PDA

View Full Version : Rushing Out of a Three Wide Receiver Set

Ugly Duck
09-27-2000, 01:40 PM
Here is an interesting quote out of Monday's newspaper edition of the USA Today on the Chiefs-Broncos game.

<html>
"The Chiefs, who had virtually no running game up to that point, rushed for 31 of their 49 yards during five of their last six attempts. It helped that the Chiefs were using a lot of three receiver sets on their final drives, opening up rushing lanes."

</html>

That's when TRich popped one for 15 yards. I would love to see more of this during the game. Sure would take a lot of pressure off the running game and more on the opposing defenses. I hope the coaching staff was paying attention to that.

Dan

Go Chiefs!<BR>

Mosbonian
09-27-2000, 01:44 PM
This has allways amazed me...we pass out of the 'I' formation, but we dont run out of a 3 wide set, typically.

G_Man
09-27-2000, 01:50 PM
This is one other thing I was hoping the Chiefs staff would learn, now we just have to wait to see how and or if they use it.

flowergirl
09-27-2000, 01:52 PM
All I can think to say is...

DUH! Wake up Gunther!

DoktorSmith
09-27-2000, 01:59 PM
It shouldn't matter if we pass or run out of any set, as long as I as a dumb fan can't predict what they are going to do because of the way we lined up. I have little experience with football formations, but I know 9 times out of 10 with three wide we will pass it, we need to mix it up more than that.

Ugly Duck
09-27-2000, 02:34 PM
DoubleWannaB, I agree we have to mix it up more with any formation.

I like the three wide set because opposing defenses couldn't cheat up to stop the run as easy and it spreads the field. With our new found passing game, this could be a very potent play in our offense. That is if our coaching staff uses it and mixes it up well. They were willing to open up the offense so I have my fingers crossed.

Dan

[This message has been edited by The_Grand_Illusion (edited 09-27-2000).]

DaKCMan AP
09-27-2000, 06:35 PM
I agree that we should run more out of the three-wide set, but, although I didn't SEE the game, I imagine it was easier to rush at that point in the game as Denver would likely have been in a two-minute type defense.