PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs averaged 443 yds total offense vs Raiders in '00

KCJohnny
09-04-2001, 04:52 PM
I know that there was the problem with play selection, TOP, zone defense, etc... but when you look at the way the Chiefs have upgraded the NFL's 8th best offense, and how well we played against the Raiders under the old regime, you have to really like our chances.

443 ypg is no laughing matter. And we went over 400 ypg (twice) vs Oak in '99 as well.

A LITTLE defense (remember that?) and a little bit of TOP improvement and the Raiders will be back under the Red Curse.

KCJ
Wiping the beer bubbles from his rose-colored homervision glasses

DaWolf
09-04-2001, 04:56 PM
Problem is that 2nd game we were playing catchup all game. The Raiders O did pretty well against us.

That first game hurt. The coaches went totally conservative in the 2nd half...

keg in kc
09-04-2001, 05:11 PM
From last season:

28 rushes for 97 yards (3.5 yards per carry)
8-21 on third down (38%)
72:30 to 47:30 advantage for Oakland in Time of possession

A little improvement on 3rd down, a LOT of improvement with the running game (at least 10 more carries per game and a higher average) and an ENORMOUS amount of improvement in time of possession and we might have a chance. Anything less and we're Faider food.

Oh, and the defense will have to be at the top of their game against Brown, Gannon, Garner, Rice and Wheatley.

Gonna be a fun one! ;)

Ugly Duck
09-04-2001, 05:13 PM
Yes, yes. But Gruden has improved the Raiders as well. Last year you saw a dink-dunk game that dinked to the fullback Ritchie and dunked to WRs Brown and Rison. Its quite a problem to run a West Coast offense when your RBs and TE can't catch the ball. It really simplifies the job of the enemy defense when your offense is so predictable. You knew Wheatly was going to run straight ahead. You knew Kaufman was going to try the corner. Now that Gruden has a TE and a RB that can catch, it won't be so easy to predict the offensive play. Garner is just as apt to rush straight ahead as he is to skirt the corner, and he's one of the best receiving RBs. Gannon might throw to the TE - wutta concept in a dink-dunk game. And Rice will balance out the coverage on Brown. Those are improvements that will make it more difficult to stop the Oakland Raiders. They have not been standing still while the AFC West moved ahead.

Chiefs Pantalones
09-04-2001, 05:14 PM
FWIW, I care about this year.;)

keg in kc
09-04-2001, 05:18 PM
Duck, I hope you're not expecting more out of Roland Williams than you got out of Slick (as in butterfingers) Ricky.

BTW, am I offbase thinking there's a good chance we'll see more than a little singleback/3WR with Garner and Porter on the field?

Ugly Duck
09-04-2001, 05:36 PM
Hey Kegger......Actually, Roland has been catching the ball better than Dudley. Dudley had a mental block about catching the easy ball - no matter how hard he tried, he just couldn't resist running before he had the ball. Tough catches where he had to concentrate? He could make those. Easy balls? He dropped em. Gannon just didn't want to throw Dudley's way, a severe limitation in the D-D game. Rowland Williams catches the easy balls. But the kid that has been learning Gruden's system the past coupla years is looking real good, Mondriel Fulcher. Either one of those guys can catch the easy stuff, something Dudley could not master.

What kinda plays is Gruden cooking up? Thats a big unknown. Big Al keeps Raider practices closed. The first string didn't play much in preseason games. Who knows what Chucky has planned - but I'll wager that he's been thinking about it since the closing whistle of the AFC Championship game....

keg in kc
09-04-2001, 05:44 PM
I've been hearing good things about Fulcher.

My take on Williams wasn't about his hands -- he may actually be a better upgrade in terms of run blocking (like you needed help there :rolleyes: ). They didn't throw very many his way in St. Louis, but from watching him (since the Rams are always on here), he didn't look like the most athletic guy in the world, but he can catch the ball. I just think Bush is playing very well right now, and I think he can shut him down. Heck, linebacker is our strength as is safety -- and if you're throwing many in the middle I'll be a happy, happy guy unless it's to Rice on a wide open crossing route 20 yards downfield...

Outside is our weakness, so by all means attack the middle of the field, hehe. ;)

This game's gonna be a fun one.

TheFly
09-04-2001, 06:57 PM
Yes, and they beat us both times! :mad:

I think this year it will be different! (very optimistic)

Lowtekish
09-04-2001, 07:07 PM
If the Chiefs can stop the Raiders rushing attack then I think they'll win. Yours stats bear these points out. I don't think they've made a significant upgrade anywhere on defense (including the Trace Armstrong signing) and I think we should continue our 400+ yard game streak against them.

Find the rushing defense and we'll win handily. Time to step up Mr. Ransom...

Tribal Warfare
09-04-2001, 09:56 PM
The Raider's have the following of ugliest people on earth. It's almost impossible to look at one straight on. :D

mcan
09-05-2001, 02:27 AM
I think we will have a lot of trouble stopping the Raiders on the ground. What will save us in the end is the Raiders having to settle for field goals while we rack up a lead. Then, they will be forced to stop rushing midway through the 3rd. They will mount a good comeback, but turn the ball over late in the 4th. Probably a fumble on a sack while Gannon is scrambling around. That will seal it for the Chiefs, who will kick a field goal before the two minute mark that puts them up by 10.

KCJohnny
09-05-2001, 06:32 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the Chiefs run defense. Greg Robinson has had these guys' number for a long time.
KCJ
Glad the old donk trainer is on our side (at least for rushing defense)

mcan
09-05-2001, 06:41 AM
Well, I hope you're right John. I know the zone blitz stuff is usually pretty suspect against the run, but I just don't know what I'm going to see out of our squad. The Denver defences would be great for awhile, and then someone would break off a big run, because a linebacker would forget to plug a whole or get knocked down. Not to mention our lack of depth (understatement) at defensive tackle.

htismaqe
09-05-2001, 07:17 AM
Even in their worst years on defense, the Donks have been tough against the run (unless they're playing us!)...

I think we have the horses to get it done...it all starts on the line...

alanm
09-05-2001, 07:20 AM
Ditto the Fly. You know what they say about statistics John.