PDA

View Full Version : Bennett back! Cloud or Moreau to be inactive. Could this be...

Devin Vierth
11-02-2000, 11:11 AM
the end of the line for one (or both)of these two?

I know many of you are high on Moreau, but he has been mainly used in short yardage situations. With Bennett back, will he be needed? Plus, I heard Bill Maas say the other day, the players are uncomfortable with Moreau.

Cloud is a return man, but probably could be replaced in that department. Benching Cloud, means all our offense is between the tackles, (not that he has seen the field in the last couple of games anyway).

Interesting call! But none the less, this call, IMO, is a clear indicator we will be looking to FA (Dillon, Smith, Garner, etc) or the draft next year.

[This message has been edited by Coogs (edited 11-02-2000).]

bkkcoh
11-02-2000, 11:38 AM
Or perhaps Bennett will be FB full-time, with TRich as primary HB. Which was the plan coming out of preseason, anyway.

------------------
ct

[b]Give TRich the Ball!!!
And a Trip to Hawaii!!!</B>

KC_red
11-02-2000, 11:48 AM
Coogs - Did Maas say why the players were uncomfortable with Moreau? Not so seriously, are you saying that he may be voted off the "island" that is the Chiefs? (movie/name reference here) http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

KC Jones
11-02-2000, 11:52 AM
Did Mass say why the players weren't comfortable with Moreau?

Cloud hasn't been given a fair shot IMO...just one game I wish Gun would put him in and give him the ball 20 times and see what he can do...if he ****s up...at least we would know...

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

Gaz
11-02-2000, 11:53 AM
If all this pans out we are doomed.

Scorpdork
11-02-2000, 11:54 AM
Moreau will be out this week!IMHO http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/smile.gif

DIEHARDCHIEF
11-02-2000, 12:03 PM
Everyone seems to be forgetting Bennett's performance in his only action this year. Let me refresh your memory:
6 carries
-4 yards
-0.7 ypc
2 yard long
0 TD

I seem to remember that we were all quite happy when he was injured not that he was hurt but that he would not be running for -1 yard for a while. And now we are applauding his return. It scares me to think what Gun will do with Bennett. Something tells me he will get more carries than he should and Gun will justify this with, "trying to kick start the run game" Scary thought if you ask me.

[This message has been edited by DJay23 (edited 11-02-2000).]

Devin Vierth
11-02-2000, 12:08 PM
DJay23,

I definately am not a Bennett fan.

Maas did not say why the players were uncomfortable with Moreau.

DIEHARDCHIEF
11-02-2000, 12:09 PM
Well, maybe not everyone.

11-02-2000, 12:11 PM
DJay- I think the reason so many ppl are excited about Bennett's return is that we are DESPERATE. Our running game is non-existent. Since nothing we've tried seems to work, I'm hoping that something new WILL work.

I keep thinking "I know Bennett sucks, but maybe since he's such a big 'back, maybe he'll be able to smash his way for 3 or 4 ypc." Unreasonable, I know, but hey, like I said, I'm desperate. If I thought it would help, I'd be willing to put Warren Moon in as RB.

I like the thought of a T-Rich and Moreau backfield better though. I wonder what the deal is with Frank and the other players.

AustinChief
11-02-2000, 12:11 PM
Bob Dole has been dreading the return of Bennett. Just a less effective version of Kimble and Tony R, IBDHO. Like it or not, Cloud is the only outside offensive threat we've seen. Sure, he failed to see the cutback one week, but more recently showed that he can make the corner and has the awareness to stretch for the endzone.

Bob Dole has been extremely disappointed that we have not seen anything outside on the ground since the TD on Monday night. Makes absolutely no sense at all.

Luzap
11-02-2000, 12:19 PM
I agree w/DJay and Bob Dole. Bennett's return to the game will only hurt our already pathetic running game.

Exhibit A is the toss sweeps that DB ran for -4 yards in our loss to Indy. Bennett is and was an excellent blocker, but he's not a RB.

Give Cloud the damn ball and let's get on with it. We need quick hitting off tackle running plays. This BS up the middle damn near lost us the Seattle game and did lose us the Oakland game. We can only run up the middle after we've scored 40+ points and are up by 20 or so. Then the middle is weak enough for our pathetic up the middle attack.

DIEHARDCHIEF
11-02-2000, 12:23 PM
Yosef,
I'm with you, I keep thinking (hoping) Bennett comes out and runs over people and tires them out for 3-4 yards per carry. I like him even better in short yardage and goal line situations. However, I think we all know he will be over utilized to the point of featuring him just because he's "different" TRich is the only one who has shown anything consistently this year, I say stick with him and Kimble. If we continue to win, stay true to this course, but if we start to slide, I say give Moreau and Cloud each a game to prove themselves so we don't go into the off season scratching our heads about what we may "potentially" have on our roster.

AustinChief
11-02-2000, 12:26 PM
Hall also has the speed to hit the corner, but Bob Dole has already decided that the powers-that-be have declared Dante isn't going to see RB until he turns in some solid, consistent returns on ST. (Bob Dole fails to see the correlation, but is convinced it is factual.)

wutamess
11-02-2000, 12:27 PM
I am also disappointed by the return of Bennett (happy for him personally, but....). He has nothing to add to an already feeble rushing attack. The only way he could be utilised is to block for T-Rich if he was to get the start at RB, and I would be just as happy to see Kimble do that. Maybe he could back up at the FB spot for 10-15 snaps to give Kimble or T-Rich a breather.

I wonder what Maas was talking about regarding Moreau?!?!?!

Luzap
11-02-2000, 12:31 PM
Has anyone ever wondered or heard why KC doesnt use a split back set? I mean as a rushing team wouldn't having two backs in that set confuse the defense even a little bit?

I know, I know, we'd still run up the middle, but at least when we lined up the defense might stop and think for a second.

AustinChief
11-02-2000, 12:31 PM
Bob Dole isn't sure Maas knows what he's talking about any more when it comes to "inside info." Ever notice that his reports relative to the Chiefs are always of a negative nature? Sounds like he's got one source, and someone with an axe to grind, at that.

AustinChief
11-02-2000, 12:33 PM
Thanks Titus. You saved Bob Dole having to type that message for the 400,000th time.

Boise_Chief
11-02-2000, 12:37 PM
Bob, I remember Hall at Texas A.M. As I recall he was a hell of a back running outside and off tackle. I tend to believe that he's having trouble picking up the offense and perhaps his blocking is weak is why he's not able to leapfrog Cloud and Moreau. Just my thoughts anyway.

Devin Vierth
11-02-2000, 12:38 PM
Bob,

I've noticed Maas being critical of the Chiefs. It seems kind of odd since he is employeed to do the pre-season games, that he would always be biting the hand that feeds him so to speak.

mikey23545
11-02-2000, 12:39 PM
I, like Bob Dole, wonder who is Maas' source. He was the reporter who broke the "Gunther contemplated retirement" story. Whoever it is, it does appear that they like to leak negative information.

As to Bennett, I say let the rookies play. IMO Bennett and Moreau are identical so there is no reason to start both of them. Cloud has the outside speed, but ever since his 15 yard TD rush he has only been given the ball three times up the gut.

I think Gunther is grasping at straws if he thinks Bennett is the answer.

Devin Vierth
11-02-2000, 12:45 PM
When the choice comes as to which one of these two will be inactive, I wonder if Gunther will remember back to the 2nd half of last years Raiders game. That was Clouds only opportunity to show his stuff as a Chief, and he was very effective in that game.

Also, last Sunday, the only Charger to have any success running the ball was Fletcher. The Chargers "big" backs were stuffed time and time again. Fletcher was able to beat them to the corner.

If this was my decision, Cloud plays, and plays a lot Sunday. This is a must game.

[This message has been edited by Coogs (edited 11-02-2000).]

AustinChief
11-02-2000, 12:48 PM
The Cloud thing is mystifying to Bob Dole. Another example of the coaching staff's "well that worked...let's try something else" strategy. (Note that Bob Dole has seen significant improvement in the staff, but still has problems with it.)

And for Hall's lack of blocking, Bob Dole would at least like to see him used on 3 plays in one game. First, there is no film of him in the KC offense, so it would create at least some confusion for the D.

Use him first as a decoy only, quick play-action dump to Gonzo over the middle. Second, use him on an outside run where his ability to block makes no difference, since he has the ball. Third play, run him outside exactly like the first, except hand the ball to DA for the reverse.

KC Jones
11-02-2000, 12:54 PM
It is mystifying....one of the best runs of the season and for a TD, was Clouds 15 yard run...AROUND END...against the Hawks...Gun are you listening?...

I don't care if Cloud is totally worthless or not...but I'd like the opportunity to see it with my own eyes...IMO, short of getting a big name FA or draft, Cloud and TRich are our best shots at featured backs...Hall would be exciting used in the Dunn/Kaufmann role...

GUN ARE YOU OUT THERE?

------------------
joe

"The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."

Luzap
11-02-2000, 12:59 PM
I'd like to think I've seen enough football to understand some of the basics about football and the ebb and flow of games. With that said, is it just me or do other people believe that a RB gets better as the game goes on.

Sure the first few carries might be stuffed, but gradually, the RB gets into the 'flow' of the game.

Of course, there are games when even the best RB gets shut down, but I dont think KC has ever even had one RB in the game to get into this 'flow'.

ansonsdad
11-02-2000, 12:59 PM
Have the Chiefs run the reverse to DA this year? I can't recall.

I'm baffled as to why they have not cut Bennett. What value does he bring to this team that we don't ineptly carry in the current stable. If I had a vote, I would chose TR and Cloud in the backfield. We've proven to a horrifying point that we are unable to run up the gut. It's time to let TR do some blocking and get Cloud off tackle and around the corners.

KC Jones
11-02-2000, 01:06 PM
Titus, how right you are....

Ever watch a game with Barry Sanders?...he gets stopped for losses on 2 out of 3 plays but on the third play he breaks it for 80 yards...look at Dillon a couple of weeks ago...he gains 70 some yards in the 1st half and 200 some in the second...

I always wondered how many yards Barry Sanders would've had had he played behind an offensive line like we had/have...not as many as you might think because he probably would've been benched after the first negative attempt... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

------------------
joe

autoxwes
11-02-2000, 01:28 PM
You know what is interesting is the fact that Gun keeps mentioning how he admired so and so as a coach and he learned so much from them. I'd like to know of one - JUST ONE DAMN COACH in the NFL that does this **** with backs. And why does he think that Dillon ran for 278 yards in one damn game (I know - the Donkey's can't tackle http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif)??? Because his *** got the damn ball over and over. Dammit - put Cloud or TRich or Kimble or freak man MAZ back there and give him the ball!!!! DAMNIT THIS MAKES ME MAD!!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/mad.gif

Oh and by they way - kick the **** outa the Raiders - okay!

------------------
Wade

KC_red
11-02-2000, 01:32 PM
Another factor to consider with these guys is their pass-catching/pass blocking ability. Even though they run the "Hackett" routes (3 yd outs), they need to be convincing to the D in order to help free up the other receivers/tightends. This is the main reason that I liked the idea of Anders being back there. I would grade him high in all areas (experience, blocking, pass catching) except for running. While I would give him an A or B for his good qualities, I would give him a C for the running.

This offense has just as much going for it as the Rams with one exception. A receiving running back. The large receivers and tightends create mismatches in the secondary and with a good receiving running back, we could really confuse opposing Ds.

So out of our stable, who can catch well? Can they block well too? I really don't know how well Moreau, Cloud, or Hall would do in these situations. I think we all should know by now that Richardson and Anders can handle the catching/blocking while Bennett is somewhere in the middle of this whole mess.

G_Man
11-02-2000, 01:59 PM
After this season, here's what I'd to see as far as the Chiefs' backfield personnel:

Cut/Trade/Whack Bennett, Anders, Cloud, and Moreau...MAYBE keep Bennett strictly as a backup FB.

Go after a premier FA, or move up in the draft to grab a top-notch RB. I say move up because it looks like they'll be drafting around #20 again, if not lower.

As far as pass-catching RBs in college, Deuce McAllister seems to be the cream of the crop, but I haven't been keeping up with him...I'm not sure how he's doing this year.

broncosrule
11-02-2000, 05:18 PM
Moreau and Cloud could both become excellent backs, given the opportunity, IMO. A good back needs time and experience to reach a true level of understanding of the offense he is in and the defense that is attempting to stop him. Neither of these two have received that experience. I think that either of these guys could perform as well as, if not better than, Mike Anderson, given the situation. They both just need a chance. Maybe releasing Anders and Bennet after the season would prove to be the best medicine. (O-line help as well!)

------------------
GO PITT!

Chief Henry
11-02-2000, 06:32 PM
What IF the running game really picks up with Bennett back in the lineup? I'm not expecting it. IMHO, NO DAVE SZOTT = NO RUNNING GAME. We went through this a couple of years ago, only now it's worse.

To stick with the topic, I'd sit Moreau.

LD for KC
11-02-2000, 07:27 PM
Bennett is a waste of roster space, IMO. Just give Cloud the damn ball! Let's find out if he's a player or not!

------------------

Red Eyes
A message to The Three Stooges from Judge Smaels.
"Well, the world needs ditch diggers, too"

elvislivesinkc
11-02-2000, 07:41 PM
I couldn't agree more. We should have dumped this guy along with Shehee.

------------------
Frazod

CRUSH YOUR ENEMIES, SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE YOU, AND HEAR THE LAMENTATIONS OF DENISE! DEATH TO OAKLAND!

AustinChief
12-05-2000, 10:07 AM
Bob Dole just thought this was an interesting thread...

Funny how a lot of folks had this figured out a month ago.