PDA

View Full Version : Misc Debate about the use of frequent emergency alerts sent to cell phones

DaFace
02-19-2014, 10:39 AM
In an effort to get it out of the other thread, here's a new one.

Pablo
02-19-2014, 10:39 AM
Good call.

TLO
02-19-2014, 10:40 AM
Yes, this would be a better place to discuss this issue.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 10:42 AM
Though I don't think the other thread was the place to debate it, I do agree with King that alerts going out one minute apart are completely excessive. It would make more sense to send it only once unless there is new information available.

The timing sounds like it was also pretty annoying. I'd be pretty irritated if I were woken up at 6am with an Amber Alert. Chances are, I wouldn't have seen the girl while lying in bed. Or at least, if I did, I'd have bigger issues on my hands than annoyance with my cell phone.

KCUnited
02-19-2014, 10:43 AM
Katie Horner's true calling.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 10:49 AM
Though I don't think the other thread was the place to debate it, I do agree with King that alerts going out one minute apart are completely excessive. It would make more sense to send it only once unless there is new information available.

The timing sounds like it was also pretty annoying. I'd be pretty irritated if I were woken up at 6am with an Amber Alert. Chances are, I wouldn't have seen the girl while lying in bed. Or at least, if I did, I'd have bigger issues on my hands than annoyance with my cell phone.
LoneWolf and Brainiac should be along shortly to tell you what a heartless, soulless bastard you are.

SAUTO
02-19-2014, 10:50 AM
this is a fucking stupid discussion.

who really gives a fuck if they alert you every fucking second if it gives even a 1% better chance of saving a child's life.

quit bitching about stupid shit

SAUTO
02-19-2014, 10:52 AM
LoneWolf and Brainiac should be along shortly to tell you what a heartless, soulless bastard you are.

the child was killed. anyone bitching about getting some text alerts and a stupid siren on their phone is focusing on the totally wrong thing

DaFace

who really gives a fuck if they alert you every fucking second if it gives even a 1% better chance of saving a child's life.

King's point is certainly valid, though. He was literally getting a text per minute. There's absolutely no reason for that, and the most likely result is that a ton of people will opt out of the alerts entirely, rendering them less effective overall.

King_Chief_Fan

you don't know how to shut off the phone?

warrior
02-19-2014, 10:54 AM
this is a ****ing stupid discussion.

who really gives a **** if they alert you every ****ing second if it gives even a 1% better chance of saving a child's life.

couldn't agree more

DaFace
02-19-2014, 10:54 AM

Eh, I think it's the timing of it all. If it hadn't been in a thread that was so emotionally involved, I doubt there'd be such a ruckus.

Do I think it's a big deal for people to live with an alert here and there if it'll help save a life? Certainly not. But do I think that the way it was handled could potentially damage the system's usefulness? Absolutely.

SAUTO
02-19-2014, 10:55 AM
King's point is certainly valid, though. He was literally getting a text per minute. There's absolutely no reason for that, and the most likely result is that a ton of people will opt out of the alerts entirely, rendering them less effective overall.

something was wrong there. my wife got 4 total texts.

again a text a second would be worth it if they would have found that child alive because of them.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 10:55 AM

So you're suggesting people shut their phones off religiously every night so that they don't have to get an alert once a year or so?

SAUTO
02-19-2014, 10:56 AM

wait... it said he got those texts in the AM... this all happened at night

DaFace
02-19-2014, 10:56 AM
something was wrong there. my wife got 4 total texts.

again a text a second would be worth it if they would have found that child alive because of them.

Right, but that's not my point. My point is that, if you annoy people, they will shut you off. Period. This isn't about anyone saying "boo hoo, I was moderately inconvenienced, so it's not worth saving the girl's life." It's about a system that will lose effectiveness if it's handled the way it was today.

Titty Meat
02-19-2014, 10:57 AM
I turned my alerts off after getting several within 20 mins about flooding after a rain storm

Big Poppa Payne
King's beef shouldn't be with the Amber Alert System, it should be with his mobile service provider. I have Verizon and they sent me 2 alerts, not an alert every other minute like King received.

With that being said I could care less if they sent me an alert every 15 seconds and interrupted every channel on my TV if it meant saving a little girls life.

SAUTO
Right, but that's not my point. My point is that, if you annoy people, they will shut you off. Period. This isn't about anyone saying "boo hoo, I was moderately inconvenienced, so it's not worth saving the girl's life." It's about a system that will lose effectiveness if it's handled the way it was today.

again how come those texts came through in the AM?

Just Passin' By
02-19-2014, 10:58 AM
The first thing I did when I got my new phone was shut off the alerts.

Problem solved

DaFace
02-19-2014, 10:58 AM
wait... it said he got those texts in the AM... this all happened at night

Yep.

http://i.imgur.com/UYWqVd1.jpg

So perhaps there's just something that malfunctioned in the system here. :shrug:

DaFace
02-19-2014, 10:59 AM
King's beef shouldn't be with the Amber Alert System, it should be with his mobile service provider. I have Verizon and they sent me 2 alerts, not an alert every other minute like King received.

With that being said I could care less if they sent me an alert every 15 seconds and interrupted every channel on my TV if it meant saving a little girls life.

Yeah, for the record, I've got no issue whatsoever with the alerts on TV. If TV were a one-to-one system, that'd be one thing, but the technology just isn't there to let you "dismiss" an alert on TV on an individual level. Given that, repeating the alert on TV makes perfect sense.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 11:04 AM
Now that I got that out of the way, apparently there are some misconceptions about what the Amber Alert was designed to do. It is in place to make people aware of a situation and be on the lookout as they live their lives. While it would be fantastic if everyone in a six state area could drop what they're doing and go on a massive manhunt, that's not feasible and anyone who thinks that's what's supposed to happen is living in a fantasy world. I prefer to live in reality.

And the reality is, if you have people opting out due to excessive texts, that's one less outlet available to get the message out, and defeats the purpose. I don't think it's unreasonable to not want your personal phone that you rely on to live your life unnecessarily blown up to the point you have to consider silencing it or shutting it off.

And no one, I mean NO ONE in the other thread complained about "their favorite TV show being interrupted." But yet that was brought up by one jackass multiple times. It's a shame that you can't have a reasonable discussion about a serious issue without certain assholes blowing what one says out of proportion.

And lastly, we can take every possible extreme measure to try to prevent such tragedies from taking place, but as shown in this case, sometimes they simply can't be prevented. The human race shows its ugly side on occasion. I don't like it any more than anyone else. What's important is to not completely overreact and throw out knee-jerk solutions that will not solve the problems. No amount of Amber Alerts are going to save every child from a predator. No amount of gun control is going to stop every school shooting. Throwing people in prison for life for a DWI won't prevent idiots from getting behind the wheel drunk and killing people. It's just the sad reality of life.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything about such issues, but what I am saying is there are always going to be limits to the effectiveness of them and we have to be rational about how apply the systems we put in place.

/mic drop.

blaise
02-19-2014, 11:07 AM
this is a ****ing stupid discussion.

who really gives a **** if they alert you every ****ing second if it gives even a 1% better chance of saving a child's life.

It's not a stupid discussion. Just because there's a system it doesn't mean the system can't be improved.

SAUTO
02-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Yep.

http://i.imgur.com/UYWqVd1.jpg

So perhaps there's just something that malfunctioned in the system here. :shrug:

he had his phone off and they all came through at once im betting...

if so it makes his bitching seem even more silly...

OrtonsPiercedTaint
Sorry people that work the graveyard shift. Now that you see the daylight, good luck getting back to sleep & not cutting your hand off in the meat slicer tonight.

SAUTO
It's not a stupid discussion. Just because there's a system it doesn't mean the system can't be improved.

its stupid because those texts weren't even sent out at the times he got them...

King_Chief_Fan
02-19-2014, 11:12 AM
So you're suggesting people shut their phones off religiously every night so that they don't have to get an alert once a year or so?

if that shuts they whiney putz up....yes

TLO
02-19-2014, 11:14 AM
The first thing I did when I got my new phone was shut off the alerts.

Problem solved

I did this as well. I'm involved in enough social media that I still had all the information as soon as the alert was issued.

I understand people being annoyed when they get flooded with messgaes, but do a little research if you need to, and simply turn the messages off if that's what you want to do.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 11:15 AM
if that shuts they whiney putz up....yes

Or they could just opt out, lessening the effectiveness of the system as described above.

Rain Man
02-19-2014, 11:16 AM
I would support these more if they did them for lost pets.

Titty Meat
02-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Now that I got that out of the way, apparently there are some misconceptions about what the Amber Alert was designed to do. It is in place to make people aware of a situation and be on the lookout as they live their lives. While it would be fantastic if everyone in a six state area could drop what they're doing and go on a massive manhunt, that's not feasible and anyone who thinks that's what's supposed to happen is living in a fantasy world. I prefer to live in reality.

And the reality is, if you have people opting out due to excessive texts, that's one less outlet available to get the message out, and defeats the purpose. I don't think it's unreasonable to not want your personal phone that you rely on to live your life unnecessarily blown up to the point you have to consider silencing it or shutting it off.

And no one, I mean NO ONE in the other thread complained about "their favorite TV show being interrupted." But yet that was brought up by one jackass multiple times. It's a shame that you can't have a reasonable discussion about a serious issue without certain assholes blowing what one says out of proportion.

And lastly, we can take every possible extreme measure to try to prevent such tragedies from taking place, but as shown in this case, sometimes they simply can't be prevented. The human race shows its ugly side on occasion. I don't like it any more than anyone else. What's important is to not completely overreact and throw out knee-jerk solutions that will not solve the problems. No amount of Amber Alerts are going to save every child from a predator. No amount of gun control is going to stop every school shooting. Throwing people in prison for life for a DWI won't prevent idiots from getting behind the wheel drunk and killing people. It's just the sad reality of life.

I'm not saying we shouldn't do anything about such issues, but what I am saying is there are always going to be limits to the effectiveness of them and we have to be rational about how apply the systems we put in place.

/mic drop.

I wouldn't put much stock into what brainiac (ironic screen name) says. Hes incapable of having a discussion in which he agrees to disagree with someone. He represents a small minority that make CP a shitty place at times. I remember last month discussing how Andy Reid didn't deserve coach of the year for blowing a 28 point lead. "Brainiac" goes on some rant calling me names and brings up his weird obsession with me supporting a political candidate from 2 years ago. Funny he had a problem with what you said but had no problem hijacking the thread.

Anyway here's the flaw with Amber alerts: the girl was abducted at 4:48 the alert wasn't sent out until 7? She was most likely already dead by then. Bugeater is right they aren't going to fix this.

Johnny Vegas
02-19-2014, 11:18 AM

why do you have to shut off your phone to stop getting alerts by the minute? thats not fair to the people trying to reach you by phone.

King_Chief_Fan
02-19-2014, 11:18 AM
Or they could just opt out, lessening the effectiveness of the system as described above.

yup, there is that too.

TLO
02-19-2014, 11:21 AM
why do you have to shut off your phone to stop getting alerts by the minute? thats not fair to the people trying to reach you by phone.

TURN OFF THE GOD DAMN MESSAGES. IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT.

Pablo
02-19-2014, 11:22 AM
Just opt out of the messages. You'll miss amber alerts, tornado warnings and the like; but it's pretty simple to do.

Eleazar
02-19-2014, 11:23 AM
I turned the gubment texts off a long time ago.

wazu
02-19-2014, 11:23 AM
I don't mind the alerts. I will say I got a bit desensitized to Amber Alerts in general when they were first being pushed out because the ones I heard always ended up being "family abductions".

From looking at the Amber Alert wiki, it looks like most law enforcement agencies now won't issue an Amber Alert for these, stating the requirement that the child's life must be in significant danger.

Two things I think they should do:

1. Add a picture of what the car looks like. It doesn't have to be the same car. I just don't know what every make and model of car looks like, and when I'm out in my car and get one of these texts it's not a great time to google it. I'm not even sure what color is classified as "gold". Is that the same as yellow?

2. Add picture of child and obviously any suspect if possible.

J Diddy
02-19-2014, 11:25 AM

If it is that infrequent why the complaints? seems like more time is spent bitching about the texts then getting/reading the texts.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 11:25 AM
I'M NOT SURE EVERYONE IS AWARE THAT YOU CAN DO THAT. DID THAT THOUGHT EVER CROSS YOUR MIND? USE YOUR GODDAMN BRAIN, IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT.

Eleazar
02-19-2014, 11:26 AM
Too much data, pushing out all those photos to every cellphone in the land

Johnny Vegas
02-19-2014, 11:26 AM

seems like the more alerts people get they end up turning the alert feature off. I don't see how constant alerts are effective if people are turning them off. right?

Saulbadguy
02-19-2014, 11:30 AM

See parable: "The Boy who Cried Wolf"

TLO
02-19-2014, 11:31 AM
I'M NOT SURE EVERYONE IS AWARE THAT YOU CAN DO THAT. DID THAT THOUGHT EVER CROSS YOUR MIND? USE YOUR GODDAMN BRAIN, IT'S NOT THAT DIFFICULT.

Do some research, figure out how to solve the problem if it bothers you so much and it stops you from using your phone. People will bitch about anything.

Saulbadguy
02-19-2014, 11:32 AM
Just opt out of the messages. You'll miss amber alerts, tornado warnings and the like; but it's pretty simple to do.

That's what I did. I opted out of Amber Alerts and kept "Government Alerts"

TLO
02-19-2014, 11:34 AM
seems like the more alerts people get they end up turning the alert feature off. I don't see how constant alerts are effective if people are turning them off. right?

I don't know man. I'm just angry about the situation, not really the people complaining about getting all the texts.

Sorry for my all caps rage.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 11:36 AM
Do some research, figure out how to solve the problem if it bothers you so much and it stops you from using your phone. People will bitch about anything.
Yeah, I'm totally sure you have never complained about anything in your life and have always solved all of your problems completely on your own. If only the rest of the world could be as awesome as Big Smoke.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 11:36 AM

Again, this isn't a discussion about whether or not people should be irritated. From a systems standpoint, you can't control that. The question is how the system could be improved so that fewer people are irritated.

-King-
02-19-2014, 11:37 AM
he had his phone off and they all came through at once im betting...

if so it makes his bitching seem even more silly...

No my phone hasn't been off in a few days.

And I can confirm it isn't just my mobile provider that was getting the texts so frequently.
Posted via Mobile Device

wazu
02-19-2014, 11:38 AM
Yesterday evening I received two alerts 30 minutes apart, then this morning I got two at the exact same time. A grand total of four messages on my phone. The ones this morning were almost certainly a mistake since it was all over by then. This is with an iPhone on AT&T.

SAUTO
02-19-2014, 11:40 AM
No my phone hasn't been off in a few days
Posted via Mobile Device

well for some reason you got all the texts at once, probably should be complaining about your provider and not the alerts

Molitoth
02-19-2014, 11:40 AM
One Amber Alert is fine.
I read it and kept it in mind. (although I was already in for the night).

After a few more alerts and my wife getting woke up from one, she demanded I turn them off. So I did. No more Amber Alerts to my phone.

TLO
02-19-2014, 11:41 AM
Yeah, I'm totally sure you have never complained about anything in your life and have always solved all of your problems completely on your own. If only the rest of the world could be as awesome as Big Smoke.

Whatever. I've stated that I'm angry about the situation, not about the people bitching about the number of texts they've received.

Eleazar
02-19-2014, 11:42 AM
It's not unbelievable that someone would ask the question, "Does sending out frequent messages cause a lot of people to turn the messages off, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the messages?". Jeez.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 11:44 AM
Whatever. I've stated that I'm angry about the situation, not about the people bitching about the number of texts they've received.
Well you are in the wrong thread then. This is the thread for either bitching about the number of texts sent out, or bitching about the people who are bitching about the number of texts sent out, or bitching about the people who are bitching about the people who are bitching about the number of texts sent out.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-19-2014, 11:46 AM
It's not like someone complaining about wanting a lathered mob to rip his liver out. Most understand the sentiment.

Rain Man
02-19-2014, 11:47 AM
See parable: "The Boy who Cried Wolf"

I would find wolf alerts to be quite valuable.

TLO
02-19-2014, 11:47 AM
Well you are in the wrong thread then. This is the thread for either bitching about the number of texts sent out, or bitching about the people who are bitching about the number of texts sent out, or bitching about the people who are bitching about the people who are bitching about the number of texts sent out.

Fair enough.

WakkaWakka
02-19-2014, 11:48 AM

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Turn+off+Amber+alerts+on+cell+phone

Johnny Vegas
02-19-2014, 11:51 AM
It's not unbelievable that someone would ask the question, "Does sending out frequent messages cause a lot of people to turn the messages off, thereby reducing the effectiveness of the messages?". Jeez.

exactly. people are just going to turn off the alerts thus making the whole amber alert system counter-productive to its meaningful use. there should be alert system no doubt. Maybe they should add a check-in feature to tell the app you've acknowledged the alert so it won't continue to annoy you or others.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 11:52 AM
One Amber Alert is fine.
I read it and kept it in mind. (although I was already in for the night).

After a few more alerts and my wife getting woke up from one, she demanded I turn them off. So I did. No more Amber Alerts to my phone.

OMG STOP BITCHING YOU STUPID PRICK, YOU COULD HAVE SAVED A LIFE!!!

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 11:53 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Turn+off+Amber+alerts+on+cell+phone
Oh cute, the "let me google that for you" response. Now that's something fresh and original!

WakkaWakka
02-19-2014, 11:54 AM
Oh cute, the "let me google that for you" response. Now that's something fresh and original!

Just sayin, if you simply googled it you would be able to find out that they can be turned off. Not that hard.

-King-
02-19-2014, 11:54 AM
well for some reason you got all the texts at once, probably should be complaining about your provider and not the alerts

They weren't all at once. Those are just some of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

wazu
02-19-2014, 11:55 AM

These things happen like 2-3 times per year. If somebody is so put out by it that they go to the trouble of disabling alerts, then it's a pretty good bet they don't give a shit anyway.

TLO
02-19-2014, 11:56 AM
OMG STOP BITCHING YOU STUPID PRICK, YOU COULD HAVE SAVED A LIFE!!!

Again, this isn't a discussion about whether or not people should be irritated. From a systems standpoint, you can't control that. The question is how the system could be improved so that fewer people are irritated

TLO
02-19-2014, 11:57 AM
These things happen like 2-3 times per year. If somebody is so put out by it that they go to the trouble of disabling alerts, then it's a pretty good bet they don't give a shit anyway.

You can disable the alerts and still give a shit and be informed about the situation.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 11:58 AM
Just sayin, if you simply googled it you would be able to find out that they can be turned off. Not that hard.
Yes, the fact that they can indeed be turned off has been pointed out already, but thanks anyway for the breaking news, Ace. Although, not everyone knew that when their phones were blowing up overnight.

WakkaWakka
02-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Yes, the fact that they can indeed be turned off has been pointed out already, but thanks anyway for the breaking news, Ace. Although, not everyone knew that when their phones were blowing up overnight.

It's easy to find, that was my point.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 12:07 PM
It's easy to find, that was my point.Everyone knows how to use Google. Apparently you just want to fit in with the rest of the jackasses that infest this place.

Jimmya
02-19-2014, 12:08 PM
People getting all nutzo.... Even over text messages that may save a life.

Eleazar
02-19-2014, 12:09 PM
I think we should pass a law requiring everyone to wear pink all the time for breast cancer awareness.

Buzz
02-19-2014, 12:22 PM
Gotta say the alerts didn't bother me, then again I was in the garage, drinking natty light and texting Bubba.

wazu
02-19-2014, 12:32 PM
You can disable the alerts and still give a shit and be informed about the situation.

I guess. They just give way less of a shit and are informed later than the rest of us, if at all.

srvy
02-19-2014, 12:55 PM
I got the alert around 7 pm then received another about 1 hour later. After the second one I put my finger on the dismiss and did not receive another. I did get a message when my phone went into sleep mode and I woke it displaying the amber alert. This is on a Nokia windows phone using ATT towers thru H2O wireless. I didn't feel put out or bothered.

I would suspect the same folks that get upset about the Amber alert are the same folks that blow a gasket out driveing when something doesnt go there way.

TLO
02-19-2014, 01:04 PM
I got the alert around 7 pm then received another about 1 hour later. After the second one I put my finger on the dismiss and did not receive another. I did get a message when my phone went into sleep mode and I woke it displaying the amber alert. This is on a Nokia windows phone using ATT towers thru H2O wireless. I didn't feel put out or bothered.

I would suspect the same folks that get upset about the Amber alert are the same folks that blow a gasket out driveing when something doesnt go there way.

Agreed.

WakkaWakka
02-19-2014, 01:04 PM
Everyone knows how to use Google. Apparently you just want to fit in with the rest of the jackasses that infest this place.

Has nothing to do with wanting to fit in, I'm all for anything that may save a life. As a father, I would want the word spread in any way possible. Maybe if/when you have kids someday you'll understand.

Just Passin' By
02-19-2014, 01:06 PM

You only need one alert, unless there are significant changes that are critical to pass on. Anything else is redundant.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
02-19-2014, 01:10 PM
I've been in places where you are not allowed to have cell phones. Wonder if it turned on people's phones and got them fired.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 01:11 PM
You only need one alert, unless there are significant changes that are critical to pass on. Anything else is redundant.

Yep, that's my opinion - only send a new one when there's new info to be delivered. Repeating it makes sense on TV when people aren't watching all the time, but on phones, there's no need for more than one.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Has nothing to do with wanting to fit in, I'm all for anything that may save a life. As a father, I would want the word spread in any way possible. Maybe if/when you have kids someday you'll understand.
Not only are you being a condescending jerk, you're also being as thick headed as some of the other people here. If you want the word spread, how does it help if people are disabling the alerts due to the excessive nature of them? You don't see the obvious conflict in that?

And I have a kid btw. But feel free to make any assumptions you want about me. It's what all the cool kids do.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 01:19 PM
Yep, that's my opinion - only send a new one when there's new info to be delivered. Repeating it makes sense on TV when people aren't watching all the time, but on phones, there's no need for more than one.
How do they work when they come on TV? Is it just a crawl on the screen, or do they completely interrupt programming?

DaFace
02-19-2014, 01:22 PM
How do they work when they come on TV? Is it just a crawl on the screen, or do they completely interrupt programming?

I'm assuming it's like tornado warnings, where they completely interrupt all channels.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 01:31 PM
I'm assuming it's like tornado warnings, where they completely interrupt all channels.
That seems excessive as well, you'd think a crawl would be adequate.

Whether some of us like it or not, the more you annoy people with this stuff, the less they'll pay attention to it. Not saying it's right, and I'm not saying the measures they are taking aren't justified, I'm just saying that's how people are.

Either way, they definitely don't need to be interrupting programming in Topeka for an abduction in Springfield. Those two cities are 4 hours apart.

FRCDFED
02-19-2014, 01:32 PM
Eh, I think it's the timing of it all. If it hadn't been in a thread that was so emotionally involved, I doubt there'd be such a ruckus.

Do I think it's a big deal for people to live with an alert here and there if it'll help save a life? Certainly not. But do I think that the way it was handled could potentially damage the system's usefulness? Absolutely.

New question: How is the Amber Alert System able to determine if you are in bed asleep or working the late shift and on your way home?

It doesn't matter the time of day or night. If a child is in danger then people need to listen up and take action to search their immediate vicinity if possible to help locate the child. It is the LEAST you could do to help save a life!

If it were my child I would want everyone out of bed and searching and frankly I could care less if it interupted anyones attempt to get rest. If you saved my childs life then I would owe you mine!!!

I doubt when the Amber Alert system was created authorities were worried that someone would be "bothered." Especially when that is exactly the purpose of the system to attempt to get help from the public. Maybe some on here think that should be left up to the police.........oh wait, some on CP hate cops too.

FRCDFED
02-19-2014, 01:35 PM
That seems excessive as well, you'd think a crawl would be adequate.

Whether some of us like it or not, the more you annoy people with this stuff, the less they'll pay attention to it. Not saying it's right, and I'm not saying the measures they are taking aren't justified, I'm just saying that's how people are.

Either way, they definitely don't need to be interrupting programming in Topeka for an abduction in Springfield. Those two cities are 4 hours apart.

Excessive? JFC

Lex Luthor
02-19-2014, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't put much stock into what brainiac (ironic screen name) says. Hes incapable of having a discussion in which he agrees to disagree with someone. He represents a small minority that make CP a shitty place at times. I remember last month discussing how Andy Reid didn't deserve coach of the year for blowing a 28 point lead. "Brainiac" goes on some rant calling me names and brings up his weird obsession with me supporting a political candidate from 2 years ago. Funny he had a problem with what you said but had no problem hijacking the thread.

My first thought upon reading this post was "Who the hell ARE you?". Then I saw that you are actually Billay / Bo's Pelini, and it all became clear.

You and I don't get along. We never have. If you would like to start over and let bygones be bygones, that's fine. I can do that.

Do you want to start over, or do you want to get into one of those retarded Internet feuds that wind up completely boring everybody else and make us both look like idiots?

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Excessive? JFC
Sorry, but it is what it is. I'm sorry you don't like it.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 01:54 PM
New question: How is the Amber Alert System able to determine if you are in bed asleep or working the late shift and on your way home?

It doesn't matter the time of day or night. If a child is in danger then people need to listen up and take action to search their immediate vicinity if possible to help locate the child. It is the LEAST you could do to help save a life!

If it were my child I would want everyone out of bed and searching and frankly I could care less if it interupted anyones attempt to get rest. If you saved my childs life then I would owe you mine!!!

I doubt when the Amber Alert system was created authorities were worried that someone would be "bothered." Especially when that is exactly the purpose of the system to attempt to get help from the public. Maybe some on here think that should be left up to the police.........oh wait, some on CP hate cops too.

Again, that's all well and good, but we're talking about an issue that is driving some people to turn off alerts entirely. Rather than "I could care less if it interupted anyones attempt to get rest" we should be asking "How much will this hurt all future kids' chances by being so intrusive."

In email marketing, there's a balance between providing useful information that people want and overwhelming them with so much information that they eventually bail out entirely. This is the same thing, and those that keep acting like this is a problem individuals need to just get over are missing the entire point.

Just Passin' By
02-19-2014, 02:03 PM

Are you on drugs?

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 02:06 PM

If you lived in Springfield you would expect everyone in Kansas City and Topeka to jump up and start searching for your child?

You are obviously misunderstanding the purpose of an Amber Alert. As I mentioned earlier, the idea of it is to make people aware of the situation and to be on the lookout, not organize a nationwide manhunt.

Brock
02-19-2014, 02:09 PM

Nobody is going to do that. The purpose of amber alerts isn't to get a bunch of people out driving around aimlessly.

srvy
02-19-2014, 02:12 PM
I dont think the carriers should be allowed to have a setting to completely disable amber alerts.

What I do think is like on my phone after first initial alert you can dismiss the alert. And when phone goes to sleep as you wake it up the text massage appears of the alert and you minimise it with a button. The only disable for an amber alert should be a toggle to recieve text and sound message or vibrate and text.

As for working in an environment that doesn't allow personal cell phones well you shouldn't have it with your or it should be turned off. The reason for the repeated alerts are for people that may have there phone off or are away from the phone. You get your breaktime on your phone and get the message .

Just my 2 cents maybe be better ideas out there keep them coming.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 02:14 PM
I dont think the carriers should be allowed to have a setting to completely disable amber alerts.

Oh yeah, forcing things on to people always goes over well.

srvy
02-19-2014, 02:15 PM
If you lived in Springfield you would expect everyone in Kansas City and Topeka to jump up and start searching for your child?

You are obviously misunderstanding the purpose of an Amber Alert. As I mentioned earlier, the idea of it is to make people aware of the situation and to be on the lookout, not organize a nationwide manhunt.

The child was abducted near 5 pm alerts were out around 7 PM for all anyone knew that creep could have been on his way to kc or anywhere. Anyone traveling may have seen the alert and seen someone that matched the description and alerted the highway patrol.

srvy
02-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Oh yeah, forcing things on to people always goes over well.

The FCC regulates everything these carriers do your forced to except it.

Your cellphone taxes like it or not pay for the amber alerts. Demand to improve it and make it better don't just dismiss it as an annoyance.

Just Passin' By
02-19-2014, 02:20 PM

:banghead:

Stay the fuck out of my phone.

wazu
02-19-2014, 02:21 PM
One interesting thing I learned through this - my old cellphone, which does not have service anymore, received these alerts. Apparently even though it says "no service", it has service for calling "911" and receiving emergency messages like this only. (I use it as an iPod now which is the only reason it was on.)

Titty Meat
02-19-2014, 02:22 PM
My first thought upon reading this post was "Who the hell ARE you?". Then I saw that you are actually Billay / Bo's Pelini, and it all became clear.

You and I don't get along. We never have. If you would like to start over and let bygones be bygones, that's fine. I can do that.

Do you want to start over, or do you want to get into one of those retarded Internet feuds that wind up completely boring everybody else and make us both look like idiots?

I have no beef with you if you stick on topic. It's cool to disagree.

srvy
02-19-2014, 02:25 PM
:banghead:

Stay the **** out of my phone.

Tell that to the NSA!

As much as you think its your phone it is highly regulated by the FCC.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 02:26 PM
The child was abducted near 5 pm alerts were out around 7 PM for all anyone knew that creep could have been on his way to kc or anywhere. Anyone traveling may have seen the alert and seen someone that matched the description and alerted the highway patrol.
Yeah, that was my point. Be on the lookout.

The FCC regulates everything these carriers do your forced to except it.

Your cellphone taxes like it or not pay for the amber alerts. Demand to improve it and make it better don't just dismiss it as an annoyance.
Well that's the point of this discussion, but forcing things on to people isn't making it better.

Just Passin' By
02-19-2014, 02:29 PM
Tell that to the NSA!

As much as you think its your phone it is highly regulated by the FCC.

And I oppose that, while you seem willing to blow them for doing it. So, to repeat, stay the fuck out of my phone.

srvy
02-19-2014, 02:43 PM
And I oppose that, while you seem willing to blow them for doing it. So, to repeat, stay the **** out of my phone.

Its a communication device regulated by the FCC it always has been always will be. You use it because the FCC allows you to. Kinda like a car its a privilege not a right. It wasn't intended for your tweet or fb time or frequency of your bowel movements. They give you that right and can take away just as fast. You can insult and say what you will about me on this. The fact is they will do as they wish and if they want they will send you a emergency message. That was what Communication devises were meant for not a mind numbing game of flapy bird.

Just like emanate domain the its there to take your land for the betterment of all and is not one damn thing we can do about it.

Just Passin' By
02-19-2014, 03:03 PM
Its a communication device regulated by the FCC it always has been always will be. You use it because the FCC allows you to. Kinda like a car its a privilege not a right. It wasn't intended for your tweet or fb time or frequency of your bowel movements. They give you that right and can take away just as fast. You can insult and say what you will about me on this. The fact is they will do as they wish and if they want they will send you a emergency message. That was what Communication devises were meant for not a mind numbing game of flapy bird.

Just like emanate domain the its there to take your land for the betterment of all and is not one damn thing we can do about it.

Are you truly this blind to the point of this debate?

Also, just because you're willing to parrot the bullshit the gov't puts out, why do you expect everyone else to do the same?

srvy
02-19-2014, 03:41 PM
Not parroting anything here. Just stating the facts. Fact is in order for carriors to operate they must follow the FCC rules. All communication devises must be able to break off normal activities and broadcast emergency info fact.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 03:43 PM
Not parroting anything here. Just stating the facts. Fact is in order for carriors to operate they must follow the FCC rules. All communication devises must be able to break off normal activities and broadcast emergency info fact.
Well that's not true because I have a communication device sitting right next to me that has never broken off normal activities to broadcast emergency information.

DaFace
02-19-2014, 03:43 PM

Don't tell that to DirecTV.

Phobia
02-19-2014, 03:48 PM
I got 2 of them, roughly an hour apart in the evening last night - 7:10ish and 8:15ish. They didn't bother me at all. I can understand somebody opting out after 5 or 6 though. Especially all night long and especially since that alarm sounds even if you have your phone muted.

Just Passin' By
02-19-2014, 03:56 PM

You're not just stating facts. You started off by stating your opinion, which was "I dont think the carriers should be allowed to have a setting to completely disable amber alerts." Since then, you've been spouting a bunch of statist bullshit in an attempt to justify your first position.

And that's a fact.

Rain Man
02-19-2014, 03:58 PM
Well that's not true because I have a communication device sitting right next to me that has never broken off normal activities to broadcast emergency information.

Actually, that's just a can of beer.

patteeu
02-19-2014, 04:06 PM
I got 2 of them, roughly an hour apart in the evening last night - 7:10ish and 8:15ish. They didn't bother me at all. I can understand somebody opting out after 5 or 6 though. Especially all night long and especially since that alarm sounds even if you have your phone muted.

Same here. The first one startled me because it was loud and it was an alert sound I don't normally use, but it was really no big deal.

srvy
02-19-2014, 05:35 PM
You're not just stating facts. You started off by stating your opinion, which was "I dont think the carriers should be allowed to have a setting to completely disable amber alerts." Since then, you've been spouting a bunch of statist bullshit in an attempt to justify your first position.

And that's a fact.

I stand corrected as reading the FCC reports cellular wireless providers have the option to opt in the emergency alerts, and at what level is entirely up to them.

As for OTA TV, Digital cable TV, Digital satellite TV and wireless 2 way communication its mandatory by the FCC.

Sorry for the confusion I may have caused. As for the fellow who got bombarded with alerts maybe look for a carrier that doesn't opt in as aggressively.

ThaVirus
02-19-2014, 06:39 PM

Yeah, the only time I've ever received an amber alert to my phone a child was abducted in Miami. I'm in Orlando, which is about 4 hours away, but if I were driving on I-95 or the turnpike I would have been on the lookout for the vehicle.

tk13
02-19-2014, 06:56 PM
I think generally speaking the people who disable these things aren't going to really be concerned or on the lookout anyway, so the situation kind of sorts itself out.

Iowanian
02-19-2014, 07:01 PM
I don't mind the alerts, but it doesn't make much sense to be getting them 300 miles from the event.

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 07:03 PM
I am curious as to why it took 2 hours to get the Amber Alert issued, seems like it would be pretty ineffective at that point. I've always heard that first hour or two after an abduction are the most critical.

patteeu
02-19-2014, 07:05 PM
I don't mind the alerts, but it doesn't make much sense to be getting them 300 miles from the event.

It could make sense in some cases if the authorities have reason to think the suspect might head toward your area and if he's had time to get there. But in general, I agree that it wouldn't make sense to shotgun these alerts out over such a wide area without a reason like that if Amber Alert overload is a concern.

Buzz
02-19-2014, 09:23 PM
I am curious as to why it took 2 hours to get the Amber Alert issued, seems like it would be pretty ineffective at that point. I've always heard that first hour or two after an abduction are the most critical.

That was being discussed on the radio during the drive home

Bugeater
02-19-2014, 09:43 PM
That was being discussed on the radio during the drive homeAnd???

Demonpenz
02-19-2014, 09:46 PM
sorry for your loss mtg.

Titty Meat
02-25-2014, 10:25 PM
Anyone else just get an amber alert about some girl from texas spotted in lenexa?

LoneWolf
02-25-2014, 10:30 PM
Anyone else just get an amber alert about some girl from texas spotted in lenexa?

Received the alert about 30 minutes ago. No mention of her being spotted in Lenexa though.

Dayze
02-25-2014, 10:38 PM
i heard it on my iPad damn near at the same time as when I saw it on the news.