PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs averaged 182.5 ypg Rushing vs. Donx in '99

Mult9
09-19-2000, 07:39 PM
And the good news is, the Donx are raked 26th in the NFL in pass D yielding an average of 237 yds per game (can you say AIR ELVIS?).
I can't WAIT for Sunday!

Buzzbait
09-19-2000, 08:12 PM
Wow ... talk about two totally unrelated stats. Ok, in 1999 - the Chiefs lost the last game of the year, failing to win the division and reach the playoffs.

This year, the Broncos are one of the Top 5 scoring offenses in the NFL. I think they're 15 for 15 on trips in the red zone.

Anders was responsible for most of that average last year - what's he up to now?

Dude, you crack me up sometimes... ok, sorry. Keep going. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Snapper
09-19-2000, 08:15 PM
Johnny Boy,
That was last year and it doesn't mean squat! The biggest reason why the Chiefs swept the Donx last year was because the Donx could NOT run on us. IMHO, the BIGGEST mistake thet Raye could make is to try and FORCE the run. If we do and we fall behind early - we're done. I do NOT fear Denver's pass defense at all and I agree that it should be attacked and exploited. However, I would NOT throw the quick out routs, I'd throw most everything DOWNFIELD. I'd get them playing the pass and then RUN! I hope that Raye and Runther see it that way too. To try to force the run will be a mistake. The Donx can be had if we stay close!!!

Mult9
09-19-2000, 08:16 PM
Keep telling yourself that, Mile High. It will make you feel better. KC will bring a potent offense into Denver this week and the Donx D will not be able to stop it. As for the donx O, they will meet a real D this week, not like the Mickey mouse Ds of Oakland and StL.

G_Man
09-19-2000, 08:18 PM
Brad - How many of those 15 are field goals and how many are TD's?

[This message has been edited by morphius (edited 09-19-2000).]

Mult9
09-19-2000, 08:20 PM
Fan TX, stop being so timid. We swept denver last year and outscored them 42-20. We gained 182 yds per game rushing. Now we have the passing weapons to stay with them stride for stride. The only way this game is close is if Kurt's D suddenly collapses. Chiefs D has allowed 20, 17 and 3 points this year.
Stop being so imtimidated by the Donx O. The defenses thay have played this year are not that impressive.

Snapper
09-19-2000, 08:24 PM
I really can't believe that Donkey Drew (Vance) gives the Chiefs ZERO chance!! Too funny!!! He must have missed the Cowboy game last night. I'll admit that I don't like our chances, but we do have a chance. The Donx do NOT lose many at Mile High, but who has beaten them the most there during the last 10 years??? That's exactly why I give the Chiefs a chance. Let's see what happens!

Buzzbait
09-19-2000, 08:25 PM
Ok, could someone please notate the *good* defenses that Denver will face this season ... just for my own sanity.

All I heard last week from most of you was, "Finally - Denver will face a good defense and you'll see they're not all that great of an offense with Griese."

Now, I'm told the Raiders actually just flat out suck on defense and it's the CHIEFS that will bring the real challenge. Ok, just trying to keep count.

KCJohnny ... I don't have to keep telling myself anything. I know that Denver's defense is suspect at times, but they're improving ... they allowed 7 versus Atlanta and 17 against Oakland in Oakland.

KC has one great game and all of a sudden it's going to be a trend.. well hell, Denver has had three great offensive games. So, that's 3 to 1 ... I guess Denver wins.

Morph for your question - I think it was 7 or 8 TDs and the rest were FGs.

Snapper
09-19-2000, 08:28 PM
Johnny,
It's me - Steve M. Your advice is falling on deaf ears. Being timid has nothing to do with it - being realistic does. Hey, didn't the Donx sweep us the year before that. I bet most Donx fans thought how you're thinking now. Boy, did they get surprised last year. Say what you want, but the Donx play well at Mile Home. I believe we have a chance, but not a good one. Anyway, GLAD to see you on the Planet BB!!

Buzzbait
09-19-2000, 08:32 PM
Proctor... I don't mean this in a bad way, but I love your posts - they crack me up. Ultimate homer, buddy!

Every team has a *chance* to win any game during any given week. Look at the Bears last year vs KC. Or, Denver at the Rams this year - they damn near pulled it off.

KC has a chance... it's slim, but there is a chance.

GO BRONCOS!

Snapper
09-19-2000, 08:35 PM
Brad,
Oakland does have a good defense. What did them in was all the early turnovers. The Chiefs D can do something better than most any "D" and that is force turnovers. I know that the Donx have NOT turned the ball over that much. Shoot, Griese hasn't thrown a pick (yet) but something will might give on Sunday. What I fear the most about the game is the Chiefs SORRY special teams. I know that the Donx Special Teams aren't playing that well either, but Nedney is better than Stoyo. Stoyo will have to MAKE every kick for the Chiefs to have a chance and our defense MUST create tuenovers.

Buzzbait
09-19-2000, 08:42 PM
Steve M... I agree.

Hey - you're in Dallas, right? So am I.
Where are you watching the game?

If it's on TV, then I'm staying home. If not, then I may go to Rock Bottom (Broncos hangout) in Addison. Where's the Chiefs' bar?

I have no fear of haning in enemy territory... obviously.

Buzzbait
09-19-2000, 08:43 PM
dammit ... "hanging" Spelling is fundamental.

Snapper
09-19-2000, 08:46 PM
Brad,
Nope, I'm in Houston - So I WOULD fear going to a Donx Bar in Big D! *grin*

Buzzbait
09-19-2000, 08:48 PM
Ah well ... could have been fun.

There's usually one or two opposing fans out at the bar, so it's fun to joke around with them. There's always a 'Vance' in the room just trying to piss someone off ... usually me.

Snapper
09-19-2000, 08:56 PM
Yeah,
I KNOW the feeling. There are plenty of Vances at the SRO and they ALL seem to find me.The problem is that they give whatever team they support a bad name and sometimes people attribute thir actions to all fans of that same team. Shoot, one of my close buds, who invites me over to his house to watch Sunday Ticket is a Donx fan and he can be a "Vance" too! He used to go by the moniker - Gene Fowler on the Star's BB - remember him??? We've been going at it since the days of Morten and Dawson!

Buzzbait
09-19-2000, 09:11 PM
Too funny ... yeah, I went to college with 2 die hard KC fans and I used to work with 2 other close friends that loved the Chiefs.

(holding back the tears..) I guess that's why I like it hear. (sniff sniff)

Ok, I have to go...

Michael Michigan
09-20-2000, 12:19 AM
In the Cunningham era the Chiefs have held Denver to under 20 points more than any other team has done vs Shanahan. That being said, Shanny is going to have a tremendous gameplan ready for us trying to expose our rookies and our zone coverages. So our coaches must be up to the challenge. It is a different Denver team rght now than the one we faced late last year. We cannot afford missed tackles and turnovers. Denver can be had, but we must pressure the QB. Elvis cannot make mistakes, and we cannot afford to get ultra conservative unless we're running the ball like Denver did against Oakland last week. Sauerbrun should boom them in the mile high atmosphere, and Stoyo needs to be on top of his game. It'll be a tough matchup...

Buzzbait
09-20-2000, 06:00 AM
Please keep in mind that this team is not the 1999 Broncos ... hopefully, we all can recognize that last year's Broncos' team had their wheels fly off in the first two games.

KC should be applauded for their victories, but 1 year is not a trend. Let's see what happens.

Buzzbait
09-20-2000, 06:01 AM
Also, in the Cunningham era, the Chiefs are... 10-9.

Michael Michigan
09-20-2000, 10:38 AM
Cunningham era starting with him at defensive coordinator and including last year...

Mult9
09-20-2000, 10:42 AM
Since Gun came to KC, Chiefs are 6-4 vs. Donx.

AustinChief
09-20-2000, 07:43 PM
Brad,

Don't forget

In the Cunningham era as a HC

<H2>The Broncos are 8-11</H2>

Just a thought you know....

------------------
Misplaced Chiefs Fan
Red and Gold on the Warpath
Nightwolf Graphics (http://www.nightwolfgraphics.com)

[This message has been edited by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan (edited 09-20-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan (edited 09-20-2000).]

G_Man
09-20-2000, 07:47 PM
Dan - It would be entertaining to watch what happens after our RB's break through the line.

Mult9
09-21-2000, 07:02 AM
Bottom line:
If KC's RBs are going to have a breakout game, this should be it. Denver knows they can't stop the maulball express, and now they have to account for Slymo and Tony G as well. It feels good to finally be the team with all the weapons.

Buzzbait
09-21-2000, 07:06 AM
Misplaced... believe me, I know that - you guys won't let me forget.

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/frown.gif

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-21-2000, 07:23 AM
I am not advocating claming up into a conservative shell, but this could be Moreau's breakout game.

Luz
give moreau the ball...

Boise_Chief
09-21-2000, 08:11 AM
KCJ -

I know you are the "Ultimate Homer" (which is fine with me by the way, I love the optimism), but when you say "It feels good to finally be the team with all the weapons", I'm wondering how that is necessarily true.

We have an excellent Tight End. There is no questioning that position. We have a burgeoning weapon in SlyMo, but the other WR's are avg. at best. We have a slightly above avg. QB and no NFL caliber backup (Warren Moon should be coaching, not playing). There are multiple RB's in the backfield, but all of them except TR are questionable at best. Moreau has shown some explosiveness, but still carries a 2.8 yd/carry.

What am I missing with this new found weaponry that we so boldly possess?

ChiTown
~a homer, but not a blind one

Mult9
09-22-2000, 08:29 AM
AS far as weapons, look at the topic. The Chiefs gained 365 yds rushing vs. Denver (including a 177 yd game in Mile High) without the Superstar RBs everyone thinks is so necessary. The RB talent is there for a 150+ rushing performance. Tony Richardson has some nice #s and still leads the team in carries, so Moreau is not the main "weapon."
KC has scored 47 points in their last 2 trips to Mile High, so I don't really see scoring as a problem. Tony Gonzales, Derrick Alexander and Sly Morris are weapons that the Donx must account for and we also have Troy Drayton at TE, a proven NFL vet.
Your estimation of Grbac is appallingly biased, as he proved last week that he can throw with the big boys.
I am not saying that Chiefs have more/less weapons than Denver; I AM saying that Denver has to account for all of KC's offensive players on the field in a way that they have not had to in recent times. The formulae used to be to stack the box and stop the run, make KC beat you with the pass. Well that is not going to cut it this year, just ask the Bolts. Denver's pass D gave up 435 yds to Kurt Warner and KC will be able to get multiple score with half that much yardage, as well as run the ball well against a Donx run D that is averaging 5.0 ypc (so I've read on the BB).
Denver should win, but if they do, they will have to really work for it.
Gun is 2-0 vs. Shanny.<BR>