PDA

View Full Version : Schottenhiemer In Cincy???

KCatMU
09-26-2000, 11:37 AM
NFL Talk Rumor mill is reporting that Marty's name is being tossed around as a possible long term replacement coach in Cincy! OH PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, AND PLEASE!!! Could you guys imagine getting Cincy's first round pick next year if they sign Marty?!?! I know I may be jumping the gun here, but the possiblity of getting a top five pick next year is very exciting! C'mon, SOPaul Brown, make a intelligent management decision for once in your life and sign Marty!

------------------
gonzo88

Luzap
09-26-2000, 11:40 AM
LMAO!!! I think the Cincy fans have had enough heartbreak to get a coach who cant get it done in the playoffs.

I'll bet his first pick is a lineman.

KCatMU
09-26-2000, 11:40 AM
This would actually be a good move for both franchises. If anyone can get the bengals out of the cellar, it would be Marty. Besides, they don't need anymore first round picks until they can figure out how to use the ones they got.

Gaz
09-26-2000, 11:41 AM
Cinci would be a good place for him.....

I hope he takes his brother with him.

KCatMU
09-26-2000, 11:43 AM
You may not agree, but I think Marty is one of the best coaches out there. I was VERY upset when he left. If Marty come out of retirement, it is only a matter of time before he wins a super bowl.

JOhn
09-26-2000, 11:44 AM
Guys, I'm not certain we are entitled to compensation for Marty any longer. Certainly, a first rounder is debatable. The reason the Jets & Pats exchanged first rounders for their coaches is because they are division rivals. I'm not certain Paul Brown would part with next years first rounder.... Maybe he would give us a former first rounder. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

Gaz
gonzo, I think Marty is a good coach. I also think he is too hard nosed for today's game.

Something I think he instilled in Gun, which until recently has been a problem.

The-Man
Marty will no longer be under contract with the Chiefs after this season. Anyone will be able to sign him without compensating the Chiefs.

May you should read up on the Chiefs and what's going on, rather than crying your eyes out about people booing at Chiefs home games... who knows you might even learn something.

KCatMU
09-26-2000, 11:45 AM
Man, I thought all the whinners stayed over at the star bb. I think Kurt has been doing a decent job, a lot better than last year anyway.

KCatMU
09-26-2000, 11:46 AM
As far as I new, Marty was still under contract next year. Can you name your sources canable?

Baby Lee
09-26-2000, 11:47 AM
I thought the contract of Peterson and Marty ended in 2000 and 2001 respectively? CP's contract definitely ends this year. I am alomst sure the 2 contracts didn't end in the same year. Could someone verify this for me, kinda getting old and forgetful http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
bk

Chief Henry
Cannibal.
Are you sure? I thought that Marty still owes the Chiefs one more year after this season.

G_Man
Kurt is terrible...probably worse at his job than Raye would be without interference from Gun and his "philosophy".

At least Kurt can still benefit from Stock lowering the bar for the entire coaching staff.

One Arrowhead Dave
09-26-2000, 11:48 AM
If Marty gives his lil’ brother a job, that is enough compensation for me.

xoxo~
gaz
more than ready to be rid of the Spineless Stooge.<BR>

The-Man
09-26-2000, 11:48 AM
Marty Schottenheimer and Carl Peterson both signed contract extensions for the same length of time a few years ago. This is Peterson's final year in his current contract, so this would also be Marty's final season.

G_Man
09-26-2000, 11:49 AM
Marty had 2 years left on his contract when he was fired...OOPS, I mean retired. '99 was the first year, and this is the second.

Luzap
At any rate, Marty is a good coach-during the regular season only. He's proven both with KC and Cleveland that he cant get it done in the post season.

Gaz
gonzo, the word you were looking for is spelled 'whiners'.

I will stick to my perception that it would be better for the Chiefs if he coached somewhere else.

[This message has been edited by mlyonsd (edited 09-26-2000).]

kc hopeful
09-26-2000, 12:27 PM
IMHO it was time for Marty to go when he did: however using any criteria you want it is going to be very difficult for anyone to argue that Gun is a better coach than Marty was. You can look at wins, losses, turnovers penalties, what ever you choose and Gun has a lot to prove before he deserve to be put in the same category as Marty. One of the things that is almost never mentioned when arguing the quality (or lack there of) of head coaches is their ability to hire quality assistants. When I look at the ones Marty had over the years guys like Bill Cower, Al Saunders, Art Shell, and so on, then look at who we have now...... It gives me a queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Rod
Cautiously optimistic about Cunningham but, believes that a man can be judged by the company he keeps.<BR>

G_Man
09-26-2000, 12:35 PM
Byner fumbling on the 1 yard line & then falling into the end zone is in NO WAY Marty's fault.

It's amazing how all of these great Chiefs suddenly suck arse as soon as they are no longer under contract.

G_Man
09-26-2000, 12:38 PM
He did quite well with a "big 3" of Bono, Allen/Hill, and Willie Davis...much less than Gun has to work with now, IMO.

Look at the Chiefs record since Marty left.

KCatMU
09-26-2000, 03:19 PM
Everyone on the star bb thinks that Marty is still on contract through 2001. Cannibal, you want to run your mouth like a punk and whine about me bashing booers, why don't you find some sources if you are so sure of yourself?

DoktorSmith
09-26-2000, 03:22 PM
Are you sure you guys root for the same team. Whats the stabbing all about???

G_Man
09-26-2000, 03:22 PM
Who is "everyone"? Those dolts that don't have the sense to get on a real BB?

Go defend your lover....I mean Grbac. It's what you do best.

The-Man
09-26-2000, 03:26 PM
You're just getting your hopes up for a pick that we aren't going to get anyway. Even if Sh!ttenheimer was under contract next year [he isn't] the Bungles aren't going to give up a top 3 pick for him.

Maybe you should "Ask Adam Teicher" biotch!

KCatMU
09-26-2000, 03:26 PM
Cannab.., I mean Clint (one in the same I guess) who rattled your cage? I come to this bb because of all the negetive trolls at the other bb. I'm surprised to see you over here with the intellegent positive fans. I can't believe you guys left your buddy denise over there by herself.

flowergirl
09-26-2000, 03:27 PM
Looks like a good question for Teicher...

[This message has been edited by DaWolf (edited 09-26-2000).]

G_Man
09-26-2000, 03:31 PM
You type as if you are about 14. All you EVER do is talk down to other fans because they don't act the way you wish they would. You probably haven't even been to a game, because if you heard the number of boos in person, you'd probably either cut your wrists or get your as* kicked by trying to take on an entire section of the crowd.

Like I said, get back to defending Grbac...it's what you do best.

KCatMU
09-26-2000, 03:31 PM
Cannible, I get my hopes up because that is what positive fans do. I hope for the best, even if it might be far fetched. I don't sit around and b!tch about every little thing that isn't perfect, that's what negetive trolls do.

The-Man
09-26-2000, 03:33 PM
If you want to live in a fantasy world, that's your prerogative. I won't hold it against you. More power to you. I just choose to look at things realistically.<P>

KCatMU
09-26-2000, 03:37 PM
Clint, I have never talked down to a Chiefs fan. I have bashed my fare share of imitation fans, though. I have no reason to insult my true fellow Chiefs fans. And yes, I go to games every year. It has only been the last couple of years that I have had to verbaly assualt my fellow fans because they were just acting like a bunch of b!tches in general. The fans weren't like this in the early 90's.

G_Man
09-26-2000, 03:38 PM
"I don't sit around and b!tch about every little thing that isn't perfect, that's what negetive trolls do."

REALLY? Then I guess we'll never see another post on either BB about booing Chief fans. That is, unless your going to come out of the troll closet and admit that you're no better than Kurt Warner, Jr.

VAChief
09-26-2000, 03:39 PM
Hey I know this is being tossed around and speaking hypathectily - what about Marty going to Cincinnati and getting Dillion and not a 1st (not worth imo)but maybe a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Would improve running game and you can find a great utility player and possibly an out right starter in those rounds (diamond in the rough).

And to answer your questions yes I do think Dillion would thrive here in KC. Baggage or not I think if he is told what is expected of him, to fly straight or else and have that in the contract I believe Dillion would follow. Anything to get out of Cincy. IMO

------------------
CHIEFS DOMINATE IN 2000 (Do it for #58)
take your best shot ... then pick yourself up off your back ... and take it back to the sidelines!

G_Man
09-26-2000, 03:40 PM
A "fan" is anyone that says they're a fan. Unless you know them personally, you have no idea who is a fan and who isn't.

Try "verbally assaulting" some booing fans at the game. I dare you.

KCatMU
09-26-2000, 03:40 PM
I don't think that someone signing Marty next year and us getting a first round pick is that big of a fantasy. I think the odds are pretty good that someone would give a first round pick for the most winningest coach of the 90's.

ColoradoChief
09-26-2000, 03:41 PM
Cannibal - The one thing I can say about your realistic views is they almost always have a high volume of pessimism attached.

G_Man
09-26-2000, 03:42 PM
Getting picks for Schottenheimer is one h*ll of a fantasy, considering that he's no longer under contract with KC at the conclusion of this season.

dabreeze
09-26-2000, 03:42 PM
Last year when the rumors were hot-n-heavy that Schott would sign with the Packers, ESPN radio reported that Marty was under contract for 2 more years (this season and next), but the thinking was that CP would probably let Marty out of the final year w/o demanding much, if any, compensation. The big chance for compensation on Marty was if he coached for another team this season.<P>

KCatMU
09-26-2000, 03:43 PM
Clint, I've had to do it every year since 98(verbaly assault b!tches in the stands), what's your point?

KCatMU
09-26-2000, 03:45 PM
Again clint, I ask where your source come from that say that Marty isn't under contract next year?

dtforever
09-26-2000, 03:46 PM
Marty is the logical choice for any team that is floudering in patheticness. However, the Bengals are NOT going to give up the #1 pick in next years draft for Marty. No coach is worth that nowadays. Not even Gunter Cunningham oops, I mean Vince Lombardi. Cincy has talent, just no direction from top to bottom. Marty could turn that ship around.

G_Man
09-26-2000, 03:47 PM
CDCOX,

That story was reported prior to the start of the '99 season. Saying "2 more years" (seasons) at that point tells me he was under contract for the '99 and '00 seasons.

It was also reported that he had 2 years left on his contract the day he quit.

KCatMU
09-26-2000, 03:49 PM
Clint, spoiled booing bawl baby wanna be fans is one thing that I Do b!tch about(because their booing affects my teams chances of winning). There is a big difference between b!tching about one thing and b!tching about everything.

G_Man
09-26-2000, 03:53 PM
Gonzo,

It's not like there is going to be a source for such an obscure piece of data. I will simply be proven right when/if Marty signs.

Has there been ANY mention of Mike Brown giving Carl Peterson a call to begin negotiations? Let me guess: Nope.

BTW, for your own good, you might want to reconsider your verbal assaults at Arrowhead Stadium. At best, the boos will continue as usual, and at worst, you'll get stomped by a couple dozen drunken maniacs.

[This message has been edited by Clint in Wichita (edited 09-26-2000).]

G_Man
09-26-2000, 03:53 PM

[This message has been edited by Clint in Wichita (edited 09-26-2000).]

The-Man
09-26-2000, 03:57 PM
This dip**** probably hated when the fans booed Lin Elliot.

"Stop it guys!!! He's doing the best he can!!! Leave him alone!!!"

dabreeze
09-26-2000, 04:07 PM
Clint,

No, it was reported this year, after the Ray Rhodes was fired, before the draft, during the speculation that either the Jets or the Pats might sign him if they couldn't get Behlichek (sp?)<BR>

ddpatterson
09-26-2000, 04:19 PM
Packfan - That's funny because Wolf was all ready to give us his #1 last year for Marty until Marty wanted to hire his own coaches. That, and he was too cheap becuase he still had to pay for Rhodes' salary. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I also think Marty's under contract for one more year, but I could be wrong. And I'm sure Cincinnati would love to have him. Sure, we've suffered some agonizing playoff losses in the 90s. Did the Bengals even go to the playoffs ONCE in the 90s? We won a 100 games, they LOST 100+.

[This message has been edited by G_Man (edited 09-26-2000).]

The-Man
09-26-2000, 04:43 PM
Giving up the 15th pick is much different than giving up a top 3 pick.<P>

Holladay
09-26-2000, 05:07 PM
Marty is under contract through 2001.

Earlier in January, Fox reported that GB was offering a 2nd round pick for Marty. The next day ESPN reported that GB was offering a 1st and 4th round pick.

Personally, I don't think, at this stage of the game, that Cinci can be too picky. They've already have talent, they need someone to guide that talent.

Give up with the picks, Brown, and let's get on with it.

GO CHIEFS.

The-Man
09-26-2000, 08:03 PM
I’ve gotta come correct...

As it turns out, Marty is under contract next year.

But I still don’t believe we have a snowball’s chance in hell of getting a top 3 draft pick for Marty Shottenheimer. You’d have to be living in a dream world to believe that would actually happen.

http://www.sportserver.com/newsroom/ap/fbo/1997/nfl/kan/feat/archive/011497/kan19459.html

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 09-26-2000).]

ColoradoChief
09-26-2000, 08:06 PM
Cannibal - Well Brown is the owner and it is Cinci, but I agree I don't think we could get that lucky.

Vortex Dweller
09-26-2000, 08:10 PM
Cannibal,

I don't think it's unreasonable to think we can get a first round pick for Marty. He's a proven winner and a hell of a coach.

Cincinatti has had high draft picks for the last couple years and it hasn't done them any good. They need a good coach to manipulate thier talent and Marty could do that.

I'm bored at work right now, I'll discuss anything!

[This message has been edited by Otter (edited 09-26-2000).]

The-Man
09-26-2000, 08:15 PM
Here's what I think Cincy will do with that first round pick.

They'll probably let the malcontent Corey Dillon go and then use the top 3 pick on Deuce McCallister.

Dillon refusing to go into the game is inexusable. It's not the first time he's done it either. Obviosly he doesn't give two ****s about his teammates and that cannot be tolerated, [by an intelligent franchise anyway]. If their smart they'll cut ties with Dillon and draft a new RB next year.<P>

The-Man
09-26-2000, 08:17 PM
Otter,

I agree that it's not unreasonable to get a FIRST ROUND pick for Marty. But NO ONE, not even the Bungles would give up a top 3 pick.

[b]We're talking about the number two or three pick overall here, not the 20th pick.</B>

dabreeze
09-27-2000, 12:44 AM
Back in January when there was speculation Marty would fill one of the head coach positions, ESPN radio said Marty didn't want to hamper his new team by having to give KC too much compensation for his signing. ESPN reported that if Marty waited till the 2001 season to coach, not much (if any) compensation would be demanded by Carl Peterson, since it would be the last year of the contract. Marty works for ESPN, so I believe this line of thinking is credible. I would be shocked if we get more than a 3rd rounder if Marty coaches any where next season.

flowergirl
09-27-2000, 10:04 AM
Adam Teicher (teicher), 09/27/00 08:33 am (reply 479 of 480)
To Da Wolf:

Schottenheimer is under contract for one more year, so the Chiefs could ask for compensation for him. I'd be surprised if he went to Cincinnati. Don't think he's be a good fit for the ownership there.

I think we could get a 2nd tops. But I am with Adam, I would be very surprised to see him going to Cincy...

ansonsdad
09-27-2000, 10:09 AM
What about swapping first round picks?? That might be more palatable for CINCY.

DIEHARDCHIEF
09-27-2000, 10:38 AM
Last night on NFL Tonight Marty was asked about the situation in Cincy, about the fact that there fave been decent coaching yet the front office has remained the same over the same period. Marty basically said that the ownership are the problem and until Brown figures out how to make good personnel decisions the 'Nati will go nowhere.

Now if he badmouthed Brown do you think Brown would want him? We all know the clause in Dillon's contract and what a control freak Brown seems to be. I think Marty would shudder at the thought.

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-27-2000, 11:16 AM
Gaz:

Re: Your post stating "If Marty gives his lil’ brother a job, that is enough compensation for me. " Can I "me too" that?

Clint:

Re: Post #27..."All you EVER do is talk down to other fans because they don't act the way you wish they would"...not that I am defending Gonzo, but aren't you, at times, just as guilty as Gonzo of this one.

------------------
"When you're not the lead dog in the pack, the view is always the same"