PDA

View Full Version : Props to Mariucci

flowergirl
09-25-2000, 03:09 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2000/0925/777075.html

LOL at Rison's comments at the end of the article. Glad that punk is gone...

WarPaint
09-25-2000, 06:00 PM
It's nice to see a HC cracking down on this kind of nonsense and at least trying to instill a sense of discipline.

Rison as usual, doesn't get it.

------------------
Gary

flowergirl
09-25-2000, 06:39 PM
If Rison approves so much, don't be surprised to see him do something similar in Arrowhead should he by some miracle get into the end zone for a TD...

elvislivesinkc
09-25-2000, 06:45 PM
Owens' actions were unprofessional and childish. But it was against Dallas, though, so I don't think I'll lose much sleep over it. I hate Dallas almost as much as I hate Denver.

I did think it was pretty funny when Teague knocked the crap out of him.

------------------
Frazod

Have I ever mentioned that I hate Denver?

wutamess
09-26-2000, 07:00 AM
I was about to post this this morning. Mariucci did a great job acting on his own, doing what he believed to be right. I wish there were more like him in the NFL.

I was laughing at the Rison comments too. He's such a child. If he does spike the ball at the center of Arrowhead, who do you think will run up and level him?!?!?! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

mikey23545
09-26-2000, 07:52 AM
If Mariuci had sat Owens on the bench after the first time he ran to the star, there would be no need for what he is doing now.

wutamess
09-26-2000, 07:55 AM
chiefnj,

Mariucci is quoted as saying that he didn't act on the first incident because he didn't see it. I am sure someone must have pointed out to him what had happened, but if he didn't see it for himself he must not have felt right about reprimanding him.

kc hopeful
09-26-2000, 08:05 AM
If Rison were to score a TD in Arrowhead it would be one more than he got last year.

PostalChief
09-26-2000, 09:03 AM
NFL=No Fun League

mikey23545
09-26-2000, 10:20 AM
Cormac:

I think Mariucci is a liar. How could he not see his player who just scored a TD run from the endzone all the way to the center of the field and put on a one man show. Wasn't he looking to congratulate him? Didn't the reaction by the crowd give him any clue that something was going on?

The refs should have flagged him the first time also for unsportsmanlike, that also would have prevented the ensuing problems.

wutamess
09-26-2000, 10:26 AM
chiefnj,

I can't imagine why he didn't see it either. But I do think he has done the best thing in the circumstances by suspending him for the next game (without $24,000+ in pay). Sitting him on the bench during the last game wouldn't have cost him (Owens) a dime. Also, now Mariucci has had a chance to assess the players' reactions, and evidently several of the 9er players are embarassed by Owens' carrying on. So, I guess Mariucci now finds it appropriate to deal with it in this way. Some of these decisions are probably better made away from the emotion of the game.

KC Jones
09-26-2000, 10:53 AM
If Rison is lucky enough to even make a catch, he better not do anything remotely like Owens did...if he scores or makes a big catch, I fully expect to see some kind of "dis" to the team and fans...but anything more than usual and we might have a nice fight and the Raiders rivalry will be born anew....

I liked what Tom Jackson said last night on Monday Nitght Countdown...he said he wished that Teague would have gotten a cleaner shot on Owens...He should have laid him out...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

The-Man
09-26-2000, 11:31 AM
The thing is...

the 9ers HAVE NO CHANCE to compete, so this move does not really impress me much. Sure he did do the right thing.

But would he have suspended Owens if the 9ers were in a neck and neck struggle for first in the division with the Rams?

I seriously doubt it...

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 09-26-2000).]

flowergirl
09-26-2000, 03:24 PM
I give him the benefit of a doubt. I met Mooch at Cal while I went to school there and dude is a real class guy. He wants his team to play with class and he's trying to send a message here. He has a winnable game next week and he needs all the wins he can get right now, so not suspending him for this game would have helped him more. But he went ahead and did it, and I applaud that...

dtforever
09-26-2000, 03:31 PM
I hate the cowboys so much, I was actually happy to see Owens do that. I thought it was kind of funny. Michael Ervin had an obnoxious routine on TD passes AND on ten yard gains. Nobody seemed to care about that. Emmit and the boys are just a little embarrassed that they have been dominated by the weak sisters of the league in their own back yard. If they punish Owens for what he did, they should punish others for similar TD behavior.