PDA

View Full Version : Barnwell on each team's optimal draft

the Talking Can
05-06-2014, 09:33 AM
http://grantland.com/features/nfl-draft-2014-best-picks-every-team/

Let’s go around the league and figure out what that would look like at the top of the draft for each team. Obviously, every team would love to come away with Jadeveon Clowney and Sammy Watkins with their first two picks, but that’s not going to happen; consider this an attempt to realistically imagine the best-case scenario for each team.

Oakland Raiders

Round 1, Pick 5: LB Khalil Mack, Buffalo
Round 2, Pick 36: QB Teddy Bridgewater, Louisville2

It’s not impossible to imagine Mack ending up with the Raiders at five; if the draft starts with Clowney-Robinson-Watkins-Manziel, the Raiders would have an elite defender fall into their laps. They might, of course, be even better off trading the pick in that scenario. Oakland has so many needs and lacks depth to the extent that they would be better off with three good players than one great one.

Kansas City Chiefs

Round 1, Pick 23: WR Brandin Cooks, Oregon State
Round 3, Pick 87: DE Caraun Reid, Princeton

With just one choice in the first 85 selections, the Chiefs will be under pressure to address a specific need with their selection. The problem is that their real weaknesses — most notably at right guard — aren’t well covered by the value picks that will be there at 23. Cooks would be an upgrade on Donnie Avery across from Dwayne Bowe, and while Alex Smith isn’t exactly a downfield passer, the wild-card game against the Colts showed that he can make those throws when somebody gets open. Reid would give the Chiefs a body for much-needed depth up front after the loss of Tyson Jackson this offseason, and deep into the third round you can’t ask for much more.

San Diego Chargers

Round 1, Pick 25: CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech
Round 2, Pick 57: DE Dominique Easley, Florida

The Chargers need a corner far more than the Bengals do, and Fuller is regarded as a more complete prospect than Gilbert — but he lacks Gilbert’s size. San Diego had one of the worst pass defenses in league history through the first three-quarters of last season, so throwing somebody who isn’t Derek Cox at the problem is a huge step in the right direction. Easley has struggled to stay healthy, but he has the talent and motor of a first-rounder, and he could slot in as a valuable rotation lineman up front for the Chargers in their 3-4.

Denver Broncos

Round 1, Pick 31: LB Ryan Shazier, Ohio State
Round 2, Pick 63: DT Dominique Easley, Florida

Some more defensive pieces would be nice for Denver, especially given how injuries and general wear and tear all seemed to rear their ugly head during the Super Bowl. Shazier’s a speedy 4-3 outside linebacker who will drop into coverage while DeMarcus Ware and Von Miller rush the passer. He’s also a stout run defender, which was a weak point for the Broncos at times last year. Easley can be another member of Denver’s interior defensive line rotation of freak athletes.

The Franchise
05-06-2014, 09:34 AM
Our optimal draft includes a fucking 3-4 DE? Jesus Christ. I'm surprised they didn't go OG in the 1st and punter in the 3rd.

ForeverChiefs58
05-06-2014, 07:46 PM
It wouldn't be that bad if one of these could play FS.

Sometimes, I wonder if anyone else watched the playoff loss

Saccopoo
05-06-2014, 07:59 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we just take a defensive end from Princeton last year?

And didn't we just sign Mr. All-Canadian World Wide Receiver Gadget Player Deluxe Weston Dressler?

Just say no to redundancy as it relates to the NFL Draft.

planetdoc
05-06-2014, 08:42 PM
you dont put all your "eggs" in the basket of UDFA's and 7th round picks.

Thats like investing in penny stocks....not a succesful strategy or a likely ROI

kccrow
05-06-2014, 09:31 PM
The absolute best pick KC could make is probably going to be Jimmie Ward, but I don't know if they do. He's a virtual clone of Earl Thomas in almost every way, the only difference is the schools they played at. I just have this strong feeling they are going to pick a WR.

BossChief
05-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we just take a defensive end from Princeton last year?

And didn't we just sign Mr. All-Canadian World Wide Receiver Gadget Player Deluxe Weston Dressler?

Just say no to redundancy as it relates to the NFL Draft.

Funny coming from you.

NIUhuskies
05-06-2014, 11:03 PM
The absolute best pick KC could make is probably going to be Jimmie Ward, but I don't know if they do. He's a virtual clone of Earl Thomas in almost every way, the only difference is the schools they played at. I just have this strong feeling they are going to pick a WR.

+1

Hog's Gone Fishin
05-07-2014, 02:49 AM
Johnny Football !

MotherfuckerJones
05-07-2014, 06:26 AM
Jesus. Does no one know we signed Vance Walker? Teacher said he thinks we go DE also.

MotherfuckerJones
05-07-2014, 06:27 AM
I don't care what anyone says...just give me Johnny Football

ForeverChiefs58
05-07-2014, 07:05 AM

Ding ding ding. Your Chicken dinner is ready for pick up.

milkman
05-07-2014, 07:09 AM

I absolutely agree with you about Ward, but I don't know that it will be a WR that they take.

They won't take Ward because he will be considered a reach at that point.

I can see this team taking OL.

the Talking Can
05-07-2014, 07:33 AM

as much as i want a wr, i'd be fine with this and a wr in the 3rd....or miracles of miracles a trade down for a pick and then ward etc.

i have a feeling though, based on nothing, that they think we can roll with abdullah

jd1020
05-07-2014, 07:50 AM
I absolutely agree with you about Ward, but I don't know that it will be a WR that they take.

They won't take Ward because he will be considered a reach at that point.

I can see this team taking OL.

If Dorsey proved anything in his first draft, it's that he doesn't mind reaching.

kccrow
05-07-2014, 05:31 PM
The one thing about O-line is that I cannot recall Dorsey ever being part of a team drafting an O-lineman in round 1 that wasn't drafted with the intent of him playing tackle. Otherwise, he's primarily taken college tackles in the mid rounds to play guard. With Fisher and Stephenson on board, I'm not sure the 1st round pick will be an offensive lineman.

I can see the point with Reid, it just depends how much influence the coach has on the GM when it comes to when to draft positions.

cmh6476
05-08-2014, 10:33 PM
Our optimal draft includes a ****ing 3-4 DE? Jesus Christ. I'm surprised they didn't go OG in the 1st and punter in the 3rd.

oops