PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV Sony dropping a bomb on Xbox's Netflix service?

11-18-2008, 10:45 PM
Interesting

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/18/nxe-netflix-streaming-queues-suddenly-gimped/

Our Netflix streaming queues just got considerably shorter on the eve of the NXE (http://www.joystiq.com/tag/nxe/) launch. Acting on a tip, we popped into our Netflix account and sure enough, our "Instant Queue" had a new "Notes" column with an oft-repeated, red (nobody likes red!) notice: "Not available on Xbox." Logging onto Xbox Live (with an NXE account) confirmed that these titles were no longer available for streaming on Xbox 360.

We've reached out to Microsoft for a full explanation -- so keep your fingers crossed that this is just a launch period mishap (like someone flipped the wrong switch ... or something). We're betting on licensing issues, though, which could further cripple the service. Currently, there's no way to tell if a title is excluded from Xbox streaming until it's added to the Queue (reminder: this can only be done from a separate computer). We're not much for statistics, but we can tell you that 13 of 110 items in our Instant Queue are now unavailable, all of which are feature films. The blackout seems to have hit a range of flicks, from: Superbad to Bad Boys; Drunken Master to the entire Karate Kid trilogy (that's right -- the entire trilogy! We don't count that Next Karate Kid noise). We'll update when we learn more.

Update: We've found a common thread! All of the affected titles from our Queue are distributed by Columbia Pictures. Columbia Pictures, of course, is owned by Sony Pictures Entertainment, a subsidiary of Microsoft rival Sony. Case closed?

Oddly enough, Sony Picture Entertainment movies (listed here (http://www.netflix.com/WiGenre?sgid=2627&pgid=2223)) are still Xbox-enabled.

Update 2: It appears that the sudden yoinking of Columbia Pictures films from NXE Instant Queue access is a licensing issue with Sony after all. MTV Multiplayer pinged us with word (http://multiplayerblog.mtv.com/2008/11/18/sony-blocks-netflix-360-movies/) that, on the rental service's official blog, Netflix corp. communications VP Steve Swasey writes:

"As watching instantly becomes a more prominent part of the Netflix service, our goal is to have all of our streaming content licensed for all of our partner devices. We're doing well in this area, but it will take some time before we fully achieve that goal. Today, titles regularly come in and out of license and there is a natural ebb and flow to what we have on license at any given point in time. In the case of Xbox 360, a few hundred titles are temporarily unavailable to be streamed via the Xbox game console. Those titles are still available to be watched on subscribers' computers and on TVs via other partner devices, and we hope they'll be licensed for Xbox 360 shortly."

TinyEvel
11-19-2008, 12:06 AM
You know, there ARE thousands of movies and TV shows downloadable in SD and HD to your PS3 right now via the PlayStationNetwork.

:evil:

11-19-2008, 12:36 AM
You know, there ARE thousands of movies and TV shows downloadable in SD and HD to your PS3 right now via the PlayStationNetwork.

Yeah, but thats what Netflix is for. heh

Love the idea of downloadable content but until it is priced right, neither console is going to get very far with it. Oh, and changing up the DRM would help too.

Rentals need to be 1.99 with unlimited viewings for at least 2 days. I know it is a Studio limitation they are throwing on both consoles but it is still asinine. When it takes an hour or so to DL the movie, I would rather just hop in the car and go to Blockbuster. Viewing the movie in 10 minutes and I get all the extra features to boot.:D

I don't know about most here but if I buy a movie, I want the actual media and the right to view it whenever and on whatever device I choose.

KcMizzou
11-19-2008, 12:37 AM
Tiny E... you dirty, shilling whore.

Basileus777

A smaller selection than the XBL marketplace, even if you ignore Netflix.

TinyEvel
PSN lets you watch the movie while downloading. For rentals, you have it for 24 hours. I've found the price of the "buy it" content to be very reasonable.

11-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Tiny E... you dirty, shilling whore.

Yeah, but he is our dirty, shilling whore.:thumb:

KcMizzou
11-19-2008, 12:38 AM
Yeah, but thats what Netflix is for. heh

Love the idea of downloadable content but until it is priced right, neither console is going to get very far with it. Oh, and changing up the DRM would help too.

Rentals need to be 1.99 with unlimited viewings for at least 2 days. I know it is a Studio limitation they are throwing on both consoles but it is still asinine. When it takes an hour or so to DL the movie, I would rather just hop in the car and go to Blockbuster. Viewing the movie in 10 minutes and I get all the extra features to boot.:D

I don't know about most here but if I buy a movie, I want the actual media and the right to view it whenever and on whatever device I choose.Yep. And if not... people will just torrent it.

TinyEvel
11-19-2008, 12:39 AM
A smaller selection than the XBL marketplace, even if you ignore Netflix.

We're just getting started. And unless there's some specific random flick you want to see, there's always something good to watch. I open that thing every Friday night and have yet to be disappointed.

KcMizzou
Yeah, but he is our dirty, shilling whore.:thumb:LMAO

True enough.

kcxiv
Streaming is faster then downloading. If you have the speed to go along with it.

I love the PS3's streaming capabilities. Picture on my tv looks really nice. Its not 1080 or anything, but still pretty darn nice.

TinyEvel
11-19-2008, 12:42 AM
Streaming is faster then downloading. If you have the speed to go along with it.

I love the PS3's streaming capabilities. Picture on my tv looks really nice. Its not 1080 or anything, but still pretty darn nice.

DING!

11-19-2008, 12:43 AM
PSN lets you watch the movie while downloading. For rentals, you have it for 24 hours. I've found the price of the "buy it" content to be very reasonable.
Yeah, but if I like a movie enough, I will watch it more than once. Also, what if my wife can't sit down to watch it at the same time as me? We have to rent it a second time for 24 hours as they don't allow you to view it more than once during that 24 hour period. REally doesn't take family scheduling into account at all in its current format.

The "buy it" content is overpriced really when you consider the fact that it costs the same amount as a standard DVD and you don't get any of the bonus content. Now if they would actually sell the HD content at that price they might have something. Right now, from what I have seen anyway, you can only rent HD content.

Either way, I don't want the content tied to my PS3. I want to be able to move it to my computer or back it up on my DVD so I can view it that way as well.

Thats another thing. Why does Sony not allow you to redownload video content nor do they allow you to backup the video content on another device?

Damn, I am hammering right now.:D

TinyEvel
11-19-2008, 12:45 AM
Yeah, but if I like a movie enough, I will watch it more than once. Also, what if my wife can't sit down to watch it at the same time as me? We have to rent it a second time for 24 hours as they don't allow you to view it more than once during that 24 hour period. REally doesn't take family scheduling into account at all in its current format.

The "buy it" content is overpriced really when you consider the fact that it costs the same amount as a standard DVD and you don't get any of the bonus content. Now if they would actually sell the HD content at that price they might have something. Right now, from what I have seen anyway, you can only rent HD content.

Either way, I don't want the content tied to my PS3. I want to be able to move it to my computer or back it up on my DVD so I can view it that way as well.

Thats another thing. Why does Sony not allow you to redownload video content nor do they allow you to backup the video content on another device?

Damn, I am hammering right now.:D

Would you like a job in consumer research?
You know more about squeezing water out of the PS3 turnip than anyone I know.

kcxiv
11-19-2008, 12:48 AM
I dont even stream anything on my 360. Its all PS3. Its awesome. Also, if i want to watch something i downloaded on my 65inch in the living room. Wireless connection owns for that.

11-19-2008, 12:49 AM

I am very impressed with the streaming capability of the PS3. Playon is outstanding as well. The Netflix stream is better on Playon than the actual Netflix addon for the Xbox that you are technically paying for twice. XBOX Live and Netflix.

11-19-2008, 12:50 AM
You know more about squeezing water out of the PS3 turnip than anyone I know.To have my cheap ass opinions heard? Hell yeah.:D

TinyEvel
11-19-2008, 12:51 AM
Hey, it pays the bills...

Simply Red
You know more about squeezing water out of the PS3 turnip than anyone I know.

Have you met him? What if he looks like satan and scared all of the potential clients?

kcxiv
Well, xbox live for me is a must. I have had it since 2 months after it went live. lol

PS3 just looks like a cleaner stream anyways. Free always helps. I dont mind paying for 1 service, but i wont 2. lol

I dont even stream anything on my 360. Its all PS3. Its awesome. Also, if i want to watch something i downloaded on my 65inch in the living room. Wireless connection owns for that.

Hell, I can't stand watching video on the Xbox. I feel like a jet is trying to take off during the entire showing. It's annoying as hell.

11-19-2008, 12:52 AM
Have you met him? What if he looks like satan and scared on the potential clients?He's been in my car. At my mercy. :evil:

11-19-2008, 12:55 AM
Well, xbox live for me is a must. I have had it since 2 months after it went live. lol

PS3 just looks like a cleaner stream anyways. Free always helps. I dont mind paying for 1 service, but i wont 2. lol It's a nice service for what it does. I think $50 bucks is overpriced considering all it really grants you is the ability to play online. I love how they are starting to withhold demos for a couple weeks from the Silver members as a way to get them to upgrade to Gold.

With PS3 and even the crappy Wii online service being free, MS will eventually have to at least consider lowering the price.

Basileus777
11-19-2008, 12:57 AM
It's a nice service for what it does. I think $50 bucks is overpriced considering all it really grants you is the ability to play online. I love how they are starting to withhold demos for a couple weeks from the Silver members as a way to get them to upgrade to Gold.

With PS3 and even the crappy Wii online service being free, MS will eventually have to at least consider lowering the price.

I doubt it. People are willing to pay and they make a shitload of money from subscriptions. There are 8 million gold subscribers, they aren't going turn down that money.

11-19-2008, 12:59 AM
I doubt it. People are willing to pay and they make a shitload of money from subscriptions. There are 8 million gold subscribers, they aren't going turn down that money.Thats why I said "consider" instead of "they have to."

kcxiv
11-19-2008, 01:02 AM
Hell, I can't stand watching video on the Xbox. I feel like a jet is trying to take off during the entire showing. It's annoying as hell.

My refurbished 360 is quiet. NOt as quiet as the ps3, but compared to what i used to have before it RROD on me, its nice. Does put out tons of heat still haha. I just put it by the window now that its cold and open it.

11-19-2008, 01:05 AM
My refurbished 360 is quiet. NOt as quiet as the ps3, but compared to what i used to have before it RROD on me, its nice. Does put out tons of heat still haha. I just put it by the window now that its cold and open it. Part of me wants it to RROD since I am past my 1 year bumper to bumper warranty now. It is definitely louder now than it was the day I purchased it. Sometimes the disk will kick back out as well. Will piss me off if the disk drive fails on me though.

kcxiv
11-19-2008, 01:08 AM
Part of me wants it to RROD since I am past my 1 year bumper to bumper warranty now. It is definitely louder now than it was the day I purchased it. Sometimes the disk will kick back out as well. Will piss me off if the disk drive fails on me though.

Force it to red ring if that happens. Just wrap it in a towel and make sure it doesnt go on fire though. Overheat that bitch so the motherboard melts if you have too.

TinyEvel
11-19-2008, 01:09 AM
He's been in my car. At my mercy. :evil:

Yeah. "at your mercy" meaning a 50 minute wait in the right lane on the freeway, waiting to pull into Arrowhead.

Any Californian would have sped ahead in the #2 lane and merged over right at the offramp, giving the "prayer" gesture and the "shoulder shrug" while forcing his way onto the offramp.

TinyEvel
11-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Force it to red ring if that happens. Just wrap it in a towel and make sure it doesnt go on fire though. Overheat that bitch so the motherboard melts if you have too.

This sentence is the exact reason why anyone with any brains should buy a PS3

11-19-2008, 01:16 AM
Yeah. "at your mercy" meaning a 50 minute wait in the right lane on the freeway, waiting to pull into Arrowhead.

Any Californian would have sped ahead in the #2 lane and merged over right at the offramp, giving the "prayer" gesture and the "shoulder shrug" while forcing his way onto the offramp.I hate those drivers. :cuss::shake::)

11-19-2008, 01:16 AM
This sentence is the exact reason why anyone with any brains should buy a PS3Definitely can't argue with that.

Miles
11-19-2008, 01:19 AM
Part of me wants it to RROD since I am past my 1 year bumper to bumper warranty now. It is definitely louder now than it was the day I purchased it. Sometimes the disk will kick back out as well. Will piss me off if the disk drive fails on me though.

I bought my 360 about this time last year and it has always been rather loud. With my PS3 being relatively quite it now seems even more exaggerated when I switch over to my 360.

11-19-2008, 01:21 AM
I bought my 360 about this time last year and it has always been rather loud. With my PS3 being relatively quite it now seems even more exaggerated when I switch over to my 360. Exactly!!! It's annoying as hell. Had I not broken down to get the PS3 I may never have really noticed it as much.

Miles
11-19-2008, 01:27 AM
Exactly!!! It's annoying as hell. Had I not broken down to get the PS3 I may never have really noticed it as much.

I thought it was pretty annoying for DVD playback but since it upscaled when my older player didn't, the sound was tolerable for a while.

11-19-2008, 01:33 AM
I thought it was pretty annoying for DVD playback but since it upscaled when my older player didn't, the sound was tolerable for a while.With all the issues the Xbox had, I wasn't about to use it as a DVD player as well. Good thing the Arcade version is dropping in price now. If mine dies of anything other than RROD at least I can just snap my HDD on to the new Arcade xbox and go on as usual.

QuikSsurfer
11-19-2008, 02:01 AM
PSN lets you watch the movie while downloading.

You don't think this feature was introduced long ago on the XBL marketplace?

QuikSsurfer
11-19-2008, 02:04 AM

As an Apple guy, it's obvious how I feel about M$.

The price of the online service would go up before down.

QuikSsurfer
11-19-2008, 02:07 AM
This sentence is the exact reason why anyone with any brains should buy a PS3

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/quikssurfer/gifs/242spp5.gif

11-19-2008, 02:13 AM
http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/quikssurfer/gifs/242spp5.gif

This is a multiple console thread.ROFL

11-19-2008, 02:14 AM
As an Apple guy, it's obvious how I feel about M$.

The price of the online service would go up before down.I think, if they did that, it would be a big mistake. There will be plenty that will just keep paying but I think there will also be enough to make a dent in their model if they did raise it.

QuikSsurfer
11-19-2008, 02:16 AM
I think, if they did that, it would be a big mistake. There will be plenty that will just keep paying but I think there will also be enough to make a dent in their model if they did raise it.

I'm not saying that it is going up (I don't think it would).
I do not see the cost of service going down though.

QuikSsurfer
11-19-2008, 02:19 AM
This is a multiple console thread.ROFL

You agree with his statement?

11-19-2008, 02:23 AM
You agree with his statement?Never said that. I did purchase a 360 first.:D

PS3 was a secondary purchase and primarily for Blu Ray playback. Then I realized their games were fun too.

I do feel the PS3 is the better "all around" system to own though primarily because of the Blu Ray and streaming capabilities. Not to mention the much smaller likelihood of failure.

11-19-2008, 02:24 AM
I'm not saying that it is going up (I don't think it would).
I do not see the cost of service going down though.I agree with that. Though I do think it is overpriced slightly, my only real beef with them is the fact you have to have separate memberships for each member of the family on one console. I just think thats wrong.

QuikSsurfer
11-19-2008, 02:26 AM
I agree with that. Though I do think it is overpriced slightly, my only real beef with them is the fact you have to have separate memberships for each member of the family on one console. I just think thats wrong.

It's ridiculous.

Makes me wanna go Mac.

11-19-2008, 02:28 AM
It's ridiculous.

Makes me wanna go Mac.Bring on the Apple gaming console.

QuikSsurfer
11-19-2008, 02:30 AM
Bring on the Apple gaming console.

Claythan just woke up, sweating.

11-19-2008, 02:32 AM
Claythan just woke up, sweating.LMAO

I'll probably be looking for some more Gears action Saturday night. I have until the 28th. Want to organize something?

TinyEvel
11-19-2008, 02:34 AM
You guys sound SO ghey right now.

QuikSsurfer
11-19-2008, 02:36 AM
LMAO

I'll probably be looking for some more Gears action Saturday night. I have until the 28th. Want to organize something?
I'm down. I should be spending all of my free time packing (I'm shipping out of KC and moving back home to Mississippi) instead of mindless entertainment.
I'll bump the thread and see if we can fill up a room.
Got to wave 43 tonight on Avalanche - Hardcore with 4 players :)

11-19-2008, 02:45 AM
You guys sound SO ghey right now.You are more than welcome to join us Wingman. :)

Oh, forgot, you don't have a 360.:D

Mr. Plow
11-19-2008, 09:13 AM
You know Guru, for someone who appears to keep an eye on his pennies, you've spent what - $500-$1000 - on gaming consoles.

Lzen
11-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I agree with that. Though I do think it is overpriced slightly, my only real beef with them is the fact you have to have separate memberships for each member of the family on one console. I just think thats wrong.

Agreed. I have 3 in my household.

Lzen
11-19-2008, 09:57 AM
Bring on the Apple gaming console.

Apple would probably make an outstanding console. It would do everything the Xbox, PS3, and Wi can do only a little better and without too much hardware/software troubles.

And they would charge $1999.99 for it.

KCFalcon59
11-19-2008, 10:08 AM
You know Guru, for someone who appears to keep an eye on his pennies, you've spent what - $500-$1000 - on gaming consoles.

Don't let Guru fool you. He is secretly a millionaire. He's got money coming out of his ***!!!!! ROFL:DROFL:D

Mr. Plow
11-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Don't let Guru fool you. He is secretly a millionaire. He's got money coming out of his ***!!!!! ROFL:DROFL:D

It wouldn't surprise me to be real honest. I know some people that have quite a bit of money that don't waste money like I do.

Buck
11-19-2008, 10:22 AM
YES, FLAME WAR!!!!!!!1

Seriously though, Tiny, when the fuck are we going to be able to purchase HD Content? You can only rent it as of now, and TV Shows aren't even offered in HD, wtf is up with that?

TinyEvel
11-19-2008, 10:25 AM
YES, FLAME WAR!!!!!!!1

Seriously though, Tiny, when the **** are we going to be able to purchase HD Content? You can only rent it as of now, and TV Shows aren't even offered in HD, wtf is up with that?

When they tell me, I'll tell America.

:(

Skyy God
11-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Tried it out this am.... my connection speed (1.5 mbps) is wayyyy too low to be usable.

Reaper16
11-19-2008, 04:54 PM
BTW -- you can use Play On! http://www.themediamall.com/playon to, in essence, restore full Netflix functionality to your 360 (among other neat things).

Lzen
11-19-2008, 05:28 PM
This is awesome. I already had a Netflix service. It just told me to go online with my computer and get on www.netflix.com/activate and enter the code they had provided. Now I am watching a movie in 720p. Awesome. And it did not take any time at all to load up. My DSL is 3.0 Mbps, ftr.

Lzen
11-19-2008, 05:50 PM
After further review, I don't believe it is actually 720p. The quality is apparently up to them. The first movie I looked at was a documentary so it was a little harder to distinguish. My TV info button says it was 720p but obviously, that is because the Xbox is putting out 720p. Doesn't mean the feed into the Xbox is 720p.

11-19-2008, 07:24 PM
Tried it out this am.... my connection speed (1.5 mbps) is wayyyy too low to be usable. I am 1.5 as well. Use Playon, it is a much better picture and gives you access to much more than the XBOX/Netflix service offer.

11-19-2008, 07:25 PM
You know Guru, for someone who appears to keep an eye on his pennies, you've spent what - $500-$1000 - on gaming consoles.Who says because I am a penny pincher I won't purchase high dollar items? I buy them when I feel the time is right or when I can get the best deal. I never purchase anything on an impulse though,.

11-19-2008, 07:27 PM

My financial planner says we will be millionaires by the time we retire because of the way we invest our money wisely.

11-19-2008, 07:28 PM
After further review, I don't believe it is actually 720p. The quality is apparently up to them. The first movie I looked at was a documentary so it was a little harder to distinguish. My TV info button says it was 720p but obviously, that is because the Xbox is putting out 720p. Doesn't mean the feed into the Xbox is 720p.they haven't launched the HD streaming service yet so it is not 720p. Just DVD quality at your speed. I don't know that even 3 mb will be enough to stream the HD feeds when they finally start.

11-19-2008, 07:34 PM
looks like the Netflix website crashed tonight. I can't even get into it right now.

EDIT

Back up

Mr. Plow
11-19-2008, 07:57 PM
Who says because I am a penny pincher I won't purchase high dollar items? I buy them when I feel the time is right or when I can get the best deal. I never purchase anything on an impulse though,.

That probably came out in the wrong way. TinyEvel said it best in the other thread.....you know how to squeeze the water out of a turnip. (or something to that effect.)

I was just commenting that I always seeing you being very conscience of your money, but have 2 expensive systems. Just an observation. I'm the complete opposite....I have 2 360's & a Wii. I waste more money in a week than most people do in a month.

11-19-2008, 08:02 PM
That probably came out in the wrong way. TinyEvel said it best in the other thread.....you know how to squeeze the water out of a turnip. (or something to that effect.)

I was just commenting that I always seeing you being very conscience of your money, but have 2 expensive systems. Just an observation. I'm the complete opposite....I have 2 360's & a Wii. I waste more money in a week than most people do in a month.I wasn't offended in the slightest. Just felt the need to offer up my definition of penny pincher is all. heh

We have one debt. Our house. Everything else gets paid every single month.

Mr. Plow
11-19-2008, 08:04 PM
We have one debt. Our house. Everything else gets paid every single month.

You suck bawls.

11-19-2008, 08:07 PM
You suck bawls.Why thank you. thank you very much.:D

KCFalcon59
11-19-2008, 09:21 PM
You suck bawls.

Why thank you. thank you very much.:D

NTTAWWT

:spock:

KCChiefsMan
11-19-2008, 09:24 PM
does anyone know if streaming these netflix video's increases your bandwidth? The last couple of months I got charged about $60 extra for exceeding my bandwidth. I don't download anything except for a few songs on itunes and the only thing I could think of was that I watch a lot of stuff on the netflix watch instantly feature.

I know I'm probably a dummy for not knowing the answer to that question, but does anyone know?

Mr. Plow
11-19-2008, 09:45 PM
Just tried the Netflix deal......FUGGIN SWEET! Little download time. Good quality.

All I have to say is.....WOW!

11-19-2008, 09:56 PM
does anyone know if streaming these netflix video's increases your bandwidth? The last couple of months I got charged about $60 extra for exceeding my bandwidth. I don't download anything except for a few songs on itunes and the only thing I could think of was that I watch a lot of stuff on the netflix watch instantly feature.

I know I'm probably a dummy for not knowing the answer to that question, but does anyone know?Yes streaming uses bandwidth.

KCChiefsMan
11-19-2008, 10:11 PM
Yes streaming uses bandwidth.

damn! well I guess I better cut down on my instant que watching

J Diddy
11-19-2008, 11:09 PM
Just tried the Netflix deal......FUGGIN SWEET! Little download time. Good quality.

All I have to say is.....WOW!

I agree.

11-20-2008, 02:31 AM
I'm telling you, PlayOn is better.

Skyy God
11-20-2008, 12:43 PM
I am 1.5 as well. Use Playon, it is a much better picture and gives you access to much more than the XBOX/Netflix service offer.

This is probably a dumb question, but do I download this on my xbox and, if so, how?

Mr. Plow
11-20-2008, 12:48 PM
I'm telling you, PlayOn is better.

Can you use both on the Xbox?

11-20-2008, 02:58 PM
This is probably a dumb question, but do I download this on my xbox and, if so, how?PlayOn? Download it to your computer and then access it through your Video portion of the Xbox or PS3. If you mean Netflix then yeah, that is downloaded on the Xbox.

11-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Can you use both on the Xbox?Yep

Skyy God
11-20-2008, 04:55 PM
PlayOn? Download it to your computer and then access it through your Video portion of the Xbox or PS3. If you mean Netflix then yeah, that is downloaded on the Xbox.

Another follow up stupid question. Is there any advantage to doing that vs. just connecting my computer to my tv?

QuikSsurfer
11-20-2008, 05:04 PM
Another follow up stupid question. Is there any advantage to doing that vs. just connecting my computer to my tv?

Yes. It keeps you from having to hook up your computer to your tv. :)

11-20-2008, 05:24 PM

Yes. It keeps you from having to hook up your computer to your tv. :)

What he said. :D

Skyy God
11-20-2008, 05:48 PM
What he said. :D

Thanks for rec. The quality is much, much better (when it doesn't stop for no apparent reason).

11-20-2008, 05:50 PM
Thanks for rec. The quality is much, much better (when it doesn't stop for no apparent reason).Yeah, every now and then it will stutter at the beginning of the program but after the first few minutes it stops doing that. Most of the time it does not stutter at all.

Skyy God
11-20-2008, 06:22 PM
It's comical that CBS, the oldest skewing network, has shows available through PlayOn.

11-20-2008, 06:23 PM
It's comical that CBS, the oldest skewing network, has shows available through PlayOn.The only thing missing from PlayOn right now is ABC and some of the cable shows.

Skyy God
11-21-2008, 12:21 PM
So, is there a similar program to PlayOn for music? Specifically, for playing songs from iTunes?

Edit - It looks like you can stream by using Zune.

11-21-2008, 02:22 PM
So, is there a similar program to PlayOn for music? Specifically, for playing songs from iTunes?

Edit - It looks like you can stream by using Zune.I stream all music directly from my computer. I don't use iTunes but didn't xbox have a recent update allowing playback of protected AAC content?

Skyy God
11-21-2008, 02:41 PM
I stream all music directly from my computer. I don't use iTunes but didn't xbox have a recent update allowing playback of protected AAC content?

Not sure but that sounds right. Virtually none of my library is protected AAC, however.

11-21-2008, 03:55 PM
Not sure but that sounds right. Virtually none of my library is protected AAC, however.Then I would imagine the xbox will play it for you then.

Hootie
11-21-2008, 04:29 PM
I stream all music directly from my computer. I don't use iTunes but didn't xbox have a recent update allowing playback of protected AAC content?

everytime I try to get music to play from my library on my xbox, it doesn't work...what am I doing wrong?

TinyEvel
11-21-2008, 05:31 PM
everytime I try to get music to play from my library on my xbox, it doesn't work...what am I doing wrong?

You're using an XBox instead of a PS3.

:D

Buck
11-21-2008, 05:32 PM
You're using an XBox instead of a PS3.

:D

LOL

If I wasn't out of Rep, I would have repped you right there.

11-21-2008, 05:40 PM
everytime I try to get music to play from my library on my xbox, it doesn't work...what am I doing wrong? Well, first of all, when you say from your library do you mean from your computer? You need to make sure your computer is set up to allow sharing to your Xbox first.

Hootie
11-22-2008, 08:26 AM
I'm pretty sure we should all kiss.

Mr. Plow
11-22-2008, 07:13 PM
I'm pretty sure we should all kiss.

Well.....just once. And in the interest of inter-game system unity.

Valiant
11-22-2008, 07:48 PM
It's a nice service for what it does. I think $50 bucks is overpriced considering all it really grants you is the ability to play online. I love how they are starting to withhold demos for a couple weeks from the Silver members as a way to get them to upgrade to Gold.

Well until PS3 or sony online becomes a threat of taking customers away it won't happen..

11-22-2008, 08:07 PM
Well until PS3 or sony online becomes a threat of taking customers away it won't happen.. don't you mean Wii online? heh

I don't see them ever lowering the price because then there would be an outcry of all the members that already dropped their $50 and would want the refund of the difference. I just don't think it is worth what they charge.

Mr. Plow
11-23-2008, 12:40 PM
Eventually, when their online service becomes comparable to Xbox, Sony & Wii will start charging for their service as well. It's just a matter of time. To compete, they had to give their online service away for free.

11-23-2008, 12:41 PM
Eventually, when their online service becomes comparable to Xbox, Sony & Wii will start charging for their service as well. It's just a matter of time. To compete, they had to give their online service away for free.They'll lose me then.