PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Preseason observations - Week #2

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2013, 10:37 AM
Didn't watch the game as in-depth as I did week 1. Frankly, when the second unit got on the field, I got a little bit bored.

OFFENSE

I had no problem with Alex Smith in week 1. This game, we saw a LOT more of the Alex Smith many of us were concerned about. Missed too many blitz pickups, held the ball too long when he wanted to go deeper, gave up on the pass too quickly in others. Not a good week for him.
Eric Fisher. JFC, guys. I get that he wasn't the guy many of us wanted at 1.1. I didn't either. But calling him a pussy for nursing a finger injury... it's really sad that people are wanting so badly for this guy to be terrible. The truth is, the injury doesn't matter, because he played through it and he played fine. He got beat once on a speed rush, and was beat twice because it was a coverage sack. He played well enough for a preseason rookie against an elite defense, injury or not.
If anything, I wasn't impressed at all with the interior blocking today. Jeff Allen, in particular, was mediocre
I was wrong about Knile Davis. Excellent game today. However, still a legit question about whether he is a pure space runner. He knows how to attack when there's a good size opening, but still unsure if he's powerful enough to break a wall or nifty enough to juke your way through a narrow hole
Cyrus Gray played his way out of a job. He was terrible. Inexcusable drop with the first team, no burst, no agility, and was the only return guy in 2 games to look useless. At least with Draughn, I see some acceleration and power
It dithgusts me that Baldwin is getting that many snaps. I don't want to see him in a Chiefs uniform. He is stealing reps from Avery and Hemmingway, who should be competing for that #2 spot with Baldwin nowhere in that picture
Chase Daniel - better, but it's going to be a problem if he starts. Horrible blitz recognition. Last week, very frazzled under pressure. This week, ran a checkdown heavy offense
Tyler Bray / Stanzi - Stanzi should be the backup and he should have gotten reps last year. Sadly, neither of those will happen and we'll never really know what we had in him. Bray... I took a lot of shit for suggesting the kid should be on the practice squad. I like the potential, but has a very, very long way to go. Looked extremely frazzled when pressured
Travis Kelce... man, had high hopes for the kid. Two inexcusable drops already this preseason on limited snaps.

DEFENSE

Defensive Line was solid. Poe didn't dominate like he did in Game 1, but he was very effective at driving his blocker. Tyson Jackson played a much better game too. On run defense, he was definitely moving his guy and looked like he was getting an upper hand. Good improvement
We wanted aggressive, and we're getting it. I'm worried if we're too aggressive. Too many plays where we overpursued. Teams that bootleg, counter, and cutback are going to break some big runs if we don't knock that shit off.
We've been playing vanilla offenses. I also fear that this aggressive approach is going to make us suckers for playaction and draws
Akeem Jordan has played solid. He hasn't played his way out of a job. But man, Nico Johnson has earned a right to get first team snaps. He was a man amongst boys with the second unit.
Allen Bailey needs to get snaps this year. He has to become more consistent, but the potential is there. There were a few drives where his strength is just unreal. Just bulldozes his blocker into the backfield
We are getting a small glimpse of how awesome Eric Berry could be this year. He's going to play a lot of positions, from LB to Nickel to SS to FS to FS in a 46. And we saw several instances where he just missiled through a gap. He looks like an entirely different player this year
I actually think our D-line played well in the pass rush. As 2-gap, they were occupying blockers and driving the pile more than I'm used to. I think that will really show once we dial up the blitz
Sean Smith is definitely taking to the bump-and-run. It's really hard to tell what we have in our other guys. What scares me is that Sutton seems to like playing his safeties in some nickel coverages, and in other cases, play them at pure Centerfield like a 46. I think Lewis is going to be a huge liability this year. He just hasn't been tested.
Hard to believe we're saying this, but we have strong safety and d-line depth. The problem is that in both cases, we have starters who would be good backups.

Rasputin
08-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Eric Fisher is a pussy for nursing an injury finger. I didn't say finger injury.

jd1020
08-17-2013, 10:52 AM
Eric Fisher. JFC, guys. I get that he wasn't the guy many of us wanted at 1.1. I didn't either. But calling him a pussy for nursing a finger injury... it's really sad that people are wanting so badly for this guy to be terrible. The truth is, the injury doesn't matter, because he played through it and he played fine. He got beat once on a speed rush, and was beat twice because it was a coverage sack. He played well enough for a preseason rookie against an elite defense, injury or not.

I swear some people easily forget that they were playing the SF backups for damn near the entire time.

Tyler Bray / Stanzi - Stanzi should be the backup and he should have gotten reps last year. Sadly, neither of those will happen and we'll never really know what we had in him. Bray... I took a lot of shit for suggesting the kid should be on the practice squad. I like the potential, but has a very, very long way to go. Looked extremely frazzled when pressured

I can't wait til Stanzi is cut so we can stop listening to the Stanzi nuthuggers talk about him as if he has a future in the NFL. He's been on this team for 3 ****ing years and hasn't progressed one bit. Did you not see him get completely destroyed in the backup battle last year by Brady ****ing Quinn?

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2013, 11:06 AM
Eric Fisher is a pussy for nursing an injury finger. I didn't say finger injury.

A finger injury for an offensive lineman is like injuring a finger on your throwing hand.

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2013, 11:07 AM
I swear some people easily forget that they were playing the SF backups for damn new the entire time.

I can't wait til Stanzi is cut so we can stop listening to the Stanzi nuthuggers talk about him as if he has a future in the NFL. He's been on this team for 3 ****ing years and hasn't progressed one bit. Did you not see him get completely destroyed in the backup battle last year by Brady ****ing Quinn?

I don't know what we have in Stanzi. I'm not a Stanzi nuthugger. I think he could maybe be a capable backup. I'm more disturbed at how few chances he got. And no, a preseason battle doesn't tell me anything.

There is ZERO reason why Brady Quinn should have played the entire close of the season. I would have liked for Stanzi to fail on that football field in meaningless games, not in these training camp battles.

O.city
08-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Dl looked really good against sf 1st team ol.

Defense is going to be really good this year, special teams too

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2013, 12:26 PM
Dl looked really good against sf 1st team ol.

Defense is going to be really good this year, special teams too

What they did was unsexy, but they were really driving their blockers yesterday. Even in the pass rush. Again, the big problem I see right now is: 1) nervous about linebackers and safeties overpursuing; 2) The way the scheme is shaping up, Kendrick Lewis scares me; 3) we're in big trouble if ANY of our corners get hurt

milkman
08-17-2013, 12:30 PM
On offense I've focussed exclusively on Albert, and has played as poorly as he ever has.

Poe has been the focus on defense, and he hasn't driving his blocker.
He is getting consistently pushed off the blocks.

TEX
08-17-2013, 12:41 PM
I don't know what we have in Stanzi. I'm not a Stanzi nuthugger. I think he could maybe be a capable backup. I'm more disturbed at how few chances he got. And no, a preseason battle doesn't tell me anything.

There is ZERO reason why Brady Quinn should have played the entire close of the season. I would have liked for Stanzi to fail on that football field in meaningless games, not in these training camp battles.

He must also not be showing the coaches much in practice either or he might have gotten more time. He's not any kind of an NFL QB except the type who got a shot and found out he doesn't belong...

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2013, 12:47 PM
On offense I've focussed exclusively on Albert, and has played as poorly as he ever has.

Poe has been the focus on defense, and he hasn't driving his blocker.
He is getting consistently pushed off the blocks.

I have to disagree. I don't think Poe looked nearly as good as game 1, but thought he was very good on run defense. That's where I saw him move his blocker quite a bit. Pretty consistently, the 49ers running game had a really good wall in front of them. I'll agree on the pass rush side. A little inconsistent, with Poe usually drawing doubles and in many cases, kind of just playing patty cake.

O.city
08-17-2013, 01:00 PM
Seems when they blitzed, our wrs didn't pick it up and break routes and smith didn't correctly id the blitz early enough

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Seems when they blitzed, our wrs didn't pick it up and break routes and smith didn't correctly id the blitz early enough

I remember one rollout where smith rolled right and Baldwin was still going way upfield. I remember thinking the corner was giving so much cushion, why did Baldwin keep rrunning downfield?

Rain Man
08-17-2013, 01:34 PM
I like what I've been seeing out of Shaun Draughn. Right now, I think he should be our #2 HB.

On the blitzes, the 49ers were on our QB so fast that it wasn't a route issue in most cases. It was blockers not picking up guys with short routes to the QB.

Jalil Brown is not good enough to cover the 49ers third-stringers. I really hope other CBs step up to take the nickel and dime jobs.

jd1020
08-17-2013, 01:35 PM
I like what I've been seeing out of Shaun Draughn. Right now, I think he should be our #2 HB.

On the blitzes, the 49ers were on our QB so fast that it wasn't a route issue in most cases. It was blockers not picking up guys with short routes to the QB.

Wasn't Draughn the guy who completely whiffed on a blitzer to cause one of the 7 sacks?

Rain Man
08-17-2013, 01:36 PM
Wasn't Draughn the guy who completely whiffed on a blitzer to cause one of the 7 sacks?

Not sure. I didn't get to see a bunch of the first half. But in the regular season that would never happen, because we're the CHIEFS.

(I'm starting to get excited about football season.)

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2013, 01:38 PM

I don't remember if he did. But I'm pretty sure gray did.

jd1020
08-17-2013, 01:39 PM
I don't remember if he did. But I'm pretty sure gray did.

I'm fairly certain it was #20.

And it wasn't like it was a CB blitz from across the field. It was a 1 on 1 through the center and he just whiffed.

Sully
08-17-2013, 06:09 PM
Guys I'm impressed with, so far...
Poe, obviously.
I thought Fischer looked decent run blocking last night.
Davis looked good, but on one zone play to the right last night, he overran a huge gap. He gained a yard or two, but probably could have made some real yardage if he'd have seen it.
Jackson played VERY well last night.
Houston, obviously.
Berry, obviously
Although I hated the Smith trade, and feel we got Cassel 2.0, I don't think he looked as bad as his numbers indicated last night. We were running very basic blocking schemes, which led to some pressure, and he also had some dropped passes.

Baldwin is awful. Flush him, he's done. Drops aside, I knew he wasn't a burner, but never realized how slow he was till I saw the play where he was (purposely) overthrown in the end zone. He was bracketed, but didn't need to be, as the CB used no effort to jog with him the entire play.

And, oddly enough, Edgar Jones is becoming one of my favorite players. He is decent as a backup LB, but he's a beast on special teams, and is probably our next Gary Stills or Bennie Thompson. I noticed that about him last season, but so far he looks even better this preseason.

keg in kc
08-17-2013, 07:16 PM
You're probably taking shit for talking about putting Bray on the practice squad because he has to clear waivers for that to occur. And that will most likely never, ever happen. We had to win a bidding war to get him in the first place, there's been all sorts of praise about him all summer from the team, so it's nigh on certain that he's gone the second he's released, and on someone else's 53.

Hammock Parties
08-17-2013, 07:24 PM
Houston is destroying his man in run defense almost every time. He's gonna be a top 5 OLB this year. Again.

Easy 6
08-17-2013, 07:25 PM
I missed the game unfortunately, but it looks Smythe got punked.

7/16 for 62? yeah, pretty bad... but its preseason and i'm not going to panic until that starts happening in regular season games.

Bambi
08-17-2013, 07:30 PM
I dvr'd this game. I don't seem too optimistic about the results though.

Dave Lane
08-17-2013, 07:39 PM
I dvr'd this game. I don't seem too optimistic about the results though.

I doubt we win this time but anything is possible, everybody says it's just preseason.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-17-2013, 07:43 PM
I heard the announcer say Houston has the same number of sacks his first two seasons as Hali did.16.5 I think. I bet this year the pile up 30 sacks between them. I bet Poe gets 5 too. We're gonna be the sack masters of the NFL , I can just see it. In fact , now I'm thinkin we'll just set an NFL record for most team sacks in a year because I forgot about DJ. He'll have 5 and Berry will have 5. I even bet Tyson Jackson gets one.

Edit : I forgot Devito. He's gonna have 5 too.

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2013, 07:46 PM
You're probably taking shit for talking about putting Bray on the practice squad because he has to clear waivers for that to occur. And that will most likely never, ever happen. We had to win a bidding war to get him in the first place, there's been all sorts of praise about him all summer from the team, so it's nigh on certain that he's gone the second he's released, and on someone else's 53.

I praised bray in Week 1. I just don't buy that he's a hot commodity. The real bidding war is the draft. Imo. He will make the 53 simply because stanzi won't.

milkman
08-17-2013, 07:53 PM
Bray looked like hot garbage in this game.

I believe it was Deez that called him Tyler Cassel.

Perfect.

GayFrogs
08-17-2013, 07:53 PM
It dithgusts me that Baldwin is getting that many snaps. I don't want to see him in a Chiefs uniform. He is stealing reps from Avery and Hemmingway, who should be competing for that #2 spot with Baldwin nowhere in that picture

I interpreted that as they're giving him one last try, force-feeding him the ball to see if they had anything in him.

Coogs
08-17-2013, 08:05 PM
I asked this in another thread, but a cat fight interrupted the football conversation before it was answered.

Does Reid's offense allow for pre-snap reads, and audibles to be used if the situation calls for a different play than the one called in the huddle?

It looks as if Smith has them at the line in plenty of time, but the play called in the huddle was what we went with every time.

Mav
08-17-2013, 08:08 PM
I asked this in another thread, but a cat fight interrupted the football conversation before it was answered.

Does Reid's offense allow for pre-snap reads, and audibles to be used if the situation calls for a different play than the one called in the huddle?

It looks as if Smith has them at the line in plenty of time, but the play called in the huddle was what we went with every time.

They said they didn't game plan for that game.

So, im going to guess they didn't put anything in like that for it.

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2013, 08:10 PM

Reid himself said they need to o get better at the hot read. Pretty direct comment ththere that Alex should have been smarter

Coogs
08-17-2013, 08:10 PM

That's not what I asked. I know they didn't game plan. Just what are we going to see in September? Same thing? Or is Smith going to pre-snap read, and audible into something better?

I figure someone who knows Reid's offensive history might know.

Rasputin
08-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Bray looked like hot garbage in this game.

I believe it was Deez that called him Tyler Cassel.

Perfect.

A lot of teams back ups look better than ours.

Mav
08-17-2013, 08:18 PM
That's not what I asked. I know they didn't game plan. Just what are we going to see in September? Same thing? Or is Smith going to pre-snap read, and audible into something better?

I would guess that he would have the option to audible. I don't necessarily know as I haven't watched a ton of eagles games over the years if Andy Reid encourages that. I would imagine he would.

That's a great question.

Easy 6
08-17-2013, 08:23 PM
If Reid has tried to trade for Smythe multiple times over the years, then its entirely too easy to imagine a degree of confidence and trust he has with him to allow changes and checks at the line.

Reid, apparently, has been chomping at the bit to get this dude, he's no doubt going to let him change things up as he needs to.

KCDC
08-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Six total points scored by the offense. The 49ers backup QB (BJ Daniels) looked better than any QB we have on the roster. He threw darts for over 8 yards (unlike our QBs) and could scramble for first downs on a fairly regular basis; but then, so did Colt McCoy.

I had hopes that Reid and team would script some better offense; but, it seemed like the same as we saw from DaBoll. I know you only show vanilla in preseason, but that's what Daboll said too.

Obviously, I was not encouraged by what I saw. Looked like a Cassel led offense without the turnovers.

Titty Meat
08-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Houston is destroying his man in run defense almost every time. He's gonna be a top 5 OLB this year. Again.

can we get the brandon carr pay me gif?

Hammock Parties
08-17-2013, 09:45 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/813871/carrmoney.gif

crossbow
08-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Six total points scored by the offense. The 49ers backup QB (BJ Daniels) looked better than any QB we have on the roster. He threw darts for over 8 yards (unlike our QBs) and could scramble for first downs on a fairly regular basis; but then, so did Colt McCoy.

Obviously, I was not encouraged by what I saw. Looked like a Cassel led offense without the turnovers.

So should we make a trade for their backup QB?

MatriculatingHank
08-17-2013, 10:31 PM
Otis Taylor called and said someone needs to take his number 89 jersey off that poor excuse of a receiver that the Chiefs have on the field.
Baldwin: YOU SUCK!

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2013, 10:34 PM
So should we make a trade for their backup QB?

I think that Morten Andersen could throw against our backup defensive backs.

Sorter
08-17-2013, 11:33 PM

Andy (along with the majority of WCOs from that particular tree) utilize SAs, hots, and audibles.

SanDiego49er
08-18-2013, 02:26 AM
Alex was plenty accurate with plenty of drops. Fisher is a tremendous talent who will be good I think. Why get him injured in preseason. You don't need to.

HemiEd
08-18-2013, 05:47 AM
Watched it a couple of times yesterday.
Smith was fine, except for the 2 minute drill at the end of the first half. He looked very good on the drive about the 12 minute mark.
The Chiefs line was overwhelmed by the 9ers on the 2 minute series and Smith looked awful.
Baldwin had 3 opportunities, and blew them all, get rid of him.
Hopefully the OL will start to gel soon, because they have a long ways to go right now.
Love the back up running back choices.
Chase Daniel is a marketing strategy, need butts in the seats, but I would put him at 4th QB on this roster.

TEX
08-18-2013, 07:33 AM
Otis Taylor called and said someone needs to take his number 89 jersey off that poor excuse of a receiver that the Chiefs have on the field.
Baldwin: YOU SUCK!

Post of the Year!

chefsos
08-18-2013, 07:42 AM
I think the Chiefs already have too many retired numbers, but over the years, every time I see a guy sporting #89 it annoys me.

TEX
08-18-2013, 07:42 AM

7/16 for 62? yeah, pretty bad... but its preseason and i'm not going to panic until that starts happening in regular season games.

With 3 perfect drive - extending passes dropped... Not to mention very poor pass protection. Smith had some issues no doubt, but his were not the most glaring.

SDChiefs
08-18-2013, 07:54 AM
I swear some people easily forget that they were playing the SF backups for damn near the entire time.

well rac is sterling when it comes to coaching and depth chart matters. i mean no in the league thought cassel could start on an arena team but rac had news for them. in 1 preseason game stanzi has already looked better than cassel in 4 years.

SDChiefs
08-18-2013, 08:00 AM

yes 1 time. hes human.

TEX
08-18-2013, 08:40 AM
well rac is sterling when it comes to coaching and depth chart matters. i mean no in the league thought cassel could start on an arena team but rac had news for them. in 1 preseason game stanzi has already looked better than cassel in 4 years.

Not even remotely true. Matt once completed a couple passes in a row in a real game.

chiefzilla1501
08-18-2013, 08:51 AM

It is sad but slimy, but there is no doubt RAC and Pioli refused to start Stanzi last year in order to save their jobs. That makes me really angry. Good chance Stanzi would have blown the audition, but at least we cut him knowing what we had.

TEX
08-18-2013, 10:26 AM
It is sad but slimy, but there is no doubt RAC and Pioli refused to start Stanzi last year in order to save their jobs. That makes me really angry. Good chance Stanzi would have blown the audition, but at least we cut him knowing what we had.

I hear ya but you don't have to step in dog shit to know what it is..."COME ON MAN!"

Buehler445
08-18-2013, 10:36 AM
Didn't get to see much of the game. Was trying to listen to it while I was going in and out of the sprayer.

Sounded like Nico Johnson played well. That is outstanding. We have a pretty good hole to fill there. Was he as good as he sounded on the radio?

How did my adopt a chief Bradley McDougald look?

Rasputin
08-18-2013, 10:42 AM
Didn't get to see much of the game. Was trying to listen to it while I was going in and out of the sprayer.

Sounded like Nico Johnson played well. That is outstanding. We have a pretty good hole to fill there. Was he as good as he sounded on the radio?

Ya know Nico Johnson is in a really good spot he is lined up between #50 Houston and #56 Johnson so he did good job contributing. I think he is going learn a great deal from DJ and Houston. From what I saw got me excited for the kid but I don't know much about him. I think he is going be solid.

DaneMcCloud
08-18-2013, 10:44 AM

Smith's numbers were poor due to multiple drops by his receivers. He was placing the ball accurately, where only the receiver could catch it and while it hit them right in the hands, they couldn't hold on.

Baldwin is worthless. Gray is a very poor receiver. Kelce should have had a fairly easy TD.

The GREAT Brandon Albert looked like shit. Fisher allowed men to get around him and pressure Smith. The offensive line had quite a bit of difficulty with the pass rush and pressure.

The bottom line is that Smith looked fine. His passes were crisp and accurate. The offense moved the chains. The defense was beasting. And Knile Davis took a huge leap from week one to week two.

Rasputin
08-18-2013, 10:44 AM
Ya know Nico Johnson is in a really good spot he is lined up between #50 Houston and #56 Johnson so he did good job contributing. I think he is going learn a great deal from DJ and Houston. From what I saw got me excited for the kid but I don't know much about him. I think he is going be solid.

On this note I'm excited about the blitz packages I keep hearing about with Suttons attack defense.

Rausch
08-18-2013, 10:48 AM
It is sad but slimy, but there is no doubt RAC and Pioli refused to start Stanzi last year in order to save their jobs.

Mostly because he's a total $3it QB...

philfree
08-18-2013, 10:49 AM
Smith's numbers were poor due to multiple drops by his receivers. He was placing the ball accurately, where only the receiver could catch it and while it hit them right in the hands, they couldn't hold on.

Baldwin is worthless. Gray is a very poor receiver. Kelce should have had a fairly eay TD.

The GREAT Brandon Albert looked like shit. Fisher allowed men to get around him and pressure Smith. The offensive line had quite a bit of difficulty with the pass rush and pressure.

The bottom line is that Smith looked fine. His passes were crisp and accurate. The offense moved the chains. The defending was beasting. And Knile Davis took a huge leap from week one to week two.

How dare you post this on this forum. What are you some kind of commie or something.

Fritz88
08-18-2013, 10:51 AM

Baldwin is worthless. Gray is a very poor receiver. Kelce should have had a fairly eay TD.

The bottom line is that Smith looked fine. His passes were crisp and accurate. The offense moved the chains. The defending was beasting. And Knile Davis took a huge leap from week one to week two.

Baldwin had to easy first downs dropped.

I am not sure if Reid wanted to target Baldwin or if the 9ers covered Bowe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Rasputin
08-18-2013, 10:52 AM
Mostly because he's a total $3it QB...

Yes he is, but maybe Reid and Dorsey would have enough game tape on him to cut him this offseason and he wouldn't be wasting their time or taking reps from others @ camp?

Rausch
08-18-2013, 10:53 AM
Yes he is, but maybe Reid and Dorsey would have enough game tape on him to cut him this offseason and he wouldn't be wasting or taking reps from others @ camp?

If this HC/GM aren't smart enough to evaluate talent they deserve to be fired...

Mav
08-18-2013, 10:54 AM
Yes he is, but maybe Reid and Dorsey would have enough game tape on him to cut him this offseason and he wouldn't be wasting their time or taking reps from others @ camp?

Camp is long brother. Arms get tired. He is a camp arm. Most teams carry 4 into camp. Its not a shock that he is here, it also wont be a shock when he is on the first cut list either.

Rasputin
08-18-2013, 10:57 AM
Camp is long brother. Arms get tired. He is a camp arm. Most teams carry 4 into camp. Its not a shock that he is here, it also wont be a shock when he is on the first cut list either.

Um they could have filled that 4th arm with another arm & still not waste reps @ camp with Stanzi.

Also I'm not your brother. Browns 49er fan or what ever you are?

Rasputin
08-18-2013, 10:59 AM
If this HC/GM aren't smart enough to evaluate talent they deserve to be fired...

Fuel up the banner planes :D

Mav
08-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Um they could have filled that 4th arm with another arm & still not waste reps @ camp with Stanzi.

Also I'm not your brother. Browns 49er fan or what ever you are?

He was also already under contract. having an extra camp arm that you know you aren't going to keep means you can just have that, a spare arm that can throw the football when the other 3 arms need a rest.

Okay, noted. You are not my brother. My bad....

:harumph:

New World Order
08-18-2013, 11:02 AM

Smith looked like dog shit. The only time they were under pressure is when the defensed blitzed. Alex Smith never made any kind of pre snap adjustment to offset those blitzes. He looked like a fukking robot out there.

Coogs
08-18-2013, 11:02 AM
I'm not sure which thread to put this in, so this one seems as good as any.

I have 8 plays on offense to discuss.

1st two:

2nd play at 14:24 mark 1st quarter

11th play at 4:42 mark 1st quarter

Bowe on left at top of screen in 1-on-1 coverage. 11 men basically within 10 yards of LOS. Will Smith have option to audible to Bowe in regular season, or do we stay with called play as we did?

Next two:

5th play at 13:19 mark 1st quarter

8th play at 8:06 mark 1st quarter

Both edge or corner blitzes with miss communication between Albert and Allen. You can see them discussing it right away. Both left us in 2nd and long. Both fixable.

Next two:

2nd quarter 9:10 mark

2nd quarter 3:30 mark

Again 2 corner blitz plays.

1st one was Baldwin's man, and Baldwin was wide open crossing middle for what probably should have been a huge gain. Seemed like a half hearted effort by Baldwin, but some of that has to be on Smith... if not all of it.

2nd one was McCluster's man. McCluster cuts off his route, and that could be a TD.

Again... both should be fixable.

Last two:

6:52 1st quarter

8:10 3rd quarter

Just watch Avery's release. We need that on the field. Last on could have been a TD if Daniel would have had time, but back missed picking up blitz.

Rasputin
08-18-2013, 11:03 AM
He was also already under contract. having an extra camp arm that you know you aren't going to keep means you can just have that, a spare arm that can throw the football when the other 3 arms need a rest.

Okay, noted. You are not my brother. My bad....

:harumph:

Who cares if he was under contract? A 5th round contract wouldn't break the bank to let him go. Also they should be going out of their way to find better talent to upgrade so Ricky Stanzi was expendable.

Rausch
08-18-2013, 11:03 AM
Fuel up the banner planes :D

I think we have the right GM and wrong HC...

Mav
08-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Who cares if he was under contract? A 5th round contract wouldn't break the bank to let him go. Also they should be going out of their way to find better talent to upgrade so Ricky Stanzi was expendable.

I think you are not understanding what I am trying to say.

From the get go, Smith, Daniel, and Bray were locks to make this team. That is who the coaching staff wanted to evaluate. Stanzi was just an arm that was already here, under contract. I get what you are trying to say. Bring in someone else who would be better than Stanzi. All I am saying is that their mind was made up on the 3 qbs they wanted to see.

Rasputin
08-18-2013, 11:14 AM

I'm not sold on Andy Reid either. I think there is too much hype on the guy and over rated as a QB guru. We will see how this all works out but I'm not thrilled so far with who he wanted to lead our team and trade for Smith.

Dorsey maybe our GM but Andy Reid calls all the shots on major things and will get his way most of the time because he can go to Clark Hunt for anything.

I hope Dorsey can stand up to Andy Reid when it comes to the quarterback OTF.

mlyonsd
08-18-2013, 11:15 AM

This is where I'm at. Was thrilled with the Dorsey hire but not so much with Reid. I'm willing to give him a shot though.

Mav
08-18-2013, 11:18 AM
I'm not sold on Andy Reid either. I think there is too much hype on the guy and over rated as a QB guru. We will see how this all works out but I'm not thrilled so far with who he wanted to lead our team and trade for Smith.

Dorsey maybe our GM but Andy Reid calls all the shots on major things and will get his way most of the time because he can go to Clark Hunt for anything.

I hope Dorsey can stand up to Andy Reid when it comes to the quarterback OTF.

I was really hoping they would of traded for Nick Foles. I think he has all the talent in the world.

Sandy Vagina
08-18-2013, 11:19 AM
EXACTLY! You and I saw the same game. Smith was not the problem. I duspect others saw that too,but they just want to bitch because KC didn't draft a QB at 1.1 and traded for Smith. He might have to work on some things, but he is one of the least of KC's issues on offensw.

I agree, but I would like to have seen Alex do a little better on a few plays that we saw. I think by the start of quarter 2, he was getting pretty irritated. I don't like to see that, as I think he may have lost some energy and effort. I fully expect the offense to be prepared and able to handle the blitz pick up and hot routes in September... not much worried about that. The receivers catching what is thrown to them is my largest concern now. Alex has had some crap WRs throughout his years, and if that continues, I worry that he will never trust them or take aggressive shots to them unless the game is hanging in the balance.

TEX
08-18-2013, 11:20 AM

EXACTLY this. Smith might have his issues, but he was not the problem week 2.

BigChiefFan
08-18-2013, 11:37 AM

I think they've brought in alot of talent. I can't recall seeing our defense looking this stout since the days of Schottenheimer.

Coogs
08-18-2013, 11:48 AM
I agree, but I would like to have seen Alex do a little better on a few plays that we saw. I think by the start of quarter 2, he was getting pretty irritated. I don't like to see that, as I think he may have lost some energy and effort. I fully expect the offense to be prepared and able to handle the blitz pick up and hot routes in September... not much worried about that. The receivers catching what is thrown to them is my largest concern now. Alex has had some crap WRs throughout his years, and if that continues, I worry that he will never trust them or take aggressive shots to them unless the game is hanging in the balance.

This is JMO, but I think if we were to go with Bowe (who for some reason took a lot of plays on the left side of the formation instead of the right), Avery, and McCluster in the slot we will be in pretty good shape receiver wise. Fassano at TE and Charles out of the backfield. Pretty solid IMO. I know many here don't like McCluster, but he does some nice things when lined up in the slot, minus the play where his guy blitzed and he probably should have sit down quickly for the hot read.

BlackHelicopters
08-18-2013, 11:51 AM
3-13

Rasputin
08-18-2013, 12:09 PM
3-13

Oh come on quit being so negative this is an easy 4-12 season.

BossChief
08-18-2013, 12:13 PM
1) the OL is struggling with communication on blitz pickups. This will take time and they need to gel. Growing pains early on are to be expected.

2) Alex Smith wasn't as bad as some are saying, but he surely wasn't good, either. It's clear that he is a guy that needs everything around him to be operating at a high level for him to have any success...but he did enough for me to be ok with his performance. Baldwin dropped a couple...Kelce should have caught that pass that was placed behind him on purpose...Gray should have picked up 10-15 if he catches the easy swing pass...I am getting frustrated that Alex hasn't even tried to get the receivers involved, though. Everything goes to the backs and tight ends.

3) DL looked pretty solid across the board against what may well be the beso OL in football.

4) Nico should start. No question. He is clearly better than Jordan and looks to have some fantastic instincts and upside. A STEAL in the 4th round.

5) Baldwin needs to go.

RunKC
08-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Alex Smith looked awful, but a lot of people are making this his fault. You could put Tom Brady in that game he'd look like shit because his receivers are dropping his passes that hit their hands and his OL can't pick up a blitz to save their lives.

Also, Baldwin needs to go. What a clusterfuck of a draft pick. People put all the blame on Pioli, but Haley deserves a shit load of the blame too. He had a strong hand in picking him.

BossChief
08-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Haley would still be the coach if we had drafted Kaepernick.

Rasputin
08-18-2013, 12:21 PM
1) the OL is struggling with communication on blitz pickups. This will take time and they need to gel. Growing pains early on are to be expected.

2) Alex Smith wasn't as bad as some are saying, but he surely wasn't good, either. It's clear that he is a guy that needs everything around him to be operating at a high level for him to have any success...but he did enough for me to be ok with his performance. Baldwin dropped a couple...Kelce should have caught that pass that was placed behind him on purpose...Gray should have picked up 10-15 if he catches the easy swing pass...I am getting frustrated that Alex hasn't even tried to get the receivers involved, though. Everything goes to the backs and tight ends.

3) DL looked pretty solid across the board against what may well be the beso OL in football.

4) Nico should start. No question. He is clearly better than Jordan and looks to have some fantastic instincts and upside. A STEAL in the 4th round.

5) Baldwin needs to go.

Average quarterback. He looks like an average quarterback. Drops happen in games got to keep pressing and find ways to win. I've seen other teams guys drop passes and they went on to win. Expect drop balls until we cut those that are problematic with drops. The quarterback has to over compensate to make up for those drops it's his job to win ball games that is what he gets paid to do and fans go to see. You are right Alex Smith wasn't that bad in this game but he sure wasn't great.

RunKC
08-18-2013, 12:21 PM
Also, I'd like to see three plays next week.

Sweep right to Charles in the Ace set so Fisher, Asamoah, Fasano and Bowe are blocking in front of him.

Screen to Bowe. He's a hard man to tackle. Get it done.

Long back shoulder pass to Bowe.

Titty Meat
08-18-2013, 12:23 PM
Akeem Jordan has played very well but Johnson has been amazing

Buehler445
08-18-2013, 12:24 PM

Bradley Mcdougald motherfuckers. What did he do?

Fairplay
08-18-2013, 12:29 PM

I very strongly disagree on keeping Stanzi, I mean he is really bad x100 and I don't think I need to go into length about that, enough said.

Throw Bray into the deep end, sink or swim.

RippedmyFlesh
08-18-2013, 12:32 PM

I love Houston. The respect Hali showed him on his martial arts vid got me psyched. It would be great to have to argue if we should switch Hali and Houston because Houston is beasting.

O.city
08-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Alex Smith looked awful, but a lot of people are making this his fault. You could put Tom Brady in that game he'd look like shit because his receivers are dropping his passes that hit their hands and his OL can't pick up a blitz to save their lives.

Also, Baldwin needs to go. What a cluster**** of a draft pick. People put all the blame on Pioli, but Haley deserves a shit load of the blame too. He had a strong hand in picking him.

While the ol needs time to gel, a good percent of the time blitz pickup and recognition is on the qb

Mav
08-18-2013, 12:36 PM
While the ol needs time to gel, a good percent of the time blitz pickup and recognition is on the qb

I do agree.

Chiefshrink
08-18-2013, 01:50 PM
A lot of teams back ups look better than ours.

Agreed.

Bethel-Thompson - Vikes
Tuel - Bills

Titty Meat
08-18-2013, 02:22 PM
If that was a real game we could have fucked them with draw plays

Chiefshrink
08-18-2013, 02:43 PM
Hopefully the OL will start to gel soon, because they have a long ways to go right now.

Agree !!

My biggest concern to this point is the OL. I hope all it is just communication and picking up the blitzes and just getting to that good GEL point of synchronization. But what I saw more than that was our 1st string OLine were boys amongst real MEN (SF D line). Our O line couldn't push or open holes when run plays were called and actually got pushed back many times. Watch Allen on his knees in the first series as well as Fisher getting bull rushed on a run play ? Our O line collectively against a SB caliber D line got literally MAN-handled PHYSICALLY. They looked very weak physically. Yeah I know it takes time to gel BUT that weight room better be a big priority as well.

Loved the D-line play and Poe is coming along fine.

Nico is flat out a playmaker who has awesome instincts that you cannot teach. And he will be starting in due time.

I don't worry about Fisher because you can see his athleticism and he is still getting used to the speed of the game especially against a SB caliber D-line with a sore shoulder and thumb which is very difficult not to let bother you in O line play. He definitely needs to get stronger though. You really want to watch a bust of a 1st rd left tackle that was just absolutely embarrassing, watch Joekel against the Dolphins. Absolutely no athleticism at the NFL level. I wouldn't be surprised if the Jags brass are already worried they have a huge 1st rd bust on their hands. Bad enough they busted on Blackmon.

Baldwin and Allen need to be cut. They are horrible.

Rasputin
08-18-2013, 02:59 PM
I think Eric Fisher best attributes will come on screen plays or pulling sweep plays that he can go hunt down LB or DBs.

I think he is going struggle against bull rushing DEs and linebackers. I don't think he will be much of a moving force when we need him down block on short yardage. He isn't good at strait up blocking yet imo. Just hope he improves enough not to be an embarrassment this year.

BossChief
08-18-2013, 03:02 PM
If that was a real game we could have ****ed them with draw plays

What lead you to that comment?

If this was a real game, they might have killed everyone behind the Los before we got a chance to run plays that would counter their agressiveness.

Also, it's not like they were running full blown blitzes all day, we just had trouble identifying who the blitzes was all day.

I also have news for anyone who hasn't noticed...if Alex Smith isn't getting respected by defenses for his ability to throw the ball to the wideouts, he and Charles are gonna be constantly operating against 8 man fronts and this OL better be able to identify who is cheating up to blitz or we are gonna get our QBs and RBs hurt.

BossChief
08-18-2013, 03:06 PM
I think Eric Fisher best attributes will come on screen plays or pulling sweep plays that he can go hunt down LB or DBs.

I think he is going struggle against bull rushing DEs and linebackers. I don't think he will be much of a moving force when we need him down block on short yardage. He isn't good at strait up blocking yet imo. Just hope he improves enough not to be an embarrassment this year.

Fisher has a lot of work to do, but he will start to make strides once his thumb heals. Unfortunately, it has been problematic thus far.

I doubt he ever lives up to the slot he was drafted at, but he should be solid.

Rasputin
08-18-2013, 03:10 PM
If that was a real game we could have ****ed them with draw plays

I hate the draw play. Hate it. If it doesn't work you lose yards. It's really just an uncreative play that when you are getting your ass kick and the OC doesn't have a clue what to do.

It may work once or twice a game and teams do get lucky with it but it is predictable and especially predictable with the Chiefs.

O.city
08-18-2013, 03:13 PM
With all the blitzes, the screen game would have been good to go. Seemed we were specifically working on some things, not sure what they were though

BossChief
08-18-2013, 03:15 PM
I hate the draw play. Hate it. If it doesn't work you lose yards. It's really just an uncreative play that when you are getting your ass kick and the OC doesn't have a clue what to do.

It may work once or twice a game and teams do get lucky with it but it is predictable and especially predictable with the Chiefs.

See, man.

This is where you get yourself into trouble on here.

Bo was right in that screens, draws, counters and similatlrly designed plays are called to help counter against the opposing teams pass rush because they basically let the pass rushers get upfield on purpose and then the ball goes right past them.

They aren't called because "the OC doesn't know what he is doing"

Rasputin
08-18-2013, 03:15 PM
Fisher has a lot of work to do, but he will start to make strides once his thumb heals. Unfortunately, it has been problematic thus far.

I doubt he ever lives up to the slot he was drafted at, but he should be solid.

This wasn't just a bad quarterback draft class but the entire draft class was shitty if a RT was deemed BPA. I'm also calling bull shit that a LT/RT was is the BPA in this draft. I'm calling bullshit that Eric Fisher and Joekeroff were #1 #2 best this draft had to offer. Not even counting the quarterbacks but surely there are going be better players that have bigger impact in the first round? I'm not calling you surely btw.

Rasputin
08-18-2013, 03:20 PM
See, man.

This is where you get yourself into trouble on here.

Bo was right in that screens, draws, counters and similatlrly designed plays are called to help counter against the opposing teams pass rush because they basically let the pass rushers get upfield on purpose and then the ball goes right past them.

They aren't called because "the OC doesn't know what he is doing"

Idk? I've seen plenty of draw plays with the Chiefs and they were predictable. I'm not a fan of that play. However it does work once in a while I've seen that too. I'm not a fan of the draw play.

milkman
08-18-2013, 04:18 PM

Also, Baldwin needs to go. What a cluster**** of a draft pick. People put all the blame on Pioli, but Haley deserves a shit load of the blame too. He had a strong hand in picking him.

Bad Guy's source's say that Haley wanted to draft Kaepernick.

Titty Meat
08-18-2013, 04:22 PM
What lead you to that comment?

If this was a real game, they might have killed everyone behind the Los before we got a chance to run plays that would counter their agressiveness.

Also, it's not like they were running full blown blitzes all day, we just had trouble identifying who the blitzes was all day.

I also have news for anyone who hasn't noticed...if Alex Smith isn't getting respected by defenses for his ability to throw the ball to the wideouts, he and Charles are gonna be constantly operating against 8 man fronts and this OL better be able to identify who is cheating up to blitz or we are gonna get our QBs and RBs hurt.

The Niners were aggressive even if they didn't work they would have to atleast pressure with caution. I forget if it was the 3rd qtr they ran a corner blitz we correctly ran a screen to that side for a big gain.

I've noticed it seems like weve ran a lot of screens these past 2 games. We can anticipate the blitz because Smith struggles when pressured.

Squatch
08-18-2013, 04:24 PM
Bad Guy's source's say that Haley wanted to draft Kaepernick.

I can't remember where I heard it but, I've heard Pioli wanted to draft Andy Dalton and Haley wanted Baldwin. Apparently, Pioli really liked Dalton. Baldwin was Haley's one pick while he was here.

I thought Pioli disliked running QBs? That's part of the reason he got rid of Thigpen and why he got hired in Pittsburgh. Isn't he trying to make Ben into a pocket passer?

Sorter
08-18-2013, 04:32 PM
I can't remember where I heard it but, I've heard Pioli wanted to draft Andy Dalton and Haley wanted Baldwin. Apparently, Pioli really liked Dalton. Baldwin was Haley's one pick while he was here.

I thought Pioli disliked running QBs? That's part of the reason he got rid of Thigpen and why he got hired in Pittsburgh. Isn't he trying to make Ben into a pocket passer?

ROFL

Squatch
08-18-2013, 04:35 PM
ROFL

ROFL Maybe I'm wrong but, I thought they wanted Haley because of his quick release offense. They hoped it would extend Ben's career. It's a terrible fit in my opinion. A waste of Ben's talents.

Coogs
08-18-2013, 04:42 PM

This is what I was talking about with pre-snap reads of the defense. We had plenty of time, as the play clock usually did not start showing until the count was at 10. Sometimes the play clock wasn't even shown, so I assume the count was higher than 10.

Anyway, we would get to the line. Smith would identify the Mike. Off we would go with the play.

Hopefully that is just because this is the preseason. If this bleeds over into the regular season, I am going to be really disappointed in our coaching staff and our QB.

SAUTO
08-18-2013, 04:48 PM
They have said they want to play faster
Posted via Mobile Device

Coogs
08-18-2013, 04:56 PM
They have said they want to play faster
Posted via Mobile Device

I understand. In my mind, that means no huddle. Which means seeing what the defense is set in and then calling a play. :shrug:

If you can do that, you should be able to adjust out of the huddle just as easily.

Simply Red
08-18-2013, 04:57 PM
I observed that we still suck.

Thank you.

Tribal Warfare
08-18-2013, 05:02 PM

AAAh reliving the 2011 to 2012 seasons at the QB position will be teh AW3SOME!

Ace Gunner
08-18-2013, 05:05 PM
I observed that we still suck.

Thank you.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/newsfeed/000/175/719/1155844718213mp8.jpg?1316405983

Buehler445
08-18-2013, 05:08 PM

Bradley Mcdougald motherfuckers. What did he do?

Hey assholes! What did Bradley McDougald do?

Ace Gunner
08-18-2013, 05:37 PM

is he a player ??

Nico is playing pretty good -- very instinctive, seems to know his assignments and is tackling well. but, Jordan is going to start & look for Nico to get work in certain situations.

chiefzilla1501
08-18-2013, 05:47 PM

I wish I could say I wasn't bored by the 4th quarter and saw him play. I liked what I saw from him in week 1.

I was really surprised... I don't know if he saw any action in the first 3 quarters. 3rd quarter safeties were Hartman and Abdullah.

chiefzilla1501
08-18-2013, 05:48 PM

I don't know that I heard anything about Haley and Baldwin. I do remember talk that Bellichick loved Baldwin, which of course leads me to believe Pioli loved him too.

milkman
08-18-2013, 05:54 PM

I don't really care much where you heard it.
Bad Guy's sources have been reliable for years around here, and anyone that tries to tell you that any QB that could be competition was looked to be brought in by Pioli for Cassel is full of shit.

Ace Gunner
08-18-2013, 05:57 PM
you know who scooter liked -- brady fuckin quinn

Squatch
08-18-2013, 07:23 PM
I don't really care much where you heard it.
Bad Guy's sources have been reliable for years around here, and anyone that tries to tell you that any QB that could be competition was looked to be brought in by Pioli for Cassel is full of shit.

You're probably right. Pioli was up Cassel's ass but, I do remember reading about him meeting with Dalton more than any player. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Cassel was coming off of his best season.

Buehler445
08-18-2013, 07:59 PM
I wish I could say I wasn't bored by the 4th quarter and saw him play. I liked what I saw from him in week 1.

I was really surprised... I don't know if he saw any action in the first 3 quarters. 3rd quarter safeties were Hartman and Abdullah.

:(. Thx

I'm still holding out hope