PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Glazer: Haley new HC!!

Pages : 1 [2]

booger
02-05-2009, 11:51 PM
Haley's bio from Cards site, for those who haven't read up on him.

http://www.azcardinals.com/team/staff_detail.php?PRKey=164

Reerun_KC
02-05-2009, 11:55 PM
I think the offensive/defensive end doesn't always pan out. Billeck was supposed to be an offensive genius coming out but couldn't find any in Baltimore. Their Super Bowl championship is remarkable in that the offense went through a long streak without scoring, but the defense kept them in the games.

Herm was a defensive coach who only for a short time was able to make any improvement from Vermeil.

We're going to need big improvement on both sides of the ball. We are not going to be playing Gailey's spread offense, so we need to find offensive lineman that have some skills. We have no linebacker squad from which to even start to build upon, perhaps one player there who could with the right coaching become something special.

You pick your poison with either type coach. If he's smart he brings in someone competent to run both sides and sets the framework for them to work with. A head coach in this day and age cannot expect to be his own coordinator.

Some day that myth will die....

melbar
02-05-2009, 11:55 PM
I think the offensive/defensive end doesn't always pan out. Billeck was supposed to be an offensive genius coming out but couldn't find any in Baltimore. Their Super Bowl championship is remarkable in that the offense went through a long streak without scoring, but the defense kept them in the games.

Herm was a defensive coach who only for a short time was able to make any improvement from Vermeil.

We're going to need big improvement on both sides of the ball. We are not going to be playing Gailey's spread offense, so we need to find offensive lineman that have some skills. We have no linebacker squad from which to even start to build upon, perhaps one player there who could with the right coaching become something special.

You pick your poison with either type coach. If he's smart he brings in someone competent to run both sides and sets the framework for them to work with. A head coach in this day and age cannot expect to be his own coordinator.

What improvement did he make? Our #1 offense went to sh-t. Defense actually got worse. And we won less games.

PastorMikH
02-05-2009, 11:57 PM

Herm was a great Defensive coach - He didn't just improve one D, he took one of the best offenses in the NFL and helped every D in the NFL to beat it.

Silock
02-05-2009, 11:57 PM
For what it's worth, Nick seems to believe

Not much.

Arrowhead Nation
02-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Haley has accepted
http://www.kansascity.com/669/story/1020143.html

Reaper16
02-06-2009, 12:00 AM
This almost brings tears to my eyes. Its what alot of us have dreamed about for years.

A complete house cleaning. A Young Owner, a young GM and a young HC. All hungry to start their own legacies.

Its like something out of a dream. Ive watched it worked with so many other teams over the years and its finally happening with ours. :)
Shit yeah. Hell, I'm pumped up just reading this post.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-06-2009, 12:00 AM
I'm excited about our first time HC. This is a new day for the KC Chiefs. Things are being done the right way for the first time in a long time, and Clark is doing things exactly the way he said he would, The way that all of those who know what they're talking about have wanted it to happen. Here's to a beautiful relationship between Haley, and Pioli. The future kings of KC. A sincere thanks to The MAN. The one, and only Clark Hunt.

Damn Straight.

20 years of Dudley Do Wrong is a hard bitch to fix, but I praise Clark and Scott for diving right in, keeping the lid tighter than the NSA, and making a no-compromise commitment to the name, history, and fans of the Kansas City Chiefs.

We haven't even won a game yet, but I have more pride in this franchise under the new leadership than I have in years. I haven't been this pumped since the Late, Great, Fifty-Eight roamed the plains!

Greatest...Off Season...Ever!

DrRyan
02-06-2009, 12:01 AM
I am happy this is nearly over. Haley appears as a 180 degree opposite of Herm(firey, offensive minded, and has to be a better game/clock manager) which is at minimum a big improvement. Provided Haley can tone down his fire just a little and he and Pioli and work toward having a similar working relationship as Pioli and BB had the Chiefs could in the near future return to being a perennial winner making noise in the playoffs. I hope that if they have a difference of opinion regarding player personnel they will be able to work around it or avoid that player as was said to be the case with Pioli and BB, opposed to the referenced(in another thread) Haley and Parcells situation.

Reerun_KC
Damn Straight.

20 years of Dudley Do Wrong is a hard bitch to fix, but I praise Clark and Scott for diving right in, keeping the lid tighter than the NSA, and making a no-compromise commitment to the name, history, and fans of the Kansas City Chiefs.

We haven't even won a game yet, but I have more pride in this franchise under the new leadership than I have in years. I haven't been this pumped since the Late, Great, Fifty-Eight roamed the plains!

This....

HTrayne
I cant wait for Haley to get into LJ and Gonzos face!!!

I second that!

beavis
02-06-2009, 12:03 AM
DAMMIT SCOTT!!! :cuss:

Archie Bunker
02-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Very pleased with the hire, hopefully we'll get a quality staff to back him up.

beach tribe
02-06-2009, 12:04 AM
Damn Straight.

Me TOO!!! I'm PROUD to be a part of Chiefs nation again. So excited about our new regime. I hope we can win at least 7 games next season, which I believe is a possibility. Leadership is huge IMO.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-06-2009, 12:05 AM
This....

:toast:

Fuckin' allergies...

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-06-2009, 12:08 AM
Me TOO!!! I'm PROUD to be a part of Chiefs nation again. So excited about our new regime. I hope we can win at least 7 games next season, which I believe is a possibility. Leadership is huge IMO.

All of my local Card fans have been like, "stay away from our Coord"!

"It's not gonna' happen"!

"NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"!!!!! ROFL

Tomorrow will be MUCH fun!

beach tribe
02-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Looks like I may be making my first trip to Arrowhead this season.

OnTheWarpath15
02-06-2009, 12:09 AM
Don't like the hire, but I'll be behind him all the way.

I hope he works out, but I will not be pleased if he can't control his sideline and his players better than he demonstrated as an O-coordinator.

Here's my problem: We just hired Josh McDaniels but with 'maturity' issues coming from his most recent stops, a lessar resume and without any history with young QBs. I see not one single area where Haley should be considered a better candidate than McDaniels.

It's not just the attitude, it's his overall underwhelming track record.

And he's an offensive guy being tasked with coaching a team with the 2nd worst defense in football.

Ask yourselves what we'd have done had Den. made this same hire. We'd have barbecued them for it. So shouldn't we look at it with the same critical eye when the hire is made here?

LIke I said, I'll back the guy. But I'm going into this one with both eyes wide open, there are more questions than answers today, IMO.

McDaniels' O-line is decent, but it's not great. Brady's decisionmaking built a rep for that line that far exceeds its ability. Moss and Welker are at best equal to Boldin and Fitz, I wouldn't even give them that. And Warner is the better QB by far. If I'm a coordinator, I'd rather have the Cardinals setup than the Pats.

Haley called a putrid first 3 quarters of that SB. Little dunk passes and bubble screens, completely ignoring Fitzgerald. He called a good drive in the middle of the 4th and then Fitz made a hell of a play on a crossing route. Without that, the Cards would've straight up embarassed themselves on offense.

As for the 'Parcells wanted Haley' argument, I don't buy it. If Parcells wanted him, AZ couldn't have stopped the move, it's a promotion. I think that's revisionist history by folks in the Haley camp.

We'll see how it goes.

Thanks for making it easy on me.

I echo these sentiments exactly, and I hope I'm dead wrong.

Hammock Parties
02-06-2009, 12:10 AM

Meh. He doesn't excite me THAT much.

Gravedigger
Who honestly didn't see this coming? Who else was on the list? Kirk Ferentz, after telling recruits to come to Iowa then after they sign he just up and bails? Who is he Bob Huggins???

I'm looking forward to the press conference to hear the questions from the media to Clark about who he interviewed and how the entire process went. Clark usually says things straight forward so if he went after Shannahan and Cowher he'll let us know.

Mr. Flopnuts
I am going to pull the hair out of my testicles.

beach tribe
02-06-2009, 12:11 AM
:spock:

beach tribe
02-06-2009, 12:14 AM
Meh. He doesn't excite me THAT much.

I was talking about Sanchez. When he starts his first game, I will be there.

djrcmay
02-06-2009, 12:15 AM
http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1020143.html

Mr. Flopnuts
02-06-2009, 12:16 AM
FUCK

Hammock Parties
02-06-2009, 12:17 AM
You should have resigned yourself to this reality by now, Floppy.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-06-2009, 12:18 AM
You should have resigned yourself to this reality by now, Floppy.

No, you're right. It's awesome that the head coach of my fucking Chiefs yells at divas on the sidelines of championship ballgames and finds fucking rats in his fast food salad. It's a great new day for the Kansas City Chiefs football club.

beach tribe
02-06-2009, 12:18 AM
Give the guy a chance. Trust in Pioli. All coaches we're first year, and unexperienced at one point.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-06-2009, 12:19 AM

I may be making my "Triumphant Return"!

After Derrick passed, I just didn't have it in me to go back. I pretty much slept through Vermeil, though I watched Priest play a few times and even bought his jersey because he was such a stand-up guy.

I haven't seen this kind of "Aligning of the Heavens", and so quickly, in my entire tenure as a fan.
I truly believe that bringing Derrick home to the Hall is the final, and most important 'Last Order of the Old Business'. Once that is done, providence truly kicks in, and it's time to roll.

beach tribe
02-06-2009, 12:19 AM
No, you're right. It's awesome that the head coach of my ****ing Chiefs yells at divas on the sidelines of championship ballgames and finds ****ing rats in his fast food salad. It's a great new day for the Kansas City Chiefs football club.

I like his fire. Tell those diva's to shut the fuck up.

Hammock Parties
02-06-2009, 12:20 AM
No, you're right. It's awesome that the head coach of my fucking Chiefs yells at divas on the sidelines of championship ballgames and finds fucking rats in his fast food salad. It's a great new day for the Kansas City Chiefs football club.

Quite frankly we need someone who will yell at the divas and take them down a notch instead of coddling them.

Just because Haley yells at a player once inawhile does not make him Gunther Cunningham. He's not going to scream at Bowe to catch the ball with his balls.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Give the guy a chance. Trust in Pioli. All coaches we're first year, and unexperienced at one point.

This was the worst choice of them all IMO, and I said it from the start. I'll live with it. I'm a Chiefs fan, I hope I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time, and it wouldn't be the last.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-06-2009, 12:21 AM
Quite frankly we need someone who will yell at the divas and take them down a notch instead of coddling them.

Just because Haley yells at a player once inawhile does not make him Gunther Cunningham. He's not going to scream at Bowe to catch the ball with his balls.

I don't have a problem with a coach who gets in his players faces. Shit, I prefer it. I just think this guy is a loose cannon.

beach tribe
This was the worst choice of them all IMO, and I said it from the start. I'll live with it. I'm a Chiefs fan, I hope I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time, and it wouldn't be the last.

Let's hope he proves you wrong.

PastorMikH
http://www.kansascity.com/385/story/1020143.html

Can't be. There's nothing on the Planet yet from WPI about it yet.

Sure-Oz
02-06-2009, 12:22 AM
I'll say this...he can't be worse than Herm can he?!

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-06-2009, 12:24 AM
I was talking about Sanchez. When he starts his first game, I will be there.

Fuckin' A!

Is that young man not EXACTLY what you've pictured in your mind's eye as the type of QB and leader you want to see making it all come to life?!

Let go the fear people, and embrace the MOJO!!!!!!!!!!:rockon:

Agent V
02-06-2009, 12:25 AM
Can't be. There's nothing on the Planet yet from WPI about it yet.

Do you HAVE a valid credit card?

Mr. Flopnuts
02-06-2009, 12:28 AM

We're doomed. Can someone que up the Chicken Little picture please?

Hammock Parties
02-06-2009, 12:30 AM

When the new broke Nick and I were discussing cover headlines.

I offered:

HE AIN'T HERM!

unothadeal
02-06-2009, 12:34 AM

I offered:

HE AIN'T HERM!

I'd go with "Haley-luya"

djrcmay
02-06-2009, 12:46 AM
he Chiefs weren't kidding with this business about going younger

So you might have heard by now that the Chiefs hired Todd Haley to be their new head coach, two weeks after firing Herm Edwards.

Haley isn't Bill Cowher, and he isn't Mike Shanahan. But make no mistake: The Chiefs got their man. Haley's name has been on the tip of Kansas City's tongue for weeks, even before Edwards was let go a little less than two weeks before Haley agreed to become his replacement.

What's interesting about this setup is that the Chiefs' plan last year of going younger just keeps becoming reality. Did you know that three years ago, the average age of the Chiefs' owner, general manager and head coach was 62 years old?

Now that all three of those updated pieces are in place, the average age of the same positions is 20 years younger. The old man of today's group, chairman Clark Hunt, will turn 44 in two weeks.

The Chiefs did something bold Thursday when they agreed to contract terms with the 41-year-old Haley. They continued the youth movement they began, and they'll now introduce a coach who the young players can grow alongside. The Chiefs have been in the process the past three years of flushing away decades of tired football and stale results. The project isn't finished, but it took a major leap forward when Hunt hired Scott Pioli, and now the two of them have hired Haley.

The hire was daring if not especially innovative. The NFL is moving more toward younger, fiery coaches with no problem mixing it up with players if that's what the job calls for. Haley has done that, and he'll need to be bold himself if he's going to get the Chiefs under control. He'll have to contain the frequent complaints of Tony Gonzalez and Larry Johnson, convince the youngsters that, yes, winning is possible in Kansas City, and figure out just who the heck is going to play quarterback for the Chiefs long-term.

It's an awful lot of responsibility, and Pioli and Hunt trust this greenhorn with it. Haley isn't one of those men who grew into a coach the same time he grew into a man. He was a personnel man until his late 20s, when he decided to give coaching a try. It was during that time that he worked alongside Bill Parcells, when he wasn't a highly paid consultant and was just a highly paid coach, and one of Haley's colleagues was an eager personnel chief named Scott Pioli.

Haley and Pioli eventually went their separate ways, but if we've learned anything from Pioli and the handful of words he's shared with us, it's that he doesn't forget relationships.

Think all you want about Cowher or Shanahan or whomever the Chiefs didn't get. From the beginning, it was clear that Pioli would hire someone who shared his vision and had taken a similar, hardscrabble path toward NFL leadership. University of Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz, a former colleague of Pioli’s, was mentioned as a candidate for the Chiefs. So was Paul Pasqualoni, who gave Pioli his first football job as a graduate assistant at Syracuse.

Even when the bigger-name coaches were rumored as the top candidates, the ones Pioli had a connection with seemed to make more sense. Haley seemed the best fit. He was the up-and-coming star with fire and passion and the upside that Pioli couldn’t seem to ignore.

Look what he’d done for Arizona. The former receivers coach helped turn Larry Fitzgerald into the game’s best wideout. The offensive whiz kid helped turn a washed-up Kurt Warner into a quarterback worthy of MVP consideration.

Haley helped lead the Cardinals to last week's Super Bowl. That might not have been on Haley's official itinerary, but it was part of his interview with the Chiefs. He aced that leg and must have stuck the landing, too.

Now the hard work begins. Haley will appear sometime in the next few days in a suit. He'll sit in front of cameras and reporters and talk about goals and championships and trying to make this process as smooth as it can be. Haley will be suave and cool; that's tradition. The introductory news conference is about making a first impression and looking like you belong. It's a first look at the guy, a chance to size him up. The cleaned-up look never fails.

But the coach the Chiefs need is the one we've seen pictures of. You might have gotten a glance at them: Haley is unshaven, his shirt untucked, his fingers caked with dirt and sticky with sweat. He looks gruff. He looks youthful. He looks like he just rolled out of bed, threw something on and started churning.

As the Chiefs enter the final leg of their youth movement, a project that moved another step toward the finish Thursday, that's what Kansas City needs: a coach who doesn't care how it looks. Instead, the Chiefs need someone who cares about how it works.

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-06-2009, 12:53 AM
Very nice, young reporter posing as an everyday member of this board.

Quesadilla Joe
02-06-2009, 01:01 AM
ROFL

splatbass
02-06-2009, 01:03 AM
NO more has been QB's,

Arizona just nearly won the SB with a has been QB. :D

And if you call me a "true fan" I'll hunt you down....:)

Seriously, the "true fan" insult is getting really old and is really childish. Why can't you handle the fact that some people disagree with you?

DaWolf
02-06-2009, 01:08 AM
So who's going to start the official Defensive Coordinator Watch thread? Will Buddy Ryan be buying a house in Leawood soon?

Hammock Parties
02-06-2009, 01:11 AM
So who's going to start the official Defensive Coordinator Watch thread? Will Buddy Ryan be buying a house in Leawood soon?

It's gonna be Crennel. Just sit back and relax.

http://i42.tinypic.com/2469x7m.gif

CupidStunt
02-06-2009, 02:57 AM
Love the hire. Not much I can say that hasn't been said already, other than that I hope they find a good HC, possibly even Gailey, and Haley simply asserts his opinion on the OC throughout the game rather than calling plays. I'm just not a fan of HCs calling plays; their job is far bigger and more encompassing.

DaWolf
02-06-2009, 02:58 AM
So, do the odds that we draft Crabtree and try to get Cassell go up now?

ChiefsCountry
02-06-2009, 03:18 AM

Doubt it and should go jump off a cliff for suggesting it.

the Talking Can
02-06-2009, 04:36 AM
YES!!!!

we have new blood at Arrowhead

Carlism is dead.

the Talking Can
02-06-2009, 04:42 AM
New blood. Completely.

Un****ingbelievable.

AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!

the Talking Can
02-06-2009, 04:55 AM

I offered:

IT'S SHANAHAN! We were right!

FloridaMan88
02-06-2009, 04:55 AM
The De-Hermification of this franchise can now officially begin. I'm guessing Haley and Pioli are going to have several good laughs watching the gameplans from Herm's miserable coaching staff on tape from the past few years.

Mecca
02-06-2009, 04:57 AM
The De-Hermification of this franchise can now officially begin. I'm guessing Haley and Pioli are going to have several good laughs watching the gameplans from Herm's miserable coaching staff on tape from the past few years.

They'll probably have some good laughs at some of the players we were sold as being the future also....

I wonder if they'll say "what the hell kind of offense is that?"

the Talking Can
02-06-2009, 04:58 AM
can not believe the 360 in this franchise....

no way in hell I'd believe they'd go after and get pioli and a relatively unknown OC 6 months ago when Carl and Herm were still here farting in the elevators...

i love it, all of it

now give me a QB and some quality coordinators

Mecca
02-06-2009, 05:08 AM
If this team can hire a quality coaching staff and get a QB to be the franchise QB it will be the first time in forever I've felt good about the teams direction...hell they're better off now than they've been in a decade and that's without those things.

blaise
02-06-2009, 05:21 AM
By noon ESPN will have changed their website from "Jay Glazer reports" to "Chris Mortensen confirms that Todd Haley has been hired"

missinDThomas
02-06-2009, 05:48 AM
this is for all u lazy asses

Chiefs hire Haley as head coach
By ADAM TEICHER
The Kansas City Star

The Chiefs hired Arizona Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley as their new head coach, a source close to the situation told The Kansas City Star.

Details of Haley’s contract were unavailable. It was also unclear when the Chiefs would make the announcement. The Chiefs would not confirm Haley’s hiring.

While The Star learned this week that the Chiefs planned to speak with Haley, the other candidates they interviewed have not been publicly identified.

A representative with the Fritz Pollard Alliance, an organization that promotes NFL teams providing equal opportunities to minority candidates, said the Chiefs complied with the league’s Rooney Rule, which requires a team to interview at least one minority candidate for its head coaching vacancy.

Haley, who turns 42 on Feb. 28, gained prominence this season, his second as the Cardinals’ offensive coordinator. Arizona advanced to the first Super Bowl in franchise history this season mainly on the strength of Haley’s offense.

Arizona finished third in the NFL in scoring, fourth in total offense and second in passing yardage. The Cardinals set a franchise record by scoring 427 points in the regular season.

The Cardinals then advanced to the Super Bowl — where they lost to the Pittsburgh Steelers — by scoring at least 30 points in all three NFC playoff games.

The Chiefs could have pursued an established head coach such as Bill Cowher, Mike Shanahan or Jon Gruden. Instead, in hiring Haley, the Chiefs are trying to copy the success of other teams that recently hired first-time head coaches.

The Steelers (Mike Tomlin) and the Cardinals (Ken Whisenhunt) were guided by coaches in their second NFL seasons. Baltimore, which lost to Pittsburgh in the AFC championship game, was led by a rookie head coach, John Harbaugh.

Nine NFL teams will enter next season with new head coaches. Seven will be guided by rookie head coaches.

Haley will be the 11th head coach of the Chiefs. He replaces Herm Edwards, who was fired after three seasons.

He comes with a resume unlike that of any of his predecessors.

He didn’t play college football, but was a golfer. He later coached golf at Jacksonville University and worked as a golf pro in the New York City and Washington, D.C., areas.

Haley got into pro football in 1995 as a scout with the Jets, where his father, Dick, was the personnel director. He moved into coaching the next year, and his career quickly took off.

He moved from an offensive assistant to coaching wide receivers. It was also with the Jets that Haley worked with new Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli, then New York’s director of pro personnel.

The two then went their separate ways. Pioli followed Bill Belichick to New England, where the Patriots won three Super Bowl championships.

Haley moved on to coach the wide receivers for the Chicago Bears and Dallas Cowboys.

He received another big career break in 2007 when Whisenhunt brought him to Arizona to orchestrate the Cardinals’ offense. The Cardinals are loaded with talented offensive players such as wide receivers Larry Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, running back Edgerrin James and quarterback Kurt Warner, and immediately emerged as one of the league’s best offensive teams.

Danman
02-06-2009, 06:21 AM
I'm very excited about this hire. What a great off season. Very excited about the future. Hated the Herm hire and time as HC.

PHOG
02-06-2009, 06:28 AM
Now, get this dynasty thing going full throttle. :clap:

EyePod
02-06-2009, 06:38 AM
I just don't get why anyone thinks that Hali has any potential as an OLB in a 34.

It's a position that requires speed, and Hali is not fast.

I agree. His speed is perfect for a DE in the 3-4. His weight is perfect for an OLB in the 3-4. That makes him sucky in the 3-4.

EyePod
02-06-2009, 06:40 AM
Yes. Haleys offense throws too much to the WR's. :)

I would too if Leonard Pope was my fucking TE. GREAT athlete. Terrible hands. Terrible routes.

Steven Spach was finally becoming a part of their offense (he got a huge first down at the end of one of the playoff games, I think it was the Eagles). Then he got injured and couldn't play in the SB.

EyePod
02-06-2009, 06:45 AM
Damnit, dude. How fast do you type? 100 WPM? ****.

He'd only need 11 WPM. DUDE.

FAX
02-06-2009, 06:47 AM
I note with some interest, Mr. EyePod, that you have insufficient time in your extraordinarily hectic college schedule of classes, term papers, and exams to allow you to rent and watch "Tombstone" (a 130 minute film), yet time enough to post on ChiefsPlanet 24/7. Something tells me you are either not American or you hold no appreciation for the western genre which indicates that you are a commie.

FAX

EyePod
02-06-2009, 06:48 AM
The cool thing is that, very soon, we're going to find out if some of the individual performance problems we've had over the past few years were due to lack of talent or if it has indeed been the result of poor coaching. My guess is that some of the guys on our roster are actually much better than they've looked and that a real, honest-to-God coaching staff will make a significant difference in their quality of play.

FAX

Not too soon... but yeah, we'll see if Gunther can pull it around in Detroit! Cause man is he gonna have the talent he needs over there! LOL.

EyePod
02-06-2009, 06:50 AM
I think it would be neat if Haley was head coach/offensive coordinator.

You just know he's going to call his own plays, so why not?

It spreads you too thin. Wisenhunt tried this his first year in Arizona. It didn't work. The next year, he let Haley do it.

EyePod
02-06-2009, 06:52 AM
It's February... not a lot of choices.... that actually want to coach this year.

I really wanted Herm gone, but I hate the fact that we are relegated to the clearance isle for our coach and staff.

I HOPE that Haley is a great coach and we can pull a great staff out of the hat.... the one thing that I am really hoping is that Pioli has been working behind the scenes on lining up the staff.

Haley was popular for weeks actually. We might have had our eyes set on him a lot earlier.

Red Dawg
02-06-2009, 07:02 AM
Finally!

BigRichard
02-06-2009, 07:19 AM
Nevermind Im a n00b

old_geezer
02-06-2009, 07:21 AM
Originally Posted by SensibleChiefsfan
It's February... not a lot of choices.... that actually want to coach this year.

I really wanted Herm gone, but I hate the fact that we are relegated to the clearance isle for our coach and staff.

Good God man. We ended up with a coach that helped get his team to the Super Bowl. Sometimes it pays not to act too quickly. If you want somebody but you can't have him yet, but you know that nobody else can get him either - then it's smart to wait. I'm very happy.PBJ

King_Chief_Fan
02-06-2009, 07:29 AM

I HOPE that Haley is a great coach and we can pull a great staff out of the hat.... the one thing that I am really hoping is that Pioli has been working behind the scenes on lining up the staff.

first, you protest too much. You are a Hermroid and always will be.
Relagated to the clearance isle? If that is what you think, it shows how terrible Herm is. Get over it, new sherrif in town. You are with us or against us. Haley with no head coach experience is 10 times better than Herm was when he was hired with no experience.

DaKCMan AP
02-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Well, two things here. #1) I dissagree that the position requires speed. Terrell Suggs is not a blazing fast individual, and if you look over the history of the position, blazing speed is not a requirement. I think that being able to read the play is a bigger priority, and he does that well.

#2) I think Hali is plenty quick, he just gets tangled up at times and worn down from working against bigger guys. He will be able to split wider, get a jump on his guy and will have more of an element of surprise.

But, we shall see what happens... at this point, we don't even know if we are going to the 3-4.

Don't go full retard. Terrell Suggs ran a 4.65 40. For a 6'3" 257lb individual, that is BLAZING fast.

Hali is not quick and he's not undersized. He's 6'3" 275. He's bigger than most rush backers - and slower.

Here's my problem: We just hired Josh McDaniels but with 'maturity' issues coming from his most recent stops, a lessar resume and without any history with young QBs. I see not one single area where Haley should be considered a better candidate than McDaniels.

It's not just the attitude, it's his overall underwhelming track record.

And he's an offensive guy being tasked with coaching a team with the 2nd worst defense in football.

Ask yourselves what we'd have done had Den. made this same hire. We'd have barbecued them for it. So shouldn't we look at it with the same critical eye when the hire is made here?

LIke I said, I'll back the guy. But I'm going into this one with both eyes wide open, there are more questions than answers today, IMO.

Haley has a lesser resume than McDaniels? Haley hasn't worked with young QBs??? What are you talking about? Haley has 14 years of NFL experience with 4 different franchises. McDaniels has 8 years of NFL experience with a SINGLE franchise.

Haley has worked with young QBs. Haley was the passing game coordinator during Tony Romo's first year of starting. Romo was 26 at the time, the same age that Cassel was this season.

Hell no.

DaKCMan AP
02-06-2009, 07:36 AM
Additionally, it's important to note that Haley is a Florida boy. :D

From the Cardinals website:

Haley attended the University of Florida and the University of Miami before earning a bachelor's degree in communications from the University of North Florida in 1991.

Jerm
02-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Worst kept secret in the NFL TBH.

I was skeptical about Haley at first but now I'm warming up to the idea of him as HC. I love his attitude and enthusiasm towards the players and game.

My only concern is the defensive staff and how he builds it...he def. knows offense, not worried about that at all. Hopefully we can snag Crennel or someone like that for DC.

I wonder if this brings Crabtree in play at #3???

Rooster
02-06-2009, 08:27 AM
It's incredible to think that there's no more Good Ole' Boy network with Carl bringing back all his cronies from the USFL, UCLA, the Philadelphia Eagles or former coordators or scouts to run this team.

We now have a fresh, successful face in the front office, and an exciting, new, young HC to guide this team for the foreseeable future.

It's about as exciting of a time as I can remember as a Chiefs fan.

You said it. I'm looking forward to this ride.

TEX
I'm so looking forward to NOT being OUT COACHED EVERY Sunday...

Craqhead

I doubt that we are gonna give 2 first round draft choices for Cassell.

Rooster
02-06-2009, 08:29 AM

Well we won't hold that against him. :)

blaise
02-06-2009, 08:29 AM
By noon ESPN will have changed their website from "Jay Glazer reports" to "Chris Mortensen confirms that Todd Haley has been hired"

I stand corrected. It's only 8:30 and already the WWL in Self Aggrandizing has expunged Jay Glazer and credited Chris Mortensen.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3888387

Basileus777
02-06-2009, 08:34 AM
I doubt that we are gonna give 2 first round draft choices for Cassell.

We wouldn't have to. But I doubt Cassel is coming here.

seaofred
02-06-2009, 08:35 AM
What is taking so long with the D-coordinator? Pioli is so slow. Just kidding.

MOhillbilly
02-06-2009, 08:36 AM
ill believe the 'second coming' when i see it.

Show Me.

shakesthecat
02-06-2009, 08:37 AM
What the Bad Guy said!

It feels kinda strange having a sense of opitmism again

Craqhead
02-06-2009, 08:37 AM

Maybe its just me... but during the time after our last game and CH hired Pioli. I think Scott was on the phone (the old friends). Spoke w/ them about what they could do in KC. He has a plan, sure the media is clueless about it, which makes the fans all the more nervous, because for years we've been feed a steady dose of BS from King Carl and his coaching staff.

In Pioli and Todd we trust. Thank the Football Gawds that Clark is ushering in a new day at Arrowhead.

Craqhead
02-06-2009, 08:43 AM
We wouldn't have to. But I doubt Cassel is coming here.

For now, he remains a free agent, but the Patriots can match any offer made by another team or allow him to sign with that team in exchange for two first-round draft picks. The franchise tag value is the average of the top five paid NFL players at a particular position.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3887262

Lzen
02-06-2009, 08:43 AM
I'm so looking forward to NOT being OUT COACHED EVERY Sunday...

This

HemiEd
02-06-2009, 08:45 AM
I'm just looking forward to an offensive scheme that doesn't rely solely on the punt to compete.

FAX

We can hope Colquitt heals up over the offseason, because he should now be good for a few more years. He was going to be used up, in one more season under Herm.

RippedmyFlesh
02-06-2009, 08:47 AM
God I hate that argument. The shit is getting really old.
Exactly.
Already having in their eyes a franchise qb Bledsoe, they take a feeler on a late round qb brady who turns out to be franchise qb.So what do they do?
Take a feeler on a late round qb cassel.
If they didn't have a franchise qb they would have drafted a qb higher instead of taking late round qbs.

Basileus777
02-06-2009, 08:48 AM
For now, he remains a free agent, but the Patriots can match any offer made by another team or allow him to sign with that team in exchange for two first-round draft picks. The franchise tag value is the average of the top five paid NFL players at a particular position.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3887262

Or they can just trade him for whatever they want. And they won't be demanding two high first round picks.

FringeNC
02-06-2009, 08:53 AM
From Carl/Herm to Pioli/Haley...

What an upgrade. Exciting time to be a Chiefs' fan.

Skip Towne
02-06-2009, 08:54 AM
ill believe the 'second coming' when i see it.

Show Me.

Exactly. We went through this
guaranteed Super Bowl" thing with DV

KCrockaholic
02-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Awesome, they got my guy! we have a pretty good staff now!

RINGLEADER
02-06-2009, 09:05 AM
It's incredible to think that there's no more Good Ole' Boy network with Carl bringing back all his cronies from the USFL, UCLA, the Philadelphia Eagles or former coordators or scouts to run this team.

We now have a fresh, successful face in the front office, and an exciting, new, young HC to guide this team for the foreseeable future.

It's about as exciting of a time as I can remember as a Chiefs fan.

Amen.

Frazod
02-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Excellent. I was prepared for the Rat, but I'd much rather have Haley. Plus, with Haley we don't have to get our souls extracted.

MOhillbilly
02-06-2009, 09:13 AM
Plus, with Haley we don't have to get our souls extracted.

good point.

Mr. Laz
02-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Awesome, they got my guy! we have a pretty good staff now!
why is Haley your guy .... other than he was hired?

Mr. Laz
02-06-2009, 09:15 AM

Haley attended the University of Florida and the University of Miami before earning a bachelor's degree in communications from the University of North Florida in 1991.
Die in a fire

missinDThomas
02-06-2009, 09:15 AM
now if all of this offseason goodness rolls over to on the field, it will truly feel good

BigChiefFan
02-06-2009, 09:17 AM
Nobody has guaranteed a Super Bowl, but I can tell you our odds went up considerably by replacing Carl and Herm with people that actually have a clue on how to be successful in the NFL.

Christofire
02-06-2009, 09:28 AM
I just want to be the first to Bennifer our new coach/GM combo:

Halioli.

Sure-Oz
02-06-2009, 09:31 AM
Any word on a PC yet?

Chiefs Pantalones
02-06-2009, 09:33 AM
Any word on a PC yet?

No, the Chiefs official site hasn't confirmed the hire yet. I'm sure once they do we'll hear about a press conference time. Mort said later today, so that means next Thursday.

HemiEd
02-06-2009, 09:35 AM

We won't hold that against him, we have to give him a fair chance since he is from a Wichita, Kansas coaching tree. :D

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-06-2009, 09:37 AM
Doubt it and should go jump off a cliff for suggesting it.

He Who Shall Not Be Named. I suggest the "Give it up and get it out of your head"-thread regarding the most unwise usage of our 3rd overall.

I would also suggest mandatory Neg Rep for those who NAME "He Who Shall Not Be Named".

See Below:

Worst kept secret in the NFL TBH.

I was skeptical about Haley at first but now I'm warming up to the idea of him as HC. I love his attitude and enthusiasm towards the players and game.

My only concern is the defensive staff and how he builds it...he def. knows offense, not worried about that at all. Hopefully we can snag Crennel or someone like that for DC.

I wonder if this brings Crabtree in play at #3???

Excellent. I was prepared for the Rat, but I'd much rather have Haley. Plus, with Haley we don't have to get our souls extracted.

Amen. We shall NOT be tainted by the Rat. That alone is reason to dust off that vintage bottle of wine you've been holding, and drink every last drop in pure joy.

Mr. Flopnuts
02-06-2009, 10:23 AM
Let's hope he proves you wrong.

I'm no where near an egomaniac. I'll be rooting for him to prove me wrong like no other.

DeezNutz
02-06-2009, 10:28 AM
I'm no where near an egomaniac. I'll be rooting for him to prove me wrong like no other.

You ok, Flopnuts? Long night of pulling?

CupidStunt
02-06-2009, 10:31 AM
I just want to be the first to Bennifer our new coach/GM combo:

Halioli.

It's Haoli, and I coined it a while back.

Sorry.

Hootie
02-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Did you find this in the premium forum at WPI?

FAX
02-06-2009, 11:15 AM
You ok, Flopnuts? Long night of pulling?

There once was a poster appalled
By the news that Todd Haley was called
To head coach the Chiefs
So he reached in his briefs
Now poor Floppy's nutbag is bald

FAX

Sweet Daddy Hate
02-06-2009, 11:38 AM
There once was a poster appalled
By the news that Todd Haley was called
To head coach the Chiefs
So he reached in his briefs
Now poor Floppy's nutbag is bald

FAX

LMAO

Rep!

tomahawk kid
02-06-2009, 12:41 PM
I sincerely wish I could get as fired up and excited as some of you guys.

I just don't feel it about this guy.

I really hope I'm wrong.