PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Larry Bird vs. LeBron James

Direckshun
05-02-2009, 12:08 AM
Conversation I found myself in tonight. Who's the best small forward in NBA history, between these two?

LeBron is simply a phenomenon I haven't seen since Jordan. Bird was a once-in-a-lifetime intangibles guy.

LeBron's strength & athleticism is unmatched at his size. Bird's range, clutch, and all around excellence is unsurpassable.

Your building an All-Time team, and you've got to have both of these players on this team.

The question is, who starts at the 3?

jidar
05-02-2009, 12:09 AM
I think you take Lebron because he has a more complete game, but there has never been and probably never will be another pure shooter as good as Bird.

kcxiv
05-02-2009, 12:26 AM
Lebron will be eventually, but Bird is a little more accomplished up to this point. He has some rings and the dude was a killer shooter. He was a scrappy 100 percent player all the time, thats why his career got cut short.

Lebron is only 25 in a few years i will say Lebron. Right now, no.

Tribal Warfare
05-02-2009, 01:36 AM
Larry Bird ,the greatest shooter of all-time, greatest passer of all-time which is a tie with Magic, and arguably the greatest clutch player of all-time.

SBK
05-02-2009, 01:45 AM
Are we talking about basketball or the NBA? I'd take Bird on a basketball team, but on an NBA team I'd take LeBron.
Posted via Mobile Device

KCChiefsMan
05-02-2009, 01:48 AM
I dont think you can compare the 2. They are both legends in their own way

Mr. Flopnuts
05-02-2009, 02:19 AM
LeBron is something without a doubt. I'll still take Larry Legend.

KCChiefsMan
05-02-2009, 02:49 AM
I will say, I think Lebron is the best since Jordan. BUT HE AINT JORDAN

Reerun_KC
05-02-2009, 05:16 AM
Are we talking about basketball or the NBA? I'd take Bird on a basketball team, but on an NBA team I'd take LeBron.
Posted via Mobile Device
This....

NBA is all about standing around, one on one, me me me type of basketball..

Then pout when something doesnt go your way after you danced around like retard in heat because you made a basket...

NBA is pretty much impossible to watch...

kcxiv
05-02-2009, 05:42 AM
This....

Then pout when something doesnt go your way after you danced around like retard in heat because you made a basket...

When was the last time you watched NBA basketball? Its definately not a me me me type thing. Look at Lebrons stats 28, 8 and 8. I dont give a fuck what way you look at it, thats not me me me me. Thats called all around game.

Chris Paul who will end up imo as the greatest point guard to ever play the game is not a me me me me me me player, same goes for a guy like Darren Williams. These 2 cats are all about the team. They are great point guards and like i said, when they get done playing, they will be up there with the Magic's and Stocktons of the world.

NBA basketball is not like it was in the late 90's. It started going me me me when Michael Jordan was going off and becoming the greatest player that ever lived. Every one wanted to be him. When he retired, it slowly went back to team basketball. There has been a few players here and there that had to carry their team and score more then they should have, but hell, guys like Bernard King used to do that back in the 80's.

Reerun_KC
05-02-2009, 05:48 AM
When was the last time you watched NBA basketball? Its definately not a me me me type thing. Look at Lebrons stats 28, 8 and 8. I dont give a **** what way you look at it, thats not me me me me. Thats called all around game.

Chris Paul who will end up imo as the greatest point guard to ever play the game is not a me me me me me me player, same goes for a guy like Darren Williams. These 2 cats are all about the team. They are great point guards and like i said, when they get done playing, they will be up there with the Magic's and Stocktons of the world.

NBA basketball is not like it was in the late 90's. It started going me me me when Michael Jordan was going off and becoming the greatest player that ever lived. Every one wanted to be him. When he retired, it slowly went back to team basketball. There has been a few players here and there that had to carry their team and score more then they should have, but hell, guys like Bernard King used to do that back in the 80's.

I actually tried to watch it the other night... Cavs vs someone... I really tried and after about 10 minutes I found myself watching the History Channel.

Sorry... Yes I know about Chris Paul, He was my neighbor for 2 years here in OKC.. Met him, his brother and his parents. They were good folks.

Its still me me me... Just ask Kobe...

StcChief
05-02-2009, 08:06 AM
Posted via Mobile Devicethis.

Too bad the NBA stopped playing real basketball.

CoMoChief
05-02-2009, 08:10 AM
Better shooter - Larry (not even close)
Better passer - Larry (really this could go either way)
Better ball handler/penetrator - Lebron (not even close)
Better defender - Lebron

Plus Lebron is WAAAY more athletic, has the size and he's just a phenom really. He's freakin built like a DE in football and can jump out of the gym. I'd take Lebron.

CoMoChief
05-02-2009, 08:11 AM
I actually tried to watch it the other night... Cavs vs someone... I really tried and after about 10 minutes I found myself watching the History Channel.

Sorry... Yes I know about Chris Paul, He was my neighbor for 2 years here in OKC.. Met him, his brother and his parents. They were good folks.

Did you meet his cousin Miguel Paul, he plays for Mizzou, so he claims. LMAO

RNR
05-02-2009, 08:11 AM
I would put Bird at the 3 and slide James to another position. Of the two I think James would be more effective at another position

CoMoChief
05-02-2009, 08:18 AM
I would put Bird at the 3 and slide James to another position. Of the two I think James would be more effective at another position

Magic - Point
Lebron - SG
Bird - SF
PF - Dirk
C - Shaq

Biggest lineup ever

Skip Towne
05-02-2009, 08:26 AM
Who cares?

SBK
05-02-2009, 08:34 AM
I watched the Olympic basketball team last summer--if the NBA played that style I'd watch all the time. It was fantastic, a true team game.

The NBA went to hell when the Dream Team guys all retired.
Posted via Mobile Device

RippedmyFlesh
05-02-2009, 08:50 AM
Magic - Point
Lebron - SG
Bird - SF
PF - Dirk
C - Shaq

Biggest lineup ever

stockton-Point
JORDAN-SG
kobe-SF
karl malone-PF
Kareem AJ-C

Best of 7?

Wyndex
05-02-2009, 08:53 AM
you take Bird at SF because Lebron plays SG, he can't handle SF

milkman
05-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Magic - Point
Lebron - SG
Bird - SF
PF - Dirk
C - Shaq

Biggest lineup ever

stockton-Point
JORDAN-SG
kobe-SF
karl malone-PF
Kareem AJ-C

Best of 7?

Are you guys fucking high?

Any all time great team that doesn't include Wilt Chamberlain, the greatest player ever, is just fucking stupid.

RippedmyFlesh
05-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Are you guys fucking high?

Any all time great team that doesn't include Wilt Chamberlain, the greatest player ever, is just fucking stupid.
I agree and the big O too I was just trying to stay within the era of his players.

Quesadilla Joe
05-02-2009, 09:16 AM
I would put LeBron at point and let him drive and kick to Bird.

Mr. Arrowhead
05-02-2009, 09:18 AM
When was the last time you watched NBA basketball? Its definately not a me me me type thing. Look at Lebrons stats 28, 8 and 8. I dont give a **** what way you look at it, thats not me me me me. Thats called all around game.

Great take, i agree, I am a huge NBA fan and it pisses me off to no end when people say they hate the NBA because the player in the league are selfish

CoMoChief
05-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Are you guys ****ing high?

Any all time great team that doesn't include Wilt Chamberlain, the greatest player ever, is just ****ing stupid.

I never said it was the best.......I said biggest.

PG - Paul (sorry he would own Stockton)
SG - Jordan
SF - James
PF - Malone
C - Russell

I'd take this starting 5 over anyone elses

RippedmyFlesh
05-02-2009, 11:45 AM

SG - Jordan
SF - James
PF - Malone
C - Russell

I couldn't argue with any of your picks but liked the challenge of going through the scrap heap to dig something up.

And you let magic slip through the waiver wire PBJ

pg magic
sg kobe
SF Dr J
PF McHale
C Chamberlin

Russel chamberlin of course would be epic.
I would think Mchale Malone would be a wash maybe.
James may be too big for Dr J to handle but I would be hoping to make up for it in speed at the other end.
That leaves the back court.
Of what was left over kobe matched up best with jordan.
Magic vs Paul I would have a chance there.

Saul Good
05-02-2009, 11:51 AM

SG - Jordan
SF - James
PF - Malone
C - Russell

3 of your 5 have never won a title.

CoMoChief
05-02-2009, 11:55 AM
3 of your 5 have never won a title.

Uhhhhh so? You dont have to win a title to be considered one of the best at your position. There are HOF's that havent won shit. Most noticeably Barkley, Stockton, and Malone......all because they had to face one person that stood in the way.....Jordan.

Saul Good
05-02-2009, 11:58 AM
Uhhhhh so? You dont have to win a title to be considered one of the best at your position. There are HOF's that havent won shit. Most noticeably Barkley, Stockton, and Malone......all because they had to face one person that stood in the way.....Jordan.

It seems odd to put 3 players who never won a title on your all-time team. 2 have never won MVP.

milkman
05-02-2009, 12:00 PM

Stockton and Malone are overrated.

They played in an era when ther were no great teams, and no, Jordan's Bulls were not a great team.

They just dominated an era when there were no great teams.

CoMoChief
05-02-2009, 12:01 PM
It seems odd to put 3 players who never won a title on your all-time team. 2 have never won MVP.

All of these players (when its all said n done, speaking of James and Paul) are going to be considered as top 50 all time NBA players. Maybe top 25. Depends on how long Paul plays I guess.

Paul has a chance to be the greatest PG ever to play in the NBA. James I think in SI.com is already considered a top 50 all time NBA player.

CoMoChief
05-02-2009, 12:03 PM

They played in an era when ther were no great teams, and no, Jordan's Bulls were not a great team.

72-10 isnt a great team?

By your definition, who was the last "great" team?

milkman
05-02-2009, 12:11 PM
72-10 isnt a great team?

By your definition, who was the last "great" team?

I'd take Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celtics, Dr. J's 6ers, and take my chances against Jordan's Bulls.

72-10 record isn't necessarily a measure of greatness.
In this case, it reflects what I've said.

They dominated a weak league.

The 70s Steelers, 80s 9ers and the 90s Cowboys would all win against the undefeated Dolphin SB Champions.

tk13
05-02-2009, 12:18 PM
I think it would've been interesting to see one of the great Bulls teams against one of Olajuwon's best Rockets teams, but it never worked out that way. They never really faced a finals opponent with a great center. But still, 6 titles, hard to argue with. I think it's kinda like the Patriots this decade, not sure the league was quite as good, but they're still a great team.

vailpass
05-02-2009, 12:21 PM
I'd take Magic's Lakers, Bird's Celtics, Dr. J's 6ers, and take my chances against Jordan's Bulls.

72-10 record isn't necessarily a measure of greatness.
In this case, it reflects what I've said.

They dominated a weak league.

The 70s Steelers, 80s 9ers and the 90s Cowboys would all win against the undefeated Dolphin SB Champions.

Yes to Magic's Lakers and Birdman's Celts also throw in Zeke's Pistons however I still would NEVER bet against MJ and his Bulls simply because betting against MJ has proven to be a losing bet.

No doubt thought that the NBA golden age was the Magic-Bird era, peaked with MJ and has gone downhill ever since.

RJ
05-02-2009, 12:28 PM
I wish I still liked the NBA. I was a fan from the days of Earl The Pearl, Wilt The Stilt, Clyde, Hondo and Pistol Pete all the way up to the mid-90's. But I lost interest when so many new players entering the league were high school kids and Euros. Now, I can't watch 5 minutes of a game before I'm bored. It's a bunch of players I've never heard of and most of them can't shoot worth a damn.

As to the poll question, I agree with RNR. Lebron is much more capable of playing another position than Bird would have been.

RippedmyFlesh
05-02-2009, 12:29 PM
Yes to Magic's Lakers and Birdman's Celts also throw in Zeke's Pistons however I still would NEVER bet against MJ and his Bulls simply because betting against MJ has proven to be a losing bet.

No doubt thought that the NBA golden age was the Magic-Bird era, peaked with MJ and has gone downhill ever since.
Like betting against Tiger.

Saul Good
05-02-2009, 12:32 PM
All of these players (when its all said n done, speaking of James and Paul) are going to be considered as top 50 all time NBA players. Maybe top 25. Depends on how long Paul plays I guess.

Paul has a chance to be the greatest PG ever to play in the NBA. James I think in SI.com is already considered a top 50 all time NBA player.

I can't disagree, but there is a big difference between being top 50 and on the all-time starting 5.

Paul may have a chance to be the best ever, but he's got a long way to go before he's above Magic.

RJ
05-02-2009, 12:37 PM

I agree completely about Stockton and Malone.

Disagree about those Bulls teams. I think they would be competitive with any great team of any era. Jordan would make it so, despite their lack of a great PG or center.

milkman
05-02-2009, 12:44 PM
I agree completely about Stockton and Malone.

Disagree about those Bulls teams. I think they would be competitive with any great team of any era. Jordan would make it so, despite their lack of a great PG or center.

Basketball is still a team sport, and while Jordan is a great player, the team around him wasn't as good as the teams around Magic and Bird.

I've also always said this, and I'm not sure how to make this really clear, but I'll give it a shot.

Jordan was a player that required so much attention from the defense that it created opportunities for players around him to excel at what they were capable of doing well.

Bird and Magic, however, made the players around them better players.

KevB
05-02-2009, 01:04 PM
This....

This just isn't true, you aren't watching if you think this. It's a different game than college, no doubt. But that doesn't make it any less compelling to watch, especially in the playoffs.

ARROW2
05-02-2009, 01:23 PM
I will say, I think Lebron is the best since Jordan. BUT HE AINT JORDAN

Ummmm...no....that has been and still is KOBE!!!! Bron will have that tag soon, just not yet....

ARROW2
05-02-2009, 01:25 PM

Yeah, that's why he once again, LEADS THE TEAM IN ASSISTS....just like he did during the threepeat....

milkman
05-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Ummmm...no....that has been and still is KOBE!!!! Bron will have that tag soon, just not yet....

Oh....Jesus......

LMAO

ARROW2
05-02-2009, 01:27 PM

It's funny that for Kobe to fully be given his props, he has to win a FOURTH, just because Snaq is not on the team......Total BS!!!

ARROW2
05-02-2009, 01:29 PM
I can't disagree, but there is a big difference between being top 50 and on the all-time starting 5.

Paul may have a chance to be the best ever, but he's got a long way to go before he's above Magic.

VERY LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

milkman
05-02-2009, 01:30 PM
It's funny that for Kobe to fully be given his props, he has to win a FOURTH, just because Snaq is not on the team......Total BS!!!

I'm going to take a guess here.

You're probably 22 years old or younger, right?

ARROW2
05-02-2009, 01:31 PM
Oh....Jesus......

LMAO

That's funny? You telling me he hasn't been for the last sevaral years? What happened head to head against the "King" this year? Double digit blowouts......So shove that LMAO up _______

ARROW2
05-02-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm going to take a guess here.

You're probably 22 years old or younger, right?

No asswipe....been a Laker fan since 72.......that statement would be more itrue for the Bron crowd, since he is even younger than Kobe. Who, in your opinion has been the best player since Mike?

ARROW2
05-02-2009, 01:35 PM
Bring it Laker/Kobe haters!! I love it....makes victory that much sweeter....I know you gen Y mofos have been brainwashed by the Bron hype but I prefer real legends over time, not BSPN created legends.....Kobe is still more skilled that Bron while Bron still depends on his HGH body....

milkman
05-02-2009, 01:36 PM
That's funny? You telling me he hasn't been for the last sevaral years? What happened head to head against the "King" this year? Double digit blowouts......So shove that LMAO up _______

I have never been a fan of Michael Jordan, but the fact is, he was great player on a level that Kobe isn't quite up to.

And I'm not drawing a comparison between James and Jordan either.

ARROW2
05-02-2009, 01:37 PM
I'm in playoff mode.....don't F with me! Not a good time......I will be glad when the haters have a big ole helping of STFU!! I hope we do it at the expense of the green bastards from Boston or the anointed one....either way, makes no difference to me....

ARROW2
05-02-2009, 01:38 PM
I have never been a fan of Michael Jordan, but the fact is, he was great player on a level that Kobe isn't quite up to.

And I'm not drawing a comparison between James and Jordan either.

You have a right to that opinion. Tell me this, other than Jordan, what Shooting guard would you put over Kobe? Don't say Bron, he is a forward...

milkman
05-02-2009, 01:39 PM
No asswipe....been a Laker fan since 72.......that statement would be more itrue for the Bron crowd, since he is even younger than Kobe. Who, in your opinion has been the best player since Mike?

Bring it Laker/Kobe haters!! I love it....makes victory that much sweeter....I know you gen Y mofos have been brainwashed by the Bron hype but I prefer real legends over time, not BSPN created legends.....Kobe is still more skilled that Bron while Bron still depends on his HGH body....

Uh....I happen to be a Laker fan, and I also hated Michael Jordan.

And yes, Kobe is the best player in the league, right now.

But I have enough objectivity to recognize that Kobe is not on the same level that Jordan was.

ARROW2
05-02-2009, 01:41 PM
Uh....I happen to be a Laker fan, and I also hated Michael Jordan.

And yes, Kobe is the best player in the league, right now.

But I have enough objectivity to recognize that Kobe is not on the same level that Jordan was.

Skillwise, without a doubt. Resume wise, it won't be an exact match, but you can't deny the skills. He is the closest thing to Mike since Mike...

ARROW2
05-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Gotta go eat, I will respond later.....I hate reading the Laker bashing on this board, I couldn't hold my peace any longer

kcxiv
05-02-2009, 01:44 PM
I'm in playoff mode.....don't F with me! Not a good time......I will be glad when the haters have a big ole helping of STFU!! I hope we do it at the expense of the green bastards from Boston or the anointed one....either way, makes no difference to me....

I like this guy right here!

Go Lakers fuck the rest.

Pioli Zombie
05-02-2009, 01:55 PM
I've said this before. Last year in finals Kobe didn't scare me as a Celtics fan. LeBron scared the liven shit out of me.

Best players I've seen in this order

Michael Jordan
Wilt Chamberlain
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
LeBron is getting there...
Posted via Mobile Device

kcxiv
05-02-2009, 01:57 PM
I've said this before. Last year in finals Kobe didn't scare me as a Celtics fan. LeBron scared the liven shit out of me.

Best players I've seen in this order

Michael Jordan
Wilt Chamberlain
Larry Bird
Magic Johnson
LeBron is getting there...
Posted via Mobile DeviceAs a Lakers fan Lebron doesnt scare me if they play the Lakers. Lebron had 2 really bad games against the Lakers. He went 1 on 1 with a much much smaller Kobe and Kobe shut his ass down.

Boston would worry me more minus Garnett at this point. They have so many people that you have to account for. With Cleveland is if Lebron doesnt have a good game, which in 2 games he didnt this year you win. He has to play to superstar level every single game.

CoMoChief
05-02-2009, 02:23 PM
VERY LONNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG!

I still think Paul right now would fuckin own Stockton in his prime.

CoMoChief
05-02-2009, 02:25 PM
PG - Chris Paul
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Lebron James
PF - Karl Malone
C - Bill Russell

Head Coach - Roy Williams :evil:

Pioli Zombie
05-02-2009, 02:27 PM
PG - Chris Paul
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Lebron James
PF - Karl Malone
C - Bill Russell

Is this a fucking joke I hope?

You got MJ right at least

NEXT.
Posted via Mobile Device

kcxiv
05-02-2009, 02:40 PM
Is this a ****ing joke I hope?

NEXT.
Posted via Mobile Device

I could go with a all Lakers team to compete with that

Magic
Kobe
Worthy
Gasol
Kareem/Shaq/Chamberlain

Pick your poison. lol

Damn to think about it Lakers haven't really had a kick ass power forward. Gasol in a year and a half is probably the best one they have had. lol

CoMoChief
05-02-2009, 02:42 PM
Is this a ****ing joke I hope?

NEXT.
Posted via Mobile Device

I was kidding about Roy Williams.

But Chris Paul would maul just about any point guard enshrined into the NBA HOF. The only other guy at PG I would consider is Oscar Robertson

MJ is a given

Lebron is more athletic, bigger, stronger, jumps out of this world, hes just a freak of nature for anyone at the SF position to handle. Lebron would handle Bird, Magic, or anyone else you would want to put there.

Karl Malone, top 5 all time scorer in the NBA. In his prime he was a badass at everything, scoring defense rebounding. I can't list another PF I would take before him.

Bill Russell - greatest center of all time. Sorry to other fellow KU fans, Russell's better than Wilt.

kcxiv
05-02-2009, 02:46 PM
I would take Jabbar over Russell.

I still think the Captain is the best center followed by Hakeem the Dream. No center ever could touch his post game.

CoMoChief
05-02-2009, 02:55 PM
I could go with a all Lakers team to compete with that

Magic
Kobe
Worthy
Gasol
Kareem/Shaq/Chamberlain

Pick your poison. lol

Damn to think about it Lakers haven't really had a kick ass power forward. Gasol in a year and a half is probably the best one they have had. lol

I guess you forgot what happened to Gasol last year in the Finals. Garnett owned him............bad

kcxiv
05-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I guess you forgot what happened to Gasol last year in the Finals. Garnett owned him............bad

The whole Celtics owned the Lakers, but whats that gotta do with the Lakers never having a good power foward in the history of their franchise?

Celtics are pretty much done this year, they were a 1 year hired gun.

Pioli Zombie
05-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Russell was surrounded by Hall of Famers and was never asked to play offense. I'm a Celtics fan. I grew up in New England. And Wilt was better than Russell. Wilt even played the Russell role in 1972 and won that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Demonpenz
05-02-2009, 04:32 PM
bird was good for his era, but players now are too fast and strong for him if he played today. He would be a better troy murphy. Plus how many shots do you think bird got off just because they were stairing at his horrible white white white legs and those shorts.

RJ
05-02-2009, 05:39 PM
bird was good for his era, but players now are too fast and strong for him if he played today. He would be a better troy murphy. Plus how many shots do you think bird got off just because they were stairing at his horrible white white white legs and those shorts.

Coincidentally, the players back then were also too fast and too strong for him.

stevieray
05-02-2009, 05:49 PM
bird was good for his era, but players now are too fast and strong for him if he played today. He would be a better troy murphy. Plus how many shots do you think bird got off just because they were stairing at his awesome fundamentals and incredible jump shot?

FYP

kcxiv
05-02-2009, 05:53 PM
lol. Bird would have absolutely no problem holding his own in todays game. He was big himself. Back then weight lifting wasn't the norm. If he was in todays era, he could easily strengthen up a little without losing anything off his shot.

Demonpenz
05-02-2009, 06:42 PM
FYP

so yes, we are talking a better troy murphy

Demonpenz
05-02-2009, 06:44 PM
lol. Bird would have absolutely no problem holding his own in todays game. He was big himself. Back then weight lifting wasn't the norm. If he was in todays era, he could easily strengthen up a little without losing anything off his shot.

exactly, troy murphy holds his own.

ARROW2
05-02-2009, 06:48 PM
PG - Chris Paul
SG - Michael Jordan
SF - Lebron James
PF - Karl Malone
C - Bill Russell

No Magic Johnson? Are you fkin kiddin me?

ARROW2
05-02-2009, 06:53 PM
You have a right to that opinion. Tell me this, other than Jordan, what Shooting guard would you put over Kobe? Don't say Bron, he is a forward...

STILL WAITING...................................I think I hear crickets....

Pitt Gorilla
05-02-2009, 07:56 PM
Growing up, I was a HUGE Celtics fan (kids were either Lakers or Celtics fans as there, evidently, weren't any other teams) and Larry Legend was my favorite. After watching many, many games of both, I would take LeBron.

Pioli Zombie
05-02-2009, 07:59 PM
The whole Celtics owned the Lakers, but whats that gotta do with the Lakers never having a good power foward in the history of their franchise?

Celtics are pretty much done this year, they were a 1 year hired gun.
Brilliant. Ya think losing Garnett and Powe might have had an effect?
Posted via Mobile Device

UteChief
05-02-2009, 08:09 PM

Dude, that is Deron. I don't think Paul will be the best ever, his career will be shorter than Magic and Stockton because of how small he is. I'm not sure he'll take the abuse. He sure is fun to watch though.

UteChief
05-02-2009, 08:11 PM
stockton-Point
JORDAN-SG
kobe-SF
karl malone-PF
Kareem AJ-C

Best of 7?

I'm taking your team.

kcxiv
05-02-2009, 08:11 PM
Dude, that Deron. I don't think Paul will be the best ever, his career will be shorter than Magic and Stockton because of how small he is. I'm not sure he'll take the abuse. He sure is fun to watch though.

IF he plays long enough he may. He certainly the best point guard in the game followed by Deron. They are both fun to watch.

UteChief
05-02-2009, 08:12 PM

SG - Jordan
SF - James
PF - Malone
C - Russell

Stockton in his prime would make Paul look like a high schooler.

UteChief
05-02-2009, 08:15 PM

Wow, one of the dumbest statements I have read on this board.

rolstrol
05-02-2009, 08:25 PM
Russell was surrounded by Hall of Famers and was never asked to play offense. I'm a Celtics fan. I grew up in New England. And Wilt was better than Russell. Wilt even played the Russell role in 1972 and won that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

Seems like Wilt should of played that way more.

UteChief
05-02-2009, 08:26 PM
I was kidding about Roy Williams.

Karl Malone, top 5 all time scorer in the NBA. In his prime he was a badass at everything, scoring defense rebounding. I can't list another PF I would take before him.

I'm actually really surprised no one has mentioned Tim Duncan over Malone. Malone never really finished.

kcxiv
05-02-2009, 08:29 PM
I'm actually really surprised no one has mentioned Tim Duncan over Malone. Malone never really finished.

hehe, Duncan is the best Power Forward to ever play, but he's quiet and he's boring to watch, but he's a great player.

Tribal Warfare
05-03-2009, 02:31 AM
Wilt was better than Russell.
Posted via Mobile Device

Russell pwned Wilt on the defensive side of the game, and it's not even close there. Thus, neutralizing Chamberlain

Tribal Warfare
05-03-2009, 02:33 AM

Jordan himself has said the players from the 80's to the mid 90's of the league are better than the current players

Reerun_KC
05-03-2009, 05:33 AM
Yeah, that's why he once again, LEADS THE TEAM IN ASSISTS....just like he did during the threepeat....what do you mean, "during the threepeat"?

Reerun_KC
05-03-2009, 05:36 AM
This just isn't true, you aren't watching if you think this. It's a different game than college, no doubt. But that doesn't make it any less compelling to watch, especially in the playoffs.

You are correct my friend, I have tried honestly tried, but I find the NBA as compelling as hockey...

Sorry, I just find the Pro game less meaningful to the players. Hell we have the OKC Thunder and I have turned down free tickets several times, just for the simple fact that I find the game very thuggish at the pro level.

kcxiv
05-03-2009, 05:45 AM
You are correct my friend, I have tried honestly tried, but I find the NBA as compelling as hockey...

Sorry, I just find the Pro game less meaningful to the players. Hell we have the OKC Thunder and I have turned down free tickets several times, just for the simple fact that I find the game very thuggish at the pro level.

Thats becuase the OKC Thunder team sucks ass. If there was some winning its alot better to watch.

Its like the Chiefs right now, they sucked last year and it showed in the attendance. The games were hard to watch. I watched them last year, but i didnt enjoy that product they put out. that shit was horrible to watch.

To top it off, i seen Herm and his stupid ass fucking smirk on his face. Then his pressers where he threw the team under the bus and never took any blame.

That was just a fun thign to watch and to get into. Exciting stuff we had to endure the last 2 years.

Reerun_KC
05-03-2009, 05:51 AM
Thats becuase the OKC Thunder team sucks ass. If there was some winning its alot better to watch.

Its like the Chiefs right now, they sucked last year and it showed in the attendance. The games were hard to watch. I watched them last year, but i didnt enjoy that product they put out. that shit was horrible to watch.

To top it off, i seen Herm and his stupid ass ****ing smirk on his face. Then his pressers where he threw the team under the bus and never took any blame.

That was just a fun thign to watch and to get into. Exciting stuff we had to endure the last 2 years.

But the OKC Thunder were sold out most of the time and attendance was pretty strong all season long for the size of this market...

Its okay, each is to their own. I find the NBA repulsive, its just me, I have no dog in this fight, (cool a Vick reference) so I will bow out of this thread...

Coach
05-03-2009, 05:55 AM

I would have to disagree with you that Stockton are overrated. It is no easy feat to hold a NBA record in assists, as well as steals. Not only he can pass, but he can play defense as well. He's also durable, as he only missed 22 games in his 19 year career.

I also liked Stockton, because he was what you'd call "old school" basketball player, because he is considered one of the toughest players to play this game. And I have to say that there were no great teams, yeah, you're probably right, there weren't many great teams, but there were great individual players, like Jordan, Olajuwon, Barkley, Ewing, Miller, to name a few.

milkman
05-03-2009, 06:00 AM
Wow, one of the dumbest statements I have read on this board.

If you get your lips off of Stockton and Malone's balls, you might make an actual contribution to this board.

milkman
05-03-2009, 06:11 AM
I would have to disagree with you that Stockton are overrated. It is no easy feat to hold a NBA record in assists, as well as steals. Not only he can pass, but he can play defense as well. He's also durable, as he only missed 22 games in his 19 year career.

I also liked Stockton, because he was what you'd call "old school" basketball player, because he is considered one of the toughest players to play this game. And I have to say that there were no great teams, yeah, you're probably right, there weren't many great teams, but there were great individual players, like Jordan, Olajuwon, Barkley, Ewing, Miller, to name a few.

Yeah, individual records are great.

But the fact remains, they were the leaders of a team that couldn't win a championship in an era when there were no great teams.

UteChief
05-03-2009, 07:09 AM
For those of you that want to match old vs. new try www.whatifsports.com

UteChief
05-03-2009, 07:12 AM
If you get your lips off of Stockton and Malone's balls, you might make an actual contribution to this board.

I agree to some extent Malone was overrated but that's bull shit about Stockton. And if you want to start stupid shit like that?

I'll get my lips off theirs when your mom is finished suckin mine!

milkman
05-03-2009, 07:21 AM
I agree to some extent Malone was overrated but that's bull shit about Stockton. And if you want to start stupid shit like that?

I'll get my lips off theirs when your mom is finished suckin mine!

Hey, my 72 year old mother needs some too.

ARROW2
05-03-2009, 07:28 AM
what do you mean, "during the threepeat"?

You're not serious are you? Have you been under a fkin rock or something? Did you not know the Lakers won three in a row from 200-2002?

UteChief
05-03-2009, 07:34 AM
You're not serious are you? Have you been under a fkin rock or something? Did you not know the Lakers won three in a row from 200-2002?

Are you sure you don't mean 1802

RNR
05-03-2009, 08:20 AM
For those of you that want to match old vs. new try www.whatifsports.com
Home or away it does not matter Your guys best our best the result is the same :D
http://www.whatifsports.com/NFL/boxscore.asp?GameID=1224158&nomenu=1&teamfee=-1&theme=-1

http://www.whatifsports.com/NFL/boxscore.asp?GameID=1224165&nomenu=1&teamfee=-1&theme=-1

Simply Red
05-03-2009, 08:31 AM
L. James is a modern day NBA player. Bird mastered the basics. I agree w/ above poster, they're both unique in their own way.

alanm
05-03-2009, 09:12 AM
Dude, that is Deron. I don't think Paul will be the best ever, his career will be shorter than Magic and Stockton because of how small he is. I'm not sure he'll take the abuse. He sure is fun to watch though.The Nuggets beat the shit out of him for 5 straight games and turned him into a non factor. He was probably laying in bed for 2 days after the series ended. Paul needs better players around him because he can't carry the Hornets by himself.

whoman69
05-03-2009, 10:57 AM
I always have to laugh that everyone thinks the newest flavor is always the best ever. Let LaBron win a couple of titles and ask me again. He hasn't proven he can beat the test of time nor that he can take his team to a title.

irishjayhawk
05-03-2009, 11:51 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

+10000000

BWillie
05-03-2009, 12:17 PM
Know what is crazy? I just looked up the stats from each and LeBron easily averages more three's made a game than Bird did. Of course Bird is the better shooter and had a better percentage but that just surprised me.

RippedmyFlesh
05-03-2009, 01:02 PM

I agree but I just think it is the number of games.
Because of $$ it would never happen but a 50 game regular season would provide the intensity it's lacking.
Lets say an nba team goes 2 rounds in playoffs and out 82 plus say 10 couple of preseason games and you are close to 100.
Even 2 NC seasons in a row for KU and they wouldn't play that many games.
Thats why college hoops is more fun to watch it's a sprint not a marathon like the nba.