PDA

View Full Version : Life Intermittent Fasting

Pages : [1] 2

MrGiggity
02-04-2018, 04:04 AM
Anyone have any experience doing this? I plan to start on Monday.

I have researched it quite a bit and am willing to give it a try. I will probably do the 16:8 plan. Sixteen hours fasting, eight hour window to eat. My plan, and it will probably change, is to eat two meals totaling around 1600 calories between 11 AM-7PM. I plan on drinking a shit ton of water to help and possible supplement an occasional caffeine pill in the morning.

eDave
02-04-2018, 04:15 AM
I don't eat on Thursdays. All I do is drink beer. Then I just piss that out of my ass. So I get a poor mans colostomy to boot.

A clean colon is a happy colon.

lewdog
02-04-2018, 04:55 AM
I’ve eaten this way for years now. My feeding window is noon to 8 pm. I workout mid afternoon after consuming a small 200-300 calorie “meal” to break my fast at noon.

NewChief
02-04-2018, 07:01 AM
Tons of people on this board do it. Used to be a frequent topic on the workout thread.

People used to think we were nuts for doing it 5 years ago. Now it’s become a popular “diet.” Lots of ways to go about it. I do more alternate day fasting in the model of Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon with longer fasts (on true fast days I stop eating by 8pm night before and don’t eat until 7pm next day). Though I end up fasting most weekdays because I tend to just have more energy and feel better while fasted during the day

R8RFAN
02-04-2018, 07:01 AM
I am back on the Keto Diet.... Very similar to Atkins. My blood glucose numbers have went up and I need to drop about 30 lbs as well. After about 8 days being on it my BG numbers are close to normal

Dr. Berg on Youtube... look him up

TambaBerry
02-04-2018, 07:27 AM
Yep, currently doing the 16:8, working my way towards actually fasting where you don't eat for a day or longer. Still researching that because it feels weird to not eat at all.

BucEyedPea
02-04-2018, 07:35 AM

I do a fast once a week usually. Some weeks I am unable to.

Vegas_Dave
02-04-2018, 08:23 AM
I've been doing a 5/2 intermittent fast since October... It's reset my sleep cycle and I've lost 40 lbs.

Pants
02-04-2018, 10:38 AM
Yep, currently doing the 16:8, working my way towards actually fasting where you don't eat for a day or longer. Still researching that because it feels weird to not eat at all.

Not eating for 24 hours is actually pretty easy.

Your hunger will peak around your usual breakfast time and around lunch, but will go away after a while.

I've done 24 hours fasts many times and I feel like I could go for way longer after that 24th hour.

lewdog
02-04-2018, 12:01 PM
I don’t see the need for a 24 hour fast but also nothing wrong with doing it.

Sometimes I’ll go 20 hours without eating if it’s a long day at work and I skip lunch. My feeding window then shrinks from 4-8 pm. I don’t do that often though.

58-4ever
02-04-2018, 12:05 PM
Yep, If I'm doing 16:8, I generally don't gain any weight, regardless of what I eat. I can really slim down doing it if I eat well.

mnchiefsguy
02-04-2018, 12:07 PM
There is a Canadian doctor, Jason Fung, who advocates IF for treatment of diabetes.

My current treatment regimen is not really controlling it, so I am considering this, but i would have to build up to it.

He has his worst diabetes patients fast for 7 to 21 days to start, then move either an every other day IF, or a 16:8 fasting window.

He wrote a book about it that I am currently starting on my kindle.

Fasting scares me, I tend to be a dick when I get really, really hungry, but I feel like I need to do something radical to help get my A1C and blood sugar down.

R Clark
02-04-2018, 12:10 PM
Don't know shit about it,was concerned it could promote diabetes guess I was wrong about it

BWillie
02-04-2018, 12:12 PM
I really don't understand fasting. I get you would not want to eat to lose weight (cuz, yanno, you aren't eating any calories during a fast), but what if you don't want to lose weight. Just want to be healthy. Why would you fast? Back when I read a lot about working out and nutrition 8 years ago, fasting seemed like a terrible idea. I'm willing to acknowledge there have been new studies and new schools of thought that has emerged, but not eating will promote fat storage. We were hunters and gatherers, perusing on whatever we can find. So when your body doesn't get what it is expecting, it goes into fat storage mode thinking the next feast might be difficult. Also, fasting then eating a bunch wouldn't be good for your insulin levels I wouldn't think. I had always read eating small meals very often was the absolute best way to have the least amount of fat storage and to maintain the best insulin levels. Why would this not be accurate?

R8RFAN
02-04-2018, 12:19 PM
I really don't understand fasting. I get you would not want to eat to lose weight, but what if you don't want to lose weight. Just want to be healthy. Why would you fast? Back when I read a lot about working out and nutrition 8 years ago, fasting seemed like a terrible idea. I'm willing to acknowledge there have been new studies and new schools of thought that has emerged, but not eating will promote fat storage. We were hunters and gatherers, perusing on whatever we can find. So when your body doesn't get what it is expecting, it goes into fat storage mode thinking the next feast might be difficult. Also, fasting then eating a bunch wouldn't be good for your insulin levels I wouldn't think. I had always read eating small meals very often was the absolute best way to have the least amount of fat storage and to maintain the best insulin levels. Why would this not be accurate?

I think fasting forces the body to burn fat reserves instead of storing more

Coogs
02-04-2018, 12:23 PM
Yep, If I'm doing 16:8, I generally don't gain any weight, regardless of what I eat. I can really slim down doing it if I eat well.

I have been using this since right after Christmas, and have dropped at least 12 pounds. I don't know what my high weight was, but it was probably 232 at least, if not 235. I am now at 220 and dropping. Minimal exercise at this time too. When the weather warms up... March or April, I plan to add a bit of walking/jogging eventually into my routine... but I am hoping I am nearing the 200 mark by that point in time. I'm shooting to get down to the 185-190 range, and then hold it by staying on the 16:8 once I get there.

ThaVirus
02-04-2018, 01:00 PM
When the weather warms up... March or April, I plan to add a bit of walking/jogging eventually into my routine...

Why wait?

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-04-2018, 01:07 PM
I'm doing the same diet as lewdog ,except with Vodka.

BWillie
02-04-2018, 01:11 PM
I'm doing the same diet as lewdog ,except with Vodka.

My uncle lost 130 pounds eating nothing but green beans and drinking beer everyday.

jdubya
02-04-2018, 01:18 PM
I am back on the Keto Diet.... Very similar to Atkins. My blood glucose numbers have went up and I need to drop about 30 lbs as well. After about 8 days being on it my BG numbers are close to normal

Dr. Berg on Youtube... look him up

Ive heard many good things about this Dr. Berg on you tube. On the other hand, I`m old enough to have seen so many fads and diets come and go that I am more convinced than ever they are all marketing gimmicks to make some folks very wealthy. In the end, it is calories in, calories out. Everything is fine but keep it in moderation. Weight loss needed? Eat less. Want to feel more energy? Get out and move a little whether it be walking, jogging, running, biking or swimming or whatever. Key word is MODERATION. Unfortunately most of us, me included, go overboard most of the time with the wrong foods or drinks.

The one and only diet that worked best for weight loss for me was the "Throat cancer weight loss diet" lol.......If you dont eat very much for roughly 4 months, you`ll lose about 40-50 lbs garaunteed haha. I`ve gained half of that back now and want to hold it where I am today.

MahiMike
02-04-2018, 01:28 PM
I like to fast for 2, maybe 3 hrs max.

Coogs
02-04-2018, 01:29 PM
Why wait?

I go to work before sunup, and get home not long before sundown. Waiting for it to warm up a bit too! Too lazy to walk in the dark and cold! :D

Mosbonian
02-04-2018, 03:18 PM
Also, fasting then eating a bunch wouldn't be good for your insulin levels I wouldn't think. I had always read eating small meals very often was the absolute best way to have the least amount of fat storage and to maintain the best insulin levels. Why would this not be accurate?

I can tell you my Dr. would freak if I tried doing the fasting bit....what I have bolded above is what he told me would be best for me being a type 2 diabetic.

Following his instructions I have lost 54 lbs.....taken my A1C down, and maintained a blood sugar level in the 80's.

R8RFAN
02-04-2018, 05:09 PM
Ive heard many good things about this Dr. Berg on you tube. On the other hand, I`m old enough to have seen so many fads and diets come and go that I am more convinced than ever they are all marketing gimmicks to make some folks very wealthy. In the end, it is calories in, calories out. Everything is fine but keep it in moderation. Weight loss needed? Eat less. Want to feel more energy? Get out and move a little whether it be walking, jogging, running, biking or swimming or whatever. Key word is MODERATION. Unfortunately most of us, me included, go overboard most of the time with the wrong foods or drinks.

The one and only diet that worked best for weight loss for me was the "Throat cancer weight loss diet" lol.......If you dont eat very much for roughly 4 months, you`ll lose about 40-50 lbs garaunteed haha. I`ve gained half of that back now and want to hold it where I am today.

It's basically Atkins with more green veggies ... Don't count calories, put your body in ketosis and the weight will melt away... Sure you can lose weight starving all the time but you are also more likely to quit than on this way of eating... Dump the potatoes and bread and sugar or anything that turns to sugars (carbs) in your system... Get your limited carbs from low carb green veggies (see glycemic index ) and you have no other choice but lose weight... I have to go low carb because I am diabetic, I can't eat those breads , oatmeal and stuff like that , they jack my Blood Glucose up.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-04-2018, 05:17 PM
It's basically Atkins with more green veggies ... Don't count calories, put your body in ketosis and the weight will melt away... Sure you can lose weight starving all the time but you are also more likely to quit than on this way of eating... Dump the potatoes and bread and sugar or anything that turns to sugars (carbs) in your system... Get your limited carbs from low carb green veggies (see glycemic index ) and you have no other choice but lose weight... I have to go low carb because I am diabetic, I can't eat those breads , oatmeal and stuff like that , they jack my Blood Glucose up.

Yep, and your hunger melts away. My problem is I like beer so I'll do Keto for 30 days and doing great but then I have some beer and then two weeks later I'm still on beer . the cycles suck. So again I'm starting Keto tomorrow. Always after football season.

R8RFAN
02-04-2018, 05:26 PM
Yep, and your hunger melts away. My problem is I like beer so I'll do Keto for 30 days and doing great but then I have some beer and then two weeks later I'm still on beer . the cycles suck. So again I'm starting Keto tomorrow. Always after football season.

I know I love beer too but I am taking a hiatus from it... I got lazy with my Blood Glucose numbers and don't want to be a ticking time bomb... This shit killed my Mom, she got so bad she had a toe amputated in the Dr's office that was so dead they didn't even have to numb her foot... Even though I have had the shit for 11 years, I have suffered no complications from it to date

kjwood75nro
02-04-2018, 09:30 PM
Facesitting should always be done intermittently.

MrGiggity
02-06-2018, 05:21 AM
Day one down. Lost 2.8 pounds. Realize this is mainly water weight.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-06-2018, 07:52 AM
Day one down. Lost 2.8 pounds. Realize this is mainly water weight.

When I fast for a whole day I'm not really even hungry the next morning. Usually that afternoon a little.

KCrockaholic
02-06-2018, 10:07 AM
How is the sugar free/white Monster considered during IF? I gotta have some caffeine in the morning and I'm not a fan of warm/hot drinks like black coffee.

KCUnited
02-06-2018, 10:12 AM
How is the sugar free/white Monster considered during IF? I gotta have some caffeine in the morning and I'm not a fan of warm/hot drinks like black coffee.

Not sure about Monster, but I use these as a change up to plain ol water.

http://www.makeitmio.com/

The Franchise
02-06-2018, 10:12 AM

I’ve had them before and I think they’re fine. Some people might not though.

KCrockaholic
02-06-2018, 10:13 AM
Not sure about Monster, but I use these as a change up to plain ol water.

http://www.makeitmio.com/

Yeah Mio's are pretty good. I had a caffeinated one a few months ago and probably used a little too much.

MrGiggity
02-06-2018, 10:15 AM
I kind of cheat. I am prescribed Modafinil (Provigil). Shit will kill your appetite if you're not used to it. I cycle between taking Modafinil and caffeine pills in the AM. Both will curb your appetite which is exactly what I need to get me started on IF.

TimeForWasp
02-06-2018, 10:42 AM
Sometimes I do 24 hours as fast as I can. Other times I do it at normal speed.

BWillie
02-06-2018, 03:17 PM
I kind of cheat. I am prescribed Modafinil (Provigil). Shit will kill your appetite if you're not used to it. I cycle between taking Modafinil and caffeine pills in the AM. Both will curb your appetite which is exactly what I need to get me started on IF.

How much does it cost you? I buy mine from Indian..not exactly prescribed.

I'm more scared of it than caffeine. Which is dumb, should be the other way around. I would probably be much healthier if I popped modafinil 4 times a week instead of an energy drink. Just have no idea about long term effects really just yet of it, so only take it on 10-15 times a year.

MrGiggity
02-06-2018, 04:01 PM
How much does it cost you? I buy mine from Indian..not exactly prescribed.

I'm more scared of it than caffeine. Which is dumb, should be the other way around. I would probably be much healthier if I popped modafinil 4 times a week instead of an energy drink. Just have no idea about long term effects really just yet of it, so only take it on 10-15 times a year.

I pay $10 for 30 pills (200 mg). I have been taking it daily for a year and haven't had any side effects.

R8RFAN
02-06-2018, 05:44 PM
Great low carb meal... Crack Slaw... Google it if interested

https://i.imgur.com/sI1dhRI.jpg

BucEyedPea
02-06-2018, 08:57 PM

I don't fast to lose weight. Partly to maintain and mainly to reduce free-radical damage. It's healthy for you per some health gurus.

And I could never do Atkins. Tried it once in high school, just to lose 5 lbs for summer, and it gave me the shakes. I need a certain amount of carbs.

BWillie
02-06-2018, 09:06 PM
I don't fast to lose weight. Partly to maintain and mainly to reduce free-radical damage. It's healthy for you per some health gurus.

And I could never do Atkins. Tried it once in high school, just to lose 5 lbs for summer, and it gave me the shakes. I need a certain amount of carbs.

I one time ate only steak, chicken, spam & meatballs for two weeks. Cycle back and forth between no carb and low carb diets. Was really able to cut my body fat that way, so I was always a believer in that diet. But the saturated fat wouldve probably give me a heart attack early in life.

R8RFAN
02-07-2018, 08:20 AM

You need nowhere near the carbs you think you need. I am no expert but look for Dr. Berg on youtube

BucEyedPea
02-07-2018, 08:24 AM
You need nowhere near the carbs you think you need. I am no expert but look for Dr. Berg on youtube

How do you know how many carbs my body needs? You're assuming I eat a lot of carbs too. I believe in eating based on blood type and Atkins does not suit me or others well at all. There is no one size fits diet. Sorry disagree.

BucEyedPea
02-07-2018, 08:30 AM
I one time ate only steak, chicken, spam & meatballs for two weeks. Cycle back and forth between no carb and low carb diets. Was really able to cut my body fat that way, so I was always a believer in that diet. But the saturated fat wouldve probably give me a heart attack early in life.

Spam? People actually do eat it? :Lin:

If I diet to lose weight, which I sometimes do just before summer to take off 5 lbs., I do better going vegan two days/vegetarian two days (but with no cheese, meat, or eggs for protein). That is 1.25 lbs weighed raw in non-starchy vegetables, no vinegars or sugars and lots of pure water—70 ozs daily. Then I slowly add fish, chicken, pork, beef, nuts and cheeses.

But I don't fast for this reason and I don't believe in long-term fasting either. Just a one day a week fast usually. It helps with free radical destruction which helps with aging. I can pass for ten years younger.

R8RFAN
02-07-2018, 11:13 AM
How do you know how many carbs my body needs? You're assuming I eat a lot of carbs too. I believe in eating based on blood type and Atkins does not suit me or others well at all. There is no one size fits diet. Sorry disagree.

No idea what you eat but you said you need a certain amount of carbs.... Just like a friend of mine said he can't do without sweets...

BucEyedPea
02-07-2018, 09:57 PM
No idea what you eat but you said you need a certain amount of carbs.... Just like a friend of mine said he can't do without sweets...

I do need a certain amount and it's been determined with nutritional testing too. I feel better with a certain amount and too little gives me the shakes.

ThaVirus
02-07-2018, 10:04 PM
I believe in eating based on blood type.

Good Lord, do I even want to know..?

R8RFAN
02-08-2018, 06:18 AM
I do need a certain amount and it's been determined with nutritional testing too. I feel better with a certain amount and too little gives me the shakes.

That feeling leaves you after a while.. Everybody feels better carbed up at the start but when you get your body in ketosis and start burning your own fat reserves that feels pretty amazing too

BucEyedPea
02-08-2018, 07:00 AM

Open your mind up. It's just based on the individual's metabolism. Not everyone requires the same amount of carbs, protein and fat daily.

BucEyedPea
02-08-2018, 07:01 AM
That feeling leaves you after a while.. Everybody feels better carbed up at the start but when you get your body in ketosis and start burning your own fat reserves that feels pretty amazing too

I don't carb up either. My preferred ratios are about a third, a third and a third—carb, fat and protein.

I don't like getting the shakes.

Fish
02-08-2018, 09:10 AM
Open your mind up. It's just based on the individual's metabolism. Not everyone requires the same amount of carbs, protein and fat daily.

It's based on bullshit.

Theory behind popular blood-type diet debunked (https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/01/140115172246.htm)

Researchers from the University of Toronto (U of T) have found that the theory behind the popular blood type diet--which claims an individual's nutritional needs vary by blood type--is not valid. The findings are published this week in PLoS One.

[...]

"The way an individual responds to any one of these diets has absolutely nothing to do with their blood type and has everything to do with their ability to stick to a sensible vegetarian or low-carbohydrate diet," said El-Sohemy.

Researchers found that the associations they observed between each of the four blood-type (A, B, AB, O) diets and the markers of health are independent of the person's blood type. The 'blood-type' diet was popularized in the book Eat Right for Your Type, written by naturopath Peter D'Adamo. The theory behind the diet is that the ABO blood type should match the dietary habits of our ancestors and people with different blood types process food differently.

More:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-blood-type-diets/no-science-behind-blood-type-diets-idUSBRE94T0XD20130530

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3893150/

NewChief
02-08-2018, 09:20 AM
It's based on bullshit.

More:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-blood-type-diets/no-science-behind-blood-type-diets-idUSBRE94T0XD20130530

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3893150/

But it contains so much truthiness!

Fish
02-08-2018, 09:33 AM
But it contains so much truthiness!

https://i.imgur.com/Dz7tE3S.jpg

lewdog
02-08-2018, 11:18 AM

Ladies Home Journal handing out nutrition advice again?

Do you know how to read scientific research?

R8RFAN
02-08-2018, 12:26 PM
I don't carb up either. My preferred ratios are about a third, a third and a third—carb, fat and protein.

I don't like getting the shakes.

You don't have to get the shakes and go ultra low carb because a carb is a carb is a carb regardless of the source but when you get your carbs from the complex cab list vs the simple carb list your body slow burns it and it's much better for you... You could live a healthy lean lifestyle if you never ate anything again but meat and salads... Your body does not need bread or potato's it craves them, white sugar is basically poison to our bodies. Don't think that I am trying to be some holier than thou health nut, I am learning this stuff all over again but I have a more at stake than just my sexy body... I have Diabetes and have had it since 2007 and even though I stay below the level required to be a truck driver I am still considered to have uncontrolled Diabetes, I now have my blood glucose levels close to a normal non diabetic person ... I am a lucky one so far, no loss of feeling in any parts of my body and good circulation in my feet, no viagra needed. My Dr told me years ago if I lost 50 lbs it would change my life. I am going to lose 50 lbs and change my life. Diabetes love people with fat on their bodies, it makes the insulin your body produces less effective. Skinny people can be type 2 as well though . My risk of a heart attack or stroke doubles when my blood sugar is high .. I will be diabetic all my life and I will die one day but flour bread potato's just to name a few is not important enough to me to risk checking out way before my time because of it.

Kaepernick
02-08-2018, 12:33 PM
I heard that fasting for 3 days straight would reset your immune system. So I fasted for 4 days straight. Nothing but water for 4 days. After 2 days, my hunger completely disappeared. I never felt a hint of hunger the last 2 days. Bizzare.

It was also weird not to take a dump the last day. I was empty. It also felt really weird to eat after 4 days without food.

I did pray to God to take away my hunger, so believe it or don't. Either he did or I didn't need him to. It was enlighteneng to know I could go 4 days without food with no headaches or fatigue or other symptoms. I felt great actually. Who knows if it jump started my immune system.

I really need to get on a fasting meal program. Daily, every other day, 5:2 or otherwise.

I find daily to not work at all. I am always ready for meals at irregular times outside the eating window. I think every other day would work better, but what happens to daily coffee?

The Franchise
02-08-2018, 12:40 PM
I heard that fasting for 3 days straight would reset your immune system. So I fasted for 4 days straight. Nothing but water for 4 days. After 2 days, my hunger completely disappeared. I never felt a hint of hunger the last 2 days. Bizzare.

It was also weird not to take a dump the last day. I was empty. It also felt really weird to eat after 4 days without food.

I did pray to God to take away my hunger, so believe it or don't. Either he did or I didn't need him to. It was enlighteneng to know I could go 4 days without food with no headaches or fatigue or other symptoms. I felt great actually. Who knows if it jump started my immune system.

I really need to get on a fasting meal program. Daily, every other day, 5:2 or otherwise.

I find daily to not work at all. I am always ready for meals at irregular times outside the eating window. I think every other day would work better, but what happens to daily coffee?

You can drink black coffee.

Frosty
02-08-2018, 01:18 PM

I do fine for the first two days but usually hit the wall on the third and then feel like death warmed over. It takes three days to deplete the glycogen from your liver through fasting so I imagine that's what's happening.

I frequently do a 4:3 form of alternate day fasting (ADF). Most ADF plans allow up to 500 calories on the "fasting" days so you could incorporate that with the coffee if you don't drink it black.

NewChief
02-08-2018, 01:21 PM
I do fine for the first two days but usually hit the wall on the third and then feel like death warmed over. It takes three days to deplete the glycogen from your liver through fasting so I imagine that's what's happening.

Yes. You're hitting ketosis at that point and basically getting what people call the "keto flu." If you power through that, you'll really start to reap the rewards as your body starts burning those fat reserves.

Frosty
02-08-2018, 01:28 PM
Yes. You're hitting ketosis at that point and basically getting what people call the "keto flu." If you power through that, you'll really start to reap the rewards as your body starts burning those fat reserves.

The problem is that once the glycogen is gone, your body has to turn to protein for the glucose it does need and if you are fasting, that means muscle eventually (once autophagy cleans up the extra).

I did very low carb (basically zero carb) for more than a year and never really got over the keto flu completely. Some people adapt well and some don't and I'm apparently of the latter. I did lose a fair amount of weight doing that but nuked my thyroid in the process so avoid VLC now, short of a one day fast.

NewChief
02-08-2018, 01:36 PM
The problem is that once the glycogen is gone, your body has to turn to protein for the glucose it does need and if you are fasting, that means muscle eventually (once autophagy cleans up the extra).

I did very low carb (basically zero carb) for more than a year and never really got over the keto flu completely. Some people adapt well and some don't and I'm apparently of the latter. I did lose a fair amount of weight doing that but nuked my thyroid in the process so avoid VLC now, short of a one day fast.

I'm pretty much ADF as well (we've talked about it in the Fitness thread I'm sure). Though really I do what people are calling "fasting" these days almost daily (16-8). All that really requires is skipping breakfast. I do almost 23 hour fasts on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I usually fast (though not strictly) on Tuesdays and Thursday as well, but I'll sometimes eat breakfast or lunch if I feel like it.

My wife and I were just talking about fasting last night. We've been (along with a lot of other folks on the old Workout threads) fasting for like 6 or 7 years. People used to tell us were unhealthy and crazy (conventional wisdom at that time was the graze on small portions throughout the day). It's been really entertaining to see a lot of those same people now tell us all about their new fasting diet that they're doing (forgetting that we've been doing it for a good while and that they used to think we were weird for it).

It's really become quite a fad as of late, though, once again, I'm not sure about the 16:8 fast that everyone is doing. Doesn't really seem like a fast to me, but I haven't really read the science on it.

ForeverChiefs58
02-08-2018, 01:40 PM
I thought thread title said “Intermittent Fisting”

I clicked on it because I thought it was about the chiefs and their playoff record

ThaVirus
02-08-2018, 01:49 PM

Why would you need to do that? Were you on chemo or something?

Frosty
02-08-2018, 01:50 PM
I'm pretty much ADF as well (we've talked about it in the Fitness thread I'm sure). Though really I do what people are calling "fasting" these days almost daily (16-8). All that really requires is skipping breakfast. I do almost 23 hour fasts on Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I usually fast (though not strictly) on Tuesdays and Thursday as well, but I'll sometimes eat breakfast or lunch if I feel like it.

I try not to eat at all on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, though if I get super hungry I'll allow myself up to 500 cals (usually some eggs or fat free Greek yogurt) then eat what I want on the other days. It works out to a 36 hour fast and then a 12 hour eating window over two days, though Friday and Saturday are both "Up Days".

I've tried the forms of IF with daily eating windows like 16:8 and Fast 5 but don't do that well with them. For one thing, I can still pack away a bunch of food in those windows. :D

I feel amazing when doing 4:3. Lots of energy and it seems to help a lot with some arthritic joint pain. Physically, it's pretty easy. The struggle is the mental aspect (wanting to eat just because) and fitting into other people's schedule.

My wife and I were just talking about fasting last night. We've been (along with a lot of other folks on the old Workout threads) fasting for like 6 or 7 years. People used to tell us were unhealthy and crazy (conventional wisdom at that time was the graze on small portions throughout the day). It's been really entertaining to see a lot of those same people now tell us all about their new fasting diet that they're doing (forgetting that we've been doing it for a good while and that they used to think we were weird for it).

It's really become quite a fad as of late, though, once again, I'm not sure about the 16:8 fast that everyone is doing. Doesn't really seem like a fast to me, but I haven't really read the science on it.

I get a lot of that too and basically don't tell people what I'm doing. My parents, for one, are the "OMG, you have to eat breakfast every day or you'll die!" types so IF doesn't come up when we visit. However, a recent study (http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2016/09/true-alternate-day-fast-beats-classic.html)shows that true ADF beats classic dieting and is as safe, so I am getting more ammo for the doubters.

Shoes
02-08-2018, 04:34 PM
I try not to eat at all on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday, though if I get super hungry I'll allow myself up to 500 cals (usually some eggs or fat free Greek yogurt) then eat what I want on the other days. It works out to a 36 hour fast and then a 12 hour eating window over two days, though Friday and Saturday are both "Up Days".

I've tried the forms of IF with daily eating windows like 16:8 and Fast 5 but don't do that well with them. For one thing, I can still pack away a bunch of food in those windows. :D

I feel amazing when doing 4:3. Lots of energy and it seems to help a lot with some arthritic joint pain. Physically, it's pretty easy. The struggle is the mental aspect (wanting to eat just because) and fitting into other people's schedule.

I get a lot of that too and basically don't tell people what I'm doing. My parents, for one, are the "OMG, you have to eat breakfast every day or you'll die!" types so IF doesn't come up when we visit. However, a study shows that true ADF beats classic dieting and is as safe, so I am getting more ammo for the doubters.

I can't even comprehend not eating 3 out of 7 days of the week. Witchcraft.

ThaVirus
02-08-2018, 04:57 PM

You've got to learn to be hungry.

Frosty
02-08-2018, 04:59 PM
You've got to learn to be hungry.

Hunger comes and goes but doesn't hang around long each time.

Frosty
02-08-2018, 05:11 PM

Dieting three days a week beats dieting seven days a week hands down.

MrGiggity
02-10-2018, 08:40 AM
It's only been 5 days, but does it get any easier as time goes on?

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-10-2018, 09:12 AM

Yes

lewdog
02-10-2018, 09:35 AM

Starts to feel normal and actually good around 2 weeks.

I actually feel like I have more energy at work During my morning fast.

MrGiggity
02-10-2018, 09:40 AM
Starts to feel normal and actually good around 2 weeks.

I actually feel like I have more energy at work During my morning fast.

Nice. What time frame do you eat?

lewdog
02-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Nice. What time frame do you eat?

Noon-8pm.

I workout between 1:30-2:30 usually as well 3-4x per week.

Renegade
02-10-2018, 10:35 AM
Noon-8pm.

How many days do you fast? Is 16/8 good everyday or should you break it up?

I am on day 4 and find it normal. No real hunger pains, just cravings. The joys of working around food all day.

lewdog
02-10-2018, 10:53 AM
How many days do you fast? Is 16/8 good everyday or should you break it up?

I am on day 4 and find it normal. No real hunger pains, just cravings. The joys of working around food all day.

I fast 16/8 pretty much every day. Sometimes on a weekend I'll cook a nice breakfast and eat around 8 a.m. but that's rare.

I don't see a need for 24 hour fasts.

I also honestly just enjoy eating like this now. No having to take time with breakfast before work or packing some extravagant lunch. I don't have to work my day around food any more which makes me more efficient getting things done.

AssEaterChief
02-10-2018, 02:08 PM
I heard that fasting for 3 days straight would reset your immune system.

From who?

Boiled Chicken
02-10-2018, 02:58 PM
Noon-8pm.

Is there any difference between working out before or after you break your fast?

NewChief
02-10-2018, 03:20 PM
From who?

While I don't know about resetting your immune system, there is some evidence that extended fasts (and extended ketosis, I believe) cause autophagy in precancer cells.

AssEaterChief
02-10-2018, 04:07 PM
While I don't know about resetting your immune system, there is some evidence that extended fasts (and extended ketosis, I believe) cause autophagy in precancer cells.

I totally buy that…and that makes sense.

it was that 'resetting' that sounded fishy…even if you could 'reset' your immune system I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a good thing

ThaVirus
02-10-2018, 05:35 PM
I totally buy that…and that makes sense.

it was that 'resetting' that sounded fishy…even if you could 'reset' your immune system I'm pretty sure that wouldn't be a good thing

I had read a study recently that the three day fast causes your stem cells to create all new white blood cells. It sounded like it would invigorate a now-defunct immune system, which is why I asked him if he was on chemo or something. Unless you’re elderly or have cancer it wouldn’t make much sense to put in the effort.

MrGiggity
02-10-2018, 09:32 PM
Is there any difference between working out before or after you break your fast?

I personally do it right before.

MrGiggity
02-10-2018, 09:33 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/nHJhufGbmR0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MVChiefFan
02-11-2018, 09:39 AM
I intermittent fast and I know it sucks, but I break up my exercise into two different times. I get up in the morning and have a cup of black coffee and then do cardio during my fasted state. Then, after I break fast at lunch, I lift in the afternoon. I think that cardio on an empty stomach helps burn more fat, but you need the energy of food for heavy lifting. Like I said, it kind of sucks to not get all your workout done at one time, but I’ve found this routine to be very beneficial.

lewdog
02-11-2018, 10:58 AM
I intermittent fast and I know it sucks, but I break up my exercise into two different times. I get up in the morning and have a cup of black coffee and then do cardio during my fasted state. Then, after I break fast at lunch, I lift in the afternoon. I think that cardio on an empty stomach helps burn more fat, but you need the energy of food for heavy lifting. Like I said, it kind of sucks to not get all your workout done at one time, but I’ve found this routine to be very beneficial.

You could accomplish the same thing by lifting heavy to deplete glycogen stores and follow that with cardio to burn more fat. Interval training would be your best form of cardio when it follows lifting weights to accomplish this.

Too bad most who lift weights do it with such little intensity. Long cardio sessions aren’t needed to lose fat, provided your weight work is compound exercise such as presses, rows/chins, squats and deadlifts.

BWillie
02-11-2018, 12:43 PM
Almost everything I've read in this thread goes against everything I always read from 2000-2006 on Elite Fitness & Body Building boards. Amazing how things change. Maybe I was doing it all wrong but I had good results.

lewdog
02-11-2018, 02:32 PM
Almost everything I've read in this thread goes against everything I always read from 2000-2006 on Elite Fitness & Body Building boards. Amazing how things change. Maybe I was doing it all wrong but I had good results.

There’s many ways to skin a cat.

It’s mostly about daily caloric intake vs what you’re burning. Accomplish that in any way you want and you’ll have success. The stuff that was incorrect was that eating every few hours kept your metabolism high. It really doesn’t matter. It’s just accomplishing calories in vs calories out. Don’t need to get cute with how you do it. Fasting shortens my feeding window and I take in less calories.

AssEaterChief
02-11-2018, 03:10 PM
Too bad most who lift weights do it with such little intensity. Long cardio sessions aren’t needed to lose fat, provided your weight work is compound exercise such as presses, rows/chins, squats and deadlifts.

Intensity in what regard?

MVChiefFan
02-11-2018, 03:15 PM
You could accomplish the same thing by lifting heavy to deplete glycogen stores and follow that with cardio to burn more fat. Interval training would be your best form of cardio when it follows lifting weights to accomplish this.

Yeah, I think this way is probably the best. I was doing this for the last couple of years, but recently got stuck in a rut. I changed it up and I’ve dropped a decent amount of fat in the last month. Just something different.

lewdog
02-11-2018, 04:32 PM
Intensity in what regard?

Intensity as measured by percentage of your 1 rep max for multiple working sets. Not wasting so much time doing high rep sets with lighter weight like most people lift.

MrGiggity
02-12-2018, 06:56 AM
Down 3.8 pounds since last monday (Start date). Admittedly have not had 16:8 days everyday this week, but have done it 3 times. The other days ranged from 11-14 hours of fasting.

BucEyedPea
02-12-2018, 07:26 AM
Ladies Home Journal handing out nutrition advice again?

Do you know how to read scientific research?

Ah, the ole' you don't know science ad hom/ logical fallacy. That's odd, usually vegans criticize that book. My niece is a registered dietician. I don't have to go reading reams of scientific research. There's all kinds anyway, when it comes to food and nutrition and plenty of it contradicts other studies. There's lo fat, paleo such as Atkins, the Zone, Macro and on and on and on.

What I know is the list for my blood type, matches the list from my blood work by my allergy doctor. I don't rely on the book for one profile but as part of more factors including genetics. Plus, I feel better.

BTW your beloved NIH turned out to be wrong about parabens now that they're being removed from products for being found in biopsies of folks with skin and breast cancer. There was an article in the WSJ about it. Your trusted sources are still on the ole' saturated fat is dangerous for you, when inflammation is now considered more of a health factor for heart issues. They're not always right either. And doctors barely study nutrition—if at all.

Rausch
02-12-2018, 08:03 AM
I believe in eating based on blood type and Atkins does not suit me or others well at all. There is no one size fits diet. Sorry disagree.

This.

I'm a huge fan of low carb/keto eating but not everyone can do it. Some people have medical conditions that prevent them from trying it. Keto doesn't cure everything (despite what advocates say.)

I did do a 10 day "water fast." (I ate nothing for 10 days - only took in fiber capsules, two multivitamins a day, and drank 0 calorie powerade for magnesium/potassium/salt.) I lost 20 lbs, I've kept it off for almost 6 months now, and was amazed how much better I felt.

BucEyedPea
02-12-2018, 08:11 AM
This.

I'm a huge fan of low carb/keto eating but not everyone can do it. Some people have medical conditions that prevent them from trying it. Keto doesn't cure everything (despite what advocates say.)

I did do a 10 day "water fast." (I ate nothing for 10 days - only took in fiber capsules, two multivitamins a day, and drank 0 calorie powerade for magnesium/potassium/salt.) I lost 20 lbs, I've kept it off for almost 6 months now, and was amazed how much better I felt.

Fiber capsules? I never heard of those. Do they make your belly feel full enough so you feel somewhat satiated?

Rausch
02-12-2018, 08:15 AM
Fiber capsules? I never heard of those. Do they make your belly feel full enough so you feel somewhat satiated?

That's a side effect, yes. More importantly it keeps you from getting constipated at first (first 3 days while food is still in your system) and other fates worse than watching a Chiefs home playoff game...

These are what I take (around $10.)

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/4147XDloUTL.jpg

BucEyedPea
02-12-2018, 10:45 AM
That's a side effect, yes. More importantly it keeps you from getting constipated at first (first 3 days while food is still in your system) and other fates worse than watching a Chiefs home playoff game...

Interesting. I would think psyllium husks would do the same.

BucEyedPea
02-12-2018, 10:46 AM
This.

I know of some men that ate one of those hi-carb lo-fat diets who still had heart attacks. Turned out they improved with a more hi-fat paleo diet, including allowing cream and butter instead. Cholesterol plunged, blood pressure improved etc. Sugar can create a problem for that and it also increased inflammation.
Inflammation is a factor that is being looked at more.

I've a cousin, who was slim her whole life, yet she ate lots of butter, actually her whole family, never dieted and pretty much ate what she wanted and still has never gained weight. She is always trying to stay up to 105 pounds at what I think is 5'2" or just under that. She just can't gain weight. It's her metabolism as well as the rest of them in that family.

ThaVirus
02-12-2018, 11:30 AM
That's bullshit, dude. Her metabolism might be a little higher than the average but if she "just can't gain weight" she simply isn't eating enough or she's too active for the amount she is eating.

BWillie
02-12-2018, 12:08 PM
There’s many ways to skin a cat.

It’s mostly about daily caloric intake vs what you’re burning. Accomplish that in any way you want and you’ll have success. The stuff that was incorrect was that eating every few hours kept your metabolism high. It really doesn’t matter. It’s just accomplishing calories in vs calories out. Don’t need to get cute with how you do it. Fasting shortens my feeding window and I take in less calories.

There is no truth that by eating larger meals you spike insulin levels causing more fat storage?

BucEyedPea
02-12-2018, 01:19 PM
That's bullshit, dude. Her metabolism might be a little higher than the average but if she "just can't gain weight" she simply isn't eating enough or she's too active for the amount she is eating.

Nope. Her whole family is skinny. I think it's genetics but that's jmo.

If I ate what she ate, I'd gain 5-10 pounds easily.

BucEyedPea
02-12-2018, 01:23 PM
In fact, Virus, this article seems to confirm what I have observed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7838668.stm

Frosty
02-12-2018, 02:25 PM
There is no truth that by eating larger meals you spike insulin levels causing more fat storage?

Insulin doesn't make you fat. Calories make you fat.

R8RFAN
02-12-2018, 03:13 PM

Just make you up some good kale smoothies in the nutribullet you will be shitting a pile , kickin it over and starting a new one in no time at all

Kale
Unsweetened Almond Milk
5 blueberries
and a little stevia or xylitol
add a couple of ice cubes if you want it thicker

R8RFAN
02-12-2018, 03:16 PM
I know of some men that ate one of those hi-carb lo-fat diets who still had heart attacks. Turned out they improved with a more hi-fat paleo diet, including allowing cream and butter instead. Cholesterol plunged, blood pressure improved etc. Sugar can create a problem for that and it also increased inflammation.
Inflammation is a factor that is being looked at more.

I've a cousin, who was slim her whole life, yet she ate lots of butter, actually her whole family, never dieted and pretty much ate what she wanted and still has never gained weight. She is always trying to stay up to 105 pounds at what I think is 5'2" or just under that. She just can't gain weight. It's her metabolism as well as the rest of them in that family.

My blood glucose numbers are very close to someone who is not Diabetic since I have been on this keto stuff

lewdog
02-12-2018, 03:22 PM
Ah, the ole' you don't know science ad hom/ logical fallacy. That's odd, usually vegans criticize that book. My niece is a registered dietician. I don't have to go reading reams of scientific research. There's all kinds anyway, when it comes to food and nutrition and plenty of it contradicts other studies. There's lo fat, paleo such as Atkins, the Zone, Macro and on and on and on.

What I know is the list for my blood type, matches the list from my blood work by my allergy doctor. I don't rely on the book for one profile but as part of more factors including genetics. Plus, I feel better.

BTW your beloved NIH turned out to be wrong about parabens now that they're being removed from products for being found in biopsies of folks with skin and breast cancer. There was an article in the WSJ about it. Your trusted sources are still on the ole' saturated fat is dangerous for you, when inflammation is now considered more of a health factor for heart issues. They're not always right either. And doctors barely study nutrition—if at all.

If your registered dietician niece is prescribing diets based on blood type, I’d like her name so I can turn her in to the state board for malpractice.

Fish
02-12-2018, 04:01 PM
Ah, the ole' you don't know science ad hom/ logical fallacy. That's odd, usually vegans criticize that book.

Speaking of logical fallacies... let's go over a couple...

My niece is a registered dietician. I don't have to go reading reams of scientific research. There's all kinds anyway, when it comes to food and nutrition and plenty of it contradicts other studies. There's lo fat, paleo such as Atkins, the Zone, Macro and on and on and on.

This one is called appeal to authority. You're ignoring reams of scientific research to satisfy your confirmation bias. You ignore the totality of scientific knowledge of the subject in favor of the outlying opinion of one person who's opinion you agree with.

This fallacy is called False Cause.

This one is a bit of Gambler's Fallacy and a bit of Ad Hominem. You think that because science was wrong about parabens(which itself is an incorrect statement), or saturated fat (also wrong), that they will be wrong about everything.

You are a poor critical thinker, convinced that you're the opposite. It's really a shame. Entertaining though....

ThaVirus
02-12-2018, 04:18 PM
Nope. Her whole family is skinny. I think it's genetics but that's jmo.

If I ate what she ate, I'd gain 5-10 pounds easily.

Genetics play a role in literally everything, I wouldn't dispute that. But saying "she can eat whatever she wants and never get fat" is just shit fat people say to make themselves feel better about being fat.

In fact, Virus, this article seems to confirm what I have observed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/7838668.stm

You realize this proved nothing, right? Without recording every bit of information down to starting body composition and on to calories in/calories out there's no way to come to any legitimate conclusion that would bolster your argument.

TimeForWasp
02-13-2018, 05:44 AM
Intermittent Fisting ?

MrGiggity
02-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Down five pounds since I started two weeks ago.

Hog's Gone Fishin
02-20-2018, 08:29 AM
Intermittent Fisting ?

Yep, thats what I thought this thread was about. I need glasses. Anyway I started 2 weeks ago and don't have anymore problems with constipation.

Rausch
02-20-2018, 11:05 PM
Just make you up some good kale smoothies in the nutribullet you will be shitting a pile , kickin it over and starting a new one in no time at all

Kale
Unsweetened Almond Milk
5 blueberries
and a little stevia or xylitol
add a couple of ice cubes if you want it thicker

I'd rather pack pine needles in my colon.

From bottom up...

Rausch
02-20-2018, 11:07 PM
Insulin doesn't make you fat. Calories make you fat.

Wrong.

It's a combo of insulin and the type of calories you eat (sugar? Carbs? Fat? Protein?)

Titty Meat
02-20-2018, 11:32 PM
Wrong.

It's a combo of insulin and the type of calories you eat (sugar? Carbs? Fat? Protein?)

It's impossible to get fat on a caloric deficit

Titty Meat
02-20-2018, 11:33 PM

Rausch
02-20-2018, 11:42 PM

No, it's not...

Titty Meat
02-20-2018, 11:56 PM
No, it's not...

Proof?

Rausch
02-21-2018, 12:13 AM
Proof?

When sugars and carbs are taken in what decides if those are stored or burned immediately?...

cooper barrett
02-21-2018, 02:38 AM

You are so wrong... If you force your body into survival mode it will actually put fat in place of muscle. Yes, I
guess you would lose weight but just not lose fat.

Coogs
02-21-2018, 06:08 AM
I've been doing this for right at 2 months now. Started right after Christmas. 24 pounds down. Weighed 211 this morning. Hopefully a month from now I can crack the 200 mark. I have not seen the low side of 200 in probably 25 years. Goal is in the 185-190 range.

My window is now between 10:30 AM and 6:30 PM for eating and drinking anything but water. My sleep is much better, as acid reflux was a huge nightly problem. That has pretty much disappeared from my life. I'm also on high blood pressure and cholesterol meds. Hoping to kick those to the curb in the near future too!

MrGiggity
02-21-2018, 08:06 AM
I've been doing this for right at 2 months now. Started right after Christmas. 24 pounds down. Weighed 211 this morning. Hopefully a month from now I can crack the 200 mark. I have not seen the low side of 200 in probably 25 years. Goal is in the 185-190 range.

My window is now between 10:30 AM and 6:30 PM for eating and drinking anything but water. My sleep is much better, as acid reflux was a huge nightly problem. That has pretty much disappeared from my life. I'm also on high blood pressure and cholesterol meds. Hoping to kick those to the curb in the near future too!

Congrats! Are you working out as well?

Titty Meat
02-21-2018, 08:26 AM
When sugars and carbs are taken in what decides if those are stored or burned immediately?...

Calories in Calories out. It's impossible to put on weight in a deficit.

NewChief
02-21-2018, 08:41 AM
You are so wrong... If you force your body into survival mode it will actually put fat in place of muscle. Yes, I
guess you would lose weight but just not lose fat.

There is a HUGE difference between eating below your BMR and going into starvation mode. In addition, when your body kicks into ketosis from fasting after a few days, it does burn fat, not muscle. Actually starving to the point of your body burning muscle is something that very, very few humans in first world countries experience and no one on this board needs to worry about most likely.

Frosty
02-21-2018, 09:50 AM
Wrong.

Insulin is a red herring. You need to get out of the low carb echo chamber and look at the actual science. If you eat at a deficit, it doesn't matter, weight-wise, what you eat. You will lose weight. Low carb helps some people feel satiated, so they eat less and lose weight. Others do really well eating low fat, high carb. Google "Spud fit" for the guy that lost 120 pounds by eating nothing but plain potatoes for a year. Oh no, the insulinz!!!

The biggest key to losing weight is to find a diet you can stick with (https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/article-abstract/2673150?redirect=true).

And the starvation makes you fatter thing is so much bullshit. No metabolic ward study has ever shown that effect. It comes from anecdotal stories by people lying about how much they really eat.

Frosty
02-21-2018, 12:36 PM
BTW, I don't mean to be a dick about it (well, maybe a little) but I was involved in the low carb "scene" for years and years. In the beginning, when it was based on Atkins' writing, the whole idea was that low carb would keep you from being too hungry and overeating. Atkins claimed that high insulin could crash the blood sugar and make you really hungry. He said calories absolutely mattered and that if you weren't losing weight, you needed to cut back on cheese and nuts. He also thought that you lost extra calories by peeing out the ketones from being ketosis (which actually isn't true).

You also weren't supposed to stay on really low carb levels after the first two weeks. You added back carbs every week until you found a level you could still lose weight on (called climbing the carb ladder on Atkins).

The Gary Taubes came along and wrote "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and made the claim that high insulin trapped fat in the fat cells so people overeat because they are metabolically starving). Suddenly, in low carb circles, calories no longer mattered and it was all about insulin levels and keeping them as low as possible. That birthed keto where you even keep protein intake low because of the insulin. You even have people adding butter to their coffee and eating almost pure fat because of it.

The problem is that there is zero evidence of insulin trapping fat and Taubes was found to have misrepresented most of what his sources actually said. But by then, the idea that calories don't matter was firmly entrenched in low carb. If someone isn't losing weight, the advice is always cut carbs and protein as low as possible and "eat moar fat!!" which isn't helpful in the long run. You see over and over in other diet forums people that gained weight on keto and finally gave up. It's frustrating.

SuperBowl4
02-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Life is short, eat often.

Bearcat
02-22-2018, 10:30 AM
The Gary Taubes came along and wrote "Good Calories, Bad Calories" and made the claim that high insulin trapped fat in the fat cells so people overeat because they are metabolically starving). Suddenly, in low carb circles, calories no longer mattered and it was all about insulin levels and keeping them as low as possible. That birthed keto where you even keep protein intake low because of the insulin. You even have people adding butter to their coffee and eating almost pure fat because of it.

The problem is that there is zero evidence of insulin trapping fat and Taubes was found to have misrepresented most of what his sources actually said. But by then, the idea that calories don't matter was firmly entrenched in low carb. If someone isn't losing weight, the advice is always cut carbs and protein as low as possible and "eat moar fat!!" which isn't helpful in the long run. You see over and over in other diet forums people that gained weight on keto and finally gave up. It's frustrating.

Interesting... I've known people who have done keto, but don't pay attention to calories at all. Perhaps they don't care about the weight loss part of it, but one person in particular would talk about not losing weight while not tracking calories. Uh... yeah?

I'm a big fan of keto... far fewer cravings and found it pretty easy to lose the gut with a 500 calorie/day deficit. After that, it was about eliminating the really obvious carbs (not eating a Clif bar or two for breakfast or buying rice or pasta, etc.). And beer is carb free, right? :D

O.city
02-22-2018, 10:49 AM
Interesting... I've known people who have done keto, but don't pay attention to calories at all. Perhaps they don't care about the weight loss part of it, but one person in particular would talk about not losing weight while not tracking calories. Uh... yeah?

I'm a big fan of keto... far fewer cravings and found it pretty easy to lose the gut with a 500 calorie/day deficit. After that, it was about eliminating the really obvious carbs (not eating a Clif bar or two for breakfast or buying rice or pasta, etc.). And beer is carb free, right? :D

The wife and I are currently doing Keto, not really for weight loss but just to see how it goes with systemic health.

Thru a month I feel great. No energy spikes and lows but constant energy and it’s helped me add some muscle in the weight room I think.

But fuck I miss carbs. One of the girls in my office made a gooseberry cobbler and I almost passed out

Bearcat
02-22-2018, 12:10 PM
The wife and I are currently doing Keto, not really for weight loss but just to see how it goes with systemic health.

Thru a month I feel great. No energy spikes and lows but constant energy and it’s helped me add some muscle in the weight room I think.

But **** I miss carbs. One of the girls in my office made a gooseberry cobbler and I almost passed out

I've been surprised with working out, only once or twice have I felt like I probably needed some carbs to burn for a workout... granted, I'm usually on the higher end around 40-45g/day, while I know some people aim for 20-25g/day.

I didn't cheat at all for the first few months I was on it and went through the same withdrawals, and it really paid off (I live alone, which makes it easier, but we even have a freakin' dessert potluck at work like once a month). These days I kick myself out every once in a while after cheating (or like during the holidays, where I just say fuck it), but I've played around with it some so I can cheat a little without having to go through the few days of hunger to get back.

cooper barrett
02-22-2018, 12:20 PM
I have read a lot of diet books but for 30lb or more and lifestyle, I think that Doctors Michael and Mary Dan Eades program is dead on. 20 plus years later their facts are still facts. He was preaching Paleo before paleo was a thing. Simple. If man changes it, you should eat it sparingly. Since you could find berries in the morning eat berries in the morning. get all the nutrients from the food, eat clean animals: eat the marrow, brain and tongue.

Oh, and he knows something about food on paper and real life as he owns a company that makes Sous Vide equipment and has owned restaurants too..He also likes Jamison's, that's a big one...:D:D:D

BTW, I don't mean to be a dick about it (well, maybe a little) but I was involved in the low carb "scene" for years and years. In the beginning, when it was based on Atkins' writing, the whole idea was that low carb would keep you from being too hungry and overeating. Atkins claimed that high insulin could crash the blood sugar and make you really hungry. He said calories absolutely mattered and that if you weren't losing weight, you needed to cut back on cheese and nuts. He also thought that you lost extra calories by peeing out the ketones from being ketosis (which actually isn't true).

You also weren't supposed to stay on really low carb levels after the first two weeks. You added back carbs every week until you found a level you could still lose weight on (called climbing the carb ladder on Atkins).

O.city
02-22-2018, 12:37 PM
I've been surprised with working out, only once or twice have I felt like I probably needed some carbs to burn for a workout... granted, I'm usually on the higher end around 40-45g/day, while I know some people aim for 20-25g/day.

I didn't cheat at all for the first few months I was on it and went through the same withdrawals, and it really paid off (I live alone, which makes it easier, but we even have a freakin' dessert potluck at work like once a month). These days I kick myself out every once in a while after cheating (or like during the holidays, where I just say **** it), but I've played around with it some so I can cheat a little without having to go through the few days of hunger to get back.

Yeah, I haven't cheated yet but I do miss my sweets.

Frosty
02-22-2018, 12:37 PM
My issue with keto is when protein and carbs are both kept really low. Even though you can mostly run on ketones, your brain still needs some glucose. Thyroid studies suggest that minimum level is around 50 grams a day. If you drop your carbs below that, you have to make up the difference through glyconeogenesis (converting protein to glucose). It takes roughly two grams of protein to make one gram of glucose. This means if you only eat 20 grams of carbs a day, it will take 60 grams of protein to make up the difference. If you don't also eat that much protein, then where does the glucose come from? Hint - your lean tissue.

Speaking of those thyroid studies, the studies show a consistent intake of under 50 g/day of carbs can (and probably will) lead to a depressed thyroid output, called Euthyroid Sick Syndrome.

My personal experience with it was doing a very low calorie keto diet for a year. Towards the end, I was cold all of the time, gained weight despite eating the same as when I was losing, chronic fatigue. My thyroid levels did not come back up when I added carbs back in and I have been on Levothyroxine for the last three years. It makes losing weight a bitch. I'm pretty pissed at myself for not considering that maybe doing a diet that mimics starvation might just have hormonal consequences.

People need to make their own decisions but it seems like a lot of people jump into keto with no idea what they're doing just because it's a hot diet right now.

One other thing to consider is that fat has almost zero nutrients in it so if that makes a big part of your diet, make sure you eat a lot of veggies to get some vitamins and minerals.

O.city
02-22-2018, 12:41 PM
Yeah, I'm technically not doing keto because I'm eating a lot of protein. But it sounds fun to say. lol.

Frosty
02-22-2018, 12:42 PM
I I think that Doctors Michael and Mary Dan Eades program is dead on. 20 plus years later their facts are still facts.

http://i65.tinypic.com/33csugx.jpg

Coogs
02-22-2018, 02:21 PM
Congrats! Are you working out as well?

Thanks!

No. Not right now. I plan on starting to walk, and then jog in about a month when the weather warms up, and when the time "springs" forward. So it will be lighter at night when I get home form work.

MahiMike
02-22-2018, 03:33 PM

Teach me how to count.

BWillie
04-05-2018, 11:33 AM
Would like to get some more information about fasting and what ways to go about it to reduce your triglyceride level. I've heard fasting can reduce TG's quite a bit. How long should I fast? How often? The thing is, I don't want to lose weight. I'm 5'11'' and 178 lbs. I'd rather not be even more slender. I work out about once a week. I'm in my early 30's.

Last year suddenly my triglycerides jumped 100 points to 243. I thought it was just because I was coming off of a Las Vegas bender when I got my blood test done. Nonetheless, in the last year, I changed my diet for the better, quite drastically. While I do eat out all the time, I almost never go to traditional fast food places (chipolte (only chicken & brown rice, nothing else), whole foods to go bowls, panda express (only teryiaki chicken & brown rice). And when I do eat out, I make huge variations to my meals so that they are clean. I've also at least tripled the amount of fiber I consume. The only soda I drink is 2 energy drinks a week and the rest of the time water or La Croix sparkling water. No soda, ever. With that all said, I got my triglycerides checked again and they rose yet again to 263. It seems like whatever I do with my diet seems to not matter at all.

For breakfast I usually eat a Perfect Bar https://perfectbar.com/ & drink a La Croix sparkling water with no artificial sweetners or sugar. I'll snack on some cashews sometimes when I'm on the couch.

For lunch I'll eat either grilled chicken & brown rice, teriyaki salmon & brown rice w/ veggies, grilled chicken wrap with avocado, romaine. I'll have a avocado, almond, smoothie from Tropical Cafe twice a week. I never eat cheese. I don't put sauce on anything except teryiaki salmon. My food is all bland.

For supper my girlfriend cooks me food twice a week, so that is the least healthiest food I eat during the week. But it's usually just something like grilled chicken and baked potato, grilled pork chop & rice, chicken noodle soup, or at worst some spaghetti.

I'd say on avg I drink alcohol once a week sometimes I go 3-4 weeks without drinking, some weeks I'll drink twice, and I've switched to mainly red wine cuz that supposed to be healthier. On the weekends is the only time I don't really eat that well. I'll have something like steak and fries, ribs & fries, chicken fajita & chips. On occasion I'll have an ice creme concrete or something on a Saturday or Sunday. But usually there is only TWO meals a week that are like that. On Thursday and Saturday evenings I have an energy drink. That is it.

Pitt Gorilla
04-05-2018, 11:50 AM
Oops. Read as intermittent fisting. Carry on.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-05-2018, 05:17 PM
Would like to get some more information about fasting and what ways to go about it to reduce your triglyceride level. I've heard fasting can reduce TG's quite a bit. How long should I fast? How often? The thing is, I don't want to lose weight. I'm 5'11'' and 178 lbs. I'd rather not be even more slender. I work out about once a week. I'm in my early 30's.

Last year suddenly my triglycerides jumped 100 points to 243. I thought it was just because I was coming off of a Las Vegas bender when I got my blood test done. Nonetheless, in the last year, I changed my diet for the better, quite drastically. While I do eat out all the time, I almost never go to traditional fast food places (chipolte (only chicken & brown rice, nothing else), whole foods to go bowls, panda express (only teryiaki chicken & brown rice). And when I do eat out, I make huge variations to my meals so that they are clean. I've also at least tripled the amount of fiber I consume. The only soda I drink is 2 energy drinks a week and the rest of the time water or La Croix sparkling water. No soda, ever. With that all said, I got my triglycerides checked again and they rose yet again to 263. It seems like whatever I do with my diet seems to not matter at all.

For breakfast I usually eat a Perfect Bar https://perfectbar.com/ & drink a La Croix sparkling water with no artificial sweetners or sugar. I'll snack on some cashews sometimes when I'm on the couch.

For lunch I'll eat either grilled chicken & brown rice, teriyaki salmon & brown rice w/ veggies, grilled chicken wrap with avocado, romaine. I'll have a avocado, almond, smoothie from Tropical Cafe twice a week. I never eat cheese. I don't put sauce on anything except teryiaki salmon. My food is all bland.

For supper my girlfriend cooks me food twice a week, so that is the least healthiest food I eat during the week. But it's usually just something like grilled chicken and baked potato, grilled pork chop & rice, chicken noodle soup, or at worst some spaghetti.

I'd say on avg I drink alcohol once a week sometimes I go 3-4 weeks without drinking, some weeks I'll drink twice, and I've switched to mainly red wine cuz that supposed to be healthier. On the weekends is the only time I don't really eat that well. I'll have something like steak and fries, ribs & fries, chicken fajita & chips. On occasion I'll have an ice creme concrete or something on a Saturday or Sunday. But usually there is only TWO meals a week that are like that. On Thursday and Saturday evenings I have an energy drink. That is it.

You're full of shit. If thats your diet your triglycerides aren't 243. Unless it's the rice. rice is not good for you.

Try taking some fish oil.

BWillie
04-05-2018, 06:37 PM
You're full of shit. If thats your diet your triglycerides aren't 243. Unless it's the rice. rice is not good for you.

Try taking some fish oil.

Thats literally exactly what I eat. Have very little healthy cholesterol, but dont have high cholesterol yet. 115/70 blood pressure but eventually I would imagine those numbers will all go up. I actually do take fish oil too, as of 8 months ago. Usually about 4 times a week and I forget on weekends.

MahiMike
04-05-2018, 06:46 PM
Some folks just have naturally high cholesterol. My dad eats bacon and eggs every day and his is 150. I eat very healthy and mine is 250.

I don't really care. High cholesterol meds are a scam by the pharmaceutical companies.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-05-2018, 07:51 PM
Thats literally exactly what I eat. Have very little healthy cholesterol, but dont have high cholesterol yet. 115/70 blood pressure but eventually I would imagine those numbers will all go up. I actually do take fish oil too, as of 8 months ago. Usually about 4 times a week and I forget on weekends.

You gotta be takin in something with high fructose corn syrup for it to be high. My wifes TG was over 500 but she drinks Dr.Pepper all fucking day .Like a 3 liter bottle every day. The doc put her on fish oil and it cut in half but The root cause is the pop and she doesn't care enough to quit.

Hog's Gone Fishin
04-05-2018, 07:59 PM
Some folks just have naturally high cholesterol. My dad eats bacon and eggs every day and his is 150. I eat very healthy and mine is 250.

I don't really care. High cholesterol meds are a scam by the pharmaceutical companies.

My cholesterol always,always has run 280, no matter my diet. I can't tolerate statins so I qualified for Praluent which cut it in half. But my triglycerides have always been under 100 because I eat healthy fat in my diet regularly. Salmon,avacados,almonds and olive oil to cook.

BWillie
04-06-2018, 03:59 AM
You gotta be takin in something with high fructose corn syrup for it to be high. My wifes TG was over 500 but she drinks Dr.Pepper all ****ing day .Like a 3 liter bottle every day. The doc put her on fish oil and it cut in half but The root cause is the pop and she doesn't care enough to quit.

Why kind of fish oil? I just take some fish oil in gel capsule from Target.

I intentionally never drink anything with high fructose corn syrup. I just drink lots of Key Lime La Croix. Even the two energy drinks I drink a week have no high fructose corn syrup. I guess Ill keep trying and see if it will go down by 2019, otherwise I guess Ill have to go to the dr and get those cancer causing trygliceride lowering medicine.

rabblerouser
04-06-2018, 05:31 AM
The only time I eat is if I haven't eaten the day before.

teedubya
07-12-2018, 05:24 PM
I've been doing an extended fast, and cleaning up my system.

I've currently gone 282 hours without a solid meal. I've been only drinking water with electrolytes and chicken bone broth.

My brain has been very clear and extremely focused. My productivity has been through the charts.

After I break this fast on Sunday, I'll do one meal a day for 5 days a week and then whatever on the weekends.

I'll also do at least a three day fast each month from now on. It's really good for your body. Especially when you hit autophagy.

ThaVirus
07-12-2018, 06:59 PM

I've currently gone 282 hours without a solid meal. I've been only drinking water with electrolytes and chicken bone broth.

My brain has been very clear and extremely focused. My productivity has been through the charts.

After I break this fast on Sunday, I'll do one meal a day for 5 days a week and then whatever on the weekends.

I'll also do at least a three day fast each month from now on. It's really good for your body. Especially when you hit autophagy.

Seems excessive.

I'm assuming you're taking multivitamins to supplement this broth? What are you weighing these days?

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-12-2018, 07:14 PM

Holy shit. Thats 11.75 days . And what the hell is autophagy ? Sounds gay?

Edit: never mind, it's not gey. https://idmprogram.com/fasting-and-autophagy-fasting-25/

Although I'd like to hear more about how you prepare your bone broth.

MahiMike
07-12-2018, 07:44 PM
I've lost 10 lbs recently by doing the Fit Father's Program. Basically I eat a lot of water. Smoothie around noon, sandwich at 3:00 dinner at 7:00.

I'm addicted to water now.

lewdog
07-12-2018, 07:58 PM
Seems excessive.

I'm assuming you're taking multivitamins to supplement this broth? What are you weighing these days?

It is excessive. There's no reason to do these longs fasts or cleanses. If you like doing them and you think they make you feel good, fine.

Better plan is learning to eat right to lose weight (read bodyfat). Learn to exercise and maintain some muscle mass and keep your bodyfat in check.

Those I hear about or see doing theses long fasts or cleanses are usually overweight people grasping at what they hope is the next miracle fix in a long line of their failed attempts.

Tribal Warfare
07-12-2018, 08:24 PM
I'm addicted to water now.

add brewed unsweetened green tea, and 5 Hour Energy Extra Strength for me on my low calorie rest days.

scho63
07-12-2018, 10:02 PM
I'm stuck at around a 65-70 pound weight loss when I want to loss a total of 90-100. I'm tempted to do another long water only fast to break below a certain weight level.

Danguardace
07-13-2018, 04:38 AM
I've progressed from the 16:8/18:6 to now One Meal A Day (OMAD)

Which I found surprisingly easy.

Couch-Potato
07-13-2018, 04:44 AM
Tried this for about a month and went well. I work out 3 days a week and would have protein shake in the am on those days but complete fast from 8pm-noon on other days. Go for it, key is to try and get a bit of cardio work in during the early am and then make sure that first meal is super clean.

Eureka
07-13-2018, 06:27 AM
It is excessive. There's no reason to do these longs fasts or cleanses. If you like doing them and you think they make you feel good, fine.

A 7 day water only fast cured my digestive issue I’d been having the past few years. I’m a trim dude with some muscle and fasting was a great experience physically as well as mentally. I’d recommend it to anyone but I’m sure it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Rausch
07-13-2018, 07:32 AM
A 7 day water only fast cured my digestive issue I’d been having the past few years. I’m a trim dude with some muscle and fasting was a great experience physically as well as mentally. I’d recommend it to anyone but I’m sure it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

I did a 10 day and it was the best I've slept in years.

I'll be doing another starting the 15th. My insomnia is killing me lately...

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-13-2018, 08:20 AM
Thinking about doing the 7 day Vodka challenge.

SuperBowl4
07-13-2018, 09:37 AM
You gotta be takin in something with high fructose corn syrup for it to be high. My wifes TG was over 500 but she drinks Dr.Pepper all ****ing day .Like a 3 liter bottle every day. The doc put her on fish oil and it cut in half but The root cause is the pop and she doesn't care enough to quit.Tell her to mix that Dr Pepper with JAMESON IRISH WHISKEY but not all ****ing day :BLVD:

Dante84
07-13-2018, 11:34 AM
Didn't read the thread, but has anyone made an "Intermittent Fisting" joke yet?

Tribal Warfare
07-13-2018, 12:06 PM

1000-1200 calories is my threshold when I'm cutting weight. so I can getaway with 2 meals.

teedubya
07-13-2018, 01:25 PM

Better plan is learning to eat right to lose weight (read bodyfat). Learn to exercise and maintain some muscle mass and keep your bodyfat in check.

Those I hear about or see doing theses long fasts or cleanses are usually overweight people grasping at what they hope is the next miracle fix in a long line of their failed attempts.

I am exercising quite a bit... my upper body is gaining a lot of strength.

Fasting has happened for 1000s of years. Our body isn't meant to be a in fed-state all of the time. You're running narratives.

Fasting is the best medicine. The only reason they are demonized, is because if everyone fasted, the poor food companies would lose money. Oh, and pharmaceutical companies like to prescribe medications instead of cleaning out your system regularly.

Do your research, please.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-health-benefits-of-intermittent-fasting

teedubya
07-13-2018, 01:27 PM

Good for you. The latest research is you can do OMAD for five days, and then on the weekends do what you want, and you get the same benefits.

https://www.reelhouse.org/revenuereserve/fasting

Danguardace
07-13-2018, 02:02 PM
Good for you. The latest research is you can do OMAD for five days, and then on the weekends do what you want, and you get the same benefits.

https://www.reelhouse.org/revenuereserve/fasting

Pretty much what I do, I have breakfast with my wife on Saturday mornings. Sunday's ill probably do 16:8

ThaVirus
07-13-2018, 02:05 PM
"Do your research"

Danguardace
07-13-2018, 02:07 PM

Fasting has happened for 1000s of years. Our body isn't meant to be a in fed-state all of the time. You're running narratives.

Fasting is the best medicine. The only reason they are demonized, is because if everyone fasted, the poor food companies would lose money. Oh, and pharmaceutical companies like to prescribe medications instead of cleaning out your system regularly.

100% agree

The sceptics are always so focused on telling people they are just fat and lazy. Fasting isn't just about losing weight it has a ton of other benefits. And people who fast from my experience are not overweight in fact the opposite it has become very popular within the fitness industry, making it easy to stay lean and achieve fitness goals.

Since fasting I have improved my health suffer less headaches, train better and sleep better.

beach tribe
07-13-2018, 02:09 PM

There are actually some pretty solid studies on how blood types were formed by the foods your ancestors ate and how eating different foods affect those with differing blood types much differently.
This is the theory regarding lactose intolerance.
Some people's ancestors did not have access to dairy and it's not in tune with their evolutionary history.

Danguardace
07-13-2018, 02:15 PM

Problem is eating right has no meaning there is so much disagreement as to what is best.

Meat is bad
Fat is bad
Carbs are bad
Diet sodas are bad
Fruit is bad

Depending on who you listen to.

Hammock Parties
07-13-2018, 02:20 PM
There's a reason why almost ALL the major religions have some kind of fasting component in their rituals.

Mankind has known for a long time it has benefits.

However, teedubya will still be tubby a year from now. LMAO

ThaVirus
07-13-2018, 02:57 PM
100% agree

The sceptics are always so focused on telling people they are just fat and lazy. Fasting isn't just about losing weight it has a ton of other benefits. And people who fast from my experience are not overweight in fact the opposite it has become very popular within the fitness industry, making it easy to stay lean and achieve fitness goals.

Since fasting I have improved my health suffer less headaches, train better and sleep better.

I don't think anyone would argue against intermittent fasting, but that's not what T's doing.

Going 10 days without food isn't something many legitimate scientific sources would recommend.

ThaVirus
07-13-2018, 03:06 PM
There are actually some pretty solid studies on how blood types were formed by the foods your ancestors ate and how eating different foods affect those with differing blood types much differently.
This is the theory regarding lactose intolerance.
Some people's ancestors did not have access to dairy and it's not in tune with their evolutionary history.

Do you have a source?

Blood type percentages seem fairly consistent across the globe.

https://www.redcrossblood.org/content/dam/redcrossblood/rcb/donate-blood/components/blood-types-US-red.png.transform/1288/q70/feature/image.png

Eureka
07-13-2018, 03:12 PM
I don't think anyone would argue against intermittent fasting, but that's not what T's doing.

Going 10 days without food isn't something many legitimate scientific sources would recommend.

Humans in history would have done it like hunter gathers. In Russia and Germany they have clinics that do 1-4 week fastings to cure ailments. I watched a documentary about fasting and it seemed very interesting with some scientific facts including studies.

Fasting for 21 days might cure/help depression?

lewdog
07-13-2018, 08:13 PM

I do intermittent fasting myself and have for years. I eat all my calories in an 8 hour window almost every day. I lift weights and maintain a fairly decent physique doing this. Yes there are some health benefits to this as well.

I am talking about the benefits of these multi-day fasts and things like like "cleansing" with juice and broth for days. It's retarded. Your body cleanses itself all the time. You don't need to restrict your diet severely for days on end. That's a fact and not a false narrative.

lewdog
07-13-2018, 08:19 PM
There's a reason why almost ALL the major religions have some kind of fasting component in their rituals.

Mankind has known for a long time it has benefits.

However, teedubya will still be tubby a year from now. LMAO

I love when people talk about some health idea or thing they are doing yet are still over-weight.

Wanna know the best thing you can do for your health....don't be fat!!!

ThaVirus
07-13-2018, 10:39 PM
Humans in history would have done it like hunter gathers. In Russia and Germany they have clinics that do 1-4 week fastings to cure ailments. I watched a documentary about fasting and it seemed very interesting with some scientific facts including studies.

Fasting for 21 days might cure/help depression?

What's the science behind it?

Eureka
07-14-2018, 12:30 AM
What's the science behind it?

I’m no expert on this subject. In the documentary there was a Russian doctor who ran fasting trials/experiments after WW2. Since the Soviet Union was closed off to the rest of the world these trials were not shared with the world until recently. Maybe google something about “Russian fasting Docotor” if you want to learn more. His research is available on the net.

What I do know is fasting cured my digestive problems I’d been having for 2 years. When I went to the doc they said it was normal and that I was to young (35) to worry about it. Basically my poop was no longer solid like it always had been and was coming out squishy and I’d also experience constipation here and there. I just noticed/felt something wasn’t right with my system. After fasting for 7 days my #2 went back to how it used to be. I also learned a lot about my food intake/thinking of food.

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-05-2018, 04:54 PM
A REALLY good video here:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/PKfR6bAXr-c" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Demonpenz
08-05-2018, 08:52 PM
I don't know whats going on here but Silock and Big Daddy are the dudes on this one.

Titty Meat
08-05-2018, 11:08 PM
I havent been doing IF like I should but ive been getting fucking jacked this summer doing upper lower splits as Lew suggested. Arms popping so are calves. Quads are coming in nicely. A consistent meal plan (lew hmu!) and ill be looking right.

Rausch
08-07-2018, 02:00 PM
I don't know whats going on here but Silock and Big Daddy are the dudes on this one.

A great documentary for those new to the subject.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/t1b08X-GvRs" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hog's Gone Fishin
11-13-2018, 10:12 AM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/u0qaaaU9NPU" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mnchiefsguy
11-13-2018, 11:30 AM
I do intermittent fasting myself and have for years. I eat all my calories in an 8 hour window almost every day. I lift weights and maintain a fairly decent physique doing this. Yes there are some health benefits to this as well.

I am talking about the benefits of these multi-day fasts and things like like "cleansing" with juice and broth for days. It's retarded. Your body cleanses itself all the time. You don't need to restrict your diet severely for days on end. That's a fact and not a false narrative.

Hey Lew,

If someone was wanting to start doing some weight training (complete noob), what would be the best way to start?

I have dropped around 30 pounds (I am at 259 lbs at the moment), and feel I am at a point where I have more energy and want to start improving myself, and I figured building muscle might be a good place start.

Thanks in advance!

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-03-2019, 06:13 AM
I started another fast yesterday. Last meal was Friday afternoon. Just going to go three days unless I feel really awesome at the end then maybe 4 or 5 days. Drinking water only with a little pink himalayan salt once daily. Multivitamin +potassium and magnesium.

ThaVirus
03-03-2019, 07:17 AM
I started another fast yesterday. Last meal was Friday afternoon. Just going to go three days unless I feel really awesome at the end then maybe 4 or 5 days. Drinking water only with a little pink himalayan salt once daily. Multivitamin +potassium and magnesium.

Admittedly, I don't know shit about dieting, but fasting for four or five days doesn't sound ideal.

Why not just restrict your caloric intake to, like, 1200 calories a day or something? Give yourself a four to six hour window to eat so you can still fast if it makes you feel better.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-03-2019, 11:24 AM
Admittedly, I don't know shit about dieting, but fasting for four or five days doesn't sound ideal.

Why not just restrict your caloric intake to, like, 1200 calories a day or something? Give yourself a four to six hour window to eat so you can still fast if it makes you feel better.

It's all about Autophagy and resetting your self my friend.

NewChief
03-04-2019, 07:17 AM

Like he said, it's about ketosis, autophagy, etc...

Tim Ferriss is a sucker for a lot of fad diets, but he (and a lot of other life optimizers) all swear by doing long periods of fasting/ketosis once a year or so in order to encourage autophagy of precancer as well as a bunch of other supposed health benefits.

suzzer99
03-04-2019, 01:11 PM
I've been doing 16-hour fast for the last 3 weeks. Of course the first week some shit went down at work, and everyone else in my life decided to pounce at the same time. Why does that always happen every time I start a new diet? I was grumpy/obsessed for like 5 days (I call it the hamster wheel in my brain that won't stop spinning no matter how much I want it to). But I pushed past it. I've felt pretty good since then and have been managing the stress much better.

I think one of the things I did wrong that first week was I didn't eat enough. After the first couple nights of going 16 hours without food, my stomach shrank a bunch and I just didn't feel very hungry. My normal lunch seemed like a ton of food. So I wasn't eating very much in that 4pm meal. But ultimately the calorie deficit + dealing with work and other kinds of stress - sent me into orbit. Now I'm making sure to eat a decent meal at 4pm.

This weekend I slept 10-11 hours per night. Must be my body catching up on something. I figured if it wants to sleep let's just sleep.

Hoover
03-04-2019, 01:13 PM
I just started a 16 hour fast thing today.

ThaVirus
03-04-2019, 01:51 PM

Tim Ferriss is a sucker for a lot of fad diets, but he (and a lot of other life optimizers) all swear by doing long periods of fasting/ketosis once a year or so in order to encourage autophagy of precancer as well as a bunch of other supposed health benefits.

I’ve heard a three-day fast causes your body to replace all of it’s white blood cells, which could be handy for someone going through chemo and needs a hard immune system reset. I couldn’t find a ton of science to back it up but whatever works.

htismaqe
03-04-2019, 01:53 PM

You can induce ketosis without fasting, though. Fasting for more than 3 days really isn't a good idea.

suzzer99
03-04-2019, 02:00 PM
I drink a 16 oz. Diet Dr. Pepper every day at lunch. I also drink diet Red Bulls when I go hiking. Am I going to get cancer?

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-04-2019, 02:01 PM
I’ve heard a three-day fast causes your body to replace all of it’s white blood cells, which could be handy for someone going through chemo and needs a hard immune system reset. I couldn’t find a ton of science to back it up but whatever works.

I fasted for 3 days and my penis looked bigger.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-04-2019, 02:03 PM
You can induce ketosis without fasting, though. Fasting for more than 3 days really isn't a good idea.

There's lots of (youtube) info that says it can be very beneficial if you do it correctly.

Marco Polo
03-04-2019, 02:05 PM
I've been doing IF since December and love it.

J Diddy
03-04-2019, 02:24 PM

Well see, it’s worth it.

O.city
03-04-2019, 02:38 PM
I've been doing IF since December and love it.

I've done it for about a year.

I don't mind it at all but I've never been a big breakfast guy anyway so it's not a big deal .

ThaVirus
03-04-2019, 02:41 PM

Well, sounds like you’re overweight so fasting for a few days probably won’t hurt lol

tooge
03-04-2019, 03:18 PM
So I'm 52 yo, I work out 5-6 days per week with 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes of strength training. I'd say I eat pretty healthy most of the week. I have either oatmeal and berries for breakfast, or three eggs and a few berries. I have a spinach salad with tons of veggies and a homemade olive oil and vinegar dressing used sparingly, and I generally eat a lean protein and some veggies for dinner. I do splurge once or twice a week and make something not as healthy, but usually even then I try to make it as healthy as possible. Little to no fried foods. I'm a pretty fit guy. My achilles heel is beer for sure. I often drink 12-15 beers throughout the weekend.

So, I've not tried the fasting thing but I am intrigued. So, I can eat whatever I want as long as it's between noon and 8pm? I can get down on spagetti and meatballs, or cheeseburgers, or pizza? Beer? I mean, everyone saying they are losing weight on the 16:8 diet seems weird to me unless they are modifying caloric intake?

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-04-2019, 03:35 PM
So I'm 52 yo, I work out 5-6 days per week with 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes of strength training. I'd say I eat pretty healthy most of the week. I have either oatmeal and berries for breakfast, or three eggs and a few berries. I have a spinach salad with tons of veggies and a homemade olive oil and vinegar dressing used sparingly, and I generally eat a lean protein and some veggies for dinner. I do splurge once or twice a week and make something not as healthy, but usually even then I try to make it as healthy as possible. Little to no fried foods. I'm a pretty fit guy. My achilles heel is beer for sure. I often drink 12-15 beers throughout the weekend.

So, I've not tried the fasting thing but I am intrigued. So, I can eat whatever I want as long as it's between noon and 8pm? I can get down on spagetti and meatballs, or cheeseburgers, or pizza? Beer? I mean, everyone saying they are losing weight on the 16:8 diet seems weird to me unless they are modifying caloric intake?

No. You still have to eat right.

htismaqe
03-04-2019, 03:36 PM
There's lots of (youtube) info that says it can be very beneficial if you do it correctly.

There's a lot of Youtube videos that assert the earth is flat, too...

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-04-2019, 03:38 PM
There's a lot of Youtube videos that assert the earth is flat, too...

The Earth is Flat. Take a picture. Print it out. Lay it on the table. Perfectly flat.

Moons flat too. So is the sun.

tooge
03-04-2019, 04:34 PM
No. You still have to eat right.

LOL. Then whats the fucking point of it. I'm healthy and I eat three meals a day and two smaller snacks. Usually an apple or a yogurt.

R Clark
03-04-2019, 06:43 PM
Been on a 800 cal. a day , no pork, bread , potatoes very little oils( cooking)lost 25 pounds.Its taken 35 or so days to do it, tough to do at first but you get use to it.i am 59 yrs old ,was slow to realize I could no longer eat like I was 30 lol. Feel a damn site better now but sick of shrimp, fish, chicken.Have freezer full of flathead , but it sucks eating if it’s not battered and fried which is a no no.

Eureka
03-04-2019, 08:56 PM
I’m going to start another 7 day fast this Friday and I might push it to 10 days. Last year I did a 7 day fast (water only) and I felt refreshed physically/mentally.

I really have to psych myself up because it isn’t easy to do but once you get the train rolling it gets more tolerable. Especially after day 3. Day 4-5 I felt a big burst in energy and all my senses were heightened.

Russia and Germany have fasting centers at some hospitals. Here is a fasting documentary I found interesting

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t1b08X-GvRs&t=1432s

Rawlsian
03-04-2019, 09:20 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Remember when Alex Smith came back absolutely ripped following the Chiefs’ loss to the Steelers in January 2017? <br><br>Well, he shared his biggest fat-loss weapon with me, and guess what -Super Bowl MVP Nick Foles does it too: <a href="https://t.co/lpZbDuSw9g">https://t.co/lpZbDuSw9g</a></p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/status/1037844522070417408?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 6, 2018</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-04-2019, 09:34 PM
I’m going to start another 7 day fast this Friday and I might push it to 10 days. Last year I did a 7 day fast (water only) and I felt refreshed physically/mentally.

I really have to psych myself up because it isn’t easy to do but once you get the train rolling it gets more tolerable. Especially after day 3. Day 4-5 I felt a big burst in energy and all my senses were heightened.

Russia and Germany have fasting centers at some hospitals. Here is a fasting documentary I found interesting

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t1b08X-GvRs&t=1432s

I made it into day 3 this time but not 3 full days. My wifes an asshole and made meatloaf.

Eureka
03-04-2019, 10:16 PM
I made it into day 3 this time but not 3 full days. My wifes an asshole and made meatloaf.

My first fast was 3 days. You’ll know what to expect next time.

So your wife tested you huh. How sweet of her.

R Clark
03-04-2019, 11:03 PM
My first fast was 3 days. You’ll know what to expect next time.

So your wife tested you huh. How sweet of her.

Fuc’@ that , my wife brought home Girl Scout cookies, crackers and shit we can’t eat.i blamed her pissed off cause she hadn’t lost the weight I had. As you can tell bourbon ain’t included in the do without line

penguinz
03-05-2019, 07:36 AM
I made it into day 3 this time but not 3 full days. My wifes an asshole and made meatloaf.Meatloaf should be a reason to keep fasting. Should only be consumed in a survival situation.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-05-2019, 07:40 AM
What is the minimum amount of time to benefit from IF?

I am generally a later eater. I skip breakfast and will eat lunch around 1pm. But I don't eat dinner until about 8pm.

thecoffeeguy
03-05-2019, 09:47 AM
What is the minimum amount of time to benefit from IF?

I am generally a later eater. I skip breakfast and will eat lunch around 1pm. But I don't eat dinner until about 8pm.

I think the 30 hour mark is where the benefits/healing start to happen.

I've been doing a lot of reading/research on this, testing it. The readings that I have read mention fasting (just water only) needs to be at least 30 hours for benefits to kick in.

not promoting this in anyway, but check out bulletproof diet. I stumbled across it awhile back and they have some cool charts to help with things like fasting and such.

HTH

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-05-2019, 10:21 AM
I think the 30 hour mark is where the benefits/healing start to happen.

I've been doing a lot of reading/research on this, testing it. The readings that I have read mention fasting (just water only) needs to be at least 30 hours for benefits to kick in.

not promoting this in anyway, but check out bulletproof diet. I stumbled across it awhile back and they have some cool charts to help with things like fasting and such.

HTH

If you're actually fasting, bulletproof coffee will put calories in your system from the butter and oil and will break your fast. I've also read that autophagy will kick in as little as 16 hours into a fast while I've also read it takes 3 days to kick in. Who the hell knows. I know i feel a lot better after a 3 day fast.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-05-2019, 11:03 AM
So you aren’t eating anything for 3 days?

How in the hell...?

ThaVirus
03-05-2019, 11:41 AM
I’m a small dude so I go without a meal for like 8 hours and I start to get a dull headache.

I’m sure it would go away at some point but I just can’t deal.

saphojunkie
03-05-2019, 11:56 AM
Here is one of the greatest fighters in history talking about IF:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/5uS9IeDn6n8" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kcxiv
03-05-2019, 12:12 PM
I’m a small dude so I go without a meal for like 8 hours and I start to get a dull headache.

I’m sure it would go away at some point but I just can’t deal.its not for everyone thats for sure, some people need to snack on at least something every now and again. I tried it for a bit, its pretty hard to do at first. If you are someone with insomnia at times its absolutely sucks and you are hungry as fuck alot of the times.

If anyone is really looking on how to lose weight, i highly encourage people to look up Michael Jai White on youtube, Dude constantly puts out videos about fitness/fighting

Tribal Warfare
03-05-2019, 12:16 PM

How in the hell...?

That's easy, but beyond 3 it's hard because you'll start getting light headed and dizzy.

Frosty
03-05-2019, 12:22 PM
LOL. Then whats the fucking point of it. I'm healthy and I eat three meals a day and two smaller snacks. Usually an apple or a yogurt.

It's not a magic bullet. It's just a trick to help lower calories. If you binge like crazy during your eating window, you will still gain weight. There can be some health benefits besides weight loss when fasting a little longer (30-48 hours, iirc) like autophagy but according to a study that came out in the last couple of years, fasting longer that three days can start to be harmful.

Frosty
03-05-2019, 12:27 PM
That's easy, but beyond 3 it's hard because you'll start getting light headed and dizzy.

I did okay for three days once but absolutely hit the wall at that point. It takes roughly three days of fasting to deplete the glycogen in your liver and muscles (assuming sedentary lifestyle) so that is probably why. You start running on ketones and glucose made from protein and it's harder to keep the glucose for your brain up. That's what causes the fuzzy thinking and dizziness.

suzzer99
03-05-2019, 12:48 PM
I'd like someone to explain to me why my body thinks it's so damn important to store fat, but would rather have me pass out and/or get homicidal before it uses any of these copious reserves for energy.

Carlota69
03-05-2019, 01:28 PM

I have researched it quite a bit and am willing to give it a try. I will probably do the 16:8 plan. Sixteen hours fasting, eight hour window to eat. My plan, and it will probably change, is to eat two meals totaling around 1600 calories between 11 AM-7PM. I plan on drinking a shit ton of water to help and possible supplement an occasional caffeine pill in the morning.

I have friend who has been doing this for a year. Hes been on the 18-6 fast and hes lost over 80lbs. He eats whatever he wants but hes found that he isnt super hungry during his eating times.
I decided to try it a couple of weeks ago (Feb 11th to be exact) but Im doing 16-8, and so far Ive lost 6 lbs, which is a lot for me.
Im gonna stick with it and see if it keeps working bc so far, so good.:D

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-05-2019, 05:12 PM
I did okay for three days once but absolutely hit the wall at that point. It takes roughly three days of fasting to deplete the glycogen in your liver and muscles (assuming sedentary lifestyle) so that is probably why. You start running on ketones and glucose made from protein and it's harder to keep the glucose for your brain up. That's what causes the fuzzy thinking and dizziness.

I add a little pink salt to some water and take a potassium and magnesium supplement when I fast thus getting electrolytes. Helps a lot.

Mr_Tomahawk
03-05-2019, 08:54 PM
The 8/16 looks much much more manageable.

Eureka
03-05-2019, 09:09 PM
Bunch of pussys can’t even go more than a few days/hours without food!

Srsly though it seems different strategies work for different people. You just gotta try and find what works for you. Lots of information out there.

I might try the 18-6 after my fast. Interesting stuff.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-05-2019, 09:49 PM
I've been kind of intrigued by the Wim Hoff methods he uses to control healing and inflammation. I dont know if its bullshit or not but its really interesting. Anybody into Wim Hoff?

htismaqe
03-05-2019, 10:25 PM
Every time I see this thread in the Lounge list, I see "Life - Intermittent Fisting".

Hoover
03-05-2019, 10:52 PM
The 8/16 looks much much more manageable.

Just started it, not too bad if you ask me. Set to be on it for 43 days

Mahomes15MyHomes
03-06-2019, 12:08 AM
i might give this a shot too sometime this month

KChiefs1
03-06-2019, 09:11 AM
I only eat noon - 6pm.

Hoover
03-06-2019, 09:22 AM
So I'm doing a pretty strict diet with my 8:16

I'm on a bunch of supplements, then I have two means a day that consists of 4oz protein, 4 oz of fruit, and 4 oz of veg. I can also add a bunch of free veg like spinach, lettuce, red onion, and mushrooms. So I basically make a mess of sautéed onions and mushrooms every night. I also do kryothreapy (SP?) once a day, which supposably burns 500-800 calories a session. Drink only water (like 150 oz a day), so I' pretty sure my body is saying something like, WTF, I guess we have to burn the fat today.

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-06-2019, 03:02 PM
So I'm doing a pretty strict diet with my 8:16

I'm on a bunch of supplements, then I have two means a day that consists of 4oz protein, 4 oz of fruit, and 4 oz of veg. I can also add a bunch of free veg like spinach, lettuce, red onion, and mushrooms. So I basically make a mess of sautéed onions and mushrooms every night. I also do kryothreapy (SP?) once a day, which supposably burns 500-800 calories a session. Drink only water (like 150 oz a day), so I' pretty sure my body is saying something like, WTF, I guess we have to burn the fat today.

How long is a Kryotherapy session? What does it cost?

eDave
03-06-2019, 05:12 PM
FWIW, I sleep a lot through my fasting. Big reason is that I can get a migraine in the eyes when I don't eat for a day. Best to sleep through those.

I take a few days off.

Tribal Warfare
03-06-2019, 08:17 PM
Every time I see this thread in the Lounge list, I see "Life - Intermittent Fisting".

This thread would've most definitely be located in the Pics forum if that was the case

threebag
03-07-2019, 07:22 AM
I only eat noon - 6pm.

Oh yeah, opens up a little more time for intermittent fisting :thumb:

suzzer99
03-07-2019, 09:47 AM
This cryotherapy burns 500-800 calories? https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319740.php

The most popular form of cryotherapy involves sitting in a cryotherapy booth for 3–5 minutes.

Hoover
03-07-2019, 10:01 AM
How long is a Kryotherapy session? What does it cost?
Max is 3 mins.

I think they do an entry level rate at $25 bucks per session or something.

Hoover
03-07-2019, 10:04 AM
This cryotherapy burns 500-800 calories? https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319740.php
Yeah who knows. I'm sure my diet and fasting contributes more to weight loss than freezing my ass off.

Eureka
03-15-2019, 11:23 AM
I’m going to finish my water only fast at 8 days today. I feel very energetic today even though I haven’t eaten any food for 8 days. So far I’ve lost around 17lbs but I’m sure I’ll gain a few back once I eat.

I also feel very refreshed and my body feels light. I’m going to break my fast with some real beef broth and a juiced mix of greens/plain yogurt. I’ll have some thin soup later after that with some fruit. I’ll be able to eat normal stuff tmrw such as a yummy salad and work my way to a steak Sunday.

Water fasting is interesting stuff!

Hoover
03-15-2019, 11:32 AM
Im on day 12 for my 16:8 intermittent fasting - I'm down 20 lbs on that. Overall down 30 lbs since Feb 14. I have plenty to lose, but the intermittent fasting has been remarkable.

SupDock
03-15-2019, 12:06 PM
Im on day 12 for my 16:8 intermittent fasting - I'm down 20 lbs on that. Overall down 30 lbs since Feb 14. I have plenty to lose, but the intermittent fasting has been remarkable.

I have been messing around with it and have lost 40 lbs in 5 months. It really has worked for me.

Hoover
03-15-2019, 12:21 PM
I have been messing around with it and have lost 40 lbs in 5 months. It really has worked for me.
It sounds like it would be difficult, but with my schedule its perfect. I'm pissed I didn't look into this sooner.

Aspengc8
03-15-2019, 12:22 PM
who would have thought that skipping a meal would lead to weight loss? Crazyness!

SupDock
03-15-2019, 12:25 PM
It sounds like it would be difficult, but with my schedule its perfect. I'm pissed I didn't look into this sooner.

Mine too, I normal eat lunch at 1, so morning fasting gave me an easy window

threebag
03-15-2019, 12:49 PM
I eat very irregular. I skip many meals especially when I am busy. Most of the time I usually eat only dinner. Idle time is when I catch myself snacking and eating more with no discipline. I will never remove from my diet whole milk, I can drink the living shit out of some milk.

SupDock
03-15-2019, 12:50 PM
I eat very irregular. I skip many meals especially when I am busy. Idle time is when I catch myself snacking and eating more with no discipline. I will never remove from my diet whole milk, I can drink the living shit out of some milk.

You could try fairlife milk.

threebag
03-15-2019, 12:52 PM
I have. It’s good too. The chocolate milk is the bomb.

SupDock
03-15-2019, 12:52 PM
I have. It’s good too. The chocolate milk is the bomb.

That chocolate is awesome

Rawlsian
03-15-2019, 05:28 PM
I bet I could do 17-7 no problem. Only thing is I don't need to lose weight so maybe I'll get shredded? Jaj as ja

Danguardace
03-20-2019, 10:35 AM
3 Hours away from completing my first 72 hour fast. I actually feel I could go longer but I'll save that for next time.

2nd day was a bit tough but on the whole fairly comfortable.

threebag
03-20-2019, 11:58 AM
3 Hours away from completing my first 72 hour fast. I actually feel I could go longer but I'll save that for next time.

2nd day was a bit tough but on the whole fairly comfortable.

Go right in with some Taco Bell, really clean that shit out

thecoffeeguy
03-20-2019, 12:05 PM
If you're actually fasting, bulletproof coffee will put calories in your system from the butter and oil and will break your fast. I've also read that autophagy will kick in as little as 16 hours into a fast while I've also read it takes 3 days to kick in. Who the hell knows. I know i feel a lot better after a 3 day fast.

yep..when i fast, i eat nothing and drink only water.
i use the bulletproof stuff when i am out of my fast.
first time i did it, i was amazed how much better I felt after 3 days...

thecoffeeguy
03-20-2019, 12:07 PM

How in the hell...?

easier than it sounds

the key for me to kick off my fast is to eat my last meal, no later than 7pm
then start the clock

its easier to wake up the next day and start drinking water. By the afternoon, i can feel my body shift to burning fat and my energy level kicks up quite a bit.

Danguardace
03-20-2019, 01:51 PM
Go right in with some Taco Bell, really clean that shit out

Cashew nuts, Pork belly and cauliflower rice:D

SLAG
11-11-2019, 10:32 PM
Been on Carnivore with defacto IF since Aug 2018
Here are a few before / after pics.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49052538651_b1256ce6d1_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/49015358913_a39a6a27ae_b.jpg