PDA

View Full Version : GrrrrrrBackers and Bashers.....

Chieffan
12-10-2000, 02:39 PM
Lets hear you comments!!

------------------
TWB

flowergirl
12-10-2000, 02:53 PM
We won...

Warrior5
12-10-2000, 03:24 PM
Elvis looked good today, with the exception of that 1st INT. I swear the Carolina guy was so open, I thought WE had scored, then saw the red jersies. The other bounced off DAs helmet, so won't condemn him there. Other than that, and with TR running, the offense was great, without the turnovers. Overall I would grade him about a B.

flowergirl
12-10-2000, 03:39 PM
And he ran the ball 5 times... :)

Spott
12-10-2000, 04:54 PM
It'll be interesting to see how the Grbitchers spin this one. At various times in the last two weeks I heard:

1. Elvis never runs for first downs
2. He puts up good numbers but only wins count.
3. He's selfish. He never congratulates his receivers after a TD catch.

Ok, today we had EG scrambling for first downs, including that 20yrd run. His numbers were decent and we got the win. He was the first to congratulate Gonzo after the ricochet TD catch.

I wonder what their newest EG related whine will be?

htismaqe
12-10-2000, 08:37 PM
I have been reluctant to get in these discussions,but since all the other Grbashers seem to be afraid, I guess I will step in. I know that he is a good passer, but as I have said before I give alot of credit to our receiving corps. Again, that is not to take away from his arm. But my problems with him come from the D-U-M dumb mistakes he makes. Yes I know that every one makes those mistakes, but he seems to make them on a regular basis. As for the running, yes he had a great run today. I was impressed. I didn't know he could do that. I am sure he surprised alot of people. But there was a run before that, when he slid after a 2 yard pick up. He could have stayed up longer, but didn't. And don't tell me about how he was surrounded. He had how many guys hot on his tail on that big run? My point is, if he can run so well, why doesn't he give it his all every time he takes off? I mean we need a leader out there who will say, I'm going to cary this team to a victory myself if I have to. And then actually go out and attempt to do it. We had been on 5 game losing streak, he should have been doing stuff like this along. Willing his team to win. Giving it 110% all the time. While he has improved, I still don't want him on my team. I decided I wanted him gone 2 years ago after the Monday night loss (to I think Pitt) and he came out and started pointing fingers at his teammates. It is not just because of his play. To me loyalty is a very big thing, and he showed none that night. Alright start picking me apart, and mutalating me.

------------------
WILDCATS 29
corn balls 28

flowergirl
12-10-2000, 09:35 PM
How they'll spin it? LOL, just go to the other board and see how they're spinning it. Now he's just lucky and he doesn't throw any passes on the money and he has no heart.

Of course when I point out that he completed 70% of his passes today and a couple of TD's were dropped, one guy told me that it isn't the reciever's job to catch the ball, it is Grbac's job to get it to them so they can make easier catches, and another guy saying I loved to make excuses...

mikey23545
12-10-2000, 10:02 PM
Ck,

Whether you admit it or not, Elvis has not run the ball effectively in the past and was unwilling to take a hit to get a first down. Similarly, this was one of the first times he ran to the endzone to congratulate a receiver on a TD pass. Are they steps in the right direction? Yes, and good for him. Thank God he is finally coming around, it has only taken him 8 1/2 years.

Elvis has shown a lot this past week beginning with accepting the fact that he choked big time in New England. Hopefully he will continue to grow. I'd like to see him do what Whitlock suggests in today's article and demand that Carl obtain a top notch HB prior to renegotiating his contract.

flowergirl
12-11-2000, 12:24 AM
What I don't understand is this knock about congradulating his recievers. He always has gone to the end zone and done that. Hell I even watched an old Michigan/Notre Dame game on ESPN Classic and he was running to the end zone congradulating Desmond Howard...

milkman
12-11-2000, 12:37 AM
ELVIS is allways trying to make things happen hell sometimes he throws into double coverage or over and under throws the ball but he is all heart and is trying to get the ball to the great recivers we have. and completes 70% of his passes and is ranked #2 in the NFL in passing not bad? and should be named as a backup in the prowbowl?? he is just 1 man and is trying to make things happen when and if he can.

------------------
Dont just say it, BRINGGGGG ITTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

KCFan95
12-11-2000, 07:33 AM
I just wonder about the Grbashers. They seem to want him to be perfect. Never make a bad decision. Never miss a throw. Never throw the ball too hard or too soft. Never to high or to low.

I wonder....do they critic there own job performance so harshly? Do they hold themselves to the same standard? How glad are they that their Managers aren't as critical about their job performance?

I'm thinking that their standards are just a bit lower...no one is perfect. http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

autoxwes
12-11-2000, 08:00 AM
Do Grbashers really want Elvis to win and do well? I think not. Do they want to Chiefs to win and do well? I think so. Most people that have been ripping Elvis a new one have been doing it so long that their pride no longer will allow them to change their stance. You should hear my mother whine about him. There is not a Basher on either board that hates this guy like she does :D. Explain and show to her that he is not the problem and it goes on deaf ears, just like all bashers.

I only wish that this could be put to rest because Elvis Grbac is not a problem with this team that we need to discuss.

Spott
12-11-2000, 08:18 AM
Like dawolf I don't understand the big deal about running into the endzone to congratulate a TD. This isn't Pop Warner. These guys have scored TD's before. FWIW I have seen him numerous times run to the endzone to congratulate a catch. I've also seen him wait till he and the receiver get to the sideline. What's the difference?

As for his running, personally I don't like my QB's running around too much. LB's and safeties LOVE to get a clean shot on a QB. If you're slow to begin with and your backups are as bad as ours, then throw the ball away and leave the scrambling to McNabb and Gannon.

KC Jones
12-11-2000, 11:20 AM
He was also quick to console Gonzo after he dropped the TD pass later...he has become our leader...like it or not...I like it...he's the best QB we have and I don't see any better that we could get even if we wanted too...

Chieficus
12-11-2000, 11:47 AM
ck_IN's reply #4 is right on the money. If Grbashers has been asked before the season started to list their standards for a good QB, Elvis would have met almost all of the reasonable ones. The Grbashers just keep coming up with vaguer and vaguer standards to apply to Grbac. Not congratulating the receivers? Please.

Also, since when did the Chiefs have such an outstanding receiving corps? Before the season started, everyone thought that Gonzo was great and I personally thought that Alexander and Lockett were a good #2/#3 combo, but I sure as hell don't remember anybody on this board or in the national press talking about how great our receiving corps was. Discounting Grbac's success by pointing to the quality of our receivers is bogus, in my mind, because (i) our receiving corps wasn't touted until after the season started and (ii) there can not be many other receiver corps that have dropped more sure TD passes this year than ours has.

AustinChief
12-11-2000, 11:54 AM
Hader - While I agree that Grbac needs to think more completely, you are complaining about a 5 game losing streak where he has passed over 300 yds in all but one game (which he only missed by 24 yds), and over 500 in one as well.

Let's not blame those loses on Grbac, with the possible exception of not finishing the rabbit out of the hat trick against NE. Our defense and ST has let us down again and again.

Luzap
12-11-2000, 01:43 PM
I would like to add that before the season began the 3700yd mark was discussed. The usual suspects said that there was little or no chance of Elvis given his current ability to read defenses would ever throw for 3700+ yards.

He's reached that point. Now, the argument has been put forth, mainly by fluffy, that ANY QB that throws as much as EG could put up those kind of numbers.

Someone said that if EG went over 4K in a season, he would be in very elite company, I guess the standard, now in week 15, has gone from ELITE to ANYONE.

AustinChief
12-11-2000, 01:55 PM
Does Elvis still suffer from craniorectal dysfunction sometimes? Yes. But so does almost any quarterback (or running back, of receiver, or...)

Elvis has improved over the past 2 seasons, and improved a lot, IBDHO. Bob Dole remembers after game one commenting that Elvis actually looked off one receiver and went to his second, which at that point was something new (and something the bashers harped on repeatedly last season).

As far as the inability/unwillingness to scramble: Bob Dole seems to remember reading before last season that the coaching staff had instructed Elvis to throw it away rather than scramble, because he had missed significant playing time due to injuries. Bob Dole has no reason to believe that situation changed this season. If it comes down to Elvis seldom scrambling for a first downs, or Elvis missing a couple of games do to an injury received when scrambling, Bob Dole will take the seldom scramble option.

Like any other player on a team, each needs to be evaluated and their skills used to an advantage. Elvis ain't no speed demon, so Bob Dole is comfortable with the "don't scramble" mode.

wutamess
12-11-2000, 01:57 PM
2000 Season Stats:

Peyton Manning
298 of 483 for 3792 yards, 28 TDs & 14 INTs
31 rushes for 99 yds with 0 TDs.

Elvis Grbac
294 of 487 for 3779 yards, 27 TDs & 14 INTs
25 rushes for 57 yds with 1 TD.

Peyton Manning has Edgerrin James in the backfield. Grbac has T-Rich, Anders, Moreau, Cloud and the incomparable Bennett in the backfield.

My God, Grbac sucks! http://www.chiefsplanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

Luzap
12-11-2000, 02:11 PM
Cormac: you also forgot to mention EG's WR corps which is the real reason for these high statistics.

AustinChief
12-11-2000, 02:15 PM
Gregg - LTNS. How are you? Actually, I think that Harrison is no more an asset to the colts than Gonzalez is to our team.

autoxwes
12-11-2000, 02:17 PM
Damm, and if I'm not mistaken, I don't think Peyton the all mighty has won a playoff game.

Luzap
12-11-2000, 02:20 PM
Good, Russ, thanks.

Harrison, Wilkins/E.G Green, Pathon, Dilger

v.

Alexander, Morris, Lockett, Gonzalez

Would EG do even better or worse with Manning's corps?

Chieficus
12-11-2000, 02:42 PM
Here's an excerpt from the Sports Illustrated Team Preview for the Chiefs. It captures the flavor of how our WR corps was regarded before the season started:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/2000/nfl_preview/news/2000/07/16/chiefs_preview/

"[question #]4.) Do you want to know where the Chiefs' top wideout, Derrick Alexander, finished among the NFL's wide receivers? Answer: 42nd."

I say that anyone who thinks Elvis' passing numbers are great because he has a great WR corps has it *** -backwards.<P>

AustinChief
12-11-2000, 03:22 PM
Gregg - I see, overall I do stand corrected. Thanks

seclark
12-11-2000, 05:09 PM
I think E had another "brain fart" when there was 2:20+ time left in the first half and he couldn't get a play off b4 the 2:00 warning, he looked surprised when they blew the whistle!