PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Trade For Germaine

The Bad Guy
09-02-2001, 08:57 PM
Chiefs fans,

According to a source, the Chiefs have traded a 6th round pick for Joe Germaine.

Bubby can start packing his bags ASAP.

I like the move because it gets Brister the hell out of here, and we get younger.

KCJohnny
09-02-2001, 08:58 PM
No way!
KCJ
Hoping for Huepel

Chiefs Pantalones
09-02-2001, 08:59 PM
I trust you, Frank.

I hope Terry Shea trains him well. He will be our QBOTF!

ExtremeChief
09-02-2001, 09:00 PM
don't understand... who do they have backing up Warner now???

The Bad Guy
09-02-2001, 09:02 PM
Extreme,

The Rams signed Jamie Martin, who was released from the Jags to replace Germaine.

Marc Bulger(who could have one of the best last names in football) is Warners backup.

KCJohnny
09-02-2001, 09:02 PM
Maybe Dave Kreig or Steve DeBerg is still around to help the Lambs....

ExtremeChief
09-02-2001, 09:04 PM
thx scoop... I forgot about Bulger and I guess I missed the news about Jamie Martin...

probably didn't pay attention cause I hate the Rams...

oleman47
09-02-2001, 09:21 PM
Very good! Young, knows the system. Martz is crazy. Is Martzy going to get rid of everyone he gets mad at? All Germaine needs is experience and time. He started off ok but I think Martz blamed what was not happening all on him. Funny he didn't get mad at Faulk.

AJKCFAN
09-02-2001, 09:26 PM
Frank:

I believe you too. I just want to make sure. This is 100% done? It baffles me, not because Brister sucks, but because Brister's been a great influence on both Green and Collins and I though the Chiefs wanted a veteran at the # 3 QB, instead of an unproven youngster like Germaine.

Still, that makes two out of the 3 QB's Vermeil had from the 1999 Rams wearing the red and gold...

Germaine, this is your clipboard. Clipboard, this is Joe Germaine...

Chiefnj
09-02-2001, 09:29 PM
From what I read they liked Brister's personality but were trying to leash his wild playing style. There's a difference when you can improvise like Gannon or Flutie and when you improvise like Bubby did the other night. If there is a need for our 3rd QB the coaching staff would probably feel a lot safer with someone who is going to run the play that was called, and if it breaks apart throw it away rather than risk several turnovers that can cost you the game.

keg in kc
09-02-2001, 09:29 PM
Bulger jumped Germaine on the depth chart after Joey's horrible performance against us last week. Seems a little odd we'd give up a sixth for him considering his demotion and the fact that he was only a 4th round pick.

Not entirely surprising, though because DV drafted Germaine in '99.

Well, people who've been shouting for a QBotF might have one now if this is true.

CASHMAN
09-02-2001, 09:31 PM
so would it make alot of people happy if we keep BUBBY and release COLLINS???? i say no but what do you think?????:p

oleman47
09-02-2001, 09:36 PM
Chief
I agree. Brister just won't stay in the pocket and fails to hit the receivers when they separate. They let him roll out some, but they would not let him do that in a real game. Secondly, Brister had some words for the coaches and from what I saw he was dead.

The Bad Guy
09-02-2001, 09:37 PM
Adam,

I was talking to a guy tonight online and he told me that KC was close to trading for Germaine. I called him crazy.

Then 2 hours later, I happen to stroll over to the Ramstalk message board, and sure enough one of their writers Bernie whatever said that the Chiefs have traded for him.

So unless Bernie is inaccurate, then it's true.

Thats why I put according to a source in the original post.

I like the move because we get a guy who knows the offense, and he is young. Brister would of only been around this year. Germaine has some tools. Remember it was Mike Martz just before the preseason game who said that Joe Germaine had a better grasp than Trent Green in running the Rams offense.

Well, like usual, Martz is full of $hit.

At least Vermeil won't rip Joe to shreds in front his teammates.

AJKCFAN
09-02-2001, 09:39 PM
Frank:

Right on all counts.

If true, I'm delighted that the Chiefs reached out and nabbed Germaine.

And you know what, you just know Germaine will be just thrilled to be "coming home" to Vermeil, rather than deal with that buffoon...

keg in kc
09-02-2001, 09:41 PM
Interesting article on Germaine from the Rams' perspective: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/Sports/Rams/ADFE3ABE53F9DB6C86256ABB00559F37?OpenDocument&Headline=Jeff%20Gordon%3A%20Lessons%20learned%20from%20Germaine's%20stumble

No news yet that I can find about this on the Post-Dispatch (not a surprise...).

Another story on the Ram QB situation, this time by Miklasz (that's Bernie): http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/Sports/Rams/180868D908B5114F86256ABA0022FF18?OpenDocument&Headline=Bernie%20Miklasz%3A%20Suddenly%2C%20the%20Rams%20have%20a%20quarterback%20crisis

Martz really was rough on Germaine, wasn't he. Damn...

CASHMAN
09-02-2001, 09:41 PM
AJ- whats up dude??????

DaWolf
09-02-2001, 09:43 PM
We'll see. At least Bubby would be outta here.

I remember a few years ago there were some people on the BB who wanted the Chiefs to draft Germaine.

Hope he doesn't suck as bad as he showed. Maybe he just needed to get away from Martz like some of you guys are saying...

dwm
09-02-2001, 09:45 PM
what source, I dont see it anywhere out their. I think more like wishful thinking. Facts only please.

AJKCFAN
09-02-2001, 09:45 PM
Scott:

Hey man... looking forward to seeing you at an event or two this weekend, ya hear :)

We are gonna rock this weekend!

CASHMAN
09-02-2001, 09:48 PM
AJ - work is busy and will not be able to mke it isent you an e-mail?? but will be thinking and saying my prayers for all of you!!!!!!!! so when will you get into town????

keg in kc
09-02-2001, 09:52 PM
I think this is the message Frank's referring too, if anyone is interested:

Name: BernieM
Date: 09/02/2001
Time: 09:27:27 PM
Category:
Subject: Rams trade Germaine; sign Martin

Another scooplet for you from Rams Park:

The Rams have traded Joe Germaine to the Chiefs for a 6th round pick.

They have signed Jamie Martin, a likely move that I first reported on Friday night (for Saturday's paper).

Jamie is already in STL.

Martz said Bulger will be the No. 2 this week in Philly.

Martz said it will take Martin three weeks to digest the Rams offense -- but would know the basics by the end of the week.

More later.

Cheers,
Bernie

Luzap
09-02-2001, 09:52 PM
I'm rather neutral about this trade, but I can see the logic behind it.

I wonder how this will effect our ability to pick up a WR and/or DT?

Luz
still holding out for a top flight wr...

Otter
09-02-2001, 09:59 PM
It may not be McMahon or Brees but its a step to preparing for the future. If its true, I like it alot.

It doesn't make much sense though. Who do the Rams replace him with.

I'll take the "we'll see" approach for now.

DaWolf
09-02-2001, 10:01 PM
The question I would have is what's the real point behind the trade? I mean I understand dumping Brister and I'm all for that, but do you trade a 6th rounder for a QB to come and sit on the pine as a 3rd stringer? Unless Vermiel is unhappy about Collins, I'm not really sure about this one...

DaWolf
09-02-2001, 10:01 PM
Otter,
The Rams have already replaced him with Jamie Martin apparently...

AJKCFAN
09-02-2001, 10:03 PM
Da Wolf:

Rams were going to peddle Germaine off for a pick. Chiefs stepped up and took him before he could be had by anyone else.

Maybe Germaine and Vermeil were in kahoots all along... :D

Jub
09-02-2001, 10:09 PM
OMG.. if this is true. . WHAT THE HELL is wrong with MARTZ!?

Stlouisbob has said a few times that germaine has looked good in the first few games.. Hmm Martz apparently has memory loss or is just a stupid b!tch!

I agree that Germaine needs time and we have the QB coach to do it! Im all for getting bubbys broke a$$ out of KC! That chump is done for.

Otter
09-02-2001, 10:14 PM
DaWolf,

Thanks. I read only part of it then responded. Typical for me.

Like I said, I hope its true. I may even change my sig if it is.

Maybe we'll have a QB under 30 now. Dare I say it..."the Chiefs may actually develop a QB!!"

I need a paper towel.

oleman47
09-02-2001, 10:16 PM
Maybe KC could make a living off Martz. Just let everyone one know they have friends in KC. Trains them in the system, them when they are ready for primetime they become Chiefs.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-02-2001, 10:17 PM
"the Chiefs may actually develop a QB"

I love this coaching staff already:D

oleman47
09-02-2001, 10:19 PM
Hope Martz gets mad at Bruce.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-02-2001, 10:22 PM
"hope Martz gets mad at Bruce"

:D Me too.

AJKCFAN
09-02-2001, 10:23 PM
LOL!

Since we're asking, why not Holt and Faulk too!

Nevermind. The Chiefs have received plenty already from them and vice-versa.

I think it's safe to say that the feud between the Chiefs and Rams is long-dead and both teams are helping each other plenty.

Maybe Chiefs-Rams will play again this year...

Chiefs Pantalones
09-02-2001, 10:28 PM
AJ,

I bet the Chiefs get Marshall Faulk...

when he's old and washed up;) :D

One Arrowhead Dave
09-02-2001, 10:43 PM
A couple of thoughts on Joe Germaine....

I saw every game of his career at Ohio State and have always liked him. I'm not saying that he is NFL starter material or QBOTF but this is a good pickup.
Pros:
-Germaine hangs tough in the pocket and takes hits.
-He has a strong arm and makes good throws. Germaine throws down the field well.

Cons :
- Height (not the shortest QB either)
- 2001 preseason play

htismaqe
09-03-2001, 07:06 AM
Yeah, Cody, and they'll give up a 1st round draft pick for him, even though he would have been FREE next year... :D