View Full Version : Chiefs Chiefs Sign Kelly Gregg

Pages : 1 [2]

Micjones
07-30-2011, 06:45 PM
Warren is a DE.

Who can also play inside, no?

Crush
07-30-2011, 06:45 PM
can't blame the 49ers for being wary ... i think every good year of Franklins was a contract year.

for a Dlineman that can be a disaster of Dan Williams/Chester McGlockton proportions

That takes me back... to a world of repressed memories.

Micjones
07-30-2011, 06:47 PM
To be elite? He's almost 31. Might be a bit too late for that.

He may never be elite, but certainly he's a good Nose and arguably the best FA candidate available.

milkman
07-30-2011, 06:47 PM
Who can also play inside, no?

Always played DE, so I don't know that.

gonefishin53
07-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Signing Gregg is a good football move. Lack of interest 3-4 teams had in Franklin shows how weak this years free agent NT class is. Hard to make significant upgrades at a position when so little quality is available. Still, Gregg and Powe is better than Edwards and Smith.

If the Chiefs add another DE, I wonder if they go for the vet coming off a season long injury (Ty Warren) or the young athlete with freakish 3-4 DE potential but was drafted by a 4-3 team (Jamaal Anderson).

the Talking Can
07-30-2011, 06:55 PM
i think we need a vet DE

behind dorsey and jackson (assuming he doesn't suck ass again) we only have Gilberry (strictly 3rd down player to this point) and a 3rd rounder rookie in Bailey....

that is sketchy, and if any of them went down we'd basically be fubar...

Just Passin' By
07-30-2011, 06:59 PM
I don't follow. Neither Edwards or Smith are comparable talent-wise to Franklin.
Even prior to them signing with other franchises this team needed to upgrade the position.

That player you're pimping, in conjunction with his contract, was not deemed worth retaining by the 49ers.

Micjones
07-30-2011, 07:08 PM
That player you're pimping, in conjunction with his contract, was not deemed worth retaining by the 49ers.

The same franchise ALSO retained a former #1 overall pick with a career QB rating of 72.1.

Chief Faithful
07-30-2011, 07:10 PM
They're expecting his potential.

They drafted him where they did. Powe had more pure talent than any NT prospect 3 rounds above him. PERIOD.

It's about his character and the ability to coach him up to the NFL level that worried people...

You make him sound like Tank Tyler. No doubt he has potential, but anyone expecting anything from him this year is truly wishful thinking. Early reports make it sound like the guy was too stupid to come to camp in shape.

Just Passin' By
07-30-2011, 07:14 PM
The same franchise ALSO retained a former #1 overall pick with a career QB rating of 72.1.

Yes, they felt Alex Smith + contract was more of a positive for the team than Franklin + contract.

That's not exactly a glowing endorsement of Franklin.

Titty Meat
07-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Last few years since coming off a microfracture surgery?

Wasn't that surgery after the '09 season?

Sounds like rationalization to me.

08. Looks like 09' was a great year but took a huge step back last year. I'm still a bit concerned. I don't think it's a bad signing by any means but at the same time I don't think he's going to be the reason teams won't run up the middle.

Titty Meat
07-30-2011, 07:23 PM
Yes, they felt Alex Smith + contract was more of a positive for the team than Franklin + contract.

What? So you can say the same about

Dashon Gholston
Takeo Spikes
David Baas
Etc.

milkman
07-30-2011, 07:27 PM

Not on the Franklin bandwagon, but that is more reflective of the fact that the 9ers have absolute crap at QB than is is on the state of the NT situation.

Just Passin' By
07-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Not on the Franklin bandwagon, but that is more reflective of the fact that the 9ers have absolute crap at QB than is is on the state of the NT situation.

Sure, but I'm not the one who brought up the QB to start with.

NT, as people here can attest to, is very important in the 3-4. Despite that, the 49ers are letting this guy walk. That's not proof that Franklin's a stiff or anything, but it says something about the guy, at least from San Francisco's perspective.

kysirsoze
07-30-2011, 07:33 PM

As unsure as I am about Cassel's future here, I don't know how 49ers fans deal with going into another season with Alex Smith at the helm. :doh!:

milkman
07-30-2011, 07:34 PM
As unsure as I am about Cassel's future here, I don't know how 49ers fans deal with going into another season with Alex Smith at the helm. :doh!:

I believe it's called "weeping".

chiefzilla1501
07-30-2011, 07:35 PM
What you are ignoring is that he got a 7 million dollar payday last year. Some guys, when they get millions, go lazy.

Franklin didn't go totally lazy, but he wasn't the player he was in 2009. It wasn't even close. The 49ers know that, that's why they want to go with an unproven NT to replace him.

But again...
Was Franklin a worse player in 2010 because he quit?
Or was he a worse player because he held out of training camp?

I think there's more than a compelling case that it was a latter, given that most players struggle when they miss an entier offseason.

milkman
07-30-2011, 07:36 PM
Sure, but I'm not the one who brought up the QB to start with.

NT, as people here can attest to, is very important in the 3-4. Despite that, the 49ers are letting this guy walk. That's not proof that Franklin's a stiff or anything, but it says something about the guy, at least from San Francisco's perspective.

I get that, but I think it's a poor comparison.

Franklin is a better option at NT than Smith is at QB.

But this only speaks to the fact that they have other options at NT while having none at QB.

Just Passin' By
07-30-2011, 07:36 PM

Caltrain to use cameras as suicides rise
July 04, 2011|By Phillip Matier and Andrew Ross, Chronicle Columnist

http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-07-04/bay-area/29734769_1_suicides-rise-caltrain-camera-contract

Just Passin' By
07-30-2011, 07:37 PM
I get that, but I think it's a poor comparison.

Franklin is a better option at NT than Smith is at QB.

But this only speaks to the fact that they have other options at NT while having none at QB.

SF's basically going with an unproven guy at the spot. I don't see that being much different. Different takes, and all that.

chiefzilla1501
07-30-2011, 07:47 PM
But again...
Was Franklin a worse player in 2010 because he quit?
Or was he a worse player because he held out of training camp?

I think there's more than a compelling case that it was a latter, given that most players struggle when they miss an entier offseason.

Also... every player gave up on Mike Singletary. The guy was a nutjob.

So Franklin missed training camp and played under a shitty coach.

I think he could come into KC and be a totally different player. When he wants to be, he's one of the better NTs in the game.

I would be overjoyed if the Chiefs signed Franklin and used Gregg as a rotational guy between Nose and 5-technique.

The Bad Guy
07-30-2011, 07:53 PM
Also... every player gave up on Mike Singletary. The guy was a nutjob.

So Franklin missed training camp and played under a shitty coach.

I think he could come into KC and be a totally different player. When he wants to be, he's one of the better NTs in the game.

I would be overjoyed if the Chiefs signed Franklin and used Gregg as a rotational guy between Nose and 5-technique.

Why is it so hard for you to believe that the guy came in out of shape after getting his franchise tender, got the first big payday of his career, and didn't play real well toward the end of the year? I'm sure it's just a coincidence that he played his best football when he was in line to get paid.

Saying he quit on the head coach that everyone quit on (which is more bullshit, I didn't see Spikes, Willis, Justin Smith, Vernon Davis, or Frank Gore quit) is a complete joke.

chiefzilla1501
07-30-2011, 08:01 PM
Why is it so hard for you to believe that the guy came in out of shape after getting his franchise tender, got the first big payday of his career, and didn't play real well toward the end of the year? I'm sure it's just a coincidence that he played his best football when he was in line to get paid.

Saying he quit on the head coach that everyone quit on (which is more bullshit, I didn't see Spikes, Willis, Justin Smith, Vernon Davis, or Frank Gore quit) is a complete joke.

Why is it hard to discount that he, like most holdouts in the history of the game, struggled a bit because he missed training camp?

Holdouts almost always come to camp out of shape, even if they made a conscious effort to be in shape. I'm not saying it's the case. I'm saying it's a more than reasonable explanation.

kysirsoze
07-30-2011, 08:38 PM
http://articles.sfgate.com/2011-07-04/bay-area/29734769_1_suicides-rise-caltrain-camera-contract

LMAO

HemiEd
07-30-2011, 08:49 PM
They think Powe can grow into it. Gregg will be a great mentor.

Guy is durable - missed a full season once in 2008, but outside of that, he's only missed 4 games since 2002.

Gregg absolutely shitbeat our offensive line in that playoff game. It will be nice having a big time run stopper in the middle.

He can also recruit McClain.

This has been a great day! Now this! I can't wait until tomorrow!

michaelj_58
07-31-2011, 07:33 AM
yeah did franklin sign elswhere????????

RealSNR
07-31-2011, 08:26 AM
Why is it hard to discount that he, like most holdouts in the history of the game, struggled a bit because he missed training camp? I can't remember a single guy in the past 10 years who held out on his contract and sucked complete ass because he missed training camp

tyton75
07-31-2011, 08:28 AM
we need a RT more than we need another DE/NT

The Bad Guy
07-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Why is it hard to discount that he, like most holdouts in the history of the game, struggled a bit because he missed training camp?

Holdouts almost always come to camp out of shape, even if they made a conscious effort to be in shape. I'm not saying it's the case. I'm saying it's a more than reasonable explanation.

I'm waiting for you to show me more evidence that everyone on the 49ers quit.

The Bad Guy
07-31-2011, 09:02 AM
Ravensinsider on Twitter said that Gregg had offers from the Jets and to go back to the Ravens. Decided to come here.

OnTheWarpath15
07-31-2011, 09:04 AM
Ravensinsider on Twitter said that Gregg had offers from the Jets and to go back to the Ravens. Decided to come here.

Not surprising.

He's a starter here, and a role player for the Jets and Ravens.

Chiefshrink
07-31-2011, 08:41 PM
Guy is one of the best run stopping NT's in the entire league. 100x better than Ron Edwards.

I'm a huge fan of this signing.

Let's hope. I heard Rex Ryan still wanted him so he must still have some in the tank:thumb:

J Diddy
07-31-2011, 08:49 PM
Powe is the key. Thats it.

We're dependent on him to be our NT of the future.

Out of this draft hts the guy I'm most excited about and most hopeful for success.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

RealSNR
07-31-2011, 09:02 PM
Not surprising.

He's a starter here, and a role player for the Jets and Ravens.Who plays nose for the Jets?

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 09:03 PM
I'm waiting for you to show me more evidence that everyone on the 49ers quit.

Not everyone on the 49ers quit. Of course you're not going to get guys like Patrick Willis and Frank Gore to quit. But sorry, the 49ers I saw, didn't lose games just because Jimmy Raye is an idiot. They were sloppy as hell, making a ton of sloppy mistakes a disciplined defense doesn't make. It was clumsy.

Call it quitting. Call it being sloppy. I think they're the same thing. Aubrayo wasn't even CLOSE to being the only guy on defense who stopped playing at a high level in 2010.

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 09:09 PM
I can't remember a single guy in the past 10 years who held out on his contract and sucked complete ass because he missed training camp

Seriously?

Revis took how many weeks to get close to his form
Steven Jackson injured in 2008
Keenan McCardell
Apart from one big game in 2010, Vincent Jackson was very average
Larry Johnson

Yeah, some experienced veterans like Favre and TO manage to slip back in seamlessly. But most holdouts need training camp/offseason to get into football shape and get into the swing of things. I thought that was pretty much common knowledge.

RealSNR
07-31-2011, 09:10 PM
Seriously?

Revis took how many weeks to get close to his form
Steven Jackson injured in 2008
Keenan McCardell
Apart from one big game in 2010, Vincent Jackson was very average
Larry Johnson

Yeah, some experienced veterans like Favre and TO manage to slip back in seamlessly. But most holdouts need training camp/offseason to get into football shape and get into the swing of things. I thought that was pretty much common knowledge.You're assuming it's because they missed training camp that they started sucking. That's not necessarily the case.

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 09:12 PM
You're assuming it's because they missed training camp that they started sucking. That's not necessarily the case.

Not being in football shape is a COMMON complaint when people talk about a player holding out. Read any article talking about the lockout and how they were afraid players were going to get injured at a higher rate and play much sloppier football to start the season.

No matter how hard you condition, you can't replicate football conditions. It's common knowledge that it takes you about a month to get into football shape, and most players overstrain themselves from trying to catch up because they're not eased into the game the way most players are.

milkman
07-31-2011, 09:18 PM
Who plays nose for the Jets?

Sione Pouha.

And I'd take him before Franklin.

booger
07-31-2011, 09:23 PM
Kelly Gregg: 'I feel like a rookie again'
by Aaron Wilson of Scout.com, July 31, 2011 at 8:18 am ET

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Gritty veteran nose guard Kelly Gregg officially left the Ravens after over a decade in Baltimore with no regrets, just rich memories after signing a one-year contract with the Kansas City Chiefs.

The Ravens tried to hold onto Gregg after cutting him Thursday due to his $3.5 million scheduled salary, offering him $1.5 million to return.

However, the 34-year-old received a $1 million signing bonus from the Chiefs in addition to a significantly higher overall financial package than what Baltimore was offering. The Ravens are going with former Alabama consensus All-American Terrence Cody as their new starting nose guard.

In a telephone interview late Saturday night from the Chiefs' training camp in St. Joseph, Mo., Gregg reflected on his time in Baltimore where he became a popular figure in the locker room and with the fan base.

"The fans were great, I enjoyed every minute of my time there," Gregg said. "Yeah, it was a happy time. They were always great. I'm thankful for the Ravens. They stepped up and gave me a shot. I'm thankful to Ozzie Newsome. I have a lot of great relationships in Baltimore. I wish them the best."

Gregg confirmed that New York Jets coach Rex Ryan, his defensive coordinator and defensive line coach in Baltimore who also coached him at Oklahoma, contacted him once he became a free agent. However, geography played a part in Gregg's decision due to Kansas City's proximity to his Oklahoma home.

"Oh yeah, I heard from the Jets, but this is the perfect opportunity," Gregg said. "It's an hour-flight from my house in Oklahoma and this is an up-and-coming team. I'll be working with a good rookie in Jerrell Powe and he looks like he's going to be a player.

"It's a fresh start. I can get in a groove. It starts all over again. I feel like a rookie again."

Under NFL rules regarding unrestricted free agents, Gregg can't practice until Aug. 4. However, he can attend meetings and practices.

Gregg was one of the most productive interior defensive linemen in the league over the past decade. He started every game last season, but dropped to 38 tackles and didn't have a sack for the first time since 2002.

"I did my job, I went about my business with hard work," said Gregg, who had microfracture knee surgery in 2008. "You bet, we had some good defenses. It was a lot of fun playing. There ain't nothing to regret. I had a great ride. I'll never forget when the Ravens cut Rob Burnett.

"This is how the NFL goes. I was in shock when they cut me, but it happens to everybody some day. I was on the other end of it when big Sam Adams left, Michael McCrary, Lional Dalton. I've been on both sides of the fence."

How will Cody fare as Gregg's replacement?

"Terrence is a hell of a player," Gregg said. "I think he's going to do fine. He got off to a rough start last year, but the sky's the limit for him. He puts the time in. He's built for that position. He can be a leader."

A former prep championship heavyweight wrestler, Gregg overcame his underdog status and doubters to forge a long career in the NFL.

When he was initially signed by the Ravens at Ryan's suggestion, former Baltimore coach Brian Billick's first reaction was to joke with Ryan about whether Gregg was related to Ryan out of wedlock. The 6-foot, 320-pounder's play outspanned his size, recording 19 1/2 sacks.

Signing Gregg worked out, though, as he anchored the middle of the Ravens' defense for the past 11 years.

"Don't let anybody tell you that you can't do nothing," Gregg said. "If I can make it, then anybody can make it."

Follow me on Twitter: @RavensInsider
http://profootball.scout.com/a.z?s=127&p=9&c=2&cid=1090761&nid=5749139&fhn=1

RealSNR
07-31-2011, 09:55 PM
WHY DIDN'T WE SIGN FRANKLIN????? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 10:05 PM
WHY DIDN'T WE SIGN FRANKLIN????? OH THE HUMANITY!!!!

I'm not going to get butthurt over not signing Franklin. I'm more than happy with Gregg.

I just think it's a financial risk worth taking and I don't like the fact that if Powe is anything but a stud Nose Tackle, we have to do this whole Nose Tackle search all over again in 2011.

Not to mention there's no guarantee that Gregg at 35 is going to still play at a high level. I think Newsome knows when to cut a guy loose.

Franklin is expensive insurance at a position that's critical in importance.

KCrockaholic
07-31-2011, 10:11 PM
I'm not going to get butthurt over not signing Franklin. I'm more than happy with Gregg.

I just think it's a financial risk worth taking and I don't like the fact that if Powe is anything but a stud Nose Tackle, we have to do this whole Nose Tackle search all over again in 2011.

Not to mention there's no guarantee that Gregg at 35 is going to still play at a high level. I think Newsome knows when to cut a guy loose.

Franklin is expensive insurance at a position that's critical in importance.

You're going to base how good Powe is off whether or not he's a stud nose tackle his rookie year? Seems a bit unreasonable.

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 10:20 PM
You're going to base how good Powe is off whether or not he's a stud nose tackle his rookie year? Seems a bit unreasonable.

That's the thing.

I think Powe is reasonably going to take 2-3 years to develop. Which is why I'd rather have a guy like Franklin, who you can keep on your roster for 2-3 years while you develop Powe, than a guy like Gregg--a 35 year old guy who you only have for one year. Yeah, you can keep extending Gregg, but that's not something I want to do at his age.

That's why I like the idea of adding Franklin even though we have Gregg. The team is basically banking on Powe being a full-time starter by 2012.

MoreLemonPledge
07-31-2011, 10:22 PM

NO HE'S EXPECTED TO DO GREAT THINGS AND GO TO THE PRO BOWL THIS YEAR

/cp

kysirsoze
07-31-2011, 10:25 PM
That's the thing.

I think Powe is reasonably going to take 2-3 years to develop. Which is why I'd rather have a guy like Franklin, who you can keep on your roster for 2-3 years while you develop Powe, than a guy like Gregg--a 35 year old guy who you only have for one year. Yeah, you can keep extending Gregg, but that's not something I want to do at his age.

That's why I like the idea of adding Franklin even though we have Gregg. The team is basically banking on Powe being a full-time starter by 2012.

Cody is ready after one year at back up. Maybe Pioli thinks Powe is that level of talent. Risky perhaps, but possible. Plus there's Toribio. He's under the radar, for sure, but they seem to think he's going to be a contributor.

Dave Lane
07-31-2011, 10:32 PM
NO HE'S EXPECTED TO DO GREAT THINGS AND GO TO THE PRO BOWL THIS YEAR

/cp

No excuses!

xztop12
07-31-2011, 10:36 PM
Do you think the Jets were interested in Gregg as their starting 1/2nd down DT? That's impressive if its the case.

FD
07-31-2011, 10:37 PM
Do you think the Jets were interested in Gregg as their starting 1/2nd down DT? That's impressive if its the case.

Kris Jenkins retired, leaving them a little thin.

xztop12
07-31-2011, 10:38 PM
That's the thing.

Which tells me that Pioli had a really firm grasp on this years draft if he felt so comfortable knowing that was the guy he wanted, yet letting him slip down until the 6th round

Frankie
07-31-2011, 10:40 PM
can't blame the 49ers for being wary ... i think every good year of Franklins was a contract year.

for a Dlineman that can be a disaster of Dan Williams/Chester McGlockton proportions

That's my leaning as well.

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 10:41 PM
Which tells me that Pioli had a really firm grasp on this years draft if he felt so comfortable knowing that was the guy he wanted, yet letting him slip down until the 6th round

It could be. But I think expecting any Nose Tackle to be ready by year 2, especially one that fell that low, is asking a bit much. I actually like Powe. But I think a guy like Franklin buys him more time to develop.

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Cody is ready after one year at back up. Maybe Pioli thinks Powe is that level of talent. Risky perhaps, but possible. Plus there's Toribio. He's under the radar, for sure, but they seem to think he's going to be a contributor.

Certainly a possibility. Again, it could turn out we have the right young guys on the roster already. But if you bring in a guy like Gregg, you better hope that one of those guys currently on the roster is ready to start full time by 2012.

tk13
07-31-2011, 10:43 PM
That's the thing.

I think it's a bit early to make predictions about 2012. It's not like there won't be a next offseason. I know I shouldn't compare everything to the Pats... but they signed Ted Washington at 35, kept him for one year, then drafted Wilfork in the next draft.

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 10:47 PM
I think it's a bit early to make predictions about 2012. It's not like there won't be a next offseason. I know I shouldn't compare everything to the Pats... but they signed Ted Washington at 35, kept him for one year, then drafted Wilfork in the next draft.

I don't think it's too soon to be thinking about 2012. With a Nose Tackle, you want a year or two to groom even a young guy. And you're probably not going to get a ton of stud free agents hitting the free agent market.

If Gregg starts to show his age and Torribio/Powe aren't ready by 2012, we're back to square 1. And there's a very distinct possibility of that happening.

Frankie
07-31-2011, 10:52 PM
".... I'll be working with a good rookie in Jerrell Powe and he looks like he's going to be a player.

The best part of the article. I like his positive view of Powe, but more so I like this line because it speaks to his willingness to be a mentor to him.

RealSNR
07-31-2011, 11:32 PM
I don't think it's too soon to be thinking about 2012. With a Nose Tackle, you want a year or two to groom even a young guy. And you're probably not going to get a ton of stud free agents hitting the free agent market.

If Gregg starts to show his age and Torribio/Powe aren't ready by 2012, we're back to square 1. And there's a very distinct possibility of that happening.If Gregg starts to show his age...

If Jackson actually is a bust and can't perform his role...

If Cassel withers against good defenses...

If Charles gets injured...

If nobody steps up at the vacant OLB spot...

If Tebow gets frustrated from sucking and decides to call in the Rapture and we all die...

It's just you act like Franklin could have been a Wilfork for us. And from what I've seen out of him, that looked very doubtful. The truth is we signed the best NT on the free agent market, age issues or not. Period. That's good enough for me.

And hey if we REALLY get fucked by this, there's always the draft. Maybe somebody better than Phil Taylor will actually show up this time around.

chiefzilla1501
07-31-2011, 11:45 PM
If Gregg starts to show his age...

If Tebow gets frustrated from sucking and decides to call in the Rapture and we all die...

It's just you act like Franklin could have been a Wilfork for us. And from what I've seen out of him, that looked very doubtful. The truth is we signed the best NT on the free agent market, age issues or not. Period. That's good enough for me.

And hey if we REALLY get ****ed by this, there's always the draft. Maybe somebody better than Phil Taylor will actually show up this time around.

The difference being that in this case, you have a clear option, and it's an option that's not going to kill your long-term cap. It's going to cost you a lot upfront, but not long-term. I'm not comfortable with Cassel either. But I recognize there aren't many alternatives.

The "if" on Gregg is a huge one. We're assuming Baltimore forgot about his age or that his 35 year old age isn't going to affect his play. The "if" on Powe/Torribio is a huge one, because we've never seen them play, NTs typically take 2-3 years to develop, and they weren't highly selected in the draft.

And I never said Franklin will be Wilfork. I know he comes with a great deal of risk. I'm saying it's a risk worth taking because I think Franklin will be in this league 2-3 years from now, whereas Gregg that's doubtful. I'm surprised people are this outright against bringing Franklin in. If the Chiefs spend $8M against this year's cap (which we have a shitload of) on a guy who underperforms, you start Gregg full-time at NT. What's the harm in that?

RealSNR
07-31-2011, 11:55 PM
The difference being that in this case, you have a clear option, and it's an option that's not going to kill your long-term cap. It's going to cost you a lot upfront, but not long-term. I'm not comfortable with Cassel either. But I recognize there aren't many alternatives.

The "if" on Gregg is a huge one. We're assuming Baltimore forgot about his age or that his 35 year old age isn't going to affect his play. The "if" on Powe/Torribio is a huge one, because we've never seen them play, NTs typically take 2-3 years to develop, and they weren't highly selected in the draft.

And I never said Franklin will be Wilfork. I know he comes with a great deal of risk. I'm saying it's a risk worth taking because I think Franklin will be in this league 2-3 years from now, whereas Gregg that's doubtful. I'm surprised people are this outright against bringing Franklin in. If the Chiefs spend $8M against this year's cap (which we have a shitload of) on a guy who underperforms, you start Gregg full-time at NT. What's the harm in that?So we brought in Gregg to stand in for Franklin for a year, who will then start at nose until we know if Toribio/Powe are starting material.

I just don't see the risk. If Gregg is deteriorating at an alarming pace, then who cares? What's he going to do? Play worse than Ron Edwards? No chance of that happening.

That's the thing about player development. Sometimes it doesn't go your way. Hell, we're only just NOW filling a hole we've had at Center since 2007, and that's all because we found out the hard way that Niswanger wasn't the answer. Then look at all the WRs we've kept on board for years waiting for them to turn into something special.

But then look at our linebackers and defensive backs. And our RBs, hot damn! Hell, even our DEs. That's what happens when player development works for you. And that's how you build teams. You have to trust your coaches to take the players you've got and make them work. Otherwise you get the Redskins/Cowboys-- teams of perpetual suck because there is no foundation.

chiefzilla1501
08-01-2011, 12:15 AM
So we brought in Gregg to stand in for Franklin for a year, who will then start at nose until we know if Toribio/Powe are starting material.

I just don't see the risk. If Gregg is deteriorating at an alarming pace, then who cares? What's he going to do? Play worse than Ron Edwards? No chance of that happening.

That's the thing about player development. Sometimes it doesn't go your way. Hell, we're only just NOW filling a hole we've had at Center since 2007, and that's all because we found out the hard way that Niswanger wasn't the answer. Then look at all the WRs we've kept on board for years waiting for them to turn into something special.

But then look at our linebackers and defensive backs. And our RBs, hot damn! Hell, even our DEs. That's what happens when player development works for you. And that's how you build teams. You have to trust your coaches to take the players you've got and make them work. Otherwise you get the Redskins/Cowboys-- teams of perpetual suck because there is no foundation.

You can't compare the NT position to 5-techs, LBs, RBs, or Centers. You HAVE to get the Nose Tackle position right. It's the most important position on the defense. If you have a problem at ILB or 5-technique, you can still have a dominant defense. Not so with a problem at Nose Tackle. That's like saying the team can get by with an average QB because they got by with an average LB.

Aubrayo Franklin does nothing to stunt development of Powe because Franklin is only a 3-year fix anyway. Less if Powe develops faster than expected--then you just cut Franklin loose. What Franklin does is it gives you a backup plan if Powe isn't the guy or develops slower than expected.

Again, the Franklin signing still makes sense. You'd have Gregg pushing TWO positions. He pushes Franklin to play better at NT, and he pushes Tyson Jackson to play better, because he's a very good player that can play either of those positions. If Jackson or Franklin are not starter material, Gregg will be. If Jackson and Franklin play terrific, then Gregg is quality depth, which you need anyway. It's a win-win.

Micjones
08-01-2011, 12:32 AM
I'm hoping like Hell Franklin is still on the FO's radar.

Quesadilla Joe
08-01-2011, 06:52 AM
• If Kelly Gregg is healthy, the Chiefs have themselves a heck of a run-stuffing defensive tackle.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/08/01/camps/index.html

Just something I saw while reading MMQB....

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-12-2011, 08:21 AM
lol we signed a wash up gregg nice job scott

Washed up

58-4ever
09-12-2011, 08:42 AM
We seem to have collected a lot of washed up Ravens trash.

ShowtimeSBMVP
09-12-2011, 08:46 AM
We seem to have collected a lot of washed up Ravens trash.

Bargain Shopping

banyon
09-18-2011, 03:13 PM
where has this guy been?

0 tackles

(thought with all of the cassel hate, might want to spread it around a little)

MIAdragon
09-18-2011, 03:14 PM
where has this guy been?

0 tackles

getting pushed around.

Stanley Nickels
09-18-2011, 03:18 PM
He's missed or whiffed on a TON of easy tackles, too.

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-13-2011, 11:24 PM
lol chiefs signed a washed up gregg nice job scott

Bump lol

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-13-2011, 11:25 PM
You know, at first I applauded your efforts with the Twitter updates, but it's become more apparent that you know just about next to nothing about football.

Gregg completely kicked the shit out of the Chiefs in the playoff game.

You are probably pissed we didn't sign Franklin to a 5 year deal, right? The 31 year old who has had about 2 good seasons in his life.

Gregg is the perfect fit for this defense. No risk signing for a guy who will tremendously help our run D.

Still feel this way?

KCrockaholic
11-13-2011, 11:35 PM

Holy fuck....

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-13-2011, 11:38 PM
Holy ****....

He was spot on.

TEX
11-13-2011, 11:39 PM
Still feel this way?

:doh!: Exactly. All who said this guy was done got called "non fans" by most of the idiots here who thought this was a good signing for the Chiefs. Just another bad decision this past offseason.

TEX
11-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Bargain Shopping

Translation - Patriot Way WITHOUT all the Super Bowls...

aturnis
11-13-2011, 11:45 PM

Except Gregg has been solid more often than not. Today is not on him. Who knew what to expect today? We don't have much tape to work from, especially not what they were doing today.

Also, Jackson is not a bust, he's not #3 talented, but not a bust.

Frankie
11-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Translation - Patriot Way WITHOUT all the Super Bowls...

I wonder how "Patriot Way" would have worked if they hadn't lucked into Brady? :hmmm:

TEX
11-13-2011, 11:47 PM
Except Gregg has been solid more often than not. Today is not on him. Who knew what to expect today? We don't have much tape to work from, especially not what they were doing today.

Gregg solid more than not? Really? When?
TJ is a BUST for the # 3 pick. You expect a game-changer and at the very last a solid starter there. He is neither.

RealSNR
11-14-2011, 12:55 AM
Umm... so my post is from 3 months ago, and it needs some context:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=7791877&postcount=307

aturnis
11-14-2011, 01:16 AM
TJ is a BUST for the # 3 pick. You expect a game-changer and at the very last a solid starter there. He is neither.

Outside of Buffalo, Oakland and Denver, the run defense has been pretty solid. I'm not really upset that Fred Jackson, the Raiders and an offense we couldn't be ready for ran the ball on us.

Titty Meat
11-14-2011, 02:21 AM
What a surprise Gregg sucks.

NJChiefsFan
11-14-2011, 02:27 AM

Did you actually read what he said about TJ and the 3rd pick. You went on to say exactly what he had talked about. Nobody thinks he was worth the pick. He is on the team and as far as helping the team, outside of the context of the pick, he has helped this season. The problem with this defense is having a NT to help the DE's and a pass rush opposite Tamba. Oh, and getting Berry back.

Dorsey and Jackson haven't lived up the the hype but if you are looking at it as do they help the team instead of are they top 5 picks its a completely different story. You can't have 3 average guys on the Dline though. Somebody has to be elite and adding Gregg didn't do that.

Gregg has been decent some games, him being bad some doesn't change that. We need a NT though because good or not he obviously isn't helping us in the future.

DJ's left nut
11-14-2011, 09:29 AM

So let me get this straight: We just got our shit pushed in by a team that did nothing but openly and obviously run the ball right at us, generally up the middle.

And somehow neither our NT or our DEs are actually bad players?

Jesus - that game was pathetic and a clear indictment on both Gregg and Jackson, as well as enough proof for me to let Dorsey's ass walk as well. Those guys get absolutely no push at all in the pass game but we hear people defend them because "they're so good against the run...."

Even if they were that good against the run, the fact that they're complete non-factors against the pass is enough to let them go. And the fact that they're actually pretty damn mediocre against the run to boot just caps it.

Virtually every down lineman on this team represents a weakness in the role they are asked to play. Whether it is Gregg as a starting NT or Bailey as a primary backup; these guys simply aren't good enough. Gordon is a plus as a backup NT and Gilberry is a plus as a situational DE (even though he wasn't on the field for that long TD, IIRC), every other player is no better than okay at the job they are asked to do.

The Bad Guy
11-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Still feel this way?

Did Gregg not kill us in the playoff game?

The guy, along with the rest of our D has sucked a vast majority of this year.

At the end of the day, it's a one year deal. I'm glad you want to constantly get worked up like you have a god damn clue about the NFL outside of what you read on Twitter.

Chiefnj2
11-14-2011, 09:57 AM
Gregg doesn't suck. He's stopped a bunch of goal line TD runs. At his age, they should have someone spell him more often. Yet for some odd reason Powe sits inactive every week.

The Bad Guy
11-14-2011, 09:59 AM
I just don't see the need to get worked up over Gregg. He's on a one-year deal. They gave him next to nothing to sign.

There are far bigger problems than Kelly Gregg on this defense. Gregg will be gone next year but we are going to continue to be burdened with Dorsey and Jackson.

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-14-2011, 10:02 AM
I just don't see the need to get worked up over Gregg. He's on a one-year deal. They gave him next to nothing to sign.

There are far bigger problems than Kelly Gregg on this defense. Gregg will be gone next year but we are going to continue to be burdened with Dorsey and Jackson.

He is making 4.5 million

kysirsoze
11-14-2011, 10:03 AM
He is making 4.5 million

Who gives a fuck?

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Who gives a ****?

Just saying thats not next to nothing

The Bad Guy
11-14-2011, 10:07 AM
Just saying thats not next to nothing

It's 3.5 million. You aren't going to get a veteran established player at that position under 2.5 million.

He's been a productive guy.

Again, it's a one year contract. ONE YEAR. Go back to Twitter.

The Bad Guy
11-14-2011, 10:08 AM
And lost in all this, is who did you want to sign?

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-14-2011, 10:09 AM
It's 3.5 million. You aren't going to get a veteran established player at that position under 2.5 million.

He's been a productive guy.

Again, it's a one year contract. ONE YEAR. Go back to Twitter.

Flip flopping on gregg i love it .

ShowtimeSBMVP
11-14-2011, 10:10 AM
And lost in all this, is who did you want to sign?

Someone better then a washed up Gregg. How is that 32million under the cap now?

The Bad Guy
11-14-2011, 10:11 AM

What am I flip-flopping on?

The guy hasn't been as good as I thought he could be. Out of the options available, I'd still take Gregg at 3.5 million over Franklin and the Washington NT that got 30 mill.

You really are a mindless tool.

kysirsoze
11-14-2011, 10:12 AM

You didn't answer his question.

The Bad Guy
11-14-2011, 10:14 AM
Someone better then a washed up Gregg. How is that 32million under the cap now?

Exactly. You offer nothing. No solutions. Nothing. "Someone better than a washed up Gregg"...Way to go out on a limb.

The Bad Guy
11-14-2011, 10:16 AM
You didn't answer his question.

He never answers any questions. He just posts twitter updates and slams players because he read it from somewhere else. He doesn't watch games and form any type of opinion on his own of players.

Chiefnj2
11-14-2011, 10:22 AM
Imagine how much worse things would be if Gregg didn't become available. Pioli is lucky we have Gregg.

Frankie
11-14-2011, 10:54 AM
Did Gregg not kill us in the playoff game?

The guy, along with the rest of our D has sucked a vast majority of this year.

Time to evaluate our D-line coach?

Brock
11-14-2011, 11:03 AM
Time to evaluate our D-line coach?

It's time to reevaluate the entire coaching staff.

Frankie
11-14-2011, 11:15 AM

That is always a good idea for any team. But overall, I do not think we have a worse coaching staff than most NFL teams.

Chiefaholic
11-14-2011, 11:15 AM

Out of all the assistants, the only one that's done an outstanding job is Emmitt Thomas. I could care less if any of the remainder are retained.

RealSNR
11-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Someone better then a washed up Gregg. How is that 32million under the cap now?AUBRAYO FRANKLIN LOL???Q?!?!??///!!1111

The Franchise
11-14-2011, 11:58 AM

This.

Muir and Crennel should be gone.

Chiefaholic
11-14-2011, 12:01 PM
Gregg was brought in for one year in hope that Powe lives up to his potential. And it's hard to pin the run defense on his when TJ gets manhandled by the TE or RT in one on one blocking. KG has made some pretty impressive plays despite lack of assistance from those around him.

BoneKrusher
11-14-2011, 12:04 PM

A-Men :thumb:

philfree
11-14-2011, 12:04 PM
This.

Muir and Crennel should be gone.

Crennel has been disappointing. In todays NFL you can't just sit back and wait for the offenses to make mistakes. You have to attack the QB or the rules dictate that you'll get burnt. Even from a QB like Tebow.

BoneKrusher
11-14-2011, 12:07 PM
Crennel has been disappointing. In todays NFL you can't just sit back and wait for the offenses to make mistakes. You have to attack the QB or the rules dictate that you'll get burnt. Even from a QB like Tebow.

Exactly.

there's not a QB in the league that can hurt your team if he's laying on his ass.

i'm tired of Crennel's Bend but don't break defense.