PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Blaine Gabbert: Go on record

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Brock
04-25-2011, 12:03 PM
He could slide, but not out of the first round. He doesn't have the wow factor, his TDs were down, etc. But he's still prototypical and somebody's going to get a bargain if he does slide.

Rain Man
04-25-2011, 12:04 PM
If he's there at our pick, you sprint to the podium and knock everyone down on the way.

Yeah, I'd do that.

Titty Meat
04-25-2011, 12:07 PM
Where do you think he'll go?

I think theres no way he falls from the top 10 given the whole situation. I think the Titans end up drafting him.

I also don't think he'll be that good but let me say this if he falls to the Chiefs i'd be willing to draft him. Fuck I'd rather draft Christian Ponder than anything else that will be around when the Chiefs pick.

Hammock Parties
08-04-2011, 07:26 PM
And so it begins.

PriscoCBS Pete Prisco
by JasonLaCanfora
Garrard off on cart looks like limping

BigMeatballDave
08-04-2011, 07:32 PM
I wonder how many Tiger fans will become bandwagon Jag fans?

KcMizzou
08-04-2011, 07:38 PM
I wonder how many Tiger fans will become bandwagon Jag fans?I'm a Chiefs fan period. But I'll root for Gabbert to succeed... (of course). What's wrong with that?

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2011, 01:35 PM
I'm a Chiefs fan period. But I'll root for Gabbert to succeed... (of course). What's wrong with that?

Because it interferes with the worship of Spat Shattle, that's what.

kepp
08-05-2011, 01:43 PM
And so it begins.

PriscoCBS Pete Prisco
by JasonLaCanfora
Garrard off on cart looks like limping

Ugh...I really don't want Gabbert thrown in right away. He really needs 1 to 2 years of grooming first.

Reerun_KC
08-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Ugh...I really don't want Gabbert thrown in right away. He really needs 1 to 2 years of grooming first.

WTF is he a dog?

Throw his ass in there and play...

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2011, 01:47 PM

If he goes in, he goes in. But ideally, he should do at least one season of clip board duty.

Ace Gunner
08-05-2011, 01:48 PM
He's got a lot of talent for this league. Gabbert should do well in the NFL. I used to make fun of him when he and Daniels posed for the nike uni's - that ad was girly. But Gabbert wound up improving.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2011, 01:54 PM
He's got a lot of talent for this league. Gabbert should do well in the NFL. I used to make fun of him when he and Daniels posed for the nike uni's - that ad was girly. But Gabbert wound up improving.

I hope we never draft a young, talented, first or second round QB. The very foundation of Arrowhead would probably disintegrate in to demonic locusts as Pioli weeps tears of blood at the ghastly thought of losing another DB or TE prospect.

Hammock Parties
08-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Gabbert a 'half-step slower' in scrimmage

Jaguars OC Dirk Koetter noted that rookie QB Blaine Gabbert was "a half-step slower" in Saturday's scrimmage than he's been in practices.

It's no surprise that Gabbert looks much better without defensive pressure. He completed just 12-of-27 passes for 76 yards and a TD in the scrimmage compared to Luke McCown's 13-of-18 for 136 yards and a TD. We don't want to overstate the importance of a scrimmage, but Gabbert has to show major improvement if he's going to give David Garrard a run for the starting job.

King_Chief_Fan
08-07-2011, 04:25 PM
still don't want the guy

Hammock Parties
08-11-2011, 06:28 PM
5/10 44 yards

Mr. Laz
08-11-2011, 07:12 PM
Hoyer > Gabbert

War_Paint
08-11-2011, 10:05 PM
While I'm a bit tardy on a response here, I have to say Gabbert is heads and tails above his predecessors, as well as some of the other over-rated QBs (I won't mention any names,, they'll sort themselves out in the next yr or so, when everyone starts seeing them fail.
True, Gabbert isn't a true pocket passer, but there is no reason for him not to be able to learn how, given the right coaching. I also disagree with you lamers, who think he needs to start from day 1, and be productive. As any NFL junkie knows, that is extremely rare for that position. Yes, there have been a few that were stars as rookies, but their next year or 3rd year, they started slipping, because they either got big heads, or the wear and tear started to get to them, because they hadn't adapted to the rigors of the NFL.
Gabbert could be the next Michael Vick (2009/10 version), if he puts his heart and soul into sitting/studying the game, during his first year. As for being KC's QB, I doubt that will happen, given the contract that Cassel is still under. KC will need to play Matt at least 1 more year, to really guage his worth, before they can start to consider replacing him. Personally, I think Matt is ok as a starter, and would be great as a backup, but he's IT, until another veteran QB becomes available, unless Pioli decides to 'ride the bullet' and draft one in 2012 or 2013, to develop under Cassel's mentoring, which I think Matt could do a very good job doing

Sure-Oz
08-11-2011, 10:25 PM
I'd say wait on Tyler Gabbert

DTLB58
08-11-2011, 10:28 PM
I'm betting Garrard just got a lot healthier and will be back at the next practice the Jags hold.
Might already be to late though.

Sure-Oz
08-11-2011, 10:31 PM
9-16 85 yards isnt impressive

Sure-Oz
08-11-2011, 10:32 PM
Hasselbeck called him 'apprehensive'

Reaper16
08-11-2011, 10:37 PM
His first NFL action and it was starting against the Patriots 1st team defense. Yeah, he probably was apprehensive.

Bump
08-11-2011, 10:40 PM

the greatest QBs always start first year ROFL

Spott
08-11-2011, 10:48 PM
9-16 85 yards isnt impressive

Could have been worse. Jacksonville would be wise to not even consider starting him at all this year. Rookie QB's are really behind the 8 ball this year, along with all the other ones that switched teams.

keg in kc
08-11-2011, 10:53 PM
Hasselbeck called him 'apprehensive'And then they were talking about how great Mallett looked. In the second half.

So I'm thinking to myself reverse the two of them and see how they look, Mallett against starters, Gabbert (who wasn't actually bad....) against scrubs.

It's sort of like Tavaris Jackson and Charlie Whitehurst. Heard some talk tonight about Whitehurst's stats (14-20 for 115 yards) as opposed to Jackson's for the 2 series he was in (3-5 for 13 yards, sacked twice). Which is funny, because the reality is that Whitehurst pretty-much looked like shit in the first half, 5-9 for 29 yards. Racked up all kinds of yards after halftime, when both teams were all scrubs.

BossChief
08-11-2011, 11:04 PM
If I were the Jaguars GM/HC, I would sit him until the seasons playoff hopes are over and then start him the rest of the year and never turn back.

Next year, I would make every attempt to bring in a good qb coach to help him grow into the starters role...add a couple weapons and roll with Gabbert for 2012 and trade/cut Garrard.

Gabbert has the tools, but he doesnt have a QB coach that can get his potential to turn to production...money should be no concern whatsoever in that coaching search as the investment will pay long term dividends that far outweigh the initial cost involved.

If they dont intend to surround him with the tools needed to develop into an elite passer, they should have never taken him.

JMO

keg in kc
08-11-2011, 11:07 PM
If you don't believe they have the right QB coach, then way play him this year, and risk burning in habits and tendencies that next year's coach would have to correct?

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-12-2011, 01:12 PM
And in other news:

Ah, the joys of watching a no-name backup like Portis wipe the fucking floor with our 60+ million dollar backup last night, yes.

DJ's left nut
08-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Why the crap is this thread being bumped?

Sure, he got his first game action, but absolutely nobody thought this kid would be a finished product very quickly.

I'd wait until at least year 3 before I start to make meaningful conclusions w/r/t Gabbert. He has a ton of learning and a long long way to go before he's a legitimate NFL QB. Maybe he gets there, maybe he doesn't, but it sure would be nice to have someone with his tools on this roster some day.

-King-
08-12-2011, 01:18 PM
And in other news:

Ah, the joys of watching a no-name backup like Portis wipe the fucking floor with our 60+ million dollar backup last night, yes.

Wut?

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-12-2011, 02:11 PM
Wut?

Portis from Seattle. Back up. Played like a fucking monster. Performed better than our current ARC poster-boy, and probably cost SEA a whole crate of bananas to acquire.

It was sickening-yet beautiful.

MoreLemonPledge
08-12-2011, 02:13 PM
the greatest QBs always start first year ROFL

http://photos.upi.com/slideshow/lbox/32e2f7ec45743d97ea81b1b1596c1fa6/NFL-Packers-Cardinals.jpg

The Franchise
08-12-2011, 02:14 PM
Dude.....you need to let it go man. This whole thing has fucking consumed you.

Bob Dole
08-12-2011, 02:15 PM
I'd wait until at least year 3 before I start to make meaningful conclusions w/r/t Gabbert. He has a ton of learning and a long long way to go before he's a legitimate NFL QB. Maybe he gets there, maybe he doesn't, but it sure would be nice to have someone with his tools on this roster some day.

The Pats' 3rd round pick didn't look like he's going to take 3 years...

(He's still a squirrel, though.)

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-12-2011, 02:17 PM
Dude.....you need to let it go man. This whole thing has fucking consumed you.

Give this talented team a real chance by providing them with a legit fucking QB, and I will be overjoyed beyond fucking measure to "let it go".

MoreLemonPledge
08-12-2011, 02:18 PM
Give this talented team a real chance by providing them with a legit fucking QB, and I will be overjoyed beyond fucking measure to "let it go".

Just curious. What will it take for you to consider Cassel a legit fucking QB?

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-12-2011, 02:24 PM
Just curious. What will it take for you to consider Cassel a legit fucking QB?

Multiple reads, faster, followed by selecting the best possible target to throw to would be a great place to start.

But it's a moot point, as I have absolutely given up on him ever being more than what we have seen so far.

DJ's left nut
08-12-2011, 02:25 PM
The Pats' 3rd round pick didn't look like he's going to take 3 years...

(He's still a squirrel, though.)

Played in a more pro-style system.

And in fairness, he really should've been our 3rd rounder, but what can you do...

MoreLemonPledge
08-12-2011, 02:26 PM
Multiple reads, faster, followed by selecting the best possible target to throw to would be a great place to start.

But it's a moot point, as I have absolutely given up on him ever being more than what we have seen so far.

I was hoping for something more tangible. This seems very subjective.

DJ's left nut
08-12-2011, 02:28 PM

If he can give me a playoff win, a passer rating in the 90s and a 3,500 yd season, he'll have my support. I'd still be looking to upgrade on him (even his most ardent supporters won't call him a true game-changer), but I'll back him as a true NFL starting quarterback that we can win with.

That's not unreasonable; it's a borderline top-10 passer. I think that's pretty damn fair to ask of a guy that's been given the weapons he has.

MoreLemonPledge
08-12-2011, 02:32 PM
If he can give me a playoff win, a passer rating in the 90s and a 3,500 yd season, he'll have my support. I'd still be looking to upgrade on him (even his most ardent supporters won't call him a true game-changer), but I'll back him as a true NFL starting quarterback that we can win with.

That's not unreasonable; it's a borderline top-10 passer. I think that's pretty damn fair to ask of a guy that's been given the weapons he has.

I can absolutely respect that. I just want to hear what it will take (realistically) for the Cassel bashers to admit that he's a good QB. I think a lot of them just do it for the sake of doing it.

keg in kc
08-12-2011, 02:32 PM
The thing with Mallett is that he could come out next week against the same 3rd stringers and castoffs and throw 6 picks.

That's not to say I didn't think it was a positive performance, but let's not get too carried away here. Not yet at least.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-12-2011, 02:41 PM

How the fuck is that subjective? It happens to be his greatest weakness.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-12-2011, 02:42 PM
I can absolutely respect that. I just want to hear what it will take (realistically) for the Cassel bashers to admit that he's a good QB. I think a lot of them just do it for the sake of doing it.

I don't see the talent. It's as simple as that.

MoreLemonPledge
08-12-2011, 02:57 PM
How the fuck is that subjective? It happens to be his greatest weakness.

Numbers. Something more tangible.

RealSNR
08-12-2011, 03:20 PM
Numbers. Something more tangible.Most drafturbators like me, OTW, and Deez have been willing to grant him amnesty from Suckland if he starts winning playoff games.

sedated
08-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Portis from Seattle. Back up. Played like a ****ing monster. Performed better than our current ARC poster-boy, and probably cost SEA a whole crate of bananas to acquire.

It was sickening-yet beautiful.

do you have any other thoughts cross your mind? Or are you like a stock-market ticker with only "cassel sucks" streaming over and over and over?

sedated
08-12-2011, 03:27 PM

I think a lot of them do it because they remember how god awful he was for the majority of last year.

Reaper16
08-12-2011, 03:31 PM
lol, Josh Portis is not better and will not be better than Matt Cassel.

keg in kc
08-12-2011, 03:44 PM
lol, Josh Portis is not better and will not be better than Matt Cassel.What, you mean you're not willing to annoint a guy based on a late 2nd half performance in a preseason game? You cretin!

BossChief
08-12-2011, 03:53 PM
If you don't believe they have the right QB coach, then way play him this year, and risk burning in habits and tendencies that next year's coach would have to correct?

because he needs to SEE the speed of the NFL and make some mistakes that a real QB coach can work on over the course of the off-season.

Rookie quarterbacks are gonna make mistakes early on, no matter what. Its how hard they work to correct those mistakes and build on their strengths that make a player great or not.

He needs to make those mistakes and the team needs to bring in a guy that can identify them and know the course of action it takes to correct them.

keg in kc
08-12-2011, 04:03 PM
because he needs to SEE the speed of the NFL and make some mistakes that a real QB coach can work on over the course of the off-season.

Rookie quarterbacks are gonna make mistakes early on, no matter what. Its how hard they work to correct those mistakes and build on their strengths that make a player great or not.

He needs to make those mistakes and the team needs to bring in a guy that can identify them and know the course of action it takes to correct them.I just have a different philosophy. I've always thought it was more beneficial to wait on all but the most talented, NFL-ready draft picks for at least an entire season (Gabbert is not in that group). Let them learn on the sidelines, in film study and in practice, maybe some game action here and there when the score warrants it. Have them behind somebody who can both perform (you always want to win above all else...) and be a good mentor, and then work them in when they're ready. A recent example would be the Packers and Rodgers. Another would be the Chargers and Rivers.

Along those lines, if I were the Jags, I'd let him study for a couple of years behind Garrard. Which is also how I'd approach things with Stanzi, if the Chiefs think he has a future. And it's how I'd have done things if they had drafted Sanchez instead of Jackson.

Everybody wants to throw the QBs to the wolves for some reason, and I just don't like that. I think it's counter-productive.

Chris Meck
08-12-2011, 04:07 PM
I agree with that. I think you can really ruin a QB by throwing them into the fire too quickly-especially on a bad team. David Carr, Joey Harrington, etc., etc., etc.

BossChief
08-12-2011, 04:24 PM
I think the only way most quarterbacks develop is on the field.....especially when they are inexperienced in a pro set as Gabbert is...but then again, the shortened offseason is probably something I am not taking into account as much as it should be.

Look at recent history, Flacco...Bradford...Ryan...Freeman...McCoy...Sanchez

All guys that were thrown into the fire and proved it was the right decision...and all but Sanchez and Flacco went into absolutely terrible situations.\

It teaches a young leader to deal with adversity and thats arguably one of the most important things for a young player too learn...the sooner the better.

to tell the truth, I was a bit worried that the Jaguars would snatch Nick Sirianni from our staff because if they made him a QB coach, we wouldn't have been able to do anything about it but shake his hand and wave goodbye.

I dont think we will be able to keep him a secret for very much longer without someone snatching him up somewhere....so after this year I almost expect them to ask Muir to retire and for Zorn to move into his job to make way for Sirianni to be our new QB coach.

keg in kc
08-12-2011, 04:37 PM
I think the only way most quarterbacks develop is on the field.....especially when they are inexperienced in a pro set as Gabbert is...but then again, the shortened offseason is probably something I am not taking into account as much as it should be.

Look at recent history, Flacco...Bradford...Ryan...Freeman...McCoy...SanchezI don't think any of those quarterbacks would have been hurt at all by waiting a year, but if you'll recall I said that "I've always thought it was more beneficial to wait on all but the most talented, NFL-ready draft picks". On that list, you've named 2 quarterbacks who were NFL-ready in Bradford and Ryan and a third who was taken in the top-5 in Sanchez (actually the one on the list who I believe may have benefitted most by grooming). Flacco and Freeman would fit into the context of the discussion.

I'm basically of the mindset that top-5 draft picks are the only quarterbacks you play immediately, but even with them I make it an 'earn it in camp' thing. Nobody is handed the job and thrown to the wolves. And actually, with every quarterback, they could conceivably win the job in camp, but they have to show a hell of a lot to do it. Flacco, if I recall (and I may not, but I think he took the job from Boller....) did that. I'm not familiar with Freeman's situation.

So say, Gabbert comes out and just takes the job from Garrard. Makes it a no-brainer. I'm fine with that. But I do not put Gabbert on the field as some kind of learning experience. Everything is about winning games, both now and in the future.

BossChief
08-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Good points, keg.

I do think that if guys like Sanchez and Bradford can come in and play well and show the team they are the new leader, that gives the team a sense of direction and a "rallying point"

I would argue that Gabbert should be just as ready to play as Bradford was...both come from a spread system and Bradford missed most of his final college year to injury.

If I were in charge of Jacksonville, I would let Garrard start the year, but would be willing to get Gabbert on the field as soon as the playoff hopes for the current season are gone.

JMO

keg in kc
08-12-2011, 04:55 PM
I do think that if guys like Sanchez and Bradford can come in and play well and show the team they are the new leader, that gives the team a sense of direction and a "rallying point"Sanchez most assuredly has not done that. He's been carried for two years, the team making the playoffs despite his performance during the season, essentially winning despite him. His postseason games have been better, much better in a couple of cases, but the fact remains that if quarterback play was really a deciding factor for that team, they'd have never made it to the playoffs to begin with. Because he's been that bad in the regular season.

Now I'm biased on this one: my view of Sanchez from the year he was drafted has been that he was not a quarterback who should be starting right away. But I haven't seen anything to convince me to change my mind on that yet. He just happened to land in the kind of situation that I think nearly any QB in the league would envy. And that does point out a unique situation for a rookie quarterback, where they're brought into a team that's so strong in other areas that they're under less pressure to perform. But I don't think that's the Jaguars right now.

Bradford is a completely different story. He had 3 years of experience in college (well, 2 and a couple of games if you want to get technical), versus 1 for Sanchez, and his rookie play actually lifted a bad team, made them better.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-13-2011, 11:23 AM
lol, Josh Portis is not better and will not be better than Matt Cassel.

Ricky Stanzi is, case fucking closed.

MoreLemonPledge
08-13-2011, 11:26 AM
Ricky Stanzi is, case fucking closed.

I love how you're pimping Stanzi now. What exactly did you see in the preseason game that gives you any indication of, well, anything?

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-13-2011, 11:27 AM
do you have any other thoughts cross your mind? Or are you like a stock-market ticker with only "cassel sucks" streaming over and over and over?

Yes, as a matter of fact I do. The new mantra is Stanzi>>>>>>>Cassel.

So fire up a scoob, put on your headphones and dig that groovy sound; you'll be hearing it more than any Boyz II Men song played on a Pizza Hut jukebox.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-13-2011, 11:32 AM
I love how you're pimping Stanzi now. What exactly did you see in the preseason game that gives you any indication of, well, anything?

Toughness, decisiveness, eluding the pass rush, putting the ball where it should be more often than not, and watching the football travel in north-south direction for once.

"Cassel-lite" my fucking ass.

If you or anyone else can't see that Stanzi has benefitted from oh, I don't know, actually PLAYING in fucking college as a starter, honing his skills, and that he was absolutely wiping the fucking turf with Crapple and Palko, then I don't know what to tell you.

MoreLemonPledge
08-13-2011, 11:36 AM
Toughness, decisiveness, eluding the pass rush, putting the ball where it should be more often than not, and watching the football travel in north-south direction for once.

"Cassel-lite" my fucking ass.

If you or anyone else can't see that Stanzi has benefitted from oh, I don't know, actually PLAYING in fucking college as a starter, honing his skills, and that he was absolutely wiping the fucking turf with Crapple and Palko, then I don't know what to tell you.

He went 4-8 and was running for his life then entire game. Nobody could tell shit.

|Zach|
08-13-2011, 11:37 AM
LMAOLMAOLMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-13-2011, 11:38 AM
He went 4-8 and was running for his life then entire game. Nobody could tell shit.

Did you at least see how fast he set up in the pocket and read his routes?

Hello? Anyone else?

MoreLemonPledge
08-13-2011, 11:43 AM
Did you at least see how fast he set up in the pocket and read his routes?

Hello? Anyone else?

By your logic we could probably start 20 third string QBs on this team, since Stanzi probably did no better than any of them. We can surely sign them all when they get by their team in 3 weeks.

Look, I think the kid has some promise, but to say he should be starting any time soon is fucking moronic.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-13-2011, 11:50 AM
By your logic we could probably start 20 third string QBs on this team, since Stanzi probably did no better than any of them. We can surely sign them all when they get by their team in 3 weeks.

Look, I think the kid has some promise, but to say he should be starting any time soon is fucking moronic.

I don't really want to start him this season, I want him to work the clipboard, and I want us to develop him correctly. I didn't expect much of anything from him, so I was ecstatic to witness the potential and the execution. He just seemed absolutely fearless while showing some crispness in the pocket when the pocket wasn't collapsing.

keg in kc
08-13-2011, 04:19 PM
I don't really want to start him this season, I want him to work the clipboard, and I want us to develop him correctly. I didn't expect much of anything from him, so I was ecstatic to witness the potential and the execution. He just seemed absolutely fearless while showing some crispness in the pocket when the pocket wasn't collapsing.Potential maybe, but execution? The only execution I saw was the Tampa front rolling through the KC line like a hot knife through butter.

Hopefully be able to see more next week. What last night showed was that he could run around like it was a chinese fire drill, which is admittedly nicer than standing still and getting drilled. But I'd like to see some blocking allowing him to work from the pocket.

BossChief
08-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Sanchez most assuredly has not done that. He's been carried for two years, the team making the playoffs despite his performance during the season, essentially winning despite him. His postseason games have been better, much better in a couple of cases, but the fact remains that if quarterback play was really a deciding factor for that team, they'd have never made it to the playoffs to begin with. Because he's been that bad in the regular season.

this is the majority of when I saw him play, so the rest is probably spot on.

Hammock Parties
08-19-2011, 10:24 PM
11/23, 96 yards

Downright Cassellian

Bowser
08-19-2011, 10:26 PM
11/23, 96 yards

Downright Cassellian

How do you expect him to get yards throwing down the center of the line of scrimmage?

Pitt Gorilla
08-19-2011, 10:33 PM
11/23, 96 yards

Downright CassellianThe stats don't really tell the story. His line was pretty horrible, but he still made pretty good throws. On a 3rd and 12, he had a dude coming right in his face and another from the side and Gabbert threw a strike to his receiver who proceeded to literally drop the ball.

He may not be the best ever, but he's looked much better than I thought he might at this point. I'd take him as a Chief in a heartbeat.

-King-
08-19-2011, 11:00 PM
How do you expect him to get yards throwing down the center of the line of scrimmage?

ROFL ROFL

But I thought he looked bad today. His passes were sailing on the WRs. Looked very uncomfortable and like he didn't know fully what he was doing.

BossChief
08-19-2011, 11:02 PM
ROFL ROFL

But I thought he looked bad today. His passes were sailing on the WRs. Looked very uncomfortable and like he didn't know fully what he was doing.

how could that be?

KcMizzou
08-19-2011, 11:04 PM
how could that be?LMAO

Seriously.

-King-
08-19-2011, 11:08 PM
how could that be?

It wasn't the normal rookie thing. He just looked lost at some points. I think he'll get better, and I'm on his bandwagon, but I think it's crazy some people thought he'd start over Garrard to start the season.

KcMizzou
08-19-2011, 11:12 PM
It wasn't the normal rookie thing. He just looked lost at some points. I think he'll get better, and I'm on his bandwagon, but I think it's crazy some people thought he'd start over Garrard to start the season.As a Gabbert fan, and Mizzou fan.. even I think that's silly. I think he can be a great NFL QB, but he's not ready to be thrown into the fire.

BossChief
08-19-2011, 11:15 PM
It wasn't the normal rookie thing. He just looked lost at some points. I think he'll get better, and I'm on his bandwagon, but I think it's crazy some people thought he'd start over Garrard to start the season.

Could it be a rookie without an offseason training program and came from a spread program and needs a lot of work till hes ready... thing?

aturnis
08-19-2011, 11:22 PM
I'd take him as a Chief in a heartbeat.

Stanzi does need someone to push him...

lcarus
08-19-2011, 11:25 PM
I'm officially going on the record about Blaine Gabbert. I do not care.

Pitt Gorilla
08-19-2011, 11:26 PM
It wasn't the normal rookie thing. He just looked lost at some points. I think he'll get better, and I'm on his bandwagon, but I think it's crazy some people thought he'd start over Garrard to start the season.Dude, we should totally flip them a 4th rounder for him.

KcMizzou
08-19-2011, 11:27 PM
Dude, we should totally flip them a 4th rounder for him.I'm in.

-King-
08-19-2011, 11:31 PM
Dude, we should totally flip them a 4th rounder for him.

Too much. I'd say a 6th and maybe Travis Daniels.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-20-2011, 04:02 AM
[QUOTE=keg in kc;7820523]I don't think any of those quarterbacks would have been hurt at all by waiting a year, but if you'll recall I said that "I've always thought it was more beneficial to wait on all but the most talented, NFL-ready draft picks". On that list, you've named 2 quarterbacks who were NFL-ready in Bradford and Ryan and a third who was taken in the top-5 in Sanchez (actually the one on the list who I believe may have benefitted most by grooming). Flacco and Freeman would fit into the context of the discussion.

I'm basically of the mindset that top-5 draft picks are the only quarterbacks you play immediately, but even with them I make it an 'earn it in camp' thing. Nobody is handed the job and thrown to the wolves. And actually, with every quarterback, they could conceivably win the job in camp, but they have to show a hell of a lot to do it. Flacco, if I recall (and I may not, but I think he took the job from Boller....) did that. I'm not familiar with Freeman's situation.

So say, Gabba

Hammock Parties
09-18-2011, 04:21 PM
Made his NFL debut today.

5-6, 52 yards

Spott
09-18-2011, 04:36 PM
Made his NFL debut today.

5-6, 52 yards

It wouldn't surprise me if he started next week against the Panthers.

Hammock Parties
09-22-2011, 09:08 AM
Jaguars will start Blaine Gabbert against Panthers

http://news.bostonherald.com/sports/football/other_nfl/view/20110922jaguars_will_start_blaine_gabbert_against_panthers/srvc=home&position=recent

It’s now Gabbert time for the Jaguars.

Coach Jack Del Rio benched Luke McCown and named Blaine Gabbert the team’s starting quarterback Wednesday.

"It’s now time for Blaine," Del Rio said. "It’s time for him to play."

Gabbert is the team’s third starting quarterback in the last 15 days, the fifth in the last two years and the eighth quarterback Del Rio has started in his nine years as head coach.

The 10th overall pick in the NFL draft, Gabbert is expected to bring stability to the position, for perhaps the next decade.

Reflecting the way the players look at Gabbert, guard Uche Nwaneri said, "I want to make sure I am here all 10 years."

The Jaguars tried to bring Gabbert along slowly. They kept veteran David Garrard before deciding the Tuesday before the regular season to cut him.

Del Rio bypassed Gabbert and handed the job to McCown, saying he had the best training camp of the three quarterbacks and gave them the best chance to win.

But after McCown threw four interceptions in the 32-3 loss to the Jets Sunday, Del Rio decided to make the transition to Gabbert.

When Del Rio was asked why he didn’t start Gabbert in the season opener, he said, "That was considered and we elected to go this way."

Del Rio said McCown was warned he had to play well to keep the job.

Even McCown conceded he didn’t play well against the Jets.

"I can’t say I deserve another chance," he said. "I didn’t perform well last week."

Gabbert will make his first start at age 21 at Carolina on Sunday where he’ll duel Cam Newton, the top pick in the draft, who has thrown for more than 400 yards in each of the first two games, but lost both.

Del Rio said they bought Gabbert two more weeks of practice by waiting until the third game to start him.

"It was similar to maybe a month of OTAs. We got a win at home, went on the road and took one on the chin, and here we are sitting at 1-1 with what we think is a good football team and a good young player and it’s time to play him," he said.

Gabbert will bring a lot of self-confidence and even a bit of swagger to the job. He said he won’t be too nervous.

"It’s another day at the office. I’m excited," Gabbert said. "I’m anxious to go out there and start my first NFL game. Not many 21-year-olds can say that they’ve done that. I’m ready to go."

He said he will have butterflies.

"When you’re doing something you love and you care about so much and you put so much time and effort throughout the week, you’re going to have the butterflies before the game. I think something is wrong if you don’t have them," he said.

Gabbert also has a reputation for having something of a swagger.

"He’s going to be good," Nwaneri said. "He’s got all the confidence in the world, a good swagger about him."

Center Brad Meester said his self-confidence is tempered by his humility.

"I think you’ve got to have that [self-confidence] to play at this level. Along with that comes humility. He’s a very down-to- earth guy, a humble guy," Meester said.

Nwaneri remembers when Gabbert started the preseason game at New England.

"He came in there and looked everybody in the eye and was like, ’Let’s go, guys.’ He’s got what you like to see. He doesn’t seem to have any nervousness," Nwaneri said.

Gabbert also said there is nothing awkward about replacing McCown.

"It’s only awkward if you make it awkward. Luke is a great human being. He’s one of my best friends on the team. We’ve both handled this like professionals," he said.

Wide receiver Mike Thomas said the Jaguars might take more deep shots down the field with the strong-armed Gabbert at quarterback.

"We want to go deep a little more," Thomas said.

Besides winning games, Gabbert is being counted on to excite the fan base, sell tickets and possibly even save the franchise for Jacksonville, but he doesn’t want to focus on all the expectations.

"I’ll leave that up to you guys worrying about that," he said.

Running back Maurice Jones-Drew noted how high the expectations are.

"We don’t expect anything else than for him to come out and lead us to a championship," he said.

Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
11-27-2011, 07:29 PM
Blaine Gabbert will remain Jaguars starter
Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on November 27, 2011, 8:11 PM EST

Luke McCown immediately added life to a dormant Jaguars offense when he replaced Blaine Gabbert in the fourth quarter on Sunday.

And now he’ll go right back to the bench. Jack Del Rio announced after Sunday’s loss that Gabbert will remain the starter.

“Offensively, we just are struggling to generate enough productivity to have any fun,” Del Rio said via the Associated Press. “It’s tough to win in this league when you’re not scoring. . . . We are working hard at it, but we are just not making enough plays.”

Gabbert is the biggest problem. His accuracy and pocket presence are major issues that will be tough to correct.

We understand that the Jaguars may as well keep playing Gabbert this season, but that doesn’t mean they have to stick with him next season.

TEX
11-27-2011, 10:41 PM
Gabbert is not ready to be an NFL starter.

HonestChieffan
11-27-2011, 10:42 PM
Gabbert is not ready to be an NFL starter.

nor will he be?

Basileus777
11-27-2011, 10:45 PM
Gabbert plays scared, feels pressure when it's not there, and spends all game staring at the pass rush. He's awful in the pocket. These were all the same things people criticized him for in college. I don't see him ever amounting to anything, these types of flaws don't usually go away when they are this severe.

evenfall
11-27-2011, 10:50 PM
He came out too early and is still raw.

Caseyguyrr
11-27-2011, 11:30 PM
you could of seen this coming for a long long time, he wasnt all that impressive at mizzou, hes a product of mel kiper jr, and im a die hard mizzou fan

baitism
11-28-2011, 02:07 AM
I would still take Gabbert over the piles of shit we have at QB. At least he would give up hope and not 28, 29 year old, career backups.

Fritz88
11-28-2011, 04:53 AM
62% wanted that dipshit hit here, including many Draftshitulators.

baitism
11-28-2011, 07:29 AM
I would still want him. He wouldn't have started this year and would have learned the system and being under center. The dude has the tools to be a good NFL QB and with proper coaching will get there.

How many Chiefs draft picks were labeled as busts year 1 and turned out to be fine. Not to mention QB is the hardest position to excel at right out of the gates. Even Cam Newton, who started out so well this year, is really struggling the last 5 or so games.

-King-
11-28-2011, 09:01 AM
I would still take Gabbert over the piles of shit we have at QB. At least he would give up hope and not 28, 29 year old, career backups.
That's a terrible argument. I'd take go chiefs over our current quarterbacks.

And nothing I've seen on Gabbert would give me hope. Absolutely nothing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Frazod
11-28-2011, 09:15 AM
62% wanted that dipshit hit here, including many Draftshitulators.

I voted yes - about mid-season last year. I sure as hell wouldn't have voted yes when the season was over.

Glad he's elsewhere. Sure wish we had Daniel, though.

tk13
11-28-2011, 09:24 AM
I would still want him. He wouldn't have started this year and would have learned the system and being under center. The dude has the tools to be a good NFL QB and with proper coaching will get there.

How many Chiefs draft picks were labeled as busts year 1 and turned out to be fine. Not to mention QB is the hardest position to excel at right out of the gates. Even Cam Newton, who started out so well this year, is really struggling the last 5 or so games.

You have a point. But the Chiefs are now in a situation where half the fans want to throw our 5th round pick in the fire because the GM failed to address the backup QB position. If we actually drafted a 1st round guy there would be tremendous pressure to play him from game 1.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fritz88
11-28-2011, 09:27 AM
I voted yes - about mid-season last year. I sure as hell wouldn't have voted yes when the season was over.

Glad he's elsewhere. Sure wish we had Daniel, though.

We would have beaten Denver and Pitt with Chase.

We would have also given NE a very hard time.

Dave Lane
11-28-2011, 09:43 AM
He's a running joke at this point. Loony was laughing on his show last night about how does Brett Farve not get a phone call when the likes of Blaine Gabbert is a QB in the NFL.

Frazod
11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
He's a running joke at this point. Loony was laughing on his show last night about how does Brett Farve not get a phone call when the likes of Blaine Gabbert is a QB in the NFL.

He sure is tall, though! :whackit:

Dave Lane
11-28-2011, 09:44 AM
Gabbert plays scared, feels pressure when it's not there, and spends all game staring at the pass rush. He's awful in the pocket. These were all the same things people criticized him for in college. I don't see him ever amounting to anything, these types of flaws don't usually go away when they are this severe.

Imagine if he was stuck behind our line at the beginning of the season :doh!:

MahiMike
11-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Gabbert vs Stanzi is a very interesting argument on when to start a rookie QB. Clearly, Gabbert was thrown in way too early. He thought he'd be riding pine all year and they pulled a Leftwich on Garrard and cut him right before the season started.

Now, the kid has no weapons and is gun shy. They may just ruin him. Stanzi has the luxury of sitting on the bench even though this team desperately needs a QB.

Reerun_KC
11-28-2011, 09:48 AM
Gabbert vs Stanzi is a very interesting argument on when to start a rookie QB. Clearly, Gabbert was thrown in way too early. He thought he'd be riding pine all year and they pulled a Leftwich on Garrard and cut him right before the season started.

Now, the kid has no weapons and is gun shy. They may just ruin him. Stanzi has the luxury of sitting on the bench even though this team desperately needs a QB.
dont by this logic...

Why is Dalton doing so well in Cincy then?

Either you are a good QB or you are a Glabbert...

Grooming is a bunch of shit 90% of the time...

tk13
11-28-2011, 09:57 AM
dont by this logic...

Why is Dalton doing so well in Cincy then?

Either you are a good QB or you are a Glabbert...

Grooming is a bunch of shit 90% of the time...

I don't know about that. I do think it's situational. Look at how QBs like Big Ben, Sanchez and Dalton went to teams with really good running games, good defenses, and they succeeded. It's not a coincidence. Then you see a guy like Alex Smith go to the freakshow that's been the Niners... and it's taken years to show anything positive.

Then there are instances where guys struggled early and played great later (Brees), and guys who genuinely appear to have been better off for sitting a year or two (Rodgers, Rivers, Carson Palmer).
Posted via Mobile Device

Deberg_1990
11-28-2011, 10:01 AM

There is no magic formula for developing a QB. Some QB's start right away and are successful, some wait years and fail.

A guy sucks because he sucks. Or is good because hes good.

Reerun_KC
11-28-2011, 10:03 AM
There is no magic formula for developing a QB. Some QB's start right away and are successful, some wait years and fail.

A guy sucks because he sucks. Or is good because hes good.

This pretty much answered it...

The Franchise
11-28-2011, 10:17 AM

Yet another QB fucked over by the team that drafted him.

Jack Del Rio and the Jags have done NOTHING to put Gabbert into a position where he can succeed.

Gabbert has no true WR1 or WR2 on that team. His offensive line isn't built to pass block and the Jags OC is a fucking retard when it comes to play calling.

-King-
11-28-2011, 08:04 PM
Yet another QB fucked over by the team that drafted him.

Jack Del Rio and the Jags have done NOTHING to put Gabbert into a position where he can succeed.

Gabbert has no true WR1 or WR2 on that team. His offensive line isn't built to pass block and the Jags OC is a fucking retard when it comes to play calling.

The thing is though, wouldn't you atleast see flashes here and there? He hasn't flashed at all this whole season. Hasn't had a play much less a game where you say, "Damn! Thats a franchise QB!".

MahiMike
11-28-2011, 08:13 PM
Dude has a wonderful arm and id 6'5". I saw him and Garrard live in preseason and knew there was no room for Garrard. I think he'll be fine once Del Rio is gone.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-28-2011, 08:15 PM
He'll be fine. He couldn't have been put in a worse position to fail this year. It was completely irresponsible to start him now, and even worse to do so with such an incompetent coach and a horrendous cast of offensive skill players.

It takes time, which is something that True Fans never want to give any QB. That's why stopgaps are always the "solution".

Rent-a-Center.

Titty Meat
11-28-2011, 08:20 PM
Ha yeah right the dude is cheeks.

Deberg_1990
11-28-2011, 08:31 PM
He'll be fine. He couldn't have been put in a worse position to fail this year. It was completely irresponsible to start him now, and even worse to do so with such an incompetent coach and a horrendous cast of offensive skill players.

It takes time, which is something that True Fans never want to give any QB. That's why stopgaps are always the "solution".

Rent-a-Center.

Gabbert will be one of those "stopgap" types in 4-5 years.

BigMeatballDave
11-28-2011, 08:49 PM
Way too soon to call this.

DeezNutz
11-28-2011, 08:56 PM
More evidence for tk's claim that this fanbase doesn't have the patience to develop a young QB.

Spare me the "We do! Just not this one!" bullshit. If he's a legit. prospect, he sucks according to True Fan.

whoman69
11-28-2011, 08:57 PM
Dude has a wonderful arm and id 6'5". I saw him and Garrard live in preseason and knew there was no room for Garrard. I think he'll be fine once Del Rio is gone.

Del Rio should already have his home on the market.

whoman69
11-28-2011, 08:58 PM
I didn't see much difference between Gabbert and Stanzi. Gabbert has a stronger arm, but I think Stanzi has better judgement.

OnTheWarpath15
11-28-2011, 09:15 PM
More evidence for tk's claim that this fanbase doesn't have the patience to develop a young QB.

Spare me the "We do! Just not this one!" bullshit. If he's a legit. prospect, he sucks according to True Fan.

Meanwhile, the fanbase is standing on their heads for a guy taken with the 135th pick, and just spent three years defending a 7th rounder that didn't play in college.

sedated
11-28-2011, 09:18 PM
He'll be fine. He couldn't have been put in a worse position to fail this year.

Yeah, a team with a top 5 defense and good RB is a horrible situation for a rookie QB.

DeezNutz
11-28-2011, 09:20 PM
Meanwhile, the fanbase is standing on their heads for a guy taken with the 135th pick, and just spent three years defending a 7th rounder that didn't play in college.

Very perplexing indeed. There are a lot of very intelligent posters who have been going to bat for Stanzi, too. Pavlov would be proud indeed.

Ring that bell, Scarl. Ring that motherfucking bell.

sedated
11-28-2011, 09:23 PM

I can't bash the people who believed/hoped Cassel would blossom into a good QB - he was a relative unknown with potential and a bit of success. Not any more.

Now Stanzi is the unknown with potential.

This is all normal, but the Chiefs fanbase has so much time on their hands and built-up bitterness that they have made a hobby of beating eachother up.

'Hamas' Jenkins
11-28-2011, 09:25 PM
Yeah, a team with a top 5 defense and good RB is a horrible situation for a rookie QB.

That RB ain't that damned good and that defense, although nice, doesn't exactly give him anything in the way of targets to throw to, and the line, which was built as a True Fans' dream, is horrendous.

He was never going to come in right away and kill it. He has talent, toughness, and work ethic. He'll be fine.

dirk digler
11-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Very perplexing indeed. There are a lot of very intelligent posters who have been going to bat for Stanzi, too. Pavlov would be proud indeed.

Ring that bell, Scarl. Ring that motherfucking bell.

people just want to see what the kid's got and believe he can't be any worse than the other 2.

Titty Meat
11-28-2011, 09:43 PM
More evidence that the fan base doesn't want to draft a QB or evidence that people actually watched Gabbert in college and saw that he's a flawed QB?

hometeam
11-28-2011, 10:01 PM
Im a huge MU fan. That being said, Gabbert is just as I expected him to be. Not very good. However, it is far too soon to close the book on Gabbert. Next season will tell much more.

Hammock Parties
12-05-2011, 09:18 PM
Gabbert's best game so far.

11/15 139 2/1

KCrockaholic
12-05-2011, 09:21 PM
Gabbert's best game so far.

11/15 139 2/1

And he hasn't looked very good.

Chase Daniel is better.

BellE Dat.

-King-
12-06-2011, 01:33 AM
Jags really might draft a new qb next year
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-06-2011, 01:43 AM
Unless he goes to Iowa, I pity the sorry sonofabitch that this team drafts in the first round at QB.

The expectations of these rookie QBs are rigoddamndiculous.

Gabbert doesn't have Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Steve Smith, Greg Olson to throw to, and Jordan Gross protecting his blindside. He doesn't have AJ Green and Jermaine Gresham.

Jacksonville has a horrible, horrible starting cast.

Some guys take longer to get it than others. You can't close the book on these guys after a year.

Titty Meat
12-06-2011, 01:50 AM
Unless he goes to Iowa, I pity the sorry sonofabitch that this team drafts in the first round at QB.

Gabbert doesn't have Jonathan Stewart, DeAngelo Williams, Steve Smith, Greg Olson to throw to, and Jordan Gross protecting his blindside. He doesn't have AJ Green and Jermaine Gresham.

Some guys take longer to get it than others. You can't close the book on these guys after a year.

He has MJD and Mercades Lewis not too bad. He sucks and looks like Eric Harris from Columbine.

-King-
12-06-2011, 01:51 AM
It's one thing to make rookie mistakes, it's quite another to be this damn shitty. His accuracy and pocket presence is worse than Tyler Palkos.

It's not just Chiefs fans who think this guy is terrible. You need to stop acting like it's just Chiefs planet making up the fact that he's the worst qb in the league right now.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
12-06-2011, 01:52 AM
He has MJD and Mercades Lewis not too bad. He sucks and looks like Eric Harris from Columbine.

Wow. LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

BigMeatballDave
12-06-2011, 02:04 AM
The nuthugging of Missouri and Iowa players here is hilarious.

salame
12-06-2011, 04:30 AM
Gabbert is HORRIBLE

BigMeatballDave
12-06-2011, 04:41 AM
Is Luck still vastly overrated?

SenselessChiefsFan
12-06-2011, 06:35 AM

Wait a second, I thought that a poor surrounding cast wasn't a defense for poor QB play. Or, is that only when it is Cassel?

Don't get it twisted. I don't think Gabbert or Cassel are very good. But, it is funny how the thinking gets turned depending on which QB we are talking about.

Oh, and MJD has the most rushing yards of any player in the league. And, we all saw how much more effective Cassel was with JC.

Just another illustration that the rules change depending on if we like a player or not.

DeezNutz
12-06-2011, 06:56 AM
Is Luck still vastly overrated?

Relatively speaking, yes. He's a high-quality prospect, but too many speak about him as if he's the second coming. Dilfer, for example, said last night that Luck would be a top-12 QB in the NFL right now.

I think this is definitely vastly overrating a college QB, and such statements really aren't fair to the player.

Wait a second, I thought that a poor surrounding cast wasn't a defense for poor QB play. Or, is that only when it is Cassel?

Don't get it twisted. I don't think Gabbert or Cassel are very good. But, it is funny how the thinking gets turned depending on which QB we are talking about.

Oh, and MJD has the most rushing yards of any player in the league. And, we all saw how much more effective Cassel was with JC.

Just another illustration that the rules change depending on if we like a player or not.

Developing a rookie QB is a bit different from analyzing the play of a QB who is damn near 30 and has been in the league since '05; this is not an apples-to-apples situation.

King_Chief_Fan
12-06-2011, 07:00 AM

indeed

Saul Good
12-06-2011, 07:06 AM
Gabbert makes some throws that make Tebow laugh. Its not a case of undertalented WRs when the receiver is 15 yards down field, and Gabbert throws the ball 3 yards. He threw a few passes that looked like intentional grounding.

SenselessChiefsFan
12-06-2011, 07:24 AM
Relatively speaking, yes. He's a high-quality prospect, but too many speak about him as if he's the second coming. Dilfer, for example, said last night that Luck would be a top-12 QB in the NFL right now.

I think this is definitely vastly overrating a college QB, and such statements really aren't fair to the player.

Developing a rookie QB is a bit different from analyzing the play of a QB who is damn near 30 and has been in the league since '05; this is not an apples-to-apples situation.

Either surrounding talent matters or it doesn't.

keg in kc
12-06-2011, 09:31 AM
Wow, rookie QB on bad really team doesn't look good. Shocker there. Stop the presses.

htismaqe
12-06-2011, 10:07 AM

ROFL

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-06-2011, 10:15 AM
Either surrounding talent matters or it doesn't.

Rookie QB: Vet QB

Caterpillar: Butterfly

BossChief
12-06-2011, 11:41 AM
By this time in any rookie quarterbacks first year that he has started since game one, he should be flashing the ability to WOW you.

In a good way.

I don't think Gabbert has done that, thus far.

ModSocks
12-06-2011, 11:45 AM
By this time in any rookie quarterbacks first year that he has started since game one, he should be flashing the ability to WOW you.

In a good way.

I don't think Gabbert has done that, thus far.

I agree.

I'm sure people here will defend Gabbert like Whitlock defends Jeff George, but the guy has been all over the place with his accuracy and has Cassel feet. He's a LONG way away. Right now he's looking much more like Jimmy Clausen than Sam Bradford.

Skyy God
12-06-2011, 11:46 AM
His upside may be 2008 Cassel (and by that I mean, he might be adequate for 1 season).

Reaper16
12-06-2011, 11:54 AM
I agree.

I'm sure people here will defend Gabbert like Whitlock defends Jeff George, but the guy has been all over the place with his accuracy and has Cassel feet. He's a LONG way away. Right now he's looking much more like Jimmy Clausen than Sam Bradford.
Hell, Sam Bradford looks more like Jimmy Clausen than Sam Bradford. Sophomore Slump like whoa.

But yes, Gabbert has not looked good. And its getting to the point where starting him in that situation might be akin to what happened to Alex Smith and David Carr -- stunting growth rather than developing it.

ModSocks
12-06-2011, 11:57 AM
Hell, Sam Bradford looks more like Jimmy Clausen than Sam Bradford. Sophomore Slump like whoa.

But yes, Gabbert has not looked good. And its getting to the point where starting him in that situation might be akin to what happened to Alex Smith and David Carr -- stunting growth rather than developing it.

Yup the whole thing.

keg in kc
12-06-2011, 11:58 AM
I agree.

I'm sure people here will defend Gabbert like Whitlock defends Jeff George, but the guy has been all over the place with his accuracy and has Cassel feet. He's a LONG way away. Right now he's looking much more like Jimmy Clausen than Sam Bradford.Many (if not most) people who'd had termed him a longer-term project heading into the draft, which is why his selection at 10 was somewhat surprising. The season's just bearing that reality out.

This is a conversation that will need to be revisited in 2014. Everybody's so caught up in instant gratification, we see it here in pretty much every thread about Stanzi (whether you're on the "omg he must really suck" or the "omg if they don't play him now he'll never get a chance" side of the coin), but the reality is that it's very difficult to really get a picture on a QB this early on.

InChiefsHeaven
12-06-2011, 12:00 PM
I haven't watched him play since college. He looked pretty ready when he left Mizzou, but damn...last night he looked beyond terrible and I know he's a rookie but that accuracy was so bad...like literally what the hell are you throwing at son?

He was off target even when he had time and open receivers. Hopefully he can learn from this season, cuz right now he doesn't look like an NFL quarterback. Now, that's just observation from one game, but the commentators were pretty much saying that he has shown zero growth this season.

FringeNC
12-06-2011, 12:07 PM
If there were a re-draft, based on the information from playing this year, obviously Gabbert would be drafted below Andy Dalton. Near impossible to argue otherwise. He's not a lost cause though, and I'd certainly take him over Cassel.

htismaqe
12-06-2011, 12:31 PM
I agree.

I think I remember this being a concern about him coming out of college. I don't think the Jags have handled him right.

And I'm a little concerned about the seeming complete lack of a deep passing game. Not sure it's his fault but the 13 completions for 125 yards is like a week-in/week-out thing.

petegz28
12-06-2011, 01:24 PM
I never cared for Gabbert at MU and I thought he was very lucky to be drafted as high as he was. He was inaccurate at MU and he has been inaccurate all year this year. Something tells me he won't get much better.

Bowser
12-06-2011, 01:27 PM
The Jags are terrible. Like, awful terrible.

He's definitley a guy that would have benefitted sitting a year or two, especially considering the offense he came from at MU.

petegz28
12-06-2011, 01:29 PM

He's definitley a guy that would have benefitted sitting a year or two, especially considering the offense he came from at MU.

That's what surprised me the most. He had droppe dback I think a total of 3 plays at MU, if that. He had never played under center and yet here he was taken high in the 1st. Nevermind he was not that GREAT of a passer to begin with.

FringeNC
12-06-2011, 01:31 PM

I think I saw last night that MJD is averaging 4.5 yards per run. If so, the offensive line can't be TOO bad.

BossChief
12-06-2011, 02:24 PM

To be fair, I think that was what most that wanted him to be drafted by us said...same with Sanchez.

If we were to have drafted them, the best way to handle them would be to sit them a year and teach.

While I pointed out over and over that Gabbert had trouble with accuracy and that is one of the two things a qb either has or doesn't, I also acknowledged his upside if he did refine his talents.

We will know a lot more about Gabbert by this time next year, one of the best traits of a quarterback is how he deals with adversity and overcomes situations.

Good luck, BG.

whoman69
12-06-2011, 02:59 PM
In this instant gratification league, I think one year is too soon to give up on a rookie QB that doesn't have much talent around him.

ModSocks
12-06-2011, 03:03 PM
In this instant gratification league, I think one year is too soon to give up on a rookie QB that doesn't have much talent around him.

Depends on what you consider to be "Much talent".

The #2 leading rusher in the NFL is a nice tool for any QB. I agree that he needs better WR's, but it's not the recievers fault he's missing them wide open.

The guy is struggling. I hope it works out for him though. Nothing worse than seeing your fans with "We should have drafted Tebow" signs out. That has to get in the head of a rookie QB that is struggling.

I'm afraid that whatever talent Gabbert may have had has been broken.

I remember watching him early on and I don't recall seeing him look as sloppy as he looked last night.

Extra Point
12-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Depends on what you consider to be "Much talent".

The #2 leading rusher in the NFL is a nice tool for any QB. I agree that he needs better WR's, but it's not the recievers fault he's missing them wide open.

The guy is struggling. I hope it works out for him though. Nothing worse than seeing your fans with "We should have drafted Tebow" signs out. That has to get in the head of a rookie QB that is struggling.

I'm afraid that whatever talent Gabbert may have had has been broken.

I remember watching him early on and I don't recall seeing him look as sloppy as he looked last night.

When your defensive coordinator sucks, it makes the team look sloppy.

Extra Point
12-06-2011, 05:43 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vAYhiHhs7RU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BossChief
12-06-2011, 05:46 PM
Gabbert was a project and went to a team without a coaching staff to undergo such a project.

If they don't make that a priority in the offseason, they might as well concede the next two years.

Setsuna
12-06-2011, 06:23 PM
Honestly guys.....the OC sucks balls. His playcalling is almost worse than McCoy's from Denver. I understand mojo is a beast, but this run on first down crap is getting annoying. It's like cutter isn't playing strategy he is just calling plays regardless of the situations and that's not helping Gabbert at all. Call some damn bootlegs or rollout plays. All he does are these 7 step drop backs. And get him in more shotgun as well. This is ridiculous.

notorious
12-06-2011, 06:45 PM
Gabbert is just your typical SEC QB.

:fire:

whoman69
12-06-2011, 07:12 PM
Gabbert was a project and went to a team without a coaching staff to undergo such a project.

If they don't make that a priority in the offseason, they might as well concede the next two years.

They really had no choice but to play him this year despite the fact he wasn't ready. I know Gerrard sucked but if you don't have another option besides rushing a rookie QB in there, you might have wanted to think that one over again.

DeezNutz
12-06-2011, 08:30 PM
Gabbert definitively proved that he couldn't use a TE effectively at Mizzou, so it's no surprise that he's not utilizing a Pro-Bowler like Lewis.

Setsuna
12-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Gabbert definitively proved that he couldn't use a TE effectively at Mizzou, so it's no surprise that he's not utilizing a Pro-Bowler like Lewis.

Yeah after his contract year, he disappeared and has looked like crap. Dropped a prefect pass in the endzone, no one around him. He sucks now.

Titty Meat
12-06-2011, 09:22 PM
So this is what it was like when peopled defended Elvis Grbac.

Buck
12-15-2011, 09:06 PM
This guy is as good as gone. Holy shit does he suck.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2011, 09:16 PM
According to a guy I know who covers the Jaguars, they will not be drafting a QB. (in the 1st)

-King-
12-15-2011, 09:18 PM
According to a guy I know who covers the Jaguars, they will not be drafting a QB. (in the 1st)

New coach, new owner. You never know.
Posted via Mobile Device

-King-
12-15-2011, 09:20 PM
Jags have -17 passing yards so far.

Marcellus
12-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Jags have -17 passing yards so far.

They need to go get Palko. LMAO

Okie_Apparition
12-15-2011, 09:26 PM
Khan looks like Gallagher & Einstein mated

O.city
12-15-2011, 09:27 PM
If I were the Jags, I'd draft atleast 2 or 3 wr in this draft. They have shit outside of MJD.

Marcellus
12-15-2011, 09:27 PM
Khan looks like Gallagher & Einstein mated

Perfect. Maybe some Groucho in there too.

Marcellus
12-15-2011, 09:28 PM
If I were the Jags, I'd draft atleast 2 or 3 wr in this draft. They have shit outside of MJD.

They need a lot. WR would be up there for sure.

Sure-Oz
12-15-2011, 09:32 PM
Gabbert is full of fail, wow.

Buck
12-15-2011, 09:34 PM
They need a QB.

Brianfo
12-15-2011, 09:36 PM
Gabbert is full of fail, wow.

Pretty much. Where is Deeznutz to discuss. LOL at draftubators. The only time EVER that I have gone on record and wanted to draft someone so bad that I could taste it was Derrick Johnson. He has had some ups and downs, but was well worth the pick.

-King-
12-15-2011, 09:41 PM
-28 yards passing now :24:
Posted via Mobile Device

Buck
12-15-2011, 09:43 PM
Jags are gonna grab RG3 and have him as their franchise player and then move to LA with their superstar in hand.

DuhChiefs
12-15-2011, 09:49 PM
I say we trade Palko to GB for a couple autographed footballs that were signed by Aaron Rodgers.

htismaqe
12-15-2011, 09:54 PM
Jags are gonna grab RG3 and have him as their franchise player and then move to LA with their superstar in hand.

Already preparing yourself for the Los Angeles Chargers, I see...

OnTheWarpath15
12-15-2011, 10:03 PM
Jaquizz Rodgers has made more defenders miss on this drive than McCluster has in 2 years.

Titty Meat
12-15-2011, 10:32 PM
This thread is funny.

BigMeatballDave
12-15-2011, 10:43 PM
That is a horrible situation for a rookie QB.

Del Rio to be fired Monday ...

OnTheWarpath15
12-15-2011, 10:45 PM
That is a horrible situation for a rookie QB.

Del Rio to be fired Monday ...

Uh, he was fired two weeks ago.

Setsuna
12-15-2011, 10:45 PM
Give us Stanzi now!

htismaqe
12-15-2011, 10:46 PM

ROFL

DuhChiefs
12-15-2011, 10:46 PM
Who is a moderator I can contact to figure how my avatar and signature problem...
It isn't giving me the opportunity to change my avatar or signature... Help please?
the avatar i have now is a default one from the site

BigMeatballDave
12-15-2011, 10:47 PM

LOL WUT

Stanley Nickels
12-15-2011, 10:49 PM
Who is a moderator I can contact to figure how my avatar and signature problem...
It isn't giving me the opportunity to change my avatar or signature... Help please?

If you can fit a doorknob in your ass, I'll help you. Otherwise, Go fuck yourself. Which might imply a doorknob in the ass.

doomy3
LOL WUT

Not sure if serious.

OnTheWarpath15
LOL WUT

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7293624/jacksonville-jaguars-fire-longtime-coach-jack-del-rio-sell-team

FAX
12-15-2011, 10:50 PM

Oh, if it were only that easy, Mr. DuhChiefs.

First, there's a waiting period. Then, after you've waited, you must prove yourself worthy by running The Dreaded Gauntlet Of Taint Destruction, which was something invented by Mr. Phobia that we are not allowed to discuss publicly. Only then, young poster, may you shed your N00bness (sp?) and change your avatar and signature.

Anyhow, good luck.

FAX

OnTheWarpath15
12-15-2011, 10:50 PM
Not sure if serious.

If things get much worse, they might sell the team.

kstater
12-15-2011, 10:51 PM

PM Bob Dole

He's pretty busy, so it's typically best to send several until it comes through on his phone.

doomy3
12-15-2011, 10:52 PM

LOL WUT

Buck
12-15-2011, 10:53 PM
Yeah, I hear that Haley might be out the door if the Chiefs don't look halfway decent against the Packers this week too.

BigMeatballDave
12-15-2011, 10:54 PM
Not sure if serious.

I'm not. I knew he was fired last month.

It's fun to watch people pile on...

BigMeatballDave
12-15-2011, 10:55 PM

There is a 20/20 chance ...

DuhChiefs
12-15-2011, 10:57 PM
If you can fit a doorknob in your ass, I'll help you. Otherwise, Go **** yourself. Which might imply a doorknob in the ass.

Are you possibly retarded? or did your parents drop you as a kid?
or was this just one of those irrelavent posts you tend to post?
Now now... Any actual help? Or am I gonna get a bunch immature answers from people thinking they have a awesome sense of humor?

FAX
12-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Are you possibly retarded? or did your parents drop you as a kid?
or was this just one of those irrelavent posts you tend to post?
Now now... Any actual help? Or am I gonna get a bunch immature answers from people thinking they have a awesome sense of humor?

PM Mr. Bob Dole, Mr. DuhChiefs.

He'll take care of your problem.

FAX

Buck
12-15-2011, 11:00 PM
That's a pretty fucking gay avatar you have there, Duh. What are you some kind of Christopher Street Boy?

DuhChiefs
12-15-2011, 11:02 PM
LMAO... It's a default picture that the forum gave me... Read past posts? k thx bye

DuhChiefs
12-15-2011, 11:03 PM
PM Mr. Bob Dole, Mr. DuhChiefs.

He'll take care of your problem.

FAX
Thanks, FAX!

OnTheWarpath15
12-15-2011, 11:03 PM
There is a 20/20 chance ...

LMAO

Pablo
12-15-2011, 11:04 PM
DuhChiefs doesn't seem too bright. And he must really like Teddy bears or something.

doomy3
12-15-2011, 11:04 PM
Thanks, FAX!

FAX is always helping out the n00bs. FAX and Bob Dole.

Pablo
12-15-2011, 11:05 PM
93 problems, but a bitch ain't one.

OnTheWarpath15
12-15-2011, 11:07 PM
93 problems, but a bitch ain't one.

http://images.stuffofawesome.com/100-problems-1306990804-6422.jpg

DuhChiefs
12-15-2011, 11:09 PM
Not such a nub to forums... Actually pretty used to them... and I am bright enough to know that "ain't" is not a word.... and that you are "irrelavent"

Pablo
12-15-2011, 11:15 PM
Not such a nub to forums... Actually pretty used to them... and I am bright enough to know that "ain't" is not a word.... and that you are "irrelavent"
Teddy bear phaggit don't faze me.

Buck
12-15-2011, 11:16 PM

Irrelevant isn't a word you fucking idiot.

FAX
12-15-2011, 11:17 PM
http://images.stuffofawesome.com/100-problems-1306990804-6422.jpg

What the heck happened to that kid in the green shirt?

That wouldn't be Mr. SenselessChiefsfub, would it?

FAX

DuhChiefs
12-15-2011, 11:17 PM
lol, I figured it out... lol... Tebby Bear is duh ******* man...
(:

doomy3
12-15-2011, 11:18 PM
Irrelevant isn't a word you ****ing idiot.

LOL WUT

Buck
LOL WUT

It's like irregardless, duh.

All it means is relevant.

Pablo
LOL WUT

It's spelled whut dumbass.

DuhChiefs
12-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Irrelevant isn't a word you ****ing idiot.

ir·rel·e·vant/iˈreləvənt/Adjective: Not connected with or relevant to something.

Synonyms: irrelative - insignificant - unimportant - immaterial

****ing moron.

-King-
12-15-2011, 11:19 PM

What?

http://i.word.com/idictionary/ain't
Posted via Mobile Device

Pablo
12-15-2011, 11:20 PM
lol, I figured it out... lol... Tebby Bear is duh ******* man...
(:

Ur d's are backwards in Teddy bro.

doomy3
ir·rel·e·vant/iˈreləvənt/Adjective: Not connected with or relevant to something.

****ing moron.

Link or GTFO

'Hamas' Jenkins
I'll stand by my assessment. I still think he's going to be a very good NFL QB. He has absolutely nothing to work with, and he should not have played this year, so he's going to look terribad.

DuhChiefs
12-15-2011, 11:21 PM
Time to stop hating on eachother and discuss about our beloved Chiefs and their qb situation (:
lubz all Chiefs fans! No homo..

doomy3
12-15-2011, 11:22 PM
I'll stand by my assessment. I still think he's going to be a very good NFL QB. He has absolutely nothing to work with, and he should not have played this year, so he's going to look terribad.

He has all kinds of potential, so I think you're right. Damn, he has been horrendous this year though. Biggest concern has to be his inability to feel pressure and that he wilts under phantom pressure, a la Cassel.

Pablo
12-15-2011, 11:22 PM

****ing moron.

Like we can trust any source a noob quotes. You get that offa ilovealquidahandharddicksinmyhand.com?

doomy3
12-15-2011, 11:23 PM
He has all kinds of potential, so I think you're right. Damn, he has been horrendous this year though. Biggest concern has to be his inability to feel pressure and that he wilts under phantom pressure, a la Cassel.

And his accuracy has been outright terrible.

Buck
12-15-2011, 11:23 PM

****ing moron.

You think I'm and idiot?

You probably found that on the internet. Can't believe everything you sea their.

DuhChiefs
12-15-2011, 11:24 PM
Google the word irrelavant and it comes up... I can't post a link because the forum won't let me unti I "spend time" on the forums...
Why we still hating?

Pablo
You think I'm and idiot?

You probably found that on the internet. Can't believe everything you sea their.

Yah it looks photoshopped or somethin.

FAX
Google the word irrelavant and it comes up... I can't post a link because the forum won't let me unti I "spend time" on the forums...
Why we still hating?

We is upset.

FAX

DuhChiefs
12-15-2011, 11:25 PM
The definition came h ttp :// w ww. merriam- webster . c om / dictionary / irrelevant

doomy3
12-15-2011, 11:26 PM
The definition came h ttp :// w ww. merriam- webster . c om / dictionary / irrelevant

The link doesn't work.

'Hamas' Jenkins

He needs to work on it, there's no doubt, and he does have warts, but when the game was still somewhat in doubt there were multiple face palm moments.

One was when he threw a skinny post to the receiver that hit him in stride in the hands and the guy let the DB get around on him and knock it away. Another was a rollout and soft toss to the right side of the offense that would have hit the WR for a long catch and run (Dillard, I think) only for it to clank off of his hands.

It's not like he can't throw the football, he can, but Jacksonville is doing everything the wrong way.

IMO, first down needs to be a passing down for a rookie QB, b/c it's the down where the defense least expects it. You're not going to face a blitz on first down, so if you really want to run a truly "conservative" offense, wouldn't you actually be better off moving the pocket on first down, using PA, and simplifying his reads?

Running MJD twice to set up a third down blitz with no trustworthy receivers is like trying to split an anvil in half by banging your head against it.

Buck

Oh hell no, you trying to give me a virus or somethign?

DuhChiefs
12-15-2011, 11:27 PM
Now may we get back to talking about qbs...?

doomy3
12-15-2011, 11:27 PM
He needs to work on it, there's no doubt, and he does have warts, but when the game was still somewhat in doubt there were multiple face palm moments.

One was when he threw a skinny post to the receiver that hit him in stride in the hands and the guy let the DB get around on him and knock it away. Another was a rollout and soft toss to the right side of the offense that would have hit the WR for a long catch and run (Dillard, I think) only for it to clank off of his hands.

It's not like he can't throw the football, he can, but Jacksonville is doing everything the wrong way.

IMO, first down needs to be a passing down for a rookie QB, b/c it's the down where the defense least expects it. You're not going to face a blitz on first down, so if you really want to run a truly "conservative" offense, wouldn't you actually be better off moving the pocket on first down, using PA, and simplifying his reads?

Running MJD twice to set up a third down blitz with no trustworthy receivers is like trying to split an anvil in half by banging your head against it.

I don't disagree with any of this. You just hope he has some confidence left at the end of the season.

BossChief
12-15-2011, 11:28 PM

they better get a good coach that can develop him.

Otherwise, the kid is gonna be destroyed after another year of this.

Sucks, but its true.

Dude is already seeing ghosts on the field.

bad sign.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-15-2011, 11:29 PM
Trivia time:

What did Jacksonville spend its first two picks on in 2009?

doomy3
12-15-2011, 11:29 PM
they better get a good coach that can develop him.

Otherwise, the kid is gonna be destroyed after another year of this.

Sucks, but its true.

Dude is already seeing ghosts on the field.

bad sign.

Wasn't this a knock on him at MU too?

doomy3
12-15-2011, 11:30 PM
Trivia time:

What did Jacksonville spend its first two picks on in 2009?

Offensive line I think. And it sucks.

FAX
There's this movie on about a bunch of convicts escaping through some woods while being attacked by some sort of cannibal hillbilly dude driving a wrecker.

Anyhow, two of the convicts got in a fight and one of them head-butted the other one.

I'm wondering why the head-butter doesn't get just as conked as the head-buttee? It doesn't make sense. I mean, their heads are making contact with equal velocity.

FAX

DuhChiefs
lol talk about nubs... virus? really? lol I'm duhn.
I think Blain will proceed to get better once he has a good team to work with or otherwise he won't be doing anything special.

doomy3
12-15-2011, 11:31 PM
There's this movie on about a bunch of convicts escaping through some woods while being attacked by some sort of cannibal hillbilly dude driving a wrecker.

Anyhow, two of the convicts got in a fight and one of them head-butted the other one.

I'm wondering why the head-butter doesn't get just as conked as the head-buttee? It doesn't make sense. I mean, their heads are making contact with equal velocity.

FAX

It's all about where you are making contact, I think.

doomy3
12-15-2011, 11:31 PM
lol talk about nubs... virus? really? lol I'm duhn.
I think Blain will proceed to get better once he has a good team to work with or otherwise he won't be doing anything special.

I hate talking about nubs. They kind of freak me out.

DuhChiefs
12-15-2011, 11:34 PM
I hate talking about nubs. They kind of freak me out.

LOL
nubs/noobs/n00bs/nubbys/new guys/nooby's... all some what close (:
I hate to see such good talent, Gabbert, ruined because of the team who picked him.

Titty Meat
12-15-2011, 11:34 PM
Mizzou fans are making the same excuses for Eric Harris that Chiefs fans in 09-10 were making for Cassel. This guy is a glorified Elvis Grbac and when it's all said and done James Franklin will have accomplished just as many wins and if not more bowl victories as well.

BossChief
12-15-2011, 11:35 PM

FAX

You have to head-butt through the head buttees' head Mr FAX. Therefore, the initial shock of the head-butt is felt a lot more severely by the head-buttee.

I learned this from a rather large (relatively speaking, of course) Chinese man while I was studying the arts as a younger duckling.

BTW...FYI, stay away from ducklings that try to head-butt you.