PDA

View Full Version : Computers After a lengthy battle with HP, they're doing the right thing. Now I need your help.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-27-2009, 06:11 PM
I'm going to make an 8 month battle condensed down into a paragraph. I bought a fucked up laptop from HP almost 2 years ago. It's been in for repairs multiple times, and again over the last week I'm having more problems with the motherboard. I told the case manager today that I didn't care what he did, at this point HP will never see another dime from me.

He took it as a personal project to turn me around, and he's succeeded. HP is going to overnight me a check when I fax them a receipt for any HP laptop of my choice up to $1200. That is more than I paid for the first laptop by about $400, and 2 years later I can get something pretty badass I think. Here's where you come in faithful Planeteers. What should I get? I am not a computer pro, I do use my computer for business. However, I want something that will stream HD, and something I can use an HDMI cord to plug into my plasma television. Other than that, I'm open to suggestions and ideas. What can I not live without that I don't even know about? Thanks for your suggestions in advance.

Hootie
04-27-2009, 06:17 PM
I have an HP that I bought for about $650 6 months ago...the first one crapped out on me because of the hard drive failing (go figure), but customer service hooked me up with a better unit when I sent it in...

Thought I'd add that to this thread.

Hootie
04-27-2009, 06:17 PM
I have an HP that I bought for about $650 6 months ago...the first one crapped out on me because of the hard drive failing (go figure), but customer service hooked me up with a better unit when I sent it in...

stlchiefs
04-27-2009, 06:27 PM

Repost! :p

Skip Towne
04-27-2009, 06:28 PM
OK, thanks

Skip Towne
04-27-2009, 06:31 PM

OK, thanks

mikeyis4dcats.
04-27-2009, 06:40 PM
buy a $1200 HP laptop. Fax receipt, get check. Return laptop and buy a Toshiba or Dell.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-27-2009, 06:47 PM
buy a $1200 HP laptop. Fax receipt, get check. Return laptop and buy a Toshiba or Dell.

LMAO For like $400 right? Then, I get my original 8 bills back and use the profit on a similar laptop to what I have right now. I couldn't do it. I'm not dishonest enough. I'm goin HP.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-27-2009, 07:00 PM
LMAO For like $400 right? Then, I get my original 8 bills back and use the profit on a similar laptop to what I have right now. I couldn't do it. I'm not dishonest enough. I'm goin HP.

Myself I would have zero problem doing so. If your original laptop is worthless and you account for your hours of dealing with it, to me you deserve it.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-27-2009, 07:05 PM
Myself I would have zero problem doing so. If your original laptop is worthless and you account for your hours of dealing with it, to me you deserve it.

You certainly have a point there. Not only hours upon hours upon hours of dealing with HP online, and on the phone, but weeks at a time without my computer. It's been entirely ridiculous. Just to drive that point home, when you're in online chat with HP it takes the rep 5 minutes between responses? Why? Hey, I'm glad you asked! Because they're dealing with a half a dozen other customers at the same fucking time. So not only is the job outsourced to someone with language barriers, but they also handle multiple customers at once making the process take that much longer. It's really been a disgusting experience from top to bottom for me.

mikeyis4dcats.
04-27-2009, 07:11 PM
You certainly have a point there. Not only hours upon hours upon hours of dealing with HP online, and on the phone, but weeks at a time without my computer. It's been entirely ridiculous. Just to drive that point home, when you're in online chat with HP it takes the rep 5 minutes between responses? Why? Hey, I'm glad you asked! Because they're dealing with a half a dozen other customers at the same ****ing time. So not only is the job outsourced to someone with language barriers, but they also handle multiple customers at once making the process take that much longer. It's really been a disgusting experience from top to bottom for me.

all the more reason to be reimbursed for your expenses and time, and then support a better product and company.

Valiant
04-27-2009, 07:22 PM

You could do that.. But after the guy went to all the work to accomidate you he might check back in a few months on the ticket... If he sees that you got something else he might charge you the amount they paid you.. I am sure somewhere in the fine print they can do that..

I would go with their HDX laptops if you want as close as you can get to HD.. No laptop will still be like watching your plasma though.. And to get one with bluray might cost more then 1200.00..

I have a touchscreen tablet from them, sad thing is I don't use it enough.. Parents got it as a graduation gift.. Uhh?? Should have gotten it for me when I needed a laptop..

mikeyis4dcats.
04-27-2009, 07:34 PM
may or may not be available

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/917683?highlight_key=y&keyword1=hp

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/917720?highlight_key=y&keyword1=hp

Buck
04-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Make sure you get the deal in writing first, and also you ask him if there are any stipulations of the deal and you want them in writing first too.

BryanBusby
04-27-2009, 08:34 PM
Scamming companies is cool. Good post brah

Mr. Flopnuts
04-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Make sure you get the deal in writing first, and also you ask him if there are any stipulations of the deal and you want them in writing first too.

I got it in writing. He sent me an email confirming it.

K thanks tard.

Buck
04-27-2009, 09:12 PM
You can get a really nice laptop for $1200, HP or not.

Find one w/ a nice graphics card so you can hook it up to your TV and watch HD Pron straight from your computer to your TV

Mr. Flopnuts
04-27-2009, 09:19 PM

Find one w/ a nice graphics card so you can hook it up to your TV and watch HD Pron straight from your computer to your TV

See? Now we're talking. That's EXACTLY what I want my new computer to do. What else? :drool:

Buck
04-27-2009, 09:24 PM
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Performance%20and%20entertainment

You want one of the two on the right. You can play around with customization, so you may pay more or less, but If you spend a couple hundred over $1200, you can get a pretty bitchin laptop.

Mr. Flopnuts
04-27-2009, 09:28 PM
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/series_can.do?storeName=computer_store&landing=notebooks&a1=Category&v1=Performance%20and%20entertainment

You want one of the two on the right. You can play around with customization, so you may pay more or less, but If you spend a couple hundred over $1200, you can get a pretty bitchin laptop.

The one on the far right looks pretty fuckin badass.

Buck
04-27-2009, 09:30 PM
The one on the far right looks pretty ****in badass.

Its whispering your name bro..

Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiike

Choooooooooooooooooooooose Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Portlantis
04-28-2009, 12:00 AM

Wow. Are you Midnight Vulture?

Miles
04-28-2009, 12:06 AM
The one on the far right looks pretty ****in badass.

That is a bigass laptop. Do you need something that will leave your house/desk on more than a rare occasion?

BryanBusby
04-28-2009, 12:06 AM
Wow. Are you Midnight Vulture?

Eh no, I just seem to fail hard at reading comprehension. Cool thing on HPs part.

04-28-2009, 12:16 AM
buy a $1200 HP laptop. Fax receipt, get check. Return laptop and buy a Toshiba or Dell.THIS 10 fold.

Miles
04-28-2009, 12:41 AM
THIS 10 fold.

My take is the same as Flopnuts. I would have a hard time doing that but then then I would start thinking about a Thinkpad or one of the new Dell XPS 13" models.

Jenson71
04-28-2009, 01:19 AM
Whatever you choose, get it quick. If one of their desk guys comes around here and finds out you're a smoker, you know the deal is off faster than the lights go dark.

kepp
04-28-2009, 07:03 AM

ding, ding, ding

Mr. Flopnuts
04-28-2009, 08:05 AM
That is a bigass laptop. Do you need something that will leave your house/desk on more than a rare occasion?

Well, that one is considerably more than $1200 when you add all the bells and whistles. While I don't need my laptop to leave on a daily basis, I do need it to be portable.

I've fully considered the idea of buying then returning and going another route and I've decided I'm not going to do it. Regardless of what I think my time is worth, HP is not obligated to do this, they are doing it in the name of customer retention. My complaint for a long time has been that companies have shifted from a "Customer is always right" attitude to a "Customer is always there" attitude. For once someone is doing the right thing, and I'm going to get their product. I mean, they're paying for it and it's going to be 3-4 times what my current laptop is. I'm pretty good with that.

Fish
04-28-2009, 08:12 AM
I'd go with the Macbook Pro....

Buehler445
04-28-2009, 12:18 PM
Nice work on HPs part. It's actually pretty surprising.

As far as the computer, I'd call into them and ask them. That's their job.

And get RAM. Lots and lots of RAM.

Miles
04-28-2009, 03:32 PM
I'd go with the Macbook Pro....

Great value at $2500.

Miles
04-28-2009, 03:40 PM
Well, that one is considerably more than $1200 when you add all the bells and whistles. While I don't need my laptop to leave on a daily basis, I do need it to be portable.

I've fully considered the idea of buying then returning and going another route and I've decided I'm not going to do it. Regardless of what I think my time is worth, HP is not obligated to do this, they are doing it in the name of customer retention. My complaint for a long time has been that companies have shifted from a "Customer is always right" attitude to a "Customer is always there" attitude. For once someone is doing the right thing, and I'm going to get their product. I mean, they're paying for it and it's going to be 3-4 times what my current laptop is. I'm pretty good with that.

Yeah I probably wouldn't be able to talk myself into returning it either.

Maybe something like this?

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/computer_can_series.do?storeName=computer_store&category=notebooks&a1=Display+(diagonal)&v1=11.0%26quot%3B+-+14.9%26quot%3B&series_name=dv3t_series

Looks like it's a new model that was just released last week.

Bump the memory up to 4GB, add the better graphics card, upgrade the processor to a P8600, and there is an option for blu-ray if you want it. It's pretty portable with a 13.3" screen but has an HDMI out for an external monitor / hooking up to your TV.

http://www.notebookreview.com/ and it's forums is a pretty good resource for checking out specific models and finding deals.

Mr. Flopnuts
05-01-2009, 03:29 PM
I bought one today. It's a helluva lot better than the one I had.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=9166323&type=product&id=1218041149114

Mr. Flopnuts
05-01-2009, 06:09 PM

Surprising how high the quality was even in non HD. It's already worth it's weight in gold. :D

Mr. Flopnuts
05-22-2009, 07:20 PM
I got my check yesterday. Done deal. HP really went above and beyond my expectations and will definitely earn my future business with this. They've earned my endorsement because I would've NEVER asked for this. I just wanted a new laptop that was the same specs. The one I have is unbelievably better and cost me nothing but the sales tax.

Kudos to HP.

Lzen
05-23-2009, 07:39 AM
I got my check yesterday. Done deal. HP really went above and beyond my expectations and will definitely earn my future business with this. They've earned my endorsement because I would've NEVER asked for this. I just wanted a new laptop that was the same specs. The one I have is unbelievably better and cost me nothing but the sales tax.

Kudos to HP.

Hopefully, this one doesn't break down. :D

Mr. Flopnuts
05-24-2009, 09:50 PM
Hopefully, this one doesn't break down. :D

LMAO No shit. So far I'm 1 for 2 with their laptops. Hopefully we can make it 2 for 3.

UteChief
05-24-2009, 10:20 PM
I've had two HP laptops go to shit on me and one printer. My Apple may have been more expensive but it has been flawless. It works great for me. I will never buy an HP product again.