PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Posole - Thanks RJ!

runnercyclist
12-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I made posole for the first time today after hearing about it for the first time a couple of day ago in RJ's smoked turkey thread. It is awesome. I highly recommend squirting the juice of 1/2 a lemon into the indivdual serving bowl along with some diced white onions. Top with shreaded cabbage and chopped cilantro. Good God this is good!
Here is the recipe I used.

Posole

• 3 1/2 lbs. pork shoulder
• 1 onion stuck with 2 cloves
• 6 cloves garlic, peeled
• 10 peppercorns
• 1 teaspoon whole cumin seed
• 1/4 tsp oregano

• 1 onion, chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 tablespoon oil
• 1 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 teaspoon ground cumin
• 1 teaspoon cloves
• 1 teaspoon cayenne
• 8 cups canned white hominy, drained and rinsed
• 10 cups pork broth from cooking pork shoulder
• 2 cup canned chopped green chilies

Place the meat in a large saucepan and just cover with lightly salted water. Add the clove studded onion, 2 cloves peeled garlic, peppercorns, cumin seed, and oregano. Bring to a boil over medium heat, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes. Remove meat and broth, reserving both.
Sauté the chopped onion and garlic in oil until translucent. Add the remaining spices, stir for a minute. Cut the reserved pork into 1 inch cubes and add to the pan. Stir in the canned hominy, pork broth, and green chilies. I let this simmer for about 4 hours on very low heat.

RJ
12-24-2009, 03:47 PM
Sounds great, runnercyclist. I made 10 quarts of the stuff last night, the one with the pigs feet. My father in law will eat about 8 of those quarts between Christmas and New Years. Hey, it's the holidays, diets be damned.

RJ
12-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Your version sounds very similar to one I order in a local restaurant. Oddly, I usually have it for a Sunday breakfast, they serve it with lime and cilantro and a tamale on top. Good stuff.

runnercyclist
12-24-2009, 03:54 PM
Your version sounds very similar to one I order in a local restaurant. Oddly, I usually have it for a Sunday breakfast, they serve it with lime and cilantro and a tamale on top. Good stuff.

Where on earth do you live where you can get this served to you for sunday breakfast?

Are you/your family of spanish descent?

Got any other hidden gem recipes I can plagerize?

Merry Christmas and thanks again!

BigOlChiefsfan
12-24-2009, 05:53 PM
http://santafeschoolofcooking.com/Recipes/Green_Chile_Pork_Stew/index.html

runnercyclist
12-24-2009, 07:17 PM
http://santafeschoolofcooking.com/Recipes/Green_Chile_Pork_Stew/index.html

This is basically what I made but substitutes potatoes for the hominy.

kcxiv
12-24-2009, 08:00 PM
Moms made Menudo this year instead. Her and my sisters are making some Tamales tonight though.