PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports **** Official Women's World Cup 2019 Thread ****

Pages : 1 [2]

BigRedChief
07-08-2019, 06:09 PM
I saw a stat of the revenue brought in by the women’s and men’s soccer teams from 2016-2018. The women’s team brought in more money. They obviously have had more success on the pitch.

They have a legitimate beef about equal pay with the men’s team.

From the Wall Street Journal:

U.S. women's soccer games have generated more revenue than U.S. men's games over the past three years.

That's according to audited financial statements from the U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) obtained by The Wall Street Journal. In 2016, women's games generated $1.9 million more in revenue than men's games. From 2016 to 2018, women's games generated approximately $50.8 million in revenue, compared with $49.9 million for men's games.

tredadda
07-08-2019, 07:00 PM
I saw a stat of the revenue brought in by the women’s and men’s soccer teams from 2016-2018. The women’s team brought in more money. They obviously have had more success on the pitch.

U.S. women's soccer games have generated more revenue than U.S. men's games over the past three years.

That's according to audited financial statements from the U.S. Soccer Federation (USSF) obtained by The Wall Street Journal. In 2016, women's games generated $1.9 million more in revenue than men's games. From 2016 to 2018, women's games generated approximately $50.8 million in revenue, compared with $49.9 million for men's games.

Is FIFA doing the payout or US Soccer? I am pretty sure the men’s World Cup generates far more revenue than the women’s World Cup. If it’s US Soccer then the pay should reflect revenue generated meaning the women should make as much if not more than the men. If it’s FIFA then the revenue pool is nowhere near the same and the payouts should not be either. The US women’s team is the best in the world and the US men’s team is nowhere near that, but they benefit from the fact that men’s sports are more popular worldwide. It’s like low income baseball teams benefitting from the success of higher revenue teams and revenue sharing.

tredadda
07-08-2019, 07:06 PM
That's not that surprising if you want to be honest...right now the Women's game is purely about athletics. Watch how they play, the US women win games because they are bigger, faster and more athletic than the teams they play.

But on that same token they for the most part aren't going to have that advantage over some athletic boys in their mid teens.

Only fools and idealists believe that women and men are physically equal. An elite female athlete will almost if not always be dominated by average to above average male. It’s not an indictment on female athletics, but just a basic fact of nature. But then again females were never made to compete with males in the physical domain.

loochy
07-08-2019, 07:17 PM

If that's the case (it requires deeper study and more aspects, of course) then pay them.

WhawhaWhat
07-08-2019, 07:24 PM

2016 to 2018 was a time when the men's team wasn't even good enough to qualify for the World Cup and they were almost even in revenue.

chiefzilla1501
07-08-2019, 07:32 PM

Equal pay is a tricky issue for me. Only because we're competing with other countries to avoid having our men's talent poached. And as huge as USWNT was for us, the crown jewel is still for a competitive USMNT. Women will obviously draw more $ revenue than men as long as the USMNT keeps tanking which is one hole in using 2016 to 2018 (it also shows a BS counterargument that we should credit the USMNT for TV stations making big-time revenue... to not show the US). I don't know that the problem is equal pay as much as it is that the USWNT are obviously very underpaid. Some people got really rich off the USWNT and it sure wasn't the players, that's for sure.

loochy
07-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Let's not forget that the pay for the national team is not substantial and pales in comparison to most club salaries (for men at least).

limested
07-08-2019, 07:57 PM
Let's not forget that the pay for the national team is not substantial and pales in comparison to most club salaries (for men at least)....

BigRedChief
07-08-2019, 07:58 PM
If that's the case (it requires deeper study and more aspects, of course) then pay them.I don’t think the Wall Street Journal is fake news.

BigRedChief
07-08-2019, 08:16 PM
2016 to 2018 was a time when the men's team wasn't even good enough to qualify for the World Cup and they were almost even in revenue.so? It’s the last 3 years of data. You want to go back to the 50’s to get a larger sample size?

The women are bringing in more money than the men. Where is all the money going to instead of to the players?

limested
07-08-2019, 08:30 PM
so? It’s the last 3 years of data. You want to go back to the 50’s to get a larger sample size?

The women are bringing in more money than the men. Where is all the money going to instead of to the players?

The USSF has an almost $200M surplus that is growing.

chiefzilla1501
07-08-2019, 09:05 PM
so? It’s the last 3 years of data. You want to go back to the 50’s to get a larger sample size?

It's pretty relevant that the sample is for the years where the US didn't qualify for the World Cup. Of course they'll pull a lot less revenue in that time span vs. a women's team that plays every single World CUp match.

loochy
07-09-2019, 06:33 AM
Is FIFA doing the payout or US Soccer? I am pretty sure the men’s World Cup generates far more revenue than the women’s World Cup. If it’s US Soccer then the pay should reflect revenue generated meaning the women should make as much if not more than the men. If it’s FIFA then the revenue pool is nowhere near the same and the payouts should not be either. The US women’s team is the best in the world and the US men’s team is nowhere near that, but they benefit from the fact that men’s sports are more popular worldwide. It’s like low income baseball teams benefitting from the success of higher revenue teams and revenue sharing.

It's both. The smallish (relative) salary for national team work comes from the USSF. The USSF, of course, gets some funds from FIFA. It's not necessarily a direct or clear path.

loochy
07-09-2019, 06:35 AM
I don’t think the Wall Street Journal is fake news.

I don't either, but simply talking about per game revenue is misleading. What all does that include? Ticket sales? What about TV deals? Merch sales through the year? Endorsements?

loochy
07-09-2019, 06:37 AM

Maybe significant for some of the small time MLS players, but insignificant to guys like Bradley, Altidore, Pulisic

chiefzilla1501
07-09-2019, 07:23 AM
I don't either, but simply talking about per game revenue is misleading. What all does that include? Ticket sales? What about TV deals? Merch sales through the year? Endorsements?

That can work both ways, though. For example a lot of people are giving credit to the usmnt for driving TV revenue in a year they didn't even represent. So have to be careful of that narrative too. I agree this is tricky. If I had to guess, the usmnt at their absolute worst as we saw a few years ago probably drives about the same revenue as uswnt (probably a little better). If they're even remotely good, they drive a lot more revenue. So even at their worst they probably make more. I don't think equal pay is the answer, but even the biggest critic has to think the uswnt is wildly underpaid.

chiefzilla1501
07-09-2019, 07:27 AM
The one x factor that is unusual for the uswnt this time around is they have a bonafide superstar celebrity in Alex Morgan. Maybe not the best player over the last decade. Probably not even the best on the current team. But the most marketable since Mia hamm and moreso. Even the usmnt really hasn't had that kind of star power in a very long time. Alex is probably giving that revenue a pretty hefty bump and I'll bet she'll be filthy rich with endorsements over the next year. Rose Lavelle is the future of uswnt and she doesn't carry a fraction of the star power.

limested
07-09-2019, 07:54 AM
Maybe significant for some of the small time MLS players, but insignificant to guys like Bradley, Altidore, PulisicAnd both Altidore and Bradley are significantly overpaid in the MLS and should have never been on this team.

loochy
07-09-2019, 08:05 AM
I don't think equal pay is the answer, but even the biggest critic has to think the uswnt is wildly underpaid.<br /><br />
<br /><br />
Maybe not equal pay, but proportional pay on an equal scale? Come up with some sort of sliding scale based on all those success factors. You get results cashwise for the the federation? Then you get rewarded.

BigRedChief
07-09-2019, 08:08 AM
but even the biggest critic has to think the uswnt is wildly underpaid.If they really have a $200 million surplus, they should give each of the 28 players who won a second consecutive World Cup a $1 million bonus.

BigRedChief
07-09-2019, 03:13 PM
Our savior is on board

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="und" dir="ltr">💪🏽💪🏽 <a href="https://t.co/Dq35iMK0qF">https://t.co/Dq35iMK0qF</a></p>&mdash; Patrick Mahomes II (@PatrickMahomes) <a href="https://twitter.com/PatrickMahomes/status/1148430998914289665?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">July 9, 2019</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>