PDA

View Full Version : How come chester never gets any props for his play?

Fern Dog
09-27-2000, 12:04 PM
I know that glock jumps off sides alot but i hate to think where our d would be without his presure up the middle. and it looks like dan williams is finally playing for all that cash carl threw at him!

Luzap
09-27-2000, 12:09 PM
Uh - ohh! Chief Mohawk, how well do you "know" Clint?

flowergirl
09-27-2000, 12:09 PM
Probably because he averages 1 or 2 tackles per game, and probably 1/10th of a sack per game...even though the rest of the D-line has stepped up big time, especially compared to last season.

I heard from others on this BB that Glock's numbers were going to go up when the ends started producing. I guess I heard wrong.

shakesthecat
09-27-2000, 12:11 PM
Wasn't it Chester who pushed through and hit Frerotte's arm, creating the game clinching INT last week? I saw the replay 3 or 4 times, but still wasn't sure if Hicks or Glock made that play.

Little help here...

ct

Mosbonian
09-27-2000, 12:14 PM
LOL! right in Clint's wheel house...needless to say, it didnt take long.

Does anyone know why the 'ends started producing'? Someone whisper to Clint that maybe it was cause of the double teams that Glock takes to be blocked.

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-27-2000, 12:14 PM
Yes Cotyt, but since that isn't an official statistic, it doesn't count and you can't use it to defend/support Chester.

Luz
playing by clint's rules...

Fern Dog
09-27-2000, 12:17 PM
I am from wichita but i dont know clint. Maybe you guys have a good point about the lack of tackles, because you dont hear his name called alot, but the point i was trying to make was that his presence in the middle does help our d line even though the individual stats dont meet our standards that you would like to see.

flowergirl
09-27-2000, 12:18 PM
So, I guess that opponents are just going to single block Hicks, allowing him to get about 15 or 16 sacks, rather than single block the oh-so-dangerous McGlockton who might just go nuts and get 4 or 5 sacks.

flowergirl
09-27-2000, 12:19 PM
Like I've said before, I'd be perfectly happy with McGlockton's performance...if he made about $500,000 to $750,000 per season.

shakesthecat
09-27-2000, 12:19 PM
Tx Luz, I was hoping for a clarification before proceeding.

Just one quick Q for Clint: Who would you prefer to play NT for KC? And how much do you feel this position is worth in cap terms, to a defense?

OK, so I have 2 quick questions.

ct

Mosbonian
09-27-2000, 12:20 PM
Mohawk: you are correct. His presence up the middle does stuff the run that way. We have been weak around the end, but havent been beat up the middle.

Glock did cause the game winning play and Clint did give the defense credit for the win against the broncos but obviously doesnt include Glock in that credit.

flowergirl
09-27-2000, 12:23 PM
Wow. He made a difference FOR ONCE. IMO he's only the 3rd best DL in the starting lineup behind Hicks and Williams. I'd bet that Clemons will easily surpass him when he gets his arse healthy.

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-27-2000, 12:23 PM
Mohawk,

Also understand that my responce is a tad on the sarcastic side!

Clint and I have been around the block on this one and the boy just refuses to listen to common sense http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Luz
very glad we have chester...

Fern Dog
09-27-2000, 12:34 PM
I wonder what the stats would be on where clemons and hicks got most of there sacks at on the field? if most of the sacks were on the edges than i would say that the presure up the middle is good, but it seems like alot of the yards on the ground that the other team has got are plays that are bounced to the outside. I maybe wrong because i have not got to see all of the games on tv but i do not take a thing away from clemons or hicks because i think that they are playing very good.

G_Man
09-27-2000, 12:44 PM
Mohawk - I will add something to the mix. This year the Chiefs have started to do something a little different then in the past, they are actually using stunts. A couple of Hicks sacks have been because of Chester taking his 2 guys far enough out of the way that Hicks has clear saling. There is one play that sticks out in my mind in the Chargers game, Chester pushed his two lineman back into the tackle who was trying to get around and stop the stunt, and he pushed all 3 guys backwards. That sack was all Chester, he was even standing there celebrating, because he knew it wouldn't have happened without him.

G_Man
09-27-2000, 12:45 PM
Does anyone know where to find data on how often teams run the ball towards Chester? I would find that very interesting.

shakesthecat
09-27-2000, 12:47 PM
Sorry Morph, but there is no official record of that play in my stat sheet. You can't prove that ever happened, and therefore cannot use that as supporting evidence toward any logical point whatsoever.

ct

[This message has been edited by coryt (edited 09-27-2000).]

Dog Day
09-27-2000, 12:48 PM
Maybe because he's a classless scumbag?<P>

G_Man
09-27-2000, 12:51 PM
Cory - Don't make me go get my videotape!

Morphius
Hoping he doesn't ask for it cause I don't have one.

shakesthecat
09-27-2000, 12:52 PM
Hey Drew,

I think you were looking for that other topic discussing the lack of respect for Romo. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

ct

G_Man
09-27-2000, 12:55 PM
Cory - Don't pick on Romo, the poor guy is probably still laying on the ground after the hit that TRich layed him out with.

Fern Dog
09-27-2000, 12:55 PM
I guess i did'nt know it was taboo to talk about chester's performance, just curious that not much is said about his play. http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

Luzap
09-27-2000, 01:03 PM
It's not taboo, mohawk. It is to Clint who is too busy crying over spilled milk (Glock's contract) to credit the man for making some plays happen.

flowergirl
09-27-2000, 01:09 PM
IMO he isn't even the best DT on the team. I would give that honor to Dan Williams. He's quicker & has a better motor.

I don't dislike the guy...but his performance this year is almost EXACTLY like last year's so far, even though the other D-linemen have improved tremendously.

Glock isn't the only one getting double-teamed, nor is he getting doubled nearly as often as last year. Watch him closely, and you'll see.

Luzap
09-27-2000, 01:16 PM
Let me get this straight, Clint. You don't like Glock because of his cap # but you do like Dan Williams? Besides his 2 sack performance, what has Williams done that Glock hasn't? Hell, Williams was relegated to the bench for Browning earlier in the season....

flowergirl
09-27-2000, 01:18 PM
Williams needs to be shown the door as well, IMO, but at least KC gets a LITTLE more bang for the buck out of DW.

I wish we still had Tom Barndt.

Michael Michigan
09-27-2000, 02:33 PM
The ONLY reason our outside pass rush has done anything is because Glock and DW are shutting down the middle and drawing the attention in there. That is why Hicks and Clemons have looked good. Chet also helped cause the clinching INT, Patton gave him major props for that...

Michael Michigan
09-27-2000, 02:35 PM
Clint,
You have got to be kidding about Barndt. He was the biggest pu$$y on the team. Every time he had to line up inthe middle teams were able to run it up the gut. He had some nice plays in between but he was WAY too inconsistent and soft, which is why he's playing for the Bengals now...

shakesthecat
09-28-2000, 08:31 AM
Clint,

What in the HELL are you talkin about?!?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Helvetica, verdana, ariel">quote:</font><HR>
"IMO he isn't even the best DT on the team. I would give that honor to Dan Williams. He's quicker & has a better motor."

..and followed by..

"Williams needs to be shown the door as well, IMO, but at least KC gets a LITTLE more bang for the buck out of DW."
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

So, Dan Williams is our best Defensive Tackle, but he needs to be shown the door?
WHAT??? http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/confused.gif

Remember DT, fearsome OLB, our belated hero? There were many critics of DT around NFL circles. The claims were he was not a complete LB, weak against the run, weak in pass coverage. And there is some validity to these arguments. At times, it seemed he just did not show up at all for games, you never heard his name called all day long. But make no mistake about it, his presence was a major factor in each and every game. Every KC defender felt it, every opponents offensive player felt it, and every coach on both sidelines felt it. When a dominating defender is a focal point of the offensive game plan,
THAT is a major impact, whether you see thier name in the box score or not.

Try this on for size:

"Glock worries me a bit, I heard an interview with Pete Kendall on the radio and after reviewing game film, Pete says Glock is playing better than ever..." - Joe Seahawk
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put down your box scores, and open your eyes, Clint. Players make plays that never show on stat sheets.

------------------
[b]ct
Give TRich the Ball!!!</B>

Mosbonian
09-28-2000, 08:43 AM
It's called cognative dissonance. When one is confronted by ideas or facts that are at odds with his pre-existing notions, the human psyche develops a static that has the power to distort or even block perception.

shakesthecat
09-28-2000, 08:54 AM
OUCH Greg!!! That sounds very much like every Chief fan I've ever met! Especially ME!! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/eek.gif

I desparately hope you are exagerating.

------------------
[b]ct

flowergirl
09-28-2000, 09:06 AM
What am I talking about? It's quite simple: IMO, DW and Glock BOTH need to either take tremendous pay cuts, or be traded due to their bloated cap numbers.

"Put down your box scores, and open your eyes, Clint. Players make plays that never show on stat sheets."

I agree, but all the same guys that put up great numbers on stat sheets are the SAME ONES that make plays that DON'T show up on stat sheets, like DT. Glock NEVER puts up great numbers. Why is he the only so-called "great" player in the league that NEVER puts up great numbers, even in big games? Other "great" defensive tackles can, at least occasionally, put up big-time numbers, regardless of the talent around them.

I've asked this more than once: Now that the rest of the DL has stepped up, why haven't Glock's numbers improved? Poor DE play was the standard excuse for Glock's pathetic numbers last year. What's going to be the excuse this year?

[This message has been edited by Clint in Wichita (edited 09-28-2000).]

flowergirl
09-28-2000, 09:07 AM
Titus, you're just trying to compensate for getting your a*s kicked in the Bono debate by Cannibal.

Have "hot, steamy sex" with McGlockton! http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

shakesthecat
09-28-2000, 09:30 AM
If Clint is HC, and you cut Glock and DW, who then plays DefTackle? What is this positions' value towards the total cap? How much would you pay your two DTs?

------------------
[b]ct

Mosbonian
09-28-2000, 09:30 AM
Clint: LMAO...compensate for what? Im pretty sure it wasnt me who made an *** of himself. Obviously, you didnt read the posts either.

not suprising.

flowergirl
09-28-2000, 09:33 AM
Oh, believe me, I read every word of that thread. You got your a*s kicked. Attempting to act dignified and mature changes nothing. You lost.

flowergirl
09-28-2000, 09:36 AM
CoryT,

I'd be happy with a rotation of Ransom, Martin, and Browning at DT. I'm sure those guys can "clog up the middle" as well as any other fat, slow DT. KC would take a cap hit in the short term, but in the near future that money could be spent on players that might actually make a measureable contribution.

Mosbonian
09-28-2000, 09:36 AM
(deleted dbl post)

[This message has been edited by KCTitus (edited 09-28-2000).]

Mosbonian
09-28-2000, 09:37 AM
Clint: coming from you, that's a compliment. If you think I 'lost' that 'great' debate, I know for a fact I 'won'.

If you want to be a punk about it, too, feel free to email me at the address I posted. You can prove your intellect as well to me. LOL!

flowergirl
09-28-2000, 09:39 AM
"Clint: coming from you, that's a compliment. If you think I 'lost' that 'great' debate, I know for a fact I 'won'."

ROTFLMAO!!!!

Well, I guess I was wrong about acting mature.

I'm rubber and you're glue. What you say bounces off me and sticks to you.

Mosbonian
09-28-2000, 09:40 AM
You're right, you're not mature...nice post, is that the best you can come up with. Email me...we can discuss.

flowergirl
09-28-2000, 09:43 AM
Na nanny boo-boo, stick your head in doo-doo!

Mosbonian
09-28-2000, 09:50 AM
good one...you might want to save stuff this good when your objectivity is once again called into question.

This is too easy.

flowergirl
09-28-2000, 09:58 AM
You'd have to be an idiot to "question my objectivity", because I never claimed to be objective in the first place!

I said I wanted Dan Williams and Chester McGlockton OUT OF KC! If you read that and think that I'm trying to establish any sort of objectivity, you are delusional.

G_Man
09-28-2000, 09:58 AM
Titus - So Canibal was still trying to say that you thought Bono was going to take us to the SB because you said it was stupid of Schottheimer to try to suddenly switch from a team that relied on the run to a team that suddenly tried to rely on the weak excuse for an arm of Bono and lost because of it? Yeah, I see the logic there.

flowergirl
09-28-2000, 10:07 AM
He's "through with that thread". Maybe you can e-mail him and talk about it.

Mosbonian
09-28-2000, 10:07 AM
Morph: apparently so, it made sense to Cannibal and his twin Clint.

Clint: yes I said objectivity, of course, to understand, one would have to remember and comprehend our previous discussions about this subject, which would also require memory retention. Do you have to work at being this stupid or does it just come natural. Your statements about him being the worst DT in the league jumps to mind as something that lacks objectivity as well as your entirely conflicting statements on this thread.

Im trying not to laugh.

shakesthecat
09-28-2000, 10:08 AM
All attempts at LOGIC within this thread is a waste of time. Clint and Titis would rather thumb thier noses at each other all day. Have fun boys! Come again when you can't stay so long!

------------------
[b]ct

flowergirl
09-28-2000, 10:10 AM
You're right. I'm not being objective. It's my O-P-I-N-I-O-N that Glock is one of the least productive starting DTs in the NFL.

Just like it's your opinion that coaching is the only reason that KC lost that '95 playoff game, and not Elliot's 3 missed FGs & 1 missed extra point, or Bono's 3 INTs.

flowergirl
09-28-2000, 10:11 AM
CoryT,

I did manage to respond to you about Glock.

mikey23545
09-28-2000, 10:13 AM
The bottom line is that Schottenheimer had us in a position to win the game. The lack of skill position talent is what lost the game. Three interceptions by your boy and three missed field goals and a missed extra point. Titus said it was not Bono's or Elliot's fault, but Marty Schottenheimers. If those two worthless players had done their jobs we would have won the game.

Let me clue you guys into to a simple concept...

You cannot run the ball for TD's on everydown. Eventually you're going to have to use the QB and the field goal kicker. And our QB and field goal kicker both belonged on the bench from day one.

I ask you again...

How far would we have gone in the playoffs with Steve Bono and Lin Elliot?

elvislivesinkc
09-28-2000, 11:36 AM
Glock has been getting better penetration this year but the fact remains, for the money that he is making, all that penetration should result in more tackles and more sacks. I've seen more excuses for Chester than any other Chief player Elvis and Carl included.

On the topic of wasted money, our OL should have to refund 80% of their paychecks for the abominable run blocking that is going on. Shields isn't going to get his big payday if KC only averages 2.0 a carry.

dnvrCHIEFSfn
09-28-2000, 02:57 PM
"It's my O-P-I-N-I-O-N that Glock is one of the least productive starting DTs in the NFL."

Holmgren's opinion, " But it appears to me, their defensive line, they’re very much in sync with their pass rush and Chester McGlockton is an outstanding player. He is a load. He kind of anchors the middle there. They have a good defensive line.
http://www.seahawks.com/home/seahawks_mainpage.cfm?cont_id=28874

Hummm, guess who's opinion means more Clint.

Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get...<BR>

shakesthecat
09-28-2000, 03:04 PM
Exactly my point way back towards the end of #28. If the opposition is concerned about Chester in particular, then there really is no argument. He IS making an impact for our defense!!

------------------
[b]ct

flowergirl
09-28-2000, 03:07 PM
Wonderful. Holmgren likes Chester. He also liked Gilbert Brown. If he's more concerned about Glock than any other KC D-lineman, he's making a mistake. Hicks will continue to rack up sacks until other teams realize that Glock is no sack machine.

flowergirl
09-28-2000, 03:09 PM
and he's still not worth $3-4 million per season.

shakesthecat
09-28-2000, 03:12 PM
Clint,

"Na nanny boo-boo, stick your head in doo-doo!"
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/tongue.gif

------------------
[b]ct

dnvrCHIEFSfn
09-28-2000, 03:23 PM
Hicks is getting the sacks because of Glock.

If I could find the exact quote I would, but Hicks said as much after the first 2 games.

micin
09-28-2000, 03:39 PM
What are you talking about? Chester gets plenty of props. A couple times a game he recognized for being in the nuetral zone. When it is all said and done, this will go down as one of the most bone headed moves by the Peterson administration. Trading for and then signing of the league most well known cancers. It is no coincidence that the Chiefs havent made the playoffs since Chesters arrival. The guy is a loser who plays when he feels like playing. If he gave 100%, all the time, AND if he stayed out of the nuetral zone, I would have a different opinion. Al Davis turned the tables on Carl Peterson. First, he takes Gannon, then he gives Chester, than his team eliminates the Chiefs last year. I cant wait to see what happens next.

ck_IN
09-28-2000, 03:48 PM
Uh, Gannon was still here when we got Glock...

This repititive boring diatribe brought you by none other than...

micin
09-28-2000, 03:51 PM
Stevey Ray,

Does Oakland have Gannon? Yes

Did they give the Chiefs their problem (Chester) Yes

Did they knock the chiefs out of the playoffs? Yes

What dont you understand about this?

ck_IN
09-28-2000, 03:59 PM
Kent, I don't understand how you think your opinion outweighs that of Holmgren or dozens of professional NFL analysts. I'm sure Glock would have no problem finding work in this watered down league...Have you been jilted by Carl? You are borderline stalker.

Where was Gannon during the playoffs?

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-28-2000, 04:34 PM
Great!

Now we've got Clint saying that Holmgren is dead wrong in his evaluation of player talent.

We've also got Packfan saying... well, he's saying the same thing he always says.

I guess you two football genuses are just over my head (and Holmgren's).

Luz
oops, i forgot to include cannibal...

micin
09-28-2000, 09:19 PM
Stevey,

Gannon was at home in the playoffs. I am not a big Gannon fan. However, he is better than Presley.

Luzap,

What the hell do you think Holmgren is going to say? "Chester sucks and he is always jumping of sides". Smart coaches always compliment their opponent. Dont be such a jag-off, Luzap. Holmgren wouldnt give a squirt of piss for Chester. He had a Chester clone on his team (Sam Adams) and he was released this off season.

I am sure you were one of the Chief fans that ripped on Chester PRIOR to his arrival.

crazychiefsfan
09-28-2000, 09:23 PM
First post to this board. I've been lurking here since the breakup. I never posted on the other board because they pulled it off Usenet and put it on the Web a few years ago. Too commercial for me, so I boycotted.

I don't usually post, but I can't pass this one up.

Luz - 'Genuses'. Now that's a Freudian slip if I ever saw one!

Yosef_Malkovitch
09-28-2000, 10:14 PM
That's right Packfan.

Just like when you were saying that 'everyone' knew that Grbac was a loser (except, of course, Schottenheimer, Cunningham, Shannahan, Seifert, and Holmgren).

Lurker ~ touche`

Luz
i've got to start proof reading...