PDA

View Full Version : Life 2020 is my year for painful social interactions, I guess.

Rain Man
03-06-2020, 06:46 PM
It's been a tough social year so far.

Last month I was out of state, and noticed that I was near a Facebook friend of mine that I haven't seen in 30+ years. We worked together at a restaurant when we were in high school, and we spent many a late night cruising around after work and discussing life philosophy at Denny's at 2:00 a.m. We were characters in a 1980s John Hughes movie, and we had conversations far beyond the veil of our youth. So I bopped him a message that invited him out to happy hour to catch up on the last 30 years. He accepted and we met, and it was clear that he had no memory at all of who I was. None at all. Awkward.

Then today I went to the funeral of a former boss. He founded the company that got me my start in the consulting field and he was a very nice guy. While I wasn't close to him, I figured I should go out of respect, since he indirectly set me on a long and rewarding career path.

But while I was working there, his company was hostilely taken over by a psychopath who drove him out. After he left (and promptly started a new company doing the same thing a few blocks away), the company quickly descended into a battleground of backstabbing and lying and stealing as the remaining spineless senior managers groveled and the psychopath ran wild. I got stiffed out of a very large amount of bonus money, quit in response, and even today I cast heaping vats of scorn upon every one of the invertebrate no-genital m*****f*****s who licked flagpoles there.

I knew a lot of them would be there today so I was ready for it, and sure enough, several of them were. But the psychopath even showed up. He showed up at the funeral after driving the guy out of his 20 year company. Every person within a four-mile radius, living or dead, likely wished that a mountain lion would attack him right there in the church, and there's no way he wasn't aware of that. The other gutless wonders at least had a reasonable justification for being there, but he showed up out of pure meanness.

Since it's apparently rude to punch someone at a funeral, I gritted my teeth into the rough form of a smile and inched my way out amidst painful greetings and small talk, and despite my best efforts I was unable to summon sufficient psychokinetic energy to blow up a single one of their skulls.

I think I may need to hit the social reset button on 2020.

Chief Northman
03-06-2020, 07:04 PM
Know that your wit and interesting anecdotes are always a welcome read here Rain Man. Sounds like you are acting like “the adult” in the situations you have described, and it is apparent that you are the better man.

A toast to you good sir!

Hog's Gone Fishin
03-06-2020, 07:14 PM
You should just relax and have a Corona.

FAX
03-06-2020, 07:17 PM
In furtherance of your 2020 goals, might I suggest that you seek out a relationship with Vicki from Arkansas, Mr. Rainman?

Not only could you assist her with the recovery of her stolen laundry but there is also the distinct possibility that, together, the two of you could track down the thieving beast responsible while securing photographs and hair samples for DNA testing.

FAX

Kman34
03-06-2020, 07:22 PM
You should have coughed on the psychopath and said, " Sorry.. I haven't felt well since my Italian vacation.. Have a nice day... "

Bugeater
03-06-2020, 07:24 PM
If you're ever in Omaha we can ride around in my Camero.

Bob Dole
03-06-2020, 07:24 PM
In furtherance of your 2020 goals, might I suggest that you seek out a relationship with Vicki from Arkansas, Mr. Rainman?

Not only could you assist her with the recovery of her stolen laundry but there is also the distinct possibility that, together, the two of you could track down the thieving beast responsible while securing photographs and hair samples for DNA testing.

FAX

He has experience in AR. We had dinner there years ago on one of his business trips.

FAX
03-06-2020, 07:38 PM
He has experience in AR. We had dinner there years ago on one of his business trips.

This is nothing short of Fate, then.

Mr. Rainman and Vicki are predestined to become dear friends.

And when that happens, let the sparks fall where they may. One cannot successfully argue with Destiny.

FAX

Easy 6
03-06-2020, 07:50 PM
I recently had a very similar encounter with an old teenage pal, Prather

We ran around constantly back in the late 80s and I hadn’t seen him since, then we randomly met at a gas station not too long ago... I was all about the memory lane of fond remembrances, happy to see the guy

And he couldn’t have been less interested in any of it, like it never even happened... I was just some dude from an alternate reality or something

People change, sometimes drastically

If you only have 2-3 real friends in life, you’re doing good

Iowanian
03-06-2020, 08:00 PM
I think I'll be in your city this summer.

I'll invite you to a musically beneficial and socially pleasant dinner, we can have a couple of drinks and I'll show you some dastardly Midwestern fuckary upon the person of your choosing.

dlphg9
03-06-2020, 08:11 PM
Is the psychopath still running the company? If so out that motherfucker and we will send Billay to seduce him, suck his dick, and take a picture for black mail and extortion. After he's paid us for several months we can chain his doors shut, bar up his windows, and catch his house on fire while he sleeps. Paybacks a motherfucker, motherfucker.

Rain Man
03-06-2020, 10:01 PM
You should have coughed on the psychopath and said, " Sorry.. I haven't felt well since my Italian vacation.. Have a nice day... "

If I had know that he would be there, I probably would have gone to Italy last week to prepare.

Rain Man
03-06-2020, 10:05 PM

This is nothing short of Fate, then.

Mr. Rainman and Vicki are predestined to become dear friends.

And when that happens, let the sparks fall where they may. One cannot successfully argue with Destiny.

FAX

I think I'll be in your city this summer.

I'll invite you to a musically beneficial and socially pleasant dinner, we can have a couple of drinks and I'll show you some dastardly Midwestern ****ary upon the person of your choosing.

These all sound like good plans, even if I have no idea who Vicki is. I need to surround myself with good people for a while to cleanse my aura.

RealSNR
03-06-2020, 10:07 PM
Pretty soon you'll run into that nice old lady you made fun of on your consulting trip in Decorah, IA. Then shit will get REALLY awkward!

Rain Man
03-06-2020, 10:10 PM

We ran around constantly back in the late 80s and I hadn’t seen him since, then we randomly met at a gas station not too long ago... I was all about the memory lane of fond remembrances, happy to see the guy

And he couldn’t have been less interested in any of it, like it never even happened... I was just some dude from an alternate reality or something

Yeah, what's up with that? I had no expectation at all that my guy wouldn't remember me. It wasn't like we just knew each other. We had prime bonding time together, the types of experiences that imprint upon one's life. And he clearly had no memory of it at all.

On a positive note, he could only seem to remember one person from high school at all. So I think it was more about his memory than about my lack of memorableness.

Rain Man
03-06-2020, 10:21 PM
Is the psychopath still running the company? If so out that mother****er and we will send Billay to seduce him, suck his dick, and take a picture for black mail and extortion. After he's paid us for several months we can chain his doors shut, bar up his windows, and catch his house on fire while he sleeps. Paybacks a mother****er, mother****er.

PM sent. Let's start planning this.

On another note, he had quite the saga at the company based on rumors I heard over the years. About two years after I left, he was running the company into the ground, and the gutless people convinced him that they should shut the company down. So they shut the company down, laid everyone off, and were riding out their office lease to go out of business. The psycho moved out of state.

But it was a poorly executed trick. Once they thought he was gone, the gutless people tried to restart the company without him. He found out, so he forced his way legally back into the company. They all hated him, so they set up some system to "share profit" where they essentially paid him protection money to keep his distance. That lasted several more years before they finally figured out some other way to get rid of him. I'm not sure what happened the second time, but I talked to someone who worked there a while back and got an earful about his "personality issues" and "problematic nature". Yeah, I could have told them about that 10 years ago.

Iowanian
03-06-2020, 10:23 PM
I propose we begin your revenge by sending the rat bastard villain of your story o card of glitter dicks, at work. There are anonymous online options.

SuperBowl4
03-06-2020, 10:45 PM
Life sucks. Wear a helmet.

Buehler445
03-06-2020, 11:23 PM
When I was in college I went home and ran into this girl from my class. I wasn’t expecting to see anyone and she gave me this super big HI! And I couldn’t for the life of me remember who the hell she was. From the look on her face I hurt her feelings with the perplexed look on my face. We weren’t friends or anything and quite frankly I don’t really care about her. But it was a small school and I knew her. I felt HORRIBLE. I’m pretty sure she never left and had no idea how much my life had changed since high school.

So yeah. I’ve been on the other end of that deal.

In your case though you’d think the dude would do at least a little research if you looked him up on Facebook.

Regarding the asshole. I’m all in on the Billay plan. Also, is there a wife or daughter you could screw and send him pictures?

Frazod
03-06-2020, 11:28 PM
When I was in college I went home and ran into this girl from my class. I wasn’t expecting to see anyone and she gave me this super big HI! And I couldn’t for the life of me remember who the hell she was. From the look on her face I hurt her feelings with the perplexed look on my face. We weren’t friends or anything and quite frankly I don’t really care about her. But it was a small school and I knew her. I felt HORRIBLE. I’m pretty sure she never left and had no idea how much my life had changed since high school.

So yeah. I’ve been on the other end of that deal.

In your case though you’d think the dude would do at least a little research if you looked him up on Facebook.

Regarding the asshole. I’m all in on the Billay plan. Also, is there a wife or daughter you could screw and send him pictures?

I have a couple of Facebook friends that I have absolutely no memory of. Get a friend request, and all our mutual friends are from my class or a year behind me, but I just don't remember them at all. And I went to a small school too. I accepted their requests just because it seemed rude not to.

Glad I never bumped into either of them. :D

Buehler445
03-06-2020, 11:30 PM
So interestingly we hired a guy in the first week of February. He had quit his job and his wife quit hers because she was about to have a baby. Not what I’d do but whatever. So he works awhile. Not working a ton of hours. Takes time off for the birth. Cool.

Well Tuesday he calls and says he’s “running a little late” and radio silence since. Of course hasn’t worked since Monday. I found out through the grapevine that he is trimming trees as a side hustle. I think what happened is he ran clear out of money and he could get money quicker that way. Dad thinks he’s not going to come back but I bet dollars to donuts as soon as the tree work is done he’ll roll in and say “I didn’t think you would mind” or some such dumbfuckery.

I’m sure it’s going to be an awkward conversation as to why his key code won’t work.

Buehler445
03-06-2020, 11:33 PM
I have a couple of Facebook friends that I have absolutely no memory of. Get a friend request, and all our mutual friends are from my class or a year behind me, but I just don't remember them at all. And I went to a small school too. I accepted their requests just because it seemed rude not to.

Glad I never bumped into either of them. :D

I was in college when Facebook came out. And it was restricted to college students. I’m sure there are a TON of people on there I don’t remember anymore. You know the people you had in one class 15 years ago.

Halfcan
03-06-2020, 11:33 PM

I was in Omaha on Sunday. :thumb:

You should give Omaha Camero tours.

Frazod
03-06-2020, 11:35 PM
I was in college when Facebook came out. And it was restricted to college students. I’m sure there are a TON of people on there I don’t remember anymore. You know the people you had in one class 15 years ago.

For me it was 35+ years ago.

MahiMike
03-06-2020, 11:38 PM
Let it go. You are bigger than this.

jerryaldini
03-07-2020, 12:51 AM
After the Chiefs won the SB I looked up the numbers of a few good friends from high school I had lost touch with and texted them. None of them texted back. What's up with that?

Bugeater
03-07-2020, 12:56 AM
I was in Omaha on Sunday. :thumb:

You should give Omaha Camero tours.
Well it's kind of fucking difficult to do so when I find out a week later.:cuss:

Holler at me bro!

Bugeater
03-07-2020, 12:57 AM
After the Chiefs won the SB I looked up the numbers of a few good friends from high school I had lost touch with and texted them. None of them texted back. What's up with that?
How the hell do you look up cell phone numbers?

eDave
03-07-2020, 03:54 AM
Hey Rainman:

https://i.imgur.com/0xlQdId.jpg

threebag
03-07-2020, 04:16 AM

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41a4CVF00VL._SR500,500_.jpg

Rasputin
03-07-2020, 05:10 AM
This has been a great social year I get to remind my Raiders coworker every day that Chiefs won the Super Bowl and he gives me a hand signal that we're number one. He seems nice for a Raiders fan.

JohnnyHammersticks
03-07-2020, 09:06 AM

Don't take it personally, we just didn't like you.

burt
03-07-2020, 09:07 AM

Wait....what? I thought they were misspelling it incorrectly for humor? Kinda like "Your and idiot"?

wazu
03-07-2020, 09:18 AM
The first interaction sounds much more painful to me. First, how in the world could he have no idea who you are when it sounds like you were pretty good friends in your youth? Second, why would somebody accept an invitation to spend an evening hanging out with some dude they don't even remember?

Mennonite
03-07-2020, 09:23 AM

Last month I was out of state, and noticed that I was near a Facebook friend of mine that I haven't seen in 30+ years. We worked together at a restaurant when we were in high school, and we spent many a late night cruising around after work and discussing life philosophy at Denny's at 2:00 a.m. We were characters in a 1980s John Hughes movie, and we had conversations far beyond the veil of our youth. So I bopped him a message that invited him out to happy hour to catch up on the last 30 years. He accepted and we met, and it was clear that he had no memory at all of who I was. None at all. Awkward.

But the sex was still phenomenal though, right?

HemiEd
03-07-2020, 09:45 AM
Their loss Rainman, not yours!

It is still the first quarter of the year in which the Chiefs won the Super Bowl!

Hopefully you felt a sense of pride knowing you have created a successful business in the same industry that the psychopath has caused so much tumult.

Chiefshrink
03-07-2020, 12:39 PM

Yeah, what's up with that? I had no expectation at all that my guy wouldn't remember me. It wasn't like we just knew each other. We had prime bonding time together, the types of experiences that imprint upon one's life. And he clearly had no memory of it at all.

Not buying that they didn't remember you guys. You guys were purposely disrespected for whatever reasons IMHO. Childhood experiences that were fun especially with close childhood friends are "etched" in our brains to the point of "automatic recall" PERIOD.

Eureka
03-07-2020, 01:00 PM
I recently received a friend request on FB from a woman I had no idea who she was. I asked her how we knew each other and she said we fooled around back in HS. I looked over her pics and couldn’t recall anything. That messaging got awkward real quick. She basically said I was a Player back in HS yet she mentioned it would be fun to meet up.

Sometimes memories take awhile to come back.

Easy 6
03-07-2020, 03:38 PM
Not buying that they didn't remember you guys. You guys were purposely disrespected for whatever reasons IMHO. Childhood experiences that were fun especially with close childhood friends are "etched" in our brains to the point of "automatic recall" PERIOD.

He remembered me fine, dude apparently just didn’t recall all the good times we had with the same fondness I did

We exchanged numbers, I called him 3 times and never heard back... oh well, one thing I learned long before this is that most friends come and go, only family lasts forever

Halfcan
03-07-2020, 04:12 PM
I recently received a friend request on FB from a woman I had no idea who she was. I asked her how we knew each other and she said we fooled around back in HS. I looked over her pics and couldn’t recall anything. That messaging got awkward real quick. She basically said I was a Player back in HS yet she mentioned it would be fun to meet up.

You ARE the father!

She is looking for years of back child support- just needs to lift your DNA off a beer bottle when you go out for drinks.

Rain Man
03-07-2020, 04:58 PM
He remembered me fine, dude apparently just didn’t recall all the good times we had with the same fondness I did

We exchanged numbers, I called him 3 times and never heard back... oh well, one thing I learned long before this is that most friends come and go, only family lasts forever

It sounds like you and I should get together and reminisce. Our old friends all have long term memory loss.

Easy 6
03-07-2020, 05:04 PM
It sounds like you and I should get together and reminisce. Our old friends all have long term memory loss.

We’ll make our own newer and better memories!

scho63
03-07-2020, 06:30 PM
This has been a great social year I get to remind my Raiders coworker every day that Chiefs won the Super Bowl and he gives me a hand signal that we're number one. He seems nice for a Raiders fan.

As a Raider's fan, does he even know how to count to one? :LOL:

KurtCobain
03-08-2020, 09:37 AM

And wash away the rain.

TimeForWasp
03-09-2020, 01:32 AM

eureka moment

Talisman
03-09-2020, 09:00 AM
Maybe you need to come up with a simple three-question test to confirm childhood friends actually remember you.

SuperBowl4
03-09-2020, 09:07 AM
After the Chiefs won the SB I looked up the numbers of a few good friends from high school I had lost touch with and texted them. None of them texted back. What's up with that?Probably because your few good ex-friends became Patriot fans since you last spoke to them. Consider yourself lucky!

Rain Man
03-09-2020, 10:08 AM
Maybe you need to come up with a simple three-question test to confirm childhood friends actually remember you.

1. What kind of car did I drive?

2. Name at least five girls who turned me down on date requests.

3. Was I a geek or a nerd?

Frosty
03-09-2020, 10:48 AM

Thank you.

When I was a sophomore in high school, I was in an AP English class. I was a car nut then and would try to work cars into papers I wrote.

In one paper, I mentioned a Camaro. The teacher marked it red and wrote "Camero" next to it and docked me a point. I talked to her after class about it and she insisted I had it wrong and she should know because her husband had one.

This was waaaaay before Google and after arguing with her some more, I told her to check her husband's car when she got home. The next day, I took the paper up to her before class and, without saying a word, she changed the score and handed it back. :) So now I get a bit of an eye twitch when I see it spelled "Camero".

Talisman
03-09-2020, 12:55 PM
1. What kind of car did I drive?

Trick question. You rode a scooter.

2. Name at least five girls who turned me down on date requests.

Trick question. You never had enough courage to ask.

3. Was I a geek or a nerd?

Trick question. You were a dweeb.