PDA

View Full Version : Schottenheimer to the Giants?

ddpatterson
11-26-2000, 09:30 PM
No, not Kurt. We couldn't be so lucky.

From nflscoop:

With New York Giants head coach Jim Fassel issuing a playoff ultimatum last week, he is setting himself up for a new job because the G-Men will likely cut ties with the coach for two reasons: Failure to win the big game and Marty Schottenheimer. Yeah, you read that right. Giants General Manager Ernie Accorsi is interested in working with Schottenheimer again and Schottenheimer is interested in returning to the NFL if the situation is right. Accorsi and Schottenheimer both worked together in Cleveland during the mid-80s and both men have kept a solid relationship over the years. If Fassel is fired, Schottenheimer is a logical choice, but there is one hang-up with him: He is still under contract to the Kansas City Chiefs. Chiefs President Carl Peterson wants compensation for Schottenheimer and the cunning negotiator already has parameters established because the Green Bay Packers offered a No. 1 and No. 4 picks for Schottenheimer last year. "It will be some type of parameter, but maybe not exactly," Peterson told the New York Daily News. "I'm a negotiator. Everything is negotiable."

<BR>

flowergirl
11-26-2000, 09:37 PM
Like I said elsewhere, I think someone needs to double check to make sure he still has another year under contract, I thought for sure this was it. And furthermore, if Carl was offered a no 1 and a no 4 last year, what the hell was he freaking smoking not accepting that? 2 No 1's and 2 no 4's allows us to do a lot in the draft...

The-Man
11-26-2000, 09:40 PM
Carl did accept the 1 and 4 from Ron Wolf. But when contract talk between Schott and Wolf hit a snag, the deal was off.

Supposedly, Marty wanted way too much money.

ddpatterson
11-26-2000, 09:40 PM
I'm almost positive he's under contract one more year, and this article would seem to back that up. And Carl didn't turn down a 1st and 4th, Wolf decided against the deal after not wanting to pay Schott big $. I also think there was some difference in opinion over hiring assistants.

AustinChief
11-26-2000, 09:41 PM
DaWolf

The Packers were interested in Marty, until he started making extra demands...salary, control, etc., beyond what he and the Pack had originally talked about.

It wasn't Carl's fault that Marty priced himself out of a job.

------------------
Misplaced Chiefs Fan
Red and Gold on the Warpath
Nightwolf Graphics (http://www.nightwolfgraphics.com)

The-Man
11-26-2000, 09:42 PM
There is one more year left on Marty's contract BTW. I read an article about it a month or so ago.

Unfortunately, I don't have a link to prove it to you.

mikey23545
11-26-2000, 09:43 PM
With two first round picks Carl could fill both OG positions right away. Yahoo!

Political Observer
11-26-2000, 09:44 PM
Where ever Marty goes, te spineless jellyfish stooge just might follow. However, even though I never liked Marty, I believe even he can see that Spurt is not a DC. Would he even want him?
the milkman
thinks firing will be our onlt relief

flowergirl
11-26-2000, 09:45 PM
Well if it is Marty's fault, then I can't blame Carl. Hopefully the Giants make the move, but with our luck Marty will sit out another year...

Bwana
11-26-2000, 10:06 PM
NFLscoop is far from a rock solid source.

------------------
KANSAS CITY CHIEFS

mikey23545
11-26-2000, 10:13 PM
This is old news out here in the east. A lot of people thought the Giants wouldn't have extended Fassel's contract last year and that they would make a move for Marty.

Marty is perfect for the Giants - a deep tradition of tough defense and smashmouth ball.

Say what you want about Marty, but he could consistently get the team into the playoffs and could get them motivated for big regular season games. Am I sorry he is gone, nope. It was time for a change. It's just that Gunther was obviously the wrong choice.

Tomahawk 11
11-26-2000, 11:32 PM
Interesting notion but how does Marty work for espn if he is still under contract with KC ?

Man it's getting sour to speculate to this extent just to get rid of Kurt.
Just fire him, J Raye and Stock !