View Full Version : Other Sports *** Official Money Fight - 8/26/17 - Mayweather VS. McGregor Thread ***

Pages : 1 2 [3]

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-26-2017, 11:34 PM
Fuck you.

I didn't say Conor won, I said it was close, and you are now trying to clown me like that (the fight was close) was some absurd statement. Well fuck you, go to fucking hell, asshole, that wasn't a weird statement, and it is you who is being unreasonable. I am now going to put you on ignore. I never take people off ignore. Fuck you forever.

al,

You're a good guy, but sometimes you go a touch overboard on these fight threads. As a boxing fan that only knows about MMA through playing UFC 2 (which is to say that I know nothing about MMA), this was not a close fight and was never a close fight.

McGregor threw 110 more punches than Floyd and landed 60 fewer despite Floyd throwing 28 punches *total* in the first three rounds.

Baby Lee
08-26-2017, 11:35 PM
That's a "what if" that is only and always answered with an opinion. I personally don't believe it would have killed boxing, but it would have given a lot of casual fans some fun shit to argue about for the next couple of years.

'killed' is obvious hyperbole, but I was referring to the reputational hit if a novice can best or at least equal a legend.

If Michael Jordan had been a baseball phenom, there's enough reputational power behind baseball for it to survive and for people to say 'I guess Michael is amazing'

OTOH, If Randy Moss became a soccer phenom, soccer would NEVER EVER take off in the US.

-King-
08-26-2017, 11:37 PM
As I stated I know damn good and well it would never happen. As far as any boxer being able to learn how to be an MMA fighter, it all depends on how much they would want it and what they would be willing to do to get it. a young boxer could learn grappling/kickboxing/etc over time I believe.

I guess my point is that I give Conor a lot of credit for stepping in without any hesitation against one of the best boxers in the history of the sport. It took a set of big brass balls to do that, and he took it on without a care in the world.

What part about making more money than be ever has or ever will make don't you understand?
Posted via Mobile Device

CoMoChief
08-26-2017, 11:40 PM
That was still a really bitch way to end a fight like that.

OnTheWarpath15
08-26-2017, 11:41 PM
A complete novice just took the supposed best pound for pound boxer in the world to 10 rounds, then gets "TKO'ed" without ever hitting the mat. Not saying McGregor would have won the fight, but at least let the dude get knocked down.

Easy 6
08-26-2017, 11:45 PM
What part about making more money than be ever has or ever will make don't you understand?
Posted via Mobile Device

You can relax now, the black guy won

Abba-Dabba
08-26-2017, 11:45 PM
A complete novice just took the supposed best pound for pound boxer in the world to 10 rounds, then gets "TKO'ed" without ever hitting the mat. Not saying McGregor would have won the fight, but at least let the dude get knocked down.

If you think for one second McGregor was going to last another 1:55 you are simply not looking at the complete picture.

McGregor was done. He was finished. It was apparent the last minute the round prior. He punched himself out of the match. Classic Mayweather. Money.

tk13
08-26-2017, 11:48 PM
I guess my point is that I give Conor a lot of credit for stepping in without any hesitation against one of the best boxers in the history of the sport. It took a set of big brass balls to do that, and he took it on without a care in the world.

To be fair, I think a lot of people would do it for the chance at $100 million.

dirk digler
08-26-2017, 11:49 PM
The ref did the right thing, Conor wasn't really defending himself and hadn't thrown a punch in over a minute. Boxers die in situations like that.

EPodolak
08-26-2017, 11:50 PM

Seemed to me it was predetermined if the heavy underdog got in trouble the ref would step in. Think it was a good time to end it regardless.

OnTheWarpath15
08-26-2017, 11:51 PM
If you think for one second McGregor was going to last another 1:55 you are simply not looking at the complete picture.

McGregor was done. He was finished. It was apparent the last minute the round prior. He punched himself out of the match. Classic Mayweather. Money.

I don't think for a second that he'd last

But at least let the guy try to answer a count.

OnTheWarpath15
08-26-2017, 11:52 PM
The fact that the judges had it 8-1 Mayweather tells me this fight was full of shit.

kcchiefsus
08-26-2017, 11:53 PM
They just now announced the incomplete scorecards, and Mayweather barely won on 2 scorecards, so you don't know what the fuck you are talking about. That was a close fight until the finish.

The score doesn't even matter. Mayweather controlled the outcome from the beginning. You don't know shit.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-26-2017, 11:54 PM

Gotta disagree with you there. Guys get in really deep shit on their feet if the refs don't stop in at the right time, even if they aren't in the right position. Mercer v. Morrison is a great example of that. Here's another:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pGzmZde6Pgc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kcchiefsus
08-26-2017, 11:57 PM
Fuck you.

I didn't say Conor won, I said it was close, and you are now trying to clown me like that (the fight was close) was some absurd statement. Well fuck you, go to fucking hell, asshole, that wasn't a weird statement, and it is you who is being unreasonable. I am now going to put you on ignore. I never take people off ignore. Fuck you forever.

Nope, not even close. Floyd played his game. Conor only won those early rounds because Floyd let him.

Abba-Dabba
08-26-2017, 11:57 PM

In the same respect. He could have took a knee. A smart boxer would have taken a knee given the exhaustion he was under. That 10-15sec total break may have let him make it to the next round. He choose to take a beating standing up. Mayweather did his job. Let Conor wear his own ass out by punching a lot, and missing.

The ref just saved McGregor from getting physically knocked out. Result was same.

Abba-Dabba
08-26-2017, 11:59 PM
McGregor couldn't even hold his hands up anymore. He was just a punching bag at that point.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 12:01 AM
Floyd has averaged about 39 punches per round his entire career. He threw 28 in the first three rounds. That's not an accident. He was doing that for a reason.

-King-
08-27-2017, 12:01 AM
You can relax now, the black guy won

Ok...?
Posted via Mobile Device

stevieray
08-27-2017, 12:09 AM
If conor had paced himself too, it would have been interesting to see that play out. The MMA mindest of going full hore in an instant hurt his aproach

i thought it was cool when Floyd gave him credit for being a lot better than he expected.

conor swung for the fences against one of the greatest. Major props.

Sassy Squatch
08-27-2017, 12:11 AM
Why is there even a discussion of whether the fight should have been stopped or not? McGregor had spaghetti legs for a couple rounds as it was.

WhawhaWhat
08-27-2017, 12:13 AM
I had Mayweather up 6-3. McGregor couldn't keep his hands up anymore in the 10th and the ref did a good job to minimize excess damage.

Floyd did a masterful job letting of Conor gas himself. If you watch every clinch after the 2nd round, Floyd is pressing the action and being the aggressor every time, not letting Conor catch his breath for even a moment.

That was a much better fight then it had any business of being. I'm ready for the real fight next month, Canelo vs GGG.

SPchief
08-27-2017, 12:17 AM
al,

You're a good guy, but sometimes you go a touch overboard on these fight threads.

McGregor threw 110 more punches than Floyd and landed 60 fewer despite Floyd throwing 28 punches *total* in the first three rounds.

I'm not gonna defend AL here, but as a non boxing fan (admiditaly biased against boxing "judges").

Cards are out, and how any judge gives Mayweather round 2 is completely absurd. He literally lands 6 punches and 2 judges give him the round. That's probably why Al went off.

cooper barrett
08-27-2017, 12:18 AM
Floyd has averaged about 39 punches per round his entire career. He threw 28 in the first three rounds. That's not an accident. He was doing that for a reason.

You think ending the fight in the first round would have gone over well...

SPchief
08-27-2017, 12:20 AM
Fuck you.

The fight wasn't close. It went as expected. Did McGregor look way better than anyone thought? Yes

kcxiv
08-27-2017, 12:20 AM
Gotta disagree with you there. Guys get in really deep shit on their feet if the refs don't stop in at the right time, even if they aren't in the right position. Mercer v. Morrison is a great example of that. Here's another:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pGzmZde6Pgc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ref's dont let fights go like that anymore. Have you ever heard Hearns when he talks now? dude can barely speak, his brain is mush.

kcxiv
08-27-2017, 12:22 AM
If conor had paced himself too, it would have been interesting to see that play out. The MMA mindest of going full hore in an instant hurt his aproach

i thought it was cool when Floyd gave him credit for being a lot better than he expected.

conor swung for the fences against one of the greatest. Major props.

Connor couldnt pace himself, the ONLY chance he had was a knockout in the first 3 rounds, then after this regardless his power is gone becuase he doesnt have a boxer's gas tank. Floyd knew what he was doing The WHOLE fight. He explained it after.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 12:22 AM
ref's dont let fights go like that anymore. Have you ever heard Hearns when he talks now? dude can barely speak, his brain is mush.

I agree. That's why you don't let them go that long, and that's why fights are only 12 rounds now. If a guy can't intelligently defend himself, the fight needs to end. You don't get the awesome visuals of a dude crumpling to the canvas, but it's a hell of a lot safer.

SPchief
08-27-2017, 12:24 AM
The fact that the judges had it 8-1 Mayweather tells me this fight was full of shit.

The match was way closer than what the cards say. And that's why people don't respect boxing

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 12:25 AM
I'm not gonna defend AL here, but as a non boxing fan (admiditaly biased against boxing "judges").

Cards are out, and how any judge gives Mayweather round 2 is completely absurd. He literally lands 6 punches and 2 judges give him the round. That's probably why Al went off.

Just throwing punches is not enough to win rounds if you aren't throwing punches that are effective or accurate. I can understand someone being upset if they just look at the punch stats for that round, and I think they have a case to make, but McGregor's punches were really, really weak because his technique was so poor. Even the ones he landed were completely ineffective and his jab was more of a pawing push than a snap. That's why Floyd started walking him down. He had nothing to fear.

Eleazar
The fight wasn't close. It went as expected. Did McGregor look way better than anyone thought? Yes

Did he "look better than anyone thought" he would? No. He looked pretty much like everyone expected. Basically, an amateur. The fact that Floyd didn't go trying to knock him out in round one doesn't really change that.

He has heart and he is certainly tough, but he was never in danger of winning that match.

WhawhaWhat
The match was way closer than what the cards say. And that's why people don't respect boxing

If you think bad judging it limited to boxing, then you must not watch much of either.

SPchief
08-27-2017, 12:27 AM
The score doesn't even matter. Mayweather controlled the outcome from the beginning.

Yes

But that's why people don't respect boxing judges.

stevieray
08-27-2017, 12:29 AM
Connor couldnt pace himself, the ONLY chance he had was a knockout in the first 3 rounds, then after this regardless his power is gone becuase he doesnt have a boxer's gas tank. Floyd knew what he was doing The WHOLE fight. He explained it after.
It would have been a diferent fight is all I' m saying.

I dont think anyone can take anything away from mcGregor

BryanBusby
08-27-2017, 12:34 AM
It wasn't.

kcxiv
08-27-2017, 12:36 AM
It would have been a diferent fight is all I' m saying.

I dont think anyone can take anything away from mcGregor

It would have been floyd winning every round because connor would have tried to flight like old floyd. it would have just went 12-0

kcxiv
08-27-2017, 12:37 AM
It wasn't.

you could give Connor 3 rounds 3rd round could have been iffy either way, but i gave the first 3 to connor, and that was it. Connor only won the first 2, because lets face it, Floyd gave it to him so he could punch himself out.

The fight was not even really close. Floyd was never in danger of being knocked out. that goofball that called the fight that said floyd was hurt, was just trying to hype connor is all.

stevieray
08-27-2017, 12:38 AM
[[/STRIKE]It would have been floyd winning every round because connor would have tried to flight like old floyd. it would have just went 12-0

Who knows?

iI will admit, its funny watching people defend the winner.

SPchief
08-27-2017, 12:39 AM
Just throwing punches is not enough to win rounds if you aren't throwing punches that are effective or accurate. I can understand someone being upset if they just look at the punch stats for that round, and I think they have a case to make, but McGregor's punches were really, really weak because his technique was so poor. Even the ones he landed were completely ineffective and his jab was more of a pawing push than a snap. That's why Floyd started walking him down. He had nothing to fear.

I'm not disagreeing. But even you can agree that McGregor won round 2. He came out on the offensive, and controlled the round. While Maywther took them all an, as he should and everyone predicted. And 2 judges gave Maywther the round. That's a bad look

BryanBusby
08-27-2017, 12:40 AM
you could give Connor 3 rounds 3rd round could have been iffy either way, but i gave the first 3 to connor, and that was it. Connor only won the first 2, because lets face it, Floyd gave it to him so he could punch himself out.

The fight was not even really close. Floyd was never in danger of being knocked out. that goofball that called the fight that said floyd was hurt, was just trying to hype connor is all.
Correct.

The fight looked a lot closer to a casual viewer because they aren't looking at the big picture.

Ming the Merciless
At the fight yep.

Crazy..thought they were both around 150...155

Makes mayweather that much more impressive to me

kcxiv
I'm not disagreeing. But even you can agree that McGregor won round 2. He came out on the offensive, and controlled the round. And 2 judges gave Maywther the round. That's a bad look

its only a bad look if it went to the scorecards, thats why you dont let it, it didnt, and the right guy won regardless.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 12:42 AM
Correct.

The fight looked a lot closer to a casual viewer because they aren't looking at the big picture.

And the casual viewer thinks that any punch thrown that hits gloves, bicep, or forearm is actually landing.

BWillie
08-27-2017, 12:50 AM
Easy money.

Just unreal how retarded some people are. Throw a loudmouth, great white hope out there and people throw their wallets at the books.

Yep. Vegas basically bet so much money on Mayweather it was hilarious. They had 4 to 1 odds on Conor and people were gobbling it up. They knew the hype would get enough people to put dead money on Conor. lololol.

Some of the small online books that can't risk absorbing a huge loss like Vegas can had it no less than 20/1.

SPchief
08-27-2017, 12:51 AM
And the casual viewer thinks that any punch thrown that hits gloves, bicep, or forearm is actually landing.

I'm getting into AL territory. But 2 TWO judges had round 2 for Mayweather.

I'll repeat, I'm a casual fan of both sports. That's a bad look for boxing.

BryanBusby
08-27-2017, 12:54 AM

It's not at all and I have no idea how you're drawing to that conclusion.

McGregor came out swinging like a lunatic for awhile before tiring out. He never actually controlled the bout.

This fight did nothing for boxing, either direction.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 12:56 AM

Hammer fists are not legal blows, and wild, featherfisted punches that do nothing don't impress judges.

BWillie
08-27-2017, 12:57 AM
It didn't take brass balls. It was a money grab for both of them. Not that I blame either of them. I'd step into the ring tomorrow with Mayweather or McGregor, hell Tyson in his prime for 30 million dollars.

I agree. I don't get where this "warrior" "balls of steel" "amazing courage" crap comes to. I'd get into the ring with anyone within 20 lbs of me for even $499 assuming they pay my medical bills. Let alone 30 million. Courage? GFTO. Easy pay day more like it. We were scammed, but it was much more entertaining than I thought it would be.

I wasn't that surprised with how cautious Mayweather was. There is no reason to come out aggressive against this kind of opponent especially with how Mayweather fights. I called for a knockout in round 7, and got a knockout in round 10. Close enough. Should have bet on the Mayweather KO.

BWillie
08-27-2017, 01:01 AM
LOL. So I bet my nephew and my brother in law $100 each that Mayweather would win the fight. They both seemed to think McGregor would roll.

How can people on Earth be this stupid?

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 01:03 AM
FWIW,

If you want to see what a younger Floyd looked like, watch this ass whipping of Gatti. His defense wasn't as masterful as it became in his thirties, but he was even faster, and he carried much more power at 130-140 than he did at welterweight and above.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8R3z91fxEcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ming the Merciless
08-27-2017, 01:05 AM
They just now announced the incomplete scorecards, and Mayweather barely won on 2 scorecards, so you don't know what the **** you are talking about. That was a close fight until the finish.

ROFLROFLROFL

Nickhead
08-27-2017, 01:21 AM
was i the only one that heard connor tell the ref 'im dead, im dead'? :D

RobBlake
08-27-2017, 01:26 AM

No it wasn't close. The first three rounds it was due to just pure scoring. Wen they had it close after mayweather dominated him and Connor did hammer dust and. Behind the head hits without deduction then you knew judges were jokes

RobBlake
08-27-2017, 01:27 AM
FWIW,

If you want to see what a younger Floyd looked like, watch this ass whipping of Gatti. His defense wasn't as masterful as it became in his thirties, but he was even faster, and he carried much more power at 130-140 than he did at welterweight and above.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8R3z91fxEcI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mayweather would have k o ed him out within 3 rounds when in his prime no question

Nickhead
08-27-2017, 01:35 AM
FWIW,

gatti was a tough sob, win or lose. :D

nceagle_11
08-27-2017, 05:07 AM
Hammer fists are not legal blows, and wild, featherfisted punches that do nothing don't impress judges.

So what you're saying is boxing is a pretend sport that is based on "impressing" some old guys sitting next to the ring. Conner had a few hammer fists out of habit, but he also dominated mayweather for a few rounds. Mayweather also played a b_tch role and turned his back several times when mcgregor got going, then complained that he hit the back of his head. McGregor should won at least 3 of the first 5 rounds, but that was never part of the plan. This fight was designed to show that boxing still matters and is better than MMA. The problem is that McGregor held his own and spoiled that plan. How long would Mayweather last in an octagon?

ChiefRocka
08-27-2017, 06:17 AM
The fight was a joke, as I expected. Mayweather was pulling punches the entire fight. Connor's guard was basically at his waist from round three on. Both fighters looked pretty after the stoppage.

Eleazar
08-27-2017, 06:20 AM
So what you're saying is boxing is a pretend sport that is based on "impressing" some old guys sitting next to the ring. Conner had a few hammer fists out of habit, but he also dominated mayweather for a few rounds.

ROFL

Mile High Mania
08-27-2017, 06:56 AM
The fight waa a joke, as I expected. Mayweather was pulling punches the entire fight. Connor's guard was basically at his waist from round three on. Both fighters looked pretty after the stoppage.

Yeah, I don't follow boxing, but early on... just looked like Mayweather was playing cat to his mouse. Just dragging this thing out to avoid some quick ending. Sure, McGregor got in a few good hits, but at no time did anyone really think 'this could happen'.

Mayweather was playing it up and with the quick "last fight of my career" comments, setting up a possible rematch of sorts. Why not.. the money is good.

BigCatDaddy
08-27-2017, 07:09 AM

What did you think about the scoring on Paqs last fight?

Abba-Dabba
08-27-2017, 07:14 AM
So what you're saying is boxing is a pretend sport that is based on "impressing" some old guys sitting next to the ring. Conner had a few hammer fists out of habit, but he also dominated mayweather for a few rounds. Mayweather also played a b_tch role and turned his back several times when mcgregor got going, then complained that he hit the back of his head. McGregor should won at least 3 of the first 5 rounds, but that was never part of the plan. This fight was designed to show that boxing still matters and is better than MMA. The problem is that McGregor held his own and spoiled that plan. How long would Mayweather last in an octagon?

What a load of bullshit. McGregor was all talk. Where was this pace for the first 4 rounds that he said Mayweather couldn't keep up. Mayweather let him have those 4 rounds at Mcgregor pace. And it was laughable watching that dumb fuck McGregor fall right into his own bullshit. If that is the best MMA can bring to the boxing ring. They still need a few more years.

And as far as a top boxer going into a MMA ring. Forget it. No incentive financial or otherwise. The money doesn't pay at that level. It chump change to them. A few million vs. 100 million. Hah.

TRR
08-27-2017, 07:25 AM
What a load of bullshit. McGregor was all talk. Where was this pace for the first 4 rounds that he said Mayweather couldn't keep up. Mayweather let him have those 4 rounds at Mcgregor pace. And it was laughable watching that dumb **** McGregor fall right into his own bullshit. If that is the best MMA can bring to the boxing ring. They still need a few more years.

And as far as a top boxer going into a MMA ring. Forget it. No incentive financial or otherwise. The money doesn't pay at that level. It chump change to them. A few million vs. 100 million. Hah.

That's why boxing is a joke. It's all about the money. Multiple belts, fighters scared to fight other fighters. LONG layoffs. A complete waste.

Money aside: Mayweather wouldn't last 60 seconds in the octagon with McGregor on his best day. He would be beaten, bloodied, and would be tapping out before your popcorn was ready.

jspchief
08-27-2017, 07:26 AM
Paid $20 to watch it at a bar and it was well worth it. Fun being in a crowd that's all hyped and invested. I felt like McGregor did better than most expected, even if the end result was completely predictable. The ref did a good job cutting McGregor slack on the hammer punches, and he called the fight at the exact moment he should have.

You can laugh off the idea of this fight being an over-hyped circus act, but the reality is this fight succeeded where boxing has failed more often than not in the last decade. It was an event. Households threw parties to host the fight. Bars were busting at the seams with all eyes on the tv. The Canelo fight is a much bigger deal in the boxing world and and comparatively speaking, no one will give a shit about it. At the end of the day, we can wax poetic about the "sweet science" but the truth is boxing is dying as a spectator sport.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Abba-Dabba
08-27-2017, 07:34 AM
That's why boxing is a joke. It's all about the money. Multiple belts, fighters scared to fight other fighters. LONG layoffs. A complete waste.

Money aside: Mayweather wouldn't last 60 seconds in the octagon with McGregor on his best day. He would be beaten, bloodied, and would be tapping out before your popcorn was ready.

It is a joke because it is more profitable for the fighter? What kind of dumb reasoning is that? Look, do whatever you need to use to justify to yourself that MMA is equal to boxing.

Until you can find promoters that can get a top fighter paid the money they would make in a boxing ring you will always be the little brother to boxing trying to make his come up. Until that time. You have zero chance a boxer getting in a MMA ring.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
08-27-2017, 08:12 AM
MMA fans are a joke. The sport is a joke.

notorious
08-27-2017, 08:14 AM
In the same respect. He could have took a knee. A smart boxer would have taken a knee given the exhaustion he was under. That 10-15sec total break may have let him make it to the next round. He choose to take a beating standing up. Mayweather did his job. Let Conor wear his own ass out by punching a lot, and missing.

The ref just saved McGregor from getting physically knocked out. Result was same.

He should have just ducked and turned his back to Mayweather. Evidently that's great boxing these days.

lewdog
08-27-2017, 08:20 AM
Great thread. Could be considered for the hall of classics.

Two things I learned about Al North.
1. He takes MMA very seriously
2. He takes late night drinking very seriously

Abba-Dabba
08-27-2017, 08:20 AM
He should have just ducked and turned his back to Mayweather. Evidently that's great boxing these days.

Instead he was stupid and tried to showboat his way with his hands behind his back. Evidently, that is great MMA fighting.

notorious
08-27-2017, 08:25 AM
Instead he was stupid and tried to showboat his way with his hands behind his back. Evidently, that is great MMA fighting.

I am not defending Mcgreggor at all. He is not a boxer, he sucks at it.

I have never watched a MMA except for the old VHS tapes back in the 90's.

Mayweather is like the old Wisconsin college basketball teams that burned the clock up slowly. Sure, they were good, but it's very hard to watch.

Abba-Dabba
08-27-2017, 08:30 AM

Boxing has gone downhill greatly. Mayweather is like the old Wisconsin college basketball teams that burned the clock up slowly. Sure, they were good, but it's very hard to watch.

All types of fighting evolve. Nothing wrong with being a defensive fighter. That is a legitimate tactic. Not all great boxers have to be Hulk in the ring to be successful.

Marcellus
08-27-2017, 08:31 AM
Paid $20 to watch it at a bar and it was well worth it. Fun being in a crowd that's all hyped and invested. I felt like McGregor did better than most expected, even if the end result was completely predictable. The ref did a good job cutting McGregor slack on the hammer punches, and he called the fight at the exact moment he should have.

You can laugh off the idea of this fight being an over-hyped circus act, but the reality is this fight succeeded where boxing has failed more often than not in the last decade. It was an event. Households threw parties to host the fight. Bars were busting at the seams with all eyes on the tv. The Canelo fight is a much bigger deal in the boxing world and and comparatively speaking, no one will give a shit about it. At the end of the day, we can wax poetic about the "sweet science" but the truth is boxing is dying as a spectator sport.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Agreed, I had 10 friends over and everyone pitched in 10 bucks. We ate good food, drank good beer and had fun watching the fight.

McGregor did what he needed to do, he went 10 rounds with one of the best ever and now he can say, alright get into the octagon which will never happen so he can say he is still the better fighter.

I dont think they should have stopped it where they did though.

notorious
08-27-2017, 08:34 AM
All types of fighting evolve. Nothing wrong with being a defensive fighter. That is a legitimate tactic. Not all great boxers have to be Hulk in the ring to be successful.

Did I say anything that disagree with your post?

WhawhaWhat
08-27-2017, 08:40 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The final CompuBox stats for Mayweather-McGregor. <a href="https://t.co/ZKiAHLyODa">pic.twitter.com/ZKiAHLyODa</a></p>&mdash; Arash Markazi (@ArashMarkazi) <a href="https://twitter.com/ArashMarkazi/status/901676316025425921">August 27, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WhawhaWhat
08-27-2017, 08:44 AM

Mayweather is like the old Wisconsin college basketball teams that burned the clock up slowly. Sure, they were good, but it's very hard to watch.

Canelo vs GGG next month should be your kind of match then.

CoMoChief
08-27-2017, 08:57 AM
Well I thought it would go the distance. Didn't think Mayweather would be able to knock out McGregor. Also thought the ref stopped the fight way too prematurely. Conor has been in much worse shape than that before (see the Diaz fight). Didn't think Conor would be able to land much....and he really didn't other than some pesky little jabs that you or I could even probably handle.

BUT

You're talking about the greatest boxer ever....or def one of the greatest. Conor probably would have lasted 12rds had the ref not stopped the fight.

Boxing is a joke. It's dead. Floyd is done, and there isn't a guy out there that's mainstream enough to carry the sport.

notorious
08-27-2017, 09:00 AM
Boxing rules are a little different than MMA rules CoMo.

Abba-Dabba
08-27-2017, 09:07 AM
Did I say anything that disagree with your post?

I'm not in the camp that boxing has gone downhill. Is it in it's prime commercially? No. I think boxing has evolved. I don't think the days of big bruising toe to toe brawlers will be back any time soon. And that is what people miss about boxing. People miss seeing big men out there just crushing each other. Hence the popularity of MMA. Boxing has really become a thinking man's sport in the past 2 decades.

Buns
08-27-2017, 09:14 AM
What did Conor mean when he said he turned Mayweather into a Mexican?

thegame214
08-27-2017, 09:44 AM

The style of fighting.

BigCatDaddy
08-27-2017, 10:25 AM
Well I thought it would go the distance. Didn't think Mayweather would be able to knock out McGregor. Also thought the ref stopped the fight way too prematurely. Conor has been in much worse shape than that before (see the Diaz fight). Didn't think Conor would be able to land much....and he really didn't other than some pesky little jabs that you or I could even probably handle.

BUT

You're talking about the greatest boxer ever....or def one of the greatest. Conor probably would have lasted 12rds had the ref not stopped the fight.

Boxing is a joke. It's dead. Floyd is done, and there isn't a guy out there that's mainstream enough to carry the sport.

McGregor was saying "Im dead" when he stopped the fight. He was just out of gas, not hurt.

Abba-Dabba
08-27-2017, 10:37 AM
McGregor was saying "Im dead" when he stopped the fight. He was just out of gas, not hurt.

The fight was over. There was 1:55 left. His hands were down, he was gassed, he was a punching bag. He could not grapple to stop the incoming punch. Mayweather would have never allowed himself to get tied up at that point. This is not MMA. He was going to be knocked out if the fight wasn't called just based upon the rules of the game. The fight was called at the right time to limit potential long term health related damage to the fighter from being beaten further.

New World Order
08-27-2017, 10:40 AM

That's hilarious

Buns
08-27-2017, 10:43 AM
The style of fighting.

That's what I thought, thanks

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 11:06 AM

These MMA diehards get butthurt way too easily.

Yeah, boxing is a "pretend" sport the same way that every other sport is--it has rules. Do you also complain whenever a defensive player doesn't spear the ball carrier after he's already gone down? Should shots that go in after the whistle count in basketball? Should players be able to leg out foul balls in baseball?

McGregor gassed himself throwing pitter-patter punches at a dismal connect percentage. McGregor did not hold his own. Floyd carried him until he wanted to finish them, then he finished him.

WhiteWhale
08-27-2017, 11:08 AM
These MMA diehards get butthurt way too easily.

Yeah, boxing is a "pretend" sport the same way that every other sport is--it has rules. Do you also complain whenever a defensive player doesn't spear the ball carrier after he's already gone down? Should shots that go in after the whistle count in basketball? Should players be able to leg out foul balls in baseball?

McGregor gassed himself throwing pitter-patter punches at a dismal connect percentage. McGregor did not hold his own. Floyd carried him until he wanted to finish them, then he finished him.

It's stupid because MMA has rules too.

You can't kick a downed opponent. You can't punch people in the back of the head. You can't poke people in the eye. You can't kick people in the nuts...

This fight could have ended in 4 rounds, but Floyd put on a show.

And I'm a huge Conor mark, but let's get real here.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 11:10 AM
What did you think about the scoring on Paqs last fight?

Didn't watch the fight. By all accounts, he was robbed. No one is saying that judges dont' make some egregious calls in boxing matches. I've seen several such bouts. This was not one of them.

WhiteWhale
08-27-2017, 11:10 AM

Yet.

Once you're out of gas in a boxing ring, it's only a matter of time before you get hurt.

The only thing that stopped him from 'being hurt' is the ref calling it.

Having a good chin and good stamina aren't unrelated in any combat sport. There's a reason nobody knocks out Nick Diaz.

BigCatDaddy
08-27-2017, 11:14 AM
Yet.

Once you're out of gas in a boxing ring, it's only a matter of time before you get hurt.

The only thing that stopped him from 'being hurt' is the ref calling it.

Having a good chin and good stamina aren't unrelated in any combat sport. There's a reason nobody knocks out Nick Diaz.

Or any combat sport. Once the tank is empty it is over. Good stoppage and Connor knew it at.the time.

BigCatDaddy
08-27-2017, 11:16 AM
Didn't watch the fight. By all accounts, he was robbed. No one is saying that judges dont' make some egregious calls in boxing matches. I've seen several such bouts. This was not one of them.

Agreed but I think giving rounds 2.and 3 to FMJ was pretty shady. He pretty much forfeited those rounds for the big picture but the judges didn't know that at the time.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 11:24 AM
Agreed but I think giving rounds 2.and 3 to FMJ was pretty shady. He pretty much forfeited those rounds for the big picture but the judges didn't know that at the time.

Defensive boxing is an art. He let McGregor punch himself out with shots that were inaccurate and ineffective. Judges dont' just look at your ability to absorb shots like a Rocky movie.

I'd say the judges probably did know it at the time since I was posting about it at the time, and they know far more about boxing than I do.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 11:25 AM
Here, BCD. Again, I'd say the judges knew if I do. I'm no expert.

Floyd was trying not to laugh as McGregor launched his opening salvo.

It doesn't really matter. Floyd is clowning and it looks like Conor's right eye is already scuffed.

McGregor is already starting to drop his right hand.

Floyd smiling during rounds and McGregor looks like he's starting to gas.

He's toying with him. He's actually doing the smart thing, which is letting McGregor tire himself out so the 1/1000 shot doesn't have a chance to land. I wouldn't have the patience to do it, that's for sure.

But Floyd is a very smart fighter.

SAUTO
08-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Here, BCD. Again, I'd say the judges knew if I do. I'm no expert.

YOU were right, anyone could see it. BUT what did mayweather do to win those rounds? Defense only?

Those judges were on no way impartial, and there was no way in hell conor was every going to win a decision. Even if he deserved it, which he didn't. But he won the first three rounds at least.

BigCatDaddy
08-27-2017, 12:49 PM
Defensive boxing is an art. He let McGregor punch himself out with shots that were inaccurate and ineffective. Judges dont' just look at your ability to absorb shots like a Rocky movie.

I'd say the judges probably did know it at the time since I was posting about it at the time, and they know far more about boxing than I do.

YOU were right, anyone could see it. BUT what did mayweather do to win those rounds? Defense only?

Those judges were on no way impartial, and there was no way in hell conor was every going to win a decision. Even if he deserved it, which he didn't. But he won the first three rounds at least.

Right. I know not getting punched is a part of the scoring but FMJ offered 0 offense or aggression in those rounds. The scoring was silly.

New World Order
08-27-2017, 12:54 PM

The fact that Conor, who has never had an acutal boxing match went in and won 5 or so rounds against the greatest boxer of his era is impressive.

SAUTO
08-27-2017, 12:57 PM
The fact that Conor, who has never had an acutal boxing match went in and won 5 or so rounds against the greatest boxer of his era is impressive.

I had him winning the first 3, and too close to call in the 5th and 8th...

Easy 6
08-27-2017, 12:58 PM

He landed more shots in 10 rounds, than Alvarez or Pacquiao did in 12

Conor acquitted himself quite well in his pro debut, to put it mildly... even Mayweathers team thinks he has a future in boxing if he wants it

WhiteWhale
08-27-2017, 12:58 PM

I dunno who the **** is scoring those rounds, but I only gave him 2.

He sure as shit didn't win 4-10 on my card.

I think he did good. Mayweather makes everyone look stupid.

BigCatDaddy
08-27-2017, 01:00 PM
Connors big plus was his power which he showed none of really.. so was he really the best matchup from the UFC side? Obviously the biggest sale. What about Diaz, Edgar, Dillashaw... be more interesting? Diaz wouldnt be able to flip him the bird in those gloves so that's am issue

WhiteWhale
08-27-2017, 01:04 PM
Connors big plus was his power which he showed none of really.. so was he really the best matchup from the UFC side? Obviously the biggest sale. What about Diaz, Edgar, Dillashaw be more interesting?

Which Diaz?

Nick is a far better boxer, but neither he or Nate are heavy hitters. They are stamina monsters though.

Nick swims to alcatraz for fun. He's a decathlete. He wouldn't gas in a boxing match. He doesn't have Conor's power (even as a WW) or his creativity.

Dillashaw's wild whinging punches would not work at all in boxing.

I'm not sure anyone in MMA would have performed better. They're not boxers, and if Conor had any goddamn cardio this would have been a much better fight. Dude has his mouth open, puffing heavily, after round 2. "Only ten more to go Conor".

New World Order
08-27-2017, 01:05 PM
Connors big plus was his power which he showed none of really.. so was he really the best matchup from the UFC side? Obviously the biggest sale. What about Diaz, Edgar, Dillashaw... be more interesting? Diaz wouldnt be able to flip him the bird in those gloves so that's am issue

I'd like to see Mousasi

BigCatDaddy
08-27-2017, 01:11 PM
Which Diaz?

Nick is a far better boxer, but neither he or Nate are heavy hitters. They are stamina monsters though.

Nick swims to alcatraz for fun. He's a decathlete. He wouldn't gas in a boxing match. He doesn't have Conor's power (even as a WW) or his creativity.

Dillashaw's wild whinging punches would not work at all in boxing.

I'm not sure anyone in MMA would have performed better. They're not boxers, and if Conor had any goddamn cardio this would have been a much better fight. Dude has his mouth open, puffing heavily, after round 2. "Only ten more to go Conor".
Was thinking Nate just because od the weight difference.

WhiteWhale
08-27-2017, 01:13 PM
Was thinking Nate just because od the weight difference.

They're really the same size. Nate's walking around 200 now, just like Nick. Same exact height. Same reach.

They're basically the same guy, but (imo) nick is better.

-King-
08-27-2017, 01:26 PM
Yeah, I don't follow boxing, but early on... just looked like Mayweather was playing cat to his mouse. Just dragging this thing out to avoid some quick ending. Sure, McGregor got in a few good hits, but at no time did anyone really think 'this could happen'.

Mayweather was playing it up and with the quick "last fight of my career" comments, setting up a possible rematch of sorts. Why not.. the money is good.
Other than Alnorth ROFL ROFL

Holy fucking shit, Conor might win this fight.
Posted via Mobile Device

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 01:49 PM

Good lord.

BigCatDaddy
08-27-2017, 01:57 PM
They're really the same size. Nate's walking around 200 now, just like Nick. Same exact height. Same reach.

They're basically the same guy, but (imo) nick is better.

I just can't remember the last Nick made 155

BigCatDaddy
08-27-2017, 01:58 PM
Other than Alnorth ROFL ROFL

Posted via Mobile Device

Al has been a bit off in the prediction area of the last year or so

stevieray
08-27-2017, 02:02 PM
They're not boxers, and if Conor had any goddamn cardio this would have been a much better fight.

That's the key right there..he should've been logging miles DAILY after the fight was sanctioned.

Eleazar
08-27-2017, 02:21 PM
Since we're doing ridiculous thought experiments here, what would have happened if McGregor had fought a 29-year old Mayweather, the same age as him? That would be 2006 for Mayweather, approximately when he fought Oscar De La Hoya.

I'm not sure it would have turned out any differently. It's strange to think about, but I don't think Mayweather being 11 years older and not having fought in 2 years made much of a difference. You might be inclined to think that if Floyd were in his prime he would have destroyed him, but he probably would have fought him more or less the same way and would similarly have had no trouble at all. Interesting proposition, at least to me.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 02:24 PM
Since we're doing ridiculous thought experiments here, what would have happened if McGregor had fought a 29-year old Mayweather, the same age as him? That would be 2006 for Mayweather, approximately when he fought Oscar De La Hoya.

I'm not sure it would have turned out any differently. It's strange to think about, but I don't think Mayweather being 11 years older and not having fought in 2 years made much of a difference. You might be inclined to think that if Floyd were in his prime he would have destroyed him, but he probably would have fought him more or less the same way and would similarly have had no trouble at all. Interesting proposition, at least to me.

Did you see what 28 year old Floyd did to Arturo Gatti, who had a hell of a stronger chin and much better cardio than McGregor?

thegame214
08-27-2017, 02:31 PM
That's the key right there..he should've been logging miles DAILY after the fight was sanctioned.

90 days away needing to learn to box appropriately and get his cardio adjusted to the rounds really showed. He didn't plan for 12 and Mayweather let him use all his energy. I know mcgregor trained for 12 but he saw "blood" early and went for the kill, thus falling into Mayweathers agenda.

kcchiefsus
08-27-2017, 02:33 PM

And what do you think is happening to MMA? Fighters are passing by the top contender for money fights.

Eleazar
08-27-2017, 02:44 PM
Did you see what 28 year old Floyd did to Arturo Gatti, who had a hell of a stronger chin and much better cardio than McGregor?

Yeah, I suppose that Gatti actually was more like what McGregor was billed as from what I remember.

stevieray
08-27-2017, 02:51 PM
90 days away needing to learn to box appropriately and get his cardio adjusted to the rounds really showed. He didn't plan for 12 and Mayweather let him use all his energy. I know mcgregor trained for 12 but he saw "blood" early and went for the kill, thus falling into Mayweathers agenda.

^^^

Danguardace
08-27-2017, 03:23 PM
MMA fans are a joke. The sport is a joke.

MMA is just the answer to the question; What if WWE was real?

The answer is something largely forgettable.Mcgregor is popular because he talks and knocks people out like a boxer.

Heavy weight UFC fights are boring which works against it.

Nobody will ever go 49-0 in MMA and that works against.

BigCatDaddy
08-27-2017, 03:33 PM
MMA is just the answer to the question; What if WWE was real?

The answer is something largely forgettable.Mcgregor is popular because he talks and knocks people out like a boxer.

Heavy weight UFC fights are boring which works against it.

Nobody will ever go 49-0 in MMA and that works against.

HW boxing.matches these days arent exactly barn burners.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 03:40 PM

He thought he saw blood, which was part of Floyd's strategy. In reality, there wasn't even a scratch. Floyd played defense (differently, mind you, almost no shoulder roll in this fight at all), let McGregor exhaust himself with weak punches, then carved him up.

Like Lennox Lewis said, it's what any good fighter would do--take him into the deep waters and drown him.

It takes years to train for a 12-round fight, and I'm not sure that McGregor would ever be able to do it. Some guys just don't have the cardio for it. It also takes years to learn how to box appropriately.

McGregor had a 20 lb weight advantage, but otherwise fought and paced himself like what he is, an amateur with some talent, but an amateur nonetheless.

If McGregor boxed full time he'd still struggle, because the guy does not have punching power for the divisions he'd fight in. However, he does have excellent reflexes and quickness.

stevieray
08-27-2017, 03:45 PM
No punching power? Aldo, Mendes and Diaz know different.

Name another person that is going to take on what some consider the best pound for pound fighter in their very first fight.

Easy 6
08-27-2017, 04:08 PM
Its just a shame that so many want to run McGregor down, if you looked around at what the boxing world had to say about it today, they were genuinely impressed

Mayweathers own people said he showed a big heart, toughness, real skill, and that if he wanted to pursue a boxing career, he could do it

Too many people are too invested in one side or the others supremacy, to just have enjoyed the fight for what it was

stevieray
08-27-2017, 04:21 PM
Its just a shame that so many want to run McGregor down, if you looked around at what the boxing world had to say about it today, they were genuinely impressed

Mayweathers own people said he showed a big heart, toughness, real skill, and that if he wanted to pursue a boxing career, he could do it

Too many people are too invested in one side or the others supremacy, to just have enjoyed the fight for what it was

:clap:

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 05:50 PM
No punching power? Aldo, Mendes and Diaz know different.

Name another person that is going to take on what some consider the best pound for pound fighter in their very first fight.

It's pretty damned obvious that punching power from MMA does not carry over to boxing. None of McGregor's punches did any damage in that fight. None. He probably doesn't hit as hard as Chris Algieri. That doesn't mean he doesn't have punching power in MMA, but it does mean he lacks power in boxing.

And anyone in UFC would have taken that fight for that purse.

stevieray
08-27-2017, 06:06 PM
It's pretty damned obvious that punching power from MMA does not carry over to boxing. None of McGregor's punches did any damage in that fight. None. He probably doesn't hit as hard as Chris Algieri. That doesn't mean he doesn't have punching power in MMA, but it does mean he lacks power in boxing.

And anyone in UFC would have taken that fight for that purse.

Disagree. He put Diaz on his ass. If he had no punching power, Mayweather would've ate every one thrown.

...nobody in UFC commands/receives that kind of fight/coin BUT McGregor.

SAUTO
08-27-2017, 06:09 PM
Disagree. He put Diaz on his ass. If he had no punching power, Mayweather would've ate every one thrown.

...nobody in UFC commands/receives that kind of coin BUT McGregor.

After conor landed the left uppercut mayweather shied away from any left for a little while. He felt it.

SAUTO
08-27-2017, 06:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/4vd1KZ9.jpg

WhiteWhale
08-27-2017, 06:23 PM

Seriously. You can tell who is who. Boxing snobs are way too harsh on Conor, and MMA fanboys are delusional about how well he did in there.

It's actually funny because listening to boxing snobs you'd think Conor was the first person Floyd ever made look lost in the ring. The reality is that Floyd does that to everyone.

Easy 6
08-27-2017, 06:25 PM
:clap:

Just glad I didnt give up on finding a decent stream :D

Bounced around a bunch before finally finding a steady one early in the 5th that went the distance

Everyone saying McGregor didnt do jack, are delusional... he landed more in less rounds than any recent fighter has, and he had Floyd stumbling at least twice early on

But Mayweather proved too canny, and deservedly won, it was a good stoppage... dude is slicker than teflon, he outboxed and outfoxed

I was highly entertained, great show from both... and I loved the sportsmanship between the two afterward, both guys were nothing but class

WhiteWhale
08-27-2017, 06:26 PM
He thought he saw blood, which was part of Floyd's strategy. In reality, there wasn't even a scratch. Floyd played defense (differently, mind you, almost no shoulder roll in this fight at all), let McGregor exhaust himself with weak punches, then carved him up.

Like Lennox Lewis said, it's what any good fighter would do--take him into the deep waters and drown him.

It takes years to train for a 12-round fight, and I'm not sure that McGregor would ever be able to do it. Some guys just don't have the cardio for it. It also takes years to learn how to box appropriately.

McGregor had a 20 lb weight advantage, but otherwise fought and paced himself like what he is, an amateur with some talent, but an amateur nonetheless.

If McGregor boxed full time he'd still struggle, because the guy does not have punching power for the divisions he'd fight in. However, he does have excellent reflexes and quickness.

Of course he didn't use the shoulder roll and he didn't use much philly shell.

He's fighting a southpaw. You should have expected that much. Pretty basic level boxing strategy there.

It's a bit hard to dissect power when nothing lands though. Conor's power is over-rated in MMA too. It's his precision and timing that causes KO's. If you clip a guy on the chin while he's leaning in, that's how knockouts happen. They don't always require OMG power.

stevieray
08-27-2017, 06:50 PM

He's fighting a southpaw. You should have expected that much. Pretty basic level boxing strategy there.

It's a bit hard to dissect power when nothing lands though. Conor's power is over-rated in MMA too. It's his precision and timing that causes KO's. If you clip a guy on the chin while he's leaning in, that's how knockouts happen. They don't always require OMG power.

Both fighters are good counter punchers

BigCatDaddy
08-27-2017, 06:50 PM

And little dudes don't pack much pop anyways. It's usually KO by quantity. Morales/MAB were great fights for that reason.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 07:00 PM

And Conor did clip him on the chin when he was leaning in in the first and it did nothing to Floyd.

Also, while there is a belief among a lot of boxers that southpaws will beat shoulder roll/shell fighters, it certainly has never happened to Mayweather, who fared just fine against elite southpaws like Zab Judah and Pacquiao, and Floyd used it plenty against Pacquiao.

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 07:04 PM

...nobody in UFC commands/receives that kind of fight/coin BUT McGregor.

That's not the claim I made. I don't doubt McGregor is the biggest draw, but he took a fight that anyone else in UFC would have, too.

And Mayweather didn't eat every one because he didn't have to. He slipped them because why not? When Conor said he made him a Mexican, he meant that Floyd fought him like a pressure fighter, which is completely unlike how Floyd fights. That's how little respect he had for his power. He walked him down because he knew he couldn't hurt him. He's not JCC who needed to do that to fight in the pocket and win exchanges with his superior chin.

LiveSteam
08-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Their were so many flaws in McGs boxing game, I quit counting.
No foot work. No snap in his jab, pawing with it. No angles. He looked like a fish out of water to me.

stevieray
08-27-2017, 07:07 PM
That's not the claim I made. I don't doubt McGregor is the biggest draw, but he took a fight that anyone else in UFC would have, too.

And Mayweather didn't eat every one because he didn't have to. He slipped them because why not? When Conor said he made him a Mexican, he meant that Floyd fought him like a pressure fighter, which is completely unlike how Floyd fights. That's how little respect he had for his power. He walked him down because he knew he couldn't hurt him. He's not JCC who needed to do that to fight in the pocket and win exchanges with his superior chin.

...Nobody else is going to GET that offer.

....the rest is just your opinion.

LiveSteam
08-27-2017, 07:07 PM
Bud Crawford has all the tools. Can fight orthodox or southpaw. Time to move up to 147

RobBlake
08-27-2017, 07:20 PM
Their were so many flaws in McGs boxing game, I quit counting.
No foot work. No snap in his jab, pawing with it. No angles. He looked like a fish out of water to me.

None of his hits phased money lol he was smiling even bigger after round one

'Hamas' Jenkins
08-27-2017, 07:33 PM
...Nobody else is going to GET that offer.

....the rest is just your opinion.

Truly astounding analysis that Conor McGregor is the biggest draw in MMA.

stevieray
08-27-2017, 07:42 PM
Truly astounding analysis that Conor McGregor is the biggest draw in MMA.

..and we're done.

New World Order
08-27-2017, 08:05 PM
Who cares.

The bottomline is an MMA fighter with absolutely no experience in professional boxing did pretty well against this boxing era's GOAT.

God of Thunder
08-27-2017, 11:15 PM
Who cares.

The bottomline is an MMA fighter with absolutely no experience in professional boxing did pretty well against this boxing era's GOAT.

Who is also past his prime and 40 years old.......

RobBlake
08-28-2017, 12:08 AM
Who cares.

He didn't do well at all. He's a trained fighter with terrible footwork. Prime Floyd would have knocked him out likely within two rounds. I have a high feeling Floyd dragged it out for show and knowing Conor would have zero conditioning

thegame214
08-28-2017, 04:30 AM
He didn't do well at all. He's a trained fighter with terrible footwork. Prime Floyd would have knocked him out likely within two rounds. I have a high feeling Floyd dragged it out for show and knowing Conor would have zero conditioning

Doubtful.

Eleazar
08-28-2017, 05:18 AM

Even on Saturday you got the feeling Floyd could probably have knocked him out whenever he wanted. He was just staying within his game plan.

B_Ambuehl
08-28-2017, 11:01 AM
I come from a boxing background, don't like MMA, and thought the fight would be over in 4 rounds. But McGregor impressed me. He truly is a physical freak. His arms are like spider arms and he has enough athletic ability & quickness to do some damage. Mayweather is pretty long for 153 but McGregor towered over him in size and length, I didnt expect that. If he focused on it, McGregor would be able to do serious work just by learning how to use his jab effectively. He has some unique physical attributes to work with IMO. I'd like to see him focus on boxing and see what he could do, he'd probably make more money than MMA and it would help revitalize the sport.

I can't fault McGregor for gassing out. Any fighter thrown into that situation under those circumstances would gas out, regardless of conditioning. Adrenaline has a lot to do with it, he was tight even before the bell. There's a reason amateur fighters usually go from 3 round amateur fights and start with 4-6 round pro fights initially. Twelve rounds takes a long time to work up to. So I wouldn't evaluate anything McGregor did after the first few rounds. After that, his power was predictably gone.

blasteman
01-15-2018, 03:45 AM
Does Saleh Stevens MMA have a chance next month?

macjane
01-30-2018, 10:10 PM
Any betting lines for Saleh Stevens MMA?