PDA

View Full Version : Please donate blood if you can!!

redfan
09-11-2001, 12:27 PM
There is going to be a great need for blood in the coming weeks, so give what you can!!

Clint in Wichita
09-11-2001, 12:29 PM
Giving blood is great, but I say we extract what we need from Osama Bin Laden's organization.

HC_Chief
09-11-2001, 12:30 PM
Very good idea redhead!

Blood will be sorely needed - a tragedy like this tends to sap the supply.

tommykat
09-11-2001, 12:34 PM
Got to love Clint....lol..;)

I'd give blood, but not for sure I can. Don't you have to weigh over 110' or something? Guess I should find out.

Ugly Duck
09-11-2001, 01:28 PM
Calling all donors........Especially O-neg......make an appointment to donate. My wife runs the apheresis dept here in the North Bay and sez folks are lined up to donate - a three hour wait. As a long time O-neg donor myself, I've never seen a response like this. Americans are pulling together like Pear Harbor just happened. But there could be a critical shortage real soon when the victims need emergency operations. It will be a logistical nightmare to get the blood to the victims. Everybody that is elegable - please make an appt to donate - America needs you now....

BigOlChiefsfan
09-11-2001, 02:05 PM
And not only today, but tommorow and the day after that. The lines are so long with donors here in KC that they won't get them all processed tonite, nor can the excess blood be delivered tonite anyway while all airflight is cancelled. Luckily, it keeps for a while.

What's all that mean? It means keep those sleeves rolled up, there will still be a need for more blood donation in a day or 2, and we'll be able to deliver it.

For those of us angry enough to want 'blood to flow' this is one way to see blood flow to the right folks in the meantime.

ChiefsFanatik88
09-11-2001, 06:59 PM
I can't do my civic duty because I have a cold. That really sucks. They tell me that because of my cold, MY blood is not acceptable. I am even more pissed now.well When I get over this cold, I will donate my blood in either way to help, be it thru the needle or the gun

Raiderhater
09-11-2001, 07:03 PM
Donnier,
I was going to give blood today as well, but I have been suffering from a cold for the 3-4 days and I figured they would send me away. And really does bite.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-11-2001, 09:22 PM
Planes are leaving KCI, taking medical supplies to New York. So keep rolling up the sleeves, KC.

Bwana
09-11-2001, 09:23 PM
"Please donate blood if you can!!"

I went and did it this afternoon.......done deal.

Pitt Gorilla
09-11-2001, 10:38 PM
We had a 3 hour wait today in Columbia today.

Ugly Duck
09-11-2001, 11:38 PM
My wife just got home from the blood center where she works. They are totally swamped with folks donating blood. It got so busy that the donors, without being asked, just took over and starting manning the phones. And running the computers and logging in the folks. Those that are nurses were scrubbing arms and assisting the blank bank personnel. Then stacks of pizzas and burgers and bags of oranges just started showing up. These people didn't even leave their names - just pitched in and helped. My wife was exhausted when she got home. The news was on, and she saw the footage of the horrible scenes for the first time. Now she is crying her eyes out. I sure do love Americans - we are some OK folks.

BigOlChiefsfan
09-12-2001, 12:10 PM
Thanks Ms. Duck, and I agree with your assessment, UD. Americans are pretty OK folks. I just can't remember the last time we danced in the street when anyone else died.

Note, the donation lines here in KC currently mean a 4 hour wait.

redfan
09-12-2001, 12:30 PM
Have been advised to wait until the next few days. Too many donors for them to handle.

I LOVE AMERICA!!

Ethelyn
09-12-2001, 12:35 PM
The lines in Houston are so long that the volunteers are cutting people off at 2:00 p.m. If you aren't in line by that time, then you'll have to come back.

I can't give, because I have a sickle cell trait.

Ugly Duck
09-12-2001, 01:17 PM
You go, folks! Can you feel America pulling together in reaction to this tragedy? There are no Dems and Repubs right now - just Americans. The terrorists did not send us into chaos - they unified us big-time. I'm buying a US flag for the first time in my life - those guys have really pissed off the Duck, and I was an outspoken adversary of our mid-east policy. Now I'm just pissed off and banding together with my fellow Americans. This thing backfired on the terrorists more than they know. They have just made George Bush my president, and regulars know how I felt about HIM!

PS.....my wife said Robin Williams showed up to give blood and said, "B-positive, B-negative, just B-here!"

BigOlChiefsfan
09-12-2001, 05:12 PM
Local Channel 5 reporting that the NY Red Cross reports an adequate blood supply for now, no need for more volunteers at this time, tho' they'll keep us informed. The need for donors will continue for weeks to come. You can check on blood need any time at 1-800-GIVELIFE.

Duck, enjoyed your message & loved the Robin Williams quote.

Ugly Duck
09-12-2001, 07:22 PM
Thanks, BigOl.....you beat me to it. Today was my wife's day off, but she went to the blood bank early this morning to volunteer. She's still there at 6:30 Raider time. She says that we should stay with this donantion thing for a few weeks because of all the burn victims. There are going to be many, many operations to put the burned people back together - it will be going on for many weeks. A hearty "thank you" to all that tried to donate, its a good, good thing that you do....