PDA

View Full Version : Russell Wilson

melbar
04-11-2012, 08:52 PM
Watched QB camp with Gruden and was very impressed. Would love to get him in the 3rd. I think he has potential to be special. Height is the ONLY reason he isnt top 10. Anyone else see him much?

CBSsports

Analysis
Accuracy: Was the nation's most efficient quarterback in 2011, earning a 191.78 QB rating -- over 22 points higher than the next highest rated QB from a pro-style offense (Andrew Luck) … Showcased the ability to consistently throw receivers open versus single coverage as a senior, demonstrating impressive improvement in this area from his time at NC State … Delivers a tight spiral that is easily tracked and caught. Typically hits his receivers in stride whether on zipped crossing routes, touch passes dropped over the top of defenders or line drives leading receivers out of bounds on the deep out.

Arm Strength: Arguably Wilson's most impressive trait, especially considering his lack of ideal size. Can easily make every NFL throw, showing the ability to drive the football to the sideline on a line from the opposite hash. Can send the ball 40-50 yards downfield with a flick of his wrist.

Setup/Release: Efficient set-up and delivery of the ball. Experienced taking snaps from under center and shotgun. Drops back quickly and shows good rhythm and timing despite limited experience playing with Wisconsin's receivers, planting his back foot and driving the quick slant. Has a quick, over the top release and does an excellent job of finding clear passing lanes from which to throw.

Reading Defenses: Cerebral quarterback who is rarely fooled by coverage. Makes strong pre-snap reads and demonstrated improvement as a senior in manipulating the defense with his eyes and legs. Shows good poise in a muddy pocket, stepping up to avoid the rush and challenging linebackers to either commit to stopping him from scrambling or dropping off to cover receivers behind them. Is more than willing to scramble but does a nice job of keeping his eyes downfield until the last possible second.

On The Move: Very good elusiveness and speed for the position but his most impressive trait may be his vision. Anticipates pressure well and does a nice job of forcing the defense to commit and taking advantage of the weakness exposed once they do. Very good mobility for bootlegs and roll outs, showing good accuracy and arm strength to fire passes downfield.

Intangibles: Voted a team captain at NC State and Wisconsin … Attempted 379 passes between interceptions -- the longest streak in NCAA history -- over a two year span of 13 games in 2009-10. Finished his collegiate career 30-20, including 11-3 as a senior … Wilson was drafted in the fourth round of the 2009 MLB draft by the Colorado Rockies. The second baseman hit .229 with five home runs and 26 RBIs in the Northwest and South Atlantic leagues. Wilson notified the Rockies in January 2012 that he will pursue playing in the NFL over baseball … Good bloodlines. His father, the late Harrison Wilson III, played football and baseball at Dartmouth and spent time on the San Diego Chargers' practice squad …

Nightfyre
04-11-2012, 09:14 PM
Initially, I recall watching tape on wilson and there being something particular about him I didn't like. Then I went and watched his ultimate highlights for 2011 video and I thought to myself: "Hey, he appears to have a gun and touch and stuff. But he's 5'11". Can he be Drew Brees?" I'd take a flier on him.

Bewbies
04-11-2012, 09:18 PM
The last stud QB that was short I would have liked was Seneca Wallace. He was a stud. In the NFL not so much. There is something to be said about midget QB's.

Nightfyre
04-11-2012, 09:19 PM
The last stud QB that was short I would have liked was Seneca Wallace. He was a stud. In the NFL not so much. There is something to be said about midget QB's.

I think he could be worth a shot in the late-round-dark. Call me crazy.

Bewbies
04-11-2012, 09:21 PM
I think he could be worth a shot in the late-round-dark. Call me crazy.

I might use a 7 on him. But if we are using a 7 on him it means we didn't take a QB earlier. That I don't want.

melbar
04-11-2012, 09:22 PM
I liked that he worked in 2 pro-style offenses and picked them up quickly. Gruden drew up a play and had him name the play in both terminoligies. Guy didnt even hesitate. Also, he was succesfull with a line that averaged 6ft 6. He also has a great arm and incredible accuracy.

This kid could be a steal.

Urc Burry
04-11-2012, 09:24 PM
Did you watch him at the senior bowl? I wouldn't consider him until the 7th

Bowser
04-11-2012, 09:25 PM
I brought his name up back in the fall and was immediately showered with the FUCK THAT HE SUCKS responses.

I'd definitley take a look at him in the mid rounds.

melbar
04-11-2012, 09:27 PM
I might use a 7 on him. But if we are using a 7 on him it means we didn't take a QB earlier. That I don't want.

I know he's short, but this guy had a higher QB rating than Luck by 22 pts. Its a strike, but a kid like that with character, intelligence, production, experience, and arm strength is worth a little higher investment.

Besides...he'll probably have a chip on his tiny little shoulders!

melbar
04-11-2012, 09:32 PM
Honestly, I havent seen a lot of him till recently, but in looking at several draft evaluations I'm reading that if he were 2 inches taller he would be rated higher than Luck. Thats pretty high praise, and worth a mid round look to see if he can overcome that 1 (albeit large) flaw. MOst players have a lot more problems to overcome coming in.

Urc Burry
04-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Honestly, I havent seen a lot of him till recently, but in looking at several draft evaluations I'm reading that if he were 2 inches taller he would be rated higher than Luck. Thats pretty high praise, and worth a mid round look to see if he can overcome that 1 (albeit large) flaw. MOst players have a lot more problems to overcome coming in.

If he was 2 inches taller he MIGHT be considered in the 4th.

lewdog
04-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I would rather take Wilson in the 3rd-4th than Osweiner in the 2nd.

Nightfyre
04-11-2012, 11:39 PM
I can't find any references I made to Wilson. It could be I was thinking of a post about Kellen Moore. That guy has zero chance in the NFL. I'd give Wilson an outside shot. :shrug:

melbar
04-12-2012, 12:58 AM
If he was 2 inches taller he MIGHT be considered in the 4th.

4th or 5th is where he's considered NOW. But Im sure you know more than cbs sports, lindys, Hodge, and Mayock....

out of curiosity, Which factor do you feel is holding him back? The highest QB rating in all of college fb, mastering of 2 pro systems, team leadership, above average ARM, bowl game victory, pinpoint acuracy, team captainship, best in college td to int ratio......? What exactly are you looking for here?

the Talking Can
04-12-2012, 06:53 AM

he could be 8 ft tall and not be higher rated than Luck...I'd love to know who said something so absurd...

suds79
04-12-2012, 07:14 AM
I've seen Wilson play several times. I think he has plenty of game. I think some team will be able to draft him in rounds 4 or 5.

Unfortunately I don't think he'll ever be seriously considered to be a teams #1 guy because he's 5'11. Might be stupid or unfair but that's the reality.

Even if a starter were to get hurt and Wilson goes in, a team would look to put that starter back in or draft a 6'4 QB the next year.

Basically he'll never be taken seriously.

Titty Meat
04-12-2012, 10:18 AM
Too small.

Saul Good
04-12-2012, 10:23 AM
I'm a huge fan of his, but I'd be surprised if he gets drafted at all.

Frosty
04-12-2012, 10:26 AM
If Wilson were 2 inches taller, he would still barely be 6' tall (measured under 5'11" at the Senior Bowl). I just don't see it happening.

brorth
04-12-2012, 11:09 AM
4th or 5th is where he's considered NOW. But Im sure you know more than cbs sports, lindys, Hodge, and Mayock....

out of curiosity, Which factor do you feel is holding him back? The highest QB rating in all of college fb, mastering of 2 pro systems, team leadership, above average ARM, bowl game victory, pinpoint acuracy, team captainship, best in college td to int ratio......? What exactly are you looking for here?

I don't see how anyone could root against this kid.
Discussions ad nauseam about QBs and the "it" factor.
We know Matt Cassel doesn't have "it".
Russell Wilson is freaking covered in "it".

buddha
04-12-2012, 11:43 AM
He does have "it".

Wilson's the type of guy you bring in as a FA and see if he can earn a spot. There is nothing compelling about him that would make you believe that he's going to be Drew Brees.

Nightfyre
04-12-2012, 11:46 AM
He does have "it".

Wilson's the type of guy you bring in as a FA and see if he can earn a spot. There is nothing compelling about him that would make you believe that he's going to be Drew Brees.

When I watch him, it is clear to me that he has all the tools, including between the ears, except for height. Drafting him in the fourth makes total sense to me. In fact, I think I like that plan more than drafting tannehill at 11.

buddha
04-12-2012, 12:04 PM
I'm not sold on Tannehill at all. I never have been. Perhaps that's because I've seen him play too much. Missouri used to carve that guy up every year. He has nice skills and size, but something is missing.

Fourth round is pretty high for a QB who is 5-10...he doesn't have that much IT. Just my opinion. I wouldn't be upset if we got him later than that.

Nightfyre
04-12-2012, 01:05 PM
I think the nice thing about wilson is that you wouldn't need a lot of time to develop him. Just however long it takes him to pick up the system. Plus investing a fourth doesn't preclude you from trading back in the first and picking up ammo for a first round qb next year if the gm thinks it isn't working out. I also could realisticallly see wilson starting after the bye if his height is sufficient.

melbar
04-12-2012, 01:41 PM
Hodge and schlereth pointed out that linemen in their stance are about 6 in. Shorter, and his line was averaging 6ft 6. Schlereth also pointed out Flutie was pretty small when he blockded for him in the pro bowl...
If you never give shorter guys a shot, of course there are going to be less success stories. How many size prototypes have changed in the NFL over the last 10 yrs? Just took one guy to succeed. This guy anticipates lanes well, and has all the tools to possibly overcome if given the chance.

whoman69
04-12-2012, 02:31 PM
I threw him out as a 6th a couple of months ago and got roasted for it. He was pretty poor in senior games.

Fat Elvis
04-12-2012, 02:46 PM
The guy is going to be a steal for whoever picks him up. I hope it is us.

buddha
04-13-2012, 02:42 PM
The guy is going to be a steal for whoever picks him up. I hope it is us.

A steal in what round? I promise you nobody would consider him a steal in rounds 1-3.

Fat Elvis
04-13-2012, 04:05 PM
A steal in what round? I promise you nobody would consider him a steal in rounds 1-3.

I have him going to us in RD4 in my mock.

El Jefe
04-13-2012, 04:18 PM

Truth.

Rain Man
04-13-2012, 04:30 PM
I'm already on the Wilson bandwagon. I think he's a perfect pick. Lots of potential upside if you strike, and you can get him later in the draft so there's very little cost. I'd take him before someone else does in the 4th or so, maybe even the third. Love this pick on a risk/reward basis, and I think Pioli thinks like that.

Sorter
04-13-2012, 05:13 PM
Can we just get him some taller cleats?

blazzin311
04-13-2012, 05:26 PM
Okay, I just watched some tape on Wilson after really not knowing too much about him. I'm rather impressed! He looks like a baller to me.....he's fast, accurate, a gun for an arm and has a quick release also. His only draw back seems to be that he's about 5' 10". If he were 6'1" I'd be willing to bet he would be ranked high in the first round (same with Kellen Moore who I've also liked as a late round prospect). Wilson gives you that additional running ability though.....an extra dimension from the QB position that the Chiefs haven't had in a while. In Wilson I kind of see a bit of Brees' game with comparable agility to Vick and the speed of an Aaron Rodgers. Overall not a bad combination. Question is where do you draft the guy......4th or 5th Rd. perhaps?

RealSNR
04-13-2012, 05:49 PM
Watch him against Michigan St and Ohio St.

I don't blame him for the Rose Bowl loss against Oregon, since that was more an issue of Wisconsin's defense being AIDS.

I really would have like to see Wilson turn in some clutch performances against the top schools in his conference. That would have sealed the deal for me. Now that I think about it, I'm not so sure this "it" everybody talks about is as real as they think.

RealSNR
04-13-2012, 05:52 PM
The other issue is he's already 25. In any other draft where people weren't talking about a close to goddamn 30 year old being drafted, that would be a huge mark against him. As such, many people are flat-out ignoring Wilson's age it seems like.

whoman69
04-13-2012, 06:42 PM
The other issue is he's already 25. In any other draft where people weren't talking about a close to goddamn 30 year old being drafted, that would be a huge mark against him. As such, many people are flat-out ignoring Wilson's age it seems like.

A lot of difference between a 29 year old rookie and a 25 year old. Weeden will be 29 in October. The physical peak of a QB usually ends around 34, so you're looking at a peak time of only 5 years for Weeden, and nearly a decade for Wilson.

Fat Elvis
04-13-2012, 06:59 PM
The guy is balls out on play action which would meld nicely with our RB corp. Also, he is very capable of rolling out and firing a laser. I think this really creates some problems for any defense that faces us. In this sense, his short stature plays in our favor: where is our QB and does he have the ball or did he hand it off?

You bite on the play action, and he still has the ball, you have to find him while Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin and Moeaki are are tearing up the secondary. You don't bite on the play action and he hands it off, you have HUGE running lanes for Charles and Hillis.

ChiefMojo
04-13-2012, 07:17 PM
I really like Russell Wilson. To be honest he is probably my 3rd favorite QB in the draft behind Luck and RGIII. If he was 3-4 inches taller, he would be a 1st round pick easily. He is a blast to watch!

Nightfyre
04-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Okay, I just watched some tape on Wilson after really not knowing too much about him. I'm rather impressed! He looks like a baller to me.....he's fast, accurate, a gun for an arm and has a quick release also. His only draw back seems to be that he's about 5' 10". If he were 6'1" I'd be willing to bet he would be ranked high in the first round (same with Kellen Moore who I've also liked as a late round prospect). Wilson gives you that additional running ability though.....an extra dimension from the QB position that the Chiefs haven't had in a while. In Wilson I kind of see a bit of Brees' game with comparable agility to Vick and the speed of an Aaron Rodgers. Overall not a bad combination. Question is where do you draft the guy......4th or 5th Rd. perhaps?
Kellen Moore's arm is a wet noodle. How you could even put his name and drafted in the same sentence is beyond me, let alone in the first round.

Bowser
04-13-2012, 08:27 PM

I don't blame him for the Rose Bowl loss against Oregon, since that was more an issue of Wisconsin's defense being AIDS.

I really would have like to see Wilson turn in some clutch performances against the top schools in his conference. That would have sealed the deal for me. Now that I think about it, I'm not so sure this "it" everybody talks about is as real as they think.

He planted a foot in Nebraska's ass. Now, if you want to comment on if Nebraska is a top school in their conference, then feel free.

Bewbies
04-13-2012, 09:02 PM
This guy looks up to 3rd graders. Not like respectful or anything, but because they are taller than he is.

Keep buying those Mega Millions tickets and wait for your investment to payoff.

Blick
04-13-2012, 09:47 PM

His numbers are still pretty good. :shrug:

AT Michigan State, he was 14-21(66.7%) for 223, 2 TD's and 2 INT's.

AT Ohio State, he was 20-32(62.5%) for 253, 3 TD's and 0 INT's.

Big 10 championship vs. Michigan State, he was 17-24 (70.8%) for 187, 3 TD's and 0 INT's

Now, I fully admit to not watching or remembering these games, so if there is more to be said about his performances against those teams, then I'm all ears.

His birthday (on Wiki and ESPN) is listed as November 29, 1988, which makes him 23.

buddha
04-13-2012, 11:24 PM

And besides, he's not Stanzi. Don't forget that either!?? :cuss:

blazzin311
04-14-2012, 02:35 AM
Kellen Moore's arm is a wet noodle. How you could even put his name and drafted in the same sentence is beyond me, let alone in the first round.

Obviously you have some reading comprehension problems.....never anywhere in my original post did I say I liked Kellen Moore in the first round. I clearly stated that if Wislon was two or three inches taller he'd probably be drafted in the first round or at least looked at as a first round prospect. I only compared their game a bit. Especially in the sense that they're both short, but can both game. Also maybe you haven't seen enough tape on Moore. His arm I believe will just be just fine in the NFL. He would however have to add a lot more muscle mass/ bulk as I don't think he could take some of the hits NFL QBs without getting broken in two. His arm his fine though....I've watched him make many a fine throw throughout his playing days at Boise St. and was always impressed. Also in my original post you will see that I said I like Moore as a LATE ROUND prospect (6th/ 7th rd. or UDFA perhaps)......where as I pegged Wislon in the 4th round perhaps. I think that should clear it up for you as to where I was going with the Wilson/ Moore comparison in my original post.

Thig Lyfe
04-14-2012, 10:20 AM
I want RussWil!!!! A victory for oppressed 5'11"-ers everywhere!!!

RealSNR
04-14-2012, 11:55 AM
He planted a foot in Nebraska's ass. Now, if you want to comment on if Nebraska is a top school in their conference, then feel free.Wisconsin was challenging for the Big X title WITHOUT Russell Wilson. When he signed on, this entire town lit up like a damn Christmas tree.

He ended up giving us a regular season with one more loss than Scott fucking Tolzein.

I watched the Nebraska game. Wilson was electric. I was ultra pumped for the future after watching him in that game. I also watched the Michigan State game. A game we could have won, should have won, and didn't win. Wilson stalled the offense the entire 2nd and 3rd quarter, allowing Michigan State to build up a lead. We tied it up in the 4th only to be beaten on a heartbreaking hail mary from Kirk Cousins on the last play of the game. The Badger defense was shit that game. Dog shit. But it was dog shit all year. In those situations Wilson can not let off the gas, but that's exactly what happened.

Once again, Wilson did everything he possibly could against Oregon. I understand that loss. That one was Wilson's fault as much as the Chiefs' 2003 playoff loss to the Colts was Trent Green's fault.

Anyway, I definitely won't be disappointed if we draft Wilson. I just don't want us to reach on him as high as the 4th round and place large looming expectations on the guy. He's not that QB. I don't know if he ever will be. It definitely can't hurt to find out I guess, though. For the right price.

O.city
04-14-2012, 12:02 PM
He struggled throwing it in the Senior bowl iirc. No velocity.

RealSNR
04-14-2012, 12:09 PM
Just watched the QB Camp video you're talking about. I knew Wilson was extremely bright and football smart but holy shit. This guy has the brains to be a Peyton Manning :eek:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/YmH3JhGeIU0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dave Lane
04-14-2012, 12:22 PM
OK after watching a few videos of Wilson I understand the appeal. After seeing and hearing of his horrific Senior Bowl game / week I wrote him off. Its one thing to hang a bunch of points on a team like Nebraska but when faced with talent he folded.

I think he'll be there in the 5th 6th. Size and a senior bowl collapse hurt him.

lostcause
04-14-2012, 12:26 PM
Gives me the solid career backup impression.

saphojunkie
04-14-2012, 03:26 PM
My older brother was obsessed with watching Wilson all year, and thusly forced me to watch with him.

Wilson has absolutely every tool except height. He is incredibly smart, high character, understands the offense, mobile, pocket awareness, and has an accurate CANNON.

If he were 6'3, he'd be contending RG3 for the second QB taken.

blazzin311
04-14-2012, 03:49 PM
My older brother was obsessed with watching Wilson all year, and thusly forced me to watch with him.

Wilson has absolutely every tool except height. He is incredibly smart, high character, understands the offense, mobile, pocket awareness, and has an accurate CANNON.

That's the exact same impression I get from watching a bit of tape on him. He's got all the tools except for height.....however he played behind a offensive line at Wisconsin that averaged 6'6" or taller. So really I don't know if height would be an issue for him in the NFL. Everything else is there with this kid though. Gonna be a really interesting draft weekend to say the least!

suds79
04-14-2012, 03:52 PM

Probably true. But here's the thing. Because he IS 5'11, he'll never be given a shot. If this is the QB you're hoping the Chiefs take a shot on, I think you're setting yourself up for disappointment. Particularly with Pioli. He has always liked big, tall QBs.

Honestly I don't think would matter much. There are 2 6'0 QBs in the league but those guys are the exceptions rather than the rules.

I think a Senica Wallace type of career is about the best Russel can hope for.

melbar
04-14-2012, 07:57 PM
OK after watching a few videos of Wilson I understand the appeal. After seeing and hearing of his horrific Senior Bowl game / week I wrote him off. Its one thing to hang a bunch of points on a team like Nebraska but when faced with talent he folded.

I think he'll be there in the 5th 6th. Size and a senior bowl collapse hurt him.

I think senior bowl is a little harder on QB than other positions unless you have a couple of recievers from your team to throw to. Same reason a lot of guys wait till pro- day. Reciever timing. Unfamiliar recievers who are all jacked up.

Blick
04-14-2012, 08:47 PM
I think senior bowl is a little harder on QB than other positions unless you have a couple of recievers from your team to throw to. Same reason a lot of guys wait till pro- day. Reciever timing. Unfamiliar recievers who are all jacked up.

Yeah, the Senior Bowl doesn't really mean a lot to me. It's just another thing to evaluate like the combine. I think people read too much into it.

Just do a quick google search with random years and you'll find guys like Chad Henne and yes, even Tyler Palko on the "Stock Up" list after the Senior Bowl.

Anyway, I was late to the party on Wilson, but I really like him.

Suds is probably right in that he won't be given much of a chance because of his size, and he will probably be a career backup like Seneca Wallace, which is unfortunate, because he's a hell of a lot better passer.

melbar
04-16-2012, 08:43 PM
Just watched the whole qb camp thing start to finish. Gurden calls him the steal of the draft and "guarantees" people look back later and see the beginning of a great career. If you havent watched, you should. Showed him having great comebacks only to lose to 2 hail marys and a blown ref whistle. Guys gonna be great!

Direckshun
04-16-2012, 08:45 PM
There are some extraordinarily smart QBs coming out this year.

Luck
RG3
Weeden
Cousins
Wilson
Moore

Probably a couple others I haven't looked at as in depth. But yeah, some "fall in love" candidates in the interview room.

O.city
04-16-2012, 08:48 PM
For me, Qbs in the NFL have to be exceptional at something to survive. Not good, but top shelf great.

Manning is smart and accurate. Brady has the same things with a little more arm strength. Rodgers has a cannon. Stafford has a mega cannon. Cam has talent oozing out of everywhere.

I don't see that with most of these smart qbs. I guess they bring smarts, which by all means is great but it's tough to get by on that alone.

Direckshun
04-16-2012, 08:51 PM
You guys, this QB camp is nothign compared to Kirk Cousins.

Cousins shines.

O.city
04-16-2012, 08:52 PM
Not sure if serious?

Direckshun
04-16-2012, 08:52 PM
There's no better interview on Gruden's QB camp this year than Cousins.

Not saying I want him in Red & Gold, but facts are facts.

O.city
04-16-2012, 08:54 PM
I didn't watch the interview, I did see him throwing and it wasn't pretty.

melbar
04-16-2012, 08:56 PM
For me, Qbs in the NFL have to be exceptional at something to survive. Not good, but top shelf great.

Manning is smart and accurate. Brady has the same things with a little more arm strength. Rodgers has a cannon. Stafford has a mega cannon. Cam has talent oozing out of everywhere.

I don't see that with most of these smart qbs. I guess they bring smarts, which by all means is great but it's tough to get by on that alone.

This guy had the highest QB rating in the NCAA, and the highest TD to INT percentage. He's got a great arm and known to be deadly accurate. He's a little more than just cerebral.

O.city
04-16-2012, 08:58 PM
He's short with not alot of arm strength that succeeded in a run heavy offense. I'm thinking you need to take the homer glasses off.

To me, he seems like a more athletic Chase Daniel.

melbar
04-16-2012, 09:04 PM
He's short with not alot of arm strength that succeeded in a run heavy offense. I'm thinking you need to take the homer glasses off.

I could care less about wisconsin. Every analisis of the guy says he has a cannon and can "flick" the ball 50 yards on a scramble. Second only to RG3 in this draft.

O.city
04-16-2012, 09:08 PM
He doesn't have a bad arm, but it's no Stafford. Of course, not many guys have those types of arms.

I just don't see him as being anything more than a backup.

Nightfyre
04-16-2012, 09:10 PM
From what I've seen of the Cousins interview, it wasn't nearly as good as Wilson's. And I think O City is crazy if he thinks he lacks arm strength. He routinely chucks the ball 50 yards down field and hits receivers in stride. He also can put a ball on a rope. :shrug: Further, he played behind one of the biggest lines in college football. The chiefs line is smaller. I think his high release and ability to see the field will mitigate shortness.

melbar
04-16-2012, 09:13 PM

Eager to see all of it. Cousins still doesnt have the arm, decision making or accuracy of Wilson. Great guy though.

O.city
04-16-2012, 09:15 PM
Wilson was a great college quarterback. Had a great year at Wisconsin. He played baseball in the minors iirc, he has a good arm. It's nothing really special.

He's 5 foot 10 though.

Again, I see him as a slightly more talented Chase Daniel or Troy Smith. I think he will make a good backup and possibly be a guy that starts someday.

But thats pretty unlikely.

BryanBusby
04-16-2012, 09:18 PM
Cousins is gonna be an awesome back up QB that comes in and throws checkdowns to preserve the win.

melbar
04-16-2012, 09:19 PM
From what I've seen of the Cousins interview, it wasn't nearly as good as Wilson's. And I think O City is crazy if he thinks he lacks arm strength. He routinely chucks the ball 50 yards down field and hits receivers in stride. He also can put a ball on a rope. :shrug: Further, he played behind one of the biggest lines in college football. The chiefs line is smaller. I think his high release and ability to see the field will mitigate shortness.

Exactly. Gruden was agreeing that seeing lanes, knowledge of what the defense is doing and anticipation are the keys to success.

Urc Burry
04-16-2012, 09:23 PM
Exactly. Gruden was agreeing that seeing lanes, knowledge of what the defense is doing and anticipation are the keys to success.

Being 5'10 isn't.

Nightfyre
04-16-2012, 09:26 PM
Wilson was a great college quarterback. Had a great year at Wisconsin. He played baseball in the minors iirc, he has a good arm. It's nothing really special.

He's 5 foot 10 though.

Again, I see him as a slightly more talented Chase Daniel or Troy Smith. I think he will make a good backup and possibly be a guy that starts someday.

But thats pretty unlikely.

Chase Daniels came from a pure spread system. Russell Wilson has mastered two pro-style systems in two years. Troy Smith threw with a 3/4 delivery and had a helluva windup. Troy Smith didn't read defenses, either. He just broke them down with his legs. This is why player comparisons are stupid. Evaluate each individual on his own merit.

melbar
04-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Being 5'10 isn't.

Not to split hairs, but 5' 10 7/8. Thats 1 1/8th shorter than Brees. pretty close to 5' 11

melbar
04-16-2012, 09:32 PM
Being 5'10 isn't.

Maybe I'm crazy, but "cant read defenses", "never ran a pro-offense" and "cant throw the ball 20 yards" are bigger issues.

Urc Burry
04-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Maybe I'm crazy, but "cant read defenses", "never ran a pro-offense" and "cant throw the ball 20 yards" are bigger issues.

I am not for taking a QB just to take one. We already have a project in Stanzi.

Wisconsin did a good job of covering Wilson's flaws up. Was used primarily on play action roll outs and a lot of 7 step drops. He had all day to throw quite often. That's not going to fly in the NFL.

Nightfyre
04-16-2012, 10:16 PM

Wisconsin did a good job of covering Wilson's flaws up. Was used primarily on play action roll outs and a lot of 7 step drops. He had all day to throw quite often. That's not going to fly in the NFL.

Wilson would not be a project. He would be a mid-to-late-round flyer you could plug in after the bye and see what he can do.

Urc Burry
04-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Wilson would not be a project. He would be a mid-to-late-round flyer you could plug in after the bye and see what he can do.

He wouldn't even be the 3rd best QB on our roster by midseason

Nightfyre
04-16-2012, 10:19 PM
He wouldn't even be the 3rd best QB on our roster by midseason

That's a bold claim considering his competition.

Dmello12
04-16-2012, 10:43 PM
i liked the interview but i honestly think stanzi will be a better pro than any qb that wont be picked with the first or second pick. i could be wrong but i'd rather have stanzi under center than any of these guys.

melbar
04-17-2012, 12:58 AM

HOw bout his 78 TD's at NC?

melbar
04-17-2012, 01:02 AM

Just watched Cousins QB camp. Anyone who has watched both and thinks Cousins is even in the same league is smokin crack. Half the conversation was on why he made mistakes. Got to the field and right away went to a corner throw he couldnt make during the season and he immediately missed again this time with nobody rushing.

Actually watch Russels QB camp and say that with a strait face. ;)

O.city
04-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Just caught Wilsons qb camp and watched him on ESPN.

I'm starting to change my mind on the guy. He is short, really short. He's gonna have to work his ass off to become something though.

brorth
04-17-2012, 12:26 PM
Just caught Wilsons qb camp and watched him on ESPN.

I'm starting to change my mind on the guy. He is short, really short. He's gonna have to work his ass off to become something though.

He is short, no doubt. He seems to have everything but the height.
I think the thing that I like about him is that you will know very soon whether he will be able to adjust. There wouldn't need to be a long evaluation period for him, because if he struggles with any aspect of being a pro quarterback he becomes your "wildcat" option.
We burn second round picks for smaller, less valuable players.
In a year that everyone is whooping about our FA signings and talking about the draft being icing on the cake, I don't know why someone wouldn't at least consider him in the fourth.

brorth
04-17-2012, 12:34 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/fresh-qb-camp-jon-gruden-rates-relates-2012-041553817.html

Gruden on Wilson FWIW

Russell Wilson, Wisconsin: "I think [size] is the issue with Russell Wilson. That might be the reason that he's not picked in the first couple rounds. The only issue with Russell Wilson is his height [he's 5-11]. He's got tremendous mobility. I've got him at 4.50 in the 40. He's mastered two different offensive systems. When do any of us remember a kid transferring from NC State to Wisconsin in July and breaking every Wisconsin Badger record? The Badgers could have won every game this year if not for a couple Hail Marys.
"This is a tremendous kid. His intangibles are off the charts. He walks into Wisconsin, he's a team captain. We all know what a great athlete he is. He's a high draft choice in baseball.
"The only issue is his height, and we use Drew Brees as the classic example. If you just look at one inch or an inch and a half, that's the height difference in Russell Wilson and Drew Brees. But he's got a lot of questions and answers. There are not a lot of quarterbacks under 6 feet that are playing in the NFL today or who have played the game, period. He's going to have to answer those questions. Hopefully the right guy gives him an opportunity and he takes advantage of it, because when you watch the tape, every film you watch at NC State or Wisconsin, the results are very similar. It's successful, solid, gameday competitive. It's exciting. I wish him the best. He's a special kid. I just hope he gets with the right [coaching staff]."

BigMeatballDave
04-17-2012, 01:07 PM
No.

We could probably sign Troy Smith for less.

Same player.

melbar
04-17-2012, 03:26 PM
No.

Same player.

Did troy smith have the highest QB rating in colege fb?

Nightfyre
04-17-2012, 05:16 PM
No.

Same player.
this post is retarded.

Bewbies
04-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Id take Wilson over Troy Smith everytime. Troy Smith sucks.

Blick
04-17-2012, 10:41 PM
I don't understand what people are worried about with the height issue. Batted down passes? Field vision? What's the problem? He didn't have those problems in college, and it's not like NFL linemen are significantly taller.

He has big hands too, so ball security isn't an issue.

This guy is more like Drew Brees than Troy Smith or Seneca Wallace.

brorth
04-22-2012, 07:38 AM
The more I watch video on all of the QBs who aren't going first or second, the more I hope KC is the team that gives him a chance. He's arguably the "football smartest", and his mechanics seem to be the most sound.

Saccopoo
04-22-2012, 10:22 AM
The more I watch video on all of the QBs who aren't going first or second, the more I hope KC is the team that gives him a chance. He's arguably the "football smartest", and his mechanics seem to be the most sound.

http://media.al.com/sports_impact/photo/10380368-large.jpg

This draft's Tom Brady.

He's being discounted for all the same reasons as Brady was in his draft, but all Moore did was win. His instincts and timing are damn near perfect.

milkman
04-22-2012, 10:25 AM

This draft's Tom Brady.

He's being discounted for all the same reasons as Brady was in his draft, but all Moore did was win. His instincts and timing are damn near perfect.

Tom Brady never had an arm as weak as Moore.

That is the stupidest fucking comparison I've ever seen.

Thanks for reiterating your absolute lack of sense.

I almost found myself thinking you aren't a total fucking idiot.

Just needed a little reminder.

Thanks.

Saccopoo
04-22-2012, 11:11 AM
Tom Brady never had an arm as weak as Moore.

That is the stupidest ****ing comparison I've ever seen.

Thanks for reiterating your absolute lack of sense.

I almost found myself thinking you aren't a total ****ing idiot.

Just needed a little reminder.

Thanks.

I know you don't like him, but his arm isn't as weak as you are hypothetically envisioning and his impeccable timing makes up for whatever drive on the ball he lacks.

Go back and read the pre-draft reports on Brady. They are damn near word for word as it relates to Moore.

Brady is taller, but that's about it.

And you cannot discount the ability and determination to win that Moore possesses.

That being said, I know your take on him, so we'll leave it at that.

melbar
04-22-2012, 07:35 PM

This draft's Tom Brady.

Sorry, but chubby here is short, weak arm, Funky mechanics, bad footwork, and almost all of his snaps came from the shotgun.

Other than that, almost EXACTLY like Brady...:D

Blick
04-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Moore is a guy I like too. His anticipation and ability to throw guys open makes up for his lack of arm strength.

His football intelligence is off the charts.

He probably won't be given much of a chance though.

Micjones
04-23-2012, 11:09 AM
No thanks to Wilson.
He's too short and played with GREAT parts.

Frosty
04-23-2012, 12:05 PM
I know you don't like him, but his arm isn't as weak as you are hypothetically envisioning and his impeccable timing makes up for whatever drive on the ball he lacks.

Kellen Moore makes Danny Wuerffel look like he had a cannon.

That anticipation that people talk about worked fine in college but isn't going to fly in the NFL. NFL corners will eat up those rainbows that Moore throws.

buddha
04-23-2012, 12:31 PM
Kellen Moore is more like Montana coming out of college than anybody else. Will he become another Joe Montana? Almost certainly not, but he has a lot of the same attributes.

ChiefMojo
04-23-2012, 01:28 PM
What set Montana apart than others is his feet... they were out of this world. Even with his decent arm and slight build he was able to succeed due to his extreme football IQ and his ability to move around in the pocket with such ease. Also Montana had a much better overall arm than Moore.

Moore was a excellent college QB but watching enough of his college film he scares me to death as a NFL QB. I didn't see enough of him under center and he doesn't have the arm to make all of the NFL throws the way you need him to be. He is the classic case why GM's like Pioli would never draft him. To add salt to the wound, he is a spread QB and has nothing Pro-Style about him... that is basically three strikes in one when your talking about QB's with Scott Pioli. Notice all the QB's Pioli has ever brought in or been tied to... they are all Pro-Style QB's.

Russell Wilson may not have the height but he has all the other intangibles you would want in a NFL QB. Very good arm (can make all the NFL throws with ease), high football IQ, Pro-Style QB and accurate. If Wilson were at least 6'2", he would be a top 10 pick.

buddha
04-23-2012, 01:34 PM
I don't deny any of those points, Mojo. However, Moore has excellent vision like Montana did in college. Montana got even better at that in the NFL.

The whole under center thing isn't really a worry, is it? BTW, do you notice how many spread snaps occur in the NFL these days? It's very normal, and happens on any down and distance situation.

BTW, neither Montana nor Moore had/have much of an arm. However, they make up for that in other ways.

I wouldn't mind Moore coming in as a late round pick or a FA situation. He is a very accomplished player...no denying it.

ChiefMojo
04-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Being able to come out from under center is very important in the NFL still... especially with the Chiefs under Pioli. Heck Wilson won't get drafted by the Chiefs due to his height either. Pioli likes taller QB's and probably as low as he would go is 6'2", but you better make it up with other extreme intangibles.

Moore could "possibly" succeed in some systems but he would definitely not fit or be considered by Pioli. Your more than likely going to find KC targeting bigger QB's like Osweiler or Foles before Moore.

buddha
04-23-2012, 01:45 PM
Mojo, personally I like Osweiler. I think he has a lot of upside and has a lot of ability. I recognize his warts as well. However, you can get him for a song compared to what Tannehill is going to cost and honestly I don't see much difference between the two.

ChiefMojo
04-23-2012, 01:49 PM
I totally agree and that is why I don't want Tannehill and would be perfectly cool with Osweiler in the 3rd round. With us still having Cassel (even though I don't like him being the starter), we can bring Osweiler along slower to groom him much like we are doing with Stanzi. You would hope after a year or two, either Stanzi or Osweiler would be ready to be a high quality starter. If they both work out, then you have a great trade piece to get a haul of draft picks.

The Franchise
04-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Kellen Moore is more like Montana coming out of college than anybody else. Will he become another Joe Montana? Almost certainly not, but he has a lot of the same attributes.

You're fucking stupid. Compare Moore to Montana again and I'll pay you a visit.

buddha
04-23-2012, 01:53 PM
You're ****ing stupid. Compare Moore to Montana again and I'll pay you a visit.

Learn to read, dumbass.

The Franchise
04-23-2012, 01:54 PM
I can read. You said Moore was like Montana coming out college. Not a fucking chance.

buddha
04-23-2012, 01:58 PM
I can read. You said Moore was like Montana coming out college. Not a ****ing chance.

I said they have some of the same attributes. They do.

Did you miss the part about Montana getting drafted at the end of the third round with the 82 pick? And that was when anybody from Notre Dame walked on water with NFL execs.

Moore won't go that high, but he does have excellent field vision, timing and he hits guys in stride. He's not a great prospect, but neither was Montana coming out of college. Walsh took the skinny kid and made him into something epic.

Chiefnj2
04-23-2012, 02:03 PM
Kellen Moore will be an excellent QB coach some day.

brorth
04-27-2012, 08:28 PM
Damn.

buddha
04-27-2012, 10:58 PM
Kellen Moore will be an excellent QB coach some day.

Yeah...you win 50 games in college and come back here and talk shit.

KCDC
04-28-2012, 02:12 AM
I'd take a gamble on Moore with a late pick. Better than taking a chance on Poe with the first pick.

BryanBusby
04-28-2012, 03:30 AM
I too enjoy setting draft selections on fire.

Frosty
04-28-2012, 09:40 AM
Seattle got their replacement for Seneca Wallace. There's been a big hole there since he left for the Browns.

whoman69
04-29-2012, 10:28 AM
Way too early for the pick. The level of interest in Wilson shows he probably could have gone two rounds later.

Mecca
04-29-2012, 07:14 PM
I'd to know how he has bigger hands than Tannehill does.

Chiefnj2
05-01-2012, 07:08 AM
I'd to know how he has bigger hands than Tannehill does.

10 1/4" hands, 31" arms.

Tannehill - 9" hands, 32 5/8 arms.

brorth
05-14-2012, 08:04 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7927812/pete-carroll-russell-wilson-compete-seattle-seahawks-qb-job

Russell Wilson In The Mix For Seahawks Starting QB

Adam Schefter discusses the chances of Russell Wilson winning the Seahawks starting QB job.

RENTON, Wash. -- Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Sunday that rookie quarterback Russell Wilson will compete in training camp for the starting job with Matt Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson.

Carroll made his decision after watching Wilson compete at the team's just-completed three-day rookie minicamp. The Seahawks coach said Russell took 500 snaps and threw approximately 400 passes during the three days.

"He's showed us enough," Carroll told reporters. "He's in the competition. And that is going to tax us, as you know. It was already going to be taxing with two. But he's shown us enough that we need to see where he fits in with these guys."

The Seahawks drafted Wilson out of Wisconsin in the third round of this year's draft. Flynn, a former Green Bay Packers backup, signed a three-year, $26 million contract with $10 million guaranteed earlier this offseason. Jackson started much of last season.

Carroll said deciding on a starting quarterback will be a long process.

"It's going to take us a long time to do this," he told reporters. "It's going to be frustrating for [the media]. You're going to keep asking and want to know. I'm just going to be more patient than you can imagine as we go through this process, and we'll just figure it out when we do."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Bump
05-14-2012, 08:20 PM
thats just a motivational method by Carrol. Flynn's contract dictates that he is the starter.

with that being said, I really really wish we would have drafted Wilson.

aturnis
05-14-2012, 08:58 PM
thats just a motivational method by Carrol. Flynn's contract dictates that he is the starter.

with that being said, I really really wish we would have drafted Wilson.

I'm really really glad we didn’t draft him.

BryanBusby
05-14-2012, 10:36 PM
Kinda like how Brady Quinn is in the mix

Chief Roundup
05-15-2012, 09:07 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7927812/pete-carroll-russell-wilson-compete-seattle-seahawks-qb-job

Russell Wilson In The Mix For Seahawks Starting QB

Adam Schefter discusses the chances of Russell Wilson winning the Seahawks starting QB job.

RENTON, Wash. -- Seattle Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Sunday that rookie quarterback Russell Wilson will compete in training camp for the starting job with Matt Flynn and Tarvaris Jackson.

Carroll made his decision after watching Wilson compete at the team's just-completed three-day rookie minicamp. The Seahawks coach said Russell took 500 snaps and threw approximately 400 passes during the three days.

"He's showed us enough," Carroll told reporters. "He's in the competition. And that is going to tax us, as you know. It was already going to be taxing with two. But he's shown us enough that we need to see where he fits in with these guys."

The Seahawks drafted Wilson out of Wisconsin in the third round of this year's draft. Flynn, a former Green Bay Packers backup, signed a three-year, $26 million contract with $10 million guaranteed earlier this offseason. Jackson started much of last season.

Carroll said deciding on a starting quarterback will be a long process.

"It's going to take us a long time to do this," he told reporters. "It's going to be frustrating for [the media]. You're going to keep asking and want to know. I'm just going to be more patient than you can imagine as we go through this process, and we'll just figure it out when we do."

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Shows how bad the rest of the QBs are

RealSNR
05-15-2012, 09:54 AM
That's ridiculous. Wilson would be far better off taking it easy on the bench for at least a season.

Flynn will undoubtedly start, but at least for this year he deserves a full shot at the entire thing. Unless he sucks as much as Cassel, that is.

whoman69
05-16-2012, 01:55 PM
Or maybe someone in the front office longs for the days when they had Senecca Wallace.

melbar
05-16-2012, 03:54 PM
They also said of the 400 throws he only missed 1 read. Thats pretty impressive by anyone's standard.

Saul Good
05-16-2012, 06:39 PM
Seattle is kinda weird as far as a Qb goes. 13-15 mil betrween the 3 starters? I think Carroll wants a rg3 in the next 2 drafts, and will piss off his front office to get one.

It's more than just kinda weird if they are going to start 3 QBs.

Dave Lane
05-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Drunk posting just never turns out well

jspchief
05-19-2012, 08:21 AM
Why is Tavaris Jackson in the mix?

Oh nvm. Same reason Cassel is.

ChiefMojo
05-19-2012, 11:55 AM
Anyone that has watched Wilson for any extended period of time always comes back shaking there head wondering what he would be if he was at least 6'2". Imo, if he was taller, he would push Luck/RGIII as the top QB in the class. Wilson has that "IT" factor to him and he is very good at about all facets of being a QB.

Much like Drew Brees, it wouldn't surprise me to see Wilson do extremely well in the NFL after a few years.

Joe Seahawk
05-20-2012, 11:49 PM
Dude has long arms.. :eek:

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/1128494/rw_medium.jpg

Setsuna
05-24-2012, 10:53 AM
I'm happy for him. He looks like a good kid.

ChiTown
08-27-2012, 09:05 AM
What a massive fvckup this was.

Saccopoo
08-27-2012, 11:57 PM
What a massive fvckup this was.

I don't know...I think Seattle is pretty happy about it.

Third round...that's three times the fuckup for every team in the league, not just the Chiefs.

saphojunkie
09-05-2014, 10:31 AM
I fucking hate everyone.

KC_Lee
09-05-2014, 12:54 PM
I ****ing hate everyone.

What that Donald Stephenson pick, literally right before Russel Wilson, does not excite you?

The Franchise
09-05-2014, 02:42 PM
No.

Same player.

:D

Frosty
09-05-2014, 05:03 PM
If Wilson were 2 inches taller, he would still barely be 6' tall (measured under 5'11" at the Senior Bowl). I just don't see it happening.

I was wrong here.

Kellen Moore makes Danny Wuerffel look like he had a cannon.

That anticipation that people talk about worked fine in college but isn't going to fly in the NFL. NFL corners will eat up those rainbows that Moore throws.

But not here.

carcosa
09-05-2014, 05:58 PM
This is a pretty funny thread.

carcosa
09-05-2014, 05:58 PM
If the Chiefs had drafted Wilson, I wonder if he'd still be wasting away on the bench.

Frosty
09-05-2014, 08:09 PM
If the Chiefs had drafted Wilson, I wonder if he'd still be wasting away on the bench.

At least at first he was. No way anyone was going to start over Cassel while Pioli was here. He would have thrived in Reid's system, though (imo).

Hootie
09-05-2014, 08:28 PM
he'd thrive in any system

I'd take him over Andrew Luck

Otter
09-06-2014, 01:09 AM
Drunk posting just never turns out well

What's this!?!?! The all knowing...all seeing being incorrect?!!??!

Lord have mercy!

This is an awesome bump. And this is why: Because we're the Chiefs

Bowser
09-06-2014, 04:28 PM
Pretty entertaining thread. I especially liked the part where Sacc said he would have taken Kellen Moore over Wilson.

RunKC
09-06-2014, 07:55 PM

This draft's Tom Brady.

And this is why I feel fantastic about our draft this year. Sac shit on it. :thumb:

saphojunkie
09-09-2014, 05:46 PM
he'd thrive in any system

I'd take him over Andrew Luck

He's probably going to win his second super bowl this year, so...

Yeah. Fuck it. You're not wrong.