PDA

View Full Version : NFBT...advice from Bill Gates

Mark M [BornChiefs]
11-01-2000, 10:18 AM
Thought this might provoke some thought.Here’s some advice from Bill Gates recently dished out at a local high school speech about 11 things you would not learn in school. He talked about how feel-good, politically correct teachings created a generation of kids with no concept of reality and how this concept set them up for failure in the real world.

Rules:
1. Life is NOT fair, get used to it.
2. The world won’t care about your self-esteem. The world will expect you to accomplish something BEFORE you feel good about it.
3. You will not make $40,000 a year right out of high school and you won’t be a VP with a cell phone until you earn both.
4. If you think teachers are tough, wait until you get a boss. He doesn’t have tenure and neither do you.
5. Flipping burgers is not “beneath” your dignity. Your grandparents had a different word for burger flipping-they called it opportunity.
6. If you mess up, It’s not your parents fault, so don’t whine about you mistakes…Learn from them

continued...<P>

Mark M [BornChiefs]
11-01-2000, 10:19 AM
continued..7. Before you were born, your parents weren’t as boring as they are now. They got that way from paying your bills, cleaning your clothes and listening to you talk about how cool you are. So before you save the rainforest from the parasites of your parents’ generation, try delousing the closet in your own room.
8. Your school may have done away with winners and losers, but LIFE HAS NOT! In some schools they have abolished failing grades and they’ll give you as many chances as you want to get the right answer. This doesn’t bear the slightest resemblance to ANYTHING in real life.
9. Life is not divided into semesters. You don’t get summers off and very few employers are interested in helping you “find yourself”. Do that on your own time.
10. Television is NOT real life. In Real Life people actually have to leave the coffee shop and go to work.
11. BE NICE TO NERDS. Chances are you’ll end up working for one.

<BR>

BIG_DADDY
11-01-2000, 10:31 AM
Did Gates actually say those things?

That's great! I agree with every one of them!

KC Jones
surprised to find he supports Bill Gates

Mark M [BornChiefs]
11-01-2000, 10:41 AM
kc,

I didn't here them and can't source it, but it was sent to me as fact...and regardless..they are all true...

I'm sooo tired of the whining and "entitlement" issues in society...Personally accountability and responisbility are far too lacking..

Raiderhater
11-01-2000, 10:44 AM
While I agree with those sentiments, I think Bill's time would be better served breaking the 640K DOS barrier.

wutamess
11-01-2000, 10:47 AM
Wow, that is wonderful. I guess I should of known that he understands how the "real" world works though considering his position and status in our society.

Brock
11-01-2000, 10:48 AM
Iowanian,
Great post, but isn't it sad that what our parents took for granted we now have to re-educate our youth with?

By the way, I thought that Bill Gates was a liberal? Maybe reality has caught up with him also.

Mark M [BornChiefs]
11-01-2000, 10:57 AM
bishop,

I think it is good that he still realizes HOW he got where he is today...the american dream, a good idea, a few intelligent assisants, hard work and a little luck...I think it still carries over today with him...and I think he DOES have a grasp of reality..more than a politician born into power and Millions.

He's better than me...If I had his money, I'd sell the store, buy a Hawaiian Island, evict everyone, fill it back with Bud Light, "juggie girls on trampolines" and try to convine Lamar to move training camp to my back yard... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

Gracie Dean
11-01-2000, 11:01 AM
This list didn't originate with Bill Gates. This list is the work of Charles J. Sykes, author of the book Dumbing Down Our Kids: Why American Children Feel Good About Themselves but Can't Read, Write, or Add. Many versions of this list omit the last three rules:
Rule No. 12: Smoking does not make you look cool. It makes you look moronic. Next time you're out cruising, watch an 11-year-old with a butt in his mouth. That's what you look like to anyone over 20. Ditto for "expressing yourself" with purple hair and/or pierced body parts.
Rule No. 13: You are not immortal. (See Rule No. 12.) If you are under the impression that living fast, dying young and leaving a beautiful corpse is romantic, you obviously haven't seen one of your peers at room temperature lately.

Rule No. 14: Enjoy this while you can. Sure parents are a pain, school's a bother, and life is depressing. But someday you'll realize how wonderful it was to be a kid. Maybe you should start now. You're welcome. <P>

Devin Vierth
11-01-2000, 11:27 AM
Idaho Chief:

Do you think the Justice Dept would have gone after MicroSoft the way it did if Bill Gates were a liberal in Bill Clinton's eye?

I sure don't think so.

------------------
bk

DaveC
11-01-2000, 11:37 AM
A plagiarized tuff love address on how to live one's life from Mr. humility himself. How 'bout a seminar on moderation from Darryl Strawberry?

BIG_DADDY
11-01-2000, 11:41 AM
I should've known it was only a matter of time before this turned into another left wing conspiracy theory. I'm surprised Clinton didn't just have him assasinated.

Mark M [BornChiefs]
11-01-2000, 11:48 AM
I started this post to discuss something besides the political crap...its wearing on my nerves...

I thought it mearly was a comment on how "we" and our "youth" should start accepting a little responsibility for "our" own actions. I'm tired of caring about others "feelings" and being "unfair".

I guess I'm just feeling a little bitter today..fighting with the bank..buying a very afordable turd of a house that I can improve....I'm make "too much money" to qualify for 1st time homeowner loans, not enough to pay for the house myself, buying a house I CAN afford vs one out of my range...so I'm not borrowning enough to be a good investment.....screwed for having a job, good credit, no illegitimate kids or wives.....BUT I'm going to do it anyway...enough venting.I feel better http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

wutamess
11-01-2000, 12:01 PM
Iowanian,
I plan on doing that when I retire at 45... wanna come?

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

redshirt32
11-01-2000, 12:10 PM
Iowanian:

Your intent wasn't lost on me.

As a person who was asked to participate in teaching a class in a High School I can tell you that most kids have no idea that money doesn't grow on trees and that Parents many times struggle to make ends meet.

What was even worse was taking that same class and teaching it at the local Community College and being absolutely stunned at the large number of YOUNG & OLDER adults that have misguided ideas about fiscal and/or personal responsibility. It would appall you to listen to what people believe that the "world owes them" or that they believe that Mom & Dad still owe it to them to help get them started even though they may be 25.

That's why I was offended by the remarks made by Disco on the other thread about "Baby Boomers" living off of "his money". No one owes anyone anything...you earn what you get.

mmaddog

Mark M [BornChiefs]
11-01-2000, 12:12 PM
bishop,

if there is beer, football games, and I don't have to deal with the public anymore(this election stuff is driving me nuts, my office has a significant workload for every election)....I'll come!!

Gracie Dean
11-01-2000, 12:15 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>A plagiarized tuff love address <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Sorry, should have been more clear. BG never said this, EVER. Mr. Sykes wrote it. Someone put it on the I-net. Someone else noticed the "be nice to nerds" line and decided that it sounded like something BG would say, being so nerdy and all, and attributed it to him.

Come on people. . . "at a local high school speech"?? Generic enough to be difficult to refute, but still implausible on its face. Its called Glurge.

Ya' know that "taking things with a grain of salt" adage, it really applies to a lot of what you see on the I-net.

BTW, nothing in this little rant is intended to denigrate the worth of the advice itself, just the attribution.

[This message has been edited by JC-Johnny (edited 11-01-2000).]

Mark M [BornChiefs]
11-01-2000, 12:21 PM
mark,

I understand...I think I'm a rare breed for my generation. I'm 27, have watched my folks bust their humps for the little they've had...while managing rental houses on the side and seeing people riding the system, having big screen tvs, boats, newer vehicles than my folks, new trampolines.....while "we" work to pay their rent, heat, light, and food bills....pisses me off to no end...

My siblings often joke with my folks about not spending our money, and sending them to the barn when they get old....but in reality...i don't even want it...My dad was debating buying a bigger tractor the other day(we're not there to help as much) but didn't want to spend all of "our money"...i told him to spend it all, he's earned it,and can't take it with....

I'll pave my own trial, but thats probably just the cowboy in me.