PDA

View Full Version : Music KQRC 98.9 the rock

sodcat
07-17-2009, 06:28 PM
Anyone else think they play way to many commercials? I was driving home this evening they played 2 or 3 songs than about 6 minutes of commercials and other junk. Is XM worth the price and is the reception quality good, at least in the KC area? THanx for any input. I was out in VA beach last summer and their radio station, WNOR was 10 times better, and a lot larger selection of songs unlike the rock who plays a lot of the same songs.

Bowser
07-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Way too many commercials, and way too many of the same old, same old songs. I have Sirius, and it is worth every single dime (never thought I'd say that about the thought of buying radio, but there it is).

And speaking of which, whatever happened to Jason Nivins in the evening? He was actually a pretty entertaining dude (as far as radio clowns go).

Halfcan
07-17-2009, 07:35 PM
Johnny Dare is fuggin annoying as hell-shut the fug up already and play some music.

petegz28
07-17-2009, 07:39 PM
98.9 Rock=Metallica, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, Ozzy, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, Led Zepplin, AC\DC, Godsmack, AC\DC, Metallica, AC\DC, Pink Floyd, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, AC\DC, AC\DC, Godsmack.....

Bowser
07-17-2009, 07:42 PM
98.9 Rock=Metallica, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, Ozzy, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, Led Zepplin, AC\DC, Godsmack, AC\DC, Metallica, AC\DC, Pink Floyd, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, AC\DC, AC\DC, Godsmack.....

Right after requested Santa Monica!

"Bob" Dobbs
07-17-2009, 07:43 PM
98.9 Rock=Metallica, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, Ozzy, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, Led Zepplin, AC\DC, Godsmack, AC\DC, Metallica, AC\DC, Pink Floyd, AC\DC, Godsmack, Metallica, AC\DC, AC\DC, AC\DC, Godsmack.....Yeah, but they ARE #1. Must be doing SOMETHING right.

Bowser
07-17-2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah, but they ARE #1. Must be doing SOMETHING right.

Yeah, there's nothing else to compete with. They are it when it comes to "rock" in KC.

petegz28
07-17-2009, 07:45 PM
Yeah, there's nothing else to compete with. They are it when it comes to "rock" in KC.

This.....

If it weren't for 98.9, however, I would not have invested in a bad ass stereo and sound system for the camaro that plays CD's and MP3's!!!!!

"Bob" Dobbs
07-17-2009, 07:53 PM
Yeah, there's nothing else to compete with. They are it when it comes to "rock" in KC.I mean they're #1 over EVERY station. It's a VERY well programmed station. That's why there's no direct competition; they kicked everyone's ass who tried.

Bowser
07-17-2009, 07:58 PM
I mean they're #1 over EVERY station. It's a VERY well programmed station. That's why there's no direct competition; they kicked everyone's ass who tried.

Their musical selection sucks. Johnny does his thing in the morning; Moose has the 80's selections down; NeanderPaul does a little harder stuff, with the same rectycled shit thrown in (by request), and Ryan Westward brings a bit more edge to the music, but has zero personality (and does anyone know what happened to Nivins? He was there, then gone, just like that). My point is that you could almost carbon copy each day of 98.9, then replay it day after day, almost down to the same songs at the same part of each day. It's that repetitive and predictable.

mikeyis4dcats.
07-17-2009, 07:59 PM
thats corporate radio.

I give them credit for at least trying to stray as far as Entercom will allow them.

Bowser
07-17-2009, 08:01 PM
thats corporate radio.

I give them credit for at least trying to stray as far as Entercom will allow them.

I agree, and that's why I love satellite. It's nice to hear songs you haven't heard in forever, if not some you've never heard on a radio from your favorite artists.

petegz28
07-17-2009, 08:03 PM
I agree, and that's why I love satellite. It's nice to hear songs you haven't heard in forever, if not some you've never heard on a radio from your favorite artists.

Kansas City rock stations are all the same...Pnk Floyd, Led Zepplin, AC\DC, Metallica,,,when 99.7 (the old 102) was still around, at any given time you could flip between 98.9, 101 and 102 and hear one of those bands......

"Bob" Dobbs
07-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Their musical selection sucks. Johnny does his thing in the morning; Moose has the 80's selections down; NeanderPaul does a little harder stuff, with the same rectycled shit thrown in (by request), and Ryan Westward brings a bit more edge to the music, but has zero personality (and does anyone know what happened to Nivins? He was there, then gone, just like that). My point is that you could almost carbon copy each day of 98.9, then replay it day after day, almost down to the same songs at the same part of each day. It's that repetitive and predictable.I guess my point is that, well, it WORKS. KQRC's numbers are up significantly right now. I mean, I GET that it's stale and repetitive, but for every one of us that HATES small playlists, there are 50 that keep listening to it. That's why Sirius exists (although THEIR highest rated channels have, guess what, very tight playlists... just no commercials).

"Bob" Dobbs
07-17-2009, 08:06 PM
thats corporate radio.

I give them credit for at least trying to stray as far as Entercom will allow them.Realistically, Entercom couldn't care LESS what any of their stations play, as long as it's profitable. Period.

Bowser
07-17-2009, 08:08 PM
I guess my point is that, well, it WORKS. KQRC's numbers are up significantly right now. I mean, I GET that it's stale and repetitive, but for every one of us that HATES small playlists, there are 50 that keep listening to it. That's why Sirius exists (although THEIR highest rated channels have, guess what, very tight playlists... just no commercials).

At your station, do you have "all request hours", and if you do, are you governed by what songs you can play? Example - could you play Van Halen's D.O.A. if someone called up and asked to hear it?

Bowser
07-17-2009, 08:09 PM
I guess my point is that, well, it WORKS. KQRC's numbers are up significantly right now. I mean, I GET that it's stale and repetitive, but for every one of us that HATES small playlists, there are 50 that keep listening to it. That's why Sirius exists (although THEIR highest rated channels have, guess what, very tight playlists... just no commercials).

And just to be clear, I totally agree with what you're saying. This is just a long running personal pet peeve I have with radio stations in KC, and 98.9 in particular.

JuicesFlowing
07-17-2009, 08:09 PM
I hate commercials, but it pays their bills. Thankfully there is more than one station to go to when commercials come on. What I mostly hate is the timing, especially on sports talk radio, when they "go too long" on a segment, then when they come back from commercial break, they talk for 14 seconds then have to break to commercials again. Bleh ... at least the radio doesn't play them too loud ... "HEY, BILLY MAYS HERE ....."

"Bob" Dobbs
07-17-2009, 08:12 PM
We don't have "all-request" times, per se. I DO take requests, and as long as it fits the general motif of the station, sure I'll play it. EVERY 35-50 year old guy is familiar with DOA, and that's who I'M programming to (on my classic rock station, anyway. I have other stations with other formats for other audiences.) For the vast majority of ANY music stations audience, a major truism is "They don't know what they like, they like what they know"... So as long as a song is familiar to the target listener, hell, yeah it's playable.

"Bob" Dobbs
07-17-2009, 08:15 PM
And just to be clear, I totally agree with what you're saying. This is just a long running personal pet peeve I have with radio stations in KC, and 98.9 in particular.I hear ya. I have many friends that worked there for a long time, so I had a backstage view for a while. But you can't argue with success... Remember, it's "Show Business", not "Show Art", so the primary goal is to make as much money as possible.

Bowser
07-17-2009, 08:16 PM
We don't have "all-request" times, per se. I DO take requests, and as long as it fits the general motif of the station, sure I'll play it. EVERY 35-50 year old guy is familiar with DOA, and that's who I'M programming to (on my classic rock station, anyway. I have other stations with other formats for other audiences.) For the vast majority of ANY music stations audience, a major truism is "They don't know what they like, they like what they know"... So as long as a song is familiar to the target listener, hell, yeah it's playable.

Cool, you're sure to hang onto some listeners that way. I can think of two stations that absolutely KILL 98.9 when it comes to programming - 89.7 The River in Omaha, and 100.1 The Buzz in Mid-Missouri. NEVER the same ol, same ol on those two.....

I should tape a week's worth of songs from 98.9 and let you listen, then you'd be as annoyed as I am, lol.

Bugeater
07-17-2009, 08:19 PM
Cool, you're sure to hang onto some listeners that way. I can think of two stations that absolutely KILL 98.9 when it comes to programming - 89.7 The River in Omaha, and 100.1 The Buzz in Mid-Missouri. NEVER the same ol, same ol on those two.....

I should tape a week's worth of songs from 98.9 and let you listen, then you'd be as annoyed as I am, lol.
Apparently you have never listened to The River two days in a row.

Al Bundy
07-17-2009, 08:20 PM
They introduced me to Halestorm. That girl can sing and she is beautiful.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bowser
07-17-2009, 08:21 PM
Apparently you have never listened to The River two days in a row.

Eh, you got me there. They certainly play a wider selection than does 98.9. I usually just hear them when I head up and back in a day for work.

"Bob" Dobbs
07-17-2009, 08:21 PM

I should tape a week's worth of songs from 98.9 and let you listen, then you'd be as annoyed as I am, lol.ROTFL Oh I know what they're playing... AND how often. I gotta tell ya, though, as far as rock stations go, 98,9 really is pretty good at it. They would demolish the Buzz, guaranteed, and I haven't heard the Omaha station, so I reserve jusgement... but I still bet 98,9 would win.

Demonpenz
07-17-2009, 08:24 PM
do they still have the pit? That they can play commercials all day long just to have everyone change the channel once the hardest half hour of hardcore comes on.

Bowser
07-17-2009, 08:24 PM
ROTFL Oh I know what they're playing... AND how often. I gotta tell ya, though, as far as rock stations go, 98,9 really is pretty good at it. They would demolish the Buzz, guaranteed, and I haven't heard the Omaha station, so I reserve jusgement... but I still bet 98,9 would win.

I'll yield to the expert here. Pete just struck a nerve in showing what the Rock plays earlier in the thread. They certainly are a cashcow for Entercom...

"Bob" Dobbs
07-17-2009, 08:25 PM
I'll yield to the expert here. Pete just struck a nerve in showing what the Rock plays earlier in the thread. They certainly are a cashcow for Entercom...Exactly. And that's why they won't change till they need to.

sedated
07-17-2009, 08:28 PM
And speaking of which, whatever happened to Jason Nivins in the evening? He was actually a pretty entertaining dude (as far as radio clowns go).

Nivins was fired.

According to J.Dare, Entercom fired all of their evening guys as a part of a major layoff - didn't matter the name, the 7pm guys all got the boot.

Bugeater
07-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Eh, you got me there. They certainly play a wider selection than does 98.9. I usually just hear them when I head up and back in a day for work.
They're definitely out of the mainstream as far as the type of music they play, that's for sure, but they are repetitive. I had to listen to that channel for three weeks straight when I was working on a Walgreen's a couple years ago because the goddamn electricians were blaring it every day, by the end of the third day I wanted to put a bullet in my brain.

Then again, music radio in general sucks, I usually listen to sports talk if radio is the only option.

Bowser
07-17-2009, 08:30 PM
Nivins was fired.

According to J.Dare, Entercom fired all of their evening guys as a part of a major layoff - didn't matter the name, the 7pm guys all got the boot.

Well that sucks. Nivins was WAAAY better at the entertaining part of his job than Ryan Westward is.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Piss on KC radio!

(static)

"Come On and Drink some DraIn-O(Drain-O)"!

(static)

"And he said some day I hope you get the chance, to hear some bacon FRYYYYYYYYYYYIN'"!

(static)

"EXXXXXXIT Cool!, ENNNNNTER SUU-UU-UCK; we're off to big-assed Bankroll Land"

(sound of gun shooting radio)

sedated
07-17-2009, 08:37 PM
A couple of issues with 98.9:

- The drive at 5 - "60 MINUTES of non-stop rock" - goes 45 minutes max, and the dipshit DJ talks through the whole thing. I don't mind 45 minutes, but don't advertise "60 MINUTES" when it isn't.

- They apparently HAVE to play that Living Colour "Personality" song every day, like they signed a 50 year contract. Its always on. They can't stick with a quality single, but I still hear shit from Living Colour on a daily basis. same goes for Stabbing Westward.

sedated
07-17-2009, 08:38 PM
98.9's self-promotion even includes the biggest red-necks you've ever heard, so I think they are aware of the stigma...errr...audience.

Bowser
07-17-2009, 08:39 PM
A couple of issues with 98.9:

- The drive at 5 - "60 MINUTES of non-stop rock" - goes 45 minutes max, and the dipshit DJ talks through the whole thing. I don't mind 45 minutes, but don't advertise "60 MINUTES" when it isn't.

- They apparently HAVE to play that Living Colour "Personality" song every day, like they signed a 50 year contract. Its always on. They can't stick with a quality single, but I still hear shit from Living Colour on a daily basis. same goes for Stabbing Westward.

And don't forget "You" from Candlebox. Always by request.

sodcat
07-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Even Johnny Dare is getting old, seems the same-o same-o each morning! Sometimes when on line I tune into http://www.knac.com/ at least they mix it up pretty good!

DaneMcCloud
07-17-2009, 08:42 PM
Johnny Dare is fuggin annoying as hell-shut the fug up already and play some music.

Johnny was lame in the late 80's/early 90's when he deejayed at the Lone Star in Westport.

I can't even imagine how bad it is now...

"Bob" Dobbs
07-17-2009, 08:43 PM
98.9's self-promotion even includes the biggest red-necks you've ever heard, so I think they are aware of the stigma...errr...audience.They absolutely are aware. Hell, they COUNT on that audience... cuz they buy an awful lot of beer & Harley accessories..

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2009, 08:47 PM
Johnny was lame in the late 80's/early 90's when he deejayed at the Lone Star in Westport.

I can't even imagine how bad it is now...

The dude is still 12 years old, I can guarantee you that.

"Bob" Dobbs
07-17-2009, 08:51 PM
The dude is still 12 years old, I can guarantee you that....but he still has like a 10 share up against 35 or so other signals. IT WORKS.

petegz28
07-17-2009, 08:52 PM
The dude is still 12 years old, I can guarantee you that.

And he thinks the whole Spicolli\Biker\Strip Bar image is cool

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2009, 08:58 PM
...but he still has like a 10 share up against 35 or so other signals. IT WORKS.

Oh he's a local bigwig alright and the station and show do a lot to help the community, but I got tired of his shtick.

I DID however like it when Mancow used to rip him a new one almost everyday though.

:fire:

"Bob" Dobbs
07-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Oh he's a local bigwig alright and the station and show do a lot to help the community, but I got tired of his shtick.

I DID however like it when Mancow used to rip him a new one almost everyday though.

:fire:I remember back in the mid 80's when Howard Stern just DESTROYED John DeBella on the air (his competition at WMMR in Philly) to the point where DeBella's wife left him and IMMEDIATELY went on Howard's show. She talked about how small his dick was, etc. It was BRUTAL. ROFL

KCUnited
07-17-2009, 10:07 PM
I stand alone today WHY YOU FEEL Don't ask me why I feel
I just know I feel this way WHAT YOU SAY I stand alone today

YEAAHHH!!

petegz28
07-17-2009, 10:08 PM

YEAAHHH!!

I hate that fucking band....

Bugeater
07-17-2009, 10:10 PM
There's actually a radio station out there that still plays Jackyl?

petegz28
07-17-2009, 10:11 PM

Isn't Jesse James DuPree some idol of Dare's?

petegz28
07-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Johny Dare's hero...

http://musicremedy.com/webfiles/artists/JesseJamesDupree/JesseJamesDupree-02-big.jpg

KCUnited
07-17-2009, 10:13 PM
I hate that ****ing band....
Then you hate Olathe.

petegz28
07-17-2009, 10:13 PM
Then you hate Olathe.

That makes no sense...

if I hate Jackyl then I hate Olathe???

Ok......:spock:

sedated
07-17-2009, 10:19 PM

JDare brags about his motorcycle drunk-fests with the lead singer.

KCUnited
07-17-2009, 10:29 PM
That makes no sense...

if I hate Jackyl then I hate Olathe???

Ok......:spock:
hmmmm. I get a real strong Olathe vibe from that song. Like Sweet Home Alabama is to Birmingham. Like California Dreaming is to LA. Like Woman From Tokyo is to Korea. I Stand Alone is total Olathe. Its weird, I can't quite put my finger on it as to why.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2009, 10:35 PM
hmmmm. I get a real strong Olathe vibe from that song. Like Sweet Home Alabama is to Birmingham. Like California Dreaming is to LA. Like Woman From Tokyo is to Korea. I Stand Alone is total Olathe. Its weird, I can't quite put my finger on it as to why.

If I didn't hate Olathe before, I sure as fuck do now.:fire:

petegz28
07-17-2009, 10:36 PM

Tokyo is in Japan...what did I miss?

alanm
07-17-2009, 10:39 PM
This.....

If it weren't for 98.9, however, I would not have invested in a bad ass stereo and sound system for the camaro that plays CD's and MP3's!!!!!
Oh.. Way to perpetuate a stereotype Pete. :shake: :D

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2009, 10:41 PM

I think you missed the Great Olathe Forest. You know, the place where they use chainsaws to cut down 200ft trees just like JJ Dupree cuts down barstools.

Yeah; that's the ticket!

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Oh.. Way to perpetuate a stereotype Pete. :shake: :D

He got a Hemi!

http://www.hollywood-diecast.com/joe%20dirt%20daytona.jpg
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/7397/hairyshouldersgc8.jpg

petegz28
07-17-2009, 10:47 PM
I think you missed the Great Olathe Forest. You know, the place where they use chainsaws to cut down 200ft trees just like JJ Dupree cuts down barstools.

Yeah; that's the ticket!

I think you need another hit....

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2009, 10:48 PM

You offering?

sedated
07-17-2009, 10:49 PM

yeah. in the face. with a baseball bat.

petegz28
07-17-2009, 10:53 PM
You offering?

This is Kansas, nimrod, .....we don't have 200ft tall trees......

fuck I can see from my house to Dallas......

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2009, 10:54 PM
yeah. in the face. with a baseball bat.

I'll huckleberry anytime you like, bitch.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2009, 10:55 PM
This is Kansas, nimrod, .....we don't have 200ft tall trees......

fuck I can see from my house to Dallas......

Yeah, that was kind of the point.:spock:

petegz28
07-17-2009, 10:56 PM
I'll huckleberry anytime you like, bitch.

That makes no sense....

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2009, 10:57 PM
That makes no sense....

Man, do you get out much?

petegz28
07-17-2009, 10:57 PM
Yeah, that was kind of the point.:spock:

ah, that's why you said Olathe is the place where they use chainsaws to cut down 200ft trees........my bad....:rolleyes:

petegz28
07-17-2009, 10:58 PM
Man, do you get out much?

You can be a huckleberry but you can't hucklerberry.........huckleberry is a noun, not a verb

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2009, 11:00 PM
You can be a huckleberry but you can't hucklerberry.........huckleberry is a noun, not a verb

Oh you can huckleberry!

petegz28
07-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Oh you can huckleberry!

right, just like Tokyo is in Korea and Olathe has 200ft tall trees.....my bad

KCUnited
07-17-2009, 11:01 PM
I know I'm not articulating myself well, but you know, like Marianne is to Boston. Like Ice Ice Baby is to Miami. Like White Room With Beef Curtains is to Fargo. I Stand Alone is Olathe. I don't know, it could just be me.

petegz28
07-17-2009, 11:04 PM
I know I'm not articulating myself well, but you know, like Marianne is to Boston. Like Ice Ice Baby is to Miami. Like White Room With Beef Curtains is to Fargo. I Stand Alone is Olathe. I don't know, it could just be me.

I think you can be sure of that.

It would be more Independence or old Shawnee of anything

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2009, 11:08 PM
right, just like Tokyo is in Korea and Olathe has 200ft tall trees.....my bad

Okay, 1) You can call fighting whatever the hell you want to.

2) The idea of attaching "I stand alone today" to motherfucking Olathe or anywhere else because IT DOESN'T MENTION A GODDAMNED THING ABOUT ANY LOCATION ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, OR ANYWHERE IN THE SONG, IS FUCKING LUDICROUS!

SORT OF LIKE SAYING OLATHE HAS A FOREST!

OI!

JOhn
07-17-2009, 11:11 PM
Okay, 1) You can call fighting whatever the hell you want to.

2) The idea of attaching "I stand alone today" to mother****ing Olathe or anywhere else because IT DOESN'T MENTION A GODDAMNED THING ABOUT ANY LOCATION ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD, OR ANYWHERE IN THE SONG, IS ****ING LUDICROUS!

SORT OF LIKE SAYING OLATHE HAS A FOREST!

OI!

So really, what are you trying to say? :D

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-17-2009, 11:13 PM
So really, what are your trying to say? :D

LMAO:banghead:

acesn8s
07-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Anyone else think they play way to many commercials? I was driving home this evening they played 2 or 3 songs than about 6 minutes of commercials and other junk. Is XM worth the price and is the reception quality good, at least in the KC area? THanx for any input. I was out in VA beach last summer and their radio station, WNOR was 10 times better, and a lot larger selection of songs unlike the rock who plays a lot of the same songs.I was listening the other day and they broke in with a 4 minute commercial by Metallica. I mean, if I wanted to hear a commecial I would listen to a cd or something. :cuss:

Bearcat
07-18-2009, 02:23 PM
People still listen to the radio?

Huh.

Saulbadguy
07-18-2009, 02:32 PM
I thought 98.9 was awesome when i was 13
Posted via Mobile Device

Sure-Oz
07-18-2009, 02:33 PM
i haven't listened to 98.9 the rock in years....i remember it was the shit in HS, when they played different music.

Sirius radio ownz

Halfcan
07-18-2009, 02:35 PM
Kerrie Cougar-needs to get laid. Her good girl act gets old. I used to like Murphy-she was pretty classy.

Pioli Zombie
07-18-2009, 02:53 PM
Try 97.3 KLOVE. No commercials. You'll LUV it ;)
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
07-18-2009, 02:56 PM
People still listen to the radio?

Huh.I do. Thanks to HD Radio.

Valiant
07-18-2009, 02:58 PM
I listen to KJOE or whatever it is called from St. Joe.. Seems to me the least commercials out of any station..

Valiant
07-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Niven's got fired/laid off when they were cutting costs.. He is a DJ for thexfights.com now..

sodcat
07-18-2009, 06:33 PM
Anybody know what happened to Murphy, why she left the morning show?

chasedude
07-18-2009, 06:52 PM
got tired of Johnny's jokes? That's why I stopped listening to the show.

morphius
07-18-2009, 07:05 PM
If you think kqrc has too many commercials, listen to 610, 810 or 980 AM on the way home.

"Bob" Dobbs
07-18-2009, 07:27 PM
Anybody know what happened to Murphy, why she left the morning show?She had some personal/family issues. She went home to Chanute, KS for a while and then moved on to Denver, I think.

petegz28
07-18-2009, 07:31 PM
I keep waiting for Bingo and the Baby to do their show in 98.9....then I might listen...:)

WilliamTheIrish
07-18-2009, 07:46 PM
I keep waiting for Bingo and the Baby to do their show in 98.9....then I might listen...:)

Dingo and the Baby. Tard

WilliamTheIrish
07-18-2009, 07:52 PM
98.9 Rock=Metallica, AC\DC, Godsmack, PENIS, Metallica, AC\DC, Godsmack, vagina Metallica, Ozzy, AC\DC, Godsmack, Rectum, Metallica, AC\DC, Led Zepplin, AC\DC, Godsmack, Swampass, AC\DC, Metallica, AC\DC, Pink Floyd, AC\DC, Godsmack, nipple, Metallica, AC\DC, AC\DC, AC\DC, Godsmack, Penis.....

This makes it even more accurate. That show was horrible 15 years ago. I thank the good lord for Sirius every day.

KCrockaholic
07-18-2009, 08:14 PM
lol you guys complaining bout 98.9 would be crying if you moved elsewhere. 98.9 is by far the best rock station ive ever heard. luckily colorado just got a new rock station that happens to be a lot like 98.9. Same voice over guy and everything. I really miss 98.9

KCrockaholic
07-18-2009, 08:15 PM

Shes in Colorado now doing radio over here :)

Bowser
07-18-2009, 08:16 PM
She had some personal/family issues. She went home to Chanute, KS for a while and then moved on to Denver, I think.

She did a stint at 97.3 when that station was doing rock.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-18-2009, 08:17 PM
lol you guys complaining bout 98.9 would be crying if you moved elsewhere. 98.9 is by far the best rock station ive ever heard. luckily colorado just got a new rock station that happens to be a lot like 98.9. Same voice over guy and everything. I really miss 98.9

I've lived without that piece of shit just fine for three years now, thank you.

sodcat
07-18-2009, 08:20 PM

You dont get out much, I've lived on both coast and several places in between and "The Rock" aint in the top ten.

acesn8s
07-18-2009, 08:36 PM
You dont get out much, I've lived on both coast and several places in between and "The Rock" aint in the top ten.Agreed. There are so many more stations that are better.

Mecca
07-18-2009, 10:03 PM
97.3 wasn't bad when it was doing rock now they have some awful religious format, it completely sucks that they changed.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-18-2009, 10:16 PM
97.3 wasn't bad when it was doing rock now they have some awful religious format, it completely sucks that they changed.

Does the DJ threaten to put the devil in a headlock and throw him in to the "Great Soda Machine In The Sky"? :D

"Bob" Dobbs
07-18-2009, 10:25 PM
Does the DJ threaten to put the devil in a headlock and throw him in to the "Great Soda Machine In The Sky"? :DAny 'KRP reference is a good thing, in MY book. :)

Mecca
07-18-2009, 10:28 PM
I'd like to know why they changed to that awful format.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-18-2009, 10:28 PM
Any 'KRP reference is a good thing, in MY book. :)

Yep, I remember when network comedy was actually funny.

Bowser
07-18-2009, 10:29 PM
I'd like to know why they changed to that awful format.

Yeah, it was a strange move on Union Broadcasting's part. I think KQRC can be given a challenge when it comes to rock programming if it's done right.

Mecca
07-18-2009, 10:32 PM
Yeah, it was a strange move on Union Broadcasting's part. I think KQRC can be given a challenge when it comes to rock programming if it's done right.

They went from trying to compete with 98.9 to a station similar to mix 93 and now they're religious it's like they just gave up.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-18-2009, 10:35 PM
They went from trying to compete with 98.9 to a station similar to mix 93 and now they're religious it's like they just gave up.

Whether you know it or not, you just posted a great metaphor for religion in general.

BigMeatballDave
07-18-2009, 11:25 PM
While I miss living in KC, I don't miss the radio stations there. Just not much selection as I remember. Q104 in the late 80s early 90s was awesome. Then they switched to country. Living in NE Ohio I have Cleveland, Akron, and Canton stations to choose from. MUCH more choices. Canton has a kick-ass rock station. Its 106.9 for those visiting the HOF next month.

sportsman1
07-18-2009, 11:33 PM
KC radio stations beat the DFW radio stations. That is some real corporate crap.

morphius
07-18-2009, 11:55 PM
When 98.9 first came out it was 1000x's better than anything else in KC, but as with most things, they aged and become weak.

When I moved to Omaha in 1991 they shortly came out with 93.3 and that was sooooo much better than anything KC had at the time. But even it fell apart.

Bugeater
07-19-2009, 12:20 AM
When 98.9 first came out it was 1000x's better than anything else in KC, but as with most things, they aged and become weak.

When I moved to Omaha in 1991 they shortly came out with 93.3 and that was sooooo much better than anything KC had at the time. But even it fell apart.
Oh god I hated 93 K-rock. They were alright at first, but went downhill quickly. My dickhead supervisor at the time insisted we listen to that station...they had two of the biggest flaming homos on in the morning...and they were the worst ever as far as repeating songs, I remember hearing "Are you gonna go my way" by Lenny Kravitz 2-3 times a day. Every day.

morphius
07-19-2009, 12:26 AM
Oh god I hated 93 K-rock. They were alright at first, but went downhill quickly. My dickhead supervisor at the time insisted we listen to that station...they had two of the biggest flaming homos on in the morning...and they were the worst ever as far as repeating songs, I remember hearing "Are you gonna go my way" by Lenny Kravitz 2-3 times a day. Every day.
Yeah, but KC radio at the time was 102 or 101, which was either really old music or just plain old music. It was sooo painful that it hurt. By the time I left KC I was so sick of Zep, AC/DC, ZZ top, etc that I still can't listen to them in the car. Luckily I never listen to most radio stations to catch the repeats, but I do seem to remember that song getting a lot of play time up there. Morning shows really have nothing to do with the music in the station, you are lucky to ever hear a song on morning radio, but Todd and Tyler (?) had the better show up there. What cracked me up is when the alternitive music hit they started playing stuff nobody had heard of.

Every now and then I could pick up the rock station from Lincoln, hearing Megadeth, on an FM station in the morning was wonderful, lol.

Bugeater
07-19-2009, 12:39 AM
Todd n Tyler were better at the time, but they got old too. It got to the point where their show was just about what they and their little group of friends did the night before, it got quite annoying. My last straw with them was when the fucking arrogant bastards threatened to leave Omaha if the we didn't vote to build the Qwest Center. I have no idea how they are still on the air, everyone I know can't stand them. I know at one time they even got their show on in Springfield, MO. I have no idea if they're still on there though.

Reaper16
07-19-2009, 12:54 AM
My iPod's shuffle mode >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> radio

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-19-2009, 12:59 AM
My iPod's shuffle mode >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> radio

This.

chasedude
07-19-2009, 01:51 AM
If I'm correct, I remember a ZZ99 (99.7) playing all the rock before 98.9 came on the scene. I missed that station when KYYS became KY99.7.

07-19-2009, 04:45 AM
So is this actually pronounced K Crock?

"Bob" Dobbs
07-19-2009, 08:31 AM
If I'm correct, I remember a ZZ99 (99.7) playing all the rock before 98.9 came on the scene. I missed that station when KYYS became KY99.7.Actually KQRC used to BE ZZ99. Back in the day, 99.7 (pre KY) was KMBR... Elevator Music.

KCUnited
07-19-2009, 08:41 AM
Malicious Intent on KJHK 90.7 was as good as radio got around here in the day.

PunkinDrublic
07-19-2009, 08:46 AM
KC radio stations beat the DFW radio stations. That is some real corporate crap.

At least 102.1 the edge (I call it the butterknife) plays a different mix on Sunday nights where they play different types of music. It's only for a couple of hours. I don't remember KC having the same thing although things might have changed since I moved.

jlscorpio
07-19-2009, 09:10 AM
Sirius Liquid Metal/Boneyard/Faction (except when Jason Ellis is on)/and the occasional Lithium pwns any local radio.

morphius
07-19-2009, 09:16 AM
Todd n Tyler were better at the time, but they got old too. It got to the point where their show was just about what they and their little group of friends did the night before, it got quite annoying. My last straw with them was when the fucking arrogant bastards threatened to leave Omaha if the we didn't vote to build the Qwest Center. I have no idea how they are still on the air, everyone I know can't stand them. I know at one time they even got their show on in Springfield, MO. I have no idea if they're still on there though.
I was tired of them long before I left in 2000, but they were okay I just wanted some darn music in the morning. Of course I did forget that KC did have the guys doing the lost leave it to beavers, those were pretty funny when I was a teenager.

Molitoth
07-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Find new bands on the internet.... join a forum of elitist pricks (they usually know what they are talking about).... and put down corporate radio.

"Bob" Dobbs
07-19-2009, 10:27 AM
What about stations run by SMALL corporations?
:harumph:

KCrockaholic
07-19-2009, 12:33 PM
So is this actually pronounced K Crock?

Is that a real question?

KCrockaholic
07-19-2009, 12:35 PM
Honestly I like the harddrive best with lou brudis or whatever his name is. That is played all over the country though.

Sully
07-19-2009, 12:51 PM
I'll say it...

I miss Randy Miller.