PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink What protein powder/supplement do you buy?

googlegoogle
11-25-2009, 01:58 AM
Heard there's some cheap stuff at Costco or Sam's club.

BWillie
11-25-2009, 02:21 AM
Unless you are allergic to whey protein concentrate you will safe yourself alot of money by just getting the cheap shit. It's all whey, just make sure it's not diluted with filler. If you get x amount of whey protein concentrate for say $29 you would get the same amount of whey protein isolate for like $100. Unless you have money growing on trees, does it really make that much of a difference? The EAS bags of whey at Sam's Club are real cheap - almost as cheap as you can buy anywhere on the internet.

munkey
11-25-2009, 05:43 AM
I use the costco eas but I might try the muscle milk now that they carry it now
Posted via Mobile Device

PhillyChiefFan
11-25-2009, 06:25 AM
Unless you are allergic to whey protein concentrate you will safe yourself alot of money by just getting the cheap shit. It's all whey, just make sure it's not diluted with filler. If you get x amount of whey protein concentrate for say $29 you would get the same amount of whey protein isolate for like $100. Unless you have money growing on trees, does it really make that much of a difference? The EAS bags of whey at Sam's Club are real cheap - almost as cheap as you can buy anywhere on the internet.

I agree with that, but I have a hard time choking down some of the stuff they sell at say Walmart.

www.supplementwarehouse.com has Twinlab Chocolate on sale for 29.99. I use to get the stuff on sale for 38.99. So it's a pretty good price. Also it's a 5lb tub, so you get plenty. The stuff tastes pretty damn good too.

Silock
11-25-2009, 07:36 AM

IMO, EAS tastes like shit. I can't stand it.

I much prefer Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey. It's about the same price, but tastes a lot better, IMO. Plus, it's got higher amounts of BCAAs and has glutamine in it.

Besides those things, though, you're right that there's not much difference. As long as it's got whey in it and not other stuff like soy proteins, you should be good to go.

Right now, I'm really digging the ON Whey Extreme Milk Chocolate. So freaking tasty.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-25-2009, 08:01 AM
They have a cheap whey protein at Wal-Mart called body fortress. I use that everyday. It is higher in fat and carbs than I would like and I have ordered some Syntrax and Isopure to try that have no carbs in them. I am not 'fat'.... but I want to have a six pack again..... no need taking in extra calories right now. I have been working out at the gym 10 times a week for three months, and have seen very little improvement at the waist line. So, I am changing things up, trying to get leaner.

But, there is a before workout drink called Shotgun, and a post workout drink called Synthesize. They both have 20g of protein in them, so taking just that before and after is 40 extra grams of protein.

I just started on the Shotgun and Synthesize this week. But, when I woke up yesterday and today, I can tell I am taking it to another level. I have hit the gym steady and heavy for the last three months and I woke up this morning and felt like yesterday was my first day back.

As a side note, you can buy bulk protein from ebay that has no flavor, and you can put it in whatever you want. It is even cheaper. I am probably going to do that at some point, just to give myself more options.

CHENZ A!
11-25-2009, 08:16 AM
EAS Myoplex
Posted via Mobile Device

El Jefe
11-25-2009, 08:20 AM
PM Big_Daddy he knows everything about that stuff.

RockChalk
11-25-2009, 08:49 AM
I just started on the Shotgun and Synthesize this week. But, when I woke up yesterday and today, I can tell I am taking it to another level. I have hit the gym steady and heavy for the last three months and I woke up this morning and felt like yesterday was my first day back.

Shotgun has the best ingredients bar none as far as pre-workout drinks go. The best part is that you can always just stick with one serving, whereas with most pre-workout drinks, the reaction tends to wear off, which forces you to double and triple your servings.

I just recently switched to Dark Rage though. You get a better workout on it than Shotgun, but it's not very easy on the stomach. I recommend sticking with Shotgun.

stlchiefs
11-25-2009, 08:59 AM
EAS from Sams. I have no problem with the taste, actually their chocolate is one of my favorite wheys.

DumbHillbillies
11-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Muscle milk ---GNC

SenselessChiefsFan
11-25-2009, 09:13 AM
Shotgun has the best ingredients bar none as far as pre-workout drinks go. The best part is that you can always just stick with one serving, whereas with most pre-workout drinks, the reaction tends to wear off, which forces you to double and triple your servings.

I just recently switched to Dark Rage though. You get a better workout on it than Shotgun, but it's not very easy on the stomach. I recommend sticking with Shotgun.

I figure I am going to stick with this until March, take a month off from supplements and then do the muscletech two month stack. I want to be ripped come May.

Otter
11-25-2009, 09:36 AM
I get pretty much everything of this variety from Vitacost. Last one I bought was this stuff:

http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Protein-Ultra-24-Vanilla

I add a heaping tablespoon to milk, blueberry and assorted other fruits and some liquid vitamins and blend with milk in the morning. Probably don't need the protein overall but it really helps keep hunger down until lunch.

Silock
11-26-2009, 03:20 PM
I have been working out at the gym 10 times a week for three months, and have seen very little improvement at the waist line. So, I am changing things up, trying to get leaner.

Abs are made in the kitchen, dude.

Silock
11-26-2009, 03:23 PM
Shotgun has the best ingredients bar none as far as pre-workout drinks go.

This is true, but I find it's much cheaper to just buy the ingredients separately in bulk and then make your own.

BWillie
11-26-2009, 03:48 PM
I figure I am going to stick with this until March, take a month off from supplements and then do the muscletech two month stack. I want to be ripped come May.

Yeah I always shake my head when I see the 350 lbs new years crowd being told by personal trainers to do side bends and ab crunches. It ain't gonna matter until you lose about 150 lbs.

Kyle DeLexus
11-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Yeah I always shake my head when I see the 350 lbs new years crowd being told by personal trainers to do side bends and ab crunches. It ain't gonna matter until you lose about 150 lbs.

Always good to strengthen the core, but you are right. Everyone thinks that doing situps and such will get them a six pack when they have 50lbs of fat covering them.

djrcmay
11-26-2009, 05:05 PM
steak!

SenselessChiefsFan
11-26-2009, 06:43 PM
Abs are made in the kitchen, dude.

Assuming you mean eating right, which I am doing.....

88TG88
11-26-2009, 08:27 PM
muscle milk

I mostly get vanilla. Strawberry sucks, but chocolate is pretty good.

Halfcan
11-26-2009, 08:31 PM
Optimum Nutrition or ON whey protein is the best and its cheap too. . and it taste good. . http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Instantized-2-07-Pound/dp/B000GIQSVG

and trust me im huge. . i bench press girls in bikinis regularly at the beach. .

bench press girls huh-impressive-lol

Silock
11-26-2009, 09:09 PM
Assuming you mean eating right, which I am doing.....

Yes, but really I mean this:

You want your six pack back? The solution isn't working out a lot. I mean, yeah, it'll help, but body fat loss is 90% diet and 10% exercise. It's far easier to cut calories enough to lose 2 lbs of fat per week than it is try and work off the extra.

You could do 3 workouts per week (full body weight training circuits, followed by 25 minutes of HIIT... total of 1 hour in the gym per session), eat 1200-1500 cals per day and get your six pack back by New Year's if you started tomorrow (assuming you have 10 lbs of body fat to lose).

Of course, eating right is important, but eating LESS is even more important.

Skip Towne
11-26-2009, 09:14 PM
Optimum Nutrition or ON whey protein is the best and its cheap too. . and it taste good. . http://www.amazon.com/Optimum-Nutrition-Standard-Instantized-2-07-Pound/dp/B000GIQSVG

and trust me im huge. . i bench press girls in bikinis regularly at the beach. .

Pussy, I curl them.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-27-2009, 08:32 AM

You want your six pack back? The solution isn't working out a lot. I mean, yeah, it'll help, but body fat loss is 90% diet and 10% exercise. It's far easier to cut calories enough to lose 2 lbs of fat per week than it is try and work off the extra.

You could do 3 workouts per week (full body weight training circuits, followed by 25 minutes of HIIT... total of 1 hour in the gym per session), eat 1200-1500 cals per day and get your six pack back by New Year's if you started tomorrow (assuming you have 10 lbs of body fat to lose).

I want to get bigger, and get lean, so I am doing it in two steps. Right now, I am focused on building muscle. I am making sure I have enough to fuel my workouts as well as rebuild the muscle. But, I am also trying to make sure, I don't take in a ton of extra calories that will add to my bodyfat.

In March, I plan to cut my calorie intake to get my six pack by summer.

Silock
11-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Ah, that sounds a bit different than the way it was previously presented. Good luck, man. Although, I think you might like the results better if you did it the other way around. When you get really low BF, your muscles look better, bigger and more defined, so you may find that you don't want to get as big as you think you do. So, you could cut way down and then do a clean bulk to where you're satisfied. Just an idea. Do whatever you think is best :)

RedThat
11-27-2009, 08:45 AM
I want to get bigger, and get lean, so I am doing it in two steps. Right now, I am focused on building muscle. I am making sure I have enough to fuel my workouts as well as rebuild the muscle. But, I am also trying to make sure, I don't take in a ton of extra calories that will add to my bodyfat.

In March, I plan to cut my calorie intake to get my six pack by summer.

yup. I hear ya. Thats where you gotta be really careful.

Is this your first time on a workout plan? It sounds like you're gonna go through phases of bulking and cutting.

Whats your bodytype?

SenselessChiefsFan
11-27-2009, 09:14 AM
Ah, that sounds a bit different than the way it was previously presented. Good luck, man. Although, I think you might like the results better if you did it the other way around. When you get really low BF, your muscles look better, bigger and more defined, so you may find that you don't want to get as big as you think you do. So, you could cut way down and then do a clean bulk to where you're satisfied. Just an idea. Do whatever you think is best :)

Thanks for the advice.... still experimenting... having a 35 year old metabolism sucks. When I worked out in my early 20's, I could eat whatever I wanted and work out and I was as lean as I wanted.

Now, I'm counting calories.

I figure, since it is winter and I am not running around with my shirt off, now is the best time to bulk up.

Plus, I want to bench 315. I want to go three plates on each side and crank one out. Just a personal goal.

Silock
11-27-2009, 09:20 AM
The good news is that if you get as active as you were in your 20s with as much muscle mass, your metabolism will be exactly the same as it was.

I run around with my shirt off in the winter and the summer. Fuck stereotypes!!!!

Crashride
11-27-2009, 09:21 AM

This man knows his shit.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-27-2009, 09:29 AM
yup. I hear ya. Thats where you gotta be really careful.

Is this your first time on a workout plan? It sounds like you're gonna go through phases of bulking and cutting.

Whats your bodytype?

It is my first time in a long time. I am not trying to get huge. I do want to bench 315. But, I don't want to go any heavier than that.

Body type...ectomorph.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-27-2009, 09:32 AM
The good news is that if you get as active as you were in your 20s with as much muscle mass, your metabolism will be exactly the same as it was.

I run around with my shirt off in the winter and the summer. **** stereotypes!!!!

Maybe next winter, I will be running around without my shirt. (cue optimism here).

Fritz88
11-27-2009, 09:46 AM
human fetus mixed with zebra semen.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-27-2009, 10:30 AM
human fetus mixed with zebra semen.

Tried it... couldn't get past the taste.

RedThat
11-27-2009, 10:34 AM
It is my first time in a long time. I am not trying to get huge. I do want to bench 315. But, I don't want to go any heavier than that.

Body type...ectomorph.

Cool.

so you're not trying to get huge, but you still want to attain some mass, right?

You should have no troubles getting lean because of your bodytype, on other hand, putting on muscle will be a challenge for you.

But if I were you, I'd focus on lifting heavy. Go heavy all the way, and incorporate compound movements into your program. I would be doing exercises like bench presses, deadlifts, squats, clean and jerks, chins.

And keep that cardio to a bare minimum. You don't want to increase your metabolism further since it is already jacked as it is because of your bodytype. Yeah the focus should be on gaining muscle mass for now. Best thing is to stick to the basics and include plenty of power lifts in your program.

wildcat09
11-27-2009, 11:23 AM
EAS......low cal and it tastes good. Get the Vanilla and mix it will frozen blueberries......end of story.

Kyle DeLexus
11-27-2009, 11:28 AM
EAS......low cal and it tastes good. Get the Vanilla and mix it will frozen blueberries......end of story.

I've always wondered this, in your sig is that for GCCC?

wildcat09
11-27-2009, 11:30 AM
I've always wondered this, in your sig is that for GCCC?

yes sir......I am a former Broncbuster

penguinz
11-27-2009, 11:32 AM
The crap at Costco sucks. Check out Syntrax Matrix. http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/syn/matrix.html

Mixes without clumps by just using a spoon.

Kyle DeLexus
11-27-2009, 11:47 AM
yes sir......I am a former Broncbuster

Nice. I'm a former Buster myself and currently at KU.

SPATCH
11-27-2009, 11:58 AM
I use SuperPump as a pre-workout supplement. It tastes great and you can work out forever on that stuff.

highly recommend it

Hammock Parties
11-27-2009, 01:36 PM
Jay Robb.

BWillie
11-27-2009, 02:42 PM
Cool.

so you're not trying to get huge, but you still want to attain some mass, right?

You should have no troubles getting lean because of your bodytype, on other hand, putting on muscle will be a challenge for you.

But if I were you, I'd focus on lifting heavy. Go heavy all the way, and incorporate compound movements into your program. I would be doing exercises like bench presses, deadlifts, squats, clean and jerks, chins.

And keep that cardio to a bare minimum. You don't want to increase your metabolism further since it is already jacked as it is because of your bodytype. Yeah the focus should be on gaining muscle mass for now. Best thing is to stick to the basics and include plenty of power lifts in your program.

That is what I have to do. But I've found working out to failure every time I lift is a terrible idea. I'm an EXTREME ECTOMORPH though. Alot of guys don't have to lift as heavy as I do and can do split routines with sucess. They can just mess around w/ isolation exercises and they'll still gain muscle. I used to weigh 115 lbs at 19 years old, now I'm about 190 and I've just been maintaining for the last three years off of 4000-5000 calories a day. One of these days I'm going to cut up and get my BF to about 6% but man I hate being weak.

If there are any extreme ectomorphs reading this, try the Bill Star 5x5 workout or HST. It dumps the classic splits you'll see in muscle mags, and uses the progressive load theory while focusing on compound exercises. Both of those routines are by far superior to any split programs I've ever used.

googlegoogle
11-27-2009, 04:35 PM
those P90x youtube vids prove lifting to failure is not necessary.

Silock
11-27-2009, 09:11 PM
And keep that cardio to a bare minimum. You don't want to increase your metabolism further since it is already jacked as it is because of your bodytype.

I respectfully disagree with this. Cardio is great for building muscle, especially HIIT. It increases blood delivery all over the body and to the muscles, and helps in building muscle. If you're doing 20-25 minutes of HIIT, it's hardly enough to inhibit muscle growth. Now, if you were training for a marathon, I'd totally agree. But half an hour a day is going to help way more than it will hurt.

Silock
11-27-2009, 09:14 PM
One of these days I'm going to cut up and get my BF to about 6% but man I hate being weak.

You won't lose as much as you think you will. I'm in the process of cutting 10 lbs of muscle, so I'm eating 1200 cals per day, going into each workout in a fasted state and not eating for at least 2 hours after I finish my workout. I still lift 90% of what I was lifting before. I can still hit the max numbers, I just can't maintain them as long as I used to.

If there are any extreme ectomorphs reading this, try the Bill Star 5x5 workout or HST. It dumps the classic splits you'll see in muscle mags, and uses the progressive load theory while focusing on compound exercises. Both of those routines are by far superior to any split programs I've ever used.

Yeah, the 5x5 is the shit. I used a modified version of the 5x5 to pack on the muscle and it really works wonders for those of us that have trouble putting on mass.

Silock
11-27-2009, 09:14 PM
those P90x youtube vids prove lifting to failure is not necessary.

Nobody on the P90X is benching 315, either.

wildcat09
11-27-2009, 09:29 PM
Nobody on the P90X is benching 315, either.

I did P90X and I bench over 315

wildcat09
11-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Nice. I'm a former Buster myself and currently at KU.

sweet.....I played football there 98-99. Yeah I am old.

Kyle DeLexus
11-27-2009, 09:39 PM
sweet.....I played football there 98-99. Yeah I am old.

Where you there when Tyson Thompson was? He might have been the two years after that. I was in Junior High at that time and was at every game for years. Got recruited, but my knee was pretty much shot and I was too small to play on the O-Line and too damn slow to do anything else :)

Silock
11-27-2009, 09:59 PM
I did P90X and I bench over 315

Okay, let me rephrase:

People who have only and are only doing P90X aren't benching 315. Just doing P90X isn't going to increase your bench to 315 levels. Now, if you were already there, it's not going to hurt, but 315 is a lot. More than most people realize.

wildcat09
11-27-2009, 10:30 PM
Okay, let me rephrase:

People who have only and are only doing P90X aren't benching 315. Just doing P90X isn't going to increase your bench to 315 levels. Now, if you were already there, it's not going to hurt, but 315 is a lot. More than most people realize.

This is true. I lifted as a college football player and got to those levels. I have also completed the 90 days of P90X and it was no joke. It greatly increase the strength of my entire body.

Silock
11-27-2009, 10:33 PM
This is true. I lifted as a college football player and got to those levels. I have also completed the 90 days of P90X and it was no joke. It greatly increase the strength of my entire body.

Yeah, I'm not saying it's not beneficial or anything. It is. OP's stated goal is to get to 315 bench. P90X isn't that kind of program, as I'm sure you know.

I was really responding to googoo. There's nothing wrong with training to failure (although I wouldn't do it more than 1 time every two weeks or so) when trying to significantly increase your strength.

wildcat09
11-27-2009, 10:34 PM
Where you there when Tyson Thompson was? He might have been the two years after that. I was in Junior High at that time and was at every game for years. Got recruited, but my knee was pretty much shot and I was too small to play on the O-Line and too damn slow to do anything else :)

No that was after me. We had Adam Tate and Derrick Wright by Freshman year and Ben Gay (Cleveland Browns and Indianapolis Colts) my Sophmore year. I played WR and transferred to Baker University after GCCC. GCCC was some kickass football. Rudy Johnson was at Butler when I was at Garden City. That guy cost me 2 National Championships.

wildcat09
11-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Yeah, I'm not saying it's not beneficial or anything. It is. OP's stated goal is to get to 315 bench. P90X isn't that kind of program, as I'm sure you know.

I was really responding to googoo. There's nothing wrong with training to failure (although I wouldn't do it more than 1 time every two weeks or so) when trying to significantly increase your strength.

All very true. I should have went back and read the other posts.........please continue

Easy 6
11-27-2009, 10:52 PM

I've been wanting P90X, the promos totally sell it.

All of these workout threads are making me feel distinctly fat & lazy, i really need to step it back up... :shake:

I used to be 'Scotty the Body', now its more like 'Slob McKnob'. Havent been in TRULY great shape since 02, its so easy to become a fatass at 38... :shake:

*smug sniff*... back in my Army days, in 1994 at 5'9 180, i put up 275 1 clean time, no help.

Now, i dont even want to know what it is... havent hit weights hard since 97 or so, been in good shape since then, but in much more of a jogging, sprinting, body weight excercise kinda way... raised pushups, dips, pullups etc.

All of the good workout talk here has me inspired though *flex*, i feel a 'Biff McBuff' coming on here...

SenselessChiefsFan
11-28-2009, 08:33 AM

All of these workout threads are making me feel distinctly fat & lazy, i really need to step it back up... :shake:

I used to be 'Scotty the Body', now its more like 'Slob McKnob'. Havent been in TRULY great shape since 02, its so easy to become a fatass at 38... :shake:

*smug sniff*... back in my Army days, in 1994 at 5'9 180, i put up 275 1 clean time, no help.

Now, i dont even want to know what it is... havent hit weights hard since 97 or so, been in good shape since then, but in much more of a jogging, sprinting, body weight excercise kinda way... raised pushups, dips, pullups etc.

All of the good workout talk here has me inspired though *flex*, i feel a 'Biff McBuff' coming on here...

Gotta do it. And, make sure that everyone knows that you are doing it. It keeps you accountable. I enjoy going to the gym. It gives me something to get me out of bed in the morning and something to look forward to at night.

I also take my daughter, so it gives me extra motivation on the mornings that I am sore, or tired.

In just three months, I have made a ton of progress.

I try to read a fitness or diet article once a day, and ask advice from everyone.

I may or may not use it, but it gives me new ideas to try.

I also try to work in different excercises every week. That way, it doesn't get too boring.

wildcat09
11-28-2009, 09:24 AM

I would highly recommend P90X. If you stick to the 90 day plan, you will not be sorry. You will be in better shape than you ever have been. PM me if you have any questions on it.

Rausch
11-28-2009, 09:44 AM
Tang?...

RedThat
11-28-2009, 10:06 AM
I would highly recommend P90X. If you stick to the 90 day plan, you will not be sorry. You will be in better shape than you ever have been. PM me if you have any questions on it.

Ive heard a lot of good things about it which has made me curious. But, I've always been one of those who prefers to stick to the basics. Im down on pure basics and fundamentals. Like to keep things simple. I think one can get ripped just from sticking to the basics and keeping things simple.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-28-2009, 10:20 AM
Ive heard a lot of good things about it which has made me curious. But, I've always been one of those who prefers to stick to the basics. Im down on pure basics and fundamentals. Like to keep things simple. I think one can get ripped just from sticking to the basics and keeping things simple.

If all you want to do is get ripped, I think p90x is perfect. I know two people who have done it, and got ripped.

The thing for me is the mental switch of going to the gym. When I am at the gym, I am at the gym. No clients. If my wife or my oldest daughter comes, we are there to work out. No distractions. No, stopping to fix this, or do that..... it is all about the workout.

To me, it is an escape. I don't drink. I don't party. I don't watch a ton of movies or TV. My life has been about work, my church and my family. It is nice to have a time for just me. Just me finding out what I can do. Finding out how far I can push myself.

I have told myself that once I hit 315 on the bench, and I get as cut up as I want, I will cut back to a trip to the gym three times a week.

Honestly, as much as I enjoy it, I don't know if I can do that.

Silock
11-28-2009, 12:15 PM

Basics also work if you know what you're doing. P90X was designed for people that don't have a fucking clue where to start. EDIT: That doesn't mean that others can't benefit; it was just meant to be as foolproof as possible.

Get ripped - eat less, eat quality, weight train 3 times per week, work in 30 minutes of HIIT cardio after.

Not a lot to it, really. Cals in vs. cals out.

RedThat
11-28-2009, 12:25 PM
If all you want to do is get ripped, I think p90x is perfect. I know two people who have done it, and got ripped.

The thing for me is the mental switch of going to the gym. When I am at the gym, I am at the gym. No clients. If my wife or my oldest daughter comes, we are there to work out. No distractions. No, stopping to fix this, or do that..... it is all about the workout.

To me, it is an escape. I don't drink. I don't party. I don't watch a ton of movies or TV. My life has been about work, my church and my family. It is nice to have a time for just me. Just me finding out what I can do. Finding out how far I can push myself.

I have told myself that once I hit 315 on the bench, and I get as cut up as I want, I will cut back to a trip to the gym three times a week.

Honestly, as much as I enjoy it, I don't know if I can do that.

It sounds like you have the attitude and lifestyle to compliment health and fitness. Right on man. Good staff. And it is good to hear that you enjoy it, and since you enjoy it, it'll be a lot easier for you to be consistent at it. And thats what its all about imo.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Good staff.

Thats what she said.

Oh Snap
11-28-2009, 01:21 PM
wheyabolic extreme 60... Its good, and Ive seen great results

Also make sure you are taking a multi vitamin...that is probably the most important supplement that you absolutely need to be taking.

I do a sport vitapack from GNC. Bodybuilding.com also has some real good deals on supplements.

RedThat
11-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Thats what she said.

Damn typos lol

RedThat
11-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Basics also work if you know what you're doing. P90X was designed for people that don't have a ****ing clue where to start. EDIT: That doesn't mean that others can't benefit; it was just meant to be as foolproof as possible.

Get ripped - eat less, eat quality, weight train 3 times per week, work in 30 minutes of HIIT cardio after.

Yup. Losing weight is really that simple. You just have to burn more calories than you consume. however, for me its always been a struggle because of my bodytype. Im an endomorph. Putting on muscle has never been an issue with me, but, shedding those pounds and keeping the weight off, oh man that is so tough. I have to constantly keep up with my training, dieting and cardio. The moment I slack and take time off the gym, and don't eat right, I lose muscle and poof, the fat goes right back on my body in an instant! But when I train and eat well, its all gravy. I put on the muscle easily and the more muscle I put on the better. Because the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest according to your RMR. That is one of the advantages I have.

Its just a matter of being consistent. One of my biggest struggles. I know this is going to sound bad, but I don't enjoy working out and dieting, it's very hard work...lol..but I appreciate it for what it is and does. Keeps you healthy and makes look and feel good. Can't go wrong.

But yeah basics have always worked for me. I like to provide a little bit of balance in my training where I incorporate exercises that involve both compounded and isolated movements. My reps range anywhere from 6-8 to 12-20. I usually do power lifts such as squats, bench presses, deadlifts. I've found several advantages in performing exercises that involve compound movements. For one, they maintain your strength by stimulating those white-twitched muscle fibres, secondly, they exercise several muscle groups throughout the body so you have no worries there and will stimulate each muscle group in the body more than once. Plus, they give you that hard, dense look, which I love.

And training for endurance, doing isolated movements with a rep range from about 8-12, and the lighter I go, the more I increase my reps from anywhere to 12-20. This type of training gives that shape and sculpts the muscles real well and stimulates those red-twitched muscle fibres. This training is challenging I found, its just the resting between the sets. gotta keep them minimal. Its easy to lose track of rest between sets...lol sometimes we get caught up in bad habits..i.e, talking at the gym is one.

It all depends on what one wants. Im all about balance. I enjoy the big-lean look. Im all about symmetry and proportion. Another advantage about being an endomorph is, I can diet to get ripped, and on the other hand, I can still put on the size, maintain my strength since my bodytype compliments me in that regard. But just the leaning out part is where I really gotta watch those calories, and do sufficient amount of cardio to keep my metabolism cranked.
My metabolism isn't as fast as an ectomorph, thats why I gotta constantly diet and do more cardio to lose weight. its harder for me to lose weight since my metabolism isn't as fast as opposed to other bodytypes.

If my protein intake is up, its very hard for me to lose muscle. But just from dieting, sticking with this type of training, and being consistent maintains that big-lean look for me.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Yup. Losing weight is really that simple. You just have to burn more calories than you consume. however, for me its always been a struggle because of my bodytype. Im an endomorph. Putting on muscle has never been an issue with me, but, shedding those pounds and keeping the weight off, oh man that is so tough. I have to constantly keep up with my training, dieting and cardio. The moment I slack and take time off the gym, and don't eat right, I lose muscle and poof, the fat goes right back on my body in an instant! But when I train and eat well, its all gravy. I put on the muscle easily and the more muscle I put on the better. Because the more muscle you have, the more calories you burn at rest according to your RMR. That is one of the advantages I have.

Its just a matter of being consistent. One of my biggest struggles. I know this is going to sound bad, but I don't enjoy working out and dieting, it's very hard work...lol..but I appreciate it for what it is and does. Keeps you healthy and makes look and feel good. Can't go wrong.

But yeah basics have always worked for me. I like to provide a little bit of balance in my training where I incorporate exercises that involve both compounded and isolated movements. My reps range anywhere from 6-8 to 12-20. I usually do power lifts such as squats, bench presses, deadlifts. I've found several advantages in performing exercises that involve compound movements. For one, they maintain your strength by stimulating those white-twitched muscle fibres, secondly, they exercise several muscle groups throughout the body so you have no worries there and will stimulate each muscle group in the body more than once. Plus, they give you that hard, dense look, which I love.

And training for endurance, doing isolated movements with a rep range from about 8-12, and the lighter I go, the more I increase my reps from anywhere to 12-20. This type of training gives that shape and sculpts the muscles real well and stimulates those red-twitched muscle fibres. This training is challenging I found, its just the resting between the sets. gotta keep them minimal. Its easy to lose track of rest between sets...lol sometimes we get caught up in bad habits..i.e, talking at the gym is one.

It all depends on what one wants. Im all about balance. I enjoy the big-lean look. Im all about symmetry and proportion. Another advantage about being an endomorph is, I can diet to get ripped, and on the other hand, I can still put on the size, maintain my strength since my bodytype compliments me in that regard. But just the leaning out part is where I really gotta watch those calories, and do sufficient amount of cardio to keep my metabolism cranked.
My metabolism isn't as fast as an ectomorph, thats why I gotta constantly diet and do more cardio to lose weight. its harder for me to lose weight since my metabolism isn't as fast as opposed to other bodytypes.

If my protein intake is up, its very hard for me to lose muscle. But just from dieting, sticking with this type of training, and being consistent maintains that big-lean look for me.

If you go to a gym, make friends. I try to get to know as many people there as possible..... without being the annoying guy that wants to talk to you while you are maxing out....

The more friends you have, the more it becomes a social thing, and less of a work thing.

Also, when you don't feel like it.... just tell yourself that you can go in and do half of what you normally do.... a light day. Then, when you get in, get warmed up.... most of the time, you will probably do your normal work.

Please don't take this as me thinking I know it all. I don't. But, these are things that help me on the days that I think I have more important things to do... or when I feel run down.

RedThat
11-28-2009, 03:11 PM
If you go to a gym, make friends. I try to get to know as many people there as possible..... without being the annoying guy that wants to talk to you while you are maxing out....

The more friends you have, the more it becomes a social thing, and less of a work thing.

Also, when you don't feel like it.... just tell yourself that you can go in and do half of what you normally do.... a light day. Then, when you get in, get warmed up.... most of the time, you will probably do your normal work.

Please don't take this as me thinking I know it all. I don't. But, these are things that help me on the days that I think I have more important things to do... or when I feel run down.

No. no..no worries man. Appreciate the tip provided.

Thats a good mind trick. Doing little is better than doing nothing at all.

Silock
11-28-2009, 03:52 PM

Fuck I hate that. I hate talking to people at the gym. Leave me the fuck alone. I'm there to work. I don't want to talk, and you're messing up my rhythm.

I talk afterward, though.

Bowser
11-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Basics also work if you know what you're doing. P90X was designed for people that don't have a fucking clue where to start. EDIT: That doesn't mean that others can't benefit; it was just meant to be as foolproof as possible.

I know you edited, and I'm not trying to bust your balls, but I just wanted to throw out there that P90X was a huge part in me losing nearly 60 lbs (so far). I had been in and out of the gym for the better part of 20 years and was getting tired of the same old (modified) routines. P90X was just what I needed.

RedThat
11-28-2009, 05:21 PM
**** I hate that. I hate talking to people at the gym. Leave me the **** alone. I'm there to work. I don't want to talk, and you're messing up my rhythm.

It's a bad habit thats sooo easy to fall into. You're having a conversion next thing you know time goes by and then the muscles get cold.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-28-2009, 07:23 PM
**** I hate that. I hate talking to people at the gym. Leave me the **** alone. I'm there to work. I don't want to talk, and you're messing up my rhythm.

I don't like to talk while working... but in between sets, and before and after my workout, I like to talk.

I always try to make sure I don't bother anyone else. You can usually tell when a guy doesn't want to be bothered.

SenselessChiefsFan
11-28-2009, 07:24 PM
I know you edited, and I'm not trying to bust your balls, but I just wanted to throw out there that P90X was a huge part in me losing nearly 60 lbs (so far). I had been in and out of the gym for the better part of 20 years and was getting tired of the same old (modified) routines. P90X was just what I needed.

That is a huge thing to consider.... everyone is different. Every body is different. You have to find a routine that works for you mentally and physically. The real key is to keep working and searching for something that will work.

Silock
11-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Routine isn't nearly as important as diet for losing weight.