PDA

View Full Version : Best Chief QB of the last decade?

sd4chiefs
10-30-2000, 04:59 PM
kcchiefs.com has an interesting question up for thier weekly poll. Who was the best Cheifs QB of the last decade? You've got to love DeBerg's guts, hustle and work ethic. Montana was great in '93 but a little disappointing in '94 and no matter how hard I try I can't convince myself that he's really a Chief. I think you all know what I mean... Bono? Well, he might be the worst QB in the history of football to "lead" a team to a 13-3 record. He may also have been the first to do it cross-eyed. Was it me or did it alwasy look like he was staring at the sidelines? Krieg? Nah. Gannon? Didn't play enough. Grbac? Juries still out on this one. This year has been mighty impressive so far.

I'd have to say DeBerg. He wasn't great, his receivers weren't great, yet somehow how he got my "always down and out" team in to the playoffs and I remember how shocked I was. I'm not going to forget that so for now, he's the best. What do you guys think?

AZ

The-Chief
10-30-2000, 05:08 PM
If you consider QBs that played at least 2 years then, yes, DeBerg was probably the best chiefs QB of the 1990s.

Why do you mention Grbac for this year? Are you including this year as part of the 1990s?

diz
10-30-2000, 05:15 PM
I'm goin' to vote for the Master of the Play-Action Fake: Steve DeBerg - busted finger and all!

[This message has been edited by DiscoJones (edited 10-30-2000).]

King_Chief_Fan
10-30-2000, 05:25 PM
Elvis, by a MILE. Any other QB breaking Lenny's 35 year old records? For two years I've backed this guy. Mainly because I knew if he wasn't here, he would be in Donkland or Seattle kicking our A$$!

diz
10-30-2000, 05:28 PM
Does this year count? Does anyone know? I may have to go back and vote for Elvis too. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/eek.gif

Yosef_Malkovitch
10-30-2000, 05:30 PM
As much as I appreciate the scrappy styles of Deberg & Gannon (they beat the odds, kinda), I think Elvis wins this one hands down. No question, really.

Masonic
10-30-2000, 05:36 PM
Steve DeBerg, no question. He was there from the beginning when the Chiefs were terrible and had a couple of really good years running the play action offense. You just had to respect the guts and obvious love for the game this guy showed every Sunday.

Mike
10-30-2000, 05:41 PM
I just voted for Elvis without thinking; this year is probably the best I've seen any Chief QB play (I never saw Lenny D). But now that I think of it, we're out of the '90s now so it really doesn't qualify. Still, if he keeps on this pace he's going to have all the club records and be the best QB in Chiefs history (although he might need a SB win to clinch it).

Mosbonian
10-30-2000, 05:42 PM
Pardon me if I point out that is says "best QB of the last decade" This would mean the last ten years not the decade of the 1990s. So clearly it includes this year. The poll was clearly intended to see if Grbac is beginning to turn the public opinion tide.

I would say that he and Montana are easily the best QB's of the last 10 years. Montana loses out on longevity, Grbac loses out on football intellect. I would have a tough time voting, but if Elvis keeps it up for the last eight games he gets my vote.

htismaqe
10-30-2000, 06:27 PM
IBDHO, Steve DeBerg was a total stud. The guy was accurate and had guts, and rallied the team. There were times when you could just tell that his teams felt they could beat anyone. He was a true leader.

Bob Dole really wishes we'd retain him as a QB coach.

WarPaint
10-30-2000, 07:59 PM
Montana hands down. Closest we've been to a championship during the decade was when he was at the helm.

Ugly Duck
10-30-2000, 09:49 PM
DeBerg followed closely by Grbac and then Montana. I loved seeing DeBerg carry our team even with that big ol cast on his finger. The man was tuff.

TCB
10-30-2000, 10:02 PM
I cant help but think of Deberg with the casted broken finger . . . that says a lot for a man's desire to get his team to the next level. It seems he really wanted to go all the way . . . driven by the fact that, at his age, he most of his NFL starts were behind him.

Grbac is the trigger man for the most impressive pass attack I've ever seen from the Chiefs . . . almost reminds me of the early '90s Bills.

of course, most of Deberg's teams could run the ball. Steve didn't HAVE to throw as much as Elvis

Hoover
10-30-2000, 10:26 PM
I can't believe ANYONE would vote for..

<center>http://smsuperfan.tripod.com/bono.gif</center>

..but he's got 2% of the vote.

Pitiful, just pitiful...

Joe Seahawk
10-30-2000, 10:34 PM
if we are including this year then i say elvis. if we are not including this year then it would have to be deberg. best damn play action pass i have ever seen. and wasn't that broken finger on his throwing hand too?? joe montana in a close second. didn't he get knocked out of that agc championship game??

------------------
~Thats why they call me slim shady~

milkman
10-30-2000, 10:39 PM
MONTANA. If Joe had had Gonzo, Sly and Alexander... such a bittersweet thought I can't even continue, but you get the idea. Elvis is a firm No. 2. DeBerg gets an honorable mention for his enormous heart. I can never think about him without cringing remembering the pin sticking out of his finger. What a stud.

I will NOT praise Gannon during Raiders week - if we win on Sunday I might be able to muster some kind words, but right now he is the ENEMY, PERIOD. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif F#ck him!

Krieg wasn't a bad guy but didn't do much of anything, so to hell with him, too.

And Bono can KISS MY A$$!

------------------
Frazod

CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF DENISE! DEATH TO OAKLAND!

TCB
10-30-2000, 10:40 PM
Slim,
No . . . it wasn't his passing hand.
I doubt he could have gripped a ball with the size of that bandage

alanm
10-31-2000, 07:36 AM
Montana did not play all that well when he was with us, so he does not get my vote here, although he would be in my top five list in general.

Grbac shows lots of potential, but still has some bugs to work out as far as decision making and scrambling. I have no doubt that he will claim the #1 position within a few years.

But there can be no doubt as to the best Chiefs QB in the last decade. It would be the absolute MASTER of the play fake. The toughest, most cunning SOB I have ever seen at QB. The man who did more with less raw talent than any other QB in history:

Steve DeBerg.

xoxo~
gaz
the original DeBerg Homer.<BR>

Ugly Duck
10-31-2000, 09:26 AM
I LOVE that FIRE frazod! Damn I would just love to play special teams against the Raiders and just run down and cave someone's helmet in. RRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRR
GGGGGGGGGGRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWLLLLL

DESTROY ALL THAT IS SILVER AND BLACK!!!!!

The Blessed Virgin Larry
10-31-2000, 10:03 AM
Joe Montana gets my vote. He took us farther with less.

DoktorSmith
10-31-2000, 10:09 AM
Enemy or not, Gannon was not even close to being one of the best of the decade...

Montana
DeBerg
Grbac
Krieg and then Gannon....Raider or not I never really liked Gannon...it was great when he won games for us...but I just never had that much faith in his abilities...if he couldn't run, he'd be a third string QB...

death to all Raiders!!!!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst