PDA

View Full Version : AFC Standings

DIEHARDCHIEF
10-30-2000, 11:44 PM
Now that every team in the AFC (I really don't care about the NFC) has played at least half of their games I decided to check out the seedings from top to bottom using the official NFL play-off tie breaker rules. Here are my results with explanation of the tie breaker for tied teams and conference rank. Face it, these are the rankings that really matter!

#1 Tennessee (7-1) +34 net points in AFC
#2 Oakland (7-1) +30 net points in AFC
#3 N.Y. Jets (6-2) 1.000 win pctg among top 3 East teams
#4 Miami (6-2) 5-1 in AFC
#5 Indianapolis (6-2) 5-2 in AFC
#6 Pittsburgh (gag) (5-3) 5-3 in AFC
#7 Kansas City (5-3) 4-3 in AFC
#8 Baltimore (5-4)
#9 Denver (4-4) +37 net points in AFC
#10 Buffalo (4-4) -15 net points in AFC
#11 Jacksonville (3-6)
#12 New England (2-6) 2-4 in AFC
#13 Cincinnati (2-6) 2-6 in AFC
#14 Cleveland (2-7) 2-6 in AFC
#15 Seattle (2-7) 1-5 in AFC
#16 San Diego (0-8)

The tie breaker notes are the deciding tie breakers, obviously I left out those tie breakers that did not settle the matter. As you can see we would not be in the play-offs were they to start today. Of course this is all for s*its and giggles until about week 14 when things start to spread out. I think I'm going to keep doing this until the end of the season, so if anyone wants me to post it each week let me know and I will. If someone already does this elsewhere at the planet, my apologies, I will not step on your toes.

Chief Henry
10-30-2000, 11:55 PM
Great idea! keep this type of information coming. The effort is most appreciated.

Chiefnj
10-31-2000, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the list. Wow - I can see how important this next game is for both our teams. If Oakland loses, they're still a game up but real shakey in the tiebreaker column. I'll fax this off to Gruden and suggest that he win the game.

dabreeze
10-31-2000, 12:06 AM
DJay,

As your work shows, KC is not in a good tie-breaker position due to the fact that all of our losses have come against AFC teams, and to teams that are in the playoff hunt. That really puts the hurt on us. My computer program that predicts playoff teams take these tie-breaker rules into consideration, so I appreciate the difficulty of sifting through these. Wait until you get into some of the three-way tie senarios... its enough to blow your mind. Your work gives a good snap shot of where we stand now, which is a good compliment to mine, which shows what might happen based on the most likely outcomes of future games. Keep up the good work!

DaMook
10-31-2000, 04:47 AM
I guess I should stop wanting Pitt to go for more wins in a row (5 in a row now). Let them get beat a few more times, but allow them a win vs Oakland.

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 05:34 AM
Bob Dole thinks DJay ought to keep doing it weekly and submit it as an article on the CP front page.

Warrior5
10-31-2000, 08:02 AM
Good article, and I too hope you continue, I think we can all see the ramifications of this weeks game. I have said all along, to get into the playoffs, we almost have to win the division. With our 3 losses, and without having the luxury of facing Baltimore, or Pittsburgh, tie breakers do not favor us.

DIEHARDCHIEF
10-31-2000, 08:21 AM
Thanks guys, it's just something I decided to do for fun last night to see where we really stand. I guess I will post my results each week. The way I see it we can root for Indianapolis and Tennessee in the rest of their games because I have a feeling neither is going to fall to our position by seasons end. That would keep two head to head tie breaker losses out of our reach. Of course I always root against Oakland, but if they win the division we have a chance as long as Baltimore, Pittsburgh, Denver, and Buffalo hit the tank the rest of the way. This is going to make the results of other games much more interesting than they have in the past for me!

Scorpdork
10-31-2000, 11:18 AM
All of this is great if you tend to look at it this way!I refuse to do so,I don't like to think that in order to get into the playoffs,that I need a bunch of things to happen! Bottom line is just win em,1 game at a time,take care of things yourself!

I know we have some tuff games coming up,crap just go out and perform,there is not a game left on our sch. that say's we have no chance to win!As much as I would like to win em all,I'm not stupid to the fact that will happen! I believe that Oakland will be 11-5,meaning somebody will do some work for us,but we have to rely on ourselves to get to ,13-3/12-4/11-5/10-6 !I feel 12-4 is very likly and good enuff for the division title!

Take em 1 game at a time! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

KC Jones
10-31-2000, 11:54 AM
This may have been said already, but it's time to start rooting for the rest of the AFC to beat up on each other...pick the Division winners and then hope the rest just lose as many games as possible...The Chiefs are going to win the West but I was thinking about some of the poor teams like the Raiders that might need help getting into the playoffs.... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

bkkcoh
10-31-2000, 12:11 PM
Keep up the good work DJay, and cdcox as well.

I suggest we have a weekly update on the planet homepage, next to AFC West standings.

BTW, I do this every season, but usually don't bother until at least 12 games played.
I also prefer not to get too far ahead of myself.

ct

[This message has been edited by coryt (edited 10-31-2000).]

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 12:20 PM
With the way the AFC is right now, I like our chances.

Indy, Tennesee, and Miami will get in. These are the top 3 in the AFC after watching them play, the MNF loss to the Jets (Miami) and the comeback by the Raiduhs (Colts) were both flukes.

After them, there's NY, Oakland, and us. Oakland isn't as good as their record, but they're almost guaranteed a 9-7 now. NY is inconsistent. They beat Miami and Tampa, but lose to slumping Buffalo? If our offense continues to pass and score, we'll finish well in the hunt.

As far as Denver, Baltimore, Pitt, and Buffalo go, Denver is crashing, they might not have a winning season. Baltimore has NO offense, and even their defense isn't good enough to shut EVERYONE out. Pittsburg can beat Baltimore...see above. They won't beat anyone they need to beat. The only one that could contend is Buffalo, but I can't figure them out week to week. They gotta good D, though.

Here's the way it lines up, to me at least:

Indy, Tenn, Miami, Oakland, KC, and NY.

------------------
Parker
[b]ChiefsPlanet Administrator</B>