PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs How long does it usually take to retire numbers?

RealSNR
10-04-2017, 01:25 PM
It really sucks seeing a jackhole like Ross Travis out there wearing #88. Isn't it about time Tony Gonzalez had his number retired?

No, I'm not saying go crazy with the number retirings. Just Tony. His resume speaks for itself, does it not?

Amnorix
10-04-2017, 01:29 PM
Do the Chiefs have any retired numbers? Sorry, don't mean to be ignorant, but some teams might just have a policy against it.

The problem is that unlike other team sports, there are WAY more football players, and the number of numbers available gets pretty thin if you're retiring them. All that said, I'd think Tony G would deserve it.

I doubt I'll see any 12s in a Patriots uniform ever again. But as great as Gronk is, I doubt he's our last 87.

ChiefsCountry
10-04-2017, 01:30 PM
Chiefs retire them when they go to the NFL Hall of Fame as a Chief.

DaFace
10-04-2017, 01:31 PM
Do the Chiefs have any retired numbers? Sorry, don't mean to be ignorant, but some teams might just have a policy against it.

The problem is that unlike other team sports, there are WAY more football players, and the number of numbers available gets pretty thin if you're retiring them. All that said, I'd think Tony G would deserve it.

I doubt I'll see any 12s in a Patriots uniform ever again. But as great as Gronk is, I doubt he's our last 87.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Kansas_City_Chiefs_retired_numbers

As for the question, I'm kind of surprised they haven't already, but if they do it I'd guess it'll be once he's officially in the HOF.

KCrockaholic
10-04-2017, 01:32 PM
Do the Chiefs have any retired numbers?

A bunch. 16, 28, 3, 58, 86. Those come to mind immediately. I'm sure I forgot a couple.

Mephistopheles Janx
http://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2017/03/29/theres-a-reason-why-tony-gonzalez-isnt-in-the-chiefs-ring-of-honor-yet/

“We have a policy about a player being retired for a certain number of years that’s like the NFL’s [for the Hall of Fame],” Hunt said, via Terez Paylor of the Kansas City Star.

mikeyis4dcats.
http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2/Offseason-Notebook-What%E2%80%99s-in-a-number/01882050-e8ed-4b9d-9758-9eefa7a75f44

DaFace
10-04-2017, 01:33 PM
Kind of crazy...DT is the only one to be retired since Stenerud. The 80's and 90's sucked...

KCrockaholic
10-04-2017, 01:35 PM
Kind of crazy...DT is the only one to be retired since Stenerud. The 80's and 90's sucked...

Joe Delaney should've been retired, 37.

Come to think of it, we haven't had a 37 that I can recall.

RealSNR
10-04-2017, 01:42 PM

I get Mack Lee Hill and Stone Johnson... kinda? Mack Lee Hill at least contributed a bit, but wasn't Stone Johnson only a preseason player? I don't think he was ever on the active roster.

And why do those players get their numbers retired but not Joe Delaney, who showed arguably more promise for a great career than either player? He died early as well.

And Abner Haynes? That's the one that really gets me. Five freakin seasons and you get your number retired. I wouldn't retire Priest Holmes, and he played 6 seasons for us (6.5 counting those games where he foolishly came back under Herm).

Good thing they made it harder to get your number retired, because holy jeepers we'd be out of numbers really fast.

Best22
10-04-2017, 01:55 PM
I get Mack Lee Hill and Stone Johnson... kinda? Mack Lee Hill at least contributed a bit, but wasn't Stone Johnson only a preseason player? I don't think he was ever on the active roster.

And why do those players get their numbers retired but not Joe Delaney, who showed arguably more promise for a great career than either player? He died early as well.

And Abner Haynes? That's the one that really gets me. Five freakin seasons and you get your number retired. I wouldn't retire Priest Holmes, and he played 6 seasons for us (6.5 counting those games where he foolishly came back under Herm).

Good thing they made it harder to get your number retired, because holy jeepers we'd be out of numbers really fast.

Chiefs probably changed their policy before Delaney died

DaFace
10-04-2017, 01:57 PM
Joe Delaney should've been retired, 37.

Come to think of it, we haven't had a 37 that I can recall.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure 37 is "unofficially" retired. I sure can't think of anyone who's worn it since.

EDIT: Definitely unofficially retired.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/uniform.cgi?number=37&team=kan