PDA

View Full Version : Football AFC - the last two weeks

Mile High Mania
12-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Lots of talk about crazy scenarios... but I think a few teams will take care of themselves by not winning. KC has a shot, although I don't think they win @ PIT... it all rests with the Bengals. Oddly enough, that makes some of you cheer against them this weekend.

As of right now:

1 - NEP 11-3 with @ Jets and vs Bills
2 - DEN 11-3 with @ CIN and vs OAK
3 - IND 10-4 with @ DAL and @ TEN

4 - CIN 9-4-1 with vs DEN and @ PIT -- could lose both
5 - PIT 9-5 with vs KC and vs CIN -- I see 2-0
6 - BAL 9-5 with @ HOU and vs CLE -- I see 2-0, not sure how the tiebreakers work if they win Div and tie with IND, should they go 1-1.

7 - KC 8-6 with @ PIT and vs SDC -- likely 1 and 1
8 - SDC 8-6 with @ SF and @ KC -- they lose both
9 - BUF 8-6 with @ OAK and @ NEP -- they lose both

#1-2 likely set in stone, barring something weird. I don't see NE losing either, Denver could lose @ CIN, but I don't think it happens. Cincy can be dangerous and they have weapons. If Den loses, IND could overtake #2 if they win out.

Bengals, Chargers and Bills could all lose out. If that happens, it could open up something for Miami, Houston or Cleveland - but I don't see it.

I think the playoffs are ultimately set, depending on what happens with the Bengals. Last week, I thought they were they key to KC getting into that #6 spot, and I think that is what it comes down to in the final weeks.

gold_and_red
12-15-2014, 03:23 PM
NE 13-3
Den 13-3
Pitt 11-5
Ind 11-5
Bal 11-5
Cin 9-6-1
KC 9-7
SD 9-7
Buf 9-7
Mia 9-7
Hou 8-8
Cle 7-9

KC laments @Oak and @Ari games.

cosmo20002
12-15-2014, 03:27 PM
NE 13-3
Den 13-3
Pitt 11-5
Ind 11-5
Bal 11-5
Cin 9-6-1
KC 9-7
SD 9-7
Buf 9-7
Mia 9-7
Hou 8-8
Cle 7-9

And the ****ing abortion vs Tennessee week 1.

chiefs1111
12-15-2014, 03:28 PM
NE 13-3
Den 13-3
Pitt 11-5
Ind 11-5
Bal 11-5
Cin 9-6-1
KC 9-7
SD 9-7
Buf 9-7
Mia 9-7
Hou 8-8
Cle 7-9

And the SF game. Should have one that one

Buehler445
12-15-2014, 03:30 PM
And the ****ing abortion vs Tennessee week 1.

And Biffing themselves against the 9ers.

FUCK why am I a fan of this team?

Aries Walker
12-15-2014, 03:40 PM
It was the Oakland game. That wasn't just a loss, it was a momentum killer.

Also, if the Broncos lose to the Bengals, is it possible that the Patriots will rest their starters and lose to the Bills? Not that it will make a whole bunch of difference, but as a hypothetical.

Aries Walker
12-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Also, Baltimore lost to Indianapolis earlier in the year, so the Colts have the tiebreaker.

The ESPN Playoff Machine (http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/machine) says that with the results you put in in the OP (Colts losing to the Cowboys, and the Ravens winning out), it would be Cincinnati at Pittsburgh, and Ravens at Colts for the Wild Card games.

If, however, that same thing happens, but the Chiefs beat the Steelers, it would be Steelers at Colts, and the Chiefs would come to Baltimore, meaning I might be able to get tickets, if I'm either very lucky or financially irresponsible. Woot!

Just Passin' By
12-15-2014, 03:52 PM
In case it might have an impact on some of your projections, the Ravens just lost yet another player from their defensive secondary.

The injury-plagued Ravens secondary has lost another player.

Asa Jackson, a cornerback who has started the last six games, will miss the rest of the season. Coach John Harbaugh said today that Jackson suffered a knee injury and will be shut down.

The Ravens already have four defensive backs — Jimmy Smith, Aaron Ross, Tramain Jacobs and Danny Gorrer — on injured reserve. Jackson will be the fifth.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/15/depleted-ravens-secondary-loses-asa-jackson-for-season/

MotherfuckerJones
12-15-2014, 04:04 PM
I won't get excited unless Baltimore loses to Houston and we somehow beat PIT. Which is a gigantic long shot

TEX
12-15-2014, 04:06 PM
I won't get excited unless Baltimore loses to Houston and we somehow beat PIT. Which is a gigantic long shot

What do the Ravens have to do with anything? If KC wins out, they're in. :shrug:

Aries Walker
12-15-2014, 04:30 PM
Because if we drop one of our games, we might still squeak in if Baltimore completely and utterly chokes.

Mile High Mania
12-15-2014, 04:32 PM
Because if we drop one of our games, we might still squeak in if Baltimore completely and utterly chokes.

You shouldn't rely on BAL losing to the Texans and Browns. That just isn't happening.

Aries Walker
12-15-2014, 04:35 PM
That's what I said, but we're Chiefs fans. We cling to the unlikely.

OnTheWarpath15
12-15-2014, 04:36 PM
You shouldn't rely on BAL losing to the Texans and Browns. That just isn't happening.

And even if they did, that likely gets Houston to 9-7 and they get in ahead of us.

The only realistic way to get in is to win out.

Mile High Mania
12-15-2014, 04:39 PM
And even if they did, that likely gets Houston to 9-7 and they get in ahead of us.

Houston has Baltimore and the Jags - damn, how weird would that be...

Red Beans
12-15-2014, 04:45 PM
In case it might have an impact on some of your projections, the Ravens just lost yet another player from their defensive secondary.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/12/15/depleted-ravens-secondary-loses-asa-jackson-for-season/

They have to be pissed that we poached Jamell Fleming from their PS. Suck it turd birds.

Mav
12-15-2014, 04:46 PM

and that aint happening. we should get just demolished by Leveon bell.

TEX
12-15-2014, 04:53 PM

Gotcha. Maybe they should remove the B-More Crest on their helmets and replace it with a K & C. Then maybe...

TEX
12-15-2014, 04:54 PM
and that aint happening. we should get just demolished by Leveon bell.

Yep. And Houston, with either Tom Savage or Case Kennum starting at QB, will suffer the same fate. FYI - they plucked Keenum off the Rams Practice Squad and they're getting him ready to START Sunday...

Msmith
12-15-2014, 04:59 PM
If the bumbling Saints can beat the Steelers at Pitt, the Chiefs could pull that off as well. This is one wacky season!

Hydrae
12-15-2014, 07:08 PM
Yep. And Houston, with either Tom Savage or Case Kennum starting at QB, will suffer the same fate. FYI - they plucked Keenum off the Rams Practice Squad and they're getting him ready to START Sunday...

Well, Keenum did start 8 games for them just last year. I was surprised to see that he was eligible for a practice squad spot after that.

Hammock Parties
12-15-2014, 07:10 PM
Broncos are probably going back to the SB.

ThaVirus
12-15-2014, 07:38 PM

There's a really good chance we see a rematch of last year's Bowl.

I thought you were pimping the Steelers as your AFC Super Bowl pick? What happened?

Hammock Parties
12-15-2014, 07:40 PM
There's a really good chance we see a rematch of last year's Bowl.

I thought you were pimping the Steelers as your AFC Super Bowl pick? What happened?

They could make it but I see the D holding them back.

TimBone
12-15-2014, 07:42 PM
We're assuming the Broncos can walk into Foxboro and win?

DaFace
12-15-2014, 07:52 PM
We're assuming the Broncos can walk into Foxboro and win?

No joke. I think it's entirely possible the Broncos make it, but I think the Pats have to still be the favorites.

GloryDayz
12-15-2014, 08:07 PM
Rehashing the effects of the Texans, @Oakland, SF, and AZ games is just painful!

Rain Man
12-15-2014, 08:08 PM

But I think he was their QB for a while last year, right? Wasn't he the guy who played against the Chiefs?

Not that it changes your conclusion, but I guess I'm just pointing out that he's going to be more than a guy from some other team's practice squad.

Pepe Silvia
12-15-2014, 08:13 PM
The Broncos are going to make it back because their defense always comes up with the clutch pick at the end of the game to seal the deal. But after that Seattle will stomp them again.

Why Not?
12-15-2014, 08:22 PM
The Broncos are going to make it back because their defense always comes up with the clutch pick at the end of the game to seal the deal. But after that Seattle will stomp them again.

Pats will curb stomp Denver like they did earlier this season.

Jim Lahey
12-15-2014, 08:27 PM
I just dont see Denver beating New England. New Englands defense has superb lately. Revis is showing flashes of the Revis of old and Akeem Ayers has been a crucial addition to that team. Not to mention do you really think Peyton will go up to New England, in the cold, and outplay Brady? Cant see it happening.

tk13
12-15-2014, 08:33 PM
I want to see what Denver does at Cincy before we get too far ahead of ourselves. I've thought for a couple weeks now something seems a bit off with Manning. Even Hootie agrees.

Of course the year Manning actually won in Indy, he didn't play that great in the playoffs. They just ran the ball well and played defense. So they are playing a style of football that might actually serve them better on the road in NE. They've only averaged 205 yards/game passing over the last month and now seem very focused on pounding the ball with the running attack.

GloryDayz
12-15-2014, 08:37 PM
Any and all predictions of Denver losing make me happy!

ThaVirus
12-15-2014, 08:59 PM
Something is definitely amiss with Peyton.

displacedinMN
12-15-2014, 08:59 PM
This is the season I thought we would have last year.

Mile High Mania
12-16-2014, 09:06 AM
I want to see what Denver does at Cincy before we get too far ahead of ourselves. I've thought for a couple weeks now something seems a bit off with Manning. Even Hootie agrees.

Of course the year Manning actually won in Indy, he didn't play that great in the playoffs. They just ran the ball well and played defense. So they are playing a style of football that might actually serve them better on the road in NE. They've only averaged 205 yards/game passing over the last month and now seem very focused on pounding the ball with the running attack.

He might be banged up... might just be tired. It's been a while since the bye and they've thrown a lot early on because they couldn't run well.

Since that week 3 loss in OT @ SEA, his attempts per game were: 49, 47, 33, 26, 35, 57, 44 and 54 in that loss @ STL.

They weren't running worth a damn and were 1-dimensional to a fault. They lost 3 of the 8 in that stretch, all on the road. They needed someone to step up and that's what CJ Anderson did. Over the last month, they are 4-4 (2-0 on the road) and they have been much more balanced and effective - just a lot less flashy, which obviously makes everyone wonder what's wrong with Peyton?

35, 34, 20 and 20 ... those are the pass attempts in the last 4 wins.

That's 109 attempts with 73 completions (67%), so he's completed in 4 games what he was attempting in two games.

In the last 4 wins, they've had 148 rushes... nearly 58% in rush attempts. I'm fine with that if it means the team is becoming better at clock management and ultimately winning games.

Manning can still fire when he needs to and they've had success, they're just not putting on aerial displays and again... I'm fine with that if it means they have a better shot of winning.

Manning is still top 4 in nearly every passing category that matters. He has 4K+ yards, 37 TDs, 11 INTs and 67% completion. I think he's top 3 with over 60 pass completions over 20+ yards ... I'll take that every time.

Sure, he's older ... slower, a bit gimpier and his passes wobble... but he's still damn good.

RunKC
12-16-2014, 09:11 AM

They aren't beating New England in Chowder town.

Pasta Little Brioni
12-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Suck off doncs blah blah blah Chiefs will lose suck off doncs blah blah blah.

TEX
12-16-2014, 10:04 AM
They aren't beating New England in Chowder town.

As the Mule Tool said yesterday, but in a different scenario of course - Wouldn't it be FUNNY if some team who barely got into the playoffs, beat the Cheating Donx in Denver???

Mile High Mania
12-16-2014, 10:05 AM
As the Mule Tool said yesterday, but in a different scenario of course - Wouldn't it be FUNNY if some team who barely got into the playoffs, beat the Cheating Donx in Denver???

Yeah, I was referring to the NFC though - it fit better. Likely aren't any teams in the AFC advancing with crap records.