PDA

View Full Version : Another *sigh* RB rumor....

redshirt32
11-29-2000, 03:36 PM
With a breakout season, San Francisco 49ers RB Charlie Garner has earned the right to separate himself from the 49ers a season early and become an unrestricted free agent. According to an ESPN report, the asking price for Garner, who has rushed for over 1,000 yards (1018), has 537 receiving yards and has scored nine touchdowns, will be close to $4 million per season. The upside to Garner is that he doesn't put the ball on the ground. In 264 touch opportunities, Garner has fumbled the ball three times, losing two, for a statistical figure of 1 fumble per 0.011 carries. Look for the Kansas City Chiefs to strongly consider signing Garner as their no. 1 back for the 2001 campaign.

Anyone think its possible? 4 mill isn't too bad, Dillon will probably ask for upwards of 6 million. Garner wouldn't look too shabby in red and gold!

[This message has been edited by chiefsfan58 (edited 11-29-2000).]

autoxwes
11-29-2000, 03:50 PM
as you said *sigh*

I'll believe it when I see his mugshot on the websight with that turtle neck shirt on.

until then.... *sigh*

AustinChief
11-29-2000, 03:51 PM
I have watched Garner play 4 or 5 times this season. Being a Bronco fan, it would seriously bother me if Garner became a Chief. He is a complete player, and will force any defense to play honest. I can honestly say that I have not been afraid of a single Chief offensive player for years. Garner would change that.

Yosef_Malkovitch
11-29-2000, 03:55 PM
The sad part about this is that we could have had Garner in red & gold for a much smaller price had someone in the Chiefs organization realized that the backs we have now would never start for any other team, except for T-Rich.

We passed over Garner in favor of RBBC, which worked for the Dawson-led Chiefs because those backs had TALENT, something this collections of misfits sorely lacks.

mark

------------------
Kilgore is a noun, not a verb..

Chief Joseph
11-29-2000, 03:55 PM
Carl passed on Garner before, he won't sign him now. I am dreading another training camp of "Finding out what Mike Cloud can do."

rtmurphy223
11-29-2000, 06:00 PM
Garner sounds great and he also shreaded us in San Fran. Nah, 4 mil a year doesnt sound bad, and I would not waste a first round pick on a r/b, we need a veteran back there yesterday! Here comes the laughs, but in the first round if we dont go after a HOT d/b or safety free agent, I would take one in the first round, or a kick returner, but thats me.

G_Man
11-29-2000, 07:46 PM
If the Chiefs manage to sign a decent FA RB, the first round pick should be a defensive tackle, IMO.

Second, another CB

Third, OLB...MOVE MAZ TO THE MIDDLE!!

Fourth-Seventh, offensive line depth, kick returner (David Allen if he's available...YEAH, RIGHT!)

Maybe switch the 2nd and 3rd rounders, depending on who's available.

AND FOR GOD'S SAKE, TRADE FOR MICHAEL BISHOP AS A BACKUP QB!!

Garners size concerns me. He's fine under a coaching staff that is able to take advantage of his ability, but how many times can his body take 2 yard runs between the tackles? The way the O-line blocks, and the entire rushing playbook, would have to be changed. Of course, that would require a competent coaching staff.

Maybe it's time to look ahead to the 2002 draft!!! :mad:

[This message has been edited by Clint in Wichita (edited 11-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Clint in Wichita (edited 11-29-2000).]

The-Man
11-29-2000, 07:59 PM
A sleeper Defensive Tackle that we should all keep an eye on is Mario Fatafehi of K-State. He could probably be had in the third round.

2000 stats as of 11/20/00:

73 tackles - 14 for loss - 9 sacks

And all of you people who think I'm just being a homer here need to think about this.
Look at what Darren Howard has done with the Saints. He's a rookie from K-State that was picked in the second round and he's put up better numbers than any of our D-lineman.

40 tackles - 8 sacks

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 11-29-2000).]

The-Man
11-29-2000, 08:08 PM
I would bet the lives of the Admins of this BB that Fatafehi could come right in and put up better numbers than Chester McGlutton.

Who wants to bet? :p

Chets numbers for 2000 so far:

18 tackles and 2 sacks.

And lets not forget that the 2 sacks were complete luck... seriously.

On one of the sacks Chet had already had is *** blocked off and was laying on the ground. The QB just happened to run by him and McGlutton just tripped him as he ran by.

On the other sack, McGlutton was clearly offsides. He jumped the snap and went sideways between the gaurd and tackle and "sacked" the QB. No one else on either line had even moved yet. But they did not call the penalty.

Go back and look at the tape and you'll see what I mean.

[This message has been edited by Cannibal (edited 11-29-2000).]

wutamess
11-29-2000, 08:45 PM
Anything less than $4m per season would be a bargain for Garner IMO. As a rushing and receiving threat he is a poor man's Marshall Faulk, and nearly as good. His speed is what impressed me most watching him against the Chiefs. Compared to what Stephen Davis and Eddie George are getting, and Corey Dillon and Robert Smith will get, I think he's a bargain! I agree with Clint though that his size might be a problem in our *gag* system.

FWIW, I also agree that a DT is what we should spend our first pick on. If John Henderson (Tennessee) declares for the draft (he's a junior) he could be a great pick. I'm not sure he's worth a high pick, like we should have, but I doubt we'd be sorry.

Chief Henry
11-29-2000, 09:45 PM
Only one problem here, San Fran KNOWS what they have in Garner. My $$$ says SF re-signs him.

kcred
11-29-2000, 09:56 PM
We should have signed him the first %&*#ing time around! F*CK CARL PETERSON! http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

Spott
11-30-2000, 08:15 AM
I like this concept but without a major overhaul of our Oline any RB we might aquire would be wasted.

Our current RB's aren't great but their major failing is the fact that our Oline reeks at run blocking.