PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So did we solve the Cover 2?

Coogs
12-04-2017, 06:45 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed int other threads. I have not had time to read through all of them to check, but I have been wondering since yesterday. Was our offensive breakout a result of us solving the cover 2? Or did the Jets run something different on defense?

In58men
12-04-2017, 06:47 PM
No because we lost.

thegame214
12-04-2017, 06:50 PM
It's easy to solve it's more about execution which we somewhat did

kcpasco
12-04-2017, 06:50 PM
The Jets did try and play man on Hill. Lol and the Chiefs still lost to such a dumb team.

chiefzilla1501
12-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Showing we aren't afraid to throw it deep helps. But it still relied on gimmicks. It's either a gimmick and a short play, or it's a designed deep pass when the defense gets caught cheating. We started the game forcing looks to kelce and the Jets reacted by shutting him down in the second half. We spent the second half focusing on tyreek hill. How will other defenses respond now? I think we dug ourselves out of the basement because it isn't easy to stop Kelce and hill at the same time, but I don't think we've really solved anything until we can run the offense without the gimmicks. We have to consistently establish the intermediate field.

We will find out soon enough when we play the chargers.

Dartgod
12-04-2017, 06:58 PM
Showing we aren't afraid to throw it deep helps. But it still relied on gimmicks. It's either a gimmick and a short play, or it's a designed deep pass when the defense gets caught cheating. We started the game forcing looks to kelce and the Jets reacted by shutting him down in the second half. We spent the second half focusing on tyreek hill. How will other defenses respond now? I think we dug ourselves out of the basement because it isn't easy to stop Kelce and hill at the same time, but I don't think we've really solved anything until we can run the offense without the gimmicks. We have to consistently establish the intermediate field.

We will find out soon enough when we play the chargers.

Wut??

Other than that moronic play to Erving on 3rd and 2, what gimmick plays did we run?

Coogs
12-04-2017, 07:01 PM
I thought it seemed lie a lot of man-on-man match-ups vs the zone that we had been getting a steady diet of the last 5 weeks, but wasn't sure. If it wasn't the zone, then we may be struggling again these next few weeks, no?

Black Bob
12-04-2017, 07:05 PM
Sorry if this has been discussed int other threads. I have not had time to read through all of them to check, but I have been wondering since yesterday. Was our offensive breakout a result of us solving the cover 2? Or did the Jets run something different on defense?

Yes

Coogs
12-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Yes

To which question?

Rain Man
12-04-2017, 07:13 PM
This is a good question. Maybe the Jets ignored what was working against the Chiefs, in which case they deserved to lose. Oh, wait, they didn't. But either way, it would be nice if the Chiefs discovered that passing downfield is a good thing.

FanOfRED
12-04-2017, 07:15 PM
Showing we aren't afraid to throw it deep helps.

Oh, I think Smith was afraid. Especially after that first attempt to Hill where it was horribly under thrown and almost intercepted.

BlackHelicopters
12-04-2017, 07:22 PM
No. We lost. No such thing as a moral victory.

Hammock Parties
12-04-2017, 07:26 PM
No. According to what I heard, the Jets were in Cover 1 most of the afternoon, which means a lot of man coverage.

The Jets are fucking morons.

Coogs
12-04-2017, 07:29 PM
No. We lost. No such thing as a moral victory.

Not exactly what I meant.

Coogs
12-04-2017, 07:36 PM
No. According to what I heard, the Jets were in Cover 1 most of the afternoon, which means a lot of man coverage.

The Jets are ****ing morons.

I thought it looked like man match-ups on most of the big plays. Not sure that the big day yesterday on offense bodes well going forward, but I guess we will see.

MMXcalibur
12-04-2017, 07:50 PM
I don't do a whole of All-22 tape study, but I seem to recall hearing the Jets played man-to-man most of the day.

Why? I have no earthly idea, but I would consider the offense still a work in progress until they prove that they can beat a Cover 2 defense of any kind.

Iconic
12-04-2017, 07:51 PM
Yeah that's the worst part about this game because the offense we saw was a mirage. Jets were attempting to play man to man with no disguises or wrinkles while not having the personal to cover Kelce or Hill. There defense was playing into Smiths strengths. It's not as simple as just running a cover 2 anyways, people are forgetting that it’s about making Smith read the coverage post-snap and the Jets let him read that shit pre-snap all day so the offense looked good and Smith managed to not look like a jumpy little bitch.

chiefzilla1501
12-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Wut??

Other than that moronic play to Erving on 3rd and 2, what gimmick plays did we run?

The game plan early was to force the ball to Kelce. The Jets locked down on Kelce. Chiefs went into funk. Then started exploiting hill. Next defense will figure out how to account for both. Again, difficult task so that will improve our offense. But its not the kind of opening up the offense we are capable of.

It's not like we were getting consistent movement on offense otherwise. All our offense came from exploiting Kelce, then exploiting Hill. And in both cases for plays that left those guys open by a country mile. Those guys are dangerous weapons. But not sure you can rely on a strategy where playcals consistently leave those guys that wide open multiple times. Either defenses will use more zone like we saw in previous games or if they respect our deep pass they might take the defender out of the box, which will open up our running game and short passing game, but probably brings us back to our boring but mildly effective dink and dunk game. I remember an si article mentioning working within smith's limitations. He won't t aggressively throw unless a wr is wide wide open, assuming he sees him. I think this was playcalling that worked within that but I don't think it will work against a D like San Diegos.

Buehler445
12-04-2017, 08:01 PM
No. The Jets just suck. Because the Jets suck.

Chiefs=Champions
12-04-2017, 08:03 PM
The day when utilising matchups is refered to as a 'gimmick,' is here LMAO

displacedinMN
12-04-2017, 08:05 PM
It's easy to solve it's more about execution which we somewhat did

Who are we going to execute?

JakeF
12-04-2017, 08:07 PM
Nagy effect

Only 4 passes behind the line of scrimmage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQPJLOQVAAAOvL7.jpg

ptlyon
12-04-2017, 09:52 PM
Who are we going to execute?

Hopefully Alex Smith

Hammock Parties
12-04-2017, 09:56 PM
Yeah that's the worst part about this game because the offense we saw was a mirage. Jets were attempting to play man to man with no disguises or wrinkles while not having the personal to cover Kelce or Hill.

This is exactly what happened.

The Jets coaching staff are buttfucking morons. Either that or their defensive talent is incapable of playing zone in large amounts. Which is odd since that's exactly what they were doing at the end of the game, and it worked.

Hammock Parties
12-04-2017, 09:58 PM
It's not like we were getting consistent movement on offense otherwise. All our offense came from exploiting Kelce, then exploiting Hill.

Yup. It was like watching a kid playing Madden. There was almost zero intermediate flavor in the passing game, again.

Alex is mostly feast or famine this year in the passing game.

Dartgod
12-04-2017, 10:12 PM
So adjusting your offense to what the defense is doing is now "gimmicky" and "a mirage"?

:spock:

I can't believe what I'm reading here. Actually I can, because some of you are so fucking dug in on the "Alex sucks" agenda, that you can't possibly give him credit when he does have a good game.

Hammock Parties
12-04-2017, 10:15 PM
So adjusting your offense to what the defense is doing is now "gimmicky" and "a mirage"?

:spock:

I can't believe what I'm reading here. Actually I can, because some of you are so fucking dug in on the "Alex sucks" agenda, that you can't possibly give him credit when he does have a good game.

We didn't adjust our offense.

The Jets literally chose not to run the coverages that Alex struggles with...until the end of the game.

So not surprisingly, facing all that man coverage with players who are elite at beating it, he flourished...until the end of the game.

We'll see if the Raiders are dumb enough to follow suit.

pugsnotdrugs19
12-04-2017, 10:23 PM
We'll see if the Raiders are dumb enough to follow suit.

As if you don't already know the answer to that.

Hammock Parties
12-04-2017, 10:26 PM
As if you don't already know the answer to that.

Alex has owned the Raiders during his time here.

I fully expect the Chiefs to win and give the homers another cocktease.

Dartgod
12-04-2017, 10:48 PM
We didn't adjust our offense.

The Jets literally chose not to run the coverages that Alex struggles with...until the end of the game.

So not surprisingly, facing all that man coverage with players who are elite at beating it, he flourished...until the end of the game.

We'll see if the Raiders are dumb enough to follow suit.So when we don't play well against shitty defenses, it's all on Alex.

But when Alex carves up a different shitty offense, it's a mirage or gimmicky.

Gotcha.

Clown...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

arrwheader
12-04-2017, 10:53 PM
Nope but it will be the Pats or the Steelers in the Super Bowl, same as it ever was so who gives a fuck!

Hammock Parties
12-04-2017, 11:02 PM
So when we don't play well against shitty defenses, it's all on Alex.

Gotcha.

Clown...

Don't twist my words. I said neither of those things.

If defenses aren't going to run Alex's kryptonite - which it is - he's probably going to beat them. We have too much talent on offense for that not to happen.

The Jets were pretty dumb and set it up perfectly for Alex to do what he can do.

Until it counted. LMAO

Chief Northman
12-04-2017, 11:08 PM

I fully expect the Chiefs to win and give the homers another cocktease.

Nope. Chiefs are DONE. They will bend over and take it from he Gaiders and the officials. I don’t think they win another game.

Hammock Parties
12-04-2017, 11:19 PM
Nope. Chiefs are DONE. They will bend over and take it from he Gaiders and the officials. I don’t think they win another game.

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/mr-burns-feat-uproxx.jpg?quality=100

chiefzilla1501
12-04-2017, 11:36 PM
So when we don't play well against shitty defenses, it's all on Alex.

Gotcha.

Clown...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I don't know. It was a very good performance by Alex Smith. He certainly didn't lose us the game. I think the more aggressive approach will improve the offense but I'm not sold on how we did it. The defensive approach seemed strange. They didn't even try to account for Kelce in zone. And then who knows what made them decide to run man coverage with no safety help against Hill multiple times. Gimmick is the wrong word, but it felt to me our offense was built around forcing it to a specific receiving option.

I'm just not convinced this is sustainable against even a mediocre defense that's better schemed.

T-post Tom
12-04-2017, 11:57 PM
We started the game forcing looks to kelce and the Jets Alex Smith reacted by shutting him down in the second half.

FYP

farmerchief
12-05-2017, 06:07 AM

Yeah, but can he play cornerback?

PAChiefsGuy
12-05-2017, 06:40 AM
Yes we did.. It was painfully obvious during the Jets game that Cover 2 won't work against us anymore at least not consistently...

Coogs
12-05-2017, 06:42 AM
Yes we did.. It was painfully obvious during the Jets game that Cover 2 won't work against us anymore at least not consistently...

So they were running zone the whole game? Others have said different.

'Hamas' Jenkins
12-05-2017, 07:02 AM
Does anyone even listen to the goddamned broadcast? They said, time and time again, that the Jets were running Cover 1, which is a man defense with a single high safety.

Molitoth
12-05-2017, 07:09 AM

You are worse than Tiger. Hands down the shittiest poster on this entire forum.

Aids, Antifreeze, etc. Worthless fucking turd.

It's going to be nice when Alex is gone, and he takes you with him.

Hammock Parties
12-05-2017, 07:13 AM

Except the JETS WEREN'T RUNNING COVER 2 MORON

PAChiefsGuy
12-05-2017, 07:19 AM
You are worse than Tiger. Hands down the shittiest poster on this entire forum.

Aids, Antifreeze, etc. Worthless ****ing turd.

It's going to be nice when Alex is gone, and he takes you with him.

F**k you too b**ch.. Not my fault you're an idiot who thought Alex Smith, the QB who has 2nd highest QB Rating in the NFL, was the problem with this team.

Moron..

Except the JETS WEREN'T RUNNING COVER 2 MORON

I thought they were the first drive... I'll have to watch the tape..

If that is the case then my fault guys! no we did not figure out Cover 2! My bad...

See unlike you Clay WHEN I MAKE A MISTAKE I ADMIT IT! Balding womanizing b**ch.

chiefzilla1501
12-05-2017, 07:29 AM
F**k you too b**ch.. Not my fault you're an idiot who thought Alex Smith, the QB who has 2nd highest QB Rating in the NFL, was the problem with this team.

Moron..

I thought they were the first drive... I'll have to watch the tape..

If that is the case then my fault guys! no we did not figure out Cover 2! My bad...

See unlike you Clay WHEN I MAKE A MISTAKE I ADMIT IT! Balding womanizing b**ch.

The #2 qb rating in the nfl has nothing to do with Alex Smith not playing well the prior 5 weeks. Seeing as that's the time period people have been critical about. Pretty sure even the biggest of haters had no issue with his play when he was playing out of his mind.

ARROW2
12-05-2017, 07:44 AM
The #2 qb rating in the nfl has nothing to do with Alex Smith not playing well the prior 5 weeks. Seeing as that's the time period people have been critical about. Pretty sure even the biggest of haters had no issue with his play when he was playing out of his mind.

We just knew it wouldn't last. Waste of a year of Mahomes's development and rookie contract. Idiots.

bowener
12-05-2017, 09:10 AM
Nagy effect

Only 4 passes behind the line of scrimmage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DQPJLOQVAAAOvL7.jpg

It did seem like they ran a lot less pointless and terribly set up screenplays.

Coogs
12-05-2017, 06:04 PM
Does anyone even listen to the goddamned broadcast? They said, time and time again, that the Jets were running Cover 1, which is a man defense with a single high safety.
I actually had company, and just had the game on in the background with the volume turned down.

bigjosh
12-05-2017, 06:25 PM
Every big play came against man coverage.

I would say no. Perhaps the Jets dont think they have the personnel to win in cover 2 and rally to the underneath stuff?

The wco is designed on beating man matchups. I honestly don't know why anyone would play something other than cover 2 or 3 against this offense right now.

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk