PDA

View Full Version : Schottenheimer was not smashmouth...

DoubleWannaB
09-15-2000, 12:02 PM
I have read here and there that people are calling Schottenheimer a smashmouth football coach. Well actually he wasn't. He wanted to adopt the West Coast offense which is clearly a pass based offense (hence all of the former 49er QB's) Just wanted to clear up a frustrating misconception that I see pop up from time to time.

Gracie Dean
09-15-2000, 12:09 PM
I'm convinced that that whole "West coast offence" crap we heard from Marty's mouth every year was just lip-service. Marty was a smashmouth coach from day 1 and while he talked about the Chiefs having a west coast O, we all know we were smashmouth to the core.... I guess we'll just have to disagree, bishop.

Clint in Wichita
09-15-2000, 12:13 PM
Sad thing is it took Marty 9 years before declaring that they must "Throw down the mantle of conservatism." Ironically that ended up being his worst season ever. He just didn't know how to do it...

09-15-2000, 12:27 PM
Marty wasn't smashmouth? What? West Coast Offense? Get ****ing real.

Marty popularized the BIG back. Kevin Mack, Okoye, Barry Word.

Kevin Mack and Earnest Byner BOTH has 1000 yards in the SAME season.

Come on...Marty took his philosophy from Cleveland to KC and his #1 assistant, Bill Cowher, took it to Pittsburg.

------------------
Parker
ChiefsPlanet Administrator
Jimmy Raye for President...anything to get him out of Kansas City
[i]More Moreau</I>

Gracie Dean
09-15-2000, 12:32 PM
Wait a minute, Parker. I thought Miami was the only team in history with 2 1000 yard backs in a season....

milkman
09-15-2000, 12:37 PM
Come on we were definitly a West Coast team. You can't tell me that you have forgooten all the slant routes and crossing patterns we ran for years, oh wait, my bad, I don't remember those either. But, hey we threw the ball to Anders (on third down) a lot, and that was stolen from the west coast offense.

DoubleWannaB
09-15-2000, 12:41 PM
htismaque, this is true when he took over the team in '89, however was drowned by the Montanna era and Schottenheimers "new vision". However, you are right, it is unfortunate that he didn't realize the mistake of his conservatism until it was too late...

Cannibal
09-15-2000, 12:57 PM
I don't think we were a smashmouth team during the Montana experiment. All the other years, definately. Okoye and Word redefined smashmouth.

Clint in Wichita
09-15-2000, 02:07 PM
The difference between the Montana era and all the other times was that he actually had a QB for 2 years that he couldn't play the "just don't lose us the game" card. Montana was one of the rare QB's that you counted on to win it for you. Especially with the crap we had on offense (Birden, Davis, Cash)...

09-15-2000, 02:17 PM
Grbac did very well with quality personnel and a GREAT system in San Francisco. We now have quality personnel. If only we had good coaching, we might have something that would win a few games.

------------------
Parker
ChiefsPlanet Administrator
Jimmy Raye for President...anything to get him out of Kansas City
[i]More Moreau</I>