PDA

View Full Version : Halloween costumes...anyone participating?

bkkcoh
10-31-2000, 08:22 AM
Late last night, I decided to go ahead with my costume plan - Peter, from Office Space.

Anyone seen that movie, so true it's freaky man!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/eek.gif And the character Peter fits me well enough in reality, that's pretty freaky too! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

ct
Happy Halloween to All!!!

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 08:37 AM
Bob Dole was going to go as Milton, but has been unable to find suitable eyeglasses.

One of Bob Dole's techs is an Office Space nut, so when he took a Friday off 2 weeks ago, we filled his office with boxes (and a red stapler, of course). Bob Dole wanders by every morning with a cup of coffee and says, "Philton...what's...happening. I'm going to need you to move your desk..."

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 08:37 AM
No.
Halloween is the celebration and praise of all that is evil and demonic. Why would I want to celebrate that?

Should we have a high holy day for murder, rape, theft, drug use, etc...oh, we do.

Thanksgiving is a celebration of all that is good and virtuous in our lives. I prefer to celebrate that.

Dev
~just my take on the issue, each to his own!

------------------
GO CHIEFS!!!! Squash the faiders like the scum that they are!!

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 08:40 AM
That's why Bob Dole typically goes as a religious figure, Idaho.

Sort of an offset.

ansonsdad
10-31-2000, 08:45 AM
Thanks Dev.

That makes for a lovely picture as I prepare to take my 2 yr old son on his first trick or treat event. It's not a celebration of the devil, it's a celebration of youth and giving, through costume (my son is dressing up as a cowboy). If you see it for anything more evil than that, I feel sorry for you.

Please feel free to come by my home in Wichita, and I'll cheer you up with some candy.

autoxwes
10-31-2000, 08:47 AM
uhh, okay... I'm going as the devil, dragging my wife and son kicking and screaming!

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/confused.gif

[This message has been edited by WisChief (edited 10-31-2000).]

bkkcoh
10-31-2000, 08:48 AM
Yes Thanksgiving is a pure and holy holiday.

Let's celebrate the friendship and commradery(sp?) with our native friends, right before we PUNK and RAPE AND PILLAGE AND PLUNDER the entire race of people and everything they have ever known.

While we're at it, why not make a national holiday for the discoverer of the Americas, Christopher 'Adolf Hitler of the Americas' Columbus.

Bob,

Relieved I'm not the only Office Space nut out there.

ct
Peter in the flesh, wait, that doesn't sound too good, you know what I mean

autoxwes
10-31-2000, 09:01 AM
I'm really not going as the devil!!

But really, where does that come from Dev. Like Chi, I'm going as a father taking his 2 year old son (also going as a cowboy - damn, we spent a fortune on this costume! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif) out for his 2nd trick or treating event - the first that he will remember. I can assure you that my wife and I (and probably the other 15000 parents here in lovely Wisconsin Rapids) are NOT celebrating "all that is evil and demonic"!

Like you said - "each to his own!"

Have a good night tonight turning away all the little demons! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

------------------
Wade

Luzap
10-31-2000, 09:03 AM
Cory: It might serve you to know that Columbus day is a national holiday in October. Typically it is only recognized by the Banks and Federal/State institutions.

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 09:06 AM
Cory,
Thanksgiving is a celebration of what God has done for us. I'm sure that you think otherwise, feel free to do so.

By the way, show me one, just one, in all of history, group of people that did not PUNK and RAPE AND PILLAGE AND PLUNDER another group of people. Does this make it right? NO. Does it make it ok that a very few did it in God's name? Absolutely not! However, all you hear about is how our founding fathers did this. It is a double standard plain and simple.

Gaz
10-31-2000, 09:10 AM
How can such an innocent thread turn into an ugly raping and pillaging one?

All those little kids that are running around tonight are not for one minute worshiping the devil.

Lighten up everyone.

DIEHARDCHIEF
10-31-2000, 09:12 AM
When I lived in Colorado about 7 years ago I had some neighbors whose religion did not allow them to participate in Halloween. On Halloween night they went out--somewhere, I don't know where--but left their porch light on. When kids came to the door, assuming they could read, they were met with a note which admonished those who chose to partake in the candy orgy that is Halloween, decrying "Satan's holiday." What really made me feel bad was these people had three small kids between the ages of 7 and 4, who felt very left out when the other kids in the neighborhood got to go dress up and have fun.

To each their own, you don't have to celebrate holidays if you don't want to, that's what this country was founded on basically, freedom of making your own decisions without persecution. I just feel bad for the small children who are deprived of valuable memories and social interaction because their parents are being to righteous. All Hallows Eve is actually not a demonic holiday anyway, at least not the Mexican version. on El Dia de los Muertos (Day of the Dead)families go to their local grave yards and clean up, decorate, and enshrine the graves of their passed loved ones. Then they sort of camp out at the site over night and have fun with their neighbors as they celebrate the lives of their loved ones. I don't see anything so demonic or evil about that.

bkkcoh
10-31-2000, 09:17 AM
Idaho,

You can't be serious?!? http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

ct

Bob Dole
10-31-2000, 09:18 AM
Hey people, lighten up!
its a day for the kids...and the child in the "adults"(i use that word loosely!) i came to school as Tony G...(had to borrow the boy's Chiefs helmet with his costume) http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif
kcmax
anticipating the Faiduh's destruction this weekend!

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 09:23 AM
I understand that many people do not celebrate the darker side of the holiday. I commend them for that. But if you honestly look at how it is celebrated what do you see? Dripping blood, witches, demonic characters and such. Is this not celebrating these things? If you look at the history of the celebration it was a holiday created by druids for the worship of the dead and spirits. If you study their religion you will find it is the worship of evil spirits.

Now the Catholic church came in and tried to set up a harvest celebration on the same day to keep thier people from going to the druid celebration. However, the two have since become intermingled, hence the pumpkins, and it seems that the druid practices are winning out.

Being a Christian, I don't wish to particpate in a celebration that has in its roots the worship of the demonic. That would be akin to spending a night with a hooker and then telling my wife its ok because I'm married to her not the hooker.

This is why I wrote to each his own. I was simply giving my reason why I will not be dressing up.

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 09:30 AM
Interesting "facts", since the Druids recorded none of their own beliefs or practices. It would seem that any "Druid" info was likely penned by their enemies, the Roman Empire.

You know, sort of like our own Declaration of Independence that includes:

HE has excited domestic Insurrections amongst us, and has endeavoured to bring on the Inhabitants of our Frontiers, the merciless Indian Savages, whose known Rule of Warfare, is an undistinguished Destruction, of all Ages, Sexes and Conditions.

Don't believe everything you read...

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 09:38 AM
Cory,
I am absolutely serious. Now back up your statement about Thanksgiving. And PLEASE SHOW ME one group that does not have the same record. JUST ONE!!!

By the way, I will give out candy to the little ones tonight as I always do. All they understand is that it is a great time to go to their neighbor’s house and get candy. That, is a good thing. It develops a healthy relationship between neighbors. I wish that the two could become divorced of one another.

Is this hypocritical? I don’t know. I want to be a positive influence to my neighbors so I participate in the giving of candy, and I certainly would never berate someone for coming to my door for such. But on the personal level I choose not to participate in the rest of the holiday.

Dev
~not wanting to be part of the holiday, but wanting to be a good neighbor...<BR>

autoxwes
10-31-2000, 09:46 AM
Dev,

Turn your lights out and appear to not be at home. That's what most people do when they are out of candy.

I must ask - how can you possibly participate and feel the way you do? Also, do you have children and do you take them out? Just wondering - nothing personal http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------
Wade

Snapper
10-31-2000, 09:48 AM
on a lighter note:

some here @ work dressed up, I came with a potato in my dockers pocket..when asked about my costume, i pull it out and tell them i'm a "dic-tator".

Idaho...are you one of those people who knock on my door every saturday am around 8am and try to save me until I say I'm still catholic?

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 09:50 AM
Sorry for the double post!

[This message has been edited by Idaho Chief (edited 10-31-2000).]

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 09:52 AM
Mr. Dole,
No they did not leave written records as such, and many other ancient religions did not either. However, the practice of wicca is a direct decendent and follows much of the oral history of the druids. And there are other sources of historical data mostly from religious sources and they are not all biased. Besides one can read between the lines.

You also need to take into account religious practices that preceeded the druids and thier affect on druid worship and other religions. Two of the most basic fundamentals of non-Christian and non-Jewish religions is the worship of the earth and of the stars. It is interesting to find that most earth worship is linked to the worship of a goddess. Hence, mother earth. Stone hinge (sp?) is a sample of the druids star worship practices.

If you are interested in the link between aceint religions and religions of today try and find a copy of "The Two Babylons." I don't remember the author, but if I find it I will pass it on.

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 10:00 AM
The practice of Wicca is an individual choice, and while those of common beliefs may gather together, you will find that each individual has their own take. To refer to any "Wiccan standard" other than the basic tenet is to discount Wicca's true nature.

The Druids "inherited" Stonehenge.

Again, almost every published item with "information" on the Celts is derived in some part from writings of the Roman Empire, or a complete fabrication. As with Bob Dole's excerpt from our own D of I, most writings were a justification of "why we need to conquer these savages" and could hardly be considered objective.

Bob Dole will try to find a copy of the publication you referenced.

ColoradoChief
10-31-2000, 10:02 AM
Idaho - I have yet to hear anything about the Pigmies's of Africa and there horrendous and atrocious raping and pilliging and plunders of other people. Though I could have missed that one.

Morphius
Beware the Pygmy!

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 10:05 AM
WisChief,

Sadly, Mrs, IdahoChief and I do not have any little ones. If we did, we would probably find something else to do with others. I simply don't know.

I think I explained myself well on why I will give out candy. I wish to be a good neighbor and build relationships with those in my neighborhood. This is just one way to do this. I have struggled the last few years with continuing with giving out candy, but I always seem fall back on not wanting to disappoint the kids. Our house has always been a good and safe place for them to come to. I have to try and balance the good of being a good neighbor with the wrong of possibly promoting what is evil. I do not believe, however, that the children know the difference so I opt to their side. Not dressing up at work, or going to a halloween party or fixing up my yard does not offend anyone, therefore I don't participate in that. And that was Cory's original question.

wutamess
10-31-2000, 10:24 AM
LMAO @ Morph!

KC Hawke
10-31-2000, 10:26 AM
if I had enough cardboard and paint I would be Spongebob Squarepants.

this thread is a perfect example as to how us "well informed" adults continuously ruin things for the innocent children.

------------------
C.R. Pants
(that damn liberal)

wutamess
10-31-2000, 10:30 AM
Idaho Chief,

Respectfully, I think you are taking it too seriously. Dressing up to be scary or be scared, or watching horror movies, going to haunted houses etc. is just a fantasy outlet that people tend to indulge in by choice once a year. It shouldn't be forced upon anybody, but I think it is easily avoided for the most part, by those who are not interested. Putting yourself in a position of fear is just another way to feel a rush, like you can by riding a roller-coaster/ bungee-jumping/parachuting, whatever your thing. I don't see the connection between part-taking in this, and worshipping something devilish. Again, it's purely fantasy.........

bkkcoh
10-31-2000, 10:33 AM
Idaho,

My jab at Thanksgiving, which I fully support as the day to give thanks to God for, well, everything, whether good or bad in my life, is simply to point out the hypocricy of the Pilgrim-Indian feast legend. Only suggesting Halloween is not the only holiday with negative legendary overtones. Same as the observance of Columbus Day, or G.Washington's B-Day(slave-owner), or King Jrs' B-Day(affirmative action token holiday), etc etc. These are just some examples of the issues some folks, not necessarily this folk, have with these holidays.

Yes, I have objections, but I honor the intent of the holiday, not the legend. Which I might add, appears to be precisely what you do with Halloween. You participate in the neighborly sharing of treats for the children of your community, and I applaud you.

If you have issues with the legend of Halloween's origin, that is entirely your right, and I will never infringe upon them. Just don't infringe upon mine, that is all I ask.

ct
I say again..Happy Halloween to ALL,
who choose to participate

[This message has been edited by coryt (edited 10-31-2000).]

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 10:37 AM
morphius,
As I have not studied their tribe personally, you may be right. However, if you look at the African tribes they particpated in war with eachother and took slaves from each others tribes. My question is, if the Pigmies's did not participate, then how did they survive?

My point is, in regard to Cory's raving, that our forefathers are charged with actions and crimes that were the standard the globe over and yet they are the only ones berated, especially in the press. Maybe the Romans should be crying about the Huns?

KC Hawke
10-31-2000, 10:42 AM
don't know much about history (pre 1920s),

but I did eat Count Chocula this morning . . . I may have just bought my ticket to hell http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/redface.gif

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 10:44 AM
Cory,

Thankyou for the clarification. Per your statement "Just don't infringe upon mine, that is all I ask" I concur. If you feel that is where I was coming from I am sorry. I was not trying to infringe upon your right to celebrate, I was simply trying to answer your question and give my reasons. Do as you wish, it is between God and you.

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 10:44 AM
Cory,

Thankyou for the clarification. Per your statement "Just don't infringe upon mine, that is all I ask" I concur. If you feel that is where I was coming from I am sorry. I was not trying to infringe upon your right to celebrate, I was simply trying to answer your question and give my reasons. Do as you wish, it is between God and you.

ColoradoChief
10-31-2000, 10:49 AM
Idaho - The pygmy thing was more of a crack, I never have heard anything about pygmies, so it is anyones guess there.

As for halloween there are two way to look at it, one it is a celebration of evil and the other it is for protection against evil spirits. You pick the former, I think most people chose the latter.

Of coure then there is probably a larger majority of us that believe that it is just a fun time and don't worship satan or any of his demons in the process of the night.

[This message has been edited by morphius (edited 10-31-2000).]

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 10:51 AM
An it harm none do what thy wilt.

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 10:54 AM
Cormac,
I understand where you are coming from, but I disagree. I have watched the evolution of halloween over my short 37 years, but in that time I have seen it gradually degenerate. One indicator would be the movies that are out at this time of year. They seem to get more and more vial each year. In my opinion, the popularity of the holiday and it's degeneration has correlated with stripping away of Christian beliefs in our society. Being a Christian, this of course is of concern to me. I know that you see it differently.

Chief Red Pants
No, you are headed there because you're going to vote for Gore! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

DoktorSmith
10-31-2000, 10:57 AM
Gentlemen,
Apparently, it is not a "Druidian" ceremony at all and it does not celebrate evil, the devil, or the dead in any way. Here is the story...

The word itself, "Halloween," actually has its origins in the Catholic Church. It comes from a contracted corruption of All Hallows Eve. November 1, "All Hollows Day" (or "All Saints Day"), is a Catholic day of observance in honor of saints. But, in the 5th century BC, in Celtic Ireland, summer officially ended on October 31. The holiday was called Samhain (sow-en), the Celtic New year.

One story says that, on that day, the disembodied spirits of all those who had died throughout the preceding year would come back in search of living bodies to possess for the next year. It was believed to be their only hope for the afterlife. The Celts believed all laws of space and time were suspended during this time, allowing the spirit world to intermingle with the living.

**NEXT POST**

DoktorSmith
10-31-2000, 10:58 AM
Naturally, the still-living did not want to be possessed. So on the night of October 31, villagers would extinguish the fires in their homes, to make them cold and undesirable. They would then dress up in all manner of ghoulish costumes and noisily paraded around the neighborhood, being as destructive as possible in order to frighten away spirits looking for bodies to possess.

Probably a better explanation of why the Celts extinguished their fires was not to discourage spirit possession, but so that all the Celtic tribes could relight their fires from a common source, the Druidic fire that was kept burning in the Middle of Ireland, at Usinach.

Some accounts tell of how the Celts would burn someone at the stake who was thought to have already been possessed, as sort of a lesson to the spirits. Other accounts of Celtic history debunk these stories as myth.

The Romans adopted the Celtic practices as their own. But in the first century AD, they abandoned any practice of sacrificing of humans in favor of burning effigies.

**NEXT POST**

DoktorSmith
10-31-2000, 10:59 AM
The thrust of the practices also changed over time to become more ritualized. As belief in spirit possession waned, the practice of dressing up like hobgoblins, ghosts, and witches took on a more ceremonial role.

The custom of Halloween was brought to America in the 1840's by Irish immigrants fleeing their country's potato famine. At that time, the favorite pranks in New England included tipping over outhouses and unhinging fence gates.

The custom of trick-or-treating is thought to have originated not with the Irish Celts, but with a ninth-century European custom called souling. On November 2, All Souls Day, early Christians would walk from village to village begging for "soul cakes," made out of square pieces of bread with currants. The more soul cakes the beggars would receive, the more prayers they would promise to say on behalf of the dead relatives of the donors. At the time, it was believed that the dead remained in limbo for a time after death, and that prayer, even by strangers, could expedite a soul's passage to heaven. <P>

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 11:01 AM
morphius,
No, I would not even consider the idea that you or the vast vast majority of people are satan worshippers. That is a very small segment of society indeed.

It is the gradual and slow creeping of the acceptance of evil that bothers me. First we ignore, then we laugh, then we begin to dabble, then we begin to accept it into our lives. As a society I see us between the laughing and dabbling stages with the majority still laughing.

Many would agree that our society is on a downward slide morally. I just see this as another indicator of that fact.<BR>

ColoradoChief
10-31-2000, 11:07 AM
Idaho - Fair enough, I disagree and feel that Barney has done more to me then halloween ever will.

Morphius
How can anything that annoying be good...

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 11:10 AM
bishop_74,
While partly right, it was actually the Catholic church trying to lure it's own people away from pagan rituals. However, the net affect was a blurring of the practices together. Then the justification of the result. If you study Catholicism, this something that was done with most holidays. For example Easter. Why the name, the egg and the rabbit? It is a blend of the Christian celebration on the Christ's resurection and a pagan celebration of spring and fertility. Hence the symbols of the rabbit and egg. The word easter comes from ester or estra, a fertility goddess. The Catholic church tried to "christianise" many pagan holidays and the result is the current mess.<BR>

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 11:10 AM
bishop_74,
While partly right, it was actually the Catholic church trying to lure it's own people away from pagan rituals. However, the net affect was a blurring of the practices together. Then the justification of the result. If you study Catholicism, this something that was done with most holidays. For example Easter. Why the name, the egg and the rabbit? It is a blend of the Christian celebration of the Christ's resurection and a pagan celebration of spring and fertility. Hence the symbols of the rabbit and egg. The word easter comes from ester or estra, a fertility goddess. The Catholic church tried to "christianise" many pagan holidays and the result is the current mess.<BR>

DoktorSmith
10-31-2000, 11:11 AM
Idaho Chief,
I see your point. But do you think that we have less respect for life NOW than we have in the past. If you think about it, I am sure that you would see otherwise. We don't burn our undesireable neighbors at the stake anymore by labeling them as satan worshipers like we have in the past. We don't torture others because they are too poor to pay taxes... and so fourth. Thier is definately a problem with violence and disrespect for human life, but it is getting better, not worse. I think that it is propagated in areas that are less affluent. It is due to lack of education, and social status. Just my opinion. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif<BR>

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 11:12 AM
morphius, on that we agree!!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 11:14 AM
To avoid further point-counterpoint, Bob Dole would like to offer the following.

October 31 is a date. Lots of people have called it different things in the past. Most people now call October 31 "Halloween," though some may not. In the past, lots of different cultures may or may not have celebrated it in many different ways, based on some beliefs they may or may not have held. Now we may or may not dress ourselves and our kids up and go to parties and collect candy.

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 11:16 AM
Bishop,

We still do all those things in Texas.

KC Hawke
10-31-2000, 11:17 AM
this isn't quite what you were looking for was it Cory?

I thought the election thread was bad

KCFan95
10-31-2000, 11:20 AM
bishop_74,
If you take a long look at history you are correct. In the last few years we have again begun a slide backwards.

I believe that the reformation began the gradual (very gradual) climb to viewing of all human life as precious. This process was accelerated in the last 200 years by, in my option, this countries foundation of Christian principles in the constitution. As a society we are again eroding that foundation and hence our current moral slide.<BR>

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 11:31 AM
You mean the erosion that began with the advent of government social safety nets and organized religion's new focus on foreign missions and huge, expensive houses of worship?

DoktorSmith
10-31-2000, 11:39 AM
Idaho,
Yeah, and the unfortunate thing is that the power that is given to politicians these days is a major contributor. The constitution is a power tool for the politicians, as oppossed to a protector for us(the people). Morality is merely set aside in order to obtain a power position. They compromise these morals to get in to these positions and justify it by implying that they had to do it for the "greater cause", and then never follow through with their intentions. I am VERY dissapointed at where we have ended up. I guess it is my generations responsibility to correct the problem. **sigh** http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

Wonderful post though, and please have a Happy Halloween. I have stepped off my soapbox for the day.

GO CHIEFS!!!

bkkcoh
10-31-2000, 11:44 AM
BOO!!!

Oh, geez, hope I didn't offend anyone. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 12:47 PM
Barney! Barney! Barney! Barney!

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 12:53 PM
And please remember:

http://www.illusions.com/halloween/witchfly.jpg

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 01:33 PM
Idaho,

<a href="http://www.chick.com/catalog/books/0185.asp">The Two Babylons</a> appears to have been written by Rev. Alexander Hislop, and is a <a href="www.chick.com">Chick Publication</a>.

People can also order tracts to give away instead of candy. Jack Chick suggests <a href="http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0063/0063_01.asp">The Little Princess</a>,<a href="http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0032/0032_01.asp">Happy Halloween</a>,<a href="http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0058/0058_01.asp">BOO!</a>, and <a href="http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0011/0011_01.asp">The Trick</a>.

ColoradoChief
10-31-2000, 01:41 PM
http://morphiustech.homestead.com/files/pumpkin.jpg

KC Jones
10-31-2000, 02:01 PM
LOL at the picture Morph...I have to print it and show it to some friends...I love it...only wish I'd have thought of it...

CoryT...Office Space was not exactly Oscar winning material, yet everytime it comes on I find myself watching it....

Peter, I think I'm going to need you to work Saturday, umkay?....oh and I think I'll need you to come in Sunday too, kay?....

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

Milissa
10-31-2000, 02:12 PM
i've got my smurf costume on and am waiting for the ok to hit the streets...
sec
all i want is a bag of freaking candy.

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 02:18 PM
Bob Dole is with you sec!

Bob Dole wants Candy. (Or Terri, or Lindsay, or Kim, or...)

Milissa
10-31-2000, 02:21 PM
and nix the apples!!! you can get an apple from your grandma...
sec
apples bite

bkkcoh
10-31-2000, 02:23 PM
YYYyyeeeeaaahhhh, if you could just move your desk back as far as you can, we need to store some boxes in here, K, thanks! Oh, and I'll just need to..(yanks red stapler from Milton)..yyyyeeeeaaahhh, cya Milton.

YYYyyeeeeaaahhhh, I think I'm just gonna have to ask you to..come back another time.

I just stare at my terminal and zone out. I actually only do about 15 minutes of real work all day.

Anyway, it's been way cool today at work. Wore my sandals, khaki shorts, wrinkly t-shirt and old button down, unbuttoned, untucked to work today. I even brought the portable drill for cube maintenance, if necessary. Oh, and I met my new dept. mgr today, how classic!! Fortunately, he hasn't seen this cult-classic movie, not that he'd get it anyway.

ct
got a flaky network printer in my trunk too, not everyone bashes pumpkins on halloween http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

KC Jones
10-31-2000, 02:31 PM
Thanks for reminding me about the apples....I have to go out and buy my razor blades and straight pins... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/eek.gif

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

Snapper
10-31-2000, 02:41 PM
I'm thinking about crawling under my deck with a blow gun for the "trickers" and my trusty buck grunt to scare the begebies out of the chilrens....

I have an green M&M outfit from last year...with Nuts, of course http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif

cory,
Office space rules

Milissa
10-31-2000, 02:48 PM
i fill water balloons and wait on our upstairs deck over the front door...most of our neighbor kids wait to come by our house last.
sec

Snapper
10-31-2000, 02:56 PM
I guess if i really wanted to scare the kids, i'd dress up like ol' "gannonfan515" on the dark side....but i wouldn't put them through that....corporal punishment is illegal.

come to think of it, a halfhour chat session would be punishment enough...call GW with this as a new detention idea.

Mi_chief_fan
10-31-2000, 03:17 PM
I thought the funniest thing in Office Space was the name of the apartment complex that Peter lives in.....Morning Wood.
Mrs. Shakes and I were the only one in the theater that caught it.

bkkcoh
10-31-2000, 03:42 PM
http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif Thanks shakes, hadn't caught that one myself, learn somethin new every day.

Hey, along this same line, a couple coworkers and I have been trying to remember the character, not the actor, name of Peter's neighbor, the construction worker.
Lil help?

ct
'Breast exam on channel 9!!'

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 04:02 PM
Lawrence

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 04:06 PM
Anyone else notice that Tom is hit by the car, rendered paraplegic, released from the hospital and wins a huge settlement, all in the space of one week?

Bob Dole wishes he lived in a world with healthcare and judicial systems that efficient.

JOhn
10-31-2000, 04:13 PM
My g/f & I are dressing up like orange pylons. Then we're taking a green sheet to signify endzone grass & painting Chefs on it. The sheet will be stretched between us and attached to the bottom of our costumes. We'll walk around the party muttering "Great Googly Moogly" with Snickers bars in our hands....

ColoradoChief
10-31-2000, 04:19 PM
Kloster - May I be the first to say, at least on this thread, that you have some serious issues, but funny choice of an outfit.

KC Jones
10-31-2000, 04:19 PM
Mr. Dole, keep saying to yourself, "it's only a movie, it's only a movie"....

Maybe you're still thinking about showing candy your "O" face...

------------------
joe

JOhn
10-31-2000, 04:23 PM
Thanks, Packard. That's truly the nicest thing anyone has said to me today. I may have some issues but at least I don't have Five Hundred and Fifteen issues.....

ColoradoChief
10-31-2000, 04:26 PM
Kloster - LMAO! Almost subtle, almost. I probably made a mistake posting the Raider Fan slash move on the other BB, 136 posts and counting. I figured at most 25 and death, boy was I wrong.

Snapper
10-31-2000, 04:28 PM
kphob, thats funny,

lets do some math:

12" in a foot
3' in a yard
10mm in a Cm
10 commandments
5 rocky movies
"515" issues in a psycho

JOhn
10-31-2000, 04:31 PM
Thanks, Jeff. I can always count on you for a laugh at my twisted humor.

I made the mistake of reading the first 100 responses to that thread. Fortunately, my internet browsing ability is creeping today so it's been simple to restrain myself from posting. I'm certain I'd be booted from that board for posting some of the stuff that was going through my mind earlier.....

kc hopeful
10-31-2000, 04:32 PM
Gonna go as a Bricklayer, now gotta find that brick

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 04:34 PM
Bob Dole is going as a large drunk man. (Not driving, though...)

And you guys are really starting to make Bob Dole want to go read the stabs...

ColoradoChief
10-31-2000, 04:35 PM
Kloster - Miller bothers me, very pompus. I had to post this at the beggining of one of my posts, I think he is about to finally respond.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>Miller - We will try to make it simple for you, though I have a feeling that nothing is simple for you, except the wonder of the velcro shoe instead of laces.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can say that I was suprised that it made it without being deleted, not that I have ever had anything deleted over there, which is cool.

[This message has been edited by morphius (edited 10-31-2000).]

JOhn
10-31-2000, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I'm glad that guy didn't post over there prior to the breakup that I can recall. He and I would have gone toe-to-toe MANY times over some of his comments. He argues just for the sake of arguing in my observation. I've never responded to him that I can recall and that's a good thing for him....

AustinChief
10-31-2000, 04:48 PM
Well, Bob Dole needs to head out and work on his costume.

You all have a safe November 1 Eve.

KCWolfman
10-31-2000, 05:00 PM
morph, you (and I) shoulda known better than to expect anything close to equal treatment... the only standard there is whatever the standard is at the moment, subject to change at any whim... trying to say something substantive is asking to be whacked across the face with a 2x4, although not certainly by a gangsta-raiders fan...

I've seen so many of these hoodlums in LA when the Raiders were here... They're just looking for an excuse... It takes away from good fans like jq and ud who like to talk smack and football and just have fun...<BR>

JOhn
11-01-2000, 12:02 AM
Well, guys - my costume idea didn't go so well. It took me 1.5 hours to get home from work (15 miles). That, incidentally, is the longest I've ever been on the road. So, I had to manufacture the costumes in about 1.5 hours. They didn't turn out as well as I had planned but it was still good enough for 3rd place. 3rd place prize was a $50 gift certificate to Treasures (a titty bar). They offered 2 tix to 6 flags instead - since the g/f was involved and I accepted them rather than the Treasures thing..... I'm still kicking myself. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/wink.gif Plus, I didn't get an pics of the event and the costumes have since been trashed. Does anybody want a 6'x10' piece of astroturf (I ditched the sheet idea) with Chefs painted on it? The bidding starts at $10.....

AustinChief
11-01-2000, 11:00 AM
Bob Dole's costume worked out exactly as planned...

Gaz
11-01-2000, 11:43 AM
My wife had a great idea for costumes. I dressed up as a pirate and she dressed up as my treasure chest.

Yes, your imagination is accurate, she is one that can pull off the 'chest' part in treasure chest. She 'arranged' things to the point I couldn't stop looking at her. She had gold choclate coins and fake jewels glued and draped all over. She also was wearing a sash complete with padlock.

Needless to say we won the contest, plus she made several tips during the evening.

DoktorSmith
11-01-2000, 11:45 AM
mylonsd,
So as a pirate... you got some booty???<P>