PDA

View Full Version : Royals Joe Poz on Buck O'Neil: READ THIS

gblowfish
11-18-2014, 02:31 PM
It's a travesty that Buck is not a member of the baseball HOF. This needs to be made right. Why do we have to wait until somebody is dead to honor them? Pissed me off.

Joe Poz is still one of my favorite sports writers. Take five minutes and read this. You'll be glad you did:

http://sportsworld.nbcsports.com/buck-oneil-joe-posnanski/

mikeyis4dcats.
11-18-2014, 02:34 PM
it is ridiculous, even more agregious that they had the chance to do it while he was alive. Buck was a good friend of a friend of mine, so I met him a few times. Have a nice signed bat in my den.

eDave
11-18-2014, 02:44 PM
“Son, in this life, you don’t ever walk by a red dress.”

Spectacular.

duncan_idaho
11-18-2014, 02:47 PM
Goddammit.

I was having a great day until I read this. All of a sudden, it's incredibly dusty in my office.

Thanks a lot.

Pitt Gorilla
11-18-2014, 05:13 PM
His autograph is the only one I've kept. He was an amazing man.

ROYC75
11-18-2014, 05:22 PM
His autograph is the only one I've kept. He was an amazing man.

The one time I got to visit him, it was a real treasure. The stories he spoke of, the wisdom he weaved into each and every sentence was truly remarkable.

He was a remarkable man.

Deberg_1990
11-18-2014, 05:24 PM
Joe lost me when he wrote Joe Paterno puff pieces.

Holladay
11-18-2014, 07:08 PM
I think I got something in my eye.

duncan_idaho
11-18-2014, 07:52 PM
I think I got something in my eye.

Me, too.

Hydrae
11-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Joe lost me when he wrote Joe Paterno puff pieces.

You might be able to forgive him if you read this piece. Great read.

mdchiefsfan
11-18-2014, 07:57 PM
awesome read

cosmo20002
11-18-2014, 09:40 PM
Yeah, that's bullshit he's not in. Especially considering all the others that did get in that day.

I met him once at a dedication for a little league field named after him. He was probably 90. He drove up by himself in this gigantic car. I think a 70s Caddy or something. Funny seeing this frail-looking old guy getting out of such a behemoth.

At some point I went up to say hello and he asked where I was from. I said I grew up in Omaha and starts telling me how he would go to Omaha to scout a basketball player at Creighton named Bob Gibson who played baseball in the off-season. I love that baseball history stuff, and hearing these stories from him was awesome.

The other main thing I remember was that he flirted with EVERY blonde female at the event. People would come up to a get pic with him and he'd always put his arm around the ladies, but when it was a blonde, every time it was, "Come on darlin' you can get closer than that."

srvy
11-18-2014, 10:25 PM
What did Buck do in MLB on the field or as a manager to get in the HOF?

Its not the HOF of good guys and kewl stories. This is why I can't stand Posnanski when he was at the star. Once a month like clockwork he wrote the Buck should be in the Hall story but never gave a convincing argument why.

cosmo20002
11-18-2014, 10:44 PM
What did Buck do in MLB on the field or as a manager to get in the HOF?

Its not the HOF of good guys and kewl stories. This is why I can't stand Posnanski when he was at the star. Once a month like clockwork he wrote the Buck should be in the Hall story but never gave a convincing argument why.

So, I guess you never actually read any of the columns.

He didn't play in the MLB but was the first black coach and was a scout.

It's not the MLB hall of fame, it's the baseball hall of fame, and there's plenty of people in that weren't MLB players or managers. Shit, Denny Matthews is in.

srvy
11-18-2014, 10:48 PM
Thats my point what did he do in MLB?

srvy
11-18-2014, 10:49 PM
So, I guess you never actually read any of the columns.

He didn't play in the MLB but was the first black coach and was a scout.

It's not the MLB hall of fame, it's the baseball hall of fame, and there's plenty of people in that weren't MLB players or managers. Shit, Denny Matthews is in.

It is MLB Hall of Fame.

Now give me what he did to deserve to be inducted.

srvy
11-18-2014, 10:50 PM
Negro League baseball did not merge with MLB and really has no affiliation.

cosmo20002
11-18-2014, 10:51 PM
It is MLB Hall of Fame.

Now give me what he did to deserve to be inducted.

Are you ever right about anything?

Google one of Posnanski's columns.

cosmo20002
11-18-2014, 10:54 PM
Negro League baseball did not merge with MLB and really has no affiliation.

I agree, although I don't know why you are mentioning it.

It is really weird though why Josh Gibson and others are in the "MLB" Hall of Fame.

srvy
11-18-2014, 10:57 PM
I agree, although I don't know why you are mentioning it.

It is really weird though why Josh Gibson and others are in the "MLB" Hall of Fame.

What are Bucks credentials for induction?

cosmo20002
11-18-2014, 11:01 PM
How embarrassed do you think the MLB Hall of Fame folks were when they learned Cool Papa Bell never played Major League Baseball?

Demonpenz
11-18-2014, 11:02 PM
Yawn.. Tell me how good the Royals were when buck was around?

cosmo20002
11-18-2014, 11:05 PM
What are Bucks credentials for induction?

I can't do a better job than Joe Pos has done.
www.google.com

search: Posnanski O'Neil 2006
(maybe 2005)

srvy
11-18-2014, 11:06 PM
How embarrassed do you think the MLB Hall of Fame folks were when they learned Cool Papa Bell never played Major League Baseball?

Bucks credentials for HOF?

mikeyis4dcats.
11-19-2014, 08:54 AM

what are Bell's? His stint in the Mexican league?

http://baseballhall.org/hof/Bell-Cool-Papa

Or the other 34 Negro Leaguers?

The Hall of Fame is comprised of 306 elected members. Included are 211 former major league players, 28 executives, 35 Negro leagers, 22 managers and 10 umpires.

The better question is what is your deal with Buck?

srvy
11-19-2014, 09:07 AM

I had no problem with Buck Oneal just he was not a HOF'er sorry. All the JOPO articles won't make it so. In life he was a HOF'er.

srvy
11-19-2014, 09:10 AM
Is discovering Ernie Banks make you eligible for enshrinement?

mikeyis4dcats.
11-19-2014, 09:19 AM
Is discovering Ernie Banks make you eligible for enshrinement?

or Joe Carter, or Lou Brock.

So he's good enough for a statue, and good enough to have the Lifetime Achievement award named after him, but not good enough to be on the wall.

2 white owners of Negro league teams were inducted, one a mobster and convicted racketeer. But no Buck.

There's a SPORTSWRITER on the wall....What did he do that Buck didn't for baseball?

duncan_idaho
11-19-2014, 09:19 AM

I know you're trolling and don't actually give a fuck, but...

1) Ambassador for the game. Buck O'Neill's contributions as an ambassador for the game and especially the Negro Leagues are significant. There are lots of people in the Hall of Fame for off-field contributions, many of them announcers (who are also ambassadors for the game).

2) Scout/coach. O'Neil was the first black scout and the first black scout. These are both significant landmarks, even though they're rarely spoken of. He also signed several notable players as a scout, including Lou Brock.

3) Good player/manager on great teams. There are a lot of guys in the HoF because they were above-average players on great team (Rizzuto, Reese, Mazerowski all come to mind).

Really, his HoF case is all about being a historical figure and being an ambassador for the game. There are several less deserving men in the Hall. Including KC's own Denny Matthews.

gblowfish
11-19-2014, 09:40 AM
Anyone too stupid to appreciate Buck O'Neil's contribution to baseball isn't worth arguing with.

srvy
11-19-2014, 11:16 AM
I know you're trolling and don't actually give a fuck, but...

1) Ambassador for the game. Buck O'Neill's contributions as an ambassador for the game and especially the Negro Leagues are significant. There are lots of people in the Hall of Fame for off-field contributions, many of them announcers (who are also ambassadors for the game).

2) Scout/coach. O'Neil was the first black scout and the first black scout. These are both significant landmarks, even though they're rarely spoken of. He also signed several notable players as a scout, including Lou Brock.

3) Good player/manager on great teams. There are a lot of guys in the HoF because they were above-average players on great team (Rizzuto, Reese, Mazerowski all come to mind).

Really, his HoF case is all about being a historical figure and being an ambassador for the game. There are several less deserving men in the Hall. Including KC's own Denny Matthews.

So then why has he not been enshrined? Lot of smart baseball people have determined so far not deserving? Or are some people in CP just smarter.

You may call me a troll if ya like don't care about that one bit. That argument is always used when you disagree.

raybec 4
11-19-2014, 11:21 AM

According to Buck that dude was so fast he could flip the switch on the light and be in bed before the room got dark. That is HOF material (and so is the story)

srvy
11-19-2014, 11:21 AM
Anyone too stupid to appreciate Buck O'Neil's contribution to baseball isn't worth arguing with.

Well seems the people voting yea or nay are all stupid because he is not in.

Your opinion of me means absolutely zilch to me. I don't know you nor do you me. Usually means your to emotionally involved in your belief he should be in. Anyone who thinks different is stupid.

siberian khatru
11-19-2014, 11:29 AM
According to Buck that dude was so fast he could flip the switch on the light and be in bed before the room got dark. That is HOF material (and so is the story)

<iframe src="http://www.metacafe.com/embed/5972445/" width="540" height="304" allowFullScreen frameborder=0></iframe>

duncan_idaho
11-19-2014, 11:43 AM
So then why has he not been enshrined? Lot of smart baseball people have determined so far not deserving? Or are some people in CP just smarter.

You may call me a troll if ya like don't care about that one bit. That argument is always used when you disagree.

It sure didn't seem like you were honestly asking or interested in having a conversation.

The Hall of Fame voting is controlled by the BBWAA, which has a lot of weird quirks about HoF voting. (First-ballot stuff, certain numbers being gold, East Coast/great team bias, etc.)

He hasn't been enshrined because not enough people have been convinced to think of him as an ambassador, comparable to a broadcaster/owner/etc., and not just as a player.

He hasn't been enshrined because being a good player on a great team for a long period of time doesn't mean the same thing in the Negro Leagues as it does if you were a Yankee or Dodger or hit a meaningful HR.

He hasn't been enshrined because people don't pay close enough attention.

cosmo20002
11-19-2014, 11:52 AM
srvy--
Are you at least able to admit that it is not the "Major League Baseball" Hall of Fame, limited to people active in MLB?

srvy
11-19-2014, 12:08 PM
srvy--
Are you at least able to admit that it is not the "Major League Baseball" Hall of Fame, limited to people active in MLB?

Yes I was wrong on that.

Pitt Gorilla
11-19-2014, 12:09 PM
Well seems the people voting yea or nay are all stupid because he is not in.

Your opinion of me means absolutely zilch to me. I don't know you nor do you me. Usually means your to emotionally involved in your belief he should be in. Anyone who thinks different is stupid.this

srvy
11-19-2014, 12:29 PM
Have I been convinced Buck should be in? No not yet. People that didn't know him got to know him from PBS. Heck I seen him on Letterman some national morning shows. Great stories are not grounds for enshrinement. If they were Joe Garagiola would be in HOF. I think The Buck O'Neil Lifetime Achievement Award every 3 years is a fitting tribute to a guy that just did it all right but didn't measure up for enshrinement.

Who in your opinion is most responsible for baseball and its promotion and great ambassador for the game in KC? If your answer isn't Ewing Kauffman your hopeless.

He by the way was nominated and not excepted to HOF either.

srvy
11-19-2014, 12:33 PM
this

Oh so clever. You must be so proud.

SAUTO
11-19-2014, 12:37 PM
Have I been convinced Buck should be in? No not yet. People that didn't know him got to know him from PBS. Heck I seen him on Letterman some national morning shows. Great stories are not grounds for enshrinement. If they were Joe Garagiola would be in HOF. I think The Buck O'Neil Lifetime Achievement Award every 3 years is a fitting tribute to a guy that just did it all right but didn't measure up for enshrinement.

Who in your opinion is most responsible for baseball and its promotion and great ambassador for the game in KC? If your answer isn't Ewing Kauffman your hopeless.

He by the way was nominated and not excepted to HOF either.

but whywas he was good enough to speak for all the guys excepted smart guy?