PDA

View Full Version : Money Verizon Wireless to Charge Customers to Pay Their Bills

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 04:34 PM
Every time you sign a new contract for that latest greatest phone you open yourself up to be treated the way they want to treat you.Keep letting these bums milk you people.... Go to a contract free phone and fire these losers...

Verizon Wireless has just announced a plan that can't make its customers happy.
The nation’s largest wireless service provider will now charge its 100 million-plus customers a $2 “convenience fee” for all one-time bill payments made online or by telephone, starting Jan. 15.
“The fee will help allow us to continue to support these single bill payment options in these channels and is designed to address costs incurred by us for only those customers who choose to make single bill payments in alternate payment channels (online, mobile, telephone).”

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/29/idUS29783492220111229

Stanley Nickels
12-29-2011, 04:35 PM
Does it cost them $2 per customer, per month, to run the online/phone payment system for a month? If so, I can understand it, even if their plans are already a ripoff. If not, goodbye Verizon.

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 04:37 PM
Does it cost them $2 per customer, per month, to run the online/phone payment system for a month? If so, I can understand it, even if their plans are already a ripoff. If not, goodbye Verizon.

I had a 22% FEDEX discount with them and it was still stupid high...
Contracts need to go on phone service but that's how they prey on poor people and keep the money flowing.

Saulbadguy
12-29-2011, 04:40 PM
Only dumbasses and poor people pay that way.

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 04:40 PM

Oh, they have 100 million + customers say half of them pay online = 100 million bucks + per month...

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Only dumbasses and poor people pay that way.

What do you suggest? Mail it in ?

Saulbadguy
12-29-2011, 04:42 PM
What do you suggest? Mail it in ?

Auto pay.

sedated
12-29-2011, 04:43 PM
I had no idea processing my payment was so "inconvenient" for them.

So this fee doesn’t apply for mailing in payment?

Or is this just a ploy to force people to automate their payments, letting Verizon sneak in extra charges?

RockChalk
12-29-2011, 04:44 PM
I can't recall and I'm too lazy to dig through a bunch of threads, but what do you do for a living R8ers? (I ask this because I don't know and am curious)

sedated
12-29-2011, 04:44 PM
Auto pay.

And Verizon doesn’t offer unlimited data, so they are charging your card $2 per MB if you go over. Good luck getting that back once its paid for.

Saulbadguy
12-29-2011, 04:45 PM
And Verizon doesn’t offer unlimited data, so they are charging your card $2 per MB if you go over. Good luck getting that back once its paid for.

Solution = don't be a dumbass and go over your data cap

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 04:46 PM
I can't recall and I'm too lazy to dig through a bunch of threads, but what do you do for a living R8ers? (I ask this because I don't know and am curious)

Fedex Tractor Trailer driver

Gonzo
12-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Sprint, Verizon, AT&T... They're all a bunch of crooked asswipes. 70-120 bucks a month for a phone and plan that costs them around 10 bucks a month to operate. They're as crooked as big oil.
Posted via Mobile Device

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Solution for me is get a Nokia e71 from straight talk on craigslist activate it and then find an ATT android phone/unlock it and use the sim card...

Premium phone on straight talk for 45 bucks a month

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 04:49 PM

Ever wonder why they push you to watch games on your phone?
Video uses huge chunks of data and it's all win for them.

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 04:51 PM
Oh if you know how to jailbreak an ATT Iphone you can use it on straight talk as well..
Also there is a new to me company called simple mobile that sells just sim card, you bring your own gsm phone

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 04:53 PM
Auto pay.

This is why it's BS though, if you set up auto pay with a credit card you are exempt from the fees but why would it be cheaper to process that transaction instead of a normal online cc transaction?

12-29-2011, 05:01 PM
Only dumbasses setup autopay to a Cell phone company. Letting them have free reign to your bank account.

Saulbadguy
12-29-2011, 05:05 PM
Only dumbasses setup autopay to a Cell phone company. Letting them have free reign to your bank account.

lol, dumbass. Credit Card.

Saulbadguy
12-29-2011, 05:06 PM
This is why it's BS though, if you set up auto pay with a credit card you are exempt from the fees but why would it be cheaper to process that transaction instead of a normal online cc transaction?

Probably because people like you will try and contest the bill and be generally bitchy about it.

BossChief
12-29-2011, 05:13 PM
Oh if you know how to jailbreak an ATT Iphone you can use it on straight talk as well..
Also there is a new to me company called simple mobile that sells just sim card, you bring your own gsm phoneI had to unlock and jailbreak my iPhone 3Gs for OT to work with IWireless that costs me 50 bucks a month for unlimited talk text and web. IWireless is owned by tmobile, so most of the time I am on tmobile towers.

I can even tether my iPhone to my computer via Bluetooth and use it as a mobile hotspot.

You can do it with iPhone 4 also, but you have to cut down the sim card to fit because they went to a smaller sim card with the 4...but with a 3Gs you can't get full 3G Internet where you can with a 4 because it was made to work with other suppliers 3G source and the 3Gs was basically made for atnt.

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 05:16 PM
I had to unlock and jailbreak my iPhone 3Gs for OT to work with IWireless that costs me 50 bucks a month for unlimited talk text and web. IWireless is owned by tmobile, so most of the time I am on tmobile towers.

I can even tether my iPhone to my computer via Bluetooth and use it as a mobile hotspot.

You can do it with iPhone 4 also, but you have to cut down the sim card to fit because they went to a smaller sim card with the 4...but with a 3Gs you can't get full 3G Internet where you can with a 4 because it was made to work with other suppliers 3G source and the 3Gs was basically made for atnt.

You can get a sim cutter but keep the part you cut in case you ever want to change you can just put a piece of tape over it to make it full size again

I have the wifes ATT Iphone 3GS on straight talk and she gets 3 g on it

BryanBusby
12-29-2011, 06:07 PM
Verizon is a scam and the service was shit for me. Ended up switching to virgin mobile. Get unlimited data and text for only 25 a month.

ModSocks
12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
lol, dumbass. Credit Card.

Still dumb.

ModSocks
12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Probably because people like you will try and contest the bill and be generally bitchy about it.

And it usually works, because they usually manage to fuck it up.

RockChalk
12-29-2011, 07:42 PM
Fedex Tractor Trailer driver

Thanks. And I'm by no means judging what you do because I have a lot of respect for over the road truckers.

But based on your intricate "knowledge" of banking, finances, money, and just plain ole living in general, I would expect you to be a CEO of a Fortune 500 Company. You talk (type) with your nose up in the air to everyone on here and inform us of your superior ways and expertise. Why are you wasting such knowledge on driving a truck when you could be changing the economy?

Brock
12-29-2011, 07:47 PM
Thanks. And I'm by no means judging what you do because I have a lot of respect for over the road truckers.

But based on your intricate "knowledge" of banking, finances, money, and just plain ole living in general, I would expect you to be a CEO of a Fortune 500 Company. You talk (type) with your nose up in the air to everyone on here and inform us of your superior ways and expertise. Why are you wasting such knowledge on driving a truck when you could be changing the economy?

He lives in a trailer.

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 08:04 PM

I am a simple man dude, I have money because I don't piss it away and get value for my dollar, I have other sources of income besides Fedex... and this is the reason I don't have to work much (that and being high on the seniority list)

None of the stuff I believe needs much knowledge just common sense...

I seriously enjoy what I do and I could never be cooped up in an office, I am not rich by no means but I live well within my lifestyle and means we are very happy.

I am an average guy that went to the school of hard knocks that knows what is worthy of spending money on and what is a ripoff....

I don't knock any mans lifestyle, thats his choice, I just like to see people rely on themselves and not others in life.

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 08:05 PM
He lives in a trailer.

I have before... But it was mine

Garcia Bronco
12-29-2011, 08:07 PM
What they should do is eliminate operator payments over the phone. But that would eliminate jobs. Most likely union jobs.

RockChalk
12-29-2011, 08:07 PM
I am a simple man dude, I have money because I don't piss it away and get value for my dollar, I have other sources of income besides Fedex... and this is the reason I don't have to work much (that and being high on the seniority list)

I seriously enjoy what I do and I could never be cooped up in an office, I am not rich by no means but I live well within my lifestyle and means we are very happy.

I am an average guy that went to the school of hard knocks that knows what is worthy of spending money on and what is a ripoff....

I don't knock any mans lifestyle, thats his choice, I just like to see people rely on themselves and not others in life.

OK.

Just seems like you think your way is the only way to get through life successfully. If you truly believe what you just said there, you could do a better job demonstrating that to the board. Hell, maybe you just enjoy trolling some of the posters though.

notorious
12-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Umm, just about every company charges a fee for service like that.

Black Hills Energy charged me $3 when I had to do a phone payment because my card had expired.

Brock
12-29-2011, 08:12 PM
I have before... But it was mine

You do. Don't care if it's paid for, it's a depreciating asset.

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 08:14 PM
OK.

Just seems like you think your way is the only way to get through life successfully. If you truly believe what you just said there, you could do a better job demonstrating that to the board. Hell, maybe you just enjoy trolling some of the posters though.

I enjoy trolling....

But I also enjoy seeing people get ahead and have more disposable income to spend on their loved ones, I am 45 years old, I have seen alot of shit already in my life, I have watched alot of marriages destroyed over money. But yes I do have a large amount of cash, but it was not inherited or won in a lottery, it was all earned...

Now you are going to ask why I work and I will tell you it's because of the cheap insurance.

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 08:16 PM
You do. Don't care if it's paid for, it's a depreciating asset.

Sure was but when I bought a new house, I sold it for the balance owed, the payments were 179.99 per month for a 14x70 brand new mobile home... This was a long time ago though

You couldn't rent that cheap so it was basically a wash

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 08:30 PM
What they should do is eliminate operator payments over the phone. But that would eliminate jobs. Most likely union jobs.

Screw Unions

Dartgod
12-29-2011, 08:35 PM

And then he became a Raiders fan and fucked it all up.

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 08:38 PM
And then he became a Raiders fan and ****ed it all up.

If it's any consolation I think that if there were no such thing as the Raiders, I would probably be a Cheaps fan....

Dartgod
12-29-2011, 08:41 PM
If it's any consolation I think that if there were no such thing as the Raiders, I would probably be a Cheaps fan....
This is not going to help your campaign for DotY.

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 08:45 PM
This is not going to help your campaign for DotY.

I have enough here that hate me to win that hands down

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 08:54 PM
http://img824.imageshack.us/img824/9476/64365110.jpg

hometeam
12-29-2011, 09:02 PM
I have been dissatisfied with verizon for a while now, my contract is up in october. BUH BYE

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 09:04 PM
I have been dissatisfied with verizon for a while now, my contract is up in october. BUH BYE

Good for you... Hope you stick to it, don't let them sucker you into the latest greatest :thumb:

Saulbadguy
12-29-2011, 09:07 PM
Still dumb.

Why is it dumb? If they fuck up the bill, I will just get an adjustment on the next bill, or the $$$ refunded back to the card. The credit card bill isn't due for a month afterwards anyways.

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 09:13 PM
Why is it dumb? If they **** up the bill, I will just get an adjustment on the next bill, or the $$$ refunded back to the card. The credit card bill isn't due for a month afterwards anyways.

If you pay that credit card off every month that is good.

Hey if you are happy with Verizon, so be it, there seems to be 100 million just like you, I just think they are a rip

Saulbadguy
12-29-2011, 09:16 PM
If you pay that credit card off every month that is good.

Well, no shit.

Hell, I even see what they are going to charge my credit card several days ahead of when the card is actually charged, so there is time to dispute the bill if needed.

I don't understand why people just don't setup auto-pay to avoid having to remember to logon and pay bills...and now, a $2 service fee.

R8RFAN
12-29-2011, 09:17 PM
Well, no shit.

Thats good son.... :thumb:

munkey
12-30-2011, 08:23 AM
Their simply covering the costs associated with accepting CREDIT CARDS if you want to use it to pay your bill. Just go with an E-Check and instead...that costs 0.00

Saulbadguy
12-30-2011, 08:26 AM
About 10 years ago I did account support for Verizon wireless. 50% of my calls were "how do I use my voicemail", and the other 50% were morons who were either trying to lie to me about their bill, or too stupid to understand their bill.

petegz28
12-30-2011, 08:27 AM
Sprint, Verizon, AT&T... They're all a bunch of crooked asswipes. 70-120 bucks a month for a phone and plan that costs them around 10 bucks a month to operate. They're as crooked as big oil.
Posted via Mobile Device

There ain't no poor executives at any of those companies. That you can be sure of.

R8RFAN
12-30-2011, 08:32 AM
About 10 years ago I did account support for Verizon wireless. 50% of my calls were "how do I use my voicemail", and the other 50% were morons who were either trying to lie to me about their bill, or too stupid to understand their bill.

Did you sit in one of those little cubicles with a madonna headset on?

Saulbadguy
12-30-2011, 08:35 AM
Did you sit in one of those little cubicles with a madonna headset on?

It wasn't really a cube. A cube would have at least 3 walls. It was more like a long table, with dividers so I wasn't terribly distracted by my co-workers, but when it was slow, I could chat with them.

I quit after a few months, it sucked taint.

Buehler445
12-30-2011, 08:35 AM

LOL Nice.

R8RFAN
12-30-2011, 08:37 AM
It wasn't really a cube. A cube would have at least 3 walls. It was more like a long table, with dividers so I wasn't terribly distracted by my co-workers, but when it was slow, I could chat with them.

I quit after a few months, it sucked taint.

That would be a suckass job, I can imagine all the old folks trying to learn how to work the phone...

Saulbadguy
12-30-2011, 08:39 AM
That would be a suckass job, I can imagine all the old folks trying to learn how to work the phone...

What's worse is that we only did support for the NE region of the US. 3 separate regions: NYC, Philadelphia, and "New England".

Philly customers were by far the biggest assholes.

It was better than manual labor though...

Buehler445
12-30-2011, 08:45 AM
What's worse is that we only did support for the NE region of the US. 3 separate regions: NYC, Philadelphia, and "New England".

Philly customers were by far the biggest assholes.

It was better than manual labor though...

Yeah. I haven't done a hell of a lot of call center work, but when I was in college I got a full time job in the distance education office and during the first few days of enrollment, I took a lot of enrollment calls. It is appalling that even degree seeking students that one would think would be reasonably intelligent humans are just dumbass sacks of worthless.

Johnny Vegas
12-30-2011, 09:12 AM
huh I guess I lucked out with unlimited data when I got my iPhone from Verizon. This won't affect me so I guess I'm not mad.

Bob Dole
12-30-2011, 11:10 AM
The local utility companies here have done that for years. Which is especially obnoxious when the gas and electric companies have no local office where you can pay in person.
Posted via Mobile Device

durtyrute
12-30-2011, 11:49 AM
END THE CELLPHONE MADNESS.

It's the only way

Saulbadguy
12-30-2011, 02:27 PM
Sounds like they are scrapping this plan.

R8RFAN
12-30-2011, 02:53 PM
Yup

http://www2.wnct.com/news/2011/dec/29/2/verizon-wireless-charge-2-one-time-payment-ar-1761386/?referer=http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fbit.ly%2FrVMviY&h=MAQFKFCbLAQHFBAISZwIY3tF7tTd5jBWjtx-MrkRGl57DSQ&shorturl=http://bit.ly/rVMviY

Still too damn high though

Bump
12-30-2011, 03:16 PM
They will still get their $2, don't you worry. It just won't be public this time.

bobbything
12-30-2011, 03:27 PM
This $2 is to cover their merchant fees. In my opinion, that's just the cost of doing business. If I had to pay 2% of my total bill every time I used my debit/credit card, I'd carry cash everywhere.

I have Verizon and hate them. Their coverage sucks in my area and my bill is about 20% higher than it was with AT&T.

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 09:14 AM
Didn't want to start a new thread for this but if anyone has a GSM phone that is unlocked or jailbroken, you can now buy a sim from Straight talk (straighttalksim.com) and for 45 bucks a month you will have unlimited everything for your smart phone.

Raiderhater
02-12-2012, 10:12 AM
huh I guess I lucked out with unlimited data when I got my iPhone from Verizon. This won't affect me so I guess I'm not mad.

Luck has nothing to do with it. The data plan that is required to be purchased with any smart phone is unlimited data and email for $29.99.

If your paying for going over your data allotment with verizon it is because you are not using a smart phone.

L.A. Chieffan
02-12-2012, 11:29 AM
Luck has nothing to do with it. The data plan that is required to be purchased with any smart phone is unlimited data and email for $29.99.

If your paying for going over your data allotment with verizon it is because you are not using a smart phone.

Negative. Cancel that.

Raiderhater
02-12-2012, 11:40 AM
Negative. Cancel that.

That is the way the data plan was explained to me when I got my first smart phone. And you go on their website and look at data plans there is one specific for smart phones that clearly states unlimited. I've gone back and looked at my bills and have yet to find once where I was charged extra for going over on data. And I use data more than minutes or text.

I don't know what they are doing to f#ck you over, but I'd address it with them at once.

Garcia Bronco
02-12-2012, 11:51 AM
Every time you sign a new contract for that latest greatest phone you open yourself up to be treated the way they want to treat you.Keep letting these bums milk you people.... Go to a contract free phone and fire these losers...

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/12/29/idUS29783492220111229

LOL...the costs incurred.

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 12:38 PM
LOL...the costs incurred.

No it's called subsidizing a phone for the purpose of locking people in a contract.

If you like being a sheep then that's your option... If you can't afford to buy a phone without a contract, you probably should not be getting that phone...

J Diddy
02-12-2012, 12:46 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread for this but if anyone has a GSM phone that is unlocked or jailbroken, you can now buy a sim from Straight talk (straighttalksim.com) and for 45 bucks a month you will have unlimited everything for your smart phone.

I've got an unlimited no contract plan with tmobile and I use the samsung dart smartphone. $50 a month and I don't even have to jailbreak my phone to tether as mobile wifi is included.

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 12:50 PM
I've got an unlimited no contract plan with tmobile and I use the samsung dart smartphone. $50 a month and I don't even have to jailbreak my phone to tether as mobile wifi is included.

Any plan is good that does not include a contract.....

Chiefshrink
02-12-2012, 12:52 PM
Did you know that all of us regardless of what carrier we use pay the cell ph bill for 'parasites on welfare':roll eyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/washington-footing-cell-phone-bill-millions-low-income-202500656.html

Also we buy them a phone as well.

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Safelink/

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 12:57 PM
Did you know that all of us regardless of what carrier we use pay the cell ph bill for 'parasites on welfare':roll eyes:

http://news.yahoo.com/washington-footing-cell-phone-bill-millions-low-income-202500656.html

Also we buy them a phone as well.

https://www.safelinkwireless.com/Safelink/

I saw this.... gotta love it

jspchief
02-12-2012, 12:59 PM
No it's called subsidizing a phone for the purpose of locking people in a contract.

If you like being a sheep then that's your option... If you can't afford to buy a phone without a contract, you probably should not be getting that phone...

Breaking the contract only ends up costing you about what you saved on the phone. It's not like you're selling you soul to the devil. You save money on a phone for agreeing to keep a service you're likely to keep anyway.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-12-2012, 01:09 PM
You guys remember watching Little house on the prarie. I think we should all just appreciate having the ability to communicate around the world with absolutely no effort.

02-12-2012, 02:02 PM

Yep, I only do no contract phone plans. Net10 has been great for me as well as Virgin Mobile for my sons phone. Even the ATT GoPhones have become extremely attractive.

Saul Good
02-12-2012, 02:17 PM
I'm an idiot when it comes to phones, so I would love some help. I've got Sprint and have had it for as long as I've had a phone, but my contract is up in June. I think mine is called the Galaxy. It's a smart phone with a smaller screen and a slide out keyboard.

I love having the slide out keyboard, but people swear that you get used to not having it. If I can live without the keyboard, I'm thinking about getting the iPhone.

Here's my situation:

I don't talk on my mobile phone all that much, so minutes aren't that important.

I use it for the web a ton, so I need unlimited data.

I have my wife on my plan who doesn't talk or use the web all that much.

We both text but not excessively.

I don't care as much about the monthly cost as I do the contract. In other words, I would pay more per month to not get locked into a contract, but 2 years isn't the end of the world if I have to do it in order to save $500 on a phone.

I do want a high powered phone with a nice screen and fast connection speed.

What should I do?

LiveSteam
02-12-2012, 02:25 PM
Verizon is a scam and the service was shit for me. Ended up switching to virgin mobile. Get unlimited data and text for only 25 a month.

This.

munkey
02-12-2012, 02:40 PM
I'm an idiot when it comes to phones, so I would love some help. I've got Sprint and have had it for as long as I've had a phone, but my contract is up in June. I think mine is called the Galaxy. It's a smart phone with a smaller screen and a slide out keyboard.

I love having the slide out keyboard, but people swear that you get used to not having it. If I can live without the keyboard, I'm thinking about getting the iPhone.

Here's my situation:

I don't talk on my mobile phone all that much, so minutes aren't that important.

I don't care as much about the monthly cost as I do the contract. In other words, I would pay more per month to not get locked into a contract, but 2 years isn't the end of the world if I have to do it in order to save $500 on a phone.

What should I do?

All have different plans...I have AT&T and honestly have no complaints as the two year agreement is of no concern to me and the customer service that I've experienced has been top notch. I would call a couple providers and give them your circumstances....Just don't call verizon ;)

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 02:45 PM
Breaking the contract only ends up costing you about what you saved on the phone. It's not like you're selling you soul to the devil. You save money on a phone for agreeing to keep a service you're likely to keep anyway.

350 bucks I think it is to get out of a contract with Verizon on a smart phone

Saul Good
02-12-2012, 02:51 PM
350 bucks I think it is to get out of a contract with Verizon on a smart phone

Don't you save that much off the price of the phone on the front end?

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Here's my situation:

What should I do?

This is what I do..

I go to Craigslist and find a phone like this or similar... Must be an unlocked GSM phone or you must be able to unlock it yourself
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mob/2839988177.html

Ok then I go to http://www.straighttalksim.com/ or http://www.mysimplemobile.com/ and buy a sim card and a plan .

So now, I have a great large screen phone that is mine, No contract plus I will pay half a month that most pay for their contract plan.

A little more money up front but when you are saving 50 bucks a month on the plan it does not take long to recoup your funds

Saul Good
02-12-2012, 02:57 PM
This is what I do..

I go to Craigslist and find a phone like this or similar... Must be an unlocked GSM phone or you must be able to unlock it yourself
http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mob/2839988177.html

Ok then I go to http://www.straighttalksim.com/ or http://www.mysimplemobile.com/ and buy a sim card and a plan .

So now, I have a great large screen phone that is mine, No contract plus I will pay half a month that most pay for their contract plan.

A little more money up front but when you are saving 50 bucks a month on the plan it does not take long to recoup your funds

This is where I get confused. What does unlocking, rooting, tethering, etc. do? I understand that rooting has to do with going into the root menu and opening features or something along those lines, but what does it really mean?

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 02:58 PM

The plan is what costs you... Data on a Verizon plan is like 29.99 per month + 450 mins talk @ 39.99 then unlimited texting is another 5-10 bucks I think, then their crazy taxes and fees ... You get the picture

Straight talk 45 bucks a month unlimited talk data and text + local tax

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 02:58 PM
This is where I get confused. What does unlocking, rooting, tethering, etc. do? I understand that rooting has to do with going into the root menu and opening features or something along those lines, but what does it really mean?

Unlocking means you can use that phone with any carrier you choose, it is 100% legal

Saul Good
02-12-2012, 03:00 PM
Unlocking means you can use that phone with any carrier you choose, it is 100% legal

Does it void warranties, cause potential damage to the phone, etc.?

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 03:01 PM
Also virtually any city has mom and pop cell phone shops that will unlock and root for you for a small fee, you do not have to root a unlocked phone if you don't want too, there are a small setting app you download and you change whats called the apn settings... takes about 2 mins easy stuff

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 03:02 PM
Does it void warranties, cause potential damage to the phone, etc.?

Not if you buy it that way... The United States is about the only country that tries to lock the consumer to their provider....

Go to newegg.com and look for new unlocked GSM phones, now they will be higher there but as I said, I get all my stuff off craigslist and never had a problem.

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 03:04 PM
read that page to learn how it works

http://www.straighttalksim.com/support.php

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Go look at these people too, they have a list of phones
http://www.mysimplemobile.com/phonestore/

Saul Good
02-12-2012, 03:06 PM
It looks like there are plenty of good phones available on Craigs List. I can tell that some of them are scams, though. $250 for an unopened iPhone 4s that was "won in a sales contest" and crap like that (with no picture).

Saul Good
02-12-2012, 03:07 PM
read that page to learn how it works

http://www.straighttalksim.com/support.php

So I literally go to WalMart every month and buy another month?

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 03:09 PM

Let me back up a second... If you are a user that has to have the absolute latest greatest phone then maybe the contract thing is cheaper... Iphone 4's etc are expensive, even on craigslist 400 bucks or more but I would still pay 400 for one up front with a 50 dollar phone bill than 199 for one and pay 100 a month and have limited minutes and a contract.

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 03:10 PM
So I literally go to WalMart every month and buy another month?

You can sign up for auto refill on their site, thats what I do, they send you a text a couple days before telling you they are going to auto refill + bill you then send you one when they do it... Or you can buy 30 /90/ 365 day cards at Walmart

Saul Good
02-12-2012, 03:12 PM
The plan is what costs you... Data on a Verizon plan is like 29.99 per month + 450 mins talk @ 39.99 then unlimited texting is another 5-10 bucks I think, then their crazy taxes and fees ... You get the picture

Straight talk 45 bucks a month unlimited talk data and text + local tax

Do they have straight talk family plans?

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 03:14 PM
Do they have straight talk family plans?

No but they do have 30 dollar plans for non smart phone for like 30 a month

How many phones are you looking to go with?

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 03:16 PM
My wife has an iphone 3 on straight talk 45 bucks
I have an HTC inspire 45 bucks

Daughter has LG Optimus on Virgin Mobile 300 mins talk unlimited data & text for 25 per month don't know if they offer this now for new customers

Saul Good
02-12-2012, 03:18 PM
No but they do have 30 dollar plans for non smart phone for like 30 a month

How many phones are you looking to go with?

Just two. The situation I'm in is such that my plan costs me nothing. Ideally, I want to find a plan that puts as much of the total monthly cost onto my phone and just adds a second line for cheap. If it's $150 per month, but $130 of it is on my line, that's better than $100 per month where $50 of it is on my line (if that makes sense).

Saul Good
02-12-2012, 03:19 PM
I'm actually leaning towards just buying a phone on a secondary market and going month to month on my current plan once my contract expires.

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 03:21 PM
Just two. The situation I'm in is such that my plan costs me nothing. Ideally, I want to find a plan that puts as much of the total monthly cost onto my phone and just adds a second line for cheap. If it's $150 per month, but $130 of it is on my line, that's better than $100 per month where $50 of it is on my line (if that makes sense).

Tax writeoff?

Saul Good
02-12-2012, 03:22 PM
Tax writeoff?

No. I get reimbursed in full.

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 03:23 PM
No. I get reimbursed in full.

Hell you are probably better off with Verizon then if you don't have to get a contract

Saul Good
02-12-2012, 03:24 PM
Hell you are probably better off with Verizon then if you don't have to get a contract

I'm with Sprint now. I'd have to stay with them to not get a new contract.

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 03:25 PM
I'm with Sprint now. I'd have to stay with them to not get a new contract.

Probably cheaper overall for you to stay put without a contract.

Saul Good
02-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Probably cheaper overall for you to stay put without a contract.

Then I'm back to the decision of whether or not I want to re-up my contract and save on the phone. I guess there is no great answer for my situation.

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 03:41 PM
Then I'm back to the decision of whether or not I want to re-up my contract and save on the phone. I guess there is no great answer for my situation.

The answer is simple for me as I don't sign contracts... whats wrong with your current phone?

Saul Good
02-12-2012, 03:42 PM
The answer is simple for me as I don't sign contracts... whats wrong with your current phone?

Screen's too small. Resolution isn't very good. Battery life sucks. Locks up all the time.

R8RFAN
02-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Screen's too small. Resolution isn't very good. Battery life sucks. Locks up all the time.

You can buy one off of craigslist, just have them meet you at the sprint store so they can verify you can use it on your account

munkey
02-12-2012, 06:55 PM
When it's to good to be true...it usually is...just my .02