PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Fantasy Playoffs

TheFly
11-30-2000, 02:15 PM
Well guys despite the draft snafoo.....the league has been pretty fun and as the owner of KC Big Red Slammers I have to say it's been fun smacking you all except the leader.

The playoffs should be fun and should provide the path for me to win the championship.

ColoradoChief
11-30-2000, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I'm still absolutly amazed I made it to the playoffs after starting off so damn poorly. To jump from last to 7th in 3 weeks shocked me, and I beat some of the best teams getting there.

Luzap
11-30-2000, 03:01 PM
Like the Chiefs of 1999, one win would have put me in the playoffs, but my damn team couldnt pull it out.

Marcus Robinson and Stephen Davis were disappointments this year.

I hope we play next year, I'd really like a shot at a live draft and a 'non' snaking draft order being 8th and 9th in the last two years, I think I should probably get a chance to acutally pickup a fantasy player or two.

ColoradoChief
11-30-2000, 03:08 PM
Titus - That is how I plan to do it! No snaking and a live draft. There is no other way. I'm also going to suggest 1 less offensive and 1 more defensive player. I have had trouble keeping enough healthy OK players on my roster to start every week.

Luzap
11-30-2000, 03:59 PM
Morph: A discussion needs to be had about the keepers depending upon where our league winds up.

If we stay with Yahoo, I found it very hard to keep a sufficient # of 'bench' offensive players, and still make room for bench defensive players to cover bye weeks. Yahoo only gave us 18 players opposed to the 20 players that Sandbox gave. Those 2 extra spots can make a difference.

ColoradoChief
11-30-2000, 04:11 PM
Titus - So we want discuss 2 more spots on the roster, 1 less off starter, 1 more def starter, and no snake draft. Need to figure out when, where, how we are going to do the draft as well and if the same keeper system works for everyone.

TheFly
12-01-2000, 12:09 AM
First off.......we need to stay with yahoo......we need to live draft and use a 1-10 then 10 thru 1 draft format......if that's snaking then we need to snake. It's fair for everyone. Draft status needs to be determined again by record and that would put me at picking 9th. Snaking is the only fair way to do it in my opinion.

TheFly
12-01-2000, 12:11 AM
Also it's important to not drop an offensive player cause the defensive players only account for a very small percentage usually as compared with the offensive lineup. Bye weeks on the offensive players are a big issue in dropping a player and I don't propose that we do that.

TheFly
12-01-2000, 12:16 AM
The myth about a snaking draft is false. Espn does a snaking draft. I drafted 7th and had the 3rd highest scoring team and took second place in the league.

The yahoo league I'm in a position to win this week but will definitely get 2nd in we ran a snaking draft and I drafted 1st. I'm second in the standings currently.

In our league, we ran a non-live snaking draft this year. It was one person short of doing the right thing for the whole thing to go off without a hitch. I drafted 4th in this league. I finished second.

I sorry the snaking draft argument don't hold water. It's what you do after you draft that makes the difference in whether you win and lose. Especially in a keeper league.

Luzap
12-01-2000, 07:08 AM
Dr. Red: Im not sure if you are for or against the NON snaking draft.

Non-snaking would mean that if a person drafts 3rd in the draft. He would draft 3rd in every round.

A snaking draft would be if the draft went 1 thru 10 in odd rounds and then went 10 thru 1 in even rounds.

In a keeper league where your talent pool is less, because of the keepers, it puts the teams at the lower half at a greater disadvantage to be competitive.

I think what will aid things greatly this year moreso is the live draft. Our automated draft last year was messed up.<BR>

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 08:13 AM
I have to agree with Titus on the non-snaking. The theory behind the league is that it is a keeper league and the worse you do the better you draft next season. The snake is more fair, but we are not necesarily looking at fair, we are looking for people who sucked to be able to get better. Especially with the much higher number of players we are allowed to keep then most leagues.

Dr Red, your going to have to be more clear on your point about dropping offensive players. My point is we move the lineup to 20 players per team instead of the current 18, and on the gameday active roster (not benched players) have one less offensive player and one more defensive player. I think this will allow people to keep some players that get injured for a couple weeks if need be, without killing their team.

JOhn
12-01-2000, 08:36 AM
Roster sizes of 20 will reduce the available talent pool even more than it is currently. Have y'all seen the waiver wire lately? Anybody that gets more than 3 touches on Sundays is taken due to our immense # of offensive starters. 3 defensive players and 1 less offensive will assist in correcting this but if we increase roster count to 20 we'll be back in the same boat. I'm in favor of 3 offensive keepers (2 can be same position if you wish) and 1 defensive keeper. Anybody else keen on that idea?

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 08:40 AM
KPhob - Last year we did it with 3 O keepers and 1 D keeper, but all players had to be a diff position. It gives the people who don't have a running back a chance to get at least one on their squad. I personally think that is the best way to go, but of course I am willing to hear what everyone else says.

Luzap
12-01-2000, 08:47 AM
Phil: That's what we did coming into this year--3 offense and 1 defensive keeper. I would however, like to keep more than one at a position.

My point about the 20 man roster is mainly due to the bye weeks. I found it very difficult to maintain a 'bench' of available offensive players and at the same time accomodate an extra DB or DL/LB and Kicker for the byes.

JOhn
12-01-2000, 08:56 AM
Oh - I guess I meant to say one more offensive player keeper than we currently have. I know 2 of my 3 offensive keepers are on IR and that makes the keeper thing pretty worthless IMHO. If I had another offensive keeper still playing, it would be much easier to swallow but I wouldn't want to make it unfair for anybody else. I can also see the reason for making them be different positions but if we went to a 4 offensive keeper rule, it would be virtually impossible to make them different positions unless somebody has a TE/K worth keeping.

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 09:07 AM
Phil - Look at my team, I have Payton and uhm, well, uhm. My RB position is interesting, I have Staley, TD, Lamar Smith and Jamal Lewis, but my WR position is weak with Hillard, Toomer, Rison, Schroeder and Glenn.

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 09:10 AM
I should add that I lost a couple to IR, and even have Staley still on my team because I couldn't find anyone to replace him. So maybe the 20 is a bit much, and maybe 19 is a little better.

[This message has been edited by morphius (edited 12-01-2000).]

JOhn
12-01-2000, 09:10 AM
Jeff, I think you should keep Peyton and waive your right to retain all other players given their worthlessness. I may opt to do the same.

Luzap
12-01-2000, 09:12 AM
I dont have a consistent QB, I have one RB, Rod Smith, and no consistent WR.

Finding 3 keepers on offense will be tough this offseason.

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 09:12 AM
The worst thing is that Jamel Lewis and Lamar Smith are my best players. TD is worthless and Staley is as inconsistent as anyone.

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 09:14 AM
Titus and Phil - Maybe you can join the few of us that had to keep their kicker or their TE for next season. It was horrible announcing that I was going to keep a kicker.

JOhn
12-01-2000, 09:14 AM
Titus,

I can't believe I'm saying this but there are TONS of viable keepers on waivers due to IR. I picked up Joey Galloway last week because I intend to keep him. Tim Couch is quickly becoming a pretty nice QB prospect and I think he's available.

JOhn
12-01-2000, 09:17 AM
Jeff, didn't you keep Todd Peterson?

I kept Jeff Blake and Michael Westbrook. I dropped my defensive keeper 2 weeks into the season and I think I played Blake one week.

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 09:20 AM
I kept Peyton, Galloway, Vanderjact and Griffith, if I remember correctly.

Luzap
12-01-2000, 09:47 AM
Yes, Phil, but I couldnt afford to play for next year until just this week as I was fighting to make the playoffs.

I have looked around as you suggested, I just dont see anything worth picking up at this point.

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 10:00 AM
I plan on using last weeks final results for the draft next season, and this time I saved it. Seems the NFL doesn't look at the post season as something to base the draft on, since we drafted after some teams that made the playoffs. Seem fair to everyone else?

Luzap
12-01-2000, 10:02 AM
Yes. Would roster moves after the end of games Sunday be elidigible for Keepers?

If not, I wont waste my time scouring the WW for IR potential keepers for next year.

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 10:06 AM
Titus - Seems a bit unfair to count the weeks after playoff's start, eliminated teams can afford to hunt people down while playoff teams can't do the same. I'm thinking week 13 and 14 seems fair, so last week and this week. Any feelings?

JOhn
12-01-2000, 10:22 AM
I dunno if I made the playoffs or not but I doubt it.... That having been said, I think that allowing players picked up off waivers to be eligible as keepers is yet another advantage non-playoff teams should have to decrease the gap with the playoff teams. Also, since we didn't establish this rule beforehand, it's a little difficult to enforce it now. Don't you think?

Additionally, playoff teams should have at least ONE player they could drop if they wanted to in order to grab a potential keeper off waivers. It's not like there are very many keepers out there. I view this as a non-issue and there should be no interferance/rule regarding it. I admit, I do have a bias since I thought about this ahead of time and selected Galloway so you guys discuss amongst yourselves.

JOhn
12-01-2000, 10:23 AM
I do, however, agree that the draft order should be based on last weeks results.

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 10:30 AM
Kloster - Your playing Dartgod this week in the playoffs.

As for the rule, the rule is that you have to have a player on your roster the last weeks of the season to be able to keep them, it is an established rule. It just has not been announced recently, but it was one of the rules of the keeper league. I can see there being issues, so I will gladly listen to anyones thought.

Thanks for the email, I have yours saved.

Luzap
12-01-2000, 10:34 AM
Phil: If you picked up Galloway before this Tuesday AM, then Galloway is a valid pickup.

Last year our rule was to be an elidgible keeper, the player had to be on your roster the last 2 weeks of the season. Since the 'season' ended on Monday Night, Galloway to be a valid pick based on last years rules if you had him on your roster during Week 13.

I will say this, whatever is decided, we need to publish the rules agreed at the beginning of the season and make rule changes after the SB has been played.

JOhn
12-01-2000, 10:37 AM
Well, I don't really care either way because I think I picked up Galloway prior to the end of the season. However, if we are really interested in providing the lower half of the standings an advantage to move into the upper half next year, I think we should allow them to pickup the IR players at will. Like I said, it won't be a huge advantage but it could help a little and the playoff teams have the same opportunity - they'll just have to weigh which player they elect to drop a little more heavily with the playoffs in mind.

I play Dartgod, huh? Dartgod, I'm gonna whip your *** . :) I plan to score at least 45 pts this week so you better be able to beat that.

ColoradoChief
12-01-2000, 10:45 AM
Phil - You are already leading 8 to 0!

Titus - In retrospect I should have sent out the rules again during the season, but have to admit being a little preoccupied with getting the wife home. Now that she is home I'm starting to catch up on lots of things.

JOhn
12-01-2000, 11:11 AM
I'm leading 8-1 and the best news about that is that Randy Moss only scored 1 for Dartgod. Herman Moore & Moss essentially cancel each other out and that's a MAJOR score for me. Also, Dartgod is playing Ricky Williams so I have a shot of advancing to the next round. I'm not counting my chickens yet because I could tank easily. EJames hasn't had much production lately and my other players are exactly stellar.

TheFly
12-01-2000, 11:50 AM
You can be competitive no matter the draft format is my point. All 3 drafts I drafted in this year were snakes. I like snaking drafts. I drafted all over the spectrum in snaking drafts and I have consistently finished in second place in all three leagues I'm in.

My point is that if you draft well it doesn't matter the draft format. There are just as many advantages to disadvantages to both systems. I thought about your point on it though and don't mind giving it a try for one year. But I finished in 7th place last year and finished in second this year utilizing a snaking draft.

Luzap
12-01-2000, 11:57 AM
Red: the Draft, this year, was screwed up. To give you an example, if you go back and look at the draft, in the 4th round KC BullsEyes was able to pick up Isaac Bruce when he should have drafted his last keeper. Obviously, this was not his fault because his last keeper had already been taken due to an earlier screw up in the draft and he possibly could have obtained Bruce at a later date.

I think the most important piece in this situation is the live draft. If it were live, Im sure we'd see a different outcome.

To give you an example, I really wanted to pick up a QB with my first 'available' pick (5th round) and I got Rod Smith. It worked out good for me, but had it been live, I would have been inclined to pick up a QB with my 5th round pick.

TheFly
12-01-2000, 12:12 PM
As far as adding players to the formal scoring system and expanding the roster.......fine........as long as it's not a major difference.

dnvrCHIEFSfn
12-01-2000, 03:07 PM
Thought I'd chime in here real quickly, I don't get much time too read here much between work and school.

I like the idea of adding a couple of roster spots and dropping one offensive starter and adding a defensive starter.

As far as the draft goes, I definately want to do a live draft next year. I'm a bit undecided on the "snaking" vs. "non-snaking". I'm not sure there is such a great advantage either way. I'll go with the majority on this one.

And Phil, you actually lead 8-0. I don't have Randy Moss, you must be thinking of someone else. And I started Ricky Watters, not Williams. I hope I can score at least 45 points. The last two weeks have been kinda bad. My wife beat me in another Yahoo league I'm in and she was missing 2 offensive starters. She scored 37.5 points between her 2 defensive starters!! OUCH!

JOhn
12-01-2000, 03:10 PM
DG,

I guess the yahoo live scoring thing I clicked was screwed up when I clicked it this morning. I'm dead as far as I'm concerned. Can I concede now?

dnvrCHIEFSfn
12-01-2000, 03:16 PM
Sure!! http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif