PDA

View Full Version : Life Do you live paycheck to paycheck?

El Jefe
04-03-2009, 08:55 AM
A spinoff from the R8er financial thread. He said he heard a statistic of 70% of Americans living paycheck to paycheck. Simple question, do you live paycheck to paycheck? I do, and I only know a few people who don't live paycheck to paycheck.

Demonpenz
04-03-2009, 08:57 AM
yes, it sucks not knowing if you are going to make it. Rent, cable, car, car insurance, beer, cell phone, gas, electric, insurance times are tough. I am thinking about shutting off my cell phone (it just annoys the shit out of me anyway)

Fat Elvis
04-03-2009, 08:58 AM
I'm not exactly sure what is meant by living from paycheck to paycheck. Does someone who is living from paycheck to paycheck have no savings or money in the checking account?

Dayze
04-03-2009, 08:58 AM
We didn't used to. Layoff and new job at a 40% pay reduction, we're basicaly near a break even with money going out vs. money coming in.

Lifestyle changes are a'plenty.

But for the most part - we work our a&& off just to break even. Planning for retirement? lol....not even in the cards at this point. I'll be working until I die.

Garcia Bronco
04-03-2009, 09:00 AM
No. thank God. It's no accident either. It's taken years of proper planning and career goals to get to this point.

sedated
04-03-2009, 09:01 AM
I'm not exactly sure what is meant by living from paycheck to paycheck. Does someone who is living from paycheck to paycheck have no savings or money in the checking account?

yeah, I'm wondering the same.

I don't exactly have a huge nest-egg, and couldn't go very long without a job, but I've got at least a paycheck's worth in checking, twice in savings, plus 401(k). I guess could manage a couple months if I had to.

Hydrae
04-03-2009, 09:01 AM

Yes. Paid monthly, today is the 3rd and I have $40.00 in the bank. All bills have been paid and food stocked. Thankfully my wife does some babysitting and brings in $40-$100 a week so we have incidental money.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-03-2009, 09:03 AM
A spinoff from the R8er financial thread. He said he heard a statistic of 70% of Americans living paycheck to paycheck. Simple question, do you live paycheck to paycheck? I do, and I only know a few people who don't live paycheck to paycheck.

Yep, but it beats dying in between.

With the reduction in my business, and the decline in the housing market, I struggle just to pay my mortgages. My wife still contributes to the 401k, and long term we are great, BUT, right now, it is a struggle.

Demonpenz
04-03-2009, 09:03 AM
I forgot about student loans. what a rip, pay 30k and barely break even

Dayze
04-03-2009, 09:04 AM
bummer for me is, I'm doing a job that I hate, for 40%less pay. It was 'ok' before as the money was good enough to outweigh how much I hate the job. Now it just sucks, and we're broke. lol

I've considered a drastic career change by going to culinary school etc...but Idon't think I have the balls to make that switch. OTH, if I'm going to be broke, I might as well do something I enjoy (cooking etc).

Demonpenz
04-03-2009, 09:04 AM
You can get alot of shit from dollar tree, that is what I am finding out

Fat Elvis
04-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Yep, but it beats dying in between.

With the reduction in my business, and the decline in the housing market, I struggle just to pay my mortgages. My wife still contributes to the 401k, and long term we are great, BUT, right now, it is a struggle.

Nothing personal, but I think having multiple mortgages automatically disqualifies you from living paycheck to paycheck. You could always sell one of the homes and have plenty of cash on hand.

Edit: I see on another thread that you have seven homes; that definitely disqualifies you from the definition of living paycheck to paycheck IMO.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-03-2009, 09:11 AM
No. thank God. It's no accident either. It's taken years of proper planning and career goals to get to this point.

Yeah, this. Throw in a shit ton of sacrifice and self discipline and you have a recipe for security. As much as the average man can hope for anyway. Lacking a complete college education I count us blessed to make what we do. We could have more toys, but I'd much rather not worry about how something's going to be paid for when life hits. I've learned the hard way that life always hits.

Pioli Zombie
04-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Again. Didn't used to. Then divorce.

KILLLLLL MEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Lumpy
04-03-2009, 09:13 AM
My hubby and I are very fortunate and haven't been in the 'red' in a long time. We usually have a few monies left after paying all our bills.

CoMoChief
04-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Im able to save a little bit, but not much.

I hate having 2 other roomates really. Kinda getting at the point where I just kinda want my own place, but the rent for a 1-2 bedroom down here (not near campus is somewhat out of my price range to where I wouldnt be living "comfortably" Not really at the point where I can put a down payment on a house or condo etc, otherwise i would.

MOhillbilly
04-03-2009, 09:15 AM
kinda sorta. depends on how much i party and what i have to pay. i have less that 6K in debt mostly for toys and upkeep on the house/farm but no CC debt.

Saulbadguy
04-03-2009, 09:19 AM
We'd be fine if we missed a paycheck, so I guess not.

El Jefe
04-03-2009, 09:24 AM
We didn't used to. Layoff and new job at a 40% pay reduction, we're basicaly near a break even with money going out vs. money coming in.

Lifestyle changes are a'plenty.

But for the most part - we work our a&& off just to break even. Planning for retirement? lol....not even in the cards at this point. I'll be working until I die.

Man sorry to hear that, looks like that will be my MO also.

Dayze
04-03-2009, 09:28 AM
Man sorry to hear that, looks like that will be my MO also.

I'm ok with the lifestyle changes; I'm easily entertained etc. Mostly just sucks doing the exact same job for so much less money. But, I know i'm not the only one etc.

Perhaps when the enconomy turns around (whenever the hell that is), we may position ourselves financially (downsizing home etc) so culinary school is 'in the cards' for me. I know cooks/chefs etc don't make very much but that's ok as long as we can prepare etc.

Good luck man; there are a lot of folks in the same situation as you and I.

Katipan
04-03-2009, 09:33 AM
I don't live for my bi-weekly checks.
I live for my b/f's weekly checks.

SenselessChiefsFan
04-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Nothing personal, but I think having multiple mortgages automatically disqualifies you from living paycheck to paycheck. You could always sell one of the homes and have plenty of cash on hand.

Edit: I see on another thread that you have seven homes; that definitely disqualifies you from the definition of living paycheck to paycheck IMO.

Actually, I can't. Not with the decline in the housing market. The best I would do is break even on most of the homes, and one I would take it in the shorts for 100K

Priest31kc
04-03-2009, 09:44 AM
yep sure do. Im only 20 yrs old w/ 2 kids already, but I have a really great job for the hours I work (about 15 a week), and I do some work online for my dad's business.

But yes, we live by paycheck to paycheck, especially since my baby mama doesnt work, yet, she will soon though as hostess at a diner, thank God.

And were kinda lucky we live in Income based apartments and they have no idea I'm working since I'm an independent contractor, and if they did find out, they wouldnt care lol. So I basically have no rent at the moment.

But its hard to save, it really is, if my van breaks down, which I need to do my job, I would probably have to get help from my dad because I wouldn't have enough. But I think im doing pretty good for being 20 w/ 2 kids and no income from my gf.

sparkky
04-03-2009, 09:44 AM
nope, not for 15 or 20 years. and no debt other than normal living expenses.

as I got older my lifestyle and desires got less complicated and much simpler. ever heard the old story about hanging a carrot from a stick tied to a donkey? story has it he will forever chase that carrot, ever remaining just out of reach.

I, personally, refuse to die chasing "the golden carrot". I've been VERY lucky in my life so I'm content to gear down and enjoy what time I have left.

ETA:
most of you reading this wouldn't even consider living like we do, where we do and how we do.

El Jefe
04-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Wow even split in the polls with 22 a piece.

jidar
04-03-2009, 09:55 AM
I don't live paycheck to paycheck. We do fine. The funny thing about it is, I'm not really that good with money either. I tend to make impulse purchases and I don't save or invest that much at all, especially not for my income. We blow a ton of cash just eating out or crap like that...

But! My natural tendency to be a cheap bastard and not give a fuck what other people think has served my finances well. I live in a house that cost 1/4 what the bank offered to loan me, and I buy cars that are fraction of what I can afford. Just those two things puts me so far ahead of how the average middle class family handles their money that no amount of me blowing cash on electronics or my family eating out can really make my finances look bad in comparison.
I also don't freak out and dump money into every little thing that bothers me about my house and cars in an attempt to have the perfect life either.

Mr. Plow
04-03-2009, 09:57 AM
I have 4 kids under the age of 10. Yes, I live paycheck to paycheck.

Priest31kc
04-03-2009, 09:59 AM
I don't live paycheck to paycheck. We do fine. The funny thing about it is, I'm not really that good with money either. I tend to make impulse purchases and I don't save or invest that much at all, especially not for my income. We blow a ton of cash just eating out or crap like that...

But! My natural tendency to be a cheap bastard and not give a **** what other people think has served my finances well. I live in a house that cost 1/4 what the bank offered to loan me, and I buy cars that are fraction of what I can afford. Just those two things puts me so far ahead of how the average middle class family handles their money that no amount of me blowing cash on electronics or my family eating out can really make my finances look bad in comparison.
I also don't freak out and dump money into every little thing that bothers me about my house and cars in an attempt to have the perfect life either.

Yeah we eat out alot too, and we shouldnt, but the gf always wants to, and I always give in. I always feel guilty after droppin 25 bucks at El Magueys, knowing that 25 could be in the bank!!

rageeumr
04-03-2009, 10:01 AM
Settling down relatively early in life helped me out. I got engaged at 22 and married at 24. Not only does the DINK help tremendously, but I don't spend nearly as much money as my single friends. I don't need to spend money on cars, clothes, etc because I have no one to impress. Plus I spend about a quarter of what they spend at the bar.

Kyle DeLexus
04-03-2009, 10:03 AM
Settling down relatively early in life helped me out. I got engaged at 22 and married at 24. Not only does the DINK help tremendously, but I don't spend nearly as much money as my single friends. I don't need to spend money on cars, clothes, etc because I have no one to impress. Plus I spend about a quarter of what they spend at the bar.

Come on, your wife deserves to be impressed!

ModSocks
04-03-2009, 10:03 AM
I live paycheck to paycheck, though i shouldn't have too. My GF and I just aren't very good with money. We're too impulsive. We'll get paid, and then go drop $150.00 bucks at a nice restraunt. Our bills take up only 35% of our monthly income, yet we're broke every month.

The Franchise
04-03-2009, 10:04 AM
I used to back when I was 18-25. Now I'm more worried about paying down my CC debt as much as I can before my student loans kick in. I have money in savings and money left over in my checking account each paycheck. My fiance is saving her money as well.

Skip Towne
04-03-2009, 10:07 AM
No, I'm a Fed-Ex truck driver. We're all rich.

TrebMaxx
04-03-2009, 10:14 AM
As long as the wife and I don't lose our jobs we are doing alright. If she lost her job, we would probably be paycheck to paycheck. If I lost mine, we would have to dig into our investments. As it stands right now we are able to put money away every month.

melbar
04-03-2009, 10:15 AM
I didnt used to. My Grandmother (who raised me) developed Alzheimers a couple of years ago and her insurance was all screwed up. Her care has wiped out our savings and put us in debt. Just got insurance help sorted out last month so the bleeding has stopped at least. Unfortunately, in the last 2 months our fridge, microwave, 1 car, kitchen lights, and as of last night our central air have all pooped out. Been a weird couple of years...

|Zach|
04-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Yes, although it seems this will change later in the summer maybe sooner.

Dayze
04-03-2009, 10:30 AM
I didnt used to. My Grandmother (who raised me) developed Alzheimers a couple of years ago and her insurance was all screwed up. Her care has wiped out our savings and put us in debt. Just got insurance help sorted out last month so the bleeding has stopped at least. Unfortunately, in the last 2 months our fridge, microwave, 1 car, kitchen lights, and as of last night our central air have all pooped out. Been a weird couple of years...

wow...a rough go.
There's something to be said about what you're doing though; a very noble thing to do. :clap:

El Jefe
04-03-2009, 10:47 AM

Man that's rough. We have a customer who is an elderly gentleman, he used to be pretty weathly, and living the nice retired life. Well his wife got cancer, and it has sucked every bit of money he ever had out of him, he is very rough off now, I feel bad for the guy. Kudos to you and what you have done.

wutamess
I have 4 kids under the age of 10. Yes, I live paycheck to paycheck.

Not a dick waving contest but I have 4.5 kids and I don't live paycheck to paycheck. Haven't since sometime around 2001 when I started making my yearly budgeting program.

In 2004 started listening to Ramsey and it's been goodbye to debt & stupid money decisions. As of now The wife has been laid off since November and I honestly don't think she'll get a job this year. I took a $15k paycut when i got laid off from Sprint last year but we manage just fine.

If we both weren't working, I'd suppose we could go a year or more without jobs. That'd totally drain everything we have though.

I write about my financial stuff on my blog (clicking an ad or 2 would surely help me stay from living paycheck to paycheck) but I haven't been updating it like I should because I've been busy as hell. Oh well.

El Jefe
No, I'm a Fed-Ex truck driver. We're all rich.

That's the word anyway.

SAUTO
04-03-2009, 10:51 AM
LMAOWHAT is a paycheck?

TrebMaxx
04-03-2009, 10:54 AM

Man, that sounds like a tough deal. Rep to you for doing what you have for your Grandmother.

SLAG
04-03-2009, 10:57 AM
anyone else here use MINT?

http://www.mint.com

suds79
04-03-2009, 11:05 AM
We don't and it's not like we make a ton of $$ either. We're very average I'd say.

But about a few years ago my wife & I were listening to the Dave Ramsey show on the radio and the common sense concept of actually saving up $$ before you buy it (I know imagine that) really spoke to us.

So now we're debt free except for our house (we'll get there someday) and it's pretty nice.

I always highly recommend his book the Total Money Makeover... Okay there's my plug.... I think I should get a cut. ;)

El Jefe
04-03-2009, 11:06 AM
Not a dick waving contest but I have 4.5 kids and I don't live paycheck to paycheck. Haven't since sometime around 2001 when I started making my yearly budgeting program.

In 2004 started listening to Ramsey and it's been goodbye to debt & stupid money decisions. As of now The wife has been laid off since November and I honestly don't think she'll get a job this year. I took a $15k paycut when i got laid off from Sprint last year but we manage just fine.

If we both weren't working, I'd suppose we could go a year or more without jobs. That'd totally drain everything we have though.

I write about my stuff on my blog but I haven't been updating it like I should because I've been busy as hell. Oh well.

I've read you blog, good info on there. One point I want to make, is on my money situation. I have always been very smart in spending money and paying bills, my credit score at an early age is fantastic, so that has helped me in different ways. The biggest thing with me, I spend my money wisely, I just flat out don't make enough money to impact my future at this time. I'm sure there are many people who after paying bills just don't have much left. So it can be very annoying at times, but im just thankful I have a job right now. There are plenty of people worse off than I am.

DaneMcCloud
04-03-2009, 11:32 AM
Not for over a decade, but I can sure empathize with those that do.

I used to live paycheck to paycheck. The first thing I do Friday at 5:01 pm was cash my paycheck. I didn't have a bank account because I didn't have any money to save. I'd increase the number of withholdings in payroll so I'd maximize my weekly pay (when you're not making any money, the government always took out too much. I didn't care about getting money back - I needed money weekly!).

At one point living week to week, my car died. Instead of replacing it, I began riding the city bus to work. After about 18 months without a car (and some serious promotions at work), I was able to afford a vehicle. But we still lived in an ant and roach infected apartment in West Hollywood. Yuck.

Good luck to everyone.

Sure-Oz
04-03-2009, 11:47 AM
Mostly yes...i still have savings/spending money but i am paying on bills moer lately so i can get them paid off and have way more money. i am working 80 hours a week right now for the next month and a half so ill be rollin.

EyePod
04-03-2009, 11:54 AM
No, but I don't get a paycheck...

Deberg_1990
04-03-2009, 11:59 AM
I thought Obama was supposed to take care of this?

Pay your car payments, mortgage, etc....

wutamess
04-03-2009, 12:07 PM
Also, CP is a bad sample to use as a statistic.
Chances are if you have a computer with teh internets you're somewhat educated.

Being somewhat educated means that you're not taking into account the uneducated.
So if approximately half the educated folks (on the internets) live paycheck to paycheck then the "uneducated folks" would probably fair mush worse. In conclusion, Id say 70% is probably a good number.

I'm willing to bet there's more people that don't use the Internet than do.

Just my .02

Deberg_1990
04-03-2009, 12:10 PM

Just my .02

U really think there are that many people out there under 35 that dont use a computer??

wutamess
04-03-2009, 12:16 PM
U really think there are that many people out there under 35 that dont use a computer??

I don't see an under 35 disclaimer. :shrug:

kindra68
04-03-2009, 12:22 PM
I'm under 35 and i don't have a computer (at the house)
And it damn sure makes it hard to find a job since most of the decent jobs require Internet access. Or at the very least an e-mail address.
Which is crazy, cause if you don’t have access to the internet, how in the heck do you check your e-mail?
I mean Burger King will call you. Cooper Tire. RRAD, or I.P will send you an e-mail.
And I mean really, do you want to be 50ish and flip the same burgers that you started out flipping back in the day?

PRIEST
04-03-2009, 12:22 PM
Yes Things are rough all over, Getting better though :)

Deberg_1990
04-03-2009, 12:24 PM
And it damn sure makes it hard to find a job since most of the decent jobs require Internet access. Or at the very least an e-mail address.
Which is crazy, cause if you don’t have access to the internet, how in the heck do you check your e-mail?
I mean Burger King will call you. Cooper Tire. RRAD, or I.P will send you an e-mail.
And I mean really, do you want to be 50ish and flip the same burgers that you started out flipping back in the day?

Thats a good point.

Id almost say that owning a home computer with internet access is a necessity in todays world.

Katipan
04-03-2009, 12:26 PM

When I first moved to Waterloo I used the library to send my resume out. I could get a bar job without the Internet, but not a job that doesn't make my mother cringe.

kindra68
04-03-2009, 12:34 PM
When I first moved to Waterloo I used the library to send my resume out. I could get a bar job without the Internet, but not a job that doesn't make my mother cringe.

Totally agree!
The only bad thing about the library is, it’s in the “not so nice” part of town. Do you know how hard it is to concentrate on your resume with the homeless dude sitting beside you, whipping his boogers on his coat, actually is?
But yes the library’s internet has been used.

Mr. Kotter
04-03-2009, 12:39 PM
A lot of people decieve themselves. Unless you have 6 mos of salary saved up, unless you have very good health insurance and life insurance plans, unless you have saved a considerable chunk of money for both your retirement and your children's future education.....you are, by definition, living paycheck to paycheck. A family who isn't prepared in the way I've described.....and gets hit with unemployment, a major illness, a sudden death, or a natural disaster....are literally one or two incidents from bankruptcy, and thus are living paycheck to paycheck.

Thus, the 70% figure is probably even conservative.

Buehler445
04-03-2009, 12:56 PM
A lot of people decieve themselves. Unless you have 6 mos of salary saved up,

I have just about that, but most of it I'd rather not use for that stuff.

unless you have very good health insurance and life insurance plans,

Don't have that. All I have is through the company. But I'm 25. I'm not going to get independent health insurance. I need to get on life though.

unless you have saved a considerable chunk of money for both your retirement and your children's future education

Again, I'm 25. I'm plugging 8% into my 401(k) with 6% employee match Tintil they take it away...). Nothing saved up for kids. No kids now.

.....you are, by definition, living paycheck to paycheck. A family who isn't prepared in the way I've described.....and gets hit with unemployment, a major illness, a sudden death, or a natural disaster....are literally one or two incidents from bankruptcy, and thus are living paycheck to paycheck.

I'd say I'm pretty close. I don't make a lot of money, but I'm a cheap piece of shit, so have done well with what I have. Looking for a better job, but there isn't a lot out there without the magic 5 years experience. Once the wife gets a full time teaching gig it will help.

I would definitely start living paycheck to paycheck if a kid comes into the picture or I buy a house that is too much more than my rent payment without an increase in income.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaKCMan AP
04-03-2009, 01:06 PM
No, thankfully I'm in good shape.

Ebolapox
04-03-2009, 01:28 PM
I'm 26, my wife and I both work (I work full-time, and my wife works 25 hours a week)... I have school full-time. I work my ass off, spend frugally, and save as much as possible. the REAL fun is when I'm finally done with school, then financial aide will come calling.

aside from that, we're in damned good shape. could it be better? sure. it could ALWAYS be better. but it could be much worse.

whatsmynameagain
04-03-2009, 03:11 PM
i have a fulltime job and an ebay store. im making more money now than i ever have and spending way less. i was planning this to be the year i went solo but all of a sudden my day job is paying me about $1200 extra a month and so i keep my foot in the door for a little longer. to get ahead, you must work harder.
Posted via Mobile Device

Iowanian
04-03-2009, 03:21 PM
I was financially stronger 2 years ago by a long way, but I have many reasons for that...I've been shelling my nest egg to remodel a house and start/support a new company.

Things are looking up though, I've pretty much cut out 1 of the side jobs I've been doing. While this year has had some ups and downs, I've been very busy lately....busting my ass long hours to make deadlines(past midnight 3 nights this week). Today, my biggest client called 3hrs before I finished this project/deadline and told me they were increasing my lower end contract by 22% because I've been kicking ass for them.

I hadn't asked for anything, and have been getting quite a bit at my higher rate......but with workload have been doing more of the lower.....a very unexpected, but much appreciated surprise.

We're not exactly check-check but I'm going to keep busting my ass and eventually will be ahead far enough to rest.

BWillie
04-03-2009, 03:35 PM
I don't understand people that live paycheck to paycheck. It boggles me how much money people don't have sometimes. I live in a house, that I rent out. Rent is $330 which INCLUDES utilities this month. 2 of 3 of my roommates have to pay me $100 today, and $100 next week ect. It took one of my roommates until the 20th last month to pay full rent. How the f*ck do you not have $330 laying around that you can pay for? What if you needed money for an emergency? I have enough money in the bank to pay $330 44 times. I mean you gotta be kidding me. Financial responsibility, not that hard.

Iowanian
04-03-2009, 03:38 PM
Maybe they work for $9/hr...Maybe they have too much shit they don't need...maybe they drive a car they can't afford...maybe too many visits to Abercrombie for $200 T shirts....maybe student loans/medical bills etc.

Bearcat
04-03-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't understand people that live paycheck to paycheck. It boggles me how much money people don't have sometimes. I live in a house, that I rent out. Rent is $330 which INCLUDES utilities this month. 2 of 3 of my roommates have to pay me $100 today, and $100 next week ect. It took one of my roommates until the 20th last month to pay full rent. How the f*ck do you not have $330 laying around that you can pay for? What if you needed money for an emergency? I have enough money in the bank to pay $330 44 times. I mean you gotta be kidding me. Financial responsibility, not that hard.

The closest I've come from paycheck-paycheck was right out of college, making ~$27,000/yr (about $12-13/hr) while living in Kansas City. My rent was about $100 more than what you mention, and I didn't find it that hard to live within my salary. Now, I have friends who have made mistakes and are working hard to get out of debt, but I'd just shake my head at others who just bitched and bitched about money, who sometimes made twice as much or more than I did. A former coworker lived by herself off ~$10-11/hr, and had a kid. Granted, she had government help with the kid, it's laughable that people who make twice that much and more complain about money while sitting at a Starbucks on the Plaza.

It was surprising back then, and now that I make quite a bit more, I'm astonished. A lot of people don't realize how little it takes to get by. Of course, people make mistakes, shit happens, and so forth... but it's not that hard.

Also, CP is a bad sample to use as a statistic.
Chances are if you have a computer with teh internets you're somewhat educated.

Being somewhat educated means that you're not taking into account the uneducated.
So if approximately half the educated folks (on the internets) live paycheck to paycheck then the "uneducated folks" would probably fair mush worse. In conclusion, Id say 70% is probably a good number.

Just my .02

Yep... not sure how accurate it is, but someone at my college graduation said only 1 in 6 have a college degree (that would be 83% that don't have one, for those who don't have one (j/k)). So, if you say 20% of college grads are paycheck-paycheck, and 20% of those without a college degree don't live paycheck-paycheck, you come up with 70%. :hmmm:

A lot of people decieve themselves. Unless you have 6 mos of salary saved up, unless you have very good health insurance and life insurance plans, unless you have saved a considerable chunk of money for both your retirement and your children's future education.....you are, by definition, living paycheck to paycheck. A family who isn't prepared in the way I've described.....and gets hit with unemployment, a major illness, a sudden death, or a natural disaster....are literally one or two incidents from bankruptcy, and thus are living paycheck to paycheck.

:spock:

There are lots and lots of people somewhere between paycheck-paycheck and what you described. I know what you're saying, but 99% of anyone who's hit with unemployment, a major illness, natural disaster, etc; would be living paycheck-paycheck... that's not really relevant.

unlurking
04-03-2009, 05:28 PM
yep sure do. Im only 20 yrs old w/ 2 kids already, but I have a really great job for the hours I work (about 15 a week), and I do some work online for my dad's business.

But yes, we live by paycheck to paycheck, especially since my baby mama doesnt work, yet, she will soon though as hostess at a diner, thank God.

And were kinda lucky we live in Income based apartments and they have no idea I'm working since I'm an independent contractor, and if they did find out, they wouldnt care lol. So I basically have no rent at the moment.

But its hard to save, it really is, if my van breaks down, which I need to do my job, I would probably have to get help from my dad because I wouldn't have enough. But I think im doing pretty good for being 20 w/ 2 kids and no income from my gf.

Hate to sound like a prick, but I just want to clarify a couple things.

- You only work 15 hours a week.
- Your wife/gf is getting a job to support you and your kids.
- You live off government housing.
- You're happy about this?

Wow, where's the application form to sign up to be a deadbeat?

DaneMcCloud
04-03-2009, 05:33 PM

Why don't you try that in Los Angeles, then get back to us.

LaChapelle
04-03-2009, 05:33 PM
These days, be lucky you're even getting a paycheck.

unlurking
04-03-2009, 05:42 PM

No shit. $330 a month doesn't cover the mailbox out here in DC metro. I'm sure it's less than Cali, but even a 1 bedroom shithole is $1500 a month out here.

EDIT:
But at the same, good for you. I WISH property was that cheap here!

Fat Elvis
04-03-2009, 05:42 PM
i have a fulltime job and an ebay store. im making more money now than i ever have and spending way less. i was planning this to be the year i went solo but all of a sudden my day job is paying me about $1200 extra a month and so i keep my foot in the door for a little longer. to get ahead, you must work harder.
Posted via Mobile Device

How does that ebay store work for you?

El Jefe
04-03-2009, 06:13 PM

Haha, try that in a big city. Just because people live paycheck to paycheck doesn't mean they are not responsible with their money. There are multitudes of things that can put you into years worth of debt, and take years to pay them back.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-03-2009, 06:15 PM

If you lived in Seattle you could only pay my rent 14 times. And I live in a pretty modest place.

Bugeater
04-03-2009, 06:25 PM

So...exactly who IS paying for your rent? It's coming out of somebody's pocket.

Bugeater
04-03-2009, 06:26 PM

No, please continue being a prick. He deserves it.

RippedmyFlesh
04-03-2009, 06:44 PM
:LOL: I have a friend who lives there $330 wouldn't cover your gas getting around let alone living anywhere.

CrazyPhuD
04-03-2009, 07:05 PM
:LOL: I have a friend who lives there $330 wouldn't cover your gas getting around let alone living anywhere.

LMAO true and LA as awesome as it is for some things...depending upon where you're going it can be faster to walk...even if it's 10 miles away!

Speaking of which...how's the traffic in LA. Up here in SF the traffic has been noticeably reduced by the economy. Not a good thing but at least a small silver lining.

Priest31kc
04-03-2009, 07:07 PM

How the fuck am I being a deadbeat?? Ive supported my girlfriend and kid for 2 years now, Im only 20. I had to drop out of HS because my kid was born and I needed to work, so I did that. We signed up for a wait list for these apartments bc i didnt have a job at the time, because you know, we needed a place to live. I had a job, then got laid off in December, so my rent went down to 8 bucks because we had no income. I JUST got this great job in January, and I havent told them Im working yet because Im trying to get ahead while I can in this shithole economy. And why the fuck does it matter how many hours I work??? I make over 600 a week. My girlfriend is getting a job because she blows my money on shit we dont need, so shes getting a job to help out, not to support, I'm the one supporting and have been for 2 years.

And yes I am happy, I dont work long hours so I get to spend alot of time with my 2 kids, we're healthy, I ended up getting my HS diploma and am about to get into some online classes so I can get a better job down the road so my family can have a better life.

How am I being a deadbeat?

unlurking
04-03-2009, 07:26 PM
How the fuck am I being a deadbeat?? Ive supported my girlfriend and kid for 2 years now, Im only 20. I had to drop out of HS because my kid was born and I needed to work, so I did that. We signed up for a wait list for these apartments bc i didnt have a job at the time, because you know, we needed a place to live. I had a job, then got laid off in December, so my rent went down to 8 bucks because we had no income. I JUST got this great job in January, and I havent told them Im working yet because Im trying to get ahead while I can in this shithole economy. And why the fuck does it matter how many hours I work??? I make over 600 a week. My girlfriend is getting a job because she blows my money on shit we dont need, so shes getting a job to help out, not to support, I'm the one supporting and have been for 2 years.

And yes I am happy, I dont work long hours so I get to spend alot of time with my 2 kids, we're healthy, I ended up getting my HS diploma and am about to get into some online classes so I can get a better job down the road so my family can have a better life.

How am I being a deadbeat?
15 hours a week is either a deadbeat or Mr. Mom.

I was married at 19 because my GF got pregnant. I had a job working 55 hours a week, and on my 2 off days was at the daily temp jobs place by 5:45AM to shovel side walks, haul trash, or whatever else paid.

I did NOT ride someone else's tax dollars.

I also dropped out of high school and went to night school to get it. I NEVER took government handouts because I was too SELFISH to work more than 15 hours a week.

Do you SERIOUSLY think every other father on here wouldn't LOVE to work only 15 hours a week and spend more time with their kids?!

No. Of course not. They're busy paying for your lazy, greedy fucking ass.

BTW, a nice thank you card to every other tax payer on this board would not go unappreciated.

EDIT:
Again, I just have to say FUCK YOU. The economy may suck, but even Taco Bell is hiring. You've got a spare 60 hours a week. Go get a second job like so many others in this country do/have done to pay the bills when times get tough. The laze faire attitude in your post about living off my taxes pisses me off. Glad you're enjoying my hard work.

Sure-Oz
04-03-2009, 07:47 PM
I work 15-17 hours a day now for the next month and half, good times, my only day off is a sunday every week but i want the money! :)

82 hours a week=$$$ and paid off bills, only 2 big ones left

BWillie
04-03-2009, 07:58 PM

You are proving my point precisely. I'm indicating that the rent I charge these individuals is SOO cheap, yet they still cannot do it. My roommates are not wealthy by any means. One makes 40K a year tho, so for the life of me, I cannot see how you cannot financially plan well enough to cover your #1 need. A roof to live under. If you can't afford your rent our house payment, you shouldn't be buying shit you don't need like a nice car, nice clothes, going out to eat, going drinking all the time, etc. It's called priorities.

Sure-Oz
04-03-2009, 07:59 PM
You are proving my point precisely. I'm indicating that the rent I charge these individuals is SOO cheap, yet they still cannot do it. My roommates are not wealthy by any means. One makes 40K a year tho, so for the life of me, I cannot see how you cannot financially plan well enough to cover your #1 need. A roof to live under. If you can't afford your rent our house payment, you shouldn't be buying shit you don't need like a nice car, nice clothes, going out to eat, going drinking all the time, etc. It's called priorities.

What a dumbshit if he can't do that making 40k in the midwest

BWillie
04-03-2009, 08:02 PM
Haha, try that in a big city. Just because people live paycheck to paycheck doesn't mean they are not responsible with their money. There are multitudes of things that can put you into years worth of debt, and take years to pay them back.

I disagree. If you have years and years of debt that causes you to live paycheck to paycheck, you probably bought shit you don't need. Like putting a 50 inch TV on credit. Using your credit card and not paying it off every month. Buying a house you cannot afford. Buying a $30,000 vehicle when you only make $30,000 a year. Refusing to live with a roommate just because of pride, and taking on a huge payment for a studio apartment downtown. Knocking up countless women because you are too dumb to use a condom or just blow it on their face instead.

BWillie
04-03-2009, 08:06 PM
If you lived in Seattle you could only pay my rent 14 times. And I live in a pretty modest place.

You might want to consider moving to a place that has a standard living that you can afford then. When I was deciding where to move after graduating college it was between Chicago and Kansas City. I moved to Kansas City because I was a poor college kid at that point and knew I would be screwed if I moved to a downtown area in Chicago where I could not pay the bills while living on my dad's stipend and online poker money while I looked for a job.

Priest31kc
04-03-2009, 08:27 PM

I was married at 19 because my GF got pregnant. I had a job working 55 hours a week, and on my 2 off days was at the daily temp jobs place by 5:45AM to shovel side walks, haul trash, or whatever else paid.

I also dropped out of high school and went to night school to get it. I NEVER took government handouts because I was too SELFISH to work more than 15 hours a week.

Do you SERIOUSLY think every other father on here wouldn't LOVE to work only 15 hours a week and spend more time with their kids?!

No. Of course not. They're busy paying for your lazy, greedy ****ing ass.

BTW, a nice thank you card to every other tax payer on this board would not go unappreciated.

EDIT:
Again, I just have to say **** YOU. The economy may suck, but even Taco Bell is hiring. You've got a spare 60 hours a week. Go get a second job like so many others in this country do/have done to pay the bills when times get tough. The laze faire attitude in your post about living off my taxes pisses me off. Glad you're enjoying my hard work.

wow....okay maybe i didnt explain it good enough, i JUST got this job in January. I previously was paying 450 a month for this place. I lost my job in December, so my rent went down to 8 dollars because I had no income coming in. We just havent told them yet, because I live paycheck to paycheck, that 2 months where I didn't get a paycheck killed us, so we are just trying to catch back up, then we're moving out of here because we want to be in a better neighborhood. And I still dont understand why the fuck it matters how many hours I work???? What does that have to do with anything? I got lucky getting this job after countless hours looking for one, and how are you gunna tell me I'm not looking for another job??? Fuck you man. I worked 8 hour days just like the rest of you before i got laid off, i finally found SOMETHING, and it turns out to be a great job with good pay, why is that my fault? Your telling me you wouldnt take that? And who said I couldn't pay the bills? We're fine with the bills and essentials, were trying to save up and get out of here thats why my gf is getting a job, and shes been looking for a bout a month now too. Theres not a lot of shit out there.

But whatever Im sorry if Im doing something wrong, I didnt know who the hell pays for these apartments, Ive only NOT payed 450 a month for a total of 3 months now.

Bugeater
04-03-2009, 08:29 PM
Ive only NOT payed 450 a month for a total of 3 months now.
Do you know what happens to the majority of us if we do that?

JOhn
04-03-2009, 08:41 PM
How the **** am I being a deadbeat??

And why the **** does it matter how many hours I work??? I make over 600 a week.

No sure if your a deadbeat, but you are a THIEF!!

$2400/month at the least (according to you) and yet you pay only $8 rent? Must be F'ing nice to be able to steal housing.

I work 50+ hours week now and live in a crappy shit hole with my 3 kids, and get no support from thier mother. so were can I sign up to get free housing? Oh yea I make good money now, and don't want to be a thief, never mind. :shake:

BWillie
04-03-2009, 08:55 PM
No sure if your a deadbeat, but you are a THIEF!!

$2400/month at the least (according to you) and yet you pay only $8 rent? Must be F'ing nice to be able to steal housing.

I work 50+ hours week now and live in a crappy shit hole with my 3 kids, and get no support from thier mother. so were can I sign up to get free housing? Oh yea I make good money now, and don't want to be a thief, never mind. :shake:

You guys are blowing this out of proportion. If there is a free service and welfare that gives it to people like this, it's hardly their fault in most cases. So when I take the 8K Barry Obama is giving me when I buy a house am I a thief too? The handouts are only there because you allow your govt to do it

Bugeater
04-03-2009, 09:19 PM
You guys are blowing this out of proportion. If there is a free service and welfare that gives it to people like this, it's hardly their fault in most cases. So when I take the 8K Barry Obama is giving me when I buy a house am I a thief too? The handouts are only there because you allow your govt to do it
Bragging about it probably isn't the best idea. And I don't recall the gov't checking with me to see if the handouts are OK.

Pioli Zombie
04-03-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm not a fan of people sponging off of the gubmit. But its interesting to me the people who are calling Obama all sorts of names for spending had no problem with Bush spending all our money on building schools and crap in Iraq. Neither side is the devil and neither side has all the answers. They both waste our money.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fairplay
04-03-2009, 10:00 PM
I work 15-17 hours a day now for the next month and half, good times, my only day off is a sunday every week but i want the money! :)

Wow, that's a real good work ethic. Focus on paying off those bills man.

Keep pounding away.

Fairplay
04-03-2009, 10:04 PM
Refusing to live with a roommate just because of pride, and taking on a huge payment for a studio apartment downtown.

Yeah, someone let Claythan move into your basement. LMAO

wutamess
04-03-2009, 10:04 PM

No. Of course not. They're busy paying for your lazy, greedy ****ing ass.

EDIT:
Again, I just have to say **** YOU. The economy may suck, but even Taco Bell is hiring. You've got a spare 60 hours a week. Go get a second job like so many others in this country do/have done to pay the bills when times get tough. The laze faire attitude in your post about living off my taxes pisses me off. Glad you're enjoying my hard work.

GTFOH! You don't know his situation with that self righteous shit.
So just because you worked a great amount of hours you're more of a man? BS!

I'm not backing Priest but you're acting like a fuggin pagan (biblical) with this (look at me) noncalled for pile on.

Sorry, been cranky all day but this post just struck another nerve.

Fairplay
04-03-2009, 10:09 PM
GTFOH! You don't know his situation with that self righteous shit.
So just because you worked a great amount of hours you're more of a man? BS!

I'm not backing Priest but you're acting like a fuggin pagan (biblical) with this (look at me) noncalled for pile on.

Sorry, been cranky all day but this post just struck another nerve.

I agree man. I didn't want to dogpile because, as you stated we don't know his enough about his situation. So i left it alone.

You have been going through a lot lately wutamess i hope things get better.

Bearcat
04-04-2009, 10:32 AM

Wow, I did that for a couple of consecutive weeks right after Thanksgiving last year, and had a few 70 hour weeks here and there... couldn't imagine doing it every week, even though having one day to catch up on sleep can do wonders. I like 50-60 hour weeks... I get bored otherwise, because I'm not going to go out every single night.

Skip Towne
04-04-2009, 10:35 AM
Wow, I did that for a couple of consecutive weeks right after Thanksgiving last year, and had a few 70 hour weeks here and there... couldn't imagine doing it every week, even though having one day to catch up on sleep can do wonders. I like 50-60 hour weeks... I get bored otherwise, because I'm not going to go out every single night.

I prefer the 5 hour week. It gives me more time to rest.

SAUTO
04-04-2009, 10:43 AM

ROFL damn skippy

Bearcat
04-04-2009, 10:45 AM

It's the circle of life... newborns and people over 84 sleep 75% of the time.

Sure-Oz
04-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Wow, that's a real good work ethic. Focus on paying off those bills man.

Keep pounding away.

Appreciate it....i'm still young so i may as well do it now. I have half the weekend to rest up and recover as well. It's not too bad once you get used to it! :) Besides i don't need to have a social life during the week anyway hehe. I'll definetly have myself in a real good place financially by june when i expect to pay off the 2 bills and be clean of that and save way more. :D I also find that this will payoff in the longrun for me cause i won't work nearly this hard and as long hours later when i get finished with school here in a year or so. It's a good feeling too, to know i can do it! Almost worth that feeling more than the $$$ im getting, almost ;)

DJ's left nut
04-04-2009, 11:14 AM

Pretty much this.

Married at 23, wife and i got through our respective post-graduate work by having one of us work while the other went to school. So we have about 13 years of post-secondary school between us and only had about 25K in student loans when all was said and done. No kids, 2 labradors that are still reasonably young so the vet bills are low.

Work pays for one car, cash paid for the other. Mortgage is reasonable (though dropping 5K when my basement flooded certainly sucks). I'll head to the bar to catch a big ballgame and that's about it. We're by no means rich, combined we're well under 6 figures, but we're able to save about 40% of our income each month and that's a huge load off.

Life's tough sometimes, but you can make a lot of choices that make it a lot easier.

DaneMcCloud
04-04-2009, 11:20 AM

$40k in Los Angeles? I'm sorry, but you're barely surviving. A "decent" one bedroom apartment in a "decent" part of town is easily $1200 per month. Then they're utilities, gas, and food. After 40% of your weekly check has been taken by the federal, state and local government, you're left with about $2000 a month to live.

So in the end, you have zero each month.

You need to climb down off that self-righteous mountain.

Bearcat
04-04-2009, 11:22 AM
Appreciate it....i'm still young so i may as well do it now. I have half the weekend to rest up and recover as well. It's not too bad once you get used to it! :) Besides i don't need to have a social life during the week anyway hehe. I'll definetly have myself in a real good place financially by june when i expect to pay off the 2 bills and be clean of that and save way more. :D I also find that this will payoff in the longrun for me cause i won't work nearly this hard and as long hours later when i get finished with school here in a year or so. It's a good feeling too, to know i can do it! Almost worth that feeling more than the $$$ im getting, almost ;)

What do you do?

Bearcat
04-04-2009, 11:27 AM
$40k in Los Angeles? I'm sorry, but you're barely surviving. A "decent" one bedroom apartment in a "decent" part of town is easily $1200 per month. Then they're utilities, gas, and food. After 40% of your weekly check has been taken by the federal, state and local government, you're left with about $2000 a month to live.

So in the end, you have zero each month.

You need to climb down off that self-righteous mountain.

Huh? His friend doesn't live in Los Angeles, so what's self-righteous about it? If his friend lived in Los Angeles, he would probably be making $60-70,000, no?

I don't know what the LA equivalent would be, but $40k is more than enough in KC. You're talking about $500-700 rent, low utilities/cable/cell/etc, $2 gas, maybe $400/month for food. Some people make mistakes, and shit happens, but a lot of people are just f***ing stupid when it comes to money. You can live in KC on less than $30,000, especially if you're only paying $330 a month for rent.

ChiefsCountry
04-04-2009, 11:29 AM
No not right now but that could change if a job doesnt come by this summer. I made enough last summer (I had a mgt position) to live on while I went back to school fulltime.

Sure-Oz
04-04-2009, 11:55 AM
What do you do?

Right now i have 2 jobs, 1 as a customer service rep/personal banker at a bank up north and then my night job i work in a warehouse and load boxes, clean up messes, move things etc, whatever they want me to do. basically work from 630am-1pm at my first job then start the 2nd job at 215-1130pm mon-friday. My day starts at 5am basically which im not used to, but am getting there. Then i work every saturday for 4 hours at the bank. I am also going to school for computer information systems, taking 2 classes right now.

I am still applying for computer related work or a higher financial services job at other places while im at it. Just a hard market and im thankful for getting all this work right now :)

Mr. Flopnuts
04-04-2009, 11:57 AM
You might want to consider moving to a place that has a standard living that you can afford then. When I was deciding where to move after graduating college it was between Chicago and Kansas City. I moved to Kansas City because I was a poor college kid at that point and knew I would be screwed if I moved to a downtown area in Chicago where I could not pay the bills while living on my dad's stipend and online poker money while I looked for a job.

I wasn't taking a swipe at you dude. Frankly, I can afford to live here for a couple of reasons. 1. Jobs pay more out here. The minimum wage is almost $9 hr. 2. While I don't have a college degree, I do have a skill set that allows me to make an above average income.

Plus, I'm married and I put the bitch to work. :)

All I was saying was it takes a lot more money to live out here. I just assumed your friends were rooming with you because they were poor. If they're poor, that money could be pretty hard to come up with.

Skyy God
04-04-2009, 12:05 PM
EDIT:

PS, your "I'm superior" diatribe might be a bit more effective if you make the effort to learn how to spell the fancy French words.

Bearcat
04-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Right now i have 2 jobs, 1 as a customer service rep/personal banker at a bank up north and then my night job i work in a warehouse and load boxes, clean up messes, move things etc, whatever they want me to do. basically work from 630am-1pm at my first job then start the 2nd job at 215-1130pm mon-friday. My day starts at 5am basically which im not used to, but am getting there. Then i work every saturday for 4 hours at the bank. I am also going to school for computer information systems, taking 2 classes right now.

I am still applying for computer related work or a higher financial services job at other places while im at it. Just a hard market and im thankful for getting all this work right now :)

Wow, I wish more people had that kind of work ethic. That's a pretty brutal schedule without school. All of my work is done sitting in front of a computer, so I'm not sure I could make it to 11:30pm if I got up at 5am and then had to like exercise and do manual labor and stuff (and actually, I did for a few years in and right after college, and 8 hours a day of that plus college was enough). :p

I thought I remembered you saying something about computer work or school, which is why I asked. Where are you taking classes at?

FWIW, Hallmark is a pretty good entry-level sort of place for IT. I worked at their tech help desk for a couple of years, and while there's a huge waiting list to move upward, it's a good place to start, and it's a good resume builder.... good money, too, especially if you're willing to work for it, which you obviously are...

DaneMcCloud
04-04-2009, 12:53 PM
Huh? His friend doesn't live in Los Angeles, so what's self-righteous about it? If his friend lived in Los Angeles, he would probably be making $60-70,000, no?

What makes you think that?

I don't know what the LA equivalent would be, but $40k is more than enough in KC. You're talking about $500-700 rent, low utilities/cable/cell/etc, $2 gas, maybe $400/month for food. Some people make mistakes, and shit happens, but a lot of people are just f***ing stupid when it comes to money. You can live in KC on less than $30,000, especially if you're only paying $330 a month for rent.

The equivalent to just "get by", no savings, no car payment, no chance of a home, condo or loft?

Probably $45k. That's no eating out, no partying, stay at home every single night, rent movies from Blockbuster, basic cable, minimal grocery shopping ($100 a week? What are you going to eat everyday - Baloney, Bread, cereal and mac & cheese? Keystone Light 12 packs for $4.99 each?).

I'm sorry. I've been there. It sucks. Maybe you're "living" but your life pretty much is shit.

KC Jones
04-04-2009, 01:09 PM
I guess it depends on how you define it but I consider us as being paycheck to paycheck. We've got some emergency funds in a roth that I can get to quickly that would cover about 3-4 months of the absolute expenses. I do have an IRA and 401k but I need to dump a hell of a lot more in if I want to retire in 25-30 years. However at any given time we tend to have a nil balance between credit cards and our bank accounts.

It just seems like every step along the way we have managed to find bigger and bigger expenses. Just as things were getting comfortable in KC for us we moved here to Denver and spent a lot more on housing than I wanted to. I got some big raises and we were almost comfortable with the mortgage when we found out my son had some special ed needs and the public school didn't work out so we went private. Son needed a surgery a year or so back and that was $2500 out of pocket. Cars have broken down, etc. In 10 years we'll start paying for college and we have some set aside for that but not near enough unless I limit them to local community colleges.

Right now it's looking pretty good in terms of current income and expenses like maybe I can set aside money for a car in a few years and build a cushion, but I'm betting some big unforeseen expenses will hit again and we'll just keep plugging away occasionally building up credit card debt and then paying it down again.

Bearcat
04-04-2009, 01:27 PM
What makes you think that?

Doesn't the cost of living require it?

Look at these two jobs...
LA, $25-33/hr (http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=QHKCV&ff=21&APath=2.21.0.0.0&job_did=J3F2M979DYHX1Z9Y3LJ) vs KC, $23-25/hr (http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=ILKGV&ff=21&APath=2.21.21.0.0&job_did=J3G32F6HVN3HXCX75CV)

or even more similar..

LA, $100-130,000 (http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=QHKCV&ff=21&APath=2.21.0.0.0&job_did=J3H2RZ73CKPHBFT0N8M) vs KC, $65-78,000 (http://www.careerbuilder.com/JobSeeker/Jobs/JobDetails.aspx?IPath=ILKGV&ff=21&APath=2.21.21.0.0&job_did=J8B74M5YVS79JGX0HQW)

Obviously, I don't know what that guy is doing for $40k/yr in KC, but...

The equivalent to just "get by", no savings, no car payment, no chance of a home, condo or loft?

Probably $45k. That's no eating out, no partying, stay at home every single night, rent movies from Blockbuster, basic cable, minimal grocery shopping ($100 a week? What are you going to eat everyday - Baloney, Bread, cereal and mac & cheese? Keystone Light 12 packs for $4.99 each?).

I'm sorry. I've been there. It sucks. Maybe you're "living" but your life pretty much is shit.

...that's my point. I was making ~$27-28k out of college (in KC), my rent was higher than that guy's ($450/month), and I wasn't even at the point of barely getting by (meaning I was saving a little each month, went out to eat every once in a while, etc. Nothing extravagant, but it could have been worse). When I moved jobs and started making ~$32k, I moved to a $550/month place, bought a $27,000 car, and still saved money every month. I did the math, knew what I could afford, and had no trouble doing it.

Making $40k in KC has nothing to do with making $40k in LA. From what you're describing as far as $45k being just enough to survive, I'd once again guess someone in KC making $40k and not being able to make rent equates to someone in LA living off $60-70k a year while not having enough money to make rent every month.

2bikemike
04-04-2009, 03:09 PM
I don't live paycheck to paycheck but I have. I am sure just about everybody has. I learned to manage my money over the years. I wonder how many people could stop living paycheck to paycheck by establishing a budget and eliminating things that really aren't that necessary. I could easily trim about $600 a month from my budget by eliminating the superflous stuff that have become the norm like Cell phones and cable. Hell just those two things would save me about $200.

Sure-Oz
04-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Wow, I wish more people had that kind of work ethic. That's a pretty brutal schedule without school. All of my work is done sitting in front of a computer, so I'm not sure I could make it to 11:30pm if I got up at 5am and then had to like exercise and do manual labor and stuff (and actually, I did for a few years in and right after college, and 8 hours a day of that plus college was enough). :p

I thought I remembered you saying something about computer work or school, which is why I asked. Where are you taking classes at?

FWIW, Hallmark is a pretty good entry-level sort of place for IT. I worked at their tech help desk for a couple of years, and while there's a huge waiting list to move upward, it's a good place to start, and it's a good resume builder.... good money, too, especially if you're willing to work for it, which you obviously are...

I go to columbia college online right now...i may take some classes at park soon too. I have worked for the school district for IT stuff years ago, and then got into banking. I am on the top of the list for the blue springs school district to interview when they add another opening for IT. They really liked me but found someone with way more years exp. Also applied at jack henry and associates since ive dealt with their banking systems too, so we'll see. I definetly want an IT type of job but i know its hard right now, so im doing what i can.

Appreciate the comments, im just working really hard for myself and proving i can do it. Times are tough and im just trying to make as much $$$ as possible. Thanks for the heads up at hallmark, i'll have to look into it. Also it is very hard doing the night job and honestly if i take a break i do get sleepy. I've averaged about 4 hours of sleep everyday during the week. It's hard but i have grown up with parents that have worked their tails off coming from another country with no education to give my sister and I an awesome life. I definetly want to make them proud. I use the weekends to rest alot, and finish homework. I do get recharged but by wed. it def. gets hard hehe. Lucky for me the school stuff is due sunday at midnight and i dont have too much hw honestly this semester, so that works for me :). I really feel good about myself doing this workload too, ive never really had to work too hard like i have now. I know it will payoff in the end to test myself like this. :)

Bearcat
04-04-2009, 06:13 PM
I go to columbia college online right now...i may take some classes at park soon too. I have worked for the school district for IT stuff years ago, and then got into banking. I am on the top of the list for the blue springs school district to interview when they add another opening for IT. They really liked me but found someone with way more years exp. Also applied at jack henry and associates since ive dealt with their banking systems too, so we'll see. I definetly want an IT type of job but i know its hard right now, so im doing what i can.

Appreciate the comments, im just working really hard for myself and proving i can do it. Times are tough and im just trying to make as much $$$ as possible. Thanks for the heads up at hallmark, i'll have to look into it. Also it is very hard doing the night job and honestly if i take a break i do get sleepy. I've averaged about 4 hours of sleep everyday during the week. It's hard but i have grown up with parents that have worked their tails off coming from another country with no education to give my sister and I an awesome life. I definetly want to make them proud. I use the weekends to rest alot, and finish homework. I do get recharged but by wed. it def. gets hard hehe. Lucky for me the school stuff is due sunday at midnight and i dont have too much hw honestly this semester, so that works for me :). I really feel good about myself doing this workload too, ive never really had to work too hard like i have now. I know it will payoff in the end to test myself like this. :)

I thought about going to Park for graduate classes... iirc, they've improved their offerings since I first looked, and have some pretty specialized classes in IT security, web development, etc.

I know the feeling... I didn't have a good undergrad GPA, and ever since I've devoted a ton of time proving to myself that I can make it in the IT world, whether it's from school or on the job. Good grades and that sort of work ethic will do wonders for you in the IT world... places like Cerner are willing to teach those who have a passion for their job and are willing to put the hours into it.

If you're interested, I can check with my former managers at Hallmark and see when they're hiring... they usually have 2 or 3 training classes of 3-8 people each per year. When I was there, they had shifts starting at 7-9am and 2 or 3pm. It's tech support for their retail stores, so it's nothing mind blowing, but like I said before, it's a good starting point if you're willing to take the dumb calls in stride and jump at the chance to help out on the challenging ones.

excessive
04-04-2009, 07:18 PM
For the last two years we've been remodeling a foreclosed home we bought and have been spending more than we make, maybe two grand a month more. Spent 5 grand on a well deserved vacation, and after paying this year's taxes we will finally be back to saving money each month.

It sucks watching the savings account dwindle, and now we have 20 grand more in our house than it's worth, and I still have another summer of work to do on it. It's a really nice house, premium upgrades throughout, so hopefully the market will give back what it took.

The problem is that after two years of spending like crazy, it's hard to get back to being frugal. Well, let me rephrase that. It's really hard for the wife to get back to being frugal.

whatsmynameagain
04-04-2009, 07:50 PM
How does that ebay store work for you?

im not sure exactly what you're asking but business has never been better. i really enjoy what im doing and its making money on its own. since its up and running i plan on starting another ebay business. there are so many markets on ebay. you have to find them, and corner it. its extremely easy, effiency is they key.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure-Oz
04-04-2009, 09:35 PM
I thought about going to Park for graduate classes... iirc, they've improved their offerings since I first looked, and have some pretty specialized classes in IT security, web development, etc.

I know the feeling... I didn't have a good undergrad GPA, and ever since I've devoted a ton of time proving to myself that I can make it in the IT world, whether it's from school or on the job. Good grades and that sort of work ethic will do wonders for you in the IT world... places like Cerner are willing to teach those who have a passion for their job and are willing to put the hours into it.

If you're interested, I can check with my former managers at Hallmark and see when they're hiring... they usually have 2 or 3 training classes of 3-8 people each per year. When I was there, they had shifts starting at 7-9am and 2 or 3pm. It's tech support for their retail stores, so it's nothing mind blowing, but like I said before, it's a good starting point if you're willing to take the dumb calls in stride and jump at the chance to help out on the challenging ones.

That would be awesome if you could do that, i pretty much am just hoping to find a full time tech support type job just to get my foot in. Any info would be greatly appreciated :). thanks! I've heard people either love or hate cerner, ive always heard its a solid company though. btw-do you have a good it job i assume?

Bearcat
04-05-2009, 12:33 PM
That would be awesome if you could do that, i pretty much am just hoping to find a full time tech support type job just to get my foot in. Any info would be greatly appreciated :). thanks! I've heard people either love or hate cerner, ive always heard its a solid company though. btw-do you have a good it job i assume?

Done. I'll send you a PM when I hear something back. They tend to hire in Oct/Nov before the holiday rush and again in May/June. Not so sure about this year, with the down economy, obviously. The downside to Hallmark is that when I was there, technology was just another expense, but while there are frustrations that come with that as far as not working with the most up to date software and hardware, they never cut staff while I was there and they said they would never outsource the customer service to their retail stores (the internal IT is outsourced).

As far as IT companies are concerned, Cerner probably has the best culture in Kansas City for someone who isn't afraid of 50-60+ hour work weeks. The worst I've heard about Cerner has always come from software engineers and those in related areas, because they have a history of working people to death. I've heard there are several areas where it's not nearly as bad. I know several people who work there and absolutely love it. Their training program is supposedly the best around, and they are very open to giving people every opportunity to move around within the company and find the right fit. At worst, I've heard it's a great place for people to dive in as an entry-level person wanting to learn as much as possible, before moving on in order to settle into a 40-hour work week elsewhere. I probably know more than I should about that place, since I haven't ever worked there.... I actually have an open invitation from someone who works there now (who worked at Hallmark), so it's probably the first place I'll go the next time I'm seriously looking.

I work for a software company based in Omaha, and actually compare it to Cerner quite a bit as far as company culture, opportunities, etc. (but with better benefits :p ). It's pretty entry-level... up to 100% travel, which I love at this point in my life, and I've learned a ton in just a year and a half. It's perfect for me because I didn't previously have a lot of experience outside of the Windows world (stupid NWMSU), and I have to learn each customer's environment as I go... so at the moment I know enough to be dangerous in several areas.

stevieray
04-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Being self employed, pretty much, though there are decent periods of relief...and there are times when you wonder where the next job is going to come from.

In June, I will have had my own business for 14 years. The fact that I can use my talents to provide for my family and bring joy to people through art is a huge blessing. we haven't wanted for food or shelter or clothing, even when it seemed the career was fading, something has always come through.

I'm happy for and respect those who have worked hard and provided something down the road for themselves. Through bad choices early on, and personal speedbumps..I'm not there...when I look around the world, I'm just glad to have yesterday behind me, today to enjoy, and tommorrow to try again.

Anything above that is a bonus.

Sure-Oz
04-05-2009, 03:20 PM
Done. I'll send you a PM when I hear something back. They tend to hire in Oct/Nov before the holiday rush and again in May/June. Not so sure about this year, with the down economy, obviously. The downside to Hallmark is that when I was there, technology was just another expense, but while there are frustrations that come with that as far as not working with the most up to date software and hardware, they never cut staff while I was there and they said they would never outsource the customer service to their retail stores (the internal IT is outsourced).

As far as IT companies are concerned, Cerner probably has the best culture in Kansas City for someone who isn't afraid of 50-60+ hour work weeks. The worst I've heard about Cerner has always come from software engineers and those in related areas, because they have a history of working people to death. I've heard there are several areas where it's not nearly as bad. I know several people who work there and absolutely love it. Their training program is supposedly the best around, and they are very open to giving people every opportunity to move around within the company and find the right fit. At worst, I've heard it's a great place for people to dive in as an entry-level person wanting to learn as much as possible, before moving on in order to settle into a 40-hour work week elsewhere. I probably know more than I should about that place, since I haven't ever worked there.... I actually have an open invitation from someone who works there now (who worked at Hallmark), so it's probably the first place I'll go the next time I'm seriously looking.

I work for a software company based in Omaha, and actually compare it to Cerner quite a bit as far as company culture, opportunities, etc. (but with better benefits :p ). It's pretty entry-level... up to 100% travel, which I love at this point in my life, and I've learned a ton in just a year and a half. It's perfect for me because I didn't previously have a lot of experience outside of the Windows world (stupid NWMSU), and I have to learn each customer's environment as I go... so at the moment I know enough to be dangerous in several areas.

Thanks, I appreciate it...and i def. understand with the economy. I love what im doing now and making good money but i know that if there is an opportunity in the fall or whenever that would be good to have a heads up. Do they post these openings at all or is it something inside that you would know? Great info about cerner, and it sounds like you are doing well and glad you like the travel and getting alot of experience. This IT stuff is still hard to me but if i actually get some hands on experience i think i'll be just fine. Some things are still over my head but i definetly try my best to learn. It's always nice to hear of different experiences, keep up the good work.

kysirsoze
04-05-2009, 04:03 PM
I disagree. If you have years and years of debt that causes you to live paycheck to paycheck, you probably bought shit you don't need. Like putting a 50 inch TV on credit. Using your credit card and not paying it off every month. Buying a house you cannot afford. Buying a $30,000 vehicle when you only make $30,000 a year. Refusing to live with a roommate just because of pride, and taking on a huge payment for a studio apartment downtown. Knocking up countless women because you are too dumb to use a condom or just blow it on their face instead.

I have two roomates to make ends meet in LA. I make <30,000 and pretty much break even (assuming nothing unexpected pops up). I live in LA because that's where the entertainment industry is. It was my choice, so I'm not bitching, but it doesn't mean I'm fiscally irresponsible.

El Jefe
04-05-2009, 05:20 PM

Nothing to disagree with me on, from my point of view. My debt is health caused. Majory surgery on my ankle, surgery on my knee, two sets of epiderals (sp) for my back, the list goes on. When you don't have major healthcare, you are going to be paying medical bills for a long time, so that is my point. Just because you live paycheck to paycheck doesn't mean you have spent your money unwisely. I will agree with you that many people do cause their debt with their unwise spending, but not everybody.

KC Dan
04-05-2009, 06:22 PM
Nothing to disagree with me on, from my point of view. My debt is health caused. Majory surgery on my ankle, surgery on my knee, two sets of epiderals (sp) for my back, the list goes on. When you don't have major healthcare, you are going to be paying medical bills for a long time, so that is my point. Just because you live paycheck to paycheck doesn't mean you have spent your money unwisely. I will agree with you that many people do cause their debt with their unwise spending, but not everybody.
Yes, the number one cause for bankruptcy in the US are unpaid medical bills. However, if people budget their money well and prepare a good 3-6 months savings for emergencies, unforseen medical problems can be mitigated. Of course, major medical problems will do almost anyone in...

Saul Good
04-05-2009, 06:53 PM
I have two roomates to make ends meet in LA. I make <30,000 and pretty much break even (assuming nothing unexpected pops up). I live in LA because that's where the entertainment industry is. It was my choice, so I'm not bitching, but it doesn't mean I'm fiscally irresponsible.

I would say that living in a city that has a cost of living that is above what you can comfortably afford is fiscally irresponsible. You choose to live there. You aren't forced to.

If I buy a Ferrari because high-end cars excite me, that makes me fiscally irresponsible.

If you move to a city that you can't comfortably afford because the entertainment industry excites, you , that makes you fiscally irresponsible.

DaneMcCloud
04-05-2009, 09:43 PM
If you move to a city that you can't comfortably afford because the entertainment industry excites, you , that makes you fiscally irresponsible.

This is complete and fucking utter bullshit.

So, people should just avoid chasing their dreams and go to college, get married, have some kids and live in the suburbs somewhere?

That might work for some people but certainly not ALL people.

You're not just GIVEN opportunities to "make it' in the entertainment industry. Whether you're an actor or actress, composer or musician, screenwriter, director or producer, you HAVE to pay your dues. And paying your dues doesn't mean living in some cushy condo by the beach somewhere in Orange County. It means doing whatever you have to do to get by.

It's survival of the fittest.

Fiscally irresponsible. LMAO

macdawg
04-05-2009, 11:26 PM
I wouldn't call it fiscally irresponsible. It definitely is taking a risk though. Much lower stress to have no debt and a few grand in the bank.

El Jefe
04-06-2009, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't call it fiscally irresponsible. It definitely is taking a risk though. Much lower stress to have no debt and a few grand in the bank.

True. Sometimes you have to be willing to risk it all, big pay off if you can achieve it.

vailpass
04-06-2009, 11:10 AM
PS, your "I'm superior" diatribe might be a bit more effective if you make the effort to learn how to spell the fancy French words.

ROFL Oh my.

vailpass
04-06-2009, 11:41 AM
This is complete and fucking utter bullshit.

So, people should just avoid chasing their dreams and go to college, get married, have some kids and live in the suburbs somewhere?

That might work for some people but certainly not ALL people.

You're not just GIVEN opportunities to "make it' in the entertainment industry. Whether you're an actor or actress, composer or musician, screenwriter, director or producer, you HAVE to pay your dues. And paying your dues doesn't mean living in some cushy condo by the beach somewhere in Orange County. It means doing whatever you have to do to get by.

It's survival of the fittest.

Fiscally irresponsible. LMAO

These fucking plebes just don't get it. They have no ability to plan or think for themselves. Let's get together and chop up some lines with our SAG cards while we study our sides. Do you still have Lindsay Lohan's number? Let's get her to come over and bleach our assholes.

Fat Elvis
04-06-2009, 12:53 PM
True. Sometimes you have to be willing to risk it all, big pay off if you can achieve it.

You are 21, what do you know about risk?

El Jefe
04-06-2009, 01:27 PM
You are 21, what do you know about risk?

Eh, I was speaking in general about people who move to the city to obtain their dreams. I have never pretended to know it all, or have been there and done that, so I don't understand your tirade.

ChiTown
04-06-2009, 01:33 PM
No.

I haven't lived pc-to-pc since I was in college.

vailpass
04-06-2009, 02:43 PM
No.

I haven't lived pc-to-pc since I was in college.

In this economy I just hope everyone has a pc to live on.

El Jefe
04-06-2009, 03:45 PM
In this economy I just hope everyone has a pc to live on.

Don't worry, our old pal Barry will make sure that everyone does!!