PDA

View Full Version : Keys to beating Holmgren's Hawks

Mile High Mania
09-25-2000, 11:14 PM
Last year Gun and crew looked at their most dazed and confused against Holmgren and his crew. The 31 pts they put up on us at Arrowhead was embarrassing and must not happen again. Last year Ricky Watters killed us. Running, receiving, and especially on the dreaded screen pass.

I still haven't seen the '00 Chiefs stop the screen. Even in our victories we gave up big plays to that call. Schott must design a defensive scheme that can protect against the screen while still attacking and punishing Kitna.

------------------
AZChief

Remember Kansas City's hero, Joe Delaney #37.

[This message has been edited by AZChief (edited 09-26-2000).]

Buzzbait
09-25-2000, 11:25 PM
Screen passes to Ricky Watters AND Shawn Alexander... http://www.ChiefsPlanet.com/ubb/eek.gif
Good luck..

Ricky has refused to talk to the media since minicamp...Not one quote..Kinda strange he's happy, and having a very good year, running harder than I have ever seen him run.

Ricky takes a lot of critisism but he really is the heart of our offense....Joe

Ricky is on a mission...

------------------
"How about that Pac-10!!"

Mile High Mania
09-25-2000, 11:30 PM
I agree he is the heart of your Offense. I usually only get to see the Hawks a few times a year (twice vs. KC of course) but he always plays with a lot of heart. I still think it's classic that he and Gruny played together at ND. I couldn't think of two other people with such opposite personalities. Well, maybe Keyshawn and Chrebet! LOL...If we lose to that damn screen play I will be so furious at Schott. His whole, extra long week should be filled with creating schemes to defeat it!

AZ

Stuckinbama
09-26-2000, 12:05 AM
IF we can stop the run, and make Kitna beat us, we will win. I have alot of faith in our secondary - it's getting better with every game!

Of course actually stopping a screen pass would be nice also. If we can't stop it, how about ONE of our own to someone other than a FAT RB...like maybe one to Mike Cloud or something! *grin*

CHIEFCOW
09-26-2000, 12:26 AM
I like our chances at home. TX is right, if we can contain Watters and force Kitna to throw it, we should be ok. Our offense has shown us something new lately, the abiltiy to score points WITHOUT an effective running game. A few weeks ago, I didn't think we would ever do that. If we ever get a running game, look out!

shakesthecat
09-26-2000, 04:42 AM
Regarding a defensive scheme to stop the screen...

It's already in place. In case you hadn't noticed, we're playing a lot more zone this year. It'll be easier for the LBs to read since they'll be covering an area and not a man. Likewise the CB won't be cleared out of the area by the WR's release.

Baby Lee
09-26-2000, 05:41 AM
Forgive me everyone for saying this, but I think we CAN run against Seattle. Although, if we do pass, let's not go at Shawn Springs.

Baby Lee
09-26-2000, 05:51 AM
Let me elaborate. The Hawks stats through 4 games:
Miami-181 yards
St. Louis-97
new Orleans-117
San Diego-91

When you add it up, that's 121.5 ypg. We MUST run the ball against Seattle, IMHO.

Hoover
09-26-2000, 08:12 AM
Stuff the run, put a spy on Watters, make Kitna throw. They are young at the tackles and that will not be to thier advantage at Arrowhead

DoktorSmith
09-26-2000, 08:39 AM
We have been getting pressure on the QB with our front four. That was not the case last season. Since we are not FORCED to blitz, our LBs should be able to contain the screen. In addition, we picked up Bush, and that is supposed to be one of his fortes.

My major concern is that Holmgren seriously out-coached Gunther twice last season. Did Gunther learn from that experience?

xoxo~
gaz
ready to return to Arrowhead and unleash the D Dogs.<BR>

milkman
09-26-2000, 08:42 AM
Gaz - It sounds like their offense has been going with lots of shorter passes to protect Kitna, that might work well against our weak zone D. We will have to force Kitna to make some mistakes, and we can only hope that Gun has learned how to stop him.

Buzzbait
09-26-2000, 08:47 AM
Gaz,
You are right ..If the Chiefs can put serious pressure on Kitna without blitzing, Kitna could really struggle, however if Kitna gets time he will dink and dunk you to the point of insanity.

I really have a feeling special teams are going to play a big part in this game..
just a hunch....Joe

Iowanian
09-26-2000, 08:55 AM
Offense needs to pass more than run. If they are going to run, come up with a different plan than right up the middle.

Defense needs to rush the $hit out of Kitna. What ever happened to the old KC defense that every QB feared? We don't rush anymore, which used to be what KC was all about.

------------------
TWB
Less Government in 2000

DoktorSmith
09-26-2000, 08:56 AM
Joe-

If we can continue to bring pressure on the QB <CRUSH HIM!> without blitzing, our LBs can handle the screens. And if we can continue to bring pressure on the QB <CRUSH HIM!> with the front four, we can blitz when we want. Blitzing for effect and fear is incomparably better than blitzing to get pressure.

Last year, we could not get to the Kitna without blitzing and he took excellent advantage of us when we sent a blitzer. Kitna had a career day taking advantage of our pathetic blitz schemes <SCHOTTENHEIMER SUCKS!>. This year, we are bringing the heat with the front four. I expect a lot more Kitna Kollisions this season.

xoxo~
gaz
primed for some serious QB-crushing.<BR>

Quarterback
09-26-2000, 09:03 AM
On the subject of QB crushers, any word on Clemmons? Our pass rush was noticibly diminished last week without him on the right end.

KC Jones
09-26-2000, 09:03 AM
I think Gaz just got depressed after not being able to see an opposing QB leave the game due to injury last week. If our front four play up to their potential there is no reason Gaz can't see what he always wants, pure crushing delight.

Bwana
09-26-2000, 10:44 AM
Joe -

When you talk about ST's being a key, are you talking about the kicking games, field positioning, return game, or ???.

Just interested because I know little about the Seahawks ST's, but would care to be enlightened. You are probably painfully aware of the Chiefs woes already, so I'll spare you the gorey details.

Chi

Madstork
09-26-2000, 03:28 PM
Your right got to stop the run and make Kitna beat us. Kitna leads the NFL in interceptions thrown (7). Make him throw the ball put pressure on him and hopefully that he can 2-3 more.

------------------
CHIEFS DOMINATE IN 2000 (Do it for #58)
take your best shot ... then pick yourself up off your back ... and take it back to the sidelines!

Buzzbait
09-26-2000, 04:57 PM
Chi-town,
Our return man Charlie Rogers is amazing, last year he led the league in returns and I have a hunch he will be a factor Monday night..He was benched for the New Orleans game for missing a team meeting, after patching things up with Holmgren he started against San Diego ..

Unfortunately he was trying so hard to make something happen that he fumbled twice!!
I just have a feeling he is going to redeem himself this week(as long as he holds on to the ball) The guy is a very good return man...Joe