PDA

View Full Version : Life Intermittent Fasting

Pages : 1 [2]

eDave
11-11-2019, 10:33 PM
You need to change your username. You are no slag.

IowaHawkeyeChief
11-11-2019, 10:36 PM
Been on Carnivore with defacto IF since Aug 2018
Here are a few before / after pics.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49052538651_b1256ce6d1_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49015358913_a39a6a27ae_b.jpg

Great job!

The Franchise
11-11-2019, 11:18 PM
Damn man. You’re killing it.

The Franchise
11-11-2019, 11:20 PM
Are you doing 16:8, 18:6 or OMAD?

SLAG
11-11-2019, 11:36 PM
Are you doing 16:8, 18:6 or OMAD?

Its usually anywhere between 12-16

I don't stick to it hard - I am more strict on eating Zero Carb.

Some days i've hit 24h+ fasting - some days I'm eating after 8h

If I'm hungry I eat lol

Thanks homies!

Titty Meat
11-11-2019, 11:38 PM

Good shit man!

The Franchise
11-12-2019, 12:52 AM
Its usually anywhere between 12-16

I don't stick to it hard - I am more strict on eating Zero Carb.

Some days i've hit 24h+ fasting - some days I'm eating after 8h

If I'm hungry I eat lol

Thanks homies!

Any exercise or all diet?

SLAG
11-12-2019, 01:01 AM
Any exercise or all diet?
All Diet

I do pushups when I think about it usually 10-15

I took my bike around the block like 2-3x total

I have lots of energy but with all my kids and working 2 jobs its tough

lewdog
11-12-2019, 07:18 AM
Great stuff.

Consistency is the key to weight loss. Whatever that plan may be. Good job.

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-12-2019, 07:54 AM
Anybody doing Intermittent Drinking?

InChiefsHeaven
11-12-2019, 08:05 AM
I'm watching calories and doing 3 times a week at Orange Theory. OT is great, but you can't outwork a bad diet, and I have a pretty bad diet. So I started with MyFitnessPal two weeks ago, been drinking a ton of water and getting my workouts in. I'm amazed at how quickly things are changing. The key is to stick with it. I was down to 180 about 6 years ago but I've climbed to 215 and I've been there for awhile. I'm stronger and have a lot more muscle mass thanks to the OT workouts, but I'm carrying about 54 lbs of fat. Need to get that down to about 30, so I got some work to do.

Down to 207, so that's like 4 pounds a week. I'm sure it'll slow down from here, which is why I need to be in it for the long haul.

Aspengc8
11-12-2019, 08:51 AM
I'm watching calories and doing 3 times a week at Orange Theory. OT is great, but you can't outwork a bad diet, and I have a pretty bad diet. So I started with MyFitnessPal two weeks ago, been drinking a ton of water and getting my workouts in. I'm amazed at how quickly things are changing. The key is to stick with it. I was down to 180 about 6 years ago but I've climbed to 215 and I've been there for awhile. I'm stronger and have a lot more muscle mass thanks to the OT workouts, but I'm carrying about 54 lbs of fat. Need to get that down to about 30, so I got some work to do.

Down to 207, so that's like 4 pounds a week. I'm sure it'll slow down from here, which is why I need to be in it for the long haul.

You will be surprised on the progress you can make by just making smart food decisions (not eating like a teenager when your 40) and being consistent with diet, training and recovery. No need to ever track calories/macros IMHO unless your planning on stepping on stage.

Simply Red
07-21-2023, 12:27 AM
I'm going to do this bitch for the first time, starting in about 5 hours! LFG!

Wisconsin_Chief
07-21-2023, 05:20 AM
I don’t want to be *that guy* but if you have weight problems, blood sugar or blood pressure issues, and any sort of autoimmune problems and haven’t tried intermittent fasting along with a carnivore or keto diet, you are missing out. I started around 4 years ago, I do 18/6 dirty keto only 4-5 days a week. Still splurge on weekends, dropped 50 pounds and my A1C, blood sugar and blood pressure are all totally under control with no meds.

The shit works.

Rausch
07-21-2023, 06:10 AM
I don’t want to be *that guy* but if you have weight problems, blood sugar or blood pressure issues, and any sort of autoimmune problems and haven’t tried intermittent fasting along with a carnivore or keto diet, you are missing out. I started around 4 years ago, I do 18/6 dirty keto only 4-5 days a week. Still splurge on weekends, dropped 50 pounds and my A1C, blood sugar and blood pressure are all totally under control with no meds.

The shit works.

I've been doing it about 2 years now. Quit aspertame (diet soda) and do intermittent fasting. Most days I don't eat at all until 6-7 pm and then try to eat as low carb as possible. I lost about 35 lbs. This is all without any change in my level of exercise. I know, I need to get on that.

Every now and again if I feel stomach upset or just oddly hungry I'll eat 2-3 protein bars with no sugar. I really like the Quest protein bars myself. They've got about 8-10 flavors and they're all pretty good.

I don't lack energy (when I do that's more to insomnia) and you adjust to the eating schedule pretty quickly. The first month to 6 weeks there were days I was forcing myself but now it's actually odd for me to feel hungry before 2 or 3 pm. And my stomach has clearly shrunk as a result. I now eat about 1/3rd of what I use to even when I let myself go and eat pizza or lasagna or something.

My insulin resistance must be really low at this point because when I do eat a high carb meal I'm dead tired like I took 2 or 3 sleep aids or something. Actually waiting to eat and eating about 2 hours before bed has helped me sleep more than any of the drugs I'm taking. So, if yer' an insomniac like me that can't sleep for shit I would definitely recommend it. Just getting 2 or 3 days a week of solid sleep changes everything for the positive. I can't believe how much better I feel.

I've also been taking desiccated bovine thyroid but you want to have a talk with your doctor before doing that.

Wallymo
07-21-2023, 07:29 AM
Eighteen months ago I hit 308 pounds (I am 5'10"). I hadn't checked the scales in months, and had lived in the 270s for the previous decade. When I saw that number I freaked out and started intermittent fasting the next day.

I eat every day between noon and 8:00 p.m. My intention is 2000 calories or less each day, though I sometimes go over. While the intermittent fasting may be helping, I think a bigger factor is just not eating after 8:00. I was a constant late-night snacker and beer drinker.

Yesterday I weighed 218. I didn't lose the weight quickly, but it's been steady. I'm still losing and don't know where it will eventually bottom out. But the fasting calendar has definitely worked for me. I don't think about carbs or sugars or excercise much. I just stick to 2000 calories or less. I try not to think of it as a diet and just the way my life is now that I'm in my fifties. While I admit that vanity plays a small part, my much larger goal is to be alive when my kids start having my grandkids in the next ten years or so.

I was a morbidly obese smoker five years ago. I'm now an obese vaper. But I'm moving in the right direction! If I can do it, anyone can.

Bearcat
07-21-2023, 07:42 AM
Eighteen months ago I hit 308 pounds (I am 5'10"). I hadn't checked the scales in months, and had lived in the 270s for the previous decade. When I saw that number I freaked out and started intermittent fasting the next day.

I eat every day between noon and 8:00 p.m. My intention is 2000 calories or less each day, though I sometimes go over. While the intermittent fasting may be helping, I think a bigger factor is just not eating after 8:00. I was a constant late-night snacker and beer drinker.

Yesterday I weighed 218. I didn't lose the weight quickly, but it's been steady. I'm still losing and don't know where it will eventually bottom out. But the fasting calendar has definitely worked for me. I don't think about carbs or sugars or excercise much. I just stick to 2000 calories or less. I try not to think of it as a diet and just the way my life is now that I'm in my fifties. While I admit that vanity plays a small part, my much larger goal is to be alive when my kids start having my grandkids in the next ten years or so.

I was a morbidly obese smoker five years ago. I'm now an obese vaper. But I'm moving in the right direction! If I can do it, anyone can.

That's awesome, congrats on such great progress!

The bolded is probably the biggest factor in my general health and exercise... moving away from the p90x mentality of quick fixes or doing keto for a bit until I really started to miss beer... and thinking of it as something I need to do for the rest of my life. A missed day used to become "well, it's not a good week for this...", where as now I don't stress over it. And that mentality has helped with consistency as I'm not constantly looking for excuses (the first 30 seconds of waking up for a workout is still tough most mornings).

I've also been motivated by making it to retirement (granted, still a ways off for me), as I've seen family member's health decline just as they're getting to that point of their lives.

Keep on the steady lifelong routines. :thumb:

Wallymo
07-21-2023, 07:52 AM
A missed day used to become "well, it's not a good week for this...", where as now I don't stress over it.

This was me in a nutshell too. Constant self-sabatoge. If I messed up, I made it much much worse because that day didn't matter anymore.

Now, I think of it only as a bad meal period. You can have those if you go back to your regular practice after that period ends.

Simply Red
07-21-2023, 09:13 AM
These are great updates - Thanks for sharing, I've been in the dark on this for a while. The information was out there, I have been putting it off. Good to know it has some great benefits.

Thanks again for sharing. I won't eat until 7AM tomorrow. Do you think a half an toasted wheat egg sandwich is okay to come back off of fasting with?

Simply Red
07-21-2023, 09:15 AM
oh I did have about 14-16 ounces of coffee with half and half, no sugar. I know that's not ideal but I don't think it'll matter TOO terribly much for a simple 24 hour job'er.

Eureka
07-21-2023, 09:29 AM
Right now I'm on day 5 of my 10 day water only fast. I do this every year to clear out/reset my system.

This year I started doing the 6/18 and it helped a bit. I got up to 230lbs and I should be at 200 or less. Since starting the 6/18 early this year I got down to 217 and then started my fast.

A big thing with all of this is just finding something that works for you. Check out this short video and how his diet works for him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yXDRr9wz57g" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Eureka
07-21-2023, 09:32 AM
These are great updates - Thanks for sharing, I've been in the dark on this for a while. The information was out there, I have been putting it off. Good to know it has some great benefits.

Thanks again for sharing. I won't eat until 7AM tomorrow. Do you think a half an toasted wheat egg sandwich is okay to come back off of fasting with?

oh I did have about 14-16 ounces of coffee with half and half, no sugar. I know that's not ideal but I don't think it'll matter TOO terribly much for a simple 24 hour job'er.

IF it's just a 24 hour fast then toast and egg is fine. Heck even a 3 day fast it would be fine (my experience).

Coffee alone won't break your fast but adding cream will break it somewhat. Not really a biggie if it's just a little cream.

Simply Red
07-21-2023, 09:57 AM
IF it's just a 24 hour fast then toast and egg is fine. Heck even a 3 day fast it would be fine (my experience).

Coffee alone won't break your fast but adding cream will break it somewhat. Not really a biggie if it's just a little cream.

I am going 30 hours - just because of my launch time was really early this AM. So I think it's technically 29 hours if i start back at 7am'ish tomorrow. So this is fine. Good info thanks you guys.

Wisconsin_Chief
07-21-2023, 09:58 AM
I break my fast with my biggest meal of the day after working out fasted, that seems to be the best routine for me. Most experts say that's not ideal but it really works for me. My brain super feels sharp, my mood is fantastic and I have a ton of energy for the day with no caffeine. I work out for about 1.5 hours and then have 4 eggs with 4 OZ shredded steak and about 1/2 cup of cheddar. A little prosciutto as well on the side.

For lunch it's usually tuna or chicken, an avocado, some nuts and a skyr yogurt. A few small snacks here and there, usually around 1800 cals, 100 grams of healthy fat and 150 grams of protein. Body feels better than ever, I'm in better shape than I was in my 20s.

Simply Red
07-21-2023, 10:09 AM
I break my fast with my biggest meal of the day after working out fasted, that seems to be the best routine for me. Most experts say that's not ideal but it really works for me. My brain super feels sharp, my mood is fantastic and I have a ton of energy for the day with no caffeine. I work out for about 1.5 hours and then have 4 eggs with 4 OZ shredded steak and about 1/2 cup of cheddar. A little prosciutto as well on the side.

For lunch it's usually tuna or chicken, an avocado, some nuts and a skyr yogurt. A few small snacks here and there, usually around 1800 cals, 100 grams of healthy fat and 150 grams of protein. Body feels better than ever, I'm in better shape than I was in my 20s.

How long are you fasting at a time? Also, seems so weird but an ad I saw the other day claimed Avocado toast isn't good for you, I thought that was strange.

Wisconsin_Chief
07-21-2023, 10:12 AM
How long are you fasting at a time? Also, seems so weird but an ad I saw the other day claimed Avocado toast isn't good for you, I thought that was strange.

I fast 18 hours most days, and will occasionally throw in a 24 hour day like you are doing.

Avocados are pretty universally recognized as very healthy, except by those who still think all fats are bad for you. They are incredibly high in fat, so if that's something you consider unhealthy then you might want to stay away from them.

Simply Red
07-21-2023, 10:19 AM
I fast 18 hours most days, and will occasionally throw in a 24 hour day like you are doing.

Avocados are pretty universally recognized as very healthy, except by those who still think all fats are bad for you. They are incredibly high in fat, so if that's something you consider unhealthy then you might want to stay away from them.

yeah knew that - but It's the good fat (or so I hear.) I'm doing this for basic health, I'm a 34 inch waist still - I've been as big as a 37 (38 were slightly loose) or so a few years ago. Just looking to do this to help sleep better and basic 'overall' health. Thanks for the help!

Simply Red
07-21-2023, 04:42 PM
i'm going into my 17th hour - this is easy so far.

KCJake
07-21-2023, 04:50 PM
Stop this intermittent fasting, KETO, No Bread, only bread. Whatever fad diet you're trying this week. Listen, Burn more calories than you consume in a day. PERIOD. You'll lose weight, I promise.

Simply Red
07-21-2023, 04:57 PM
Stop this intermittent fasting, KETO, No Bread, only bread. Whatever fad diet you're trying this week. Listen, Burn more calories than you consume in a day. PERIOD. You'll lose weight, I promise.

Not sure if you're directing this at me, but I'm doing this for other reasons. Thankfully my weight is good RN.

Simply Red
07-21-2023, 06:14 PM
think I'll do a mediocre bowl of oatmeal as I come off.

Simply Red
07-21-2023, 06:35 PM
great

ChiefChoop
07-21-2023, 06:40 PM
good luck and have fun

Simply Red
07-21-2023, 06:50 PM
good luck and have fun

TYVM!!

Simply Red
07-21-2023, 07:33 PM
I can't WAIT!!! ...to taste my toothpaste here in a few hours, when I brush my teeth.

Eureka
07-21-2023, 07:36 PM
i'm going into my 17th hour - this is easy so far.

I'm on hour 118 of my water only fast. You can do this!

think I'll do a mediocre bowl of oatmeal as I come off.

I may suggest some 2% plain yogurt (sugar free) with some type of fruit. That has good gut bacteria. Oatmeal seem simple enough as well though.

ThaVirus
07-21-2023, 08:27 PM

You do that by restricting calories, dude.

Simply Red
07-22-2023, 05:56 AM
7 hours left. This isn't too bad. Just going to hate this black coffee, I don't mind the no sugar as I don't ever put sugar in my coffee but cream is a must - oh well.

Redbled
07-22-2023, 09:33 AM

I’m curious how old you are?

scho63
07-22-2023, 10:26 AM
Reminder: to lose a single pound you need to create a 3,500 calorie deficit.

When I lost my 90 pounds in 2017-2018 over an 7 month period, I was vigilant in keeping track of every calorie I consumed and burned.

I started with how many pounds I wanted to lose, 100.

I took that number 100, then multiplied it by 3500, equaling a 350,000 calorie deficit I needed to achieve my goal.

Next was to calculate my daily Base Metabolic Rate, calculators online, to know what I burned each day with my normal activity level. I think it was around 2600 calories to start. Your daily BMR decreases as you lose weight.

Then I took the calories burned at the gym from the 1hr elliptical, the 30 minutes of lifting and 10-15 minutes of stretching. It was about 800-1200 per session.

Next was to realistic calculate how few calories I could take in to support my exercise routine and life. It was 750-1000 intake.

Then I took my daily burned and base metabolic which was around 3000-3250.

Subtracting the intake from the burn left me an average of -2500 NEGATIVE calories

Then took 350000 total / 2500 meant it would take me 140 days to lose the weight and reach my goal.

I lost 90 over 210 days since I did not work out everyday. 4-5 days a week and also I allowed myself 2 calorie cheat days a month where I ate whatever I wanted.

This is what worked for me.

Now I've been doing water fast only to get back down to a weight that allows me to workout again and have energy.

I've lost 65-70 pounds since Dec 4th and got clearance from my Orthopedic surgeon that I can now workout again after May's elbow surgery.

Simply Red
07-30-2023, 02:54 PM
eating again at 5pm tomorrow - only doing like 32ish hours this go

Simply Red
07-30-2023, 04:00 PM
Been looking forward to this! About to drink some hot water and play like it's coffee.

Eureka
07-30-2023, 08:02 PM
Been looking forward to this! About to drink some hot water and play like it's coffee.

That's the spirit.

Sparkling water
Ice water
Hot water
Tap water
Distilled water
Mineral water
Spring water

Really you have lots of choice when deciding what you want for dinner.

Side Note: Finished my 10 day water only fast last Wednesday and I feel great afterwards. Not only do I feel great physically but also emotionally and spiritually. I ended up losing 19lbs but gained 10lbs back after eating for a few days. I have lots of energy and simple foods taste fantastic. Good on you simply Red for tackling fasting in your own way.

Simply Red
07-31-2023, 03:39 AM
That's the spirit.

Sparkling water
Ice water
Hot water
Tap water
Distilled water
Mineral water
Spring water

Really you have lots of choice when deciding what you want for dinner.

Side Note: Finished my 10 day water only fast last Wednesday and I feel great afterwards. Not only do I feel great physically but also emotionally and spiritually. I ended up losing 19lbs but gained 10lbs back after eating for a few days. I have lots of energy and simple foods taste fantastic. Good on you simply Red for tackling fasting in your own way.

Not sure I could do a 10-dayer - wow, congrats!

Simply Red
07-31-2023, 03:42 AM

SLAG I know I'm super late in saying just how proud I am of you! Congrats!

Simply Red
08-03-2023, 12:22 PM
about two hrs for my first 40 hour - previous high was 36hrs. I did have a BM that was about double normal content and feel much better. I'm going soft to relapse on the eating thing here in about 1hr 45mins or so. Thanks for the support. This is going to be a regular thing I'm doing every 6 weeks or so.

Wisconsin_Chief
08-03-2023, 12:48 PM

It’s not really just about losing weight, occasional fasting is extremely good for your health. Since I’ve been intermittent fasting 5 days a week, my energy levels are through the roof. I literally never get tired now except for when I eat crap.

Same goes for laying off and bread and eating keto or low carb. Not everyone needs to do that, but if you’re a type 2 diabetic you can literally reverse the disease doing so. I know because I did it.

Simply Red
08-03-2023, 03:49 PM
It’s not really just about losing weight, occasional fasting is extremely good for your health. Since I’ve been intermittent fasting 5 days a week, my energy levels are through the roof. I literally never get tired now except for when I eat crap.

Same goes for laying off and bread and eating keto or low carb. Not everyone needs to do that, but if you’re a type 2 diabetic you can literally reverse the disease doing so. I know because I did it.

Well in his defense it is Jake, generally he will struggle with most things more complex than that of the alphabet song.

BWillie
08-03-2023, 03:58 PM

Eat less, move around a little. It's like magic.

Unless I'm on a vacation, I probably haven't went more than 5 hours without food since Desert Storm. I am also not in great shape anymore but it isn't due to weight, just not weight training anymore. I couldn't imagine fasting. I feel awful if I haven't eaten in a while and very cranky.

Simply Red
08-03-2023, 04:30 PM
Eat less, move around a little. It's like magic.

Unless I'm on a vacation, I probably haven't went more than 5 hours without food since Desert Storm. I am also not in great shape anymore but it isn't due to weight, just not weight training anymore. I couldn't imagine fasting. I feel awful if I haven't eaten in a while and very cranky.

dude I'm still not doing this for weight loss.

Simply Red
08-03-2023, 04:31 PM
I'm 6' 1" and back at 33 inch waist, weighing in around 198 boi's!

KCUnited
08-03-2023, 04:33 PM
Just popping in to say that I enjoy hint water (https://www.drinkhint.com/) if I can find them on sale

Simply Red
08-03-2023, 04:37 PM
Just popping in to say that I enjoy hint water (https://www.drinkhint.com/) if I can find them on sale

Heard that, while fasting or both while fasting and recreationally?

KCUnited
08-03-2023, 04:41 PM
Heard that, while fasting or both while fasting and recreationally?

Both really. I drink a lot of water no matter what so I like to mix it up with MiO squirts, Sparkling Ice (a little more dank), canned sparkling waters, Propel, and have recently added hint into the rotation

Just to change things up from regular filtered water that I drink so it feels like I'm drinking something a little more special towards the end of my day