PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Alex Smiths accuracy wowing fans

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-05-2013, 02:59 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Alex-Smiths-Accuracy-Sparks-Chiefs-Practice/e0b07a75-d486-4069-b6aa-a4b423d11a12

Alex Smith's Accuracy Sparks Chiefs Practice
Posted 1 hour ago

Reid Ferrin
Chiefs Insider

KCChiefs.com

Email @KCChiefs_Reid
aaKansas City Chiefs QB Alex Smith wowed the crowd with pinpoint throws

Kansas City Chiefs QB Alex Smith didn't care that the skies were again overcast during practice on Monday; likely because his accurate throws would've outshined the sun, had it made an appearance.

Smith was on-point, nearly perfect, unofficially completing 17 of 20 passes for three TDs during the roughly two-and-a-half hour practice.

"It’s a reflection of the group,” Smith said. “O-line was great today; it starts with them. They did a good job communicating, especially in the blitz period, third down, everybody was on the same page and then there were guys making plays outside. We got off to a good start but really, I think the spark came from the guys up-front."

Among the many pass-catchers Smith connected with on Monday, Chiefs TE Anthony Fasano continues to play at a very-high level. Smith threw to Fasano three-straight times, late in practice, including one TD.

"He's such a dependable guy, so reliable," Smith said of Fasano. "He has such a great knowledge of the game, a great feel for it, defenses and how they’re playing him and he uses his body so well. He continues to make tough catches. He’s what you’re looking for in a TE, that reliable guy that continues to be open, time after time."

Another of Smith's targets was Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe, whose best catch on Monday was a one-handed grab in 7-on-7s.

"That’s just him making me look good," Smith said. "There’s not much to it. I threw it up there and let him do the rest."

Bowe described the play from a different perspective.

"No, man," Bowe said of Smith's pass. "He put the ball right on the outside; he saw the inside leverage, and our job is to catch the ball; it happened to be a one-handed catch, but it was a great pass by Alex."

Bowe also shared how he's feeling just days away from the team's first preseason game of the year.

"I’m feeling good,” Bowe said. "We’re going against the best every day at practice, so when we get to the games, we will be ready."

Following Smith, Chiefs QB Chase Daniel stepped in Monday and continues to move the ball effectively, highlighted by his completion to a determined Chiefs TE Tony Moeaki on a third-down play in the red zone.

"Chase did a great job of getting the ball out quick," Moeaki said. "I was just trying to get the ball vertical and it was a third-down play, so getting the first down in the red zone, that’s huge. We as a TE group feel that’s where our number should be called; we’re just trying to help the team score."

Later in 11-on-11s, Chiefs QB Ricky Stanzi closed out the drill with a beauty of a throw for a TD to Chiefs rookie WR Frankie Hammond Jr.

"It was a great throw by Ricky,” Hammond Jr. said. "I kind of pinned the guy inside and he just made a great throw and I went up and got it."

Like the other Chiefs rookies, Hammond Jr. is ready and waiting for his opportunity to shine on Friday night.

"Definitely,” Hammond Jr said. "It’s just ‘lay it out all on the table’; you’ll only get so many opportunities in these preseason games, so when we get out there, we have to make the most of them and go out there and play hard."

The team played hard yet again today, which caught the eye of Chiefs head coach Andy Reid.

"Good work today," coach Reid said.

"This is our fifth day in a row of full contact and going. This is our longest stretch; we’ll have another day tomorrow. So, the guys pushed through a big red zone day today, big 3RD-and-long day today. I thought they traded back and forth, challenging each other and working hard.”

Part of the hard work paid off for the defense in 11-on-11s, when Chiefs DB Otha Foster III was in the right place at the right time for his pick-six INT.

"I was playing free," Foster III said. "The guy dragged across and the QB threw it to him, bounced off his shoulder and landed in my hands. We were going full contact, all the way, tackling to the ground and that’s why I ran it all the way back."

Foster hopes to carry the defensive momentum with him into Friday's road game against the Saints.

"I feel good about that because it’s close to my hometown in Louisiana," he said. "I’m going to have a lot of family there and they love the Saints, except when I’m playing; they’ll be on my side (on) Friday.”

The Chiefs return to the practice field tomorrow, before a day off on Wednesday, travel day to New Orleans on Thursday and then, the real fun begins Friday night at 7:00 PM CDT, from the Mercedes-Benz

BigMeatballDave
08-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Yay, training camp.

Hoover
08-05-2013, 03:00 PM
Stopped reading at "Reid Ferrin Chiefs Insider"

KC Dan
08-05-2013, 03:01 PM
WTH is a Chiefs insider going to say, "Smith can't hit the broad side of a barn", geez......

keg in kc
There you go, Coogs.

siberian khatru
Stopped reading at "Reid Ferrin Chiefs Insider"

Yep.

And I'm not one to dismiss good news about Smith. But when it comes from a Chiefs employee ...

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-05-2013, 03:03 PM
WTH is a Chiefs insider going to say, "Smith can't hit the broad side of a barn", geez......

17 for 20 with 3 TDs against the best Defense in the NFL. He's spot on.

loochy
08-05-2013, 03:04 PM
well i hope he can do it with a giant linebacker sprinting right at him

Setsuna
08-05-2013, 03:06 PM
17 for 20 with 3 TDs against the best Defense in the NFL. He's spot on.

Surely you jest.

Ace Gunner
08-05-2013, 03:06 PM
there must be some mistake

Fish
08-05-2013, 03:07 PM
Teammate strokefest. Great practice everybody was great what a great day!

Mr. Laz
08-05-2013, 03:08 PM
you can't believe anything you hear right now, good or bad

everyone has an agenda

just have to wait and see for ourselves

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-05-2013, 03:08 PM
Surely you jest.

Nope . 17 for 20 ,3 tDs.

Mav
08-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Eff the stats. Eff everything else in this article. Do you see how self centered, and attention whoring Alex Smith is? Takes all the credit. Pfff, what a douche bag......

Ace Gunner
08-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Nope . 17 for 20 ,3 tDs.

:clap:

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 03:10 PM
It's nice to hear that Alex Smith is picking up right where he left off in San Fran. It's also no surprise that people continue to dismis his effort.

Yet if he had been 10 for 20 with 3 INT's, the haters would be out in full force.

ShowtimeSBMVP
08-05-2013, 03:11 PM
It's nice to hear that Alex Smith is picking up right where he left off in San Fran. It's also no surprise that people continue to dismis his effort.

Yet if he had been 10 for 20 with 3 INT's, the haters would be out in full force.

So true.

Ace Gunner
08-05-2013, 03:11 PM
depends -- did he do it with pads on ROFL

Lex Luthor
08-05-2013, 03:13 PM
It's funny how the Geno Smith ball-washers jump all over any report that Eric Fisher is struggling in camp and piss and moan about what a mistake it was to draft him, but they ignore a positive report about Alex Smith or dismiss it as irrelevant.

Sassy Squatch
08-05-2013, 03:14 PM

Hope it is the case.I think we've all learned by now to take TC with a grain of salt but it certainly doesn't hurt to be cautiously optimistic.

KC Dan
08-05-2013, 03:17 PM
It's funny how the Geno Smith ball-washers jump all over any report that Eric Fisher is struggling in camp and piss and moan about what a mistake it was to draft him, but they ignore a positive report about Alex Smith or dismiss it as irrelevant.Not a fan of Geno and hope for all the best with Smith, but any great TC personnel report coming from the Chiefs has to be ignored.

Ace Gunner
08-05-2013, 03:18 PM
friday night cannot come soon enough

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-05-2013, 03:19 PM
If you have been watching the player interviews like I have on KCchiefs.com the thing that makes me excited is how EVERY player interviewed is excited and seems to be Having fun now. Yes, it's their job to say the right things but you can really sense the feeling that they FEEL that they are going to have a great team this year. It's a whole different attitude from the Herm,Pioli,Crennel eras.

kcxiv
08-05-2013, 03:19 PM
We always heard Matt Cassel sucked all the time so I guess this is better lol

BigCatDaddy
08-05-2013, 03:20 PM
Is Reid Ferrin a pen name for Rufus Dawes?

RealSNR
08-05-2013, 03:21 PM
It's funny how the Geno Smith ball-washers jump all over any report that Eric Fisher is struggling in camp and piss and moan about what a mistake it was to draft him, but they ignore a positive report about Alex Smith or dismiss it as irrelevant.

Can't sleep the Geno ball washers will get me

http://www.sott.net/image/image/s2/41461/full/scared_kids_1.jpg

keg in kc
08-05-2013, 03:23 PM
Man, so many people getting butthurt over how other people react to stuff. Weird.

Jakemall
Cue Clay sighting in 3...2...1

mcaj22
it's not always going to be clean though

20 drop backs with Fisher as his RT I bet you 4 of them are sacks.

RealSNR
08-05-2013, 03:25 PM

Four of them will be blown protections. Maybe ONE of them will be a sack.

What you're saying right now is that in a full season of hundreds of dropbacks, Eric Fisher will allow a billion sacks.

Ace Gunner
08-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Four of them will be blown protections. Maybe ONE of them will be a sack.

What you're saying right now is that in a full season of hundreds of dropbacks, Eric Fisher will allow a billion sacks.

that's reasonable. for this board.

duncan_idaho
08-05-2013, 03:32 PM
I have never questioned Alex Smith's accuracy or ability to be an upgrade from Matt Cassel. This report doesn't surprise me in the least (right down to the awful writing from KCChiefs.com).

The test will be how Smith performs once the lights are on and the games matter. Will he make the TOUGH throws that you have to make to win games against good teams with strong defenses? Will he be more aggressive with the ball? Will he stay in the pocket more and scramble less at the first sign of trouble?

Those are the questions I want answers to, though I fear I know them already.

ChiTown
08-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Negro, Please!

Mr. Laz
08-05-2013, 03:33 PM
Can't sleep the Geno ball washers will get me[/IMG]

at least you know who you are

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 03:34 PM
Not a fan of Geno and hope for all the best with Smith, but any great TC personnel report coming from the Chiefs has to be ignored.

Why is 17-20 with 3TD's a stat that needs to be "ignored"?

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 03:35 PM
The test will be how Smith performs once the lights are on and the games matter. Will he make the TOUGH throws that you have to make to win games against good teams with strong defenses? Will he be more aggressive with the ball? Will he stay in the pocket more and scramble less at the first sign of trouble?

His last two seasons disprove this notion.

KC Dan
08-05-2013, 03:40 PM
Why is 17-20 with 3TD's a stat that needs to be "ignored"?Do it against the donkey's during the regular season and I'm with you. Smith has proved nothing as a Chief yet. I am behind him and hope he kicks azz and takes names but this is a whole new ballgame in KC and for Smith. Gotta see it live and in games that mean something

Ace Gunner
08-05-2013, 03:41 PM
I have never questioned Alex Smith's accuracy or ability to be an upgrade from Matt Cassel. This report doesn't surprise me in the least (right down to the awful writing from KCChiefs.com).

AS is known for efficient passing, if he can get confident within this system, it's going to be good for the Chiefs.

they already have Jamaal & Bowe, two guys that are playmakers when they get their hands on the ball.

AS is not spectacular, but he can really motor and in today's game -- Reid's offense, especially, AS could really excel because he throws very well on the move.

When you combine that agility at QB with the pistol offense and Jamaal's RB skills, it is going to be tricky. Jamaal should really tear it up in this offense.

BigMeatballDave
08-05-2013, 03:41 PM

LMAO You don't have the first damn clue.

Because he struggled early on, you have your panties in a twist.

Mr. Laz
08-05-2013, 03:42 PM
Negro, Please!

we are going to need your playbook and for you to clean out your locker

saphojunkie
08-05-2013, 03:43 PM
Yep.

And I'm not one to dismiss good news about Smith. But when it comes from a Chiefs employee ...

This and this and this and this.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 03:44 PM
Do it against the donkey's during the regular season and I'm with you. Smith has proved nothing as a Chief yet. I am behind him and hope he kicks azz and takes names but this is a whole new ballgame in KC and for Smith. Gotta see it live and in games that mean something

I can understand wanting to see him against another football team but it's silly to dismiss his performance in training camp. The time will come when we'll all get to see him.

Furthermore, reports like this sure as fucking shit beat the crap out of the Matt Cassel reports over the years.

mcaj22
08-05-2013, 03:44 PM
LMAO You don't have the first damn clue.

Because he struggled early on, you have your panties in a twist.

so you dont think Alex Smith is going to take 40+ sacks this year?

he took 40+ with an offensive line that has 4 pro bowlers on it, hes taking 40 here whether you like it or not

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 03:45 PM
This and this and this and this.

So the employee is lying about his performance today?

Sassy Squatch
08-05-2013, 03:46 PM
Fisher is playing with both hands injured isn't he?

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 03:46 PM

If he wins ballgames, who cares? Rodgers took 51 last year.

Smith has more and better weapons in KC than he ever did in SF, so why worry about something that hasn't even occurred yet?

BossChief
08-05-2013, 03:48 PM
Smith was the best QB at camp. I said this multiple times.

He was sharp and crisp working the middle of the field and he threw it 30-50 yards downfield more than I thought he would. His passes were accurate and that will absolutely make a big difference from last year.

But watching him throw and then seeing Bray throw a few minutes later makes it easy to see his limitations.

I absolutely think Alex can have a year similar to Cassels 2010.

BigMeatballDave
08-05-2013, 03:48 PM

he took 40+ with an offensive line that has 4 pro bowlers on it, hes taking 40 here whether you like it or not

In 2010, Cassel was only sacked 26 times. He was sacked 42 in 09 and 47 in 08 in NE.

Different situations tend to change things.

mcaj22
08-05-2013, 03:49 PM
In 2010, Cassel was only sacked 26 times. He was sacked 42 in 09 and 47 in 08 in NE.

Different situations tend to change things.

that's your defense, plucking 2010 Matt Cassel sacks

wow lol

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 03:50 PM

He was sharp and crisp working the middle of the field and he threw it 30-50 yards downfield more than I thought he would. His passes were accurate and that will absolutely make a big difference from last year.

But watching him throw and then seeing Bray throw a few minutes later makes it easy to see his limitations.

Nice!

If Bray becomes the QBOTF, nothing would be sweeter.

BigMeatballDave
08-05-2013, 03:52 PM

wow lol

It's an example, dipshit.

mcaj22
08-05-2013, 03:52 PM
It's an example, dipshit.

and an awful one at that, idiot

Pasta Little Brioni
08-05-2013, 03:54 PM

wow lol

Different schemes lead to different results.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-05-2013, 03:55 PM

Not at all. They were all different schemes. Weis emphasized on getting rid of the football and that boob Haley ran him offf.

BigMeatballDave
08-05-2013, 03:56 PM

The point is, jack ass, if Cassel was able to improve on that, so can Smith.

mcaj22
08-05-2013, 03:56 PM
Different schemes lead to different results.

isnt this article pointing out the same results though?

accurate, taking care of the ball, works the short to intermediate game, etc?

that's Alex's game, drop back 20 times in a game take 4 sacks complete 17 passes score a couple touchdowns, probably wont lead the team from behind to win a game, etc.

That's what he does, he's like a rich mans Damon Huard, very poor, poor, homeless man's Trent Green. Somewhere in the middle, good enough skillset for this team

O.city
08-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Cassel was in a run first offense. Reid's system is totally different than smith has been in the last two years.

Hopefully he can keep his efficiency the same.

KC Dan
08-05-2013, 03:57 PM
Furthermore, reports like this sure as ****ing shit beat the crap out of the Matt Cassel reports over the years.True dat!

Ace Gunner
08-05-2013, 04:00 PM
Cassel was in a run first offense. Reid's system is totally different than smith has been in the last two years.

Hopefully he can keep his efficiency the same.

Reid never coached a world beater RB. They'll be as balanced as any.

chiefzilla1501
08-05-2013, 04:04 PM
Reid never coached a world beater RB. They'll be as balanced as any.

Duce Staley, Brian Westbrook, and LeSean McCoy are pretty damn good RBs. And it's not like Jamaal Charles was going to get over 300 carries anyway, regardless of coach. It's going to be heavy pass-first, but we have to be careful about what that means. There will be plenty of quick dumps and screens that are the same thing as a run, even though it counts as a pass.

BossChief
08-05-2013, 04:05 PM
isnt this article pointing out the same results though?

accurate, taking care of the ball, works the short to intermediate game, etc?

that's Alex's game, drop back 20 times in a game take 4 sacks complete 17 passes score a couple touchdowns, probably wont lead the team from behind to win a game, etc.

That's what he does, he's like a rich mans Damon Huard, very poor, poor, homeless man's Trent Green. Somewhere in the middle, good enough skillset for this team

It's a real shame that pressure effects Alexs game so much.

I say that because I went to every training camp that Trent Green was our quarterback of and Alex Smith is really close in terms of accuracy and the whole package.

But, of course, the real bullets weren't flying. That's when Alex seems to struggle the most...under any pressure.

keg in kc
Duce Staley, Brian Westbrook, and LeSean McCoy are pretty damn good RBs.And all of them were similar style backs to Charles. We've already seen exactly what he does with back like Jamaal.

Strongside
Smith definitely has the best snap count. Sounds like a grown ass man up there compared to Cassel. That's what I took from attending camp.

BlackHelicopters
08-05-2013, 04:07 PM
How did J Baldwin do?

chiefzilla1501

Well... The Cassel offense was largely R2P2. Cassel's performance that year was grossly overrated, as he lacked the accuracy to hit any of his targets. I'm not an Alex Smith fan, but I think if the Chiefs ran the 2010 offense with Alex Smith instead of Cassel, that would have been a significantly better football team.

Which is encouraging and deflating at the same time. It means Smith could easily lead an efficient offense that we haven't seen in years. It also means we could settle even if he's not the guy for a Super Bowl.

Pasta Little Brioni
Smith definitely has the best snap count. Sounds like a grown ass man up there compared to Cassel. That's what I took from attending camp.

Lincoln!!! Lincoln!!!

Strongside
08-05-2013, 04:10 PM
Lincoln!!! Lincoln!!!

Too Skinny/Lincoln

RealSNR
08-05-2013, 04:12 PM
Lincoln!!! Lincoln!!!
"North Platte! North Platte!"

-Buttchin

DJ's left nut
08-05-2013, 04:12 PM

No shit.

Smith's a damn accurate passer, especially when he has time to throw.

The problem was that a lot of people dug their heels in hard on this guy vs. a Rookie and have absolutely refused to retreat from their initial positions on him.

I started out pretty damn opposed to Smith but once the deal was made, I did a hell of a lot more homework on him and the guy's a good QB. He's going to be very good in the Reid offense.

And every time he does something outstanding, for many it will be attributable to someone else or "what he's supposed to be doing".

MMXcalibur
08-05-2013, 04:13 PM
Stopped reading

FYP

Sick of training camp legends.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-05-2013, 04:14 PM
I just wonder if Manziel will still be on the board for the 32 pick .

duncan_idaho
08-05-2013, 04:17 PM
His last two seasons disprove this notion.

His last two seasons disprove those questions, Dane? Because those are the questions I continually saw 49ers fans asking over the past two years. They're the questions that have often popped up when all-22 film was broken down.

If he was aggressive enough with the ball the past two seasons, why was there so much talk early from Andy Reid about getting him to be more aggressive with the football?

BossChief
08-05-2013, 04:18 PM
No shit.

The problem was that a lot of people dug their heels in hard on this guy vs. a Rookie and have absolutely refused to retreat from their initial positions on him.

I started out pretty damn opposed to Smith but once the deal was made, I did a hell of a lot more homework on him and the guy's a good QB. He's going to be very good in the Reid offense.

And every time he does something outstanding, for many it will be attributable to someone else or "what he's supposed to be doing".

What days were you in st joes?

What did you see from Bray?

Eleazar
08-05-2013, 04:19 PM
I just wonder if Manziel will still be on the board for the 32 pick .

If only Tebow was still available.

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 04:21 PM

Alex can make the 20 yard throws when he is WILLING to do so. I never said he "couldn't throw", I said he "wouldn't throw". In SF he always seemed to read from short to long. On some deep patterns with Vernon Davis, that would often be the 1st read and when they connected, it was heaven -- but all too often, Alex read from short to long, taking what he could short without evaluating what was available long.

If Alex could ever overcome that game day caution of fearing an INT and just go out and attack DBs by throwing into windows, I think he would be OK. It seems to be mental with Alex, rather than limited by his physical skills.

In SF, he just never showed that attacking mentality, willing to challenge the secondary. With the one exception being the Saints Divisional win in 2011, when Alex had his back against the wall and said "screw it" and just ATTACKED.

The sad thing is, he showed some of that in 2006, his sophomore year, the year before his severe shoulder injury. Since recovering from the shoulder, he just doesn't want to attack. He wants to play it safe as Harbaugh beat into him.

He has the skill, he just limits himself by playing too timidly. It doesn't help that his arm strength does allow DBs to close on the ball on deep passes. But it is not like he has a noodle arm either.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-05-2013, 04:24 PM
No shit.

PFF agrees with DJnut.

Jakemall
08-05-2013, 04:26 PM
It's a real shame that pressure effects Alexs game so much.

I say that because I went to every training camp that Trent Green was our quarterback of and Alex Smith is really close in terms of accuracy and the whole package.

But, of course, the real bullets weren't flying. That's when Alex seems to struggle the most...under any pressure.

Not entirely true. As I recall, Alex was one of the better QBs statistically against the blitz. It was on non-blitz pressure (meaning someone let their guy through) that he really suffered. But I think most Qbs do.

I'd have to dig for the actual stats.

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 04:27 PM
kcchiefs.com

DJ's left nut
08-05-2013, 04:28 PM
What days were you in st joes?

What did you see from Bray?

I was only there on Monday last week for the ST holder breakfast, etc...

I posted about 100 posts back that I was actually extremely disappointed by him. As you've noted, the arm talent was apparent and flashed on occasion, but his feet were bad and his decision making seemed, for lack of a better word, disinterested.

In his defense, the O-Line got abused that day. I mean it was a sack on every third play. It was also raining off and on so the conditions were less than ideal.

But on that day, with cruddy playing conditions and a bad line in front of him, he looked every bit the raw rookie we heard about. Perhaps he's shaking off the nerves, but Smith and Daniel (especially Smith) just looked a hell of a lot more composed out there in the muck and with the pocket imploding every time he dropped back.

Every other report I've read on him has been different from mine, though. I'm wondering if I wasn't being too hard on him or if perhaps the conditions/line/nerves that day really held him back. Maybe it was just a shitty day for him. I just read all these glowing reports and say "Man, where the !@#$ was that guy on Monday" because he was probably the guy I was most excited to go watch.

Though you're the first guy to see what I saw and say that Smith was the best QB out there. He really was head and shoulders above Daniel and Bray. Bray showed some skills that suggest he's a legitimate QBOTF and standing behind the line from so close really opened my eyes to how critical vision is for a QB; Bray's height is a massive asset. But I really did think Smith look composed and professional as hell. And when he and Reid were talking, it was almost collaborative rather than Reid dictating. I hate getting into the intangibles discussions, but Smith sure seemed to be in command out there.

DJ's left nut
08-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Alex can make the 20 yard throws when he is WILLING to do so. I never said he "couldn't throw", I said he "wouldn't throw". In SF he always seemed to read from short to long. On some deep patterns with Vernon Davis, that would often be the 1st read and when they connected, it was heaven -- but all too often, Alex read from short to long, taking what he could short without evaluating what was available long.

If Alex could ever overcome that game day caution of fearing an INT and just go out and attack DBs by throwing into windows, I think he would be OK. It seems to be mental with Alex, rather than limited by his physical skills.

In SF, he just never showed that attacking mentality, willing to challenge the secondary. With the one exception being the Saints Divisional win in 2011, when Alex had his back against the wall and said "screw it" and just ATTACKED.

The sad thing is, he showed some of that in 2006, his sophomore year, the year before his severe shoulder injury. Since recovering from the shoulder, he just doesn't want to attack. He wants to play it safe as Harbaugh beat into him.

He has the skill, he just limits himself by playing too timidly. It doesn't help that his arm strength does allow DBs to close on the ball on deep passes. But it is not like he has a noodle arm either.

The good news is that Reid's offense, theoretically, is built for a QB to read from short to long.

When he ended up with guys like Jackson and a cannon-armed (scattershot) passer in Vick, he opened it up a bit because Jackson refuses to run underneath routes and Vick can't throw short anyway. But given his druthers, I think Reid would prefer an offense that is precisely tailored to Smith's strengths.

We shall soon see...

BossChief
08-05-2013, 04:30 PM

In SF, he just never showed that attacking mentality, willing to challenge the secondary. With the one exception being the Saints Divisional win in 2011, when Alex had his back against the wall and said "screw it" and just ATTACKED

what do you mean, "he read short to long"?

Are you saying he disregarded the progressions that are built into every play and just looked at the short options?

Is it possible the deeper options simply weren't open?...because he was chucking it deep quite a bit when I was there.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-05-2013, 04:31 PM
A guy like Avery can open up those shorter routes too. He can FLY.

Jakemall
08-05-2013, 04:33 PM

Partly true. Remember when he earned his job back from Hill? He was throwing it down field and everyone was talking about "wow, where'd this Alex come from?" and then it vanished again..probably coached down as they went back to up the middle 3 times and a cloud of dust.

DJ's left nut
08-05-2013, 04:33 PM
A guy like Avery can open up those shorter routes too. He can FLY.

I noted that in the Bray thread as well (I used it as my defacto Camp thread).

Avery was unbelievably fast out there. He really was a breed apart from anybody else on that football field.

I noted it in one of these Smith threads, but Smith throws a pretty 'run under' deep ball. A guy like Crabtree never had the gear to run under a deep throw, rather Smith would have to rocket it into a seam and let Crabtree use his body to fight off DBs. Smith just doesn't have the arm strength to do that well.

But the tape shows a QB with very good touch downfield. And if you can get a WR that can flat out pull-away from his DB (and Avery absolutely can), Smith can take advantage of that, IMO.

Time may make a fool of me here, but I really do think that his skills with this coach and this personnel group are going to allow Smith to really excel.

BlackHelicopters
08-05-2013, 04:36 PM
Print 'em

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 04:37 PM
The good news is that Reid's offense, theoretically, is built for a QB to read from short to long.

When he ended up with guys like Jackson and a cannon-armed (scattershot) passer in Vick, he opened it up a bit because Jackson refuses to run underneath routes and Vick can't throw short anyway. But given his druthers, I think Reid would prefer an offense that is precisely tailored to Smith's strengths.

We shall soon see...

Well, there is a reason fat Andy wanted him, so...

Remember, as a 49ers fan, I really need you guys to go 9-7 so we can have that 2nd round draft pick.

Other than that, if Alex turns into the next Eli or Big Ben, it is OK by me. Then at least your trade would be a good one. It is going to be an interesting year for you guys watching this question being answered.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 04:38 PM
Remember, as a 49ers fan, I really need you guys to go 9-7 so we can have that 2nd round draft pick.

Actually, it's 8-8

mcaj22
08-05-2013, 04:39 PM
he still has durability issues no matter how good he looks

his shoulders made of glass and his head is one more concussion away from some serious career evaluations

DJ's left nut
08-05-2013, 04:42 PM
he still has durability issues no matter how good he looks

his shoulders made of glass and his head is one more concussion away from some serious career evaluations

100% legitimate criticism.

2 shoulder surgeries and a concussion history should scare anybody.

But strong arguments tend to be weakened by refusing to acknowledge legitimate counterpoints. When guys sit around and act like this dude is Matt Cassel 2.0, it's just silly. The guy does a ton of things extremely well.

RunKC
08-05-2013, 04:43 PM
"Alex Smith wows with accuracy"

CP reaction: It's just training camp. What else is this stupid insider supposed to write?

"Eric Fisher struggling"

CP reaction: JFC you stupid motherfuckers you should have drafted Geno!!!!! How could you be so fucking stupid!!!!

LMAO

Titty Meat
08-05-2013, 04:43 PM
I agree with DJ.

Smith unfortunately was the best option for the 2013 off season. Still wouldn't have given two 2nd round picks for him.

SAUTO
08-05-2013, 04:45 PM
It's funny how the Geno Smith ball-washers jump all over any report that Eric Fisher is struggling in camp and piss and moan about what a mistake it was to draft him, but they ignore a positive report about Alex Smith or dismiss it as irrelevant. lol. Or maybe they hadn't gotten here yet.

I've think this is a great thing. Its good to see he's still accurate and is getting his teammates excited to play with him. Hoping it Carries over into games and he gets to play in them all
Posted via Mobile Device

Halfcan
08-05-2013, 04:46 PM
Teammate strokefest. Great practice everybody was great what a great day!

yep pretty much ROFL

It seems by the fan reports the D has been pushing them around up there- so maybe this is a way to pat the O on the back for a day? :hmmm:

mcaj22
08-05-2013, 04:46 PM
100% legitimate criticism.

2 shoulder surgeries and a concussion history should scare anybody.

But strong arguments tend to be weakened by refusing to acknowledge legitimate counterpoints. When guys sit around and act like this dude is Matt Cassel 2.0, it's just silly. The guy does a ton of things extremely well.

I think he is an efficient starting caliber NFL QB. Like Trent Green but still not Trent Green level yet, a couple more healthy good seasons will get him there

Concerns: injury history, takes sacks.

The end. The thing about the long ball and stuff is useless arguments, the guy obviously can make NFL throws, not 50 yard Vick/Cutler like bombs but Tom Brady and Peyton Manning cant even do that. He's a smart QB with the ball, I don't know if he makes the right reads at the LOS all of the time though, what other reason would there be for him to take a sack, he is mobile so I find it hard to believe his pocket awareness is, that bad. I think theres just certain blitzes or matchups that get him on specific sides of the line.

SAUTO
08-05-2013, 04:47 PM

This. ballwasher
Posted via Mobile Device

Sassy Squatch
08-05-2013, 04:47 PM
yep pretty much ROFL

It seems by the fan reports the D has been pushing them around up there- so maybe this is a way to pat the O on the back for a day? :hmmm:
For fucks sake...

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Still wouldn't have given two 2nd round picks for him.

That's yet to be determined.

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Partly true. Remember when he earned his job back from Hill? He was throwing it down field and everyone was talking about "wow, where'd this Alex come from?" and then it vanished again..probably coached down as they went back to up the middle 3 times and a cloud of dust.

But I don't think Alex was ever coached down. I think, there are times Alex has his back to the wall and quits thinking -- and suddenly he is a GREAT QB. But those times are fleeting. Most of the time he over-thinks, plays it safe, and the regresses back to Good Alex, the mediocre 15-20th ranked QB.

I don't think it is coaching down at all. I think it is just Alex's nature.

Maybe Andy will bring the will to attack out of Alex. If he does, Alex will be a very good QB indeed. I just wouldn't expect to see a dramatic mental change in Alex in year 9 of his career. A game or 2 sure, but not overall.

Last year, he grew a bit. He attacked well game 1 vs. the Packers. He really went after them. In the Bills game, he really attacked -- although I still maintain that the DBs were not in press coverge and played off his receivers. Alex has never had a problem launching it deep to isolated receivers -- it is when there is a DB in the proximity that he seems to balk and check down rather than challenge that DB deep. At least Flacco slightly overthrows his receivers so either they get it or nobody does. Alex doesn't even make the attempt on those -- well, at least, he didn't. We'll see going forward.

Anyway, vs. Packers & Lions, Alex attacked pretty good. Really attacked vs. Bills. Then he had a terrible game vs. Giants and what happened? Vs. Seattle, he just crawled back in his shell and played it safe, and still ended up screwing the pooch. I hate to use the "K" word, but Kaepernick has the good pitchers mentality. You give up a home run, but you come right back with heat right down the middle. You don't dwell on the home run or start walking guys.

Alex is like the pitcher that gets rattled every time he gives up a home run, so instead he paints the corners. On his good days he hits the plate. On his bad days, he walks in the winning run. But he doesn't have that mentality of attacking the batter -- just jamming fastballs down his throat down and in, make the batter accept the challenge.

That is just how I see Alex. A very good, VERY smart, mobile, competent passer who just lacks the killer instinct to get to the next level. He is a good, mid-pack QB who will win 12 games on a good team and give you some chance to navigate the playoffs. What he won't do is put the team on his back and raise the play of everyone around him.

You know what you are getting with Alex. Good luck with him! I really like the guy -- he is a solid QB and a stellar person. Jim would call him a "gold helmet" guy. Look how much class and grace he showed handled the benching.

Still, "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." Joe Montana wouldn't even talk to Steve Young and we all know how Joe Cool played the game.

duncan_idaho
08-05-2013, 04:51 PM

Avery was unbelievably fast out there. He really was a breed apart from anybody else on that football field.

I noted it in one of these Smith threads, but Smith throws a pretty 'run under' deep ball. A guy like Crabtree never had the gear to run under a deep throw, rather Smith would have to rocket it into a seam and let Crabtree use his body to fight off DBs. Smith just doesn't have the arm strength to do that well.

But the tape shows a QB with very good touch downfield. And if you can get a WR that can flat out pull-away from his DB (and Avery absolutely can), Smith can take advantage of that, IMO.

Time may make a fool of me here, but I really do think that his skills with this coach and this personnel group are going to allow Smith to really excel.

I would love for you to be right. I hope you are.

I'm just not willing to believe it until I see it. Too much evidence to make me doubt how good he can be, ultimately. Until then, this Charlie Brown is going to demand that Lucy put the ball on a tee and go stand on the other end of the field.

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 04:54 PM
Completing a lot of passes in one practice isn't special.

http://kan.scout.com/2/774851.html

Put it this way – Croyle attempted 12 passes Saturday during KC’s Family Fun Night extravaganza. Eleven of those passes hit a receiver in the hands.

the Talking Can
08-05-2013, 04:54 PM

ChiefsCountry
08-05-2013, 04:55 PM
Alex Smith is a just more athletic version of Steve DeBerg or Dave Kreig. Just a game manger who excels at running MartyBall. When you open it up you will get burnt. Play MartyBall and you can win with Smith, any other style and its a dangerous situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

DaneMcCloud
Completing a lot of passes in one practice isn't special.

http://kan.scout.com/2/774851.html

What the fuck ever.

I can't wait until the season begins. You'll flip flop quicker than Liberace in an orgy.

Coogs
There you go, Coogs.

:thumb:

RealSNR
08-05-2013, 04:56 PM
"Eric Fisher struggling"

CP reaction: JFC you stupid motherfuckers you should have drafted Geno!!!!! How could you be so fucking stupid!!!!

Nice strawman. Have fun beating the crap out of it.

-King-
08-05-2013, 04:56 PM
And all of them were similar style backs to Charles. We've already seen exactly what he does with back like Jamaal.

What? Give them 220 carries and 60-70 receptions per season? Sounds perfect for a back like Jamaal.

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 04:58 PM
What the fuck ever.

I can't wait until the season begins. You'll flip flop quicker than Liberace in an orgy.

Not unless Alex Smith becomes a QB who makes plays.

Titty Meat
08-05-2013, 04:58 PM
Alex Smith is a just more athletic version of Steve DeBerg or Dave Kreig. Just a game manger who excels at running MartyBall. When you open it up you will get burnt. Play MartyBall and you can win with Smith, any other style and its a dangerous situation.
Posted via Mobile Device

Those offenses didn't have near the talent this one has.

mcaj22
08-05-2013, 05:02 PM
two games Smith lost last year the Giants sacked him 7 times and the Vikings got him 3

the game he got knocked out in that resulted in a tie, the Rams, had 5 sacks.

The dude clearly struggles against premier DEs (JPP, Jared Allen, Chris Long, Robert Quinn, etc) and what seems to be 4-3 fronts. These guys get at him and push the pocket and he shits himself and cant shake them.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Not unless Alex Smith becomes a QB who makes plays.

LMAO

BigCatDaddy
08-05-2013, 05:04 PM

CP reaction: It's just training camp. What else is this stupid insider supposed to write?

"Eric Fisher struggling"

CP reaction: JFC you stupid mother****ers you should have drafted Geno!!!!! How could you be so ****ing stupid!!!!

LMAO

There is no reason for every starter to look average to good in training fucking camp.

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 05:05 PM
what do you mean, "he read short to long"?

Are you saying he disregarded the progressions that are built into every play and just looked at the short options?

Is it possible the deeper options simply weren't open?...because he was chucking it deep quite a bit when I was there.

I take it back. I don't think Alex reads his progression short to long. I would say, if the 1st read in his progression is not wide open, he goes straight to the check down or outlet. I would say he is half watching the outlet even while he is watching his 1st progression. So it is inaccurate to say short to long, but rather that he is almost anxious to take the short read in his progression and gives up on the first read too soon. When his 1st read is wide open, he hits it. That is why he connected with Vernon Davis so much in 2012. But when his 1st read isn't open, he seems to go straight to his outlet or check down.

That is not to say he should take a sack from waiting for his 1st read to open. I think he is too antsy to take the short pass and misses clear opportunities on deep passes. When he throws 4 yards on 3rd and 15, that is an issue.

BigMeatballDave
08-05-2013, 05:05 PM
What the fuck ever.

LMAO

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 05:06 PM
There is no reason for every starter to look average to good in training fucking camp.

17 for 20 with 3 TD's is merely average?

That's an 85% passing percentage.

keg in kc
08-05-2013, 05:06 PM
What? Give them 220 carries and 60-70 receptions per season? Sounds perfect for a back like Jamaal.Exactly my point.

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 05:09 PM

Vernon Davis did this several times to good effect with Alex. Alex would see some separation from VD and would just fling it over his head and allow him to use his speed to run under it. It was a very good combination and resulted in several TDs and other long completions over 2011 and 2012.

Bowser
Well, considering how we were actually encouraged this time last year with Cassel going something like 11-19 with two or fewer picks in practice......

BigCatDaddy

Without seeing what the hell happened I'm assuming that's good and what is expected. That's what should be expected out of most NFL QB's in training camp. Most NFL starters should be owning in camp, if not they are likely a liability when live rounds start to fly. Not just QB's but pretty much every position. Unless they are established players, just not taking shit seriously than I would be concerned.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 05:13 PM
Without seeing what the hell happened I'm assuming that's good and what is expected. That's what should be expected out of most NFL QB's in training camp. Most NFL starters should be owning in camp, if not they are likely a liability when live rounds start to fly. Not just QB's but pretty much every position. Unless they are established players, just not taking shit seriously than I would be concerned.

Oh, good fucking grief.

85% completion rate is expected???

Are you new?

Chiefs Pantalones
08-05-2013, 05:13 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/article-2/Alex-Smiths-Accuracy-Sparks-Chiefs-Practice/e0b07a75-d486-4069-b6aa-a4b423d11a12

Alex Smith's Accuracy Sparks Chiefs Practice
Posted 1 hour ago

Reid Ferrin
Chiefs Insider

KCChiefs.com

Email @KCChiefs_Reid
aaKansas City Chiefs QB Alex Smith wowed the crowd with pinpoint throws

Kansas City Chiefs QB Alex Smith didn't care that the skies were again overcast during practice on Monday; likely because his accurate throws would've outshined the sun, had it made an appearance.

Smith was on-point, nearly perfect, unofficially completing 17 of 20 passes for three TDs during the roughly two-and-a-half hour practice.

"It’s a reflection of the group,” Smith said. “O-line was great today; it starts with them. They did a good job communicating, especially in the blitz period, third down, everybody was on the same page and then there were guys making plays outside. We got off to a good start but really, I think the spark came from the guys up-front."

Among the many pass-catchers Smith connected with on Monday, Chiefs TE Anthony Fasano continues to play at a very-high level. Smith threw to Fasano three-straight times, late in practice, including one TD.

"He's such a dependable guy, so reliable," Smith said of Fasano. "He has such a great knowledge of the game, a great feel for it, defenses and how they’re playing him and he uses his body so well. He continues to make tough catches. He’s what you’re looking for in a TE, that reliable guy that continues to be open, time after time."

Another of Smith's targets was Chiefs WR Dwayne Bowe, whose best catch on Monday was a one-handed grab in 7-on-7s.

"That’s just him making me look good," Smith said. "There’s not much to it. I threw it up there and let him do the rest."

Bowe described the play from a different perspective.

"No, man," Bowe said of Smith's pass. "He put the ball right on the outside; he saw the inside leverage, and our job is to catch the ball; it happened to be a one-handed catch, but it was a great pass by Alex."

Bowe also shared how he's feeling just days away from the team's first preseason game of the year.

"I’m feeling good,” Bowe said. "We’re going against the best every day at practice, so when we get to the games, we will be ready."

Following Smith, Chiefs QB Chase Daniel stepped in Monday and continues to move the ball effectively, highlighted by his completion to a determined Chiefs TE Tony Moeaki on a third-down play in the red zone.

"Chase did a great job of getting the ball out quick," Moeaki said. "I was just trying to get the ball vertical and it was a third-down play, so getting the first down in the red zone, that’s huge. We as a TE group feel that’s where our number should be called; we’re just trying to help the team score."

Later in 11-on-11s, Chiefs QB Ricky Stanzi closed out the drill with a beauty of a throw for a TD to Chiefs rookie WR Frankie Hammond Jr.

"It was a great throw by Ricky,” Hammond Jr. said. "I kind of pinned the guy inside and he just made a great throw and I went up and got it."

Like the other Chiefs rookies, Hammond Jr. is ready and waiting for his opportunity to shine on Friday night.

"Definitely,” Hammond Jr said. "It’s just ‘lay it out all on the table’; you’ll only get so many opportunities in these preseason games, so when we get out there, we have to make the most of them and go out there and play hard."

The team played hard yet again today, which caught the eye of Chiefs head coach Andy Reid.

"Good work today," coach Reid said.

"This is our fifth day in a row of full contact and going. This is our longest stretch; we’ll have another day tomorrow. So, the guys pushed through a big red zone day today, big 3RD-and-long day today. I thought they traded back and forth, challenging each other and working hard.”

Part of the hard work paid off for the defense in 11-on-11s, when Chiefs DB Otha Foster III was in the right place at the right time for his pick-six INT.

"I was playing free," Foster III said. "The guy dragged across and the QB threw it to him, bounced off his shoulder and landed in my hands. We were going full contact, all the way, tackling to the ground and that’s why I ran it all the way back."

Foster hopes to carry the defensive momentum with him into Friday's road game against the Saints.

"I feel good about that because it’s close to my hometown in Louisiana," he said. "I’m going to have a lot of family there and they love the Saints, except when I’m playing; they’ll be on my side (on) Friday.”

The Chiefs return to the practice field tomorrow, before a day off on Wednesday, travel day to New Orleans on Thursday and then, the real fun begins Friday night at 7:00 PM CDT, from the Mercedes-Benz

I might've been excited about this article if it weren't from our official website. Might've.

jd1020
08-05-2013, 05:14 PM

:clap:

I fully expect Smith to appear to be an accurate QB because I fully expect this offense to lean heavily on short pass plays.

In order to win that way you have to be perfect when teams like the Patriots, Ravens, Packers, Saints, etc... can put points on the board damn near on command.

Get back to me when Smith can be counted on to beat those teams, otherwise I don't give a **** because that's all that matters.

Bowser
08-05-2013, 05:19 PM
DISCLAIMER - I really am excited at the prospect of having a very accurate passer playing for us for the first time since Trent Green. It's like a breath of fresh air thinking about a guy that can make throws playing for a coach that actually is inventive and gives a shit about offense.

That being said - I'm going to control my boner until I see Alex go 17-20 and 3 TDs against a stout opposing defense looking to deal damage to our QB.

DJ's left nut
08-05-2013, 05:21 PM

Uh...what?

Do you believe the defenses are training dummies in TC?

The D-line and LBs are absolutely hammering away at the O-Line and getting into the backfield. DBs are flying around knocking stuff away.

What exactly is it that makes you think training camp QBs are essentially playing video game football back there? What you're describing is nothing remotely close to what actually happens.

No, Tom Brady doesn't sit back in training camp during live scrimmages and throw 85% every day. He's throwing against guys that have hundreds of thousands dollars (if not millions) on the line. The defense has to go out there and excel just as the offense does and if the QB is throwing 85%, those guys on the other side of the ball are about to lose their job.

And that's why it doesn't happen.

You're just out to lunch on what training camp looks like.

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Actually, it's 8-8

Works for me, thanks. I think the Chiefs could go 10-6 this year, but what the hell do I know? I would pencil you in for 7-10 wins, like this.

Wins:
@ Jaguars week1
@ Titans week 5
Raiders week 6
Browns week 8
@ Bills week 9
Chargers week 12
@Raiders week 15

Possible wins:
Cowboys week 2
@Eagles week 3
Chargers week 17

Losses:
Giants week 4
Texans week 7
Broncos week 11
Broncos week 13
Redskins week 14
Colts week 16

SAUTO
08-05-2013, 05:23 PM
Uh...what?

Do you believe the defenses are training dummies in TC?

The D-line and LBs are absolutely hammering away at the O-Line and getting into the backfield. DBs are flying around knocking stuff away.

What exactly is it that makes you think training camp QBs are essentially playing video game football back there? What you're describing is nothing remotely close to what actually happens.

No, Tom Brady doesn't sit back in training camp during live scrimmages and throw 85% every day. He's throwing against guys that have hundreds of thousands dollars (if not millions) on the line. The defense has to go out there and excel just as the offense does and if the QB is throwing 85%, those guys on the other side of the ball are about to lose their job.

And that's why it doesn't happen.

You're just out to lunch on what training camp looks like.
Can you make a thread explaining this?

I was told camp was the exact same as a pro day the other day
Posted via Mobile Device

Kaepernick

"Eric Fisher struggling"

CP reaction: JFC you stupid mother****ers you should have drafted Geno!!!!! How could you be so ****ing stupid!!!!

LMAO

Classic. QFT. :clap:

Hog's Gone Fishin
What the **** ever.

Agreed ! Can't wait to see this happen.

Clay, you gotta quit being so negative !

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Agreed ! Can't wait to see this happen.

Clay, you gotta quit being so negative !

I'll be positive when the Chiefs give me some hope. Not until then.

Pasta Little Brioni
Why the fuck would you put 2 auto losses against Denver? They nearly went down in Arrowhead last year if not for some of the most inept QB play in league history. I'm not conceding shit to those clowns.

Kaepernick
I think he is an efficient starting caliber NFL QB. Like Trent Green but still not Trent Green level yet, a couple more healthy good seasons will get him there

Concerns: injury history, takes sacks.

The end. The thing about the long ball and stuff is useless arguments, the guy obviously can make NFL throws, not 50 yard Vick/Cutler like bombs but Tom Brady and Peyton Manning cant even do that. He's a smart QB with the ball, I don't know if he makes the right reads at the LOS all of the time though, what other reason would there be for him to take a sack, he is mobile so I find it hard to believe his pocket awareness is, that bad. I think theres just certain blitzes or matchups that get him on specific sides of the line.

Actually, Alex's pre-snap reads are very good.

Chiefaholic
08-05-2013, 05:27 PM

:thumb:

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 05:27 PM
Nice strawman. Have fun beating the crap out of it.

Nope. He was dead on. He nailed it. Praise Alex in camp and it is just "whatever, crap filler from TC". Criticize Fisher and all the chicken littles take cover.

Not a strawman at all. He nailed you guys! Center of mass.

RealSNR
08-05-2013, 05:30 PM
Classic. QFT. :clap:

Eric Fisher and Alex Smith are fine, respectful, young heterosexual white men with lucrative careers, and are excellent role models for children who come from nuclear families. They're bright spots in a league full of criminal minorities, and should be honored and respected by everybody on this forum.

Isn't that right?

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 05:31 PM

That is MUCH BETTER than you should expect from training camp. You are installing a brand new system and trying to develop chemistry between a new QB and receivers. That is extremely efficient at this point in the season.

RealSNR
08-05-2013, 05:32 PM
Nope. He was dead on. He nailed it. Praise Alex in camp and it is just "whatever, crap filler from TC". Criticize Fisher and all the chicken littles take cover.

Not a strawman at all. He nailed you guys! Center of mass.

If five years from now Eric Fisher were to become the next Tony Mandarich, and I posted a comment about how it was stupid of Reid and Dorsey to even consider him the top overall pick, a bunch of retards like you would say, "You're just butthurt the Chiefs didn't draft Geno."

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Eric Fisher and Alex Smith are fine, respectful, young heterosexual white men with lucrative careers, and are excellent role models for children who come from nuclear families. They're bright spots in a league full of criminal minorities, and should be honored and respected by everybody on this forum.

Isn't that right?

You're damn straight, Skippy!

http://www.shitpeoplewear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Confederate-Bikinis.jpg

Deberg_1990
08-05-2013, 05:38 PM
Awesome News!

RealSNR
08-05-2013, 05:39 PM
You guys remember draft day 2012? The utter implosion this board went through after the Poe pick?

I've never seen a more universally disliked player/pick in my entire time on Chiefs Planet. It made the Larry Johnson pick look like a fucking little girl tea party.

Surely a player that pissed so many people off would go through the same criticism as Alex Smith when he's playing well in training camp? Right? Nobody likes Alex Smith, so when he does well in training camp, it's ignored. That's how this shit works, right?

Well gee, everybody seems pretty fucking erect over Poe's play in training camp thus far. The homers and the critics alike both love what he's doing.

HMMMMMMM. HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT?

Pasta Little Brioni
08-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Has the look of a monster in a premium position on our defense?

Baby Lee
08-05-2013, 05:41 PM
Blah, wake me up when he's leading an epic drive to win the SB.

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 05:43 PM
If five years from now Eric Fisher were to become the next Tony Mandarich, and I posted a comment about how it was stupid of Reid and Dorsey to even consider him the top overall pick, a bunch of retards like you would say, "You're just butthurt the Chiefs didn't draft Geno."

I'm NOT a Chiefs fan. I couldn't care less about KC beyond the BBQ and my sister lives in Belton & her husband & kids are Chiefs fans. I'm a 49ers fan just here to chime in over 49ers stuff, like Alex & stuff. Eric Fisher means NOTHING to me. Geno means nothing. You are talking to the right guy.

All I know is that other poster nailed it when he glaringly contrasted the over-reaction to Fisher's woes vs the under-reaction to Alex's report of success. He nailed you guys. Has nothing to to with Eric Fisher per se or fine white heterosexuals. It was about the people here going apeshit nuts over Fisher being a bust when he's learning a new position in his NFL infancy vs. people getting a good report about Alex and dismissing it as worthless.

He nailed you guys for the hypocrisy. That's all I know. It is just typical sports Fanatic forum stuff. Welcome to "fandom".

Easy 6
08-05-2013, 05:51 PM

http://www.shitpeoplewear.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Confederate-Bikinis.jpg

:Lin:

Pasta Little Brioni
08-05-2013, 05:52 PM

ROFL

jd1020
08-05-2013, 05:53 PM
I'm NOT a Chiefs fan. I couldn't care less about KC beyond the BBQ and my sister lives in Belton & her husband & kids are Chiefs fans. I'm a 49ers fan just here to chime in over 49ers stuff, like Alex & stuff. Eric Fisher means NOTHING to me. Geno means nothing. You are talking to the right guy.

All I know is that other poster nailed it when he glaringly contrasted the over-reaction to Fisher's woes vs the under-reaction to Alex's report of success. He nailed you guys. Has nothing to to with Eric Fisher per se or fine white heterosexuals. It was about the people here going apeshit nuts over Fisher being a bust when he's learning a new position in his NFL infancy vs. people getting a good report about Alex and dismissing it as worthless.

He nailed you guys for the hypocrisy. That's all I know. It is just typical sports Fanatic forum stuff. Welcome to "fandom".

I'm shocked that after repeating whats failed for the last couple decades that more Chiefs fans aren't splooging all over themselves.

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 05:53 PM

LMAO

BigMeatballDave
08-05-2013, 05:54 PM

I have friends in Belton.

keg in kc
08-05-2013, 05:57 PM
There's a slight difference between not getting wildly excited about a camp report and "dismissing it". The last 20 years have done a pretty good job of teaching people to limit their positive reactions.

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 05:58 PM

Nice place. It was nicer before the urban sprawl came down to almost swallow it up. My sister's place is behind a horse farm -- well just a big farm really but we can see their horses running around. It used to be on the edge of rural nothing, then during the housing bubble, they just built and built. My sister is not happy about it, but whatchagonnado?

Every time you try to get away, 20 years later, you aren't.

BlackHelicopters
08-05-2013, 05:58 PM

:Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin:

BigMeatballDave
08-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Nice place. It was nicer before the urban sprawl came down to almost swallow it up. My sister's place is behind a horse farm -- well just a big farm really but we can see their horses running around. It used to be on the edge of rural nothing, then during the housing bubble, they just built and built. My sister is not happy about it, but whatchagonnado?

Every time you try to get away, 20 years later, you aren't.

I was there a few weeks ago. Hadn't been in over a decade. That town definitely is not the same.

Brock
08-05-2013, 05:59 PM
Where would we be without 49ers or patriot fans to tell us how to properly be a fan?

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 06:00 PM
There's a slight difference between not getting wildly excited about a camp report and "dismissing it". The last 20 years have done a pretty good job of teaching people to limit their positive reactions.

Point well taken, but then you look at the Fisher thead with people already calling him a bust or planning for it. Nobody is dismissing that. And that was the point of the other poster. Cherry picking which camp reports to be wildly excited about.

Nothing means anything right now until after the 3rd exhibition game of preseason. About then, you can solidity conclusions. Right now, it is just all speculation. You take the snippets of info for what they are.

HonestChieffan
08-05-2013, 06:01 PM
Going to the superbowl. Im feeling it.

L.A. Chieffan
08-05-2013, 06:01 PM
LOT OF PEOPLE GONNA BE EATING CROW THIS YEAR. Lot of people.

Ace Gunner
08-05-2013, 06:02 PM
You guys remember draft day 2012? The utter implosion this board went through after the Poe pick?

I've never seen a more universally disliked player/pick in my entire time on Chiefs Planet. It made the Larry Johnson pick look like a ****ing little girl tea party.

Surely a player that pissed so many people off would go through the same criticism as Alex Smith when he's playing well in training camp? Right? Nobody likes Alex Smith, so when he does well in training camp, it's ignored. That's how this shit works, right?

Well gee, everybody seems pretty ****ing erect over Poe's play in training camp thus far. The homers and the critics alike both love what he's doing.

HMMMMMMM. HOW DO YOU EXPLAIN THAT?

awesome. that was just awesomeness on his part. folks knew he had the talent, but, I think there was some shyness here based in Powe's lacking academics and I must say, I did not like the fact Poe was so lacking technique in college.

but he did not do it overnite. he was up/down rook boy first half season. then he began to get it going, finished strong. like that in a player, myself.

RealSNR
08-05-2013, 06:04 PM

Don't talk to it, son. You don't want rabies.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
08-05-2013, 06:04 PM

Has the look of a monster in a premium position on our defense?

Is this Hobknobtittyfuck's southern cousin?

Easy 6
08-05-2013, 06:06 PM
Meh, its fair enough to not get all googlyeyed over a good day at camp, do it in a game and things will start to change, the woe of this fanbase is as ancient and deep as the ol' miss, the ol' man...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WwFGJxRBRUs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RunKC
08-05-2013, 06:08 PM
I'll be positive when the Chiefs give me some hope. Not until then.

IIRC you had a lot of hope the day Reid was hired.

jd1020
08-05-2013, 06:09 PM

A lot of people did... and then it all went down the toilet with a Pioliesque trade.

L.A. Chieffan
08-05-2013, 06:09 PM
I spent several years in Belton. Best golden corral around

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 06:11 PM

I'll never learn.

BigMeatballDave
08-05-2013, 06:16 PM
I'll never learn.

Eh, Bray will be a stud and you'll have long forgotten that Geno guy...

Deberg_1990
08-05-2013, 06:17 PM
I get the feeling alot of you guys won't allow yourselves to enjoy this season no matter what happens. If the Chiefs go 14-2 with HFA throughout, you will still be whining about Geno.

Discuss Thrower
08-05-2013, 06:20 PM
I get the feeling alot of you guys won't allow yourselves to enjoy this season no matter what happens. If the Chiefs go 14-2 with HFA throughout, you will still be whining about Geno.

It will be progressively worse if the team succeeds each week only to fall short of the playoffs, or god forbid, a playoff loss.

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 06:20 PM
:Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin:

LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO LMAO

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 06:21 PM

It's hard for me to enjoy a football team that doesn't convince me it's ever headed for glory.

keg in kc
08-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Point well taken, but then you look at the Fisher thead with people already calling him a bust or planning for it. Nobody is dismissing that. That's simply not true. As many people are "dismissing" that as are "dismissing" this.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 06:22 PM
It will be progressively worse if the team succeeds each week only to fall short of the playoffs, or god forbid, a playoff loss.

Yes, a 4-12, 2-14 or even a 7-9 season would pale in comparison to a 10-6 team and a playoff loss.

The horror!

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 06:23 PM
It's hard for me to enjoy a football team that doesn't convince me it's ever headed for glory.

Then find a other team

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 06:26 PM
Don't talk to it, son. You don't want rabies.

You are the douche who asked for it by playing the the "fine, respectful, young heterosexual white men" card.

Isn't that right?

Don't start what you can't finish. If you are going to play me for a racist homophobe with the "heterosexual white men" card, then you are going to get the land of dixie card played back.

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Deberg_1990
08-05-2013, 06:26 PM

Look, I want them to win a championship just as much as anyone else on here, but I'm not gonna sit around and whine about all the negatives when it's obvious they have made a ton of effort to improve. They may or may not ever win a title in my life, but oh well....it's not life or death. I've got a ton of other stuff to keep me happy and live for.

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 06:27 PM
Then find a other team

No. I'm sure the idiots will do something at some point to join the modern NFL.

Chiefaholic
08-05-2013, 06:28 PM

Nobody's force feeding the buffet to you. Feel free to get your ass up from the table and eat at the buffet across town.

Coogs
I might've been excited about this article if it weren't from our official website. Might've.

So you would be okay with this if... say... John Clayton would have reported Smith was 17-20 with 3 TD's and Smith would have given all the credit to Bowe on a catch, but Bowe would have gave all the credit right back to Smith on the same exact pass?

Hammock Parties
I've got a ton of other stuff to keep me happy and live for.

Yep. The Chiefs are not as enjoyable to me anymore.

Used to like them a lot more when I was an idiot who believed any team coudl win a SB, no matter how it was constructed.

Kaepernick
08-05-2013, 06:29 PM

Then find a other team

Literally

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=270619&highlight=alex+smith+chiefs+new+team+to+root+for&page=3

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 06:29 PM
Nobody's force feeding the buffet to you. Feel free to get your ass up from the table and eat at the buffet across town.

Nope. They're my team. It's like blood.

I'd rather sit around and bitch and moan about the Chiefs than pretend to root for some other franchise that gets it.

RunKC
08-05-2013, 06:31 PM

Just curious..what if the Chiefs become playoff regulars and make an AFC Championship game in the next 3 years?

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 06:32 PM
Just curious..what if the Chiefs become playoff regulars and make an AFC Championship game in the next 3 years?

I'll probably feel differently. Hopefully.

All I can tell you right now, at this point in time, I cannot get excited about this team.

Brock
08-05-2013, 06:34 PM

'Merica!

DeezNutz
08-05-2013, 06:34 PM

I'll party like it's 1993.

Marcellus
08-05-2013, 06:36 PM

All I can tell you right now, at this point in time, I cannot get excited about this team.

And by God you will make sure nobody else does either!

Marcellus
08-05-2013, 06:36 PM
I'll party like it's 1993.

LMAO

DeezNutz
08-05-2013, 06:38 PM
And by God you will make sure nobody else does either!

Just using your post as a jumping-off place:

If another poster is negatively affecting your personal level of enjoyment or interest, it's probably time to take a self-imposed vacation from the site.

If there isn't argument in an intellectual sense, there would be damn near no point to CP.

Poster one: I love the Chiefs!
Poster two: Me, too! (air chopping)

Not directed at you personally, but people bitching about people bitching is the single most ironic recurring element on this forum.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2013, 06:39 PM
Reid Ferrin
Chiefs Insider

Aaaaaaaaaaaand I stopped right there.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-05-2013, 06:40 PM

this year will finally be different. You will be able to enjoy !!!!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2013, 06:41 PM

Lil' Smithy?

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 06:42 PM
Aaaaaaaaaaaand I stopped right there.

Retard

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 06:44 PM
this year will finally be different. You will be able to enjoy !!!!!

I "enjoyed" 95-99, 2006, 2010 and half of 2007.

I've learned harsh lessons.

My Chiefs dick needs elite QB viagra to work ever again.

Chiefaholic
08-05-2013, 06:45 PM

Here's my take on the situation. This franchise sat back on their heels so long with Carl Peterson that everybody was inching for ANYBODY else to grab the reins to the franchise and take it a different direction. Clark answered the fans wishes and went out and paid premium dollar for what was considered the best possible option available in Pioli. The problem was giving him too much power and letting him hire puppets for coaches to run the team HIS way. That was a HUGE mistake and Clark ate the remainder of his contract and once again hired the best possible coach / GM and gave both of them equal power to build the ideal team.

I'm not going to sit here and whine like a teenage girl about their decisions until they have an opportunity to put together a team they envision to fit their offensive and defensive needs. Two to three years should be sufficient time to see where this franchise is heading.

Gonzo
08-05-2013, 06:48 PM
I was out there saturday... Chase looked fucking awesome, Alex looked ok, bray was an overwhelming "meh, not bad" and Stanzi was ROFL.

Sweet Daddy Hate
Retard

Yes, had I continued to read that lackey's worthless fucking drivel, retardation would have been imminent! Have to be careful these days.

Chiefaholic
Retard

Yeah but that makes him feel like he fits in with the rest of the school girl drama queens. You know damn good and well he actually read the article but didn't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation.

DeezNutz
08-05-2013, 06:49 PM
I was out there saturday... Chase looked ****ing awesome, Alex looked ok, bray was an overwhelming "meh, not bad" and Stanzi was ROFL.

Really? First time I've read that this year. No bullshit.

BigMeatballDave
08-05-2013, 06:50 PM

If another poster is negatively affecting your personal level of enjoyment or interest, it's probably time to take a self-imposed vacation from the site.

If there isn't argument in an intellectual sense, there would be damn near no point to CP.

Not directed at you personally, but people bitching about people bitching is the single most ironic recurring element on this forum.

Being critical is one thing. We're all critical of something. Constantly bitching about the same thing over and over is something different.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2013, 06:50 PM
Yeah but that makes him feel like he fits in with the rest of the school girl drama queens. You know damn good and well he actually read the article but didn't have anything intelligent to add to the conversation.

What exactly am I supposed to take away from this fluffy POS drool-fest, exactly, sport-o?

Mav
08-05-2013, 06:52 PM
His last two seasons disprove those questions, Dane? Because those are the questions I continually saw 49ers fans asking over the past two years. They're the questions that have often popped up when all-22 film was broken down.

If he was aggressive enough with the ball the past two seasons, why was there so much talk early from Andy Reid about getting him to be more aggressive with the football?
This is easy. Ive explained it before. Alex Smith had the aggressiveness taken out of him by Nolan, Singletary, and then slowly reinserted by Jim who broke Alex Smith down, and built him back up. Alex Smith since he was with the niners, post the Norv Turner year, has been looking over his shoulder. he never had a coach that said to him, this is your car, drive. Alex has no worries here about losing his job. he just needs to go out and play. I think you guys will see the most aggressive alex smith yet.
Well, there is a reason fat Andy wanted him, so...

Other than that, if Alex turns into the next Eli or Big Ben, it is OK by me. Then at least your trade would be a good one. It is going to be an interesting year for you guys watching this question being answered.

Blah blah blah. Lol, you are flapping your gums. The 49ers aren't going to win their division, and with the way players are falling, Crabtree, Culliver, Patrick is dinged, no second receiver, you might not even make the playoffs. The Chiefs, will win as many games if not more than the 49ers.

Not angry talk either. 49ers fans in general are delusional. They think they are untouchable because of Kaep. Pfffff. My 49ers schedule is BRUTAL......Gonna be really tough to win 10 games.....

Marcellus
08-05-2013, 06:52 PM

Well, I have personally gone a bit overboard with it (getting irritated at the bitching) but seriously if being a fan of this team causes you nothing but grief and anger maybe a vacation is also warranted in that case.

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 06:53 PM
Being critical is one thing. We're all critical of something. Constantly bitching about the same thing over and over is something different.

Hey now. I'm an equal opportunity bitcher.

Alex, Sean, Dex, Tyson, Cunta, Baldwin...they are all equally worthless. And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps! Do you maggots understand that?

Baby Lee
I spent several years in Belton. Best golden corral around

It's coming back. New ownership building a new facility.

Hammock Parties
Well, I have personally gone a bit overboard with it (getting irritated at the bitching) but seriously if being a fan of this team causes you nothing but grief and anger maybe a vacation is also warranted in that case.

No grief nor anger here (anger has subsided since Pioli left).

Just a lot of apathy.

DeezNutz
08-05-2013, 06:56 PM

True. Just have to dial back the give-a-fuck-o-meter. Gallows humor has been the approach for me the last several years, but Pioli was one truly unlikable shit bag.

Mav
08-05-2013, 06:56 PM
No grief nor anger here (anger has subsided since Pioli left).

Just a lot of apathy.

8 wins.......shakes head.

Im going to miss you.....

Chiefaholic
08-05-2013, 06:57 PM
What exactly am I supposed to take away from this fluffy POS drool-fest, exactly, sport-o?

Obviously nothing because you didn't take the time to read it. It's much "cooler" to pretend your more intelligent and too good to read an inferior person's article.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Obviously nothing because you didn't take the time to read it. It's much "cooler" to pretend your more intelligent and too good to read an inferior person's article.

See? Common ground IS attainable!

saphojunkie
08-05-2013, 07:04 PM
Hey now. I'm an equal opportunity bitcher.

Alex, Sean, Dex, Tyson, ****a, Baldwin...they are all equally worthless. And my orders are to weed out all non-hackers who do not pack the gear to serve in my beloved Corps! Do you maggots understand that?

St. Joe reports aren't supporting this.

And I'm sorry, but why wouldn't you want to see what guys like Jackson and Baldwin do when they aren't being "coached" by a bunch of idiots who shouldn't even be in the league?

FFS Baldwin was in more desperate need of teaching than any first rounder we've ever had. Who was going to teach him how to beat a press? Romeo? Brian Fucking Daboll? Romeo is going to sit him down and show him how to use his hands to disengage from a press corner?

He gets this year, for me. He doesn't get past that. But I would at least see what happens when someone who knows a damn is coaching him.

I know you gave up a long time ago, but you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 07:06 PM
*shrug*

I don't think coaching can fix any of those guys.

Sorter
08-05-2013, 07:10 PM
FFS Baldwin was in more desperate need of teaching than any first rounder we've ever had. Who was going to teach him how to beat a press? Romeo? Brian ****ing Daboll? Romeo is going to sit him down and show him how to use his hands to disengage from a press corner?

I believe that was Sirianni's job.

Typically, that is a part of the job description for nearly all collegiate/professional WR coaches. I wasn't privy to how KC operated though, so it's entirely speculation on my part.

Deberg_1990
08-05-2013, 07:11 PM
*shrug*

Seriously???? We all know how bad Crennel and his staff were, but i think we underestimate just how bad it was. He was godawful and so was his staff.

Reid is a proven winner. Crennel never was.

Marcellus
08-05-2013, 07:14 PM
Seriously???? We all know how bad Crennel and his staff were, but i think we underestimate just how bad it was. He was godawful and so was his staff.

Reid is a proven winner. Crennel never was.

The good news is we should be able to throw the piss poor coaching excuse out the window with this team so if we have the talent some think we do, we should win some games.

Mav
08-05-2013, 07:15 PM
*shrug*

Coaching AT THIS LEVEL, IS THE DIFFERENCE. The quicker you understand that, the quicker we can all move on.

All of the athletes at this level, are similar. Coaching always gets the best out of players. Or do you believe that without the coaching that Tom Brady would of been Tom Brady?

Mav
08-05-2013, 07:16 PM
The good news is we should be able to throw the piss poor coaching excuse out the window with this team so if we have the talent some think we do, we should win some games.

The coaching is not the issue anymore. Too many good coaches with Sutton, Reid, Reed, Biennemy, Al Harris. Too many guys who know the game and the way to coach the game the way its supposed to be played.

Time for players to step up.

Sorter
08-05-2013, 07:19 PM
Coaching AT THIS LEVEL, IS THE DIFFERENCE. The quicker you understand that, the quicker we can all move on.

All of the athletes at this level, are similar. Coaching always gets the best out of players. Or do you believe that without the coaching that Tom Brady would of been Tom Brady?

Tom? yes.

I agree with the premise though and find it applicable to the majority of players. IMO, Tom isn't one of them. Neither is Barry Sanders, as another example.

Some people, just regardless of reason produce and turn into absolute freaks even when they shouldn't. It's the beauty of athletic competition.

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Coaching always gets the best out of players. Or do you believe that without the coaching that Tom Brady would of been Tom Brady?

I believe that no amount of coaching can fix bad football players.

And I'm not so sure this coaching staff is as wunderkind as homers want it to be.

keg in kc
08-05-2013, 07:21 PM
Talent is what matters at this level. Players make coaches look good more often than the other way 'round. Teams are rarely 'coached up'. They're assembled by smart front offices.

On the flip side, bad coaches can have a detrimental impact, but even then, good players can overcome bad coaches.

Unfortunately what we've seen here for too long is the worst of both worlds.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2013, 07:22 PM

Coordinating has taken on equal importance IMO. W/o Crennel/Weis, Haley would have gotten this team nowhere in 2010.

O.city
08-05-2013, 07:23 PM
Talent is what matters at this level. Players make coaches look good more often than the other way 'round. Teams are rarely 'coached up'. They're assembled by smart front offices.

I don't know, I think it makes a big differencde

Sorter
08-05-2013, 07:25 PM
I don't know, I think it makes a big differencde

On the flip side, bad coaches can have a detrimental impact, but even then, good players can overcome bad coaches.

Unfortunately what we've seen here for too long is the worst of both worlds.

I think it is both.

There are coaches who've produced with marginal talent and coaches who've earned reputations via the talent of players (cough, cough, Daboll).

Sweet Daddy Hate
Tom? yes.

I agree with the premise though and find it applicable to the majority of players. IMO, Tom isn't one of them. Neither is Barry Sanders, as another example.

Some people, just regardless of reason produce and turn into absolute freaks even when they shouldn't. It's the beauty of athletic competition.

Brady will retire a Pat which is kind of a shame. NE is so "system", I would love to see what Brady could or could not do with a team like Chicago or something.

keg in kc
Both is what you want, of course...

Lex Luthor
08-05-2013, 07:26 PM
And we would be right.

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 07:27 PM
People always think coaching will fix this team.

It's been a theme since Gunther rode in on a white horse.

I don't know if there's a horse alive who could support Andy Reid.

Jakemall
08-05-2013, 07:28 PM
But I don't think Alex was ever coached down. I think, there are times Alex has his back to the wall and quits thinking -- and suddenly he is a GREAT QB. But those times are fleeting. Most of the time he over-thinks, plays it safe, and the regresses back to Good Alex, the mediocre 15-20th ranked QB.

I don't think it is coaching down at all. I think it is just Alex's nature.

Maybe Andy will bring the will to attack out of Alex. If he does, Alex will be a very good QB indeed. I just wouldn't expect to see a dramatic mental change in Alex in year 9 of his career. A game or 2 sure, but not overall.

Last year, he grew a bit. He attacked well game 1 vs. the Packers. He really went after them. In the Bills game, he really attacked -- although I still maintain that the DBs were not in press coverge and played off his receivers. Alex has never had a problem launching it deep to isolated receivers -- it is when there is a DB in the proximity that he seems to balk and check down rather than challenge that DB deep. At least Flacco slightly overthrows his receivers so either they get it or nobody does. Alex doesn't even make the attempt on those -- well, at least, he didn't. We'll see going forward.

Anyway, vs. Packers & Lions, Alex attacked pretty good. Really attacked vs. Bills. Then he had a terrible game vs. Giants and what happened? Vs. Seattle, he just crawled back in his shell and played it safe, and still ended up screwing the pooch. I hate to use the "K" word, but Kaepernick has the good pitchers mentality. You give up a home run, but you come right back with heat right down the middle. You don't dwell on the home run or start walking guys.

Alex is like the pitcher that gets rattled every time he gives up a home run, so instead he paints the corners. On his good days he hits the plate. On his bad days, he walks in the winning run. But he doesn't have that mentality of attacking the batter -- just jamming fastballs down his throat down and in, make the batter accept the challenge.

That is just how I see Alex. A very good, VERY smart, mobile, competent passer who just lacks the killer instinct to get to the next level. He is a good, mid-pack QB who will win 12 games on a good team and give you some chance to navigate the playoffs. What he won't do is put the team on his back and raise the play of everyone around him.

You know what you are getting with Alex. Good luck with him! I really like the guy -- he is a solid QB and a stellar person. Jim would call him a "gold helmet" guy. Look how much class and grace he showed handled the benching.

Still, "show me a good loser and I'll show you a loser." Joe Montana wouldn't even talk to Steve Young and we all know how Joe Cool played the game.

Giants game...you don't remember the finger issue? He injured it against the Bills at the end.

Sorter
08-05-2013, 07:29 PM
Brady will retire a Pat which is kind of a shame. NE is so "system", I would love to see what Brady could or could not do with a team like Chicago or something.

To that organization/coach's credit, they did take an offensive philosophy and turn it into an entire system, which is impressive.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2013, 07:29 PM
And we would be right.

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSEKWthECdMPzt3TVwgwI5Isq8z62iPfKGhRzVCjFvM4IKse3EvFQ

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2013, 07:31 PM
To that organization/coach's credit, they did take an offensive philosophy and turn it into an entire system, which is impressive.

You can't argue success. Too bad it doesn't travel well out of the tri-state area...

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 07:31 PM
I think it is both.

There are coaches who've produced with marginal talent and coaches who've earned reputations via the talent of players (cough, cough, Daboll).

History is rife with examples of NFL coaches that would "coach up" their teams in the regular season, only to have those same coaches and teams fall flat when facing superior talent.

George Allen, Chuck Knox, John Robinson, Ray Berry and of course, Marty Schottenheimer, to name a few.

And I agree: It's both.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 07:36 PM

I don't know if there's a horse alive who could support Andy Reid.

It HAS fixed this team in the past.

Marty versus Gansz? Vermeil versus Gunther? Stram versus Wiggin?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is the best coaching staff since at least 1997, if not 1993.

Mav
08-05-2013, 07:40 PM
Giants game...you don't remember the finger issue? He injured it against the Bills at the end.

Just don't even bother. Hes a Kaepernick ball gobbler. Alex is the Anti Christ to him. Hes a piece of crap, hes on his second account on the 49ers board because he is so obnoxious.....

BigMeatballDave
08-05-2013, 07:40 PM

I don't know if there's a horse alive who could support Andy Reid.We haven't had a coaching staff here worth a shit.

Coaching can go a long way.

Look no further than SF.

Tell me Harbaugh didn't make a Huge difference.

Sorter
08-05-2013, 07:42 PM
It HAS fixed this team in the past.

Marty versus Gansz? Vermeil versus Gunther? Stram versus Wiggin?

I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is the best coaching staff since at least 1997, if not 1993.

I don't know about that as far as potential successful coaches (which is how most would evaluate coaching staffs) but it seems to me that we have guys who are good, understandable, detailed teachers who are focused on technique.

To me, that's awesome.

Mav
I believe that no amount of coaching can fix bad football players.

And I'm not so sure this coaching staff is as wunderkind as homers want it to be.

I would probably of agreed with you, until Jim Harbaugh took a team with no offseason because of the lockout, and turned several players that 49ers fans thought sucked, or were mediocre at best, and turned them into beasts. Dashon Goldson was absolutely horrible before Jim Harbaugh got there. Tarrel Brown, Ray McDonald, Ahmad Brooks, Alex Boone, Anthony Davis, Joe Staley, they were all under achievers at best before Jim Harbaugh and his coaches came in.

I think Coaching makes a huge difference.

keg in kc
I've said it before and I'll say it again: This is the best coaching staff since at least 1997, if not 1993.And my supposition is that it won't matter if the front office doesn't assemble one of the league's best rosters, and find one of the league's top QBs.

(I'm not saying they won't...)

As we all know, the problem with this franchise for the last 20 years is that they've consistently paired shitty rosters with shitty coaching. Good coordinators under Marty left and were replaced by the Stooges, it took until Trent Green to find a quarterback anywhere remotely close to Montana, and when they finally had him, he was saddled with a defense that was historically awful in both talent and coaching. And then things got worse from there,on the roster and on the sideline and in the front office.

Mav
08-05-2013, 07:43 PM
We haven't had a coaching staff here worth a shit.

Coaching can go a long way.

Look no further than SF.

Tell me Harbaugh didn't make a Huge difference.

wasn't just harbaugh. Vic Fangio, Greg Roman, Geep Chryst. Just huge huge brings.....

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Just don't even bother. Hes a Kaepernick ball gobbler. Alex is the Anti Christ to him. Hes a piece of crap, hes on his second account on the 49ers board because he is so obnoxious.....

Why, who IS this intriguing chap?

In for a look.

RealSNR
08-05-2013, 07:45 PM
And we would be right.

LMAO LMAO LMAO

Wow, I must have really bruised your vagina during draft season. You're pretty mad.

You should seek a therapist.

DaneMcCloud
08-05-2013, 07:47 PM
And my supposition is that it won't matter if the front office doesn't assemble one of the league's best rosters, and find one of the league's top QBs..

The Chiefs currently have one of the league's better rosters. They have explosive offensive and defensive players along with a QB that's been very accurate the past two seasons.

This team has enough talent to win ten games this season. It's up to the coaching staff to ensure that happens.

Mav
08-05-2013, 07:48 PM

Why, who IS this intriguing chap?

In for a look.

Harbernick over there. His first account was Kaepernick7 THey put him on Global ignore for a while so he wasn't seen or heard, and then banned him all together. he always would start crap.......Mostly with the people supporting Alex Smith, while Alex Smith was still the starter. Claimed he couldn't wait till Alex Smith was gone to never talk about him. Still, he cant stop coming here to talk about him, still talks about him all the time over there.

Hes just a lonely lonely man.

ChiefsCountry
08-05-2013, 07:48 PM
Works for me, thanks. I think the Chiefs could go 10-6 this year, but what the hell do I know? I would pencil you in for 7-10 wins, like this.

Wins:
@ Jaguars week1
@ Titans week 5
Raiders week 6
Browns week 8
@ Bills week 9
Chargers week 12
@Raiders week 15

Chiefs historically suck major donkey balls in Florida. We never win down there, even with some of our best teams in club history.

Mav
08-05-2013, 07:49 PM
The Chiefs currently have one of the league's better rosters. They have explosive offensive and defensive players along with a QB that's been very accurate the past two seasons.

This team has enough talent to win ten games this season. It's up to the coaching staff to ensure that happens.

The negative to this team, is it lacks true depth in a couple of places. Unproven depth if you will. Safety, Corner, ILB. Very short on quality depth.

Sweet Daddy Hate
[quote=Sweet Daddy Hate;9861151]

Harbernick over there. His first account was Kaepernick7 THey put him on Global ignore for a while so he wasn't seen or heard, and then banned him all together. he always would start crap.......Mostly with the people supporting Alex Smith, while Alex Smith was still the starter. Claimed he couldn't wait till Alex Smith was gone to never talk about him. Still, he cant stop coming here to talk about him, still talks about him all the time over there.

Hes just a lonely lonely man.

Sounds like 9ers Coalition to me.

ChiefsCountry

We have a shitty quarterback, thats why we wont win 10 games.

Mav
08-05-2013, 07:50 PM
Chiefs historically suck major donkey balls in Florida. We never win down there, even with some of our best teams in club history.

I remember that fact you posted. THe melt down if the Chiefs lose to the Jags. Eek......I still don't see it.

Ace Gunner
08-05-2013, 07:50 PM
you can't coach self motivation. to me, that is the one thing that makes guys like brady different than guys like leaf. if brady wound up playing for Mornhinweg at detroit and got on the field, he'd have looked a lot like he did his first season under BB. but the development does have to do with coaching, part of that also has to do with personnel too. it's a team sport.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-05-2013, 07:51 PM

The Curse of Brunell.

Mav
08-05-2013, 07:52 PM
We have a shitty quarterback, thats why we wont win 10 games.

Serious question.

If you think Alex Smith is shitty.

What is Blaine Gabbert, Mark Sanchez, Kevin Kolb, Christian Ponder. What is the adjective to describe them? I mean being completely honest, Alex is better than them right?

keg in kc
08-05-2013, 07:52 PM

This team has enough talent to win ten games this season. It's up to the coaching staff to ensure that happens.No. Just....no.

This is not one of the league's better rosters. As it stands right now they have potentially debilitating holes on both lines, they have questionable depth at skill positions on both sides of the ball, and they have absolutely no quality, experienced depth at QB behind an injury prone starter.

I do agree that they may have enough talent to win 8-10 games this year. But roster wise they're still solidly seated in the bottom half of the league. Although because they're young, there's a possibility of players ascending. I hope that 6 months from now we can say that they have one of the league's best rosters based on performance. But that can't be said now.

Sorter
08-05-2013, 07:53 PM

Until I watch this team play in person and then review it, it's really hard for me to give this team wins on the road so easily despite how poor the competition may be.

Not that my opinion means anything.

Hammock Parties
08-05-2013, 07:53 PM
Serious question.

If you think Alex Smith is shitty.

What is Blaine Gabbert, Mark Sanchez, Kevin Kolb, Christian Ponder. What is the adjective to describe them? I mean being completely honest, Alex is better than them right?

I think Alex Smith would take those teams straight to hell just as their own QBs did.

The Vikings might be a smidge better.