PDA

View Full Version : Draft Theme 2011

Dante84
03-24-2011, 11:31 PM
It seems like Pioli is a man with a plan. He is very calculated, very deliberate. Whether or not you believe he is correct or headed in the right direction is up to you. (I think his resume speaks for itself, though, so you are a dumbass if you think he's a dumbass.)

Year 1 had a Special Teams theme to it, by selecting Lawrence, Washington, and Succup. Obviously we were a shit team heading into it, so we had to pick fires to put out everywhere.

Last year, we drafted players with two themes in mind: 1. Speed, and 2. Leadership Ability.

Speed
We took players like Javi and Dex early, when prognosticators would have had us picking other positions/player types. Lewis was a speed upgrade over our old-ass safeties and Berry, of course, is fast as shit.

Leadership Ability
All but one of our picks was a Team Captain, if I remember correctly.

This Year
So let's assume Pioli has a theme coming into this draft. What are some universal themes, or character traits, that we will seek out? Please share a theme, and 2-3 players you have in mind that might fit that theme.

I'm trying to steer clear of "this position" vs. "that position" since that's in every other draft thread anyways. I'm more looking for discussion on what you think our theme/s could be for this draft.

Reaper16
03-24-2011, 11:40 PM
"Lunchpail Guys"

Dante84
03-24-2011, 11:40 PM
I'm thinking some potential themes are:
- Leadership Ability (again)
- I think a key one for this year could be Intelligence. We've seen what Berry brought to the table last year. Even if he wasnt as physically talented as he is, he was most always in the right spot, knowing what to do. Vrabel is another great example. He is trash physically, but he knows what to do and where to be. On the flip side, Brodie has a killer arm. He is also a dumbass. Bowe is a beast, but he has some stupid moments like forgetting his route, losing focus, or being unsure of where to line up.

That would be my guess for this year. Intelligence and/or High Football IQ.

BigCatDaddy
03-25-2011, 08:47 AM
Play maker AKA

A DT that can penetrate or push a C into the QB's nutsack, a WR that stretch the field, an OLB that can rush the passer and well, a QB but probably of the backup variety for now.

Chiefnj2
03-25-2011, 10:19 AM
I don't see last year as a speed year.

Dex was a 4.53. For a 175lb player, it isn't anything special. Arenas was a 4.60 at the combine.

The Franchise
03-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Hopefully the theme this year is actually filling the fucking holes that we have on this team.

ModSocks
03-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I don't see last year as a speed year.

Dex was a 4.53. For a 175lb player, it isn't anything special. Arenas was a 4.60 at the combine.

Pioli and Haley have been quoted multiple times saying that there goal was to draft more speed.

Both of those players you mentioned play faster than they time. especially Dex, who is much more quick than fast.

ModSocks
03-25-2011, 10:24 AM
i think they'll stick with the same themes they had last year since it worked for them.

Chiefnj2
03-25-2011, 10:34 AM
i think they'll stick with the same themes they had last year since it worked for them.

Less than 300 combined rushing and receiving yards for an early 2nd round pick, in one of the deepest drafts in NFL history, didn't work too well.

BigCatDaddy
03-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Less than 300 combined rushing and receiving yards for an early 2nd round pick, in one of the deepest drafts in NFL history, didn't work too well.

4 out or those 7 guys will start this year and it should be 5 since Arenas plays a ton of snaps as it is. They were 2nd only to the Patriots in games played by rookies last year at 51 and won the division. I'll take that. And who knows, maybe Scheffield takes over the starting OLB position and you have all 7 guys being major contributors this year.

Chiefnj2
03-25-2011, 10:50 AM
4 out or those 7 guys will start this year and it should be 5 since Arenas plays a ton of snaps as it is. They were 2nd only to the Patriots in games played by rookies last year at 51 and won the division. I'll take that.

4 of 7 should start on a team that had won 10 games combined over a three year period.

BigCatDaddy
03-25-2011, 10:54 AM
4 of 7 should start on a team that had won 10 games combined over a three year period.

So the fact they helped take that team to a division title really says a lot.

You are also siting yearly stats for a guy that missed 6 games.

ModSocks
03-25-2011, 11:04 AM

Not only that, but he had several big plays taken back on stupid penalties. He's an explosive, dynamic player. People who want to point at stats are just trying to attack the draft w/o looking at it w/ any sort of objectivity.

Chiefnj2
03-25-2011, 11:17 AM

Is that supposed to make me feel better? The fact that a 175lb player may not be able to take 16 games of NFL punishment?

BigCatDaddy
03-25-2011, 11:27 AM
Is that supposed to make me feel better? The fact that a 175lb player may not be able to take 16 games of NFL punishment?

He had a high ankle sprain just as Best did so I'm not sure that's relevant. A broken bone, or shoulder seperation I suppose it's possible. It's not like he was plagued with injuries at Ole Miss even though he had a ton of touches.

Do you honestly not think that was a pretty damn good draft overall?

ModSocks
03-25-2011, 11:30 AM

Dude, it was a high ankle sprain. That can happen to anyone.

the Talking Can
03-25-2011, 11:40 AM
More Midgets

Chiefnj2
03-25-2011, 11:56 AM
Do you honestly not think that was a pretty damn good draft overall?

I would have preferred if they attempted to address starting positions of need and not returners, etc.

I think the 2nd round was a bit of a waste.

RealSNR
03-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Hot guys who can do public relations and photoshoots :thailor:

BigCatDaddy
03-25-2011, 11:59 AM
I would have preferred if they attempted to address starting positions of need and not returners, etc.

I think the 2nd round was a bit of a waste.

A nickelback is about as valuable as a starting CB these days and I think they intended for McCluster to start at WR. They just both happen to be returners. You have to remember the days of the Tecmo bowl style proset being run 3/4's of the time is done.

What if it had went like this?

1. Berry
2A. Moeiaki
2B. Asamoah
3. Arienas
4. McCluster

Bump
03-25-2011, 12:00 PM
I'm thinking some potential themes are:
- Leadership Ability (again)
- I think a key one for this year could be Intelligence. We've seen what Berry brought to the table last year. Even if he wasnt as physically talented as he is, he was most always in the right spot, knowing what to do.

not always, lol. There were some growing pains. But with that being said, he's going to be the next best thing at safety.

RealSNR
03-25-2011, 12:13 PM
A nickelback is about as valuable as a starting CB these days and I think they intended for McCluster to start at WR. They just both happen to be returners. You have to remember the days of the Tecmo bowl style proset being run 3/4's of the time is done.

What if it had went like this?

1. Berry
2A. Moeiaki
2B. Asamoah
3. Arienas
4. McClusterMoeaki has far surpassed my expectations, but that doesn't mean it's okay to take him with a high 2nd round pick. I would have murdered puppies if Pioli did that

KCUnited
03-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Bill Muir scheme guys.

Wilson8
03-25-2011, 09:19 PM
The theme will be "Filling the Holes" or "Big Man in the Middle".

The cast for this high school themed prom dance will be;

Stefen Wisniewski -playing the role of a center in the middle.

Leonard Hankerson - playing the role of a wide receiver able to go over the middle.

Jerrell Powe - playing the role of a nose tackle in the middle.

Bewbies
03-25-2011, 11:32 PM
Whoever it is we draft I'm going to go ahead and rate their entire career on their rookie season, potential be damned.

RealSNR
03-25-2011, 11:36 PM
Whoever it is we draft I'm going to go ahead and rate their entire career on their rookie season, potential be damned.We do that every year

Tribal Warfare
03-26-2011, 12:47 AM
BIG NASTIES

Chris Meck
03-26-2011, 11:33 AM
The theme will be "Filling the Holes" or "Big Man in the Middle".

The cast for this high school themed prom dance will be;

Stefen Wisniewski -playing the role of a center in the middle.

Leonard Hankerson - playing the role of a wide receiver able to go over the middle.

Jerrell Powe - playing the role of a nose tackle in the middle.

I would dig that.

MagicHef
03-26-2011, 07:07 PM
"Under the Sea"