PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs "The way it looks now back-up Geoff Schwartz ... will likely sign elsewhere."

Pages : 1 [2]

OldSchool
03-01-2014, 01:59 AM
I just don't understand not keeping Schwartz.The line as a whole played better with him on the field. A rookie isn't going to be better next year but there are WR's out there easily better than anyone not named Bowe.

We can't afford him apparently, not if we want to have room to accomplish stuff like extensions for Smith, Houston, etc. while filling other holes and still having enough room to sign our draft picks.

RippedmyFlesh
03-01-2014, 02:19 AM
Stephenson,Fischer,Hudson,Allen Draft a ol in 4th or 5th round and have Kush, Watkins, Rishaw,Rookie, compete for 1 spot basically. I don't think it's a stretch that 1 in that group could emerge as a starter.

RippedmyFlesh
03-01-2014, 02:31 AM
This is my argument Old School Sacc loves him some OLineman and I respect his knowledge. When he says Beckham if he's there is the pick from someone who loves OL as much as Sacc then that's the direction to go in. If any one would advocate for a 1st round lineman it would be Sacc and he isn't. Fischer from what everyone says will gain 15 lbs and be better. Stephenson will get better because he is still young and we have seen him improve. Hudson should get better esp if kush steps it up and he can move to guard.
Bottom line I just don't think the OL is in as much peril as you believe it to be.

OldSchool
03-01-2014, 03:00 AM
This is my argument Old School Sacc loves him some OLineman and I respect his knowledge. When he says Beckham if he's there is the pick from someone who loves OL as much as Sacc then that's the direction to go in. If any one would advocate for a 1st round lineman it would be Sacc and he isn't. Fischer from what everyone says will gain 15 lbs and be better. Stephenson will get better because he is still young and we have seen him improve. Hudson should get better esp if kush steps it up and he can move to guard.
Bottom line I just don't think the OL is in as much peril as you believe it to be.

The OL wasn't that great to begin with even with Schwartz and Albert in the picture, and now we are losing them both. :harumph:

That's cause for some worry.

RippedmyFlesh
03-01-2014, 03:46 AM
The OL wasn't that great to begin with even with Schwartz and Albert in the picture, and now we are losing them both. :harumph:

It's also a matter of $ too. Macklin just signed for 6M. granted it's only 1 year but still. Twice as much as an interior lineman. Macklin is a #2 and he got 6M. If you can get a rookie as good or better than him which we can at 23 you jump on him. The only justification for picking a lineman 1st round is if you need a left tackle. We don't that's why we don't have to over pay Albert and why he will prob walk.

RippedmyFlesh
03-01-2014, 04:01 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/story/_/id/10517724/scouting-combine-impressive-2014-class-done-showing-off

From Clayton

Many of the top receivers in this year's draft project to be No. 1 receivers in the future. Watkins is clearly the best receiver to hit this league since A.J. Green of the Cincinnati Bengals and Julio Jones of the Atlanta Falcons. The draft is loaded with great receiving prospects -- Watkins, Mike Evans of Texas A&M, Odell Beckham of LSU, Marqise Lee of USC, Kelvin Benjamin of Florida State and Brandin Cooks of Oregon State. Teams may prefer the potential of drafted receivers over the track records of the receivers available in free agency.

milkman
03-01-2014, 07:37 AM
Not really.

He allowed 6 sacks in 2010 when he was a starter http://www.profootballweekly.com/players/geoff-schwartz-267010/

Other than that he's been a career backup. You think that's a coincidence?

The problem with these stats is that they are not broken down by position.
He started about 5 or 6 games at RT and gave up most of those 6 sacks ther (3 that I watched).

He was far more steady at guard.

58-4ever
03-01-2014, 08:57 AM
Geoff rewteeted this story himself.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-01-2014, 09:37 AM
Chiefs | Met with Geoff Schwartz's agent
Fri, 28 Feb 2014 20:36:33 -0800

The Kansas City Chiefs met with Deryk Gilmore, the agent for impending free-agent OG Geoff Schwartz, to express their interest in re-signing Schwartz this offseason. Gilmore said Schwartz is a starter and is looking to be paid like a starter this offseason.

Share: | Source: The Kansas City Star - Terez A. Paylor

RealSNR
03-01-2014, 09:56 AM

What's going to solve that issue in 2014- a season where we want to win playoff games and take this team to levels that it hasn't seen in 20+ years?

A fucking rookie, or a veteran who began to play well with this team as soon as it began to gel?

Like I said, drafting a Larry Warford is a smart idea. But you have to find him first, and even browsing through the prospects available in the 1st and 3rd rounds is far more difficult to find that quality of player who can contribute instantly than you're making it out to be.

Hell, Mike Iupati sucked his first 1.5-2 years in San Francisco. And even now he's not exactly some impenetrable force. I just saw a highlight reel posted by you yesterday where Red Bryant made him his fucking bitch.

I for one do NOT want to deal with the headache of a 1st round OL who "needs time." Not when we're trying to plug and play and win NOW.

In58men
03-01-2014, 01:12 PM
@ArrowheadAddict: Kansas City Chiefs Rumors: “Geoff Schwartz Loved it in KC and Would Love to Come*Back” http://t.co/MieLZd9Gn3

Direckshun
03-01-2014, 01:16 PM
Like hearing the positive news. Maybe Schwartz will take a discount, if that's our sticking point.

In58men
03-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Like hearing the positive news. Maybe Schwartz will take a discount, if that's our sticking point.

Too bad it wasn't a legit source, but who knows. I'll take any positive news at this point. Even from Barry.

OldSchool
03-01-2014, 02:39 PM
If we can't get Schwartz back, I hope that we try to get Travelle Wharton in here. He's the only other versatile OL player available in FA that could start and play well at OG. He's just older than Schwartz.

Boltjolt
03-02-2014, 04:25 PM
Comp picks are awarded to teams that lost more "qualifying free agents" than they signed over the course of each offseason.

A "qualifying free agent" is a player that was on your roster the entire year and entered free agency due to his contract expiring.

So if we lose

Albert
Jackson
Abdullah
Schwartz
Asamoah
McCluster
Demps
Lewis

To free agency and sign no "qualifying free agents" to replace them with, we would get a comp pick for each of them.

The comp picks range from rounds 3-7 and the things that impact the quality of the comp pick awarded the most are playing time and contract amount.

Nope. The max number of comp picks one team can get is 4.

Saccopoo
03-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Chiefs | Met with Geoff Schwartz's agent
Fri, 28 Feb 2014 20:36:33 -0800

The Kansas City Chiefs met with Deryk Gilmore, the agent for impending free-agent OG Geoff Schwartz, to express their interest in re-signing Schwartz this offseason. Gilmore said Schwartz is a starter and is looking to be paid like a starter this offseason.

Share: | Source: The Kansas City Star - Terez A. Paylor

Deryk?

RunKC
03-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Schwartz said on 610 that he would love to come back. I believe him.

Saccopoo
03-02-2014, 04:37 PM
Schwartz said on 610 that he would love to come back. I believe him.

The Chiefs gave him the chance/opportunity that he wanted and it eventually worked out for both parties.

I think that this is more of an agent trying to bleed every potential penny out of a free agent situation than anything else.

Schwartz fits the RG spot in Reid's system quite well. I don't know if that would be the case elsewhere and I'm not totally sure that he's going to get top flight starter money on the market.

I think that the guy wants a home and the Chiefs want him. It's just his agent making noise.

He'll be a Chief in 2014 and starting at RG.

OldSchool
03-02-2014, 04:38 PM
The Chiefs gave him the chance/opportunity that he wanted and it eventually worked out for both parties.

I think that this is more of an agent trying to bleed every potential penny out of a free agent situation than anything else.

Schwartz fits the RG spot in Reid's system quite well. I don't know if that would be the case elsewhere and I'm not totally sure that he's going to get top flight starter money on the market.

I think that the guy wants a home and the Chiefs want him. It's just his agent making noise.

He'll be a Chief in 2014 and starting at RG.

Just hope that's true. Would make our OL situation a lot better. I am intrigued by Rokevious Watkins though, can he put the BBQ down like Poe did to stay in shape though?

RealSNR
03-02-2014, 04:43 PM
Deryk?

He's Welsh

Easy 6
03-02-2014, 04:45 PM
SAVE THE ENDANGERED BEAR JEW!

Direckshun
03-06-2014, 02:24 PM
"Bills are interested in speaking to guard Geoff Schwartz." - Patrick Moran, Buffalo Sports Daily

Rausch
03-06-2014, 02:26 PM
SAVE THE ENDANGERED BEAR JEW!

LMAO

BigChiefFan
03-06-2014, 02:28 PM
@ArrowheadAddict: Kansas City Chiefs Rumors: “Geoff Schwartz Loved it in KC and Would Love to Come*Back” http://t.co/MieLZd9Gn3

Some good news.

Mugsy
03-06-2014, 02:46 PM
I hope we get him back. Otherwise drafting a guard in the first round becomes a real possibility. I wish we had that second round pick!

Mr. Laz
03-06-2014, 02:51 PM
I hope we get him back. Otherwise drafting a guard in the first round becomes a real possibility. I wish we had that second round pick!
hell no, not going to happen

Chief Roundup
03-06-2014, 02:56 PM
How do you know this?

Rausch
03-06-2014, 02:59 PM
SAVE THE ENDANGERED JEW BEAR!1!

OldSchool
03-06-2014, 03:46 PM

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPCY5mHmvsxNNVqAdkSy5jNG-huavEthaq84aLkoNLrweo-09pTA

Mr. Laz
03-06-2014, 04:06 PM
How do you know this?
Nobody KNOWS what is going to happen

Taking a guard in the 1st round is rare and i just don't see the Chiefs making a move like that. Dorsey will pick up another guy like Schwartz in free agency and will let him compete with the guys we already have.

CP people are so dam OL paranoid it would be hilarious if it wasn't so sad.

htismaqe
03-06-2014, 04:17 PM

Taking a guard in the 1st round is rare and i just don't see the Chiefs making a move like that. Dorsey will pick up another guy like Schwartz in free agency and will let him compete with the guys we already have.

Who made them that way? People didn't just wake up one day and say "damn, I hope the Chiefs don't take an offensive lineman on the 1st day of the draft".

-King-
03-06-2014, 04:30 PM
Who made them that way? People didn't just wake up one day and say "damn, I hope the Chiefs don't take an offensive lineman on the 1st day of the draft".

Chiefs don't draft OL on the first day more than any other team.
Posted via Mobile Device

htismaqe
03-06-2014, 04:39 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Of course not.

But when you look at the total of their first day draft picks over the past 2 decades, it's offensive linemen, defensive linemen, DBs, and that's about it.

A stunning lack of playmakers, absolutely stunning.

Mr. Laz
03-06-2014, 05:45 PM
serious PR movement influenced the process heavily

Rausch
03-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Of course not.

But when you look at the total of their first day draft picks over the past 2 decades, it's offensive linemen, defensive linemen, DBs, and that's about it.

Even more astounding when you consider that fucking Carl drafted a S in nearly every draft an almost NEVER had one worth a $#it.

No franchise (excluding the Raiders, they don't count), NO FRANCHISE, has wasted more top 10 picks than we have.

No franchise has had as many and not gotten ONE SINGLE DOMINANT PLAYER at his position. Any position.

Not D line. Not O line. Even when we were outside the top 10 we drafted fuck ups like Baldwin or LJ...:facepalm:

*SIGH*

I believe it changes now....*deep breath.*....I believe in the mighty lisp...

Deberg_1990
03-06-2014, 07:06 PM
Of course not.

Harvey Williams and Greg Hill say Hi!
Posted via Mobile Device

RealSNR
03-06-2014, 07:21 PM
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPCY5mHmvsxNNVqAdkSy5jNG-huavEthaq84aLkoNLrweo-09pTA

I don't know who the fuck that is nor do I fucking care.

Fuck him if he's offensive line.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
03-06-2014, 07:25 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

It's really a fat guy thing. So many DT's and OL taken early.

Chief Roundup
03-06-2014, 07:29 PM

Really? There was 3 taken in the first round last year. 2 of those came in the top 10.

mcaj22
03-06-2014, 07:44 PM
Of course not.

hey we drafted Jon Baldwin does he still get a free pass around here?

Mr. Laz
03-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Really? There was 3 taken in the first round last year. 2 of those came in the top 10.
part of me hopes that the Chiefs draft an Olineman in every dam round this year and causes about a 14 dumbass ****ers around here to die of brain aneurysms.

just get it over with so the rest of us can move on

O.city
03-06-2014, 08:01 PM
Don't get mad at anything the chiefs do, just accept it

The Franchise
03-06-2014, 08:04 PM
I don't know who the fuck that is nor do I fucking care.

Fuck him if he's offensive line.

Zach Martin.

RunKC
03-06-2014, 08:04 PM
Don't get mad at anything the chiefs do, just accept it

Depends. If they dump Schwartz and draft his replacement round 1 I will be fucking livid.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-06-2014, 08:05 PM
With Dorsey running the show I have no worries.

Rausch
03-06-2014, 08:06 PM
With Dorsey running the show I have no worries.

I wish I had this calm...

RealSNR
03-06-2014, 08:08 PM
Zach Martin.

Cool. Hope he gets AIDS and dies in a fire.

OldSchool
03-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Cool. Hope he gets AIDS and dies in a fire.

ROFL

Love the reactions to OL in the 1st on this board. I imagine it's the same reaction everywhere except for places like Zona where they actually suck due to never picking an OL player high.

saphojunkie
03-06-2014, 08:24 PM
We could just really use some skill at our skill positions.

Mr. Laz
03-06-2014, 08:24 PM
Don't get mad at anything the chiefs do, just accept itdon't try that passive aggressive pissy bullshit with me, asshole

i invented it

we have completely new coaches,gm everything and you are still holding onto the past like a pitbull to michael vick's nutsack.

Bowser
03-06-2014, 08:25 PM
part of me hopes that the Chiefs draft an Olineman in every dam round this year and causes about a 14 dumbass ****ers around here to die of brain aneurysms.

http://cdn2.mocksession.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/CHIEFS-FANS.gif

-King-
03-06-2014, 08:25 PM

Using last years draft as a barometer for anything is an exercise in futility. Before last year, there was an average of 1.3 guards taken in the first round since 1980.

RealSNR
03-06-2014, 08:27 PM
ROFL

Love the reactions to OL in the 1st on this board. I imagine it's the same reaction everywhere except for places like Zona where they actually suck due to never picking an OL player high.

We're not Arizona, jackass. In fact, we're the complete OPPOSITE. Last year our opening day offensive line contained not a single soul acquired from another team or drafted later than the 3rd round. Both tackles were first round picks, and one of them was the #1 overall.

We've spent PLENTY of fucking draft stock on offensive line. It's time to make shit work.

Bowser
03-06-2014, 08:29 PM
If our first pick this year isn't a receiver, safety, tight end, or pass rusher, I'm going to club baby seals.

OldSchool
03-06-2014, 08:37 PM
http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3785217/td_ss4_-_highlighted.png

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/assets/3785233/martin_s_block_ss1_-_highlighted.png

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/3785237/martin_ss2_-_highlighted.png

Charles' reaction to this:

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQGtRpO7QPyPmqHVn7W1D9-GRPRqwCKy7-rR1hFiDpc8fy1QiQD

Chief Roundup
03-06-2014, 08:56 PM
Using last years draft as a barometer for anything is an exercise in futility. Before last year, there was an average of 1.3 guards taken in the first round since 1980.

You are right it was a rather odd/bad year. But thank you for proving my point in that it is not rare for a G to be drafted in the first round.

I do not want OLine. I want a pass rusher with our first.
I do however see it very possible for the Chiefs to draft OL. If we lose Asamoah, Schwartz, and Albert in FA then it increases the likely hood even more.

mnchiefsguy
03-06-2014, 09:06 PM

You gotta link for that stat, cause that does not sound right to me.

mcaj22
03-06-2014, 09:48 PM
You gotta link for that stat, cause that does not sound right to me.

yea it's right I just counted, I got 1.6, but I also counted the drafted tackles converted to guards and still the deviation is that low. Guards seem to have been on dry spells in the late 80s/early 90s when it was vogue to take RBs and stuff and there was a run in the 00s where like nobody took a guard. I used NFL.com for this.

TEX
03-06-2014, 10:11 PM
The Chiefs need to keep Schwartz. Dont really care about Albert and especially Asuckamoa.

tecumseh
03-06-2014, 10:43 PM
If we lose Albert, Asamoana and Schwartz it seems like we would lose a year in this rosters window.

Discuss Thrower
03-07-2014, 02:49 AM
If we lose Albert, Asamoana and Schwartz it seems like we would lose a year in this rosters window.

This x1000

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 07:29 AM

Yeah, watching the Chiefs fail year after year is so much fun. That will show those guys!

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 07:30 AM
ROFL

Arizona has drafted linemen high.

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 07:32 AM

You know what Charles might like? Somebody else on the offense that can CATCH THE FUCKING BALL.

I'm sure Charles would LOVE to be able to WALK when he's 50. They're running his fucking legs off.

Mugsy
03-07-2014, 07:36 AM
You know what Charles might like? Somebody else on the offense that can CATCH THE ****ING BALL.

I'm sure Charles would LOVE to be able to WALK when he's 50. They're running his ****ing legs off.

I read yesterday that the Saints are reportedly open to trading Sproles. How sick would that be? I'm not sure if we could pull that off but it would be cool. Maybe our first for Sproles and their second or something?

OldSchool
03-07-2014, 07:42 AM
I read yesterday that the Saints are reportedly open to trading Sproles. How sick would that be? I'm not sure if we could pull that off but it would be cool. Maybe our first for Sproles and their second or something?

Hell no. If you want Sproles just draft Thomas in the 5th or Dri Archer. Give up our 1st, HA!

Dunerdr
03-07-2014, 08:38 AM

I hope your trolling. If we're giving up a first to the saints we better be getting Bree's, graham, or vaccaro.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-07-2014, 09:27 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Bills want to talk with Geoff Schwartz <a href="http://t.co/Qqet2U6znD">http://t.co/Qqet2U6znD</a></p>&mdash; Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride/statuses/441957595805282304">March 7, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

RealSNR
03-07-2014, 09:32 AM

Robert Gallery was a mean motherfucker in college. Got any pictures of him?

Zack Martin is nothing special or else he'd be going a lot higher in the first round. He's not a QB. He's not a WR. And he's not a pass rusher.

He's a GUARD (at the NFL level). A fat fucking piece of shit guard.

If we hadn't spent so many 1st-3rd round picks on offensive linemen recently, I'd see your point. But we have, so therefore I don't. I think it's stupid bullshit.

TEX
03-07-2014, 09:51 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>The Bills want to talk with Geoff Schwartz <a href="http://t.co/Qqet2U6znD">http://t.co/Qqet2U6znD</a></p>&mdash; Arrowhead Pride (@ArrowheadPride) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArrowheadPride/statuses/441957595805282304">March 7, 2014</a></blockquote>

I'd bet a lot of teams do.

Direckshun
03-07-2014, 10:12 AM
Robert Gallery was a mean mother****er in college. Got any pictures of him?

Zack Martin is nothing special or else he'd be going a lot higher in the first round. He's not a QB. He's not a WR. And he's not a pass rusher.

He's a GUARD (at the NFL level). A fat ****ing piece of shit guard.

If we hadn't spent so many 1st-3rd round picks on offensive linemen recently, I'd see your point. But we have, so therefore I don't. I think it's stupid bullshit.

Welp, that's the dumbest thing you've said in a while.

BlackHelicopters
03-07-2014, 10:24 AM

Apparently a lot of teams do.

WhiteWhale
03-07-2014, 10:27 AM

Something to do with the team not winning anything in spite of having one of the best OL's ever assembled.

Which, of course, we all know didn't propel KC's offense into the most dominant group in the NFL. We just couldn't win playoff games and it was totally the offense's fault.

If you blamed one of the worst defenses ever assembled, you're just making excuses. /sarcasm

People here are straight WEIRD about offensive linemen. Listening to some folks you'd think they're all just throw away positions you could fill with overweight hobos and not suffer for it.

Of course there's also the fact that fans have watched KC, for decades, treat the OL as if it is more important than Quarterback.

I think the reality lies somewhere in between. OL matters... especially if you have a franchise QB you want to keep off of IR.

RealSNR
03-07-2014, 10:42 AM
Welp, that's the dumbest thing you've said in a while.

Probably. The real point is that Zack Martins are available in every draft. And realistically, they're available in every round more than any other position.

I'm fine if Dorsey just wants to nibble around the edges at our potential hole at guard. Maybe we'll get lucky and find a Larry Warford.

But FUCK spending a 1st round pick on a fucking guard.

BossChief
03-07-2014, 10:53 AM
If we spend a first round pick in this draft on a guard, that might be the most infuriating pick I've ever seen this team make. At least when we burned picks on Tyson Jackson and Eric Fisher, those draft classes were weak.

CaliforniaChief
03-07-2014, 11:02 AM
I might be wrong, but didn't our offensive renaissance happen around the time we started Schwartz at G? All of the sudden Smith had time to throw and running lanes were wide open. Not saying that's all him, but it seems like he's priority A-1 in terms of retaining anyone.

BossChief
03-07-2014, 11:14 AM
I just don't understand how the team can value the OL so high that they took a RT first overall, but during the following offseason are letting 3 linemen walk in free agency.

It's just very strange.

Chief Roundup
03-07-2014, 11:18 AM
I just don't understand how the team can value the OL so high that they took a RT first overall, but during the following offseason are letting 3 linemen walk in free agency.

It's just very strange.

Albert wants too much money, Asamoah sucks, Schwartz we don't know if we are going to lose or not for sure but, it is going to be costly since other teams are wanting him as well.

ct
03-07-2014, 11:30 AM

It's just very strange.

they never intended the #1 overall pick to be a RT

#1 they wanted to trade albert, but failed
#2 they expected fisher to be better and move to LT, putting his RT stint as nothing more than temporary learning curve
#3 if he doesn't quickly develop/improve, then we can say they spend #1 on RT, for now, it's too early

signed,

somewhere between truefan/waitandsee and damnitcarl/fupioli

saphojunkie
03-07-2014, 11:40 AM
they never intended the #1 overall pick to be a RT

#1 they wanted to trade albert, but failed
#2 they expected fisher to be better and move to LT, putting his RT stint as nothing more than temporary learning curve
#3 if he doesn't quickly develop/improve, then we can say they spend #1 on RT, for now, it's too early

signed,

somewhere between truefan/waitandsee and damnitcarl/fupioli

Judges?

We'll allow it.

BossChief
03-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Albert wants too much money, Asamoah sucks, Schwartz we don't know if we are going to lose or not for sure but, it is going to be costly since other teams are wanting him as well.

1) Fisher is getting 5.5 million per year...the difference between that and what Albert wants isn't some wide Chasm. If the pick had been used elsewhere, signing Albert wouldn't be a big deal.

2) Asamoah doesn't suck, that's silly. His only off year was this year where he was learning a brand new blocking scheme. He only gave up 2 sacks all of last year.

3) Starters get starter pay. I'd bet ANYTHING that he doesn't sign some crazy deal. He will get average starter pay and that's money we should be giving him IMO.

penguinz
03-07-2014, 12:00 PM
1) Fisher is getting 5.5 million per year...the difference between that and what Albert wants isn't some wide Chasm. If the pick had been used elsewhere, signing Albert wouldn't be a big deal.

2) Asamoah doesn't suck, that's silly. His only off year was this year where he was learning a brand new blocking scheme. He only gave up 2 sacks all of last year.

3) Starters get starter pay. I'd bet ANYTHING that he doesn't sign some crazy deal. He will get average starter pay and that's money we should be giving him IMO.If we could prorate alberts pay for the time he is actually on the field that would be OK.

TEX
03-07-2014, 12:03 PM

3) Starters get starter pay. I'd bet ANYTHING that he doesn't sign some crazy deal. He will get average starter pay and that's money we should be giving him IMO.

Not that it matters but I don't agree with most of this...

1. It's gonna cost twice as much as Fish is getting paid to sign Albert and that is a wide Chasm. Plus he's missed a lot of games the past two seasons. Not a good trend.

2. Asamoah does suck. Schwartz was learning the same scheme and played head and shoulders above Asasuckamoah. He was also hurt a lot last season, so you never knew when you could count on him. True he only gave up two sacks, BUT how many pressures did he give up? How many more sacks would he had given up had Alex Smith not been mobile? How many times was the run stuffed because he didn't block his man? No way I go out of my way to sign this guy.

DaWolf
03-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Considering that Andy Reid puts the highest priority when building a team (outside of QB) on the guys in the trenches (OL, DL) and corners, there's no way there isn't a plan in place to make improvements in those areas. Especially considering his last year in Philly fell apart because of lack of healthy OLinemen.

I suspect we just aren't hearing much about the Chiefs plans with the line because they don't have anyone with loose lips in the front office, and Dorsey plays it close to the vest...

TEX
03-07-2014, 12:13 PM
Considering that Andy Reid puts the highest priority when building a team (outside of QB) on the guys in the trenches (OL, DL) and corners, there's no way there isn't a plan in place to make improvements in those areas. Especially considering his last year in Philly fell apart because of lack of healthy OLinemen.

I suspect we just aren't hearing much about the Chiefs plans with the line because they don't have anyone with loose lips in the front office, and Dorsey plays it close to the vest...

That's exactly the case. Dorsey and Reid have both learned first hand how important an OL is and how not having talent/depth there can and will kill your football team.

RealSNR
03-07-2014, 12:25 PM
That's exactly the case. Dorsey and Reid have both learned first hand how important an OL is and how not having talent/depth there can and will kill your football team.

That's why we should spend average starting guard money on Schwartz.

It's WAY the fuck cheaper than burning draft stock + 1st round salary on the position for a dude who might suck ass or not be able to contribute to close to his full potential until 2-3 years in his career.

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 12:27 PM
Of course there's also the fact that fans have watched KC, for decades, treat the OL as if it is more important than Quarterback.

You hit the nail squarely on the head right here.

You're right, the truth is somewhere in between. But this is KC, we're not average in the slightest. Working on a quarter century without a playoff win.

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 12:29 PM
Not that it matters but I don't agree with most of this...

1. It's gonna cost twice as much as Fish is getting paid to sign Albert and that is a wide Chasm. Plus he's missed a lot of games the past two seasons. Not a good trend.

And Fisher is getting paid twice as much as Donald Stephenson, who is a better LT.

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Especially considering his last year in Philly fell apart because of lack of healthy OLinemen.

GROSS oversimplification.

Chief Roundup
03-07-2014, 01:33 PM

Albert has turned down offers that average over 10 mil a year. That is a pretty big difference. Especially when Albert is nothing more than an average LT with health issues. Evidently this coaching staff didn't think much of him, Asamoah, by the middle to end of the season. Asamoah might be better in another system but, it doesn't appear that he is going to be back here because of the way he played in the system we currently use. I too hope we resign Schwartz.

ThaVirus
03-07-2014, 01:46 PM
He's not an "average" tackle. Give that shit a rest..

DaWolf
03-07-2014, 01:56 PM
GROSS oversimplification.

Bad play by Vick, turnovers, defensive failings, etc. But a lot of it centered around OL injuries, which led to Vick getting pounded, which led to turnovers, etc. It was a big factor in that record...

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Asamoah might be better in another system but, it doesn't appear that he is going to be back here because of the way he played in the system we currently use.

Big John played better in a zone blocking scheme. Reports (and late season games) suggest that we're moving towards more of a zone blocking scheme this season and doing away with the system we used last year.

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 02:09 PM
Bad play by Vick, turnovers, defensive failings, etc. But a lot of it centered around OL injuries, which led to Vick getting pounded, which led to turnovers, etc. It was a big factor in that record...

Vick gets pounded because he has zero pocket presence. Yes, the line had injuries but that team had more warts than just the o-line.

RealSNR
03-07-2014, 02:09 PM

I think it's a coping mechanism.

"I never wanted that fucker anyway! Glad he's gone!"

Chief Roundup
03-07-2014, 02:16 PM

Joe Thomas
Jake Long
Ryan Clady
Jordan Gross
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Michael Roos
Jason Peters
Nate Solder
Duane Brown
Russell Okung
Joe Staley
Trent Williams

You think he is better than these guys?
Albert is not the worst or anything, but he is not elite either. He is very much the definition of average.

Sofa King
03-07-2014, 02:19 PM
Joe Thomas
Jake Long
Ryan Clady
Jordan Gross
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Michael Roos
Jason Peters
Nate Solder
Duane Brown
Russell Okung
Joe Staley
Trent Williams

Albert is not the worst or anything, but he is not elite either. He is very much the definition of average.

Yeah actually. I think he is better than quite a few of those guys.

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 02:20 PM
Joe Thomas
Jake Long
Ryan Clady
Jordan Gross
D'Brickashaw Ferguson
Michael Roos
Jason Peters
Nate Solder
Duane Brown
Russell Okung
Joe Staley
Trent Williams

I do think he's better than a few guys on that list, yes.

And by the way, Jake Long doesn't belong on that list at all.

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 02:21 PM
Here's an excerpt from Neil Hornsby over at PFF - he wrote this last year when the Chiefs talked about trading him to the Dolphins.

Despite my protestations to the contrary I’ve seen many people quote our stats to the effect “Albert is PFF’s 25th-ranked tackle in 2012 or 17th-ranked left tackle”. This paints him as a mid-tier player and as such not a huge upgrade on Martin. I think that’s taking our work out of context and not fair on Albert who I personally feel is a much better player than that.

If you, like I, assume pass blocking is the most important part of a tackle’s job and rate players in that order he becomes the 11th-rated tackle and ninth-placed left tackle. Further, when you dig into our advanced normalization data (we don’t have this on the site but it takes account of teams whose quarterback gets rid of the ball quickly, giving them an unfair advantage) he becomes the sixth tackle with only Joe Thomas, Russell Okung, Michael Roos, Andrew Whitworth and Ryan Clady ahead of him. As for his run blocking, it’s always been a little disappointing for an ex-guard but not problematic and similar to those other tackles I’ve just mentioned with the exception of Okung who is better than the rest in that regard.

Chief Roundup
03-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Yeah actually. I think he is better than quite a few of those guys.

I do think he's better than a few guys on that list, yes.

And by the way, Jake Long doesn't belong on that list at all.

Albert has turned down contracts similar to the one that Ryan Clady recently signed. Do you think Albert is worth that 10 mil a year average like Joe Thomas gets? I sure don't.

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Albert has turned down contracts similar to the one that Ryan Clady recently signed. Do you think Albert is worth that 10 mil a year average like Joe Thomas gets? I sure don't.

Yeah, he's worth that to somebody.

To the Chiefs, who have Stephenson and Fisher under contract? No, probably not.

Mr. Laz
03-07-2014, 02:26 PM
over/under how many years people will complain about Albert being gone?

every block he makes for his new team
every missed block by his replacement

will they bitch more about Pioli,Cassel or Albert going forward?

we need a poll.

RunKC
03-07-2014, 02:28 PM
I think Direkshun is right about one thing: we are taking an OL fairly early. Wouldn't be shocked to see that in the 3rd rd

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 02:31 PM

we need a poll.

ROFL

Of course, people just bitch for the hell of it. The team never makes any mistakes...

Chief Roundup
03-07-2014, 02:42 PM

Truly depends on how Fisher does replacing him at LT and how the team fairs from that position.

Easy 6
03-07-2014, 02:46 PM
Albert may not be elite, but he's certainly an above average player, he's a second tier guy... the only thing wrong with that is he wants first tier money.

Someone else can go ahead and give it to him.

The Franchise
03-07-2014, 02:47 PM

we need a poll.

Over/under on how many people bitch and moan that "Albert never played like that" when he's succeeding with another team?

OldSchool
03-07-2014, 03:02 PM
I think Direkshun is right about one thing: we are taking an OL fairly early. Wouldn't be shocked to see that in the 3rd rd

It's pretty much guaranteed at this point unless Reid and Co are comfortable with having to start one of our depth guys. I'd like to see Watkins, Johnson, and Kush get some snaps. All talented players, just limited experience.

But, that doesn't change the fact that we really do need a potential starting caliber swing tackle though. If Fisher and/or Stephensen goes down at any point and we don't have a capable replacement in the fold like we did last year, we're screwed with the schedule that we have coming up.

saphojunkie
03-07-2014, 03:21 PM
The problem with Branden Albert is that we've seen elite. After watching Willie Roaf for those glorious years, it is next to impossible for me to say Albert is elite. He isn't.

He might be one of the best in the league right now, but that doesn't make him elite. He still struggles against speed rushers and frankly doesn't dominate his position the way you expect a franchise left tackle to. You don't look at Albert lined up against a talented pass rusher, then move down the line because you have sheer confidence in him. At least, I sure as hell wouldn't if I were QB.

It's just that you have to pay top dollar for a top tackle, even if he isn't "historically" elite - that is, he isn't elite for the position compared to the benchmark set by guys no longer in the league. But compared to the rest of the guys now, yes... he is "elite" and he commands a lot of money as such.

To put it another way, Branden Albert is a B+ tackle who will be paid like an A+ tackle. And for me, I'd rather have a B or B- tackle, but paid accordingly, and use that money elsewhere to get rid of a C player.

But that's me. I'm 100% in favor of dumping guys who are overpaid for their skill level, though they might not be overpaid according to their ranking in the league.

ThaVirus
03-07-2014, 03:33 PM
Big John played better in a zone blocking scheme. Reports (and late season games) suggest that we're moving towards more of a zone blocking scheme this season and doing away with the system we used last year.

Thank goodness.

Jamaal is going to rape again next season.

mcaj22
03-07-2014, 03:36 PM
if you think Willie Roaf to Brandon Albert is bad

just wait for the transition from Albert to Fisher/Stephenson, when Alex Smith is getting blind sided from a clean edge rusher that whichever one of our slap dick LTs just alligator arms.

Discuss Thrower
03-07-2014, 03:38 PM

just wait for the transition from Albert to Fisher/Stephenson, when Alex Smith is getting blind sided from a clean edge rusher that whichever one of our slap dick LTs just alligator arms.

If that's the case then the playoff game will be the most productive Chiefs offense we might see for another year.

LoneWolf
03-07-2014, 03:39 PM

They played games without Albert last season and Alex had adequate protection.

mcaj22
03-07-2014, 03:40 PM
If that's the case then the playoff game will be the most productive Chiefs offense we might see for another year.

I hope it's not the case, but that

"elite LT" argument is stupid, because we are about to see a major drop off with two guys that have a total of 3 years NFL experience between them. They will have major growing pains. And our QB might pay for it.

They should really bring in a veteran swing tackle as insurance.

Easy 6
03-07-2014, 03:40 PM

Too many high scouting grades on each, too much potential between them, atleast one of those two will be fine at LT... Albert is not only replaceable, its possible to upgrade from him.

mcaj22
03-07-2014, 03:43 PM
They played games without Albert last season and Alex had adequate protection.

Alex got sacked 5 times when Albert sat out that Colts game Stephenson played LT at.

mcaj22
03-07-2014, 03:45 PM
Too many high scouting grades on each, too much potential between them, atleast one of those two will be fine at LT... Albert is not only replaceable, its possible to upgrade from him.

I heard this about Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson on the defensive line and all we got out of them was a bunch of losing seasons and 1 contract departures.

The potential thing sucks when you have a 30 year old QB and the top 2 RB in the league with a NOW window.

Eric Fisher has to look like a pro bowler TODAY not tomorrow. Not potential and high grades. They have to have the best offseason program ever. So I hope that's the case.

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 03:47 PM

Stephenson is a much smaller drop-off than Fisher at this point.

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 03:48 PM
I heard this about Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson on the defensive line and all we got out of them was a bunch of losing seasons and 1 contract departures.

The potential thing sucks when you have a 30 year old QB and the top 2 RB in the league with a NOW window.

Eric Fisher has to look like a pro bowler TODAY not tomorrow. Not potential and high grades. They have to have the best offseason program ever. So I hope that's the case.

Great post.

LoneWolf
03-07-2014, 03:57 PM
Alex got sacked 5 times when Albert sat out that Colts game Stephenson played LT at.

How many of those sacks were given up by Stephenson or Fisher?

Easy 6
03-07-2014, 04:05 PM

I'm not gonna spend a half hour digging them up, but Sacc has posted some scouting reports on Stephenson that had him very highly rated, but dropped down teams boards for some reason, might've been coming out too early in a very strong class or something along those lines.

Point is that none of us will really know how to gauge things until camp/preseason... I'm sure both guys know whats at stake not only for the team but for their careers, so I'd bet both are working like mules to get ready.

We'll see, guess I'm just more optimistic.

ed* WOW cant believe the filter edited out that word, its not at ALL anything bad... that's ****ing stupid.

ct
03-07-2014, 04:09 PM
The problem with Branden Albert is that we've seen elite. After watching Willie Roaf for those glorious years, it is next to impossible for me to say Albert is elite. He isn't.

He might be one of the best in the league right now, but that doesn't make him elite. He still struggles against speed rushers and frankly doesn't dominate his position the way you expect a franchise left tackle to. You don't look at Albert lined up against a talented pass rusher, then move down the line because you have sheer confidence in him. At least, I sure as hell wouldn't if I were QB.

It's just that you have to pay top dollar for a top tackle, even if he isn't "historically" elite - that is, he isn't elite for the position compared to the benchmark set by guys no longer in the league. But compared to the rest of the guys now, yes... he is "elite" and he commands a lot of money as such.

To put it another way, Branden Albert is a B+ tackle who will be paid like an A+ tackle. And for me, I'd rather have a B or B- tackle, but paid accordingly, and use that money elsewhere to get rid of a C player.

But that's me. I'm 100% in favor of dumping guys who are overpaid for their skill level, though they might not be overpaid according to their ranking in the league.

Imo THIS is how you build a roster. Including the B range QB, who I certainly hope will note be receiving an A range contract. Frankly tho every QB seems to get an A+ contract these days, so I shouldn't be surprised...

Titty Meat
03-07-2014, 04:15 PM
This is looking like a 5-11 6-10 team

Discuss Thrower
03-07-2014, 04:33 PM
This is looking like a 5-11 6-10 team

2004 Chiefs all over again.

mcaj22
03-07-2014, 04:38 PM
surprised ChiefsandOs hasnt posted the Darnell Dockett tweets on Albert yet (or did he?)

The Franchise
03-07-2014, 04:40 PM
surprised ChiefsandOs hasnt posted the Darnell Dockett tweets on Albert yet (or did he?)

I'm guessing Dockett is calling for Albert to come to the Cards?

htismaqe
03-07-2014, 04:42 PM

Correct.

The tweets have been removed.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/03/07/darnell-dockett-does-some-twitter-tampering-with-branden-albert/related/

mcaj22
03-07-2014, 04:46 PM

yea asked everyone to follow his future teammate Albert lol

MotherfuckerJones
03-07-2014, 04:49 PM
Funny that he had to delete the tweets, while in the NBA Noah had a meeting with Carmelo Anthony telling him to come to Chicago.

Titty Meat
03-07-2014, 05:00 PM
I was the first to say The Chiefs would draft an olinmen this year lol

TEX
03-07-2014, 06:01 PM

What about the other games he was out?

OldSchool
03-07-2014, 06:07 PM

My reaction when it happens.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DK_9uBR0NAQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Brock
03-07-2014, 06:31 PM
What about the other games he was out?

8 sacks and 4 fumbles in 3 games.

OrtonsPiercedTaint
03-07-2014, 06:37 PM
Albert was never respected following in Roaf's shadow.
Like Hali wasn't respected following in Jared Allen's shadow.
Now the next LT is a POS that has to follow in Albert's ROFL

Messier
03-07-2014, 07:00 PM
CP gets crazier than normal around FA time.

MahiMike
03-07-2014, 08:09 PM

Is that Doug Flutie smoking a cig in your avi?

Brock
03-07-2014, 08:13 PM
Is that Doug Flutie smoking a cig in your avi?

Fuck no, that's Lenny at sb1.

ShowtimeSBMVP
03-08-2014, 08:55 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jets plan to make an offer to Jon Asamoah <a href="http://t.co/cfgvlsidwZ">http://t.co/cfgvlsidwZ</a></p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/statuses/442312295335489536">March 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

Mr. Laz
03-08-2014, 09:15 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Jets plan to make an offer to Jon Asamoah <a href="http://t.co/cfgvlsidwZ">http://t.co/cfgvlsidwZ</a></p>&mdash; ProFootballTalk (@ProFootballTalk) <a href="https://twitter.com/ProFootballTalk/statuses/442312295335489536">March 8, 2014</a></blockquote>

They better be using ZBS