BryanBusby
01-06-2014, 07:45 PM
I wonder if his signing bonus was 14 tons of pizza rolls

Eleazar
01-06-2014, 07:47 PM
History awaits!

Prison Bitch
01-06-2014, 07:50 PM
Considering he won an Orange Bowl and was named national COY at a non traditional power, I'd kinda say he did make history no?

Eleazar
01-06-2014, 07:51 PM
I guess that "history awaits" is a sentence that is always true, no matter what happens.

ROYC75
01-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Good for him and Iowa State

Wasn't he coaching ( HC ) somewhere ?

Jimmya
01-06-2014, 08:34 PM
Espn didn't say if he was coaching currently.

ping2000
01-06-2014, 08:37 PM
In related news, Country Buffets of Iowa announced a three trip limit and smaller plate sizes effective immediately.

Brando
01-06-2014, 08:38 PM
He was coaching at Youngstown state. What happens when unstoppable force(cyclone) meets the immovable object(Mangino)?

Dayze
01-06-2014, 08:40 PM
That's right. DOllar signs.

ping2000
01-06-2014, 08:40 PM
He was coaching at Youngstown state. What happens when unstoppable force(cyclone) meets the immovable object(Mangino)?

In case of a cyclone, lash yourself to Mangino.

dtrain
01-06-2014, 08:41 PM
ESPN article
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/10252642/iowa-state-cyclones-name-mark-mangino-new-offensive-coordinator

OrtonsPiercedTaint
01-06-2014, 08:43 PM
Iowa State Roosters?
they gonna get choked

GloryDayz
01-06-2014, 09:42 PM
He should grow a really thick mustache...

Prison Bitch
01-06-2014, 11:41 PM
He's actually lost a ton of weight the last few years.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
01-06-2014, 11:44 PM

He's down to just really fucking fat

RustShack
01-06-2014, 11:48 PM
Shaping up to be a great staff!!

GloryDayz
01-07-2014, 09:15 AM

Good for him.. And I mean that. He's a hell of a coach and I like his style too, so this could be a great move for Iowa State...

HemiEd
01-07-2014, 09:36 AM
booger should be happy, he is an Iowa State fan.

I am glad to hear Mangino has lost weight and used to worry he was going to keel over on the sideline.

Meatloaf
01-07-2014, 09:40 AM
Guess the Iowa St boys are tough enough to handle Mangino's awful rants and occasional finger in the chest? Heck, I'm a Jayhawk, and I'm embarrassed to tears that we outed Mangino for that stuff. Sad. Anyway, all the best to Coach Mangino!

Jimmya
01-07-2014, 09:57 AM
I root for Mangino because alot of kids need discipline.

gblowfish
01-07-2014, 10:00 AM
Note to self: Invest in pork futures NOW....

Bambi
01-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Shit's about to get real.

gblowfish
01-07-2014, 10:08 AM
Shit's about to get real.

At Popeye's in Ames Iowa...

Jimmya
01-07-2014, 10:20 AM
Awesome gif!

RustShack
01-07-2014, 12:12 PM
We have a sophomore QB who played last year as a freshman after starter Richardson got hurt. Rohach completed in the elite 11 competition out of HS and both QB's are the only two freshman QB's to ever thrown 4 TD's in a single game for Iowa State(Richardson will be a Jr.)

RB Wimberly was the best player on a bad team last year, and talented junior RB Nealy will finally get a bigger role now that White, Johnson, and Woody have graduated.

WR Bundrage tied Todd Blyths TD record last year as a sophomore. 4 Star WR Montgomary who transfered in and sat out will be eligible to play. 4 star WR who was the #1 WR coming into this year will also be in the fold.

We also return a productive TE and last year we had something like 8 different starting OL combinations because it was just hit hard with injurys all year. So we have a lot of experience for guys to build off of.

Mangino has some talent to work with, Iowa State has never been this talented before. Team is bigger, faster, stronger, and deeper than ever before... They just didn't have any experience last year and our OC blew chunks.

If Iowa State finally gets good QB play, they can be real good. Especially with Wally the wizard running the defense.

BWillie
01-07-2014, 01:01 PM
I'll trade Charlie for your offensive coordinator? I'll even throw in every single starter.

KC native
01-07-2014, 01:04 PM
We have a sophomore QB who played last year as a freshman after starter Richardson got hurt. Rohach completed in the elite 11 competition out of HS and both QB's are the only two freshman QB's to ever thrown 4 TD's in a single game for Iowa State(Richardson will be a Jr.)

RB Wimberly was the best player on a bad team last year, and talented junior RB Nealy will finally get a bigger role now that White, Johnson, and Woody have graduated.

WR Bundrage tied Todd Blyths TD record last year as a sophomore. 4 Star WR Montgomary who transfered in and sat out will be eligible to play. 4 star WR who was the #1 WR coming into this year will also be in the fold.

We also return a productive TE and last year we had something like 8 different starting OL combinations because it was just hit hard with injurys all year. So we have a lot of experience for guys to build off of.

Mangino has some talent to work with, Iowa State has never been this talented before. Team is bigger, faster, stronger, and deeper than ever before... They just didn't have any experience last year and our OC blew chunks.

If Iowa State finally gets good QB play, they can be real good. Especially with Wally the wizard running the defense.

Seems like I've seen this post before.....

RustShack
01-07-2014, 01:07 PM
Seems like I've seen this post before.....

Because I made it last year, when I said we have a lot of talent but nearly everyone lacks experience.

duncan_idaho
01-07-2014, 01:21 PM
I wonder how much autonomy he gets from Rhoads.

If it's complete, I expect he'll try to embarrass ku as much as possible.

KC native
01-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Because I made it last year, when I said we have a lot of talent but nearly everyone lacks experience.

So after they suck again this year, are you going to make the same post next year?

duncan_idaho
01-07-2014, 01:33 PM

I was surprised to hear Rohach made the Elite 11. After a little research, I found that they changed the format for the 2011 class. Instead of doing the breakdowns at all the regional camps and picking 11 for the final camp, they now narrow it down to 24 at regionals and make cuts during the camp itself, then narrow it down to a final Elite 11.

Rohach made the 24. Can't find where he got cut, but he didn't make the finall 11.

Still, from what I heard, it sounds like he is a talented passer. If they're putting that much receiving talent around him and Mangino is calling the plays, he could be a sneakily successful player.

RustShack
01-07-2014, 01:34 PM
So after they suck again this year, are you going to make the same post next year?

Nah offense is what's been holding them back. CPR has hired his third OC, and I think he's finally got it right

KC native
01-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Nah offense is what's been holding them back. CPR has hired his third OC, and I think he's finally got it right

I know I'm relatively new to the Big 12 discussions, but haven't you been making these types of "This is Iowa State's year" posts for like 5 years?

ptlyon
01-07-2014, 01:37 PM
I know I'm relatively new to the Big 12 discussions, but haven't you been making these types of "This is Iowa State's year" posts for like 5 years?

No different than KC homer posts.

Get off my lawn.

BWillie
01-07-2014, 01:38 PM

I hope not. No reason to embarrass KU. KU's hands were tied. It was a big national story about abuse. You can't keep the coach due to media speculation, potential lawsuits, and recruiting. Time heals all wounds, and after time, Mangino will get another shot.

KC native
01-07-2014, 01:43 PM
No different than KC homer posts.

Get off my lawn.

I'm not a homer.

ptlyon
01-07-2014, 01:47 PM
I'm not a homer.

Sorry, meant he's not posting any different than any KC/KU/Mizzou homer posts.

Apologies

KC native
01-07-2014, 01:50 PM
Sorry, meant he's not posting any different than any KC/KU/Mizzou homer posts.

Apologies

:thumb:

RustShack
01-07-2014, 02:20 PM

Lol no. That's the other fans saying that after I say Iowa States talent level is better every year. I did think we would be real good last year, but the team under achieved big time on offense.

This year we took a big down year after losing all those senior starters, but it was still the most talented(but rawest) roster we've possibly ever had. Defiantly had some players flash big time potential.

Rhoads has has better recruiting classes literally every year, and now he has an OC to prove it. An OC who can do more with less on top of that.

KC native
01-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Lol no. That's the other fans saying that after I say Iowa States talent level is better every year. I did think we would be real good last year, but the team under achieved big time on offense.

This year we took a big down year after losing all those senior starters, but it was still the most talented(but rawest) roster we've possibly ever had. Defiantly had some players flash big time potential.

Rhoads has has better recruiting classes literally every year, and now he has an OC to prove it. An OC who can do more with less on top of that.

You lost to us at home this year. TCU was fucking awful and was easily the worst team we've had since 1999.

Underachieved is being polite.

RustShack
01-07-2014, 02:25 PM
You lost to us at home this year. TCU was ****ing awful and was easily the worst team we've had since 1999.

Underachieved is being polite.

It was a mess. We had two guys on our staff more qualified to be OC than our OC was. Wally lost his star players on defense(we lost most good players all the way around). Big time rebuild year. With good coaching we could have been in the 6-6 range again.

I'm encouraged we finished the year 2-0, and a donor came forward to bowl in our south end zone. Exciting times are ahead for sure.

Reaper16
01-07-2014, 02:27 PM

I hope he aims the bar a bit higher than that.

Jimmya
01-07-2014, 02:28 PM
I'll be rooting for Iowa St this coming year.

duncan_idaho
01-07-2014, 02:39 PM
I hope not. No reason to embarrass KU. KU's hands were tied. It was a big national story about abuse. You can't keep the coach due to media speculation, potential lawsuits, and recruiting. Time heals all wounds, and after time, Mangino will get another shot.

From what I've heard, he's pretty bitter about the whole thing and has an intense hatred for KU now.

Guess we'll see.

Saul Good
01-07-2014, 02:46 PM

Didn't they try to screw him out of a ton of money by firing him "with cause"?

warpaint*
01-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Seems like a good hire to me for Ist.

booger
01-07-2014, 04:11 PM
booger should be happy, he is an Iowa State fan.

I am glad to hear Mangino has lost weight and used to worry he was going to keel over on the sideline.

Hey man! How ya been? Yeah I'm happy. It's college and recruiting is so essential. Just got to be realistic about expectations. Got a HC in Paul Rhodes who wants to be there. He grew up in near by Ankeny, IA and is a Local happy to be home. Went through the whole hottest asst in college ball and they hired Gene Chizik. He left when the Auburn job and their most corrupt boosters in the country came calling for a puppet. Couldn't have blamed him as he was from FLA i think. Putting an egotistical guy like that with southern roots In a place like Ames just is asking for trouble.

So they got the HC hire last time around bringing Rhodes home. He couched in the sec and at Pitt under Dave Wandstadt. Best part is he wants to be there. He had a hot up and coming OC who stayed until Urban Meyer wanted him at Ohio St. Brought back some asst's with Iowa roots and promoted within for OC. Didn't work well and now he's got a good fit with Mangino. I like the fit. Does more with less type of guy. Coaching up some maybe not as talented but blue collar kids. that's what it's always going to take at a place like ISU. Now they have a HC that embraces that and that's all a guy like me can ask for. Plus through some coaching connections and past staff connections he got an old Bobby Bowden asst in Wally Burnham. He's been the DC since Rhodes came back. Now he's in his early 70's and not gonna last forever but he's good and knows a thing or two about recruiting.

They hired a new RB coach in Louis Ayeni that is an up and comer. former asst at Nwestern and played in Indy as a safety for Dungy and Lovie smith in STL. Only 33 and a former NFL(not a pro bowler and short career) player. Did the bill walsh minority internship with Lovie in Chicago. I imagine he may only be around a couple years if he turns out to be a really good recruiter. Just part of NCAA football. But I like this staff for the school. That's how they got to win. Get good coaches that want to be there. Recruit the best they can, fill in with plenty of Juco recruits and coach them up. Mangino being schematically clever or gimicky...however you want to say it, is exactly what they need for the offenses they should run. They will never get the 4 and 5 star QB recruits. Take on the guys like Reesing, Daniels, those types, put them in the spread and coach em up. Best case scenario for ISU.

Lzen
01-07-2014, 04:19 PM
Well, good for him. I wish him the best. It's too bad he is in the same conference as his old program. Good hire for ISU.

ptlyon
01-07-2014, 04:24 PM
Didn't they try to screw him out of a ton of money by firing him "with cause"?

I think you mean just cause.

"Just cause I just fired your ass, that's why"

Eleazar
01-07-2014, 04:46 PM
It was a mess. We had two guys on our staff more qualified to be OC than our OC was. Wally lost his star players on defense(we lost most good players all the way around). Big time rebuild year. With good coaching we could have been in the 6-6 range again.

I'm encouraged we finished the year 2-0, and a donor came forward to bowl in our south end zone. Exciting times are ahead for sure.

Sucklone fans are adorable

Buehler445
01-07-2014, 05:06 PM

Fuck. Iowa State didn't need Mangino to do that. They did that without him.

gblowfish
01-07-2014, 05:10 PM
These guys should be very, very, VERY afraid....
http://www.kingbuffetames.com/

booger
01-07-2014, 05:12 PM
:LOL:

htismaqe
01-07-2014, 05:25 PM
Exciting times are ahead for sure.

Come on 5 wins!

booger
01-07-2014, 05:30 PM
Come on 5 wins!

Kirk Ferentz blows sheep!

htismaqe
01-07-2014, 05:31 PM
Kirk Ferentz blows sheep!

ROFL

You wish you had a coach as good as Ferentz. Paul Rhoads is an ugly cheerleader.

booger
01-07-2014, 05:34 PM
ROFL

You wish you had a coach as good as Ferentz. Paul Rhoads is an ugly cheerleader.

Yes butt he is our ugly cheerleader damnitt!!
He does have kinda a snaggle tooth thing going on. But that's what paper bags are for

notorious
01-07-2014, 05:35 PM
He is going to hang out at ISU until Snyder retires.....

Prison Bitch
01-07-2014, 05:36 PM
From what I've heard, he's pretty bitter about the whole thing and has an intense hatred for KU now.

Guess we'll see.

I'm sure your inside sources are just stellar.

Prison Bitch
01-07-2014, 05:39 PM
He is going to hang out at ISU until Snyder retires.....

Boy if the sheephumpers ever wanted to drive KU fans berserk, just roll Mangino into Lawrence and run it up. Mass wailing.

jspchief
01-07-2014, 05:54 PM
Biggest coaching hire in isu football history (pun notwithstanding).

And yes, rustshack takes homer to a new level.

duncan_idaho
01-07-2014, 07:07 PM
I'm sure your inside sources are just stellar.

Former colleague who is friendly with Mangino and went to dinner with him a few years ago when he was near where Mangino was living down there.

But keep talking out of your ass, man. Its become a theme at this place.

RustShack
01-07-2014, 09:44 PM
We would have been decent if Herman didn't leave us for the Ohio State OC. Promoting Messingham to OC set us back two years, but Mangino should work out for us better in the long run.

Discuss Thrower
01-07-2014, 10:04 PM
Former colleague who is friendly with Mangino and went to dinner with him a few years ago when he was near where Mangino was living down there.

But keep talking out of your ass, man. Its become a theme at this place.

Heh. Assman.

htismaqe
01-08-2014, 07:47 AM
We would have been decent if Herman didn't leave us for the Ohio State OC. Promoting Messingham to OC set us back two years, but Mangino should work out for us better in the long run.

Set you back from what? An appearance in the Little Caesar's Pizza Bowl? :p

RustShack
01-16-2014, 05:26 PM
I think we are hiring his son to be our QB coach. He was previously assisting the QB's at Arkansas.