PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Smart clock management

TribalElder
10-29-2018, 10:09 AM
Gurley goes down after the first down instead of scoring to kill the clock and win the game

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Todd Gurley seals the game with a first down and the Rams are 8-0 🔥 <a href="https://twitter.com/TG3II?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TG3II</a> <a href="https://t.co/gx2zVNbJky">pic.twitter.com/gx2zVNbJky</a></p>&mdash; The Checkdown (@thecheckdown) <a href="https://twitter.com/thecheckdown/status/1056693684404535296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 28, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is great clock management. I took heat for suggesting we should have done this at the end of the first half which would have eliminated the donkeys TD going into the locker room at halftime

This type of play is how you kill the clock and beat teams like the patriots who are only going to win if they have the last possession

Shoes
10-29-2018, 10:12 AM
I know you're supposed to respect your elders but this is a shitty thread. Kareem Hunt has done this in the past- also there is a difference between scoring a TD with 50 seconds left in the 2nd quarter (was Watkins supposed to take a knee at the 1?), and Todd Gurley stopping before the endzone when the game is 100% OVER. If Watkins doesn't score a TD there is no guarantee you get back into the endzone- you gotta trust your defense with 50 seconds left to stop the Donks from scoring a TD.

JoeyChuckles
10-29-2018, 10:13 AM
So we're excited that he knows the rules of football?

TambaBerry
10-29-2018, 10:15 AM
they're up by 2 points, if he gets the touchdown the kicker would have to miss the extra point for them to have a shot at losing. I get that is probably a higher percentage but come on man.

RippedmyFlesh
10-29-2018, 10:16 AM
they're up by 2 points, if he gets the touchdown the kicker would have to miss the extra point for them to have a shot at losing. I get that is probably a higher percentage but come on man.

This
You go up 9 game over

DaFace
10-29-2018, 10:17 AM

Option A: Go down. Chances of winning = 100%
Option B: TD. Chances of winning = not 100%

It's minor, sure, but it's still the right decision.

Toto
10-29-2018, 10:24 AM
Second Quarter
The drive - we had all 3 timeouts
1-10 at Denver 14 yard line 1:10 on clock
Mahomes runs to right to the 13 - gains one yard - KC takes immediate time out.

This was the issue - why take it there? I thought Denver took it- then when I saw we did... ugh! Why Andy?

This was the issue- 1:00 left when we took it. And we had all 3 timeouts

If we needed to think about something, then let the clock run to 30 seconds or so, then take it.

BigCatDaddy
10-29-2018, 10:27 AM
The end of the half was managed just fine
Don't be morons.

kccrow
10-29-2018, 10:43 AM

There's still that sliver or doubt in Option A for a fumbled snap on the QB kneel. That said, it was still the better option. Even if a team goes up 9 with 58 seconds left, you could get a quick score against and an onside kick in that time and lose. Gurley made the best play.

TambaBerry
10-29-2018, 10:46 AM

fumble the snap and now you're only up by 2 where a field goal beats you

DaFace
10-29-2018, 10:51 AM
fumble the snap and now you're only up by 2 where a field goal beats youHow often does a botched snap happen on a kneel down? And how often do kickers miss an extra point?

Dartgod
10-29-2018, 11:18 AM
How often does a botched snap happen on a kneel down? And how often do kickers miss an extra point?

I don't know, ask Phillip Rivers. LMAO

DaFace
10-29-2018, 11:21 AM
I don't know, ask Phillip Rivers. LMAO

Yeah, I know it CAN happen, but that's the only time I can think of seeing it. Compare that to missed XPs, which have happened about 5% of the time this year.

Again, the chances of the Rams losing that game were incredibly small at that point regardless of what they did, but I just don't understand why you would ever in the NFL say "I know our chances of winning are lower if we make this decision, but we're gonna do it anyway."

lcarus
10-29-2018, 11:23 AM
Any time you can just go into victory formation and end the game, you do it. Why leave time left where anything can happen? If they miss the XP they're only up 8 and the Packers have a shot. Or if they make the XP the Packers could run back the kickoff for a TD and get an onside and a chance to make a game winning FG. Shit happens. Best to just end it.

ModSocks
10-29-2018, 11:23 AM
Stupid thread. You take the points. There's no promise that you get into the end zone in the next 3 plays.

Imagine if Watkins stops himself on the 1, and then we commit a turnover on the next play? Watkins and the Chiefs would look like complete imbeciles.

The circumstances you're trying to compare aren't even similar. At all.

ModSocks
10-29-2018, 11:27 AM

Regardless, it's not comparable to the halftime scenario that OP is trying to beat his chest too.

lcarus
10-29-2018, 11:27 AM
Stupid thread. You take the points. There's no promise that you get into the end zone in the next 3 plays.

Imagine if Watkins stops himself on the 1, and then we commit a turnover on the next play? Watkins and the Chiefs would look like complete imbeciles.

The circumstances you're trying to compare aren't even similar. At all.

I said the same thing after the Patriots game to the fans who insisted the Chiefs should have killed the clock before scoring the tying TD. So instead of Tyreek scoring on that 70 yard TD with 3 minutes left we should've matriculated the ball down the field. But I'm on the same page as you. Gotta take the TD when you can. Hell there was still 3 minutes left in that game.

ModSocks
10-29-2018, 11:32 AM
I said the same thing after the Patriots game to the fans who insisted the Chiefs should have killed the clock before scoring the tying TD. So instead of Tyreek scoring on that 70 yard TD with 3 minutes left we should've matriculated the ball down the field. But I'm on the same page as you. Gotta take the TD when you can. Hell there was still 3 minutes left in that game.

Even in that scenario, the argument is dumb. Say Tyreek sits down at the 1, that still leaves 2:45 seconds on the clock at least.

Even if you take all 3 downs to score (and there is certainly no promise you'll score), you still give Brady well over a minute + his T.O's to get into FG range.

Tom Brady didn't even need 3:30 to get into FG range. That PATS got into position quickly and killed the clock.

It was a dumb argument after the Pats game, it's a dumb argument today.

lcarus
10-29-2018, 11:37 AM
Even in that scenario, the argument is dumb. Say Tyreek sits down at the 1, that still leaves 2:45 seconds on the clock at least.

Even if you take all 3 downs to score (and there is certainly no promise you'll score), you still give Brady well over a minute + his T.O's to get into FG range.

Tom Brady didn't even need 3:30 to get into FG range. That PATS got into position quickly and killed the clock.

It was a dumb argument after the Pats game, it's a dumb argument today.

Shoot I was happy we scored so quickly. It meant MAYBE a chance to get the ball back after the Patriots scored.

Dartgod
10-29-2018, 11:44 AM
Yeah, I know it CAN happen, but that's the only time I can think of seeing it. Compare that to missed XPs, which have happened about 5% of the time this year.

Again, the chances of the Rams losing that game were incredibly small at that point regardless of what they did, but I just don't understand why you would ever in the NFL say "I know our chances of winning are lower if we make this decision, but we're gonna do it anyway."

I don't disagree. I was just taking an opportunity to laugh at Phyllis.

lcarus
10-29-2018, 11:52 AM

Always fun! I remember that game well.

https://www.ocregister.com/wp-content/uploads/migration/ltz/ltzin6-b78872044z.120111101065236000g3e136is2.1.jpg?w=620

suzzer99
10-29-2018, 01:12 PM
The only time you sit down instead of scoring - is when a short FG or running out the clock wins the game. To suggest any other time is silly.

TribalElder
10-29-2018, 01:15 PM
I understand the other point of view of take the points etc etc

NFL has such an offensive focus now I would assume the defense won't stop anyone. Last possession wins the game in shootouts. I think more teams will start to be aware of the clock at the end of the half and the end of the game and work harder to not leave any time left.

NJChiefsFan
10-29-2018, 03:40 PM
Gurley goes down after the first down instead of scoring to kill the clock and win the game

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Todd Gurley seals the game with a first down and the Rams are 8-0 �� <a href="https://twitter.com/TG3II?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TG3II</a> <a href="https://t.co/gx2zVNbJky">pic.twitter.com/gx2zVNbJky</a></p>&mdash; The Checkdown (@thecheckdown) <a href="https://twitter.com/thecheckdown/status/1056693684404535296?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">October 28, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is great clock management. I took heat for suggesting we should have done this at the end of the first half which would have eliminated the donkeys TD going into the locker room at halftime

This type of play is how you kill the clock and beat teams like the patriots who are only going to win if they have the last possession

How are the two scenarios the same thing? One is taking a knee because the game will literally be over. The other is a scenario where you actually need the points and are risking not getting them. I understand your point but we aren't perfect. Can't assume we are getting a TD.

highBOLTage
10-29-2018, 03:56 PM

You don't seem nice when you're being misogynistic.

KChiefs1
10-29-2018, 04:22 PM
Chiefs should have ran the clock down before halftime too. Andy has realize that his defense sucks ass.

KChiefs1
10-29-2018, 04:25 PM
Second Quarter
The drive - we had all 3 timeouts
1-10 at Denver 14 yard line 1:10 on clock
Mahomes runs to right to the 13 - gains one yard - KC takes immediate time out.

This was the issue - why take it there? I thought Denver took it- then when I saw we did... ugh! Why Andy?

This was the issue- 1:00 left when we took it. And we had all 3 timeouts

If we needed to think about something, then let the clock run to 30 seconds or so, then take it.

Andy has realize that his defense is pathetic.

JakeF
10-29-2018, 04:31 PM
Andy Reid thinks Clock Management and Saving Timeouts is overrated.

CupidStunt
10-29-2018, 04:37 PM

"Probably" a higher percentage.

Goes down = 100% win

Doesn't go down = some percentage they lose

lcarus
10-29-2018, 04:45 PM
Chiefs should have ran the clock down before halftime too. Andy has realize that his defense sucks ass.

Even with our pathetic D, I figured with 45 seconds and Denver's offense at Arrowhead that a FG is worst case scenario. Holy fuck was I wrong!