PDA

View Full Version : Richardson at HB, not out of the question?

Mike
08-22-2000, 07:14 PM
From Gun's latest interview:

<quote>Q: Is (RB) Mike Cloud locked in as your number one back ?

CUNNINGHAM: "No, I haven't said that. We'll decide next week. A lot of people think (FB) Tony Richardson should be the starting back. I'll keep my thoughts to myself until we open the season."</quote><P>

08-22-2000, 07:20 PM
I would hope it is still open to anyone> I thought Kimble looked very well also.

Fort Chief
08-22-2000, 07:22 PM
I've been crying for this for since the middle of last season!

BTW,

Cloud is only averaging 3.4 yards per carry so far this preseason.

If it's not TRich, it'll be RBBC.

dnvrCHIEFSfn
08-22-2000, 07:29 PM
I honestly believe that T-Rich should be left right where he is. He is too versatile of fullback not to have on the field. He may be at his best when he is not keyed by all the backers. Cloud and Richardson would be a great 1-2 punch though.

ddpatterson
08-22-2000, 07:46 PM
I agree with you Woodrow. but in the big picture of things, I just want the SitCom to end.

------------------

Chinn Up

dnvrCHIEFSfn
08-22-2000, 07:54 PM
Milkman,
I know what you mean. Hopefully someone will emerge or at least develop into the starting HB we need. As little as we have seen Cloud, he does hold some promise.<P>

HankStram
08-22-2000, 08:23 PM
I say leave TRich at FB and single back in the Big Tiger set. Let Moreau have his shot at HB.

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 08:27 PM
Cloud has looked really good, at least to me. I say give him the ball and see what he can do. I really think he can be a 1000 yard rusher.

------------------
Parker

[i]It is no coincidence that fascism is often referred to as a "reactionary movement".</I>

HankStram
08-22-2000, 08:30 PM
Yeah, but Moreau (in his limited carries) has shown some great speed and power. I think that his bulk and speed combination would give him more potential in our system. Maybe Cloud DOES have what it takes but I still lean more toward Moreau at this point.

------------------
Some days you eat the Bear...some days the Bear eats you....

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 08:32 PM
Don't get me wrong, I've been pumping Moreau since the day we drafted him.

The problem is, after watching Cloud on the sweeps, and doing his cutbacks, I'm not sure I want someone who fits the "maulball" mold. I want a new offense, with a multi-faceted RB that can do it all.

HankStram
08-22-2000, 08:38 PM
Good point, but you are obviously basing that on the assumption that our playbook is going to change from:
a) HB up Grunnys butt or
b) Sweep Left (and ONLY Left).
I think it will take more than just a HB, it will take a change in Offensive philosophy. BTW, did JRaye get that CAT scan yet?

------------------

sd4chiefs
08-22-2000, 08:42 PM
I really think that this year will be another filled with RBbC. The named starter will be merely a formality and carries will be divided over all our backs. I do have one request for the committee. Can we please stop throwing screens to Bennett? This just makes no sense! Throw screens to Cloud, Shehee, Hall not the tanks!

------------------
AZChief

Remember Kansas City's hero, Joe Delaney #37.

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 08:44 PM
The thing I saw from Cloud the other night was the play where it apparently was another "up Grunny's butt" play, but when no hole appeared, he cut back and took it outside. With a back like that, JRaye can call those f'd up plays all he wants, as long as Cloud can improvise

------------------
Parker

[i]It is no coincidence that fascism is often referred to as a "reactionary movement".</I>

HankStram
08-22-2000, 08:51 PM
Personally, I would like to see SOMEONE step up and be a featured back (prefer Moreau at this point). Maybe Gun should just throw it open and may the best HB win. At the same time, maybe he should replace the Skybox Stooge with a trained monkey and call the offensive plays himself......... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

------------------

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 08:52 PM
AZ, take that **** and go home. I don't want to here anymore RBBC **** around here.

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Parker

HankStram
08-22-2000, 08:54 PM
I'll second that. Given the choice between RBbC and being shinkicked for 2 hours straight....I'd flip a coin.

------------------

sd4chiefs
08-22-2000, 08:55 PM
Parker, trust me I don't want that crap anymore than you! I was just posting what I think will happen...sadly. I'm starting to get a little worried about the '00 Chiefs but for now am sticking to my 9-7 prediction.

------------------
AZChief

WarPaint
08-22-2000, 08:58 PM
With our OL I think our running game will be the least of our problems this year. I'd still like to see a Cloud/Richardson backfield, but accept that Bennett and Anders can probably also run the ball effectively behind our line. Moreau will goto the practice squad.

Mosbonian
08-22-2000, 08:58 PM
Nothing would make me happier than to see the end of the SitCom, but my concern is the coaching staff not the players. It is just my opinion, but until a dominant runner appears the darn committe just will not go away.

------------------
Jim Reynolds

Please no squiggles in my discussion zone!

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 08:59 PM
I'd take a 6 win season if we'd:

1) scrap the RBBC and go to a Cloud/TRich backfield

2) play Warfield, Bartee, Wesley, Atkins, and Woods as our DBs (with Hasty of course)

3) make SlyMo the #1 starter, with DA as #2 and Lockett and Parker playing #3/slot

------------------
Parker

HankStram
08-22-2000, 09:00 PM
As far as Bennett goes, I think he should be a backup FB, last resort HB. I would love to see Moreau get some playing time. I still think the kid is a "Diamond in the Rough". Ans for goodness sake, no more screens to Bennett.

------------------

dnvrCHIEFSfn
08-22-2000, 09:02 PM
Barring injury, I think we have an impact player in Cloud. I think T-Rich and Cloud complement eachother well. The change of pace backfield that can be extremely effective as so many teams have proven over the years.

Mosbonian
08-22-2000, 09:02 PM
htis

I would agree with that last statement. Under those circumstances and considering this years schedule I would agree. Playoffs just seem so difficult to attain with this schedule.

------------------
Jim Reynolds

HankStram
08-22-2000, 09:10 PM
I think the keepers at HB should be:
FB - TRich (starter), Bennett
HB - Cloud/Moreau (starter), Anders, Hall (ST).
Sheehee...BOOT

------------------

htismaqe
08-22-2000, 09:11 PM
I think Cloud and TRich would actually be much more effective than Allstott/Dunn.

TRich is better than Alstott.

Moreau makes the team, along with Hall.

Sheehe is gone, and guess what? That means that either Anders or Bennett make the team as a back up FB ~ but not both!

Luz
personally, i think anders will be released...

htismaqe
08-22-2000, 09:13 PM
RobHonda,

Do you think we'll keep more than five backs?

I don't.

Luz
but i've been wrong before...

Mosbonian
08-22-2000, 09:13 PM
Luz,

I think one of the reasons they are giving him every chance possible, is just to be sure. Because they are planning to release Anders. It will be a sad but probably necessary move.

Love this edit capability!
------------------
Jim Reynolds

[This message has been edited by Logical (edited 08-22-2000).]

HankStram
08-22-2000, 09:14 PM
Why not keep both Anders AND Bennett? 6 RB's on a team wouldn't be unheard of (albeit not the norm).

------------------

Mike
08-22-2000, 09:15 PM
I also believed we should only keep 5 backs, but with Kimble's showing in the last game it's going to be hard to cut him.

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 09:16 PM
Guys, I love loyalty, but I also like to win. Ever since I started watching football, I was always drawn to youth and energy. When I play Madden on the PSX I trade away the old guys (yes, I even traded DT a few times) to make my team young and ready to win for years. That's what I want from the Chiefs. A committment to YOUTH.

------------------
Parker

dnvrCHIEFSfn
08-22-2000, 09:17 PM
T-Rich and Cloud would be a very similar to Tampa's. Cloud has the edge as a true HB and T-Rich has the edge as a pass-catching FB.

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 09:17 PM
That being said, I think (and even hope, though sad to say it) that Kimble gets cut. He's looked tentative, and even though I may be watching closer, I think he's limping. I don't think he's 100%, nor will he ever be again at his age. It's time to move on.

------------------
Parker

htismaqe
08-22-2000, 09:21 PM
RobHonda,

One reason it will be hard to keep six backs is because we are so deep at OL this year.

Understand that this is necessary because Szott is gone next year, and both Grunhardt and Shields will be FA.

That's the interior line. We also need to keep (what's his name ~ our drafted rt tackle ~ Allford?) because we are THIN at backup here and he has great potential for the future.

It will be very hard for us to carry more than the usual number of players at ANY other position.

Luz
and i still want another db...

sd4chiefs
08-22-2000, 09:22 PM
I think KC will keep six backs this year just like in '99.

Last year we kept B. Morris, Anders, Bennett, Richardson, Shehee, and Cloud.

I'd guess that this year we'll keep Moreau, Anders, Bennett, Richardson, Hall (for ST), and Cloud. Shehee will be the odd man out which bums me out...I still think he has skills.

AZ

Mosbonian
08-22-2000, 09:23 PM
Little less deep now, Aaron Graham was released today, that is two of the three FA signees gone. Anyone know how many potential lineman still looking for spots?

------------------
Jim Reynolds

HankStram
08-22-2000, 09:27 PM
Luz,
You got a point about the Oline. I think we will resign Shields and Grunny but we need someone to replace Szott. As far as DB goes, I am worried. If something good came on the waiver wire I would DEFINATELY BOOT C. Gray, closely followed by Highway 26. If we only keep 5 RB's, then I guess keeping Bennett over Anders would be the only logical alternative.

------------------

sd4chiefs
08-22-2000, 09:27 PM
Spears, Alford, Willis, Smith and Blacksear are battling for four spots I believe. I think the real battle is between Jeff Smith and Donald Willis...

AZ

DaKCMan AP
08-22-2000, 09:29 PM
I would like to get rid of RBbC because it would give our OL the credit they are due. As for the starter position it is up for grabs with the 3 guys in the lead being Cloud, Anders and Richardson.

I'm sorry but Moreau had one good game against the 4th team and the other two games everytime he tried to run up the middle he got hit and just fell over.

Richardson has only had a couple carries and they were both OK, got the 3rd and 1 yd and broke a long run making people miss and breaking tackles.

Cloud is playing pretty well, seems to find the hole more often then running into backs of the OL. He can catch in the open field and run after the catch. He is also young, but I would like to see more then a couple of series a game.

Anders had a good game last game, looked real fast. Will have a battle on his hands to take over the top spot, great to see him back and healthy. His first game didn't look very good at all.

Bennett is a good backup at both FB and HB, wish he was a bit cheaper.

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 09:32 PM
Aaron Graham, released? and Stai too...hmmm...this perplexes me. Shields has a 1 year deal, Szott is definitely gone (and should be, old and oft-injured), and Grunny is getting up there too. We've traded or waived all of our depth. Doesn't seem that we're building for the future with these moves. What's the point of getting younger at WR and RB if our OL falls apart?

------------------
Parker

htismaqe
08-22-2000, 09:33 PM
AZ,

Smith looses and Willis wins.

Luz
place your bets here...

HankStram
08-22-2000, 09:34 PM
htismaqe,
I think we will see Oline depth drafted in the next draft. Seems to be our M.O.........

------------------

Mike
08-22-2000, 09:35 PM
Gun on Graham:

"We brought Aaron Graham in...at the possibility that Grunny (Tim Grunhard) didn't recover (from surgery). What we found out was that he wasn't as physical as we like to have our guys be. Donald Willis and Jeff Smith are about 325 pounds."<BR>

HankStram
OK, enough of this lurker tag......

------------------

WarPaint
I think Graham may have been responsible for the fumbled snap with Collins last game. That may have been the reason for his release.

I am disappointed in Alford. He was supposedly a third round pick and many felt we were lucky to grab him so late. I guess there was a reason why he fell so hard on draft day. Practice squad bound.

AustinChief
08-22-2000, 09:36 PM
You know, I've been thinking about this for a while but I just haven't aired it yet.

Victor Riley is actually a guard. If we could get some quality tackle talent via draft (the best way) or FA, I think the plan is to move him into Szott's spot. Allford is a true tackle and has some potential. One more (for additional depth) and Riley can move back inside where he belongs (and plays better)

------------------
Parker

htismaqe
08-22-2000, 09:38 PM
CHiefnj,

Why do you say that about Alford?

Luz
what have you heard?...

sd4chiefs
08-22-2000, 09:38 PM
Htis, Graham was buried behing Grunny, Smith, and Willis. I really believe Grunny will be resigned for a couple of more years. Offensive Line, especially Center, is a position where a player can continue for years. Look how long Mike Webster played even before he came to KC. Szott, I agree, is gone after this year. He will be replaced by Blackshear who should be a stud if he can keep his weight down. KC will attempt to resign Shields and needs to get it done. Stai was really buried on our depth chart too. He was buried and signed in case Shields or Szott decided not to return to KC. I think that move (to trade Stai) was a nice lil coup by Carl!

AZ

I think we'll be ok.

------------------
AZChief

WarPaint
08-22-2000, 09:44 PM
Luz,

Alford is a big boy 6-4 334. He played for BC and they had a pretty good OL. A lot of the draft previews had him listed as a third round pick. KC got him in the 6th. I thought he would be a darkhorse but haven't really heard anything positive on him.

In light of our Grundhard, Shields and Szott situation I think it would be in our best interest to put him on our practice squad and see how he develops.<BR>

Mike
08-22-2000, 09:45 PM
I heard one quote from Gun that he was playing like a 3rd year pro, but I admit I haven't heard anything since (except that he stays after practice every day to work on skills).

ddpatterson
08-22-2000, 10:34 PM
One of the knocks on Alford coming out of school was that he had a poor work ethic. If he's staying after practice towork on his skills, that's a good sign.

------------------

Red Eyes
[i]Chinn Up</I>