PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Mellinger: Fixing The Chiefs In Five Steps

siberian khatru
01-18-2018, 02:07 PM
Fixing The Chiefs In Five Steps: a self-help guide for a chronically underachieving franchise (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/sam-mellinger/article195379104.html)

5. Add talent. Pretty basic, right? Sign good players, duh. But this will be Veach’s first real test in the new job. Whether through the draft or free agency, Veach should target, in order: cornerback, edge rush, defensive line, safety, backup quarterback, interior offensive line, middle linebacker and tight end. ...

Chance of adding enough: 60 percent, but this completely depends on your trust in Veach.

4. Cuts and salary-cap management. The Chiefs can potentially save more than $20 million in cap space by cutting Hali ($8 million) and cutting or reworking deals with linebacker Derrick Johnson ($8 million in potential savings) and defensive lineman Allen Bailey ($6 million in potential savings). ...

Chance the Chiefs will clear adequate cap space: 90 percent.

3. Replace Bob Sutton with a more creative and innovative defensive coordinator. The Chiefs ranked 28th in total defense, and dead last in Football Outsiders’ DVOA metric, this season. This is unacceptable.

They could not develop even an average pass rush despite getting a full season from Houston and having enough talent along the defensive line. You saw this with the naked eye, but the data is even more damning: according to Pro Football Focus, the Chiefs were 27th or worse in sack percentage, quarterback pressure percentage and time required to create pressure. ...

Sutton was conservative to the point of counter-production: no team ran fewer stunts on pass plays, and the Chiefs tied for the fifth-lowest blitz rate, according to PFF. ...

Chance of this actually happening — of Sutton being replaced: 40 percent.

2. Trade Alex Smith. This should be the second-easiest roster decision of the offseason (after cutting Hali), and the most important: without it, the Chiefs are stuck, or worse. ...

Chance of Smith being traded: 95 percent.

1. Andy Reid needs to evolve. Some of this is tied into whether Sutton indeed keeps his job, because Reid is famously loyal to his assistants. But this goes beyond tough decisions on assistants.

This is going to require Reid to get uncomfortable. ...

Chance of significantly happening: 50 percent, a tug of war between Reid’s stubborness and self-awareness.

raybec 4
01-18-2018, 02:10 PM
Every media outlet is calling for Sutton's job. Andy will not relent.

banecat
01-18-2018, 02:11 PM
Yes to 5 through 2. But Reid will second guess his decisions to the point of making bad ones. He needs to run everything, but hand calling the plays to someone that he trusts to do so

Sassy Squatch
01-18-2018, 02:11 PM
He's peanuts compared to Alex Smith. I can stomach another season of Bob Sutton as DC, but it would be pretty fucking hard to give a damn if Smith is back as the starter.

threebag
01-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Status Quo on Arrowhead Drive

ptlyon
01-18-2018, 02:12 PM
Cliff notes:

FIRE BOB SUTTON!
GET RID OF SMITH!
GET YOUR HEAD OUT OF YOUR ASS ANDY!

Sassy Squatch
01-18-2018, 02:13 PM
Cliff notes:

FIRE BOB SUTTON!
GET RID OF SMITH!
Don't forget the salary cap maneuvering.

ptlyon
01-18-2018, 02:17 PM
Don't forget the salary cap maneuvering.

And rape on defense

Beef Supreme
01-18-2018, 02:27 PM
He missed a couple of steps

??????
Profit

RunKC
01-18-2018, 02:33 PM
Not all of this can be put on Sutton. When Ford got hurt we had nobody but Houston and Jones.

When you have no choice but to trot Frank ****ing Zombo out there, what do you expect?

ModSocks
01-18-2018, 02:48 PM
Pffff. Bunch of words for nothin'.

I can fix the Chiefs in one simple step: Start Mahomes.

Eleazar
01-18-2018, 02:53 PM
1. Fire Reid and his entire staff
2. Trade Smith
3. Start Mahomes

There, I did it in three.

The Franchise
01-18-2018, 02:54 PM
1. Dump Sutton for Kris Richard from the Seahawks.
2. Trade Alex Smith.
3. Cut DJ and Hali.
4. Sign Rashaan Melvin (CB) and Adam Norwell (LG) in FA.
5. Find a passrusher, CB and S in the draft.
6. Re-sign Fulton and start him at center.
7. Start Mahomes.

Profit.

ChiefsLV
01-18-2018, 02:57 PM
I've been on the Andy bandwagon while many have jumped off already, mostly because I think he's one of the best coaches to get the most out of Mahomes but his decision to keep Sutton, which looks more and more likely, is really challenging my position.

oldman
01-18-2018, 03:02 PM
Is Sam reading CP? I'm not so sure I want to let go of DJ just yet. If he'll rework his deal, I'd be in. Even a 70% DJ is better than some of the other brokedicks we had back there this year. Hali, Smith, and Ford need to go. For what we got out of Ford over the life of his contract, I'm pretty sure we can do without him.

DaneMcCloud
01-18-2018, 03:07 PM
Is Sam reading CP?

Of course he's reading CP.

I'm not so sure I want to let go of DJ just yet. If he'll rework his deal, I'd be in.

He's done.

Even a 70% DJ is better than some of the other brokedicks we had back there this year.

Ragland was, by far, the Chiefs best ILBer and KPL was generally better than DJ

Hali, Smith, and Ford need to go. For what we got out of Ford over the life of his contract, I'm pretty sure we can do without him.

Ford was a bad ass at LOLB in 2016. It's no coincidence that the Chiefs went on a 1-6 slide after he and Conley were injured.

Ford doesn't need to be a superstar, he just needs to be available. His presence on the field makes a difference and the only reason to cut or trade him is because the Chiefs have signed, traded for or drafted a suitable replacement.

Reerun_KC
01-18-2018, 03:09 PM
Is Sam reading CP? I'm not so sure I want to let go of DJ just yet. If he'll rework his deal, I'd be in. Even a 70% DJ is better than some of the other brokedicks we had back there this year. Hali, Smith, and Ford need to go. For what we got out of Ford over the life of his contract, I'm pretty sure we can do without him.

DJ is done. Just say no to DJ.

BlackHelicopters
01-18-2018, 03:19 PM
Step one: cut Hali, DJ, Zombo

hitchief
01-18-2018, 03:25 PM
Of course he's reading CP.

He's done.

Ragland was, by far, the Chiefs best ILBer and KPL was generally better than DJ

Ford was a bad ass at LOLB in 2016. It's no coincidence that the Chiefs went on a 1-6 slide after he and Conley were injured.

Ford doesn't need to be a superstar, he just needs to be available. His presence on the field makes a difference and the only reason to cut or trade him is because the Chiefs have signed, traded for or drafted a suitable replacement.

Yeah, Ford was missed but Sutton would have put him in coverage too.

They were fine without Conley but no so much when they had 3 backups along the interior oline- could not run = could not pass = simple. I like Conley and Robinson but Wilson can go such his alligator arms in and hide from defenders somewhere else and this team would be the better for it for sure.

srvy
01-18-2018, 03:34 PM
I know how to fix The KC Star sports page in one step. Fire Mellinger see how that works smell linger since your into firing people.

DaneMcCloud
01-18-2018, 03:35 PM
They were fine without Conley

No, they were not.

Once Conley was hurt, then Wilson, the offense sucked ass for the better part of 7 games.

Robinson has never been impressive. I'm not sure why anyone likes him or has any hope that he becomes a solid #2 or #3 receiver.

He's a JAG.

RunKC
01-18-2018, 03:37 PM
No, they were not.

Once Conley was hurt, then Wilson, the offense sucked ass for the better part of 7 games.

Robinson has never been impressive. I'm not sure why anyone likes him or has any hope that he becomes a solid #2 or #3 receiver.

He's a JAG.

He’s probably a decent #4 WR if you absolutely need him. I really like Chesson though. I think he could be solid.

arrwheader
01-18-2018, 03:39 PM

:clap:

arrwheader
01-18-2018, 03:40 PM
I've been on the Andy bandwagon while many have jumped off already, mostly because I think he's one of the best coaches to get the most out of Mahomes but his decision to keep Sutton, which looks more and more likely, is really challenging my position.

Same with me.

saphojunkie
01-18-2018, 03:55 PM
I would love to see a team sometime give a rookie QB a ten year, $100M deal. Like... start paying Mahomes 10 per year now so we don't have to go to 5 yr/20 per when he's off his rookie deal.

SAUTO
01-18-2018, 05:38 PM
I would love to see a team sometime give a rookie QB a ten year, $100M deal. Like... start paying Mahomes 10 per year now so we don't have to go to 5 yr/20 per when he's off his rookie deal.

That might be the way to do it if the team could get out of it after 5 with minimal cap hit going forward

REDHOTGTO
01-18-2018, 05:47 PM
Cliff notes:

FIRE BOB SUTTON!
GET RID OF SMITH!

should we put this on the next banner behind the plane ?

TEX
01-18-2018, 05:51 PM
Cliff notes:

FIRE BOB SUTTON!
GET RID OF SMITH!

:clap:

Sassy Squatch
01-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Not all of this can be put on Sutton. When Ford got hurt we had nobody but Houston and Jones.

When you have no choice but to trot Frank ****ing Zombo out there, what do you expect?
Yeah, its not like we drafted a guy in the 2nd round who plays that position that didn't play a single snap in the playoff game or anything.

Reerun_KC
01-18-2018, 06:07 PM

Yes we should.

Mama Hip Rockets
01-18-2018, 06:13 PM

How does that fix the atrocious defense?

Reerun_KC
01-18-2018, 06:16 PM
How does that fix the atrocious defense?

Keeps them off the field ? Allows them to catch their breath?

Just a thought.

Easy 6
01-18-2018, 06:43 PM

Yup, its one of those deals where the more intense the outside pressure... the harder Reid will double and triple down

He wont be having fans and the media telling him what to do, the stubborn prick

Coogs
01-18-2018, 07:40 PM
Personally, I think the defense needs an overhaul. Mahomes is going to need a year to settle in, so this is the perfect time to do it. Move to the 4-3 and take two years to get all the parts you need. I would start in the front 7.

I would put Houston on one end. No more dropping in coverage. He can rush the passer, and is good at setting the edge against the run. Maybe K-pass can set the other end, but that would be my first target in the draft. Another edge end that can rush the passer, and set the edge against the run. Jones and RNR, in the middle with Ragland backing them up in the middle.

Peter's and Berry in the secondary. Fill the remaining spots from the draft or Free agency over the next couple years, and we are set to roll in year two of Mahomes.

mcaj22
01-18-2018, 07:53 PM
Andy Reid evolve?!?!

hahahahhhahahahahahaahhaahahahah after almost two decades of doing the same things hes just going to wake up and say today I am going to change, at 65 years old I am going to try new habits. Yeah... right.

ILChief
01-18-2018, 08:11 PM

Should have flown a fire Sutton banner after that Thursday night turd in Oakland

Mama Hip Rockets
01-18-2018, 08:28 PM
Keeps them off the field ? Allows them to catch their breath?

Just a thought.

They were only on the field an average of 29:05, yet they still were historically bad despite playing quite a few terrible offensive teams. A new QB does not fix all of this team's problems. Not even close.

HemiEd
01-18-2018, 08:33 PM
Mellinger has been bringing it like nobody since Whitlock, but better. Go Mellinger!

Do we need banners again?

NJChiefsFan
01-18-2018, 08:39 PM
Andy Reid evolve?!?!

hahahahhhahahahahahaahhaahahahah after almost two decades of doing the same things hes just going to wake up and say today I am going to change, at 65 years old I am going to try new habits. Yeah... right.

For what it's worth I think Reid actually has gotten slightly better at clock management, although really he was so poor that it wasn't hard.

I say that not really remembering any impressive clock management moments, but I also don't remember too many fails relative to a normal Reid season. That includes in Philly.

Then again, if I include how he handles second half leads, perhaps he didn't improve at all.

Hammock Parties
01-18-2018, 08:41 PM
Mellinger has been bringing it like nobody since Whitlock, but better. Go Mellinger!

Do we need banners again?

Did you forget Babb?

Such savagery may never be seen again from a KC media member.

Whitlock was a clown. Babb was a straight up assassin, and his weapon of choice was ink.

NJChiefsFan
01-18-2018, 08:43 PM
Did you forget Babb?

Whitlock was a clown. Babb was a straight up assassin, and his weapon of choice was ink.

Yeah Whitlock is a contrarian for the sake of being one. Yes it was helpful for the fanbase at times considering how weak the KC sports media is, but I don't consider him a good sports mind. He is a personality.

HemiEd
01-18-2018, 08:44 PM
Did you forget Babb?

Good call, I guess I did forget him. Maybe Mellinger is just getting through to me better than Babb did, no fault of his.

mcaj22
01-18-2018, 11:03 PM
For what it's worth I think Reid actually has gotten slightly better at clock management, although really he was so poor that it wasn't hard.

I say that not really remembering any impressive clock management moments, but I also don't remember too many fails relative to a normal Reid season. That includes in Philly.

Then again, if I include how he handles second half leads, perhaps he didn't improve at all.

how he handles leads and him horizontal passing in the playoffs instead of running will never change.

he is a script/game plan genius but as for game flow once the other team adjusts on him he gets the yips.

TigeRRUppeRRcut
01-18-2018, 11:09 PM
Apparently watching DJ get burned numerous times wasn't enough to show him the path to retirement

Sweet Daddy Hate
01-18-2018, 11:18 PM

The Planet calls the shots in this game. Make no mistake; when these press lackeys want to get the pulse, they head out one-way to this website. I've seen this place create more influence in the daily comings and goings of the KC and national sports press, as well as the organization itself, in the last 5 years than at any other time in franchise history.

Clay's detractors should probably be very afraid; he's been the spearhead that cleaves the heart of incompetence and complacency right the fuck in two for several years now, and his influence is only getting stronger.

:)

TimBone
01-18-2018, 11:32 PM
Yup, its one of those deals where the more intense the outside pressure... the harder Reid will double and triple down

He wont be having fans and the media telling him what to do, the stubborn prickHas he commented at all since the day after the playoff loss? I remember that day he said it was too early to comment or make any decisions.

Hammock Parties
01-18-2018, 11:44 PM
Clay's detractors should probably be very afraid; he's been the spearhead that cleaves the heart of incompetence and complacency right the fuck in two for several years now, and his influence is only getting stronger.

https://uproxx.files.wordpress.com/2014/07/hand.gif?w=650

BossChief
01-18-2018, 11:58 PM
Start Mahomes.

Hope Berry returns at full strength and that his other Achilles holds up (that’s the one that was weak, even before his cancer diagnosis)

Turn Alex Smith into an impact LG, CBor Edge rusher. Trade him and use the pick for a good player at a position of need and use the money to add an impact defender. Preferably a DL that can get pressure on a 3 or 4 man rush. I’d LOVE to make a move for Suh.

Cut Hali and DJ. Love these 2, but they both have to know it’s over. Use the $ on a corner opposite Peters. The defense deserves it. Sign 1 and draft one.

cdcox
01-19-2018, 01:04 AM
Andy won't change. He'd rather fail.

Danguardace
01-19-2018, 05:16 AM
I'm not giving up on Sutton, last 2-3 years his top top 3 or 4 guys on Defense have been broken.

I say at least give him a year with Berry back and decent replacements for Hali and Johnson (or at least that money spent on defensive upgrade).

tyreekthefreak
01-19-2018, 05:47 AM
The thing about draft picks in Kansas City is ........most sit for a year or two before getting any playing time.

It's useless to say draft a CB, ILB, etc...........because they won't play for a couple years.

farmerchief
01-19-2018, 05:59 AM
I'm not giving up on Sutton, last 2-3 years his top top 3 or 4 guys on Defense have been broken.

I say at least give him a year with Berry back and decent replacements for Hali and Johnson (or at least that money spent on defensive upgrade).
EVERY team has injuries to key players, and its what you do with the remaining cast and how you adjust to the injuries, that seems to be the key. IMO, Sutton has done a terrible job making adjustments, especially with in game adjustments. His scheme needs to change or else he needs a top notch NEW assistant to instal some new ideas, those of which Sutton would willingly listen to and accept.

loochy
01-19-2018, 06:18 AM
The thing about draft picks in Kansas City is ........most sit for a year or two before getting any playing time.

It's useless to say draft a CB, ILB, etc...........because they won't play for a couple years.

I know, right? Kareem Hunt and Marcus Peters and Eric Fisher and Eric Berry and Chris Jones and Tyreek Hill and Nunez Roches and DAT and Duvernay Tardif and Travis Kelce amd Dontari Poe and Justin Houston NEVER saw significant game time.

PAChiefsGuy
01-19-2018, 06:31 AM
EVERY team has injuries to key players, and its what you do with the remaining cast and how you adjust to the injuries, that seems to be the key. IMO, Sutton has done a terrible job making adjustments, especially with in game adjustments. His scheme needs to change or else he needs a top notch NEW assistant to instal some new ideas, those of which Sutton would willingly listen to and accept.

That's not true at all. Every team does have injuries to key players but it's usually either the offense or defense that loses a key player. Not necessarily every defense or offense by itself has key injuries. Either way injuries hurt especially on defense where the NFL has done everything in it's power to make it a high scoring league. So losing key defenders hurts a lot.

Sutton or any D-Coordinator for that matter can come up with the greatest scheme in the world but if the players can't execute it it doesn't matter. IMO Our defense, without Berry, the talent simply isn't there for it to be as good as it needs to be

Reerun_KC
01-19-2018, 07:45 AM

Spot on! Well stated! And it seems Berry misses more than he plays

Danguardace
01-19-2018, 08:10 AM

But the Chief have still managed to win games though and get to the play-offs.

Consistently owning Rivers and Carr. I just think people are looking for a scapegoat.

tyton75
01-19-2018, 08:14 AM
I think it would be easier for him to fire Sutton if he was sure the new DC wouldn't fire his son as DL coach.

DRM08
01-19-2018, 08:16 AM
So Terez said it’s not a 99% chance Alex gets traded. Now Mellinger says it is 95% chance. Terez seemed to believe a lot lower than that, maybe 75% or so. Tend to think Mellinger is on the right track. Chiefs have salary cap problems and trading Alex helps straighten out the salary cap troubles.

InChiefsHeaven
01-19-2018, 08:37 AM
I know, right? Kareem Hunt and Marcus Peters and Eric Fisher and Eric Berry and Chris Jones and Tyreek Hill and Nunez Roches and DAT and Duvernay Tardif and Travis Kelce amd Dontari Poe and Justin Houston NEVER saw significant game time.

ROFL:clap:
Just what i was thinking...that was a really dumb post...

oldman
01-19-2018, 08:45 AM
Like several have said, every team seems to lose a stud, so that's really not an excuse. You can't tell me that Berry, great as he is, is the only key to winning a SB. Dropping Houston into coverage as often as Sutton did is just stupid. I can see doing it on occasion, but we're paying him to knock the QB on his butt. The thing that bothers me most is both sides of the ball have a script and if something doesn't go as planned, all is lost. No adjustments are made. Look at the playoff loss after Kelce went down. Crap, league's leading rusher and he gets less than 10 carries? WTF?? That stuff has to end.

ptlyon
01-19-2018, 09:00 AM
I think it would be easier for him to fire Sutton if he was sure the new DC wouldn't fire his son as DL coach.

BAM

tyreekthefreak
01-19-2018, 09:09 AM

Chris Jones didn't start right away, neither did Kelce as he was on IR his first year. Kareem Hunt only started due to Ware's injury. Nunez Roches barely plays now.

So you have 5 draft picks get quality playing time out of, AT LEAST 40 picks in the last 5 years. Really, only number 1 picks start right away here. Your argument blows!

Rausch
01-19-2018, 09:10 AM
What is the point of running an aggressive and attacking defense if you call a conservative game and almost never (blitz) attack?

Easy 6
01-19-2018, 09:31 AM
Has he commented at all since the day after the playoff loss? I remember that day he said it was too early to comment or make any decisions.

He made the statement you refer to and thats been it

My opinion is just based on his time in Philly, he endured relentless pressure over a number of decisions, and I cant recall a time where he changed his tune in any kind of timely manner

Honestly, no head coach ever should make their decisions based on fan sentiment, I understand that... but this thing with Sutton has me as pissed off with Reid as I've ever been

Its hard to believe that Andy hasnt seen enough to pull the trigger here

FloridaMan88
01-19-2018, 09:36 AM
#1 and #3 will never happen because Clark Hunt won't hold Andy Reid accountable for another historic playoff choke job and demand needed changes to his coaching staff.

2 of the 3 non-Chiefs teams that lost on Wild Card weekend have replaced key members of their coaching staffs.

The team that beat the Chiefs in the playoffs has "parted ways" with their HC.

Teams who have won Super Bowls in the recent past have made major changes to their coaching staffs during the past few weeks.

And yet Andy Reid refuses to fire a single coach from his coaching staff and Clark refuses to force Reid to make changes to a coaching staff that has been a part of two historic playoff choke jobs during the past 5 years.

Chiefshrink
01-19-2018, 09:46 AM

Which say's volumes about our lack of real talented impact players and depth because of our crappy drafting. The only impact players I see since Dorsey was Jones,Peters and Hill.

Jones still disappears too much for me - needs to be far more consistent and disciplined in effort. Work ethic needs to improve significantly IMHO.

Peters still an immature hothead. Not holding my breath because he 'divas up' at the worst time and after 3 yrs his attitude is getting worse rather than growing up.

Hill still not utilized to the max on offense - this on Reid.

Reerun_KC
01-19-2018, 09:52 AM
#1 and #3 will never happen because Clark Hunt won't hold Andy Reid accountable for another historic playoff choke job and demand needed changes to his coaching staff.

2 of the 3 non-Chiefs teams that lost on Wild Card weekend have replaced key members of their coaching staffs.

Teams who have won Super Bowls in the recent past have made major changes to their coaching staffs during the past few weeks.

And yet Andy Reid refuses to fire a single coach from his coaching staff and Clark refuses to force Reid to make changes to a coaching staff that has been a part of two historic playoff choke jobs during the past 5 years.

Can’t get any clearer than this.

RunKC
01-19-2018, 09:54 AM

They fired the GM. That was the change.

Chiefshrink
01-19-2018, 10:00 AM
What is the point of running an aggressive and attacking defense if you call a conservative game and almost never (blitz) attack?

I'm no fan of Sutton whatsoever, BUT even he realizes he has very little talent on defense and when Berry went down after the 1st game I imagine you could hear his massive huge sigh of quiet desperation now having to resort to the "bend but don't break" even more so. Even if Berry doesn't go down, Sutton realized his defensive roster changed very little from the year before as everyone gets older and very little evolution in the young talent(a la Ford).

If Kpass is worth his salt he should be starting in 18 but he won't IMHO or if he does I don't think he is that impactful. He should have been flashing as a rookie and he didn't even do that IMHO.

True Impact players make consistent flashes "at the very least" during their rookie year especially on defense. Ford never did, Jones did, Kpass never did. Hill definitely did. Peters definitely did but it comes with a price.:shrug:

Bob Dole
01-19-2018, 10:21 AM

I gave up on Sutton the 10 time I watched him drop Houston into coverage on 3rd and long. In 2016.

KC Dan
01-19-2018, 10:49 AM
I gave up on Sutton the 10 time I watched him drop Houston into coverage on 3rd and long. In 2016.
Wisdom!

Bewbies
01-19-2018, 10:58 AM
When you lose Ford, when you lose Jones, when you have no pass rush whatsoever the clear answer is to drop Houston into coverage.

PAChiefsGuy
01-19-2018, 06:10 PM
I always laugh when idiots on here act like J Houston not rushing the passer and going into coverage is always some huge mistake. Personally I think his pass rushing skills have taken a huge nosedive since his 22-sack season. Why? Idk but he is not the same guy to me.

J Houston has not been a consistently great pass rusher since his 22-sack season. He shows flashes here and there but that is about it. He was frequently blocked one-on-one this season and taken out of the play. If he did get a sack or some pressures he was simply chipped since we don't have another great pass rusher it is easy for other teams to do this.

Face it guys. Without another great edge rusher J Houston can be taken out of pass rushing situations easily by chipping him. Sending him into coverage isn't as big of a deal as people on here make it seem. I know in Madden always rushing J Houston is the smart thing to do but Sutton lives in the real world.

Mecca
01-19-2018, 06:26 PM
Which say's volumes about our lack of real talented impact players and depth because of our crappy drafting. The only impact players I see since Dorsey was Jones,Peters and Hill.

Jones still disappears too much for me - needs to be far more consistent and disciplined in effort. Work ethic needs to improve significantly IMHO.

Peters still an immature hothead. Not holding my breath because he 'divas up' at the worst time and after 3 yrs his attitude is getting worse rather than growing up.

Hill still not utilized to the max on offense - this on Reid.

Let's get real here, no teams hit on every pick. In a 5 year span the Chiefs completely redid the roster with mostly draft picks.

Most teams would sell their nuts to get guys like Hill and Hunt in back to back years.

RaidersOftheCellar
01-19-2018, 09:30 PM
Right, geniuses...lets fire the coach who wins a bunch of games with a QB that everyone perceives as garbage + an O-line and D-line that get physically dominated by nearly every team they face.

Todd Haley or Herm would have won half as many games as Reid has with this group. Crenell a quarter. And guess what, odds are a lot greater that the replacement would be a lot closer to them than Bill Belichick.

Can't believe you fools want to show Reid the exit when he's about to install the best QB he's ever had. A guy who took less talent to several NFC championships and has posted a winning record in all but a couple seasons.

Or, I guess we could just make a knee-jerk reaction and fire his ass because a bunch of flukey shit happened vs the Colts and Titans.

T-post Tom
01-19-2018, 10:43 PM
For what we got out of Ford over the life of his contract, I'm pretty sure we can do without him.

Don't undersell the entertainment value. :)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/AqFaLhh2Wlo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_akwHYMdbsM?rel=0&amp;showinfo=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ThaVirus
01-19-2018, 10:55 PM
I always laugh when idiots on here act like J Houston not rushing the passer and going into coverage is always some huge mistake. Personally I think his pass rushing skills have taken a huge nosedive since his 22-sack season. Why? Idk but he is not the same guy to me.

J Houston has not been a consistently great pass rusher since his 22-sack season. He shows flashes here and there but that is about it. He was frequently blocked one-on-one this season and taken out of the play. If he did get a sack or some pressures he was simply chipped since we don't have another great pass rusher it is easy for other teams to do this.

Face it guys. Without another great edge rusher J Houston can be taken out of pass rushing situations easily by chipping him. Sending him into coverage isn't as big of a deal as people on here make it seem. I know in Madden always rushing J Houston is the smart thing to do but Sutton lives in the real world.

This is true about literally any pass rusher. Khalil Mack, Von Miller. Hell, you guys remember the run around we gave JJ Watt in that playoff spanking in 2015? We legit neautralized that dude in his prime.

That's why we need Chris Jones, Dee Ford or someone else to step up. You have two or three guys who can consistently collapse the pocket and the QB will be a lot more uneasy back there. Check the games this season in which Jones went off- Houston was a fucking nightmare.

milkman
01-20-2018, 12:15 PM
Right, geniuses...lets fire the coach who wins a bunch of games with a QB that everyone perceives as garbage + an O-line and D-line that get physically dominated by nearly every team they face.

Todd Haley or Herm would have won half as many games as Reid has with this group. Crenell a quarter. And guess what, odds are a lot greater that the replacement would be a lot closer to them than Bill Belichick.

Can't believe you fools want to show Reid the exit when he's about to install the best QB he's ever had. A guy who took less talent to several NFC championships and has posted a winning record in all but a couple seasons.

Or, I guess we could just make a knee-jerk reaction and fire his ass because a bunch of flukey shit happened vs the Colts and Titans.

The Eagles did not have less talent than these Chiefs, dumbass.

TEX
01-20-2018, 01:21 PM

I think you're on to something here. I think this is a completely different defense with the threat of pressure coming opposite J.H. Different still with Eric Berry.... Without pressure, it's not as crazy as it appears to send J.H. out in coverage. Having said that, I still want Sutton gone. Time to see what a new DC can do.

Raiderhater
01-20-2018, 06:44 PM

How do you not realize that it is difficult to be a consistently good pass rusher when you aren't pass rushing because you are in pass coverage?

pugsnotdrugs19
01-20-2018, 07:02 PM
Houston was actually more dominant on a down-to-down basis with his pass rush in 2015 pre-injury, he just wasn't racking up as many sacks... go back and watch that and tell me otherwise.

His injury probably set him back, and he is horribly misused. Would also greatly benefit to have help from the other side, as Zombo was the worst edge rusher in football.

morphius
01-31-2018, 08:26 AM
Houston was actually more dominant on a down-to-down basis with his pass rush in 2015 pre-injury, he just wasn't racking up as many sacks... go back and watch that and tell me otherwise.

His injury probably set him back, and he is horribly misused. Would also greatly benefit to have help from the other side, as Zombo was the worst edge rusher in football.
It is hard to say he was misused by dropping him back in coverage when we couldn't even beat backup right tackles one on one.